Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8862

Subject: "Since I was the ONLY one to call it..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."

I'm almost sure that this whole Ben thing is an April Fools Joke. I don't wanna ruin it if it is but people are really buying into something that doesn't seem right. There's been no word (or even rumors) from Incubus sources, they already have an amazing bass player (and if he WAS leaving, that'd be big news), and Ben seems to be telling people different things (touring with Incubus, doign another album with The Roots, etc). If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...but I ain't believing this one until April 1st.

Maybe Ben was just on some "If I could hear people at my own funeral" type ish.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn
Mar 18th 2003
I think we'll see when...
Mar 18th 2003
RE: I think we'll see when...
Mar 18th 2003
      I do agree it is strange...
Mar 18th 2003
           RE: I do agree it is strange...
Mar 18th 2003
                Yep, you've got things buzzing over there now!!
Mar 18th 2003
not a joke
Mar 18th 2003
RE: not a joke
Mar 18th 2003
confused too
Mar 18th 2003
RE: confused too
Mar 18th 2003
Mar 18th 2003
Mar 18th 2003
Mar 18th 2003
                they announced it at the philly show.
Mar 18th 2003
Some more info...
Mar 19th 2003
why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said
Mar 18th 2003
RE: why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said
Mar 18th 2003
VERNON REID!!
Mar 18th 2003
RE: VERNON REID!!
Mar 19th 2003
RE: why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said
Mar 21st 2003
Is that the sound...
Mar 19th 2003
oh shit
Mar 21st 2003
Mar 21st 2003
dayum
Mar 21st 2003
Mar 21st 2003
Mar 22nd 2003
Vernon Reid
Mar 18th 2003
this is what I heard
Mar 18th 2003
damn, they'll be in Japan at the same time
Mar 18th 2003
hah! it says fuck you oka
Mar 18th 2003
RE: Vernon Reid
Mar 19th 2003
god forbid this to be a prank
Mar 18th 2003
did you say, "you need...
Mar 18th 2003
i may have
Mar 19th 2003
RE: god forbid this to be a prank
Mar 18th 2003
RE: god forbid this to be a prank
Mar 19th 2003
haha.
Mar 19th 2003
      ive always wanted to say gander.
Mar 19th 2003
i have been gone for two months
Mar 19th 2003
btw..
Mar 21st 2003
Vernon
Mar 21st 2003
RE: Vernon
Mar 21st 2003
Mar 24th 2003
Mar 24th 2003
Uriah Duffy
Mar 21st 2003
RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it...
Mar 21st 2003
Mar 22nd 2003
Mar 22nd 2003
Mar 23rd 2003
           shows
Mar 23rd 2003
                can`t wait!
Mar 24th 2003
I need ya'll to be specific for me...
Mar 22nd 2003
About the long term
Mar 22nd 2003
      RE: About the long term
Mar 24th 2003
incuheads
Mar 25th 2003
RE: incuheads
Mar 25th 2003
RE: incuheads
Mar 25th 2003
no word quest, yet
Mar 25th 2003
Mar 25th 2003

rawlakid
Charter member
8323 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

thats a valid point..............

you'll be fat joe, she'll be a burger and fries- (c) justin_scott on relationships....

-RawLa- (c) 2003

The resident oKchicAno =)

okplayer Ever on hip hop shows:

"Ever: Only at a fukin' backpacker show do you find beautiful girls who don't get hit on by the guys.

Alfred:I know, Lame ass backpackers prolly

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 11:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I think we'll see when..."
In response to Reply # 0

...folks in Europe make mention of him (not) performing at the shows. You did see the news page, right? Sorry, I don't think this is an April Fool's joke. ks

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I predict...................Nadal will embarrass dudes" - Deebot

http://www.facebook.com/kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat/

Ryan M
43743 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 12:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: I think we'll see when..."
In response to Reply # 2

What I'm saying is this...if my theory is correct, I'm sure Ben really needs the time off right now for something (otherwise, I'm sure he'd be playing)...he's not just sitting out to sit out. Like I said, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but things don't seem to add up is all...

17x NBA Champions

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 01:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I do agree it is strange..."
In response to Reply # 3

...that things are so quiet on the Incubus front. Like, crickets-chirping quiet!! I do wish they'd announce something--I want to know why Dirk is leaving. I was just on a couple of Incubus sites and no one on their message boards has posted about it. I didn't post anything because I figure most of them wouldn't believe it. I doubt many of the people that post there know about The Roots or Okayplayer. But when the news does hit (from a source they'll believe), those boards are going to blow up! There'll be a bunch of "Who's Ben Kenney?" posts just like there used to be here! ks

Ryan M
43743 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 02:02 PM

7. "RE: I do agree it is strange..."
In response to Reply # 6

Word...I just posted on IncubusOnline. Eff the haters if they don't believe it...but I'm bummed that Dirk's leaving. Dude's amazing. Also, I'm kinda irked that Incubus would steal Ben like that...but it's a business. I was hoping Ben was gonna be added as a second guitar player...I definitely think Incubus would sound dope with 2 guitarists (something I definitely wouldn't have said when SCIENCE dropped, but now it seems more feasible).

Either way, things are about to get interesting.

17x NBA Champions

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 07:25 PM

22. "Yep, you've got things buzzing over there now!!"
In response to Reply # 7

LOL! I know, like I said when the original post came out, as a big Incubus fan (but a bigger Roots fan), I have mixed feelings about this whole situation. I'm sorry Dirk and Ben are leaving/left their respective bands, but I am excited to see how Ben does with Incubus. And I feel bad for ?uest having to scramble for a (temporary) replacement...sounds like he's none too pleased about this. If Vernon Reid is only likely to play Europe, it'll be interesting to see who plays the shows once they get back to the States. I was hoping Ben would stick around through May so I could see him at the Portland show. <pout> Really looking forward to Lollapalooza, though! ks

P.S. Is it just me, or is IncubusOnline Pop-Up Land!?! WTF!?! I had to close no less than 10 ads, I swear! Grrrr...

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 12:50 PM

4. "not a joke"
In response to Reply # 0

which is why im kinda miffed at that QUEST OWES ME HIS LIFE CAUSE HE AINT SHOW UP TO VIRGIN!!!!!!!!!!! post.

friday was nightmarish---shieeet---i'm still teaching vernon reid the show via cell phone as we speak.

ben is in incubus now--which means i gotta start from ground zero again (rebuilding show) so "pardon me" if i couldn't send a memo to the people who i owe an explaination---but i was juggling rehersing formats for the nyc guests (think "all for one" sounds easy? sheeeeeeeeit), and auditoning new guitar dudes, and changing clothes for show in 2 hours flat.

no ben is gone my friend--and i'm paying for it in sweat.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Ryan M
43743 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 01:23 PM

5. "RE: not a joke"
In response to Reply # 4

Damn...well, all things considered, I guess it does make sense. Not that this is any of your responsibility or business ?uest, but do you have any idea why Incubus hasn't said anything about this? A band member leaving is huge news...just curious.

Anyway, I appreciate the comment. It's not very often artists really interact with their fans, so even though I know you've heard/read it a thousand times, thanks for attempting to break down that barrier.

17x NBA Champions

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 02:07 PM

8. "confused too"
In response to Reply # 5

i dont know....
maybe it was a malik thing.
maybe it was a dez dickerson/wendy melvoin thing.
maybe it was a pete best (or was it guest?) thing.

(ask for references...)

on the real the way the news was broken to you kinda miffed me because we didn't know how to handle it. but i woulda definately thought that my dallas person woulda saw it strange that we aint mention it here first (i know cats can't wait to blurb exclusive news round here if we don't post it first)--however when i told them that in interview i thought i would at least have a 2 to 3 week window of which to break it to you guys.

(future note to my "okayfriends", if i say something kinda crucial note that we would like to break it first--even if i say it in an interview)

ok---im done.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 02:42 PM

9. "RE: confused too"
In response to Reply # 8

>i dont know....
>maybe it was a malik thing.
>maybe it was a dez dickerson/wendy melvoin thing.
>maybe it was a pete best (or was it guest?) thing.
>
>(ask for references...)
>
>on the real the way the news was broken to you kinda miffed
>me because we didn't know how to handle it. but i woulda
>definately thought that my dallas person woulda saw it
>strange that we aint mention it here first (i know cats
>can't wait to blurb exclusive news round here if we don't
>post it first)--however when i told them that in interview i
>thought i would at least have a 2 to 3 week window of which
>to break it to you guys.
>
>(future note to my "okayfriends", if i say something kinda
>crucial note that we would like to break it first--even if i
>say it in an interview)
>
>ok---im done.

Aight man. are you guys gonna add anyone new, or what? take another guitarist? not play songs with guitar in them for the live show?

spectre
Member since Mar 18th 2003
1 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 02:54 PM

10. "RE: confused too"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey, Im a webmaster at IncubusOnline and I'm here trying to corroborate the source on this... I've been hearing rumors for weeks about dirk quitting or being kicked out or whatever... but nothing concrete.

Let me explain...
About a month ago I got a message from former incubus DJ Gavin Koppel, he said something like, 'ask dirk what he's doing now that he got kicked out of the band'. Gavin can be quite bitter when it comes to talking about his former bandmates, so I payed no mind.

Now that this stuff about Ben is comming up, I still cant find anything that directly states that he'll be joining the band. Any type of reference would be much appreciated.

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 02:59 PM

11. "RE: confused too"
In response to Reply # 10

I think the post fell off the board. I believe it was entitled "Good News/Bad News"

Ryan M
43743 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 03:26 PM

12. "RE: confused too"
In response to Reply # 10

Hi, I'm Ryan...I posted the message on IncubusOnline...

There was a post on here called "Good News/Bad News" that wasn't archived and has since dissapeared. A member did an interview with ?uestlove and posted that Ben would be leaving the band to join Incubus as their new bass player (as the post above mine says, and what ?uest was alluding to up there as well). Besides what is on the main page about Ben leaving, there is really not much that's official. Qoolquest is The Roots' drummer, and has said in this post that Ben is leaving to join Incubus. On the Incubus side, as you know, nothing's been said.

About Gavin...I've gotten into it with him many times on the IO board, but this time he just might be right.

17x NBA Champions

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "they announced it at the philly show."
In response to Reply # 12

DivaBrown
Member since Mar 12th 2003
3 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 10:03 AM

28. "Some more info..."
In response to Reply # 5

I have a friend in music that told me that Incubus is suing their label, SONY. Their trying to get out of their contract, it's causing problems with the band and that's what their primary concern seems to be. The announcement of a new bass player is probably on a back-burner until they resolve their label issues.

I also found the following info at www.enjoyincubus.com.

"INCUBUS might be taking a break for a bit, but that doesn't mean the band members are....
Mike Einziger and Jose Pasillas recently played a special show with The Time-Lapse Consortium (on January 24) at The Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles, CA. It was an instrumental voyage into the world of psychedelic funk and featured the musical talents of
Michael Einziger (Incubus)
Jose Pasillas II (Incubus)
Suzi Katayama
Ben Kenney (The Roots)
Neal Evans (Soulive)
and accompanied by an 11-piece orchestra!
A special appearance was made by Brandon Boyd who joined the The Time-Lapse Consortium for two tunes including this one, "Certain Shade of Lounge".

am

am

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 03:43 PM

14. "why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said"
In response to Reply # 4

he was teaching parts to

the man is a guitar hero

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

Kerig
Charter member
244 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 03:56 PM

15. "RE: why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said"
In response to Reply # 14

That's what I was thinking. Does this mean Vernon is doing a couple of shows in NY or what? That would be incredible.

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 04:50 PM

17. "VERNON REID!!"

Lord.. I wish I was gonna be in the hizzy for that shit... I grew up on him.. aight back to invisible lock/delete mode

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 03:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "RE: VERNON REID!!"
In response to Reply # 17

cosign
i saw that and i did a double take...
!? <---

7below
Member since Mar 21st 2003
3 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 11:02 AM

35. "RE: why hasn't anyone noticed who ?uest said"

First off...this is my first OK post. I've been lurkin and checkin this site out for more than year now. I get exposed to more new music here than video and radio combined. So for that let me say, "Thank You". I had the opportunity to meet ?uest in St. Louis back in September at one of his DJ shows and I felt like crap when he asked me if I posted. So here I am...finally.

About me: 28, male, Attorney, guitarist, reppin the STL (and no I don't like Nelly) now living in B-more. Been listening to the Roots since Proceed and was hooked after the remixes of Silent Treatment!!!

Now...on to my reply:

I had the same damn thought when I saw this post. ?uest teaching Veron!?!?!!?. In my opinion, Vernon and Living Colour started this whole rap/rock thing (by mistake...the never tried to be a rap group althouth Vernon did do guitar work for Public Enemey). After them you had bands like Faith No More, Urban Dance Squad...and later Korn, Lip Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc. They all need to pay homage!!!!

However...none of them could touch LC musically. That band was a SUPER rock band. Every member was a master of their instrument!
Vernon is a truly a guitar virtuoso!!!

My two cents.

slimkid
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
609 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 12:06 PM

29. "Is that the sound..."
In response to Reply # 4

...of Incubus falling off? Just curious. Let me start it off by saying, yes, Incubus is a dope band. However, when a founding member leaves the band, something usually leaves with that member. I've never heard Ben play the bass, but Dirk Lance is sick, a crucial part of the early Incubus formula I must say. When the band's first DJ left, they definitely moved away from the experimental drum and bass sounds that made S.C.I.E.N.C.E. such a dope album. And Dirk Lance dropped some crazy ass bass on the album too. If you take a peak at Morning View, you can spend all day looking for that experimental side and never find it. It was like the band as a whole got minimized on that album to bring the vocals and (some) guitar to the forefront....and now D.Lance is leaving. I'm telling you, that guy was a crucial part of the formula.

And not to knock Ben at all...he did some dope stuff on Phrenology, I was really excited to see him continue with the band based upon what they came up with on the latest release. He seemed like a good fit with the band. Really, maybe his time with the Roots will bring some funk and edginess back to Incubus. As usual, time will tell, but I'm curious to hear what y'all think.

Peace

----------------------------
For Love

Resin WorldWide:
We are NOT hip hop. No matter what Mos Def says.
http://www.myspace.com/resinworldwide

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 05:57 PM

41. "oh shit"
In response to Reply # 29

dirk left?

.zero.

jamscratch
Member since Mar 21st 2003
7 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
34. "RE: not a joke"
In response to Reply # 4

Does anyone know the deal with the guitarist auditions? I am a Philadelphia jazz/rock guitarist at Drexel University in the Music Industry Program, and I want to know how I can be heard. I know the whole Phrenology show (I taped the $2 bill show) thanks

ii V I's in the 215

Jilasijah
Charter member
3534 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 11:45 AM

37. "dayum"
In response to Reply # 4

Sorry to hear this. Ben was a great addition. Best of luck filling the void.

"War is not the answer. For only love can conquer hate." - Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On?"

Alpine
Member since Feb 21st 2003
3178 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 10:25 PM

43. "RE: not a joke"
In response to Reply # 4

?uest and some people in here took my post all wrong. i wasn't demanding an explanation. i just wanted to know what went wrong that you and black thought didn't show up. the people at Virgin didn't say a thing and just moved us along like cattle.

besides i wrote the post as soon as i got home.
a leader who does not hesitate before he sends his nation to battle is not fit to be a leader

Only by his actions can a man make himself and his life whole.

i need to see president Bush on the front lines like ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie battling musolini for freedom

Alpine--Da beneficent
Da beneficent

------------------------------------

The strange dream in my dream world...

http://www.myspace.com/695595

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/GreedySmurf_2007/1ec8506183c1946.jpg

MU
Member since Nov 10th 2002
454 posts
Sat Mar-22-03 05:04 PM

46. "RE: not a joke"
In response to Reply # 4

Too bad I'll never see Ben performing with The Roots. I'm from Slovenia and I've been a fan since '94 when they had a show here. Last time I saw them was '99 in Munich and I'm going to see them this tuesday in Munich again. But I think Vernon will be great. That will be a Legend joining the Legendary. It just depends on the chemistry between them all.

-----------------------------
www.myspace.com/murat3
www.myspace.com/yoyocuts
www.radyoyo.si
www.muratjose.si

Brockology
Charter member
216 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 04:35 PM

16. "Vernon Reid"
In response to Reply # 0

that's real cool

but is it long term are only temp
i'm guessing temp seeing that he
has alot of other dates on his site

http://www.vernon-reid.com/

that would be crazy if he in it for the long haul

www.thebooksthatbrockread.com

twitter: @B_as_in_Brock

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 04:54 PM

18. "this is what I heard"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Mar-18-03 04:56 PM

that nothing has been confirmed with VR yet BUT that he and ?uest have been talking for a little while (a DAT recording of the Seattle show was mailed to him). What I heard is that if VR does play, it will probably just be for the Europe dates as he does in fact have an album that is about to drop and he'll be on the road supporting that.

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 04:59 PM

19. "damn, they'll be in Japan at the same time"
Tue Mar-18-03 04:59 PM

that rules at least the Japan leg out

hah, just speculating

Vernon Reid Live Dates
with Jack Bruce & The Cuicoland Express

4/04 Blue Note Fukuoka
4/05 Blue Note Fukuoka
4/06 Blue Note Fukuoka
4/08 Blue Note Osaka
4/09 Blue Note Osaka
4/10 Blue Note Osaka

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 05:15 PM

20. "hah! it says fuck you oka"
In response to Reply # 19

who oka? im just playin. this no time to make jokes. i just hope everything works out. ben just fit. simple as that. it is as if he just showed up her one day, and was immediately accepted by us, the fans, as if hed been here since the beginning. it just shows the respect us fans had and have for ben and his work. i wish him luck, as i am an incubus fan as well and for that this is not a goodbye for me and ben, its just a 'see you at the next toronto incubus concert, b!' well, nuff said. i just hope ben keeps posting on okayplayer, his posts are so valid and witty.

peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

drac
Member since Mar 07th 2003
11 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 02:44 AM

26. "RE: Vernon Reid"

How funny - just last week on another message board the topic was "List bands you really miss" and I mentioned Living Color, asking "What the hell else is Vernon Reid up to these days, anyway?" Guess I have my answer. Great news!

"There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers."
--Captain Beefheart

dgonsh
10693 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 05:16 PM

21. "god forbid this to be a prank"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont beleive that statement, but if by chance it were an april fools joke, i might go crazy after all the supporting things i said about ben and the group. this is why i cant believe such a rumor. give some credible sources, and ill take a gander/

peace, dgonsh

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 08:24 PM

23. "did you say, "you need..."
In response to Reply # 21

some credible sources" ?

dgonsh
10693 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 04:39 PM

31. "i may have"
In response to Reply # 23

not to make excuses, but all i was saying is i dont believe shit like that unless theres credible information to prove it true. quest, you, steve were enough to make me believe the statement was false. "i shoulda said i would find it appreciative"but i think ill move on and not dwell on the past. cool?

peace, dgonsh

NewfangledHoiPoloi
Member since Feb 16th 2003
265 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 09:27 PM

24. "RE: god forbid this to be a prank"

i'm pretty sure ?uest is a reliable source.

dgonsh
10693 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 04:41 PM

33. "RE: god forbid this to be a prank"
In response to Reply # 24

i know, i agree. i meant sources to tell me that it was a fool joke, even though i dont believe it. quest is definately credible enough. i think you know what i was trying to say. well leave it at that

peace, dgonsh

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 03:11 AM

27. "haha."

> give some credible sources, and ill
>take a gander/

dgonsh
10693 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 04:39 PM

32. "ive always wanted to say gander."
In response to Reply # 27

peace, dgonsh

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 02:09 AM

25. "i have been gone for two months"
In response to Reply # 0

will someone PLEASE tell me what the hell has been going on here.

i leave and u hooligans take over? i must put my house back in order.

so please

someone give me a rundown of all the shit that has been going on.

especially ben

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

prophet j
Member since Aug 22nd 2002
10109 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 11:26 AM

36. "btw.."
In response to Reply # 0

what's happening to the origional bassist in incubus?

- - - - -

peace & love

- - - - -

peace & love

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 01:15 PM

38. "Vernon"
In response to Reply # 0

Is a guitar god, IMHO his talent would be wasted by performing with the roots, unless of course they changed it up so that the music is more guitar based...one minor complaint I had about having Ben in the group was I thought he was underused. Hearing Ben in the roots, I couldn't really judge how good of a guitarist he was cuz the roots show didn't really focus on the guitar. I remember a while back I heard some news that Living Colour was recording a new album, hope that is still happening...

"I’m like shot clocks, Interstate cops, and blood clots, my point is your flow gets stop." -Black Star "Hater Players"

roll on you Bears....

thaifood
Charter member
9 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 01:59 PM

39. "RE: Vernon"
In response to Reply # 38

Damn, I haven't posted in many many months, but I've been cruising the boards looking for interesting ish...

Ben Kinney joining Incubus, that's some shit. They're a dope band, but I hope you find a suitable replacement soon, ?uest. So I'm assuming the taping of the performance on the Chapelle show was done a few weeks ago before he left?

-t

eskimoluv
Member since Feb 28th 2003
296 posts
Mon Mar-24-03 03:17 AM

51. "RE: Vernon"
In response to Reply # 38
Mon Mar-24-03 03:17 AM

checkout http://www.livingcolournet.com for most living colour updates.
vernon's site : www.vernon-reid.com has not been updated since last march 2002; so those dates are/were last years information.

also fyi : living colour has been signed to Sanctuary Records and presently are recording a new album.
for those that don't know as well, Will Calhoun and Doug Wimbish (drummer and bassist) are Mos Def's Black Jack Johnson w/ Bad Brains guitarist Dr. Know and P-funk keyboardist Bernie Worrell.

www.willcalhoun.com
www.dougwimbish.com (www.novasoundstudios.com)

http://www.LivingColour.com
http://www.facebook.com/LivingColour
http://twitter.com/LivingColour
http://instagram.com/livingcolourofficial

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Mar-24-03 09:28 AM

54. "RE: Vernon"
In response to Reply # 51

And also the Yahoo/eGroups Living Colour e-mailing list

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacredground/

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

OneDurgirl
Member since Feb 06th 2003
463 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 05:30 PM

40. "Uriah Duffy"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-21-03 05:31 PM

Coming through with a shameless plug...
Sad to hear that Ben has left, but on a different note I have another idea for a replacement uh hmm, Uriah Duffy (dude is bad!!) http://www.uriahduffy.com/
that is all.

"When in doubt. . . mumble." ~Origin Unknown

OGSolo
Member since Jan 04th 2003
5 posts
Fri Mar-21-03 10:09 PM

42. "RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."
In response to Reply # 0

This is the first post from a long-time fan who just booked his tickets for the April 12th show in Osaka. Interesting to note that Vernon will be playing at the same club two nights before. I agree with previous posts that you can`t add Vernon Reid without considerably changing the sound of the band. I guess I don`t consider the Roots to be a band that needs a guitar player, seeing as they tend not to empasize instrumental solos (during songs, that is). To add Vernon would seem to call for some more space in the songs for that kind of soloing. I am not saying that would be a bad thing, but it seems unlikely.

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sat Mar-22-03 01:03 AM

44. "RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."
In response to Reply # 42

I guess I don`t consider the Roots to be a band that
>needs a guitar player, seeing as they tend not to empasize
>instrumental solos

uh...when's the last time you been to a roots show?

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

mc_otis
Charter member
11 posts
Sat Mar-22-03 10:26 AM

45. "RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."
In response to Reply # 44

> I guess I don`t consider the Roots to be a band that
>>needs a guitar player, seeing as they tend not to empasize
>>instrumental solos
>
>uh...when's the last time you been to a roots show?

HEY QUEST!

Is there anywhere I could send a cd to audition??? I'd love the opportunity to show what I could bring to the overall musicianship of the band...and I feel I got the skills ta' boot. You probably get requests like this all the time, right? I'm from Seattle, but I can totally email some audio clips...I'll do anything to audition. Thank you for your time!

Peace.

J.D. Richards
Seattle, WA.

OGSolo
5 posts
Sun Mar-23-03 03:12 AM

49. "RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."
In response to Reply # 44

OK. I am an idiot. It HAS been quite a while, in fact, impossibly long as I calculate it (with an unknown Macy Gray opening, under a tent in Boston, Everlast??? that WAS a long time ago). and, as I further realize that your question was rhetorical, I think I should probably just shut the hell up.

but, i do think of the roots instrumentally as collectively playing without a focus on one instrumentalist at a time (aside from literal solos where there is nobody else playing), with occasional exceptions. my comment was more directed to solos within songs. a lot of the live stuff has really musically interesting intros, outros and segues, often featuring less than the whole band, but i never listen to a roots song waiting for the instrumental solos (though definitely listening for what the instrumentalists are going to do). that`s just my perception from what i have heard. i am probably completely wrong, and i look forward to hearing how the band sounds in Osaka. thanks for coming over here!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sun Mar-23-03 04:12 AM

50. "shows"
In response to Reply # 49

change 3 times a year. slowly but surely. indeed a guitarist is vital to show.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

OGSolo
5 posts
Mon Mar-24-03 03:38 AM

52. "can`t wait!"
In response to Reply # 50

wish i didn`t have to work during the other shows.

Natural Mystic
Charter member

47. "I need ya'll to be specific for me..."
In response to Reply # 0

im a SERIOUS fan of incubus, and i've done some traveling between here and there (there being incubus' main site, enjoyincubus.com). to read this is kinda odd...

i just want to know... because ben did a show with 2 of the members of incubus under the non-de-plume "time-lapse consortium." so is Quest talking about Ben playing thoses gigs or is he talking about incubus as a WHOLE?

thanks.
love.

~*I'm not crazy. Your brain is just lazy.*~

Moby Dick
Member since Mar 22nd 2003
97 posts
Sat Mar-22-03 11:56 PM

48. "About the long term"
In response to Reply # 47

Will the replacement be someone with tie-ins from the OKP family (a Jeff Lee Johnson, perhaps)? or another unknown as the aforementioned whom we all learned to appreciate (unnamed to kill off those freaky April Fool vibe ? Just curious. Feel free to create preposterous rumors. Oh, and hi with a cherry on pop.

"...touch football sometime?"
Kerouac

"When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro"
HST

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Mar-24-03 06:13 AM

53. "RE: About the long term"
In response to Reply # 48

well.good luck quest,this must be a big pain in the ass for you.have u done a show yet with the new guitarist?

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.â€

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Mar-25-03 05:02 AM

55. "incuheads"
In response to Reply # 0

has the band broken the news yet?

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

JAPrincess
Member since Jun 27th 2002
551 posts
Tue Mar-25-03 05:42 AM

56. "RE: incuheads"
In response to Reply # 55

Not that I can tell.

Check out my column "Pantylines" and www.geoclan.com

TekzillaOhioSt
Member since Sep 18th 2002
6861 posts
Tue Mar-25-03 01:11 PM

58. "RE: incuheads"

nothing so far. i even emailed the cats over at both big incubus fan sites, no word back yet.

dgonsh
10693 posts
Tue Mar-25-03 03:05 PM

59. "no word quest, yet"

the only thing on their web site metioning it is on the boards, from ryan of okayplayer, the guy who posted this. he posted it there, and it didnt turn many heads. most inuheads havent responded to the news positively, optomistically, or happy about ben. they dont believe it.

peace, dgonsh

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Mar-25-03 12:04 PM

57. "RE: Since I was the ONLY one to call it..."
In response to Reply # 0

1) I don't know if it's been asked and answered already, but what's with the facination with the more rock and rollesque sound?

2) Did Vernon Reid tell you to keep detials about future works on a tight lipped basis?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8862 Previous topic | Next topic