Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8404

Subject: "And your point is......." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
duceodom
Member since May 09th 2003
22 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 06:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"And your point is......."

Firstly I"d like to say thank you to all the people who have been loyal and unbiased listener to anything that I've done to date. Let me say this in my own defense;it is not easy when your trying to please everyone at the same time. When I say everyone I mean the listeners, the record companys, and myself. What the listeners want to hear is generally always different than what the record companys want to sell. So being an artist who loves music isn't always the easiest of jobs. When I go into the studio and create with who ever I'm working with I have to try to please everybody at the same time. Not saying that I'm complaining, because I love my job. Just know that there's no way that any person can make these unrealistic goals come true. Yes, I would love it if everyone who ever listened enjoyed everything I do; but the truth is that is just not possible. No matter how much I would like for that to be; it just ain't gonna happen. For those people who were at the Las Vegas show at the H.O.B. I sincerely apolgize! I was truly not myself that night once again not making excuses for myself I was wrong; but I think being a human entitles me to a few mistakes from time to time. What I can promise, is that will never happen when I'm the one headlining. I was the opening act and that's what I did, I opened. There are also people who feel that my recordings aren't as good as my live show(when I'm in my right mind of course)and they are right. Maybe if could sell more records the company would grant me a live album. All I know is I'm doing the best I can with what I have. I don't have videos, or radio play, or a company that will spend the money to make sure that people get to see the entire vision. So since I'm working with a bunch of incompletes I really don't think I'm doing that bad. I wish more people understood the struggle; but that's not your job. Your job is to buy the music that moves you and if what I'm doing isn't today hopefully it will tomorrow. Thanks to everyone gets, and sorrry to everyone that doesn't. But whatever you do don't stop lovin' the music. 'Cause when the love is gone that's when the music dies; and I don't think any of us want to see that happen. Or do we? By the way I am Jaguar Wright.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You have been felt JW
Jun 05th 2003
up..
Jun 05th 2003
your show at the hob in no
Jun 05th 2003
RE: And your point is.......
Jun 05th 2003
jag u are awesome
Jun 05th 2003
understand and disagree about 1 thing
Jun 05th 2003
RE: understand and disagree about 1 thing
Jun 05th 2003
      I'm not naive
Jun 05th 2003
Didn't care for the album, BUT...
Jun 05th 2003
co-sign
Jun 06th 2003
Your feet are beautiful.
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
WTF happened in Vegas?
Jun 05th 2003
Ms. Lady
Jun 05th 2003
I get deleted so often in okartist
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
(((((JAG)))))
Jun 05th 2003
ha...
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
umm
Jun 05th 2003
WE LOVE YOU JAGUAR
Jun 05th 2003
Ditto!
Jun 05th 2003
At Least I Bought Your Album
Jun 05th 2003
RE: At Least I Bought Your Album
Jun 05th 2003
Keep doing it Jag
Jun 05th 2003
keep doing your thing mama
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 06th 2003
Jun 06th 2003
tell em why you happy son!!!!!!
Jun 06th 2003
Yeah what did happen with that??
Jun 06th 2003
lmao
Jun 08th 2003
Nother reason why...
Jun 06th 2003
************JAG****************88
Jun 06th 2003
love ya jag
Jun 06th 2003
NIGGA WHAT!!!!!!
Jun 08th 2003
:-D
Jun 06th 2003
Keep on!
Jun 06th 2003
Jun 06th 2003
jag you kick ass
Jun 06th 2003
admitting you were wrong
Jun 06th 2003
just do you
Jun 06th 2003
i bought the album
Jun 06th 2003
Jun 06th 2003
Jun 06th 2003
PEACE, JAG!
Jun 06th 2003
P A R A G R A P H S .
Jun 07th 2003
Jun 07th 2003
RE: MAD PROPS/UDASHIIIIII
Jun 07th 2003
I finally heard the song
Jun 08th 2003
blessings
Jun 08th 2003
I love you!
Jun 08th 2003
why we love jag.....
Jun 08th 2003
Do You Girl!!
Jun 09th 2003

Tariq3
Charter member
5461 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 06:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You have been felt JW"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for even taking the time to explaing your case. I can appreciate and respect that. I can definitely relate to working with a bunch of "incompletes". While, I'm not a huge fan of your music interaction like this alway opens me up to give more ear to what I may have previously dismissed. Nevertheless, keep doing what you love and appreciate the time that God has blessed you to be able to do it professionally.

*returns to the basement*

------------------------------------------------------------
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You).
Ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be
worshipped except You). Astaghfiruka

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 06:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "up.."
In response to Reply # 0

thembi
Member since Feb 05th 2003
9009 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 06:59 AM

3. "your show at the hob in no"
In response to Reply # 0

was nice i like your new joints fuck mca for the way they r treating u do your thing & fuck everybody else may ra bless

the world is a toll-free toilet-george clinton

SHFE_MC
Member since Jun 05th 2003
8 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:17 AM

4. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Like Bobby McFerrin told us all back in da day......
"don't worry......be happy". You're doin' your thang. F anyone who says different. I'M JUST SORRY I MISSED YOUR SHOW HERE AT THE CONGA ROOM HERE IN L.A. NOT TOO LONG AGO (THE SISTERS FILING OUT OF THAT PLACE WHEN I ARRIVED BORE WITNESS TO HOW YOU GET DOWN)! WHEWW! WHEN YOU COMIN' BACK TO L.A. AGAIN? AND ARE YOU BRINGIN' SOME MORE HONIES WITCHU?
stay up sis

www.dirtymo.com
http://groups.msn.com/THEBESTOFBLACKMEN

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "jag u are awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

delusions was so dope, and the new cut is great

fuck the haters

just dont kill me please...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

krewcial
Charter member
3268 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:36 AM

6. "understand and disagree about 1 thing"
In response to Reply # 0

>Let me say this in my own defense;it is not
>easy when your trying to please everyone at the same time.
>When I say everyone I mean the listeners, the record
>companys, and myself. What the listeners want to hear is
>generally always different than what the record companys
>want to sell. So being an artist who loves music isn't
>always the easiest of jobs. When I go into the studio and
>create with who ever I'm working with I have to try to
>please everybody at the same time.

Why not just do what YOU want to do, and not try to make a mix of every possible person involved. In the end, I'm buying a Jaguar Wright record, so all I'm expecting is YOUR vision.

In the long run, doing what YOU want/need to express is the only option IMHO ... otherwise you always end up with some sort of compromise, and people are gonna blame YOU for whatever's wrong with that, since you're the artist.

So, since you're going to take the blame and criticism anyway, you might as well go all out and do your thing 100%.

And find a record company willing to support your vision AFTER completing a record. That way you don't have to use 'the label' as an excuse.

That's my main criticism of a lot of artists today ... I wish artists wouldn't be so preoccupied with the label's view, but do their thing and have the courage to tell their label to fuck off if they don't like it. No artist is married to a label, and it's an illusion to think that you'll vanish once a label drops you.

In a worst case scenario this means keeping a half time job to pay the rent and food ... so what ?

By the way, I liked your first album a lot, and your new single sounds great too. And forgive my rant, it's not directed at you, but something in your post triggered this reaction.

krewcial
|

krewcial
www.krewcial.com
www.myspace.com/krewcial
www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23051&forum=lesson

http://www.23hq.com/krewcial/photo/1085564?album_id=1085556

Nashville recording sessions : www.krewcial.com/nashville

_JP
Member since Jan 29th 2003
2433 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 03:51 PM

23. "RE: understand and disagree about 1 thing"
In response to Reply # 6

>That's my main criticism of a lot of artists today ... I
>wish artists wouldn't be so preoccupied with the label's
>view, but do their thing and have the courage to tell their
>label to fuck off if they don't like it. No artist is
>married to a label

It's called a contract.

Marriage: a legally binding agreement, entered into by an man and woman, to live together as husband and wife.

Contract: a legally binding agreement, between 2 parties, to provide goods and services

Notice the similarities in the definitions

>and it's an illusion to think that
>you'll vanish once a label drops you.

Maybe, but what if the label doesn't drop you. What if they keep you under contract but never allow you to record. Or what if they keep postponing your release date. You very nieve if you don't think the labels have that type of power.

<------- The most important release of 2006, coming on July 23.
UPDATE: It's a boy!!!!!!

krewcial
Charter member
3268 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:21 PM

28. "I'm not naive"
In response to Reply # 23

I just wish artists were less naive when signing a deal.

There are ways to avoid such a worse case scenario like you described (being signed but not allowed to release albums, nor leave the label).

Any decent lawyer can assist and help you avoid such situations.

If the label doesn't want to sign you cos you're asking for those guarantees then maybe it's not the right label in the first place ...

What's wrong with licensing deals for every album instead of an artist deal for a few albums ?

It depends on what you're looking for as an artist : creative control or money (not saying it's one of the two, it's always a balance between both).

krewcial
|

krewcial
www.krewcial.com
www.myspace.com/krewcial
www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23051&forum=lesson

http://www.23hq.com/krewcial/photo/1085564?album_id=1085556

Nashville recording sessions : www.krewcial.com/nashville

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:37 AM

7. "Didn't care for the album, BUT..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you let more of yourself shine through on record, you'll break through. You've got the talent, the songs, the style.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

WuGambina
Charter member
47817 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 06:02 AM

38. "co-sign"
In response to Reply # 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AAAA-NNNN-GGGG-EEEE-LLLL (c) Dwele

....your technique is magnificent...when cut across the neck a sound like wailing winter winds is heard. I'd always hoped to cut someone like that one day to hear the sound...but to have it happen to my own neck is ridiculous. *gasping for air....dead* (c) GZA

Walking by faith and not by sight....

www.sandeinteriors.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/wugambina

HoChiGrimm
Charter member
6247 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Your feet are beautiful."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------------------------

The Rand (Paul or Ayn) philosophy, putting private property rights at
the same level of human rights, equates the status of things with the
status of human beings. If property is considered equal

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:41 AM

9. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Yo.....keep your head up...I love the live presentation aaaand the album. Peace Queen

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

PAP
Member since May 26th 2002
1483 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:49 AM

10. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Reallyß What is this woman´s point? I mean she´s making great music and we all humans and we all make mistakes(regarding to whatever happened in vegas that night)...

For example i remember how Rakim came here to Germany and this cat did a playback tour and blamed it on some other shit,talkin bout he didn´t have the instrumentals...this really disappointed me that he pulled that one off but still, he a ill mofo...whatever..i really don´t know what the point of this post is...

mixtapes and more: www.papichulo.de coming soon

www.papichulo.de

YOU download music? I bet it´s still fun nowadays to rob people, isn´t it?

YOU got a job for me?

Because of people like you we will be forced to shut down the record store....my vacation might be longer than wanted..

Would y

madmullah
Charter member
198 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:11 AM

11. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Do you girl. That's all we as humans can do is be true to self first. You let that go you let it all go. Deidre (from Overbrook)& Hassan are witcha. Stay up!

Peace. Lets Build.

http://hass.blogs.com/

NotYaAvgBrotha
Charter member
7268 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:33 AM

12. "WTF happened in Vegas?"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't there but I am really curious. I just want to say, I HATE when people use that I wasn't in my right mind defense. You are an adult, if you were not in your right mind, you should have pulled out of the show. You should not have done whatever you did that took you OUT of your right mind, If you really LOVE your job. You say you are not making excuses, but that is exactly what you ARE doing.
I have never had the pleasure of seeing you live but I heard when you are ON, it is amazing. However, I have heard the tales of when you were a little cocktailed.
I liked the debut album and will more than likely cop the new one even though I am not into that One More Drink track. Like the world really needs a song about a gold diggin' alcoholic.
We all need to realize that life is about choices, and they are our choices to make. NOT the label, nor anyone elses.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:38 AM

13. "Ms. Lady"
In response to Reply # 0

If you please YOURSELF, everything else will fall into place. If it doesn't, then you know you did what you felt was RIGHT.

I am a supporter of your music. I see you when you come to the Chi, and I own your album.

Just do your thing and be true to yourself. As a supporter, that's all I ask of Artists.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Heit
Charter member
6159 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:40 AM

14. "I get deleted so often in okartist"
In response to Reply # 0

it's crazy

------------

My Texture is the best Fur:

www.DjFarenheit.com

and this is my first sig EVER:

"Yep, Stuff was stretched out like a research monkey on the floor."

CLEEZY
Member since Jun 16th 2002
606 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 08:47 AM

15. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey SISTA..No need to explain..we know about the corporate bullshit that goes on in the industry...Keep doin what you do because it's hot...This is one fan that gots your back..And for those peeps that was not feelin your last album.. is straight trippin cause that ish was off the hook..Can't wait till the new one drops..keep it up....LOVE

================================================================

R.I.P. JAMES YANCEY aka J-DILLA aka JAY DEE (1974-2006)

"TO MC REQUIRES SKILLS, I DEMAND SOME SHOWN"...(BLACK THOUGHT)

"....BITCHES!!"...(PHONTE)

HeavenLei
Charter member
35941 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 09:04 AM

16. "(((((JAG)))))"
In response to Reply # 0

I still love ya girl.

legato, staccato, andante, forte, fortissimo, piano, allegro, presto.

Shelly
Charter member
15886 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 09:22 AM

17. "ha..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think they understand what constructive criticism is around here. Destructive criticism is more of their style.

He's magically delicious-
Damon !

Shit happens

amsluvme
Member since Jul 28th 2002
19 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 09:52 AM

18. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm usually a lurker, but I had to post this time:

I agree that we all should take responsibility for our actions, and the fact that she acknowledged that whatever she did was f'ed up takes a big person. How many concerts do we go to where someone's drunk/high and doesn't give two shits about what the fan who's paying to see them thinks? I appreciate the fact that Jag was mature enough to learn from whatever happened and apologize for it. To err is human. To learn from our mistakes requires self-actualization, and she should be commended.

Jag - I love your work, and will continue to support you as I have been. Despite all of the societal/record company pressures, you've maintained your uniqueness. Also, I admire the fact that you chose to forego complete mainstream approval in order to stay as true to yourself as possible. God bless.

~~~amsLUVme~~~

Your head's bobbin' and I ain't wrote shit yet...

~~~amsLUVme~~~

Your head's bobbin' and I ain't wrote shit yet..

Delete me
Member since Aug 27th 2002
8611 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "umm"
In response to Reply # 0

i think you're cute.

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 10:37 AM

20. "WE LOVE YOU JAGUAR"
In response to Reply # 0

nigga i been down since 1999, and i remember the first night you blew at the wetlands

its family girl, and i'll always buy your music!

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 12:26 PM

21. "Ditto!"
In response to Reply # 20

-Improv!?, Making big steps for the little steppers

Celebrating June as Reunion Quote Month:
"Get in the fucking car, Eric"---Latenitemix

"I don't wanna get up there. I'm afraid I'ma sound like her"---*******

RIP Simmon and Kapuni...

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

BobGeorge3000
Member since Apr 28th 2003
886 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 02:32 PM

22. "At Least I Bought Your Album"
In response to Reply # 0

and gave it to a friend.

> Firstly I"d like to say thank you to all the people who
>have been loyal and unbiased listener to anything that I've
>done to date. Let me say this in my own defense;it is not
>easy when your trying to please everyone at the same time.
>When I say everyone I mean the listeners, the record
>companys, and myself. What the listeners want to hear is
>generally always different than what the record companys
>want to sell. So being an artist who loves music isn't
>always the easiest of jobs. When I go into the studio and
>create with who ever I'm working with I have to try to
>please everybody at the same time. Not saying that I'm
>complaining, because I love my job. Just know that there's
>no way that any person can make these unrealistic goals come
>true. Yes, I would love it if everyone who ever listened
>enjoyed everything I do; but the truth is that is just not
>possible. No matter how much I would like for that to be; it
>just ain't gonna happen. For those people who were at the
>Las Vegas show at the H.O.B. I sincerely apolgize! I was
>truly not myself that night once again not making excuses
>for myself I was wrong; but I think being a human entitles
>me to a few mistakes from time to time. What I can promise,
>is that will never happen when I'm the one headlining. I was
>the opening act and that's what I did, I opened. There are
>also people who feel that my recordings aren't as good as my
>live show(when I'm in my right mind of course)and they are
>right. Maybe if could sell more records the company would
>grant me a live album. All I know is I'm doing the best I
>can with what I have. I don't have videos, or radio play, or
>a company that will spend the money to make sure that people
>get to see the entire vision. So since I'm working with a
>bunch of incompletes I really don't think I'm doing that
>bad. I wish more people understood the struggle; but that's
>not your job. Your job is to buy the music that moves you
>and if what I'm doing isn't today hopefully it will
>tomorrow. Thanks to everyone gets, and sorrry to everyone
>that doesn't. But whatever you do don't stop lovin' the
>music. 'Cause when the love is gone that's when the music
>dies; and I don't think any of us want to see that happen.
>Or do we? By the way I am Jaguar Wright.

I am Bob George from India
and you are a fucking phony.

I am Bob George From India

squirtle18
Member since Sep 20th 2002
249 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 05:09 PM

24. "RE: At Least I Bought Your Album"
In response to Reply # 22

My blessings are definitely wit ya Jag..........I love what you're doing regardless so keep doin your thing!
----------------------
Tru Hotness: www.mamasboysmusic.com

Blacmajic
Charter member
450 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 05:57 PM

25. "Keep doing it Jag"
In response to Reply # 0

As long as you keep doing you. I will always support you. I've always been down for you. Keep shining Jagua

Ride this muthafucka until the wheels fall off--Martin Lawrence

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 06:43 PM

26. "keep doing your thing mama"
In response to Reply # 0

>All I know is I'm doing the best I can with what I have. I don't have videos, or radio play, or a company that will spend the money to make sure that people get to see the entire vision. So since I'm working with a bunch of incompletes I really don't think I'm doing that bad.

please don't ever stop making music,singing or being who you are

~You only know what you see. You don't understand what it takes to be me~

~Don't let other people's expectations of you determine your choices~

Keondra B
Member since Nov 14th 2002
494 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 07:13 PM

27. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Always lovin you Jag!!

Peace.
K-Beezy
And what's OKP without the sig?

Keondra B...okayplayer's resident Jazzeefan since 2002!

***Love always to the Great Nina Simone***

For the lovers:
I wanna hear your voice, and i won't say that i cry when you're gone.(Your Voice.SantiWhite.Stiffed)
On cherche l'amour sans treve(Amour A Mort.Les Nubians)
Your energy is soothing to my soul.(Beautiful Surprise.India.Arie)
You're young, Black, and gifted. A whole life ahead of you. I love you for that. Would never try to tame you.(Neptune's Jewels.Mystic)
Too big to confine. Too deep to define. This is yours and mine. No stronger tie could bind.(Unconventional Ways.JFN)
I wanna watch you as the sun lights up your eyes. I wanna know when you wake, first thing you see is me. Cause you're all the things i prayed that i would meet.(Tsunami.RES/Santi White)

www.stiffedmusic.com
www.jazzyfatnastees.com
Love. Life. Happiness.

Keondra B...Okayplayer's resident jazzees fan since 2002

In the deck:

Santogold - Santogold
The Dream - Love/Hate
Sarah White "Walk Away"
Telepopmusik "Smile"
Sia "Breathe Me"
Aaradhna "Secret Lover"
Jazmine Sullivan "After the Hurricane"

Jehan
Charter member
10000 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 01:02 AM

29. ""
In response to Reply # 0

Come to London, UK.

Appropriate love will be shown.

Pengedragon
Member since May 21st 2002
2829 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 01:41 AM

31. ""
In response to Reply # 29

>Come to London, UK.

seconded

when is jag gonna hit the jazz cafe

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 01:07 AM

30. "tell em why you happy son!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i just heard the joneze story!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

i wish i coulda did that with buck and star for they punk asses got the can.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

nick
Charter member
131 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 04:36 AM

34. "Yeah what did happen with that??"
In response to Reply # 30

Did Jag flip on her??? Somebody needs to.

the rap game is all fucked up now, what we goin do now, how we goin eat man, 50 back around

TheProdigiousPoet
Member since Aug 12th 2002
4969 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 10:37 AM

53. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 30

Don't Duck

P.S.A.L.M

http://cashmonet.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/hollisterholliday

Templeton_Peck
Member since Aug 16th 2002
367 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 02:43 AM

32. "Nother reason why..."
In response to Reply # 0

Yall (OKayArtist) need say F**K these BS record labels and go for yours on the Indie tip....especially you Jag. Look at it this way: One less entity to please...and it aint like the labels are your friends. Your bustin your anus to please them but yet you get no video budget or adequate promotions. Your live shows are tight prolly because thats what you feel the most in your heart...and what you derive most loot from.

Motive needs to pull away from MCA and go totally indie...HELL this site and live shows are the main drivers for all okeyartist besides D'

Well I'm done...just been talking to too many other majot label artist and listening to them complain about thier labels.

btw: PEARL JAM told Epic to blow them

check it: http://www.msnbc.com/news/921872.asp?0cv=CB20

------------>

"We have fell from Grace with Poise" - Hatch (c)

vechello
Member since Dec 16th 2002
703 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 04:25 AM

33. "************JAG****************88"
In response to Reply # 32
Fri Jun-06-03 04:27 AM

keep your head up jag...i'm a big fan of you and your music. please don't try to please anyone but yourself...i know i'm not on that side of the music industry and i'm sure it's really shady but hold your head and be strong. don't worry about your fans liking your music we feel anything that comes from your soul and heart. and everyone's entitled to mistakes of course...you're human. i saw you live here in minneapolis, mn with smokin' grooves and the roots and you literally blew the roof off that place. your soul and beautiful voice commanded the crowd and we loved it!! keep up the good work...i own your first and plan to own every cd you share with us in the future. we all feel ya.....and sending love your way from minnesota.
peace

one love

my "space"....http://www.myspace.com/musikalvisions

~~"never ask the whip question, make jokes interestin', wear more clothes and let their eyes do the undressin'"....jean grae/"not like me"

~~"holding onto memories like rollercoaster handle

hypnotic
Charter member
47814 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 05:03 AM

35. "love ya jag"
In response to Reply # 0

Question:
what up joe i am a 15 year old boy who is a real freak and i even like to suck dick does that make me gay or just freaky?
asked by Jon1987B N.C. Freak on Saturday, May 17

Answer:
u'r gay dogs
answered by on Saturday, May 17 2:48 PM

neplusultra
Member since Jun 03rd 2003
19 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 02:37 PM

55. "NIGGA WHAT!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 35

What may I ask does you suckin people off have to with the price of fish let a alone the issues with Jag's new Single. please if you could enlighten me!!!

NPU

illadelphgurl
Charter member
21352 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 05:24 AM

36. ":-D"
In response to Reply # 0

you know everyone at home has you supported...!!!

my most moving time ever seeing you perform was at the lincoln center, nyc show. you and jay suprising everyone by being there... you doing "ain't no love... in the heart of the ciiiiitttyyy...!!! i said there ain't no... AIN'T no..."

wow.

---------------------
<3 restore the shore <3

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 06:00 AM

37. "Keep on!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do your thang. If you build it they will come.

Back from the dead.

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

Disgust is an appropriate reaction to most situations. ~Jenney Holzer

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

jiggyjazzman
Charter member
447 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 06:14 AM

39. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

I was listening to Jay-Z Unplugged this morning and I thought to myself, dern Jag can really rip isht. And then I see this post. It's all love. You are who you are and whatever happened, happened. You were right to say you're not making excuses because as a performer everytime a light hits you, you're "on" so you always gotta have gameface ready. I don't know what happened in Vegas, and half of me doesn't care (the other half which is the news guy does care) but whatever went down, you had pelotas (yes, i said pelota-- i just hope I spelled it right) to be a woman about it and come here and apologize. That's real. That's love for your audience and your art. Respect.

PS Loved the lp, although I thought you were holding back for whatever reason and not really showing everything. But it's straight, though.

Rev. Steve S. Jackson
revstevesjackson@verizon.net*|*steve.jackson@nbcuni.com

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 07:34 AM

40. "jag you kick ass"
In response to Reply # 0

but stop gassin these broads up with that one more drink stuff

there i a recession

thank you in advance for not hindering my poon game

www.dumhi.com

shortyc
Charter member
824 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 07:57 AM

41. "admitting you were wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

It's not always easy to admit you are wrong, so that is respected.

I'm not a personal fan, your music content is not really my thing. I saw you live before your album came out...(at the Black Lily) I thought it was cool cause you were doing your thing...venting it seemed, and what you were saying was "appropriate" for that crowd.

But then, I saw you at Unity Day..and you did the same act, fowl language and all. Lots of families with their children and babies were there, i didn't think some of your skits and musical content/language were presentable for that type of event.

Other than that...do your thang. Being on a record lable can be like dealings with the devil, so just do the right thing, keep praying, and The Lord will Bless ya!

peace.

Adopt a Beagle! http://www.brewbeagles.org

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 09:38 AM

42. "just do you"
In response to Reply # 0

anf eff everyone else. You did on DD&D and that was an excellent album.

I even copped the edited version so I can play it when rollin with my son.

Keepin doin you and you'll get your shine.

ScandalousWoman
Member since Nov 19th 2002
25416 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 11:22 AM

43. "i bought the album"
In response to Reply # 0

the only songs i remember are "i can't wait" and that's b/c of the prince-iness of it and the patti labelle cover. i usually put the album on when i'm cleaning the house or just need background music. not to say that it's not a good album, but it's a bit forgettable. it kinda sounded like a lot of other stuff that was dropped around the same time. i was a little disappointed b/c it seems like you're capable of more. i wanted to hear more distinctive work from you.

keep doing what you do. you have a great voice, and i look forward to hearing more from you.

peace.

stand up for your pussy (c) the shimster

where there is a woman, there is magic. ~~ntozake shange

wouldn't you love to love me?

neplusultra
Member since Jun 03rd 2003
19 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 03:00 PM

44. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

Hay Jag how you doin? Loved the first album had me anticipating the second like a mug. The single you came out with is solid! As soon as the beat kicked on that little guitar bit I nearly broke my neck. And you was riding the beat nice no doubt. The subject matter I didn't think was you and one would automatically assume after such a brilliant first effort,you would have alot more autonnomy over what you want to portray.( that is provided you didn't look to write that track) I however don't hold that against you. Because at the end of the day you gots to eat.Espeacially if support from you company is marger. And so what if you make one or two club bangers. You have to create a diverse fan base in the business or you will sink. It's really not about sufferin for your passion if you don't have too. And as long as you are still getting the chance to convey yourself to a greater extent on your album anyway, then screw it get yours ma. You are still a real artist regardless. When D'angelo put out Left and Right he was speakin typically about what brothers have on there mind 70-90% of the time...SEX. It was a radio track for the females. But nobody busted his balls.R kelly's talkin bout puttin his key in girls ignition and suddenly people have forgoten he is a conviceted sex offender. ( And I ma not gone lie that includes me I AM FEELIN THE INGNITION JOINT AND I DON'T EVEN LISTEN TO KELLY THAT TOUGH!) The Roots Phrenology PUSSY GALOUR. You people was feelin that track and that is not a subject matter the Roots often tackle. They suppose to be straight up emcees talkin the battle that is hiphop. Because of the subject isolation you limit your fan base. And if you can include other subject matter that appeals to other sects of the mass while still conveying your flavour, then it has to be done. No one wants to hear 12 tracks worth of I love you and why'd you do me wrong.Ladies and gents life is not all about that. The soul is comprised of too many emotins to stay focused on one particular avenue of content. You gots to broaden the subject scope. The track had it's purpouse. One more drink presents exactly what alot of women think in the club. "I see this cat lookin from over there". "I know the only thing he has on his mind when he's lookin is to get me home to hit". "And he's gonna do whatever it takes and that includes buyin the lady a drink". Girls know this and girls take advantage of it. It is TRUTH! It is FACT! It is LIFE! And alot of dudes is stupid enough to do that. So all you unhappy heads just deal wit it. Beside you know when you get in the club and hear it yall gone move regardless. Can't deny the joint it's got funk it's a banga. I mean Saddique produced it! Common please stop it! I support you 100 and ten percent Jag. Do your thang.

Much support and love,

neplusultra

NPU

Tampabaybandit
Member since May 09th 2003
7 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 04:03 PM

45. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

I felt your album so your post makes me anxious to catch you live. See you at the Orlando show.

Jilasijah
Charter member
3534 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 05:10 PM

46. "PEACE, JAG!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do U, MA! Lovin' the music! Keep it coming.

BTW, love the new joint! Looking forward to your second album!

Celebrating June as (Re)Union Quote Month: "I
dare you to run face first into the window." © me

the dynamic duo, part 1
>

truth0ne
Charter member
11818 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 04:59 AM

47. "P A R A G R A P H S ."
In response to Reply # 0

Bless
Member since Nov 10th 2002
663 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 10:01 AM

48. "RE: And your point is......."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel everything that you said, and I completely understand. It is very hard, and that lesson isd something we all have to learn, not just woth music but in life. Too many of us will try to please everyone, when in all actuality, the only one the counts is yourself. It took some time but it finally got through to me. Keep doin ya thing, the first album was mos definitely tight even though some cats don't appreciate it that much, it was tight to me. This new joint is off the meat rack, and I have played it for the 12th consecutive time as I sit here typing. Hope to see you in a live show soon in Chicago. Rumor has it that you'll be at the concert with Musiq and Vivian Green on the 15th, but I guess we'll see. Peace

Keep the Peace, Stay Strong, Maintain & Flourish
--Bless

"I believe one can create one's own inspiration by the level of awareness one has to what is going on around him/her."
-- Pinkie Gordon Lane

"Peace will be my applause"
--W.E.B. DuBois

ghostpimp
Member since May 23rd 2003
115 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 05:33 PM

49. "RE: MAD PROPS/UDASHIIIIII"
In response to Reply # 0

i love your music,&icant wait 4 something new.i dont like to buy things twice,but ur disc is worth it.someone stole my first one,but its all good.you off da hook on stage too,u definitely touch people with ur music.KEEP DA FUNK&LOVE GOING!!!!!

ohyeah!

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 05:32 AM

50. "I finally heard the song"
In response to Reply # 0

my comp been messed up... and its really dope... I love the beat.. I think its hot.. and I dont lie either.. whats wrong with the lyrics either? whatever..

igors_groove
Charter member
550 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 06:41 AM

51. "blessings"
In response to Reply # 0

i caught you live about a year ago in minneapolis and was incredibly moved and impressed... i think that you and rachelle ferrell have got a completely different level of originality, style, and skill happening vocal wise from anyone else out there. plus you have such a strong presence and clearly love to speak your mind...an emposering thing to see! i will continue to support as long as you are doing your thing..

i am not in love with the new song; i think your vocal talents and unique vision could definitely be highlighted better, but i know that you will continue to put out great music and i respect the dilemma that you are facing with your label. i hope that you focus on pleasing yourself!

>But whatever you do don't stop lovin' the
>music. 'Cause when the love is gone that's when the music
>dies; and I don't think any of us want to see that happen.

EXACTLY

link:myspace.com/blackblondiemusic/|BLACK BLONDIE]

rawlakid
Charter member
8323 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 09:28 AM

52. "I love you!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-08-03 09:29 AM

you sexy b**** you...... j/k

nah seriously, keep doing your thing Jag. You are seriously underated amongst singers out there today. Let them hear Jag, and it's ova!!!!!!!!!!!

they aint ready for you....

But let me get on with my story so that all of y'all can peep
I'm on my block right, known as cloverdale
Playin' 2K2 while I'm talkin' on my cell well
While I'm inside eyes glued to the screen
CRASH rolls on my homies with the Thursday routine
What's your name, where you goin', where you been, where you from
We say the same thing while they just play dumb - Murs

okplayer Ever on hip hop shows:

"Ever: Only at a fukin' backpacker show do you find beautiful girls who don't get hit on by the guys.

Alfred:I know, Lame ass backpackers prolly

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 02:13 PM

54. "why we love jag....."
In response to Reply # 0

Jag, don't give up.

Nubienne
Charter member
3831 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 01:38 AM

56. "Do You Girl!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The first time I heard your voice at the Lily, I know you were one to watch out for. Your voice blows me away everytime I see you live and I know it takes alot for an artist to put that forward each and everytime you perform, and I for one appreciate it. Forget the haters, do you and follow your dreams. In the end that's all that matters anyway....

Peace

Do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. Hebrews 10:35

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8404 Previous topic | Next topic