Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8180

Subject: "My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Skillz
Member since Jun 05th 2003
576 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 03:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."

Okay so I'm doing a story for The Source and I happened to be in town. So my publicist tells me that we're going and I'm performing. But the JaY Z opening is the same night and I planned on going to that. Too high class,black tie, blah..blah..blah. So we get there and i go in and Kwe is doin one of his solo songs. And I look up onstage & see Mos,Mr. Man,Common & Kwe. So I'm standing to the side of the stage & I'm talkin to this dime(well yelling in her ear anyway) & I hear " I got my man Mad Skillz in the place". So I try to hop onstage and realize that the stage is alot higher then I anticipated. Needless to say I scuffed my AF'1's. Nelly would laugh at me if he was in the audience..but hey..this is a Talib Kweli show right? Anyway I look down & the scuff looks like a small replica of Wesley Snipes on my damn shoe. So I look up and it looks like Kanye is lookin at my shoe like" Damn homie ...you a bum".
So right at that exact moment Kwe motions for me & leans over to me and says" EYEWANEWWTOOODEWASISEEEENONDISSWONG". Which in I'm on the middle of my show language means= I want you do a 16 on this song. Ahmir does it all the time. It took me two & a half years to realize that he was sayin "I want you do do the third verse on Clones". Anyway I knocked out the 2nd verse on the song he has with Xzibit & Rah Digga. I missed him & Mos doin any of the songs the have & I dont even know if they did Respiration with Common. Thats the best song that Hi Tek ever produced(In My Opinion..of course) We all were onstage when he did Get By & rolled to the Green Room where I saw Dream Hampton for the first time in person(and she still got it) I know she must think I'm a wierdo cuz I kept staring at her. Constantly..No..I mean constantly..seriously..I mean I didnt blink..no for real I didnt. All in all it was a good night.

Yeah I got dreams...and all of em are in my backpack.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this is funny
Jun 23rd 2003
RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show.
Jun 23rd 2003
Jun 23rd 2003
Jun 23rd 2003
Respiration is Hi-Tek's best track
Jun 23rd 2003
Yo Son
Jun 23rd 2003
Hell Yeah
Jun 24th 2003
Did Weslely have a fucked up haircut?
Jun 23rd 2003
skillz got some funny ass posts
Jun 23rd 2003
you fit in here SO well, LOL
Jun 23rd 2003
Jun 23rd 2003
seriously skills...
Jun 23rd 2003
      RE: SKILLZ
Jun 24th 2003
Jun 24th 2003
Great read, thanks for posting Skillz!
Jun 24th 2003
so how did the interview go?
Jun 24th 2003
Jun 24th 2003
comedy.....
Jun 24th 2003
lol at a small replica of Wesley Snipes
Jun 24th 2003
RE: lol at a small replica of Wesley Snipes
Jun 24th 2003
Jun 24th 2003
Cute
Jun 24th 2003
Jun 24th 2003
up ^
Jun 26th 2003

Belief
Charter member
18463 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this is funny"
In response to Reply # 0

wesley snipes, damn

down on the upside

boricua_taino
Member since Jun 08th 2003
516 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

lol, i'm glad i read this.

...still sad that the tickets were sold out before i could get a chance to cop a couple tickets though

J5RootsKweliJ5
Member since Feb 02nd 2003
871 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 03:52 PM

3. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

haha, great story. damn, i wish i woulda gone. sadly, i had final exams the next day and could not go to jersey. sounds like one of the best shows of the year tho.

Headless the Horseman
Hip-Hop band from Gaithersburg, MD

www.myspace.com/headlessthehorseman

boricua_taino
Member since Jun 08th 2003
516 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 04:12 PM

6. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 3

>sadly, i had final exams the next day and could not go to jersey.

jersey?

radin
Charter member
29499 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 03:52 PM

4. "Respiration is Hi-Tek's best track"
In response to Reply # 0

damn I wish I could have been there

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 04:08 PM

5. "Yo Son"
In response to Reply # 0

You should keep a chronicle of your first hand account on the website... That shit would be a mad interesting read...

and good pub..

good shit keep it up..

peace...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Alpine
Member since Feb 21st 2003
3178 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 09:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "Hell Yeah"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Jun-24-03 09:49 AM

I totally agree....... if he wants pics of that night I can send it to him too. (see that I’m it too hahaahah) I was talking to skills about okayplayer.......he was mad cool.

I was going to make my own post of my experience that night but didn't have time........so he it goes....

I had already decided to go to the Mos Def and his band Black Jack Johnson at Central Park left 7pm which is the time the show should start. I got there and the security guy was like "the show is not open to the pubic" ...so I went to the other entrance and it was the same story. There was this huge guy with his family politicking to get in so I soon became part of his family, and while he was talking, I slid behind him and just walked right in. When I got to the stage Mos Def was done... I missed him by 10 minutes.

everclear ( a white rock band) was coming on so I stayed…….. Did I mention I packed my camera and camcorder in my bag …………so I pulled out my trusty camera and took some picks of them……. that was over by 10pm but then I remembered talib had a show that night at SOB's but it was sold out, and I had a camcorder in my bag so I knew I could never get in. I had nothing to do so I decided to go there and try and see if I was gonna get lucky.

I got there and mad people were inside already and countless others outside looking for tickets. The energy outside made me want to get in even more. I almost cried (lol.joking)…… I kept begging like a dog 'ANY EXTRA TICKETS" I was determine to get in……. finally this guy had an extra. I got it quick before the other dogs took my snack. I showed it to the guy at the door and flew pass him. The show was like five minutes into it so they didn't check my bags ( I thought that was the reason).

When I got in shit was off the meat racks, I’m saying bumpin like a mother. Ten minutes into the show guess who walked in ....the might MOS hahahaahahahahah….. I was like yes……it was then I saw talib's manager taking pics .... so I pulled out my yes ..trusty camera.. and started snapping *click, click, click* I was close to the entrance being that there were so many people but guess who walked in bumping me on the way in …COMMON……. I was like "word up rasheeeeed" (like I lived next door to him or something) he then makes his way too the stage and starts to rip it. the place is on fire now.

RES came on and sang a couple songs with talib off the old and new album. This is while I kept talking pics....... like the professional cameraman that I am I soon made my way close to the stage... like maybe ten feet....and then Pharoahe Monch stepped on stage… he sang his new single "agent orange" and then “Simon says”. This one blew the place up….. It was at that time that I saw talib’s manager with a camcorder and said WTF..... I don't care if they take my camcorder. I pulled it out and started to videotape the show..... so I’m now taping "Simon says" and trying to get closer but to no avail. SKILLZ then walk in and proceeds to rip the stage with some freestyle I was like oh my god this night is legendary.

So I’m taping and guess who’s 5 feet away..............POS from DE LA SOUL.(mofo coming out the woodwork) After SKILLZ was done talib brought Craig G, an old school hitman...........he does his thing and talib does some other cuts with the final song being "get by”.
I was like that was a show and I was ready to go home but I decided to stay a little while, luckily I did cause I got to speak with Common and ask for a pic and yes.....(in ladies man's voice....yeaaaaah again I pulled my trusty camera) and ask for a pic. he said sure and *click* .....There it was Common and Alpine on print. this same scenario was similar with all the artists that were there. so I have pics with mos def, talib, pharoach monch, Skillz, Pos from de la soul, Common (I already said him), kanye West and Res and Tracy (½ of jazzyfat) and another with mos def and that VJ from MTV. I think his name is quadus.......he was looking at me and I’m looking at him like...i'm suppose to know you cause he on TV... He was cool.....said what’s up. And that's all folks.i will have the pics by the end of the week

------------------------------
a leader who does not hesitate before he sends his nation to battle is not fit to be a leader

Only by his actions can a man make himself and his life whole.

i need to see president Bush on the front lines like ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie battling musolini for freedom

Alpine--Da beneficent
Da beneficent

------------------------------------

The strange dream in my dream world...

http://www.myspace.com/695595

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/GreedySmurf_2007/1ec8506183c1946.jpg

Unscene
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
1562 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 04:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Did Weslely have a fucked up haircut?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause if he did, your shoe is now a classic. Just a theory I have... You can always judge how good a movie is going to be by how fucked up Wesley's wig is... The worse the hair, the better the movie.

One.

Unscene

www.twoonefifth.com

"I'll take you back to Philly so you can find your Roots..." - Bumpy Knuckles

"Love is worth more than gold but, fear's equally sold to counterparts and enemies... feel me?" - Saukrates

"Chickenheads think I'm paid, guess that's why they give me dome. Shit, my dick's off the hook, they should call me Bizzy Bone." - Lonnie B

one.

unscene

www.twoonefifth.com/blog

pickled beats

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 06:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "skillz got some funny ass posts"
In response to Reply # 0

i like the way homie types...that shit had me laughing....good shit.

illadelphgurl
Charter member
21352 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 06:39 PM

9. "you fit in here SO well, LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

you sound like us.

btw, "dont even know if they did Respiration with Common. Thats the best song that Hi Tek ever produced" i agree fully.

---------------------
<3 restore the shore <3

rajan
Member since Nov 20th 2002
45 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 06:53 PM

10. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

damn when is kweli or skillz ever gonna come to ottawa

Respiration is definately one of the best Hitek beats...takes me into another mood

Educator
Charter member
81 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 09:30 PM

11. "seriously skills..."
In response to Reply # 10

this post is so dope because it gives us a review of the concert from a perspective us as fans can never get... this concept is dopplar on the radar. and is at least part of why okayplayer is such a nice site, kudos to ya skillz and please keep the posts coming. (btw i am so upset i missed that show, from the way you and the other people that were there described it, it sounded really special. tickets were out before i had the $ to cop em... my only solace comes from knowing i saw blackstar earlier in the year rock for 2 hours at sobs (anyone have pics of that show???)
peace.

jonae98
Member since Jun 10th 2003
133 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 02:07 AM

12. "RE: SKILLZ"
In response to Reply # 11

LOL. Great post and by the way Common, Kweli, and Mos did not perform Respiration, Mostly everybody spit freestyles, or either spit their own lyrics from their albums. I must say it was the best show I have ever seen, the crowd was hyped and so was KANYE. I was right in the front row, and i kept thinking to myself, he is so hyped. When Kweli would tell the crowd to a a fist in the air, KANYE would jump around the stage. At one point he was swinging his fist so hard i thought either his chain is going to hit me in the face or either his fist, that is how hyped he had the crowd, amd that is how close he was to the crowd as well. I love the shows at SOB's because to me they are so personal, whereas at a big venue it is not. I also love the crowds at SOB's.

FRESH for '01...You SUCKAS!

-Michael Caesar
Boondocks

FRESH for '01...You SUCKAS!

-Michael Caesar
Boondocks

onehaqq01
Member since Jun 11th 2003
141 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 02:18 AM

13. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

skillz...for real...you are hilarious...that post had me rolling...thanks for sharing your insights and experience with us...

takinthecoltrane
Member since Oct 27th 2002
1958 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 03:29 AM

14. "Great read, thanks for posting Skillz!"
In response to Reply # 0

"There's a lot you can do with a giant four foot dried, curling, boomerang seed pod from the Botang Tree that grows only in Indonesia."
-Tom Waits

"It's not about a salary it's all about reality."
-KRS-One

"Me being wack is like naps on Kojack."
-RZA

"The revolution will not be apologized for."
-Aesop Rock

"Came to save the game like a memory card."
-MF Doom

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 05:20 AM

15. "so how did the interview go?"
In response to Reply # 0

if it was dream who interviewed you - did you ever form the words to speak, or did you just keep staring?

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

dj_infinite76
Charter member
360 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 05:44 AM

16. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

Man, I feel you on the AF1's. They got no balls. The slightest little scum and they start to look like curled up boxing gloves. They are worst than adidas top tens and rebook classics combined. I wish they would have done, "Can Mad Skillz please come out with an album soon before I have to start shankin nigras?". I really like that song.

"Me? Double the gift, None of the curse\Bred by the best, to weather the worst..." - Jaz-o

"Infinite's boom boom room adventures"....Cumming Soon

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 05:48 AM

17. "comedy....."
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the anticdote (sp?).

Back from the dead.

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

Disgust is an appropriate reaction to most situations. ~Jenney Holzer

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

WuGambina
Charter member
47817 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 06:56 AM

18. "lol at a small replica of Wesley Snipes"
In response to Reply # 0

too funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking by faith and not by sight....

www.sandeinteriors.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/wugambina

sbuxamu
Member since Jun 09th 2003
38 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 07:42 AM

19. "RE: lol at a small replica of Wesley Snipes"
In response to Reply # 18

Kweli and Mos did respiration, for some reason Common didn't come on till later

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 09:32 AM

20. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

at least your shoes were the only thing u scuffed, that coulda been ugly home's.

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

2qute4u
Member since Nov 11th 2002
51 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 01:48 PM

22. "Cute"
In response to Reply # 0

<<So my publicist tells me that we're going and I'm performing.>>> That's real cute...do yur thing hun...

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

-Erma Bombeck

P.S.-Fuck Bitch Niggaz

--------2-qUtE-4u-----------

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

-Erma Bombeck

P.S.-Fuck Bitch Niggaz

--------2-qUtE-4u----------

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 06:03 PM

23. "RE: My S.O.B experience at the KWELI show."
In response to Reply # 0

It's official. Skillz should have his own journal on this site.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu Jun-26-03 02:10 PM

24. "up ^"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-26-03 02:10 PM

rappers posting

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #8180 Previous topic | Next topic