Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #6848

Subject: "Roots in Time Magazine - new album title" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
roberto
Charter member
871 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 12:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
Mon Sep-01-03 12:43 AM

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030908-480289,00.html

Sunday, Aug. 31, 2003
The Roots Reinvent The Rock-Rap Sound
By CHRISTOPHER JOHN FARLEY

One of the Roots' early albums was titled Do You Want More?!!!??!, and the band's answer to that question is still yes, with just as many exclamation points (and maybe not so many question marks). But despite a career that has lasted more than a decade, the band is looking to shake things up. Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson, the Roots' drummer, says the group is considering calling its next album The Tipping Point, a reference to the Malcolm Gladwell book about the momentum of ideas, and to the fact that the band members are still seeking to take their career to that next level. "Our original fans are in their 30s," says Thompson. "Their little brothers or cousins are our new audience."

So the Roots are making some changes. The group plans to start recording a new album this month, for release next year. A guitarist, Kirk Douglas (nope, not that Kirk, and yes, he's heard the jokes), has been added to the core lineup — Thompson, vocalist Black Thought, keyboardist Kamal and bassist Hub. Another guitarist, Martin Luther (not that one either), will also play on some cuts.

The band, which has combined rock and rap on past releases, hopes to pioneer a more sophisticated blend of the genres. Says Thompson: " Exile on Main St. is my blueprint." The plan is to invite other musicians — John Mayer, Macy Gray and Nas are on the wish list — to drop by for jam sessions out of which, they trust, songs will emerge. The Roots' Philadelphia studio has even been tricked out with a whole bunch of amenities so the band can play host to longer, later jam sessions. "We definitely want a darker, murkier texture," says Thompson. We'll know next year how well it works out.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 01st 2003
drug addiction ain't that easy to beat
Sep 01st 2003
      Cosign
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 05th 2003
sounds good to me
Sep 01st 2003
DARK & MURKY?????
Sep 02nd 2003
this part has me excited
Sep 01st 2003
cosign
Sep 01st 2003
the only thing that worries me
Sep 01st 2003
Holy shit...
Sep 01st 2003
i can hear a record exec flipping out
Sep 01st 2003
the tipping point...
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 01st 2003
      Cosign on pretty much everything there
Sep 01st 2003
      mayer can get down on the guitar
Sep 01st 2003
      'ingnorance....
Sep 02nd 2003
Sep 01st 2003
yeah.
Sep 01st 2003
WTF?!?!?! THE TIPPING POINT!?!?!
Sep 01st 2003
can a brother change his mind?
Sep 01st 2003
i guess but
Sep 01st 2003
I noticed that too...
Sep 01st 2003
RE: WTF?!?!?! THE TIPPING POINT!?!?!
Sep 02nd 2003
rock money
Sep 01st 2003
sounds good
Sep 01st 2003
Sep 02nd 2003
Not what i was expecting
Sep 02nd 2003
ohh gooodddiiee....
Sep 02nd 2003
Nas?
Sep 02nd 2003
yes ...
Sep 02nd 2003
RE: Nas?
Sep 03rd 2003
RE: Nas?
Sep 05th 2003
Great.
Sep 02nd 2003
i likes what i hears
Sep 02nd 2003
huge COS
Sep 03rd 2003
Noteworthy Omission...
Sep 02nd 2003
The Roots are a lot of talk (maybe it's just ?uest)
Sep 02nd 2003
their original fans are in their 30's?
Sep 02nd 2003
i concur
Sep 02nd 2003
i've been a fan since dywm?!?...... i'm in my 30's
Sep 02nd 2003
      i'm still a good YEAR away, okay?
Sep 02nd 2003
           been a fan since DYWM?!!!??!
Sep 02nd 2003
                see
Sep 02nd 2003
                RE: been a fan since DYWM?!!!??!
Sep 05th 2003
fan since Organix - I'm 30
Sep 02nd 2003
Audioslave,Linkin Park,Foo-Fighters
Sep 02nd 2003
dear god
Sep 03rd 2003
      Why not
Sep 03rd 2003
           Linkin Park is no Aerosmith.
Sep 03rd 2003
           Never said they was
Sep 03rd 2003
           I won't support those collabos
Sep 03rd 2003
                Worthy music?
Sep 04th 2003
                     penny for your thoughts?
Sep 05th 2003
                          cosign
Sep 05th 2003
simple ... you're NOT original fans then LOL
Sep 02nd 2003
talk to me about racial implications
Sep 03rd 2003
      use google
Sep 05th 2003
John Mayer, and Macy Gray
Sep 02nd 2003
RE: John Mayer, and Macy Gray
Sep 02nd 2003
RE: John Mayer, and Macy Gray
Sep 03rd 2003
      No doubt
Sep 03rd 2003
funny coincidence
Sep 02nd 2003
damn damn damn
Sep 03rd 2003
Sep 04th 2003
John Mayer sucks
Sep 06th 2003
RE: John Mayer sucks
Sep 06th 2003
Sep 06th 2003

SLUM_VILLAIN
Member since Dec 17th 2002
116 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 01:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice article, but a few questions. What about Scratch? RahZel???Dice Raw??? It does not mention them at all.

jiggyjazzman
Charter member
447 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 02:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 1

let's not even go there with Rahzel. But the question is where's Malik B.? I would think after "Water" he'd be anxious to kinda get back in the game.

Rev. Steve S. Jackson
revstevesjackson@verizon.net*|*steve.jackson@nbcuni.com

Smingers
Charter member
3882 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "drug addiction ain't that easy to beat"
In response to Reply # 3

word is when thought & ?uest played the song for him, he didn't even realize it was about him. does that sound like someone who can get their shit together over a long weekend?

i hope he gets better. the roots need him

"...let my children hear music - for God's sake - they have had enough noise."
Charles Mingus

swinger3421
Member since Mar 09th 2003
21080 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Cosign"
In response to Reply # 5

That's a terrible thing.

OH THE IRONY

CANCEL YOUR TOUR

i suggest all "fans" save their money

you can view your shit while looking in the mirror jacking off
and telling yourself how great you are

CokoNutz80
Member since Aug 04th 2003
5 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 05:46 PM

65. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 1

There's no room for the likes of Scratch, Rahzel, and Dice Raw. That's too much hip hop for The Roots' "new sound".

codewarrior
Charter member
1860 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 02:31 AM

2. "sounds good to me"
In response to Reply # 0

dark, murky sounds. captain kirk and martin luther. nas. now how about dice, malik, and scratch get on some tracks too.

overall, sounds dope.

UniversalXplorer
Member since Feb 23rd 2003
2062 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 08:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "DARK & MURKY?????"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't think the ROOTS are capable of that without Malik B...I mean that aint a diss...but to me Malik was the gutter soul of illadelph Halflife sound.....he IS the 'Invisible Enigma'...whether dawg will resurface for the jawn is doubtful..but if the ROOTs are serious about a darker texture...they better breakout the hardhats and torches and start looking for m illitant...that bro has been in the trenches..and not touring round the world hanging out with celebs (for the record ,no subliminal disses aimed at anyone)

HOLLA

'Reek come into the party with a cape and a cane' REEK GEEZ (The Pros)

'never coming twice in one form'- Reek Geez (Organix)

THIS POST IS PROTECTED BY

THE RED
THE BLACK
AND THE GREEN

WITH A KEY......YOU SISSY ! ! ! !

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:00 AM

4. "this part has me excited"
In response to Reply # 0

The plan is to invite other musicians — John Mayer, Macy Gray and Nas are on the wish list — to drop by for jam sessions out of which, they trust, songs will emerge. The Roots' Philadelphia studio has even been tricked out with a whole bunch of amenities so the band can play host to longer, later jam sessions. "We definitely want a darker, murkier texture," says Thompson

si_ki_UK
Charter member
1322 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 11:13 PM

24. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 4

phren flowed as well as an album which seemed (through the different dates and styles) to be plucked from many many different moods and 'targets' (and projects?).

But long recording sessions must mean that the guys are ready to step it up a notch and make an album which flows like a river and almost has its own subliminal 'narrative'...
like voodoo. but obviously nothing like voodoo.

exciting to me too, basically.

SIG:
"There is in a man an upwelling spring of life, energy, love, whatever you like to call it.
If a course is not cut for it, it turns the ground round it into a swamp."
Mark Rutherford (William Hale White), More Pages from a Journal, 1910

Smingers
Charter member
3882 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:24 AM

6. "the only thing that worries me"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-01-03 03:25 AM

Says Thompson: " Exile on Main St. is my blueprint."

Can't the Roots take some tight, 50 minute set as their blueprint? Just once?

If they're really committed to the 'jam session' concept, then this can work. As I see it, the Roots need to go one of two ways. Either tighten their sound to its essence, and make that short, sweet, rootsmatic album we know they have in them, or go the way of the last 3 minutes of break you off plus the seed 2.0, and start spacing out and letting their musical concepts develop, while letting their spontenaity show and not recording, mixing, editing, for three year's time. they would have to be fully committed to an exile on main street concept to embrace the latter. no half assin'.

Charles Mingus

Aesop
Member since Jul 22nd 2003
4701 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 04:33 AM

7. "Holy shit..."
In response to Reply # 0

...this sounds great. Exile as their blueprint?!? This has me more excited than I was when I first read about Phrenology.

(sigless)

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 05:26 AM

8. "i can hear a record exec flipping out"
In response to Reply # 0

"what do you mean no set blueprint : you're just gonna play???"

and with good reason

the beatles broke up over the let it be sessions, and i still dont understand how spector assembled that stereophonic mess

i jsut hope that not too many "break you offs" are pulled, and artists drop out

or more likely their label won't clear the appearance

man i am scared....but totally excited

2004 baby!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 05:34 AM

9. "the tipping point..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's a great book. where else can you read about chlamydia in one chapter and blue's clues in another? (those that read it know what i'm talking about). malcolm gladwell is a cool speaker too. he spoke at a conference i went to...he kinda looks like a half black screech.

NewfangledHoiPoloi
Member since Feb 16th 2003
265 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 06:23 AM

10. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

if scratch isn't on the album i'm going to cry.

SLUM_VILLAIN
Member since Dec 17th 2002
116 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 06:59 AM

11. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 10

Scratch is truly a must, and to tell you the truth, I am hoping The Roots not play with John Mayer. I mean that guy when he sings, makes funny faces. DAMN, why would you want him doing anything with you? Also, I miss the old stuff from The Roots, it was so much more jazzy. I liked Phrenology, but it really had me Wanting MOre!?!?!?! like, phrenology missed Dice, he would have been perfect for some of the harder tracks, like Rock you, he would drop crazy hardcore rhymes about jacking suckas for all they have. Man one of the reasons i fell in love with the music of The Roots was Dice Raw going on and on with his bad ass self.

ebonyk55
Member since Jul 17th 2003
724 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 01:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 11

>Scratch is truly a must, and to tell you the truth, I am
>hoping The Roots not play with John Mayer. I mean that guy
>when he sings, makes funny faces. DAMN, why would you want
>him doing anything with you?

imma have to agree with this. maybe i'm not a musical genius, but you should never get down with a guy who cannot properly sing the words 'body' and 'wonderland' a collab with vanilla ice be 10x hotter than anything with john mayer...

//
throwback username!
//

swinger3421
21080 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:16 PM

20. "Cosign on pretty much everything there"

Although I think John Mayer could be an asset, depending on how he's used.

OH THE IRONY

CANCEL YOUR TOUR

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 06:35 PM

22. "mayer can get down on the guitar"

im intrigued by the possibilities

¹ZE·RO

alden3000
Member since Oct 25th 2002
275 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 07:15 AM

27. "'ingnorance...."

Mayer may look funny ass hell when he sings
but so do many other cats
when they sing and/or play guitar/drums at the same time
and just cause he looks funny he cant play with the roots???????

"go home,
put on a silly hat...
do whatever it is morons do...."

"go home,
put on a silly hat...

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 12:33 PM

12. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

Now this is the most exciting news I have heard in awhile. The Roots have a new album coming next year? I hope to God that it does not get pushed back like 'Phrenology' did. If that happens then I think that us fans will be extremely dissapointed. 'The Tipping Point' sounds like a winner to me though. Nas? Hell fucking yeah. That would be great to hear him and B.T. spitting over the band's beats. I think it would be interesting to hear some stuff with John Mayer and Macy Gray, but I do not really like them as artists. But what really caught me was the fact that Scratch was missing. He is gone from recent shows and no one on the site seems to know why. And if he isn't on the new album then it sounds like he may be on the outs with the band or possibly leaving. I hope that is not true. And where is Malik? But I am needlessly to say very excited to hear this. Yeeuhh!

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 12:47 PM

14. "yeah."
In response to Reply # 12

definitely want to know what's up with scratch.

as far as malik, when was the last time people saw him with the roots?

it wouldve been more of a surprise if they announced he WAS on the next record

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 12:46 PM

13. "WTF?!?!?! THE TIPPING POINT!?!?!"
In response to Reply # 0

t_ n
th _ _ g _ n_
_ _ _ s t.

someone is lying

Smingers
Charter member
3882 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 01:05 PM

15. "can a brother change his mind?"
In response to Reply # 13

Charles Mingus

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 01:06 PM

16. "i guess but"
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Sep-01-03 01:07 PM

i swear i'm remembering reading something he wrote about how it's the permanent title. and why you gonna have me (and others) racking our brains playing hangman for some bogus shit?

edit*plus if it was what i had called it as, then i woulda felt special. shit, i had mythological texts as reference.

swinger3421
21080 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 03:18 PM

21. "I noticed that too..."

...there goes "Tan Theogony Beast". *sniff* Loved that title. LOL

OH THE IRONY

CANCEL YOUR TOUR

daze
Charter member
137 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 10:41 PM

47. "RE: WTF?!?!?! THE TIPPING POINT!?!?!"

someone came real close a while back, so he threw in some other letter to throw people off.... I thought it was funny

-------------

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 01:08 PM

17. "rock money"
In response to Reply # 0

go for the bigger prize

you need to get a session with eminem

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Mon Sep-01-03 06:51 PM

23. "sounds good"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like we'll hear the roots as a band on this one, whcih i'm definitely in favour of (my favorite track on phren is the seed- though i loved rhymes and ammo too)

not ecstatic about john 'MOR' mayer being on there- but i'm sure ?uest will make it work well

be good if they could get jay-z and eminem to return the favour and appear- on a single even

49parallel
Member since Jun 06th 2003
1145 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 03:22 AM

25. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

the whole concept is really exciting, but this part worries me:

"Our original fans are in their 30s," says Thompson. "Their little brothers or cousins are our new audience."

when i read this i hear "we need to move in the direction of b.e.p." you know, appeal to the kids who line up for t.r.l.

but then again, the long songs and darker, murkier feel don't exactly sound like mtv.

"I maintain with clemency and munificence" -- J-Live

zamas
Charter member
3208 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 05:02 AM

26. "Not what i was expecting"
In response to Reply # 0

...even though i aint heard a note yet, i thought quest was working with david banner, no "feat jigga" track? no dj quik?? no jay dee? Hopefully thought and nas sit down together and write and it aint some stop by and drop off a verse type deal.

"Ain't no future in yo frontin" -MC Breed

"I love the Lord, and if lovin the Lord is wrong, I dont wanna be right" -Reverend Brown

alden3000
Member since Oct 25th 2002
275 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 07:25 AM

28. "ohh gooodddiiee...."
In response to Reply # 0

new album next year
probably means it'll drop in
like Feb. '05
but still
that's news to me
and it be good

"go home,
put on a silly hat...

"go home,
put on a silly hat...

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 08:14 AM

29. "Nas?"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------
http://sandbox.pair.com/sound/dujeous_allmcs.ram
www.beetrootnyc.com
"My Gun Go" Rmx - 8Off Agallah f. Juelz Santana & Jim Jones
produced by DUJEOUS
on your favorite mixtape NOW!

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

tkellah
Member since May 07th 2003
128 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 08:29 AM

30. "yes ..."
In response to Reply # 29

Nas. wow expectations y'all expectations.

and i thought i was the only one who loved dice? come alive got me hooked on the roots i would love to see more of dude.

JJBuffone
Member since Jun 22nd 2002
1156 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 07:06 AM

50. "RE: Nas?"

Hell yeah. I can't wait to hear Nas and Black Thought rhymin' on the same track. Definitely has me excited.

brownskinbaby
Member since Aug 31st 2003
9004 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 08:48 PM

66. "RE: Nas?"

i am really excited to hear about the new album and all but, NAS?...if the roots want to hook up with nas then they should experiment by doing something like an unplugged on mtv or something. cuz i'd definitely have to make use of kaza to see if it's worth buying.

i mean i don't even classify the roots and nas on the same level. it would be like them asking me to come sing instead of cody. nas has a lot of lyrical maturing that needs to take place before he can be worthy of playing with the roots

and i'd take malik b back over nas anyday

chasinanothertrane
Member since Aug 16th 2003
1072 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 09:00 AM

32. "Great."
In response to Reply # 0

Should be a tight record. Where's Scratch?

"The revolution will not be apologized for."
-Aesop Rock

"Came to save the game like a memory card."
-MF Doom

"The revolution will not be apologized for."
-Aesop Rock

"The best MC with no chain you ever heard."
-MF Doom

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 09:44 AM

33. "i likes what i hears"
In response to Reply # 0

but sue me if you want, i cant stand macy gray. other than ghetto heaven.

peace, dgonsh

AUGUST 12/2003---THE DAY THE JU JU JU JU GENERAL DISCUSSION BOARD WENT BLANK.

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 07:46 AM

51. "huge COS"
In response to Reply # 33

grrr

Mdfogarty
Charter member
330 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 10:03 AM

34. "Noteworthy Omission..."
In response to Reply # 0

No Scratch? Is he gone for good?

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 10:22 AM

35. "The Roots are a lot of talk (maybe it's just ?uest)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-02-03 10:23 AM

LOL, we'll see what type of album this is, cuz IMO Phrenology was far from the experimental masterpiece that you people rave about. i would love to hear Nas on a track though.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 03:15 PM

36. "their original fans are in their 30's?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-02-03 03:18 PM

damn homie, i saw you at HU in 93 and I'm only 28. What's an "original fan", somebody from the South and Market days? LOL.

and surely they don't plan to ignore the racial implications in the phrase "the tipping point", do they?*

* don't know what that reference means? use your good friend google!

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 03:33 PM

37. "i concur"
In response to Reply # 36

i've been a fan since DYWM? and i'm only 29

thirties?

that's, uh, way offbase

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 03:37 PM

38. "i've been a fan since dywm?!?...... i'm in my 30's"
In response to Reply # 37

he's not too offbase.....

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 03:55 PM

39. "i'm still a good YEAR away, okay?"
In response to Reply # 38

ten and a half months at least

he's WAY offbase

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 04:23 PM

40. "been a fan since DYWM?!!!??!"
In response to Reply # 39

and i'm only 21. just when i start feeling old, you people make me feel young again, thanx.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 08:38 PM

43. "see"
In response to Reply # 40

us kids in our twenties are YOUNG fans that have..

*sigh*

never mind

T08
Member since Dec 11th 2002
320 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 05:40 AM

62. "RE: been a fan since DYWM?!!!??!"
In response to Reply # 40

fa real im 21 too and in 94 i was. 10 turning 11 years old. dywm clearly wasn<'t on the radar and unless you lived in the northeast (im frm tx) i don't see how it was on yours. really admit it you were listening to hammer[br />

mvmt.com

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 05:23 PM

42. "fan since Organix - I'm 30"

and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

don't be fkn evil.

Bnutz44
Member since Jul 10th 2002
12322 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 09:55 PM

44. "Audioslave,Linkin Park,Foo-Fighters"

I think these would be dope callabos

Politcs are so corrupt even the dishonest
People get screwed

<------------Mrs.SABATINI

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 07:48 AM

52. "dear god"
In response to Reply # 44

no

Bnutz44
12322 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 09:44 AM

55. "Why not"
In response to Reply # 52

Thought was on they(Linkin Park) Reanimation cd.Music should have no boundaries.Look @ that callabo Run D.M.C. & Aerosmith-Walk this way.Rest my case

People get screwed

theGriddler
Member since Sep 29th 2002
1612 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 07:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
57. "Linkin Park is no Aerosmith."
In response to Reply # 55

I'll leave it at that.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.-George Orwell

Bnutz44
12322 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 09:55 PM

58. "Never said they was"
In response to Reply # 57

just giving an example

People get screwed

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 11:21 PM

59. "I won't support those collabos"
In response to Reply # 55

Unless the three acts mentioned suddenly start making worthy music.

Bnutz44
12322 posts
Thu Sep-04-03 07:54 AM

60. "Worthy music?"
In response to Reply # 59

Go see them in concert

People get screwed

Spread
Member since Mar 13th 2003
7647 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 07:32 AM

64. "penny for your thoughts?"
In response to Reply # 60

shit, you lucky I ain't robbin' you!
fuck rap/rock latecomers. Judgement night was ill, Fatih No More was Ill, Beasties were ill, Linkin park just makes me sick.

yep

sfMatt
10383 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 09:12 PM

67. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 64

thanks for helping me clear that up

krewcial
Charter member
3268 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 10:05 PM

46. "simple ... you're NOT original fans then LOL"

Sorry, I just had to do it.

31 in December ...

krewcial
|

krewcial
www.krewcial.com
www.myspace.com/krewcial
www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23051&forum=lesson

http://www.23hq.com/krewcial/photo/1085564?album_id=1085556

Nashville recording sessions : www.krewcial.com/nashville

Mdfogarty
Charter member
330 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 05:42 AM

49. "talk to me about racial implications"

The phrase "the tipping point" has taken on a life of its own since Malcolm Gladwell's book by the same name was published a few years ago. It refers to the moment when something--usually a trend--becomes an epidemic. It's difficult to create a tipping point--I hope the Roots don't do themselves in with a title like that!!

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Sep-05-03 07:10 AM

63. "use google"
In response to Reply # 49

i encourage people to learn on their own.

search "tipping point, white flight".

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Whaleboy70
Member since Jun 02nd 2003
1656 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 04:42 PM

41. "John Mayer, and Macy Gray"
In response to Reply # 0

This will be great. How bout a song with Jessica Simpson and that fuckin husband of hers. Christ are they really this desperate for airplay

Albums in the ride
Bob Dylan - The Essential
The Stooges - Fun House
The White Stripes - Elephant
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Karen O is my Goddess.
R.I.P Johnny Cash + John Ritter

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 11:05 PM

48. "RE: John Mayer, and Macy Gray"
In response to Reply # 41

we missed you!

debooen
Charter member
309 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 08:53 AM

53. "RE: John Mayer, and Macy Gray"
In response to Reply # 41

Boy....she is a freakin cry baby....at least her hubby does shit himself.....I'd be irate if i came home and there was a pile of cloths that had been laying in the main entry way of the house for a week.

E-Roc
www.TheRootsLive.com

Whaleboy70
1656 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 04:50 PM

56. "No doubt"
In response to Reply # 53

Shes not that fuckin fine. The dude needs to keep his shit in check

Albums in the ride
The Stooges - Fun House

Karen O is my Goddess.

krewcial
Charter member
3268 posts
Tue Sep-02-03 10:00 PM

45. "funny coincidence"
In response to Reply # 0

>Says Thompson: " Exile on
>Main St. is my blueprint."

I found a mint copy of Exile for $4 last week ...

krewcial
|

krewcial
www.krewcial.com
www.myspace.com/krewcial
www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23051&forum=lesson

http://www.23hq.com/krewcial/photo/1085564?album_id=1085556

Nashville recording sessions : www.krewcial.com/nashville

RamXL
Charter member
13957 posts
Wed Sep-03-03 09:34 AM

54. "damn damn damn"
In response to Reply # 0

nas and black on the same track...

man that's too good to be true.

one,
-ram

"shit, been the same since '86 and kane"

skeerock
Charter member
1270 posts
Thu Sep-04-03 08:41 AM

61. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

nas? i guess the porch monkey insult only caused temporary bad blood.

>http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030908-480289,00.html
>
>Sunday, Aug. 31, 2003
>The Roots Reinvent The Rock-Rap Sound
>By CHRISTOPHER JOHN FARLEY
>
> One of the Roots' early albums was titled Do You
>Want More?!!!??!, and the band's answer to that question is
>still yes, with just as many exclamation points (and maybe
>not so many question marks). But despite a career that has
>lasted more than a decade, the band is looking to shake
>things up. Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson, the Roots' drummer,
>says the group is considering calling its next album The
>Tipping Point, a reference to the Malcolm Gladwell book
>about the momentum of ideas, and to the fact that the band
>members are still seeking to take their career to that next
>level. "Our original fans are in their 30s," says Thompson.
>"Their little brothers or cousins are our new audience."
>
> So the Roots are making some changes. The group plans to
>start recording a new album this month, for release next
>year. A guitarist, Kirk Douglas (nope, not that Kirk, and
>yes, he's heard the jokes), has been added to the core
>lineup — Thompson, vocalist Black Thought, keyboardist
>Kamal and bassist Hub. Another guitarist, Martin Luther
>(not that one either), will also play on some cuts.
>
> The band, which has combined rock and rap on past
>releases, hopes to pioneer a more sophisticated blend of
>the genres. Says Thompson: " Exile on
>Main St. is my blueprint." The plan is to invite other
>musicians — John Mayer, Macy Gray and Nas are on the wish
>list — to drop by for jam sessions out of which, they
>trust, songs will emerge. The Roots' Philadelphia studio
>has even been tricked out with a whole bunch of amenities
>so the band can play host to longer, later jam sessions.
>"We definitely want a darker, murkier texture," says
>Thompson. We'll know next year how well it works out.

----------------------------------------------------------
two rappers got stuck that night
i aint sayin' no names
they know who
thank you for the chains

MaineRapKingB
Charter member
2184 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 01:30 PM

68. "John Mayer sucks"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-06-03 01:31 PM

you can still be original and work with rappers.

Outkast. Nature. Cee Lo. Jay-Z. Anybody but lame Dave Matthews wannabes.

Support your favorite rappers, check the blog for the latest from QB's Nature

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 03:57 PM

69. "RE: John Mayer sucks"
In response to Reply # 68
Sat Sep-06-03 03:58 PM

Yo I say kill all this talk about what it might sound like and why this person ain't on there and why this person may be on there just let em play and let the cards fall where they do.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Whaleboy70
1656 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 04:05 PM

70. "RE: Roots in Time Magazine - new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

This album is going to be thier "Music N Hour Message". A big piece of crap.

Albums in the ride
The Stooges - Fun House

Karen O is my Goddess.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #6848 Previous topic | Next topic