Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #6391

Subject: "Dead Prez in jail.................?!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
poetik
Member since Dec 09th 2002
293 posts
Mon Sep-29-03 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dead Prez in jail.................?!"

y'all heard the news...

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=2395

what the eff.
are they out
is this some John Ashcroft/Patriot Act b.s.

thats aiight we'll bring em down with hiphop.
its a social medicine.

"we lost some rights since oneone nine"
Big Boi

peace in the 03
ian/poetik

'Boom buh chalk buh boom buh chalk'

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!
Sep 30th 2003
Sep 30th 2003
Sep 30th 2003
the article said it was a photo shoot
Sep 30th 2003
      RE: the article said it was a photo shoot
Sep 30th 2003
           im really just talking conspiracy, like
Sep 30th 2003
                RE: im really just talking conspiracy, like
Oct 01st 2003
                     cosign
Oct 01st 2003
                     What makes it so unbelievable?
Oct 01st 2003
Sep 30th 2003
UPDATE
Sep 30th 2003
RE: UPDATE
Sep 30th 2003
is this nazi germany? it's against the law to not have
Sep 30th 2003
RE: is this nazi germany? it's against the law to not h
Sep 30th 2003
Cite your source
Sep 30th 2003
      Here's mine...
Sep 30th 2003
      RE: Here's mine...
Sep 30th 2003
           I agree with this
Sep 30th 2003
           actually
Oct 02nd 2003
           That sounds right...
Oct 01st 2003
      RE: Cite your source
Sep 30th 2003
           oh, shit... eko...
Oct 01st 2003
RE: UPDATE
Sep 30th 2003
Sep 30th 2003
how is that not protest?
Sep 30th 2003
      RE: how is that not protest?
Sep 30th 2003
           dog, u don't know what you're talking about
Sep 30th 2003
                RE: dog, u don't know what you're talking about
Sep 30th 2003
just show the dayum id....
Sep 30th 2003
nah...
Sep 30th 2003
publicity stunt?
Sep 30th 2003
RE: publicity stunt?
Oct 01st 2003
RE: publicity stunt?
Oct 01st 2003
      Would U please STFU!!!!
Oct 01st 2003
           RE: Would U please STFU!!!!
Oct 01st 2003
Oct 01st 2003
Oct 01st 2003
                     Please Stop!
Oct 01st 2003
                          RE: Please Stop!
Oct 01st 2003
                               Look whiteboy
Oct 01st 2003
                                    RE: Look whiteboy
Oct 01st 2003
                My Take...
Oct 01st 2003
                RE: My Take...
Oct 01st 2003
                'Get arrested for something real.'
Oct 01st 2003
                     RE: 'Get arrested for something real.'
Oct 01st 2003
Oct 01st 2003
you a bitch
Oct 02nd 2003
      RE: you a bitch
Oct 02nd 2003

SomeJerk
Member since Sep 28th 2003
167 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 0

thats interesting how they wouldn't disclose why they were arrested to the press..

"kids if you want to piss off your parents, show interest in the arts. kids, if you really want to piss off your parents, buy real estate in an imaginary place. oh yes!" - busdriver

Sparenon
Member since May 28th 2002
98 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, I can't wait to hear this one. It's seems so obvious though. But the hip hop world would do nothing like it always does. On to the next 50 single.

Nathaniel
Charter member
9962 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 0

how could they have been arrested on the set of their video shoot..was there no warning?
somebody was sleep in the deadprez camp...you supposed to warn the homies when the pigs is whooping around the block.

King James Bible states in (1st Corinthians 14:8-9)-"..Again, If the trumpet does NOT sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?..So it is with you."

For an audible glimpse of my sound, click here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9549455779abe02a/

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 02:13 AM

4. "the article said it was a photo shoot"
In response to Reply # 3

and do you know how long the feds have been watching dead prez.

i can only assume.

ur 'homies' on the 'look out' are never gonna stop them from getting you, they do what they want.

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

BarTek
Member since Nov 10th 2002
51250 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: the article said it was a photo shoot"
In response to Reply # 4

feds?
dead prez?

prove it. cause i don't buy that bullshit for a min.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 05:45 PM

22. "im really just talking conspiracy, like"
In response to Reply # 9

i don't really know that, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised ... one of those

i can say dpz is serious about what they consider a revolution and that they are part of a focal point of at the very least a small movement, or peoples army

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 04:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "RE: im really just talking conspiracy, like"
In response to Reply # 22

with all due respect, dead prez will not lead a cow into a field of grass. there is no people's army, there is no revolution, there is no fed servailance. dead prez is not saying anything, that wasn't already said 40, 50 years ago. they are pretty late, and have exploited the message of revolution as a means to a profitable end. not to say, that they are not sincere, i am sure they are sincere in their views, but, the fact is, their plan of action, will achieve NOTHING. that is why, the government would not care if dead prez started public speaking. it would not cahnge a damn thing. the idea of revolution and all that these cats have been saying is so deeply part of the mainstream now, it only seems "cool" rather than "real".

this was a publicity stung, and dead prez, took opportunity and exploited the police, not the other way around. i hate pigs just as the next man, but giving them shit for asking for i'd without showing them a permit for the right to shoot.

is retarded. but, daps to them for spending a night or 2 in the slammer to boost their record sales.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

dizko_muzik
Member since Nov 13th 2002
2989 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 05:44 AM

29. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 27

that exactly what how feel about dead prez

-----
"nowadays they still cant fix my broken english" Lee Majors
-------------------------

Check my music:

Dizkret&Praktik
"IQ"
Konkret/Dilpak/Sony Poland
------
Stare Miasto
"Minuty"
Universal Music Poland
------
www.dizkret.com
--

---------
http://dizky.com

Captain Anarchy
Member since Aug 11th 2002
2262 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 11:51 AM

42. "What makes it so unbelievable?"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed Oct-01-03 12:01 PM

Just asking...how are you so certain? Is it BECAUSE they're entertainers--and, because they're in the rap game, they're less-than-likely to be at the head of a REAL organization that's actually making moves in the community?

What's the difference between them and Boots Riley? Is Boots more authentic because he's so silent between albums?

"Well, he ain't did no shows in about two years, so, YEAH...he MUST be in the trenches."

Or maybe it's this...

"Boots Riley gave my baby sister an autographed picture and a basket of fruit."

Switch Boots' name with any other cat whose face you don't see in the press--same thing, right? There's just a glaring difference between the cat who gave your sister a fruit basket and dead prez, for some reason.

Are you not FEELING black activism in the hip-hop community, BECAUSE it's going down in the hip-hop community?

Or are you just not feeling black activism at all?

JOHN HENRY CYBORG. There it is. You're looking at it.

http://nevermind.digitaldownlow.net

THE NEVERMIND SYSTEM:

THE LAST DAYS OF RUSSELL:
http://nevermind.digitaldownlow.net/russell

DEAD ARTS GROUP:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dead_arts/

NEVERMIND SYSTEM FORUM/MAILING

narco_sindicalist
Member since Sep 22nd 2003
804 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 07:43 AM

5. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 0

lol... that site is blocked here at my job (i work for a union)...

-----
you can wave that piece of shit flag if you dare
but they killed us because we've been killing em for years
-- Mr Lif

http://www.anarco-nyc.net/anarchistpanther.html

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 08:55 AM

6. "UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 0

vill. voice swipe
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0340/allah.php

Rap Radicals dead prez Taken in Custody During Photo Shoot
'Arrested for Breathing'
by Dasun Allah
October 1 - 7, 2003

embers and supporters of the politically-charged rap group dead prez (dpz), who were arrested Saturday afternoon in Crown Heights, allege the incident was police harassment. Clayton Gavin, a/k/a Sticman, one half of the controversial rap duo, his DJ, Umi Bem Niilampti, and two other associates, Samuel Murrain, a/k/a Ness, and Harris DeJesus, a/k/a D-Don, were in the midst of a photo shoot when they were detained for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, among other charges, after refusing to show identification when queried by police. The cases against all but one of the defendants have already been dismissed.

According to Rosa Clemente, a dpz spokesperson and part of the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement (MXGM), at around 3:30 p.m., the group members were posing for a photographer in front of a Dean Street and Bedford Avenue building when they were approached by two female cops demanding their identification. In response, the group told the officers they were guests of a friend who lived at the address, and asked the reason for the ID request. Clemente says the police persisted, saying, "'What’s the problem, just show us ID,'" and that the rappers asked, "'For what? Why do we have to show you ID? There’s hundreds of people on this block, you ain’t asking them for ID.'"

dead prez claim that after this exchange the officers called for backup, more police arrived and the group was surrounded. Sticman says he repeatedly asked if he was under arrest, was told that he was not, but wasn’t allowed to leave or continue his work. "I was harassed and attacked by the police in my neighborhood," Sticman told the Voice. "I was never told anything about being under arrest. . . . There were no complaints. I wasn’t violating any laws other than the law of being black and being outside."

After the arrival of reinforcements, a sergeant ordered arrests. "He basically says, 'Arrest them all.' They arrest four people. They don’t arrest all the folks out there," says Kamau Karl Franklin, an MXGM attorney and dpz co-counsel along with Marisa Benton. "Something I found interesting was that the photographer who actually was taking the pictures, who is a white guy from England, wasn’t arrested at all. . . . He was just pushed to the side, and, luckily, he kept taking pictures."

"They also threw on the ground," says Clemente, "and put their knee on his head, and his head is on the sidewalk and he is visibly bruised and cut and they didn’t pick up his shoes, so he’s at the precinct with no shoes." In addition, both Sticman and Clemente say that DeJesus was roughed up and slammed against a vehicle.

Benton, a lawyer for the Legal Aid society contacted by dpz supporters, and the first attorney to see the men, finds the arrest curious. "The bottom line is they were arrested for breathing from what I could tell," says Benton. "Definitely, it was an unjustifiable arrest. I understand the police officers got nosy and tried to find a reason to question them and get their IDs. This is something that happens a lot."

The NYPD says that the officers were responding to a report of male trespassers at the location and observed a male urinating against a wall and several males congregated near a stairway. According to the police version, when the officers approached, and asked for ID to ascertain whether or not the subjects lived at the location, the subjects became disorderly and additional units were called in. The police also say that DeJesus kicked a female officer, causing her to sustain a minor injury to her left leg.

Franklin says that authorities alleged earlier that they saw suspicious movements—someone hiding something under a shirt—and that’s what prompted them to approach the group. He calls that assertion a total cover-up and lie. "It’s obvious what they were doing, they were taking pictures," he says.

Franklin says his clients were within their rights to refuse to give IDs without being given a reason. "There is no pass law," says Franklin referring to the one-time law in South Africa requiring all blacks to carry state-issued passes to enter urban areas. "They are not required to give ID someone just walks up to them and demands ID, even if it’s a police officer. We have no basis for the initial stop."

Charges against Sticman, Niilampti, and Murrain were dismissed early Sunday and they were released from the Brooklyn courthouse without appearing before a judge. "As we are waiting for arraignment, we don’t see their names on the docket," says Clemente. "Then we go to get lunch, we come back. Stic, Umi, and Ness were released through the back door. They didn’t give them an explanation."

"Prosecution declined to prosecute," says Franklin. "Only was held, and he is being charged at this present time with assault in the third degree, attempted assault in the third degree, menacing in the third degree, and harassment in the second degree—all misdemeanor charges. And the most amusing thing about the complaint is that there’s no charge here of disorderly conduct, no charge of resisting arrest, no underlying charges as to why they walked up to them in the first place and started demanding their ID."

DeJesus was arraigned, released without bail, and still faces charges. dpz, who were recently released from their Sony contract, just performed Friday night at the New School University as part of the ACLU College Freedom Tour, where NYPD and school police presence was reportedly heavy.

freeze
Charter member
49 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 09:39 AM

7. "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 6

If there's one thing you're always compelled to do with cops it's show ID. Always. No exceptions. Cops can legally ask for ID for ANY reason, and often use it as a way to trap heads by gettin them riled up.

I'm sayin the whole thing was bullshit, but the attorney is wrong. you always gotta show ID if asked.

And Rosa Clemente...man, I dunno. Just laying down to harassment is bullshit, but Rosa wouldn't know how to calmly deal with a lazy Sunday afternoon.

-------------
If I ever went solo..

Ason
Member since Dec 27th 2002
30506 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 10:53 AM

10. "is this nazi germany? it's against the law to not have"
In response to Reply # 7

fuk that
the only thing that saved them dudes was that they are known by people

this whole shyt was total bullshyt gestapo shyt

--------------------------------------

http://www.yvonneridley.org/multimedia.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
250 troops lead by Custer were defeated by the Dakota, they are Sioux Indians.

ZaMira
Member since Sep 22nd 2003
91 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 11:42 PM

25. "RE: is this nazi germany? it's against the law to not h"
In response to Reply # 10

Watch your mouth brother!
This is still far away from Nazi Germany or any Gestapo-police attitude...!!! But it can always get worse...

Peace & Blessings, ZaMira

Peace & Blessings, ZaMira

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:24 PM

14. "Cite your source"
In response to Reply # 7

>If there's one thing you're always compelled to do with cops
>it's show ID. Always. No exceptions. Cops can legally ask
>for ID for ANY reason

Because I'm not sure this is true.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:25 PM

15. "Here's mine..."
In response to Reply # 14

looks like it's in question:
http://archive.aclu.org/news/1999/n112999a.html

-
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

freeze
Charter member
49 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:47 PM

17. "RE: Here's mine..."
In response to Reply # 15

Ok, cops have to have to satisfy some test to do anything...'probable cause' to search a car, etc. The burden to ID someone is nearly the lowest...like in this case someone at some point made a tresspassing complaint...which may have been by a business owner or whatever where they were shooting. That's enough. I think the burden to detain and ID is "reasonable suspicion." If someone called about some guy urinating, or tresspassing with a description, that's more than enough.

If this was a photo shoot, there was probably a bunch of heads milling around, goofing around, whatever. Someone who lived or worked nearby didn't want them there (or didn't want their property in the photo, etc.), and called the cops. The cops went up to them and asked for ID. They weren't sitting at a bus stop.

ACLU says you SHOULDN'T have to. If they had just bumped into cops, then no, they don't have to.

NYPD are facist, but that doesn't mean you have to be a fool about it.

-------------
If I ever went solo..

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:53 PM

18. "I agree with this"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Sep-30-03 01:55 PM

and thought the same thing after reading the "UPDATE" that actually provided us with some details.

the article didn't make it clear that the police offered any reasons to them why they were being IDed though ... by explaining to them that there was a complaint or that there was someone seen urinating in public or that there were notices of people acting suspiciously.

its impossible for us to know what exactly went down but i too could imagine someone making a complaint, as well as misc. people milling about the area who were with dpz but not instrumental to the shoot, just hanging out, which we all know isn't tollerated in most cities these days

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Oct-02-03 09:07 PM

48. "actually"
In response to Reply # 18

beforei moved to california, i lived in that neighborhood. and its not uncommon for people to just be hanging out on the street. especially on dean. there are plenty of bars, restaurants, etc.. on dean st.

but historically, crown heights has been a hot bed for police problems

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 07:31 AM

33. "That sounds right..."
In response to Reply # 17

I'm not trying to condone dpz actions, but as my girlfriend said to me yesterday after I sent her the article, "Well, somebody's got to refuse to give their ID." Which I think is a really valid & valuable point.

I wouldn't have done it, and I think it was foolish, but if no one speaks up... nahmean?

-

ekogirl
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
601 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 06:05 PM

23. "RE: Cite your source"
In response to Reply # 14

WORD UP JESSE THORN! Look at you edumacating on Okay boards. KZSC RULES THE WORLD!

peace,
erica

eko
hiphopethics101
kcsb, 91.9
Monday 10pm-midnight
Santa Barbara
Urb Magazine
thegiantpeach.com

:::::::::::::::::::::::
www.ekogirl.com
www.urb.com
www.kzsc.org
www.thegiantpeach.com
www.myspace.com/ekogirl

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 07:29 AM

32. "oh, shit... eko..."
In response to Reply # 23

I wish you were still up here, kid... the hip-hop dept went to hell. New director is good, but he's too much of a def jux nerd, and he has to try and undo the damage of the past two years.

-

BarTek
51250 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 10:08 AM

8. "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 6

why can't they just show id. sigh.

this feels more like a publicity stung than anything else.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

BarTek
51250 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 11:05 AM

11. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 0

if they at least went to jail for a protest. well, at least y'all know they ain't as smart as you think by getting locked up for not showing id.

hahahahahaha classic shit. i love it.

let's play ping pong ■

Ason
30506 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 11:20 AM

12. "how is that not protest?"
In response to Reply # 11

you sound like a hater
ppl like you are allowed the rise of the facist police state we have now

BarTek
51250 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 11:33 AM

13. "RE: how is that not protest?"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Sep-30-03 11:45 AM

nevermind.

sigh.

let's play ping pong ■

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 01:40 PM

16. "dog, u don't know what you're talking about"
In response to Reply # 13

you called them getting arrested "a publicity stunt" in one of your earlier replies. Please, do you listen to dead prez?

PolarbearToeNails sites a source that shows one article refering to being arrested for not showing ID as unconstitutional (http://archive.aclu.org/news/1999/n112999a.html) as declared by the supreme court

all you're doing is talking hot air

Nathaniel
Charter member
9962 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 03:12 PM

19. "RE: dog, u don't know what you're talking about"
In response to Reply # 16

them niggas had every right NOT to show them pigs ID.
Simple fact being, it was most likely obvious that this was a valid photo shoot..how many drug dealers or miscreants have photopgraphers suggesting potential poses on stoops in brooklyn.
Classic case of harrassment from the details.

King James Bible states in (1st Corinthians 14:8-9)-"..Again, If the trumpet does NOT sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?..So it is with you."

For an audible glimpse of my sound, click here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9549455779abe02a/

pouring RAin down on u
Member since Jul 01st 2003
2145 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 03:54 PM

20. "just show the dayum id...."
In response to Reply # 0

...please....if they showed ID and shyt popped off and they went 2 jail anyway, THEN i'd see a reason 4 it to be news.

but as far as this reads to me it only made the news cuz they're the dead prez...cuz that's a retard azz reason 2 go to jail...

freedomfighter_pnk
Member since Feb 03rd 2003
320 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 05:32 PM

21. "nah..."
In response to Reply # 20

I doubt there even was a tresspassing complaint, cops can easily make that shit up to cover up their faults. Does anyone know if the laws are different in Canada? Cause I also refused to give personal information once, because I didn't have ID, and the cops didn't have a reason to ask. I was just walking down the street. They tried to tell me I was obstructing an investigation by not telling them my info, they got frustrated and they slammed me against the car and threw me into the back seat. They threatened and cursed at me for a while, then let me out shortly after. I assume they just take down information about people, and say if, for example, a stabbing was reported around the same time u were questioned, they'll come question you about it. Another example of cops making up reasons, is when I was with a friend once, who was hand cuffed for no reason, and after they searched him, they found some weed, and charged him with possesion, even though they didnt know he was carrying it at the time of the arrest. They said someone reported a BNE in the building we were infront of, which I'm sure was total bullshit. When he started harassing me, I immediately asked to see his badge to varify his #, and he changed his attitude completely, and became much more friendly. Anyways, my question is, do I have to show an officer ID if I'm approached without reason? This has happened numerous times, and I always end up arguing, and in the end, I give the info, whether it's real or not.

----------------------------
common sense is self defense

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Tue Sep-30-03 06:48 PM

24. "publicity stunt?"
In response to Reply # 0

no its def not, but it should be

then shot nine times

then dropped from label

then reemergence

jp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 04:26 AM

26. "RE: publicity stunt?"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Oct-01-03 04:27 AM

we are talking about it.

IT IS A PUBLICITY STUNT!

THEY WANT MORE LISTENNERS! THEY WANT MORE MONEY!

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 04:30 AM

28. "RE: publicity stunt?"
In response to Reply # 24

with all due respect, dead prez will not lead a cow into a field of grass. there is no people's army, there is no revolution, there is no fed servailance. dead prez is not saying anything, that wasn't already said 40, 50 years ago. they are pretty late, and have exploited the message of revolution as a means to a profitable end. not to say, that they are not sincere, i am sure they are sincere in their views, but, the fact is, their plan of action, will achieve NOTHING. that is why, the government would not care if dead prez started public speaking. it would not cahnge a damn thing. the idea of revolution and all that these cats have been saying is so deeply part of the mainstream now, it only seems "cool" rather than "real".

this was a publicity stung, and dead prez, took opportunity and exploited the police, not the other way around. i hate pigs just as the next man, but giving them shit for asking for i'd without showing them a permit for the right to shoot.

is retarded. but, daps to them for spending a night or 2 in the slammer to boost their record sales.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

TOYA
Member since Feb 04th 2003
32 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 06:06 AM

30. "Would U please STFU!!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

You have no idea what it feels like to be put in those type situations, because the more I read your shit I can tell you're a white boy that would not have ANY IDEA what Dead Prez was feelin at that particular point & time-they felt they were being violoated, so they reacted to it. Shit is easy for U to say when you don't have to deal with it. Please-stay out of shit that you don't know shit about! Your opinion is worthless, because you're a whiteboy that does not face this type of harrassment on the daily!

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 06:54 AM

31. "RE: Would U please STFU!!!!"
In response to Reply # 30
Wed Oct-01-03 07:08 AM

Okay, I feel that. But, understand, I ain't tryinna shoot down the cause. I would just like to see them do something real, get arrested for something real. This is a small fight, a small insignificant conflict that could have been avoided by:

1. show i.d.
2. show permi.

Dude, go out, and start taking photos of ya homies in a public place and tell me, if you do not get questioned? I have been educating myself and studying black history, as well as proposing ideas, or trying to help turn the disadvantage many black folks face. I reall ain't tryinna clown the sentiment, just the people. You don't think some people need criticism? do you think every black individual who is pro-black, ant-white is telling you the truth? Nah man, they are only giving you a piece of their perception. Conditioned perception.

peace. I don't want beef with you dawg.

let's play ping pong ■

TOYA
32 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:03 AM

34. "RE: Would U please STFU!!!!"
In response to Reply # 31

>Okay, I feel that. But, understand, I ain't tryinna shoot
>down the cause. I would just like to see them do something
>real, get arrested for something real. This is a small
>fight, a small insignificant conflict that could have been
>avoided by:
>
>1. show i.d.
>2. show permi.
The thing is there was NO CAUSE for them to be askin for ID, & that's somethin that black folk (men in particular face everyday

>Dude, go out, and start taking photos of ya homies in a
>public place and tell me, if you do not get questioned?

No, U shouldn't be questioned about taking pics. If these were a few of You & your homies it wouldn't have been a problem, & that's a sad reality.

I >have been educating myself and studying black history, as
>well as proposing ideas, or trying to help turn the
>disadvantage many black folks face.
That's nice-but try TALKIN to some of your fellow brotheren-don't try to learn everything from a book.

I reall ain't tryinna
>clown the sentiment, just the people. You don't think some
>people need criticism? do you think every black individual
>who is pro-black, ant-white is telling you the truth? Nah
>man, they are only giving you a piece of their perception.
>Conditioned perception.
See this is very EASY for you to say, 'cause you DO NOT walk in these shoes everyday;You will never know what that feels like! Your skin saves you from this kinda harrassment. I think criticism is cool as long as it's constructive. When you speak on things that U know very little about (i.e., being harrassed because of the skin you're in), you need to be constructive with your criticism. That it all.
>
>peace. I don't want beef with you dawg.

I'm a middle aged AA women btw, & I'm raising 3 young black men aged 12, 16 and 20 who face this type of harrassment on the daily, and would love for them to hear a white man's perspective on these issues-as long as it's constructive. peace.

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:48 AM

36. "RE: Would U please STFU!!!!"
In response to Reply # 34

>No, U shouldn't be questioned about taking pics. If these
>were a few of You & your homies it wouldn't have been a
>problem, & that's a sad reality.

I disagree with you. I have been harassed by cops for many things, and actually have an upcoming courtdate for being accused of something I did not do.

>That's nice-but try TALKIN to some of your fellow
>brotheren-don't try to learn everything from a book.

My adolescence was spent in South Africa. I went to Jamaica for a bit of time, and worked in Kingston, Riverton, and Montego Bay. I spent time in the ghetto's, the slums, and I worked in an orphanage, and an old folks home. Thugs, and I mean, the real deal gun crackin type accepted me and welcomed me with pounds and head nods and I never felt threatened, as a white boi, to be eating, and living with them.

>
>See this is very EASY for you to say, 'cause you DO NOT walk
>in these shoes everyday;You will never know what that feels
>like! Your skin saves you from this kinda harrassment. I
>think criticism is cool as long as it's constructive. When
>you speak on things that U know very little about (i.e.,
>being harrassed because of the skin you're in), you need to
>be constructive with your criticism. That it all.

Actually, I have spent my life befriending people with color, I have experienced a lot of hate, and prejudice for my skin color. I have been blamed for everything that is wrong with society because of my color. You do not know me. You do not know what I experienced.

>
>I'm a middle aged AA women btw, & I'm raising 3 young black
>men aged 12, 16 and 20 who face this type of harrassment on
>the daily, and would love for them to hear a white man's
>perspective on these issues-as long as it's constructive.
>peace.

Anything, even if it seems negative is constructive because you are able to learn another perspective. We are both right, you and I. There is no right or wrong, there is only a difference in interpretation.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

TOYA
32 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:59 AM

38. "Please Stop!"
In response to Reply # 36

>I disagree with you. I have been harassed by cops for many
>things, and actually have an upcoming courtdate for being
>accused of something I did not do.
Yeah-but do you think you were being harrassed because of the skin you're in? I don't think so
>My adolescence was spent in South Africa. I went to Jamaica
>for a bit of time, and worked in Kingston, Riverton, and
>Montego Bay. I spent time in the ghetto's, the slums, and I
>worked in an orphanage, and an old folks home. Thugs, and I
>mean, the real deal gun crackin type accepted me and
>welcomed me with pounds and head nods and I never felt
>threatened, as a white boi, to be eating, and living with
>them.
>That's nice that you spent SOME time with the less fortunate-now try that shit 24/7 365!

>Actually, I have spent my life befriending people with
>color, I have experienced a lot of hate, and prejudice for
>my skin color. I have been blamed for everything that is
>wrong with society because of my color. You do not know me.
>You do not know what I experienced.
See this shit right here tells me that you're full of yourself. How dare society blame you for being white & being able to do/go/get just about any/every thing you want LOL!!!

>Anything, even if it seems negative is constructive because
>you are able to learn another perspective. We are both
>right, you and I. There is no right or wrong, there is only
>a difference in interpretation.
WRONG again. You can not tell me a perspective about something that you have not experienced yourself. You can only speculate, & no thanks, but I'd rather get perspective from someone who KNOWS what they speak of. Now go away-I don't need to hear any more of your perspectives because they're bullshit!

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 09:15 AM

39. "RE: Please Stop!"
In response to Reply # 38

>See this shit right here tells me that you're full of
>yourself. How dare society blame you for being white &
>being able to do/go/get just about any/every thing you want
>LOL!!!

If you actually think that is the truth, there is no hope for you but, let me break it down for your incapable mind.

1. Dead Prez were discriminated against by white people who were Police.

Correct? okay.

It is something I could never understand because I am not black, I am white, and supposedly the police are my friends even though I have a court date.

2. I was and continue to be discriminated for being white by people of a darker color.

Example: YOU

And why?

Becuse, you SPECULATE and ASSUME that just because I am white, I have a whole world of opportunity, and that the police welcome me with open arms, that I can get a job whenever I want.

Okay, so knowing that you SPECULATE, you are full of shit yourself. At least, I attempted to go into your world, into your nations, and learn first hand, what black people are facing. By the way, I work for an organization that builds schools for 3rd world countries. We are currently working on raising money to build schools in Sierra Leone, which is the poorest country in the world. Our work has been featured on Oprah and will be again on an upcoming show.

What have you done lately besides hating?

Did, I at any point say society blamed me for being white? Where do you get this shit? From your own skewed and ludicrous view of society. The way you think, you plan to fail, and you plan to break down communication:

Example:
>
>WRONG again. You can not tell me a perspective about
>something that you have not experienced yourself. You can
>only speculate, & no thanks, but I'd rather get perspective
>from someone who KNOWS what they speak of. Now go away-I
>don't need to hear any more of your perspectives because
>they're bullshit!

Wow. What a response. I offered you logic, and I offered you a fair perspective and you offered me, ignorance. You have a very small mind and I fear for your children. Please raise them without teaching them anything you believe or they will plan to fail just like you. Look at your own life and ask yourself why you are so fucking miserable. PEACE woman.

let's play ping pong ■

TOYA
32 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 10:43 AM

40. "Look whiteboy"
In response to Reply # 39

What a response. I offered you logic, and I offered you
>a fair perspective and you offered me, ignorance. You have a
>very small mind and I fear for your children. Please raise
>them without teaching them anything you believe or they will
>plan to fail just like you. Look at your own life and ask
>yourself why you are so fucking miserable. PEACE woman.

Don't you worry about how I'm raising my kids. I am NOT miserable, I have a very happy life, and just because I don't agree with how & what you said about the situation with DeadPrez does not give U the right to attack me personnaly-fuck u!!!

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 10:57 AM

41. "RE: Look whiteboy"
In response to Reply # 40

We are talking about personal attacks?

"Look whiteboy"

Thank you for proving my point you miserable bitch. Btw, fuck you too.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

gsquared
Member since Oct 26th 2002
3647 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:17 AM

35. "My Take..."
Wed Oct-01-03 08:21 AM

...Tek, your credibility on any issue in any milieu is dissipating rapidly because you have allowed yourself to be become completely polarized in cynicism and negativity, it's clear from reading your ish all over these boards that you have either intentionally or unwittingly become very predictable--you seem terribly bitter toward anyone who has had any success in their lives--you relentlessly seek a way to spin negativity onto anything and everything, at your own expense, there is no balance to your views, no generosity of spirit...

....as for the issue, clearly, *Dead Prez is trying to make a fucking point in how they live their lives*--they've gotten people's attention and are demanding their rights and testing the 1st amendment and the Patriot Act and are acting *heroically* in doing so...they didn't show the ID cuz they felt unfairly asked, they apparently feel that they have the right of natural law to just *exist* without having to legitimize their existence to an armed militia of the state, a state whose authority they perhaps question as being born of illegitimate authority in the first place...I think that accusing them of planning this as a stunt is asinine, with due respect...when people risk their fuckin skin to be true to their ideals, instead of earning respect, they get dissed..?...yes, maybe they could've shown the ID's...but, this ain't South Africa, there were hundreds of peeps on the block, and they felt unfairly singled out and held their ground, questioning the "authority"--where does this authority gain it's legitimacy? At the end of a gun, or a club, or a boot, not through earning community respect...with the support of the corporations, literally, and the sheep-le...it needs to change, change needs to take place, and Dead Prez is consistent in insisting that we need change...maybe the people on the block should have the authority...?...

"The Hiphop community exists as an international culture of consciousness that provides all races, tribes, religions, and styles of people, a foundation for the communication of their best ideas and works. Hiphop Kulture is united as one multi-skilled, multi-cultural, multi-faith, multi-racial people, committed to the establishment and the development of peace."

--Hiphop declaration of peace, Temple of Hiphop

http://www.GaryPatrickGarry.com

"I'm stalling in flight
Hovering over horizons
Waiting for night"

"My turn to speak in tongues"
--Photosynthesis

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:57 AM

37. "RE: My Take..."
In response to Reply # 35

you seem terribly bitter toward anyone who has had any success in their lives--you relentlessly seek a way to spin negativity onto anything and everything, at your own expense, there is no balance to your views, no generosity of spirit...

fuck you. g, let's get something straight here..I have been reading your posts and comments for a long time, and the way you think is this..."i am the oldest, i have seent he most, and i am right"...NO. I have challenged you on almost every opinion and I will challenge you on this one as well. Perhaps, your perception, or your conditioning is twisting your opinion into believing that I attack anyone who is successful, that is the furthest from the truth. I have always tried to build people, I have always proposed ideas which would help people come together into unity. What have you done? You shot down one of these very ideas becuase in your "infinite OLD wisdom" you assumed it would be a bad idea. So tell me G, who between us, is the one that is predictibally shooting down others who are attempting to build something. You have done it with others as well, whenever, someone posted a good and worthy idea, you would respond with the typical..."this is my board too, and i hate this, blah blah blah"

I am sorry that you perceive my words as negative...I would ask you to read Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky and perhaps you will get a glimpse into my mind. I am seemingly negative, and depressed because deep down, I am the exact opposite. If you read my comments on Dead Prez I said "I wish they would do something real"....The fight they picked, over being asked to show I.D. is in my opinion...not worth the effort. Nobody is going to care, nobody is going to remember, and nobody is going to give a damn fucking good shit. My speculation to Dead Prez using this as a publicity stunt is not impossible...it is a very real possibility and seems like an interesting thing to do to bring attention to your cause does it not? is that not what all "freedom fighters" do? attempt to bring attention to themselves?

Why was this made public and why where the reasons for arrest not announced?

Think about that one.

Once again, by asking them to do something "real" is by asking them to stop advocating the usual "lets kill every cracka mothefucka white devil in they schools" bullshit, taht will get them nowhere, at least, nowhere real. it will only create MORE hate, and MORE violence, and MORE beef. Forgive me oh great G, if I chose not to give a shit about their racist views and call them morons for something that is evidently and clearly moronic. Pick your fights wisely and you can take a few steps forward. I am very interested to hear and see examples on how I try to step on everyones "success". I have to be hoenst with you, and tell you, that I was expecting an attack from you in the past few days becuase I have been challenging your thoughts and I know how much you hate that. You are not always right G, you are not a wise man, you are none of these things if your approach to an argument is a judgment with no proof. Predict that shit.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

Captain Anarchy
Member since Aug 11th 2002
2262 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 12:03 PM

44. "'Get arrested for something real.'"

I'm assuming you mean something like attempting to free a political prisoner, or starting a free breakfast program without a license.

Maybe THEN you'd believe a little?

JOHN HENRY CYBORG. There it is. You're looking at it.

THE NEVERMIND SYSTEM:

THE LAST DAYS OF RUSSELL:
http://nevermind.digitaldownlow.net/russell

DEAD ARTS GROUP:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dead_arts/

NEVERMIND SYSTEM FORUM/MAILING

BarTek
51250 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 08:07 PM

45. "RE: 'Get arrested for something real.'"
In response to Reply # 44

not necessarily. not those things. not "revolutionary" or "activist" actions. those are just as mainstream as the stereotypes.

something real would be. fundraising, to buy the ghetto's and turn a profit on the land.

peace.

let's play ping pong ■

meridian81
Member since May 24th 2002
945 posts
Wed Oct-01-03 11:57 AM

43. "RE: Dead Prez in jail.................?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dead Prez is wack anyways.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Ason
30506 posts
Thu Oct-02-03 03:52 PM

46. "you a bitch"
In response to Reply # 43

with the big B

iyapostewart
Member since Dec 25th 2002
325 posts
Thu Oct-02-03 05:42 PM

47. "RE: you a bitch"
In response to Reply # 46

i wonder if i should bit that. lol
peace
roah

---------
you need to find your peace
instead of fighting me
i could be your relief
-jazzyfatnastees

-
ase7 productions future projects in film!!!

http://freakdafunkradio.tripod.com

http://members.blackplanet.com/pistachio/

http://takeit2thestreets.tripod.com

---------
you need to find your peace
instead of fighting me
i could be your relief
-jazzyfatnastees

-
ase7 productions future projects in film!!!

http://freakdafunkradio.tripod.com

http://members.blackplanet.com/pistachio/

http://take

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #6391 Previous topic | Next topic