Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #43238

Subject: "Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!" Previous topic | Next topic
UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Wed Jun-07-06 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!"
Fri Jun-30-06 09:40 AM by okpdan

Just sending out a shout for all my fellow okayplayers that this coming fourth of July weekend is going to be bananas

Common is headlining the opening night of the Comerica Tastefest on Friday, June 30th on W. Grand Blvd, by the Fischer Building...best part DJ House Shoes is opening for him...okay...and it's FREE!!!

DID you hear me?? Common for FREE!!!

http://newcenter.com/tastefest/2006/music.htm

and then, with the money you saved to see common for free...you can head on over to Fifth Avenue Downtown for the J Dilla Foundation opening tribute party with a incredible lineup..
hosted by Common.
wajeed
dj dummy
house shoes
and many more

don't miss this incredible night...
and if you're around on tuesday for shoes' final house and at the festival for J*Davey, Wajeed and Amp fiddler...come see me skate in our Detroit Roller Derby exhibition ...

much love,
Kyle

"but why oh why do you feel you need to take over the world when you already rule? " ~ calamity june

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!
Jun 07th 2006
heeeyyyy,
Jun 08th 2006
RE: heeeyyyy,
Jun 09th 2006
      and i see ya back, and.....................
Jun 09th 2006
I'm there!!!
Jun 08th 2006
RE: I'm there!!!
Jun 09th 2006
      RE: I'm there!!!
Jun 13th 2006
the fifth ave party is 21+ btw
Jun 08th 2006
KYLE
Jun 08th 2006
we MISS you!!!
Jun 09th 2006
girrrllllll
Jun 08th 2006
RE: girrrllllll
Jun 09th 2006
tight
Jun 13th 2006
I'm there.
Jun 13th 2006
B.Kyle in the buildin' =)
Jun 13th 2006
Damnit Damnit...
Jun 13th 2006
Jun 14th 2006
i'm in there like swimwear
Jun 14th 2006
Wajeed on July 4th@ 5pm.
Jun 14th 2006
I can't wait...
Jun 20th 2006
This is gonna be nutz!!!!
Jun 21st 2006
Jun 25th 2006
Been planning this trip....
Jun 25th 2006
^^^up^^^
Jun 27th 2006
Tickets for the Dilla tribute?
Jun 27th 2006
RE: Tickets for the Dilla tribute?
Jun 27th 2006
      The Dilla tribute is an sftershow to the Common Concert
Jun 28th 2006
RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - correction
Jun 27th 2006
That's What's Up.....I work across the street...
Jun 29th 2006
Jun 30th 2006
it was a great show!!
Jul 02nd 2006
it was dope, even though it was the same set he's been..
Jul 02nd 2006
RE: it was dope, even though it was the same set he's been..
Jul 03rd 2006
i had the kids with me....
Jul 03rd 2006
RE: i had the kids with me....
Jul 03rd 2006

GetSweptAway
Member since Jan 25th 2005
1519 posts
Wed Jun-07-06 08:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yuuupp, shits about to be crazy

-----------------------------
Whether its college, religious, or street knowledge/I wanna hear them lyrics make sense, no stink garbage/listen whatever u doin just do it wit skill/and just because it's positive don't mean it's somethin I feel. -OneBeLo

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 07:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "heeeyyyy,"
In response to Reply # 0

im'ma b in town...YAAYYY!!!

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-09-06 02:11 AM

10. "RE: heeeyyyy,"
In response to Reply # 2

i seeeeeeeeee you...

much love,
Kyle

"but why oh why do you feel you need to take over the world when you already rule? " ~ calamity june

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Fri Jun-09-06 10:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "and i see ya back, and....................."
In response to Reply # 10

im'ma b in town for the show (kind of a college friend gathering weekend), i might need some transpo to this party, cause the girls might be faking on it.

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

engineegro
Member since Dec 17th 2003
472 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm there!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it recommended to arrive early?

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-09-06 02:08 AM

7. "RE: I'm there!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

to which event??
being early is the new fashionably late...

much love,
Kyle

engineegro
472 posts
Tue Jun-13-06 02:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "RE: I'm there!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Either one...I could imagine the Tastefest getting pretty packed on a Friday night and it's free too.

dmind
Member since Nov 18th 2002
3155 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "the fifth ave party is 21+ btw"
In response to Reply # 0

which is shitty for me but i still get all those free shows.

PoorRighteousTeacher
Member since Nov 11th 2005
2038 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "KYLE"
In response to Reply # 0

SUP COOL BITCH, how've you been with your roller skating ass. I'm trying to get out there for it. You know me, push comes to shove, I will get on the road.

I'm a lurker now.

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-09-06 02:09 AM

8. "we MISS you!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

get your dope ass with a dope name back...

much love,
Kyle

tynie626
Charter member
1860 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 09:03 PM

6. "girrrllllll"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll see u there.. gonna be in the D for 5 days and this time imma make sure i leave there drunk as hell!!

HAAHAHAHA! let the games begin

--------
twitter: /tynie626

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-09-06 02:11 AM

9. "RE: girrrllllll"
In response to Reply # 6

uhh that's easy enough..your blood will be permanant alcohol that weekend...can't wait!!

much love,
Kyle

okpdan
Member since Aug 12th 2003
2452 posts
Tue Jun-13-06 12:10 PM

12. "tight"
In response to Reply # 0

Blackmagicallydelicious
Charter member
9576 posts
Tue Jun-13-06 01:23 PM

13. "I'm there."
In response to Reply # 0

"Slaves have options. There's escape, revolt, or death. But for cowards, there's only consequences..."--from Passing Strange

BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Tue Jun-13-06 04:06 PM

15. "B.Kyle in the buildin' =)"
In response to Reply # 0

... more than likely!!! U know where to find me

I'll be the guy with the video camera =)

C U there!

PEACE!!!

Brian 'B.Kyle' Atkins

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Tue Jun-13-06 04:42 PM

16. "Damnit Damnit..."
In response to Reply # 0

We are all dreamers...

durtygurl1173
Member since Jul 31st 2003
26 posts
Wed Jun-14-06 11:36 AM

17. "RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Holy shit! I'm there, with bells on!

~They killed my sig!~

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Wed Jun-14-06 11:44 AM

18. "i'm in there like swimwear"
In response to Reply # 0

Earl Flynn
Member since Dec 08th 2005
28751 posts
Wed Jun-14-06 02:00 PM

19. "Wajeed on July 4th@ 5pm."
In response to Reply # 0

5 p.m.
WAAJEED
www.bling47.com
This man of many musical hats has worked as a DJ, producer, and indie record label owner. By collaborating with some of hip hops finest producers and artists, his various musical pursuits have been met with critical acclaim and established him as a master of his domain.

Can_I_Sing4U
Member since Mar 07th 2003
42 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:45 AM

20. "I can't wait..."
In response to Reply # 0

I messed around and got a real job, so I couldn't frequent the Lights like I could previously. Needless to say, I will be making up for lost time!!!!

Spiryt of Detroit

www.illiancerecords.com

MyGodComPlex
Member since May 24th 2005
931 posts
Wed Jun-21-06 05:19 PM

21. "This is gonna be nutz!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

IMO, Tribes worst >>>>>>>>> most cats best. (c) Me!

<-------Whose gonna take the weight?
http://myspace.com/kwilliamsmygodcomplex

olujosh
Charter member
161 posts
Sun Jun-25-06 01:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
22. "RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

PERFECT timing! I'm gonna be visiting fam back in Michigan (I live in Philly)...

You need anything for this? Just show up early and get a good spot, eh?

musikluver1982
Member since Jun 11th 2006
6467 posts
Sun Jun-25-06 03:50 AM

23. "Been planning this trip...."
In response to Reply # 0

Since we got back to chicago from the last tribute @ DEMF...

ROAD TRIP!!!!

http://twitter.com/KPappsmear

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Tue Jun-27-06 08:01 AM

24. "^^^up^^^"
In response to Reply # 0

cause.

engineegro
472 posts
Tue Jun-27-06 03:34 PM

25. "Tickets for the Dilla tribute?"
In response to Reply # 0

I heard of a few spots were you can buy them, like Pure Detroit. Does anyone know if tix are availble at the door?

olujosh
Charter member
161 posts
Tue Jun-27-06 08:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
27. "RE: Tickets for the Dilla tribute?"
In response to Reply # 25

>I heard of a few spots were you can buy them, like Pure
>Detroit. Does anyone know if tix are availble at the door?

Wait, so you gotta BUY tickets now? Can someone clear this up?

What do I gotta do to see this show?

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Jun-28-06 07:36 PM

28. "The Dilla tribute is an sftershow to the Common Concert"
In response to Reply # 27

Common at the Tastefest is FREE.

www.myspace.com/jdilla

Detroit: Dilla tribute June 30th

On Friday, June 30, 2006, possibly one of the most comprehensive stage collaborations in Detroit music history will take place at Fifth Avenue Downtown as over one dozen musicians, producers, vocalists, and DJs come together to celebrate the life, legacy, and music of the late James "Jay Dee" Yancey aka J Dilla.

Mr. Yancey died at the age of 32 as a result of lupus complications this past February. In his short time, Jay Dee managed to produce well over 100 artists and became somewhat of a ubiquitous, omnipresent "man behind the beats" in progressive hip hop music worldwide.

A native Detroiter, J Dilla started out like most in Detroit hip hop - at the 7 Mile Hip Hop Shop, and at the Detroit home studio of funk guru, Amp Fiddler. Yet, he went on to become arguably the most respected hip hop producer of today. Superstar hip hop and pop music producers bowed eagerly in the presence of the humble Jay Dee.

J Dilla was like a machine - a true hip hop machine, prolific an understatement. One could say that, in many ways, Yancey brought together many of the disparate sects within the political industry of hip hop music, mainly because he stood for quality music and the perfection of a craft.

In order to keep his legacy alive, Mrs. Maureen Yancey, Dilla's mother, has founded the J Dilla Foundation as a non-profit tool to fund both lupus research and music programs for underprivileged children, especially for youth in Detroit.

The J Dilla Foundation launches its first project this month with the first in a series of live benefit events featuring performers that knew and loved Jay Dee - artists that worked and collaborated with him nearly since the beginning of his career, most of them also local Detroiters. This event series will continue on in other US cities into the fall, including Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles.

Serving also as an after-party for the Comerica TasteFest, going on in the city's New Center neighborhood over the 4th of July weekend, this kick-off J Dilla Foundation benefit will feature perfromances from Amp Fiddler, Karriem Riggins, Omar, Waajeed of Slum Village, Frank n Dank, Mudd & Thyme of 5 ELA, DJ House Shoes, DJ Dummy, DJ Graffiti, DJ Kfresh, and will be hosted by hip hop artist and popular MC, Common.

www.myspace.com/jdilla

>>I heard of a few spots were you can buy them, like Pure
>>Detroit. Does anyone know if tix are availble at the door?
>
>Wait, so you gotta BUY tickets now? Can someone clear this
>up?
>
>What do I gotta do to see this show?

lojical1
Member since Dec 13th 2005
4 posts
Tue Jun-27-06 06:13 PM

26. "RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - correction"
In response to Reply # 0

its june 30th, not the 20th.

ronnie d the abstract melody

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Jun-29-06 08:54 AM

29. "That's What's Up.....I work across the street..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rite after work, just get a spot...after I gets some shrimp first:)

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Loxy L Love
Member since May 30th 2006
107 posts
Fri Jun-30-06 12:03 PM

30. "RE: Common / J dilla Tribute - June 30th Detroit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I love the fact that Common's having a tribute show..Considering the concert industry is kind of in an economical depression (due to internet downloading, and other technology) I think more artists should have tribute shows. I'm sure they're cheaper too. Sounds great!~Laura

My Sound will send your mind and body natural anesthesia!~

realityrap
8405 posts
Sun Jul-02-06 05:59 PM

31. "it was a great show!!"
In response to Reply # 0

and house shoes is actually a good dj

Mike Check
Member since Aug 11th 2005
5731 posts
Sun Jul-02-06 11:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
32. "it was dope, even though it was the same set he's been.."
In response to Reply # 0

doin' all year except it was cut in half.

House Shoes was playin' all Dilla before hand which was ill.

but it was free!! i cant complain

--------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<<<< I'm on my Detroit Sheeeeet...

realityrap
8405 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 03:20 AM

33. "RE: it was dope, even though it was the same set he's been.."
In response to Reply # 32

>doin' all year except it was cut in half.

lol hell yea.................

...............these are the CHILDREN OF CRACK AND RAP, BLACKS WHO LACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol that shit is great though.

viagramakesmeimpotent
Charter member
4420 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 04:08 AM

34. "i had the kids with me...."
In response to Reply # 0

they were high........from all the contact smoke.......

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 04:30 PM

35. "RE: i had the kids with me...."
In response to Reply # 34

>they were high........from all the contact smoke.......

Man...you mean to tell me it wasn't 21 and up. I could've sworn an ad said "21+." That's the only reason why I didn't go. I'm so pissed now.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #43238 Previous topic | Next topic