Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #42692

Subject: "The Roots Broke us up, then got us back. B'more Check in." Previous topic | Next topic
Pkjr703
Member since Jun 30th 2002
987 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 06:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Roots Broke us up, then got us back. B'more Check in."

so last summer, or the summer before that i dont remember the roots came to dc. all hyped once again for another great show and night i decided to tell my girl about it, also a fan she was cised to go. as the night came we got into a fight. to make this story short she told me, pretty much it was either roots or her...(wack.)

so i choose the roots which did not go to well with her.

but now that they back in the area, she got tickets to b'more show, and well be there.

just thought damn what a great band to break up and relationship, and semi bring it back.

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I remember that post actually... n/m
Jul 14th 2006
yeah I do too...LOL.
Jul 14th 2006
      I remember it too....and that's a good move
Jul 14th 2006
           RE: I remember it too....and that's a good move
Jul 17th 2006
IgotticketstotheshowVERTISEMENT!
Jul 14th 2006
RE: IgotticketstotheshowVERTISEMENT!
Jul 14th 2006
WOW. B'More Roots... one of the best yet...
Jul 16th 2006
B'more Show.
Jul 17th 2006
A great show, but Quest singing, Eddie are you ok, made my night
Jul 17th 2006
yup
Jul 17th 2006
The roots were Great!
Jul 17th 2006
i give it a @@@.75
Jul 17th 2006
thank god it just wasnt me...
Jul 17th 2006
Maimouna?
Jul 17th 2006
nope
Jul 17th 2006
      yuck
Jul 17th 2006
           lol
Jul 17th 2006
?uests Stick...(no homo)
Jul 17th 2006
word, his drumsticks are so brittle after a show...
Jul 17th 2006
      well...
Jul 18th 2006

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 06:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I remember that post actually... n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

lovelyone80
Member since Dec 15th 2004
50065 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 09:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "yeah I do too...LOL."
In response to Reply # 1

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I remember it too....and that's a good move"
In response to Reply # 4

probably would have done the same...

lakerspride1228
Member since Mar 31st 2005
1451 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "RE: I remember it too....and that's a good move"
In response to Reply # 5

Yea, I remeber that post too

"Shorty said I look like Swizz Beats but like minus the ice"

Current Rotation
Roc Marciano - Marcberg
Portugal The Man - American Ghetto
The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 07:22 AM

2. "IgotticketstotheshowVERTISEMENT!"
In response to Reply # 0

sike! ha! that's tight man. I remember this too.

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"rick ross got old african woman swag" (c)nayaa

Pkjr703
987 posts
Fri Jul-14-06 08:17 AM

3. "RE: IgotticketstotheshowVERTISEMENT!"
In response to Reply # 2

lol

so i take it craigslist worked out for you?

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Pkjr703
987 posts
Sun Jul-16-06 05:42 PM

6. "WOW. B'More Roots... one of the best yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

wow.

review TK...but damn... this is on top 3.

have never seen hub wreck shop on some strings before the way he did.

5 new songs...

where the crowd had no idea what to do, but it looked like a select few who probably stay up to long on the net getting leaks picked up the flow for the rest... dope show.

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 06:40 AM

7. "B'more Show."
In response to Reply # 0

1st off, great sound at Rams Head Live. Nice space, not to small, and def not a large venue.

The meatheads at the door had no idea what the deal was when i asked simple questions about the show, which lead to them to completely forget to check my ID as well as take my ticket.

I missed most of the opener, but since fatlip wasnt there it wasnt a must see as it would have been in 97-98.

Kwelis show was most of the same, enjoyed hearing definition backed my the roots, and hearing kweli spit from the dangerdoom track was ill. also played some new hi tek and kweli song.

the roots...

wow.

killed it. one of the best shows i have seen in some time. lots of newer tracks, which looked like only a few in there new how the songs went. i was glad that i wasnt strong enough to not listen to the GT.

from the whole show start to end it was on point. the sound was great, and really HUB killed it.

if you have seen the roots in the last few years for the most part Hub does the same set. however he was on some other shit at the bmore show, killed it.

thanks ?uest for breaking your drum stick and what luck to find it right after the show.

thanks for a great show...

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

zigbfree
Member since Sep 11th 2002
5447 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 09:11 AM

8. "A great show, but Quest singing, Eddie are you ok, made my night"
In response to Reply # 0

I didnt know dude could hit high notes like that.

I liked it better then there Radio CIty Music concert, which was still a great show, but they just seemed a lot more loose and relaxed.

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 09:58 AM

9. "yup"
In response to Reply # 8

i felt the same way as well, and if it wasnt for all the stars at the RMCH show this would be my next pick.

great show.

hub just turned it up that night.

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

speaksfromtheheart
Member since Jun 15th 2006
92 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 01:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "The roots were Great!"
In response to Reply # 0

It was a great show from start to finish. The MC did an excellent job, he was killin' it with the old school dances. I like the way the roots had Kweli come out. The crowd seemed stuck when the roots came out before Talib. But after kweli came out in the middle of their set the party really got started.

I was laughing when they played yung joc at the end and they were doing the motorcycle dance. That beat is sic, Everybody said hub did his thing, which he did but I gotta give it up to captain Curt on the guitar!! Just amazing. First time at Ramshead and I liked the venue, real chill laid back, the crowd was mos def a "mature hip hop listening audience" It was what hip hop is suppose to be, dress how you want, chill and enjoy the show. Nothing but love.

dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 02:52 PM

11. "i give it a @@@.75"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-17-06 02:56 PM by dro

first off, it was my first time at that rams head live place. nice venue. very new. those guys at the door were kinda weird tho. i'm 20, and couldnt hear what they were saying so just went up to the both of em, and told the 2nd dude "i'm not 21." he clearly didnt hear me and goes "GIVE ME YOUR RIGHT HAND!" and gave me a wristband. lol. meanwhile my friend who's 19 didn't get one. so i don't know what was up. but i was thankful. haha. and yeah, that MC was pretty good, and a good idea to keep the show moving. good selection of tracks, even tho i am well under 25. haha

but anyways, i thought the show was pretty good for the most part. the game theory tracks sounded ill live, although "don't feel right" sounded a little off, but cool. and hub WAS on some other shit tonight. that was rediculous! and capt. kirk was on point as well.

While some say the sound was good, i kind of was dissapointed in the sound levels. you could barely hear kamal and kirk. they did that thing when kirk comes in and starts playing w/ ?uest and knuckles in DC in december, and when the guitar is turned up more and has more of a presence, its much cooler. kamals keys sounded drowned out all night as well.

kweli was good. i was hoping tho that when the roots came back in, they would do get by w/ both kweli and thought there, since they do it live in their hip hop 101 all the time anyways.

my boy and i rolled out at 1 since we were making the trip from VA, when thought was talkin. we thought that it was bout to be over, but it sounds like i missed a few things. what time did it finally end?

also, does anyone know if those video screens on the sides of the stage were part of rams head's thing, or did Kool bring those along? i thought they were kind of distracting.

but overall, great show as usual. nice sized venue, good set, and the new tracks sound good live.

peace
mike

http://theonlyblogthatmatters.wordpress.com
http://www.last.fm/user/mdrohan/

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 04:24 PM

12. "thank god it just wasnt me..."
In response to Reply # 11

who thought hub stright killed it...

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 04:39 PM

13. "Maimouna?"
In response to Reply # 0

was she at the show?

being that she resides in bmore and all...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 06:33 PM

14. "nope"
In response to Reply # 13

unless i got really to drunk and forgot...

but then again i just remembered i like the live ver. of dont feel right better than the one on GT...

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Troubled Spirits
Member since Nov 05th 2003
1934 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 06:37 PM

15. "yuck"
In response to Reply # 14

you like the NORE version more than the album version?

illlllll....

haha

http://adrianruhi.wordpress.com/

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 08:09 PM

16. "lol"
In response to Reply # 15

well ill have to listen um remember it again, but maybe thats why i like it... super thug...

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Pkjr703
987 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 08:13 PM

17. "?uests Stick...(no homo)"
In response to Reply # 0

from all the roots show i have been to, too many to keep track now, i finally got my gruby paws on ?uest stick... (no home).

anyways im very proud of this, to the tip top of my concert stash it goes.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/bboydesigner/1-1.jpg

he hits hard...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/bboydesigner/2-1.jpg

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Mon Jul-17-06 09:11 PM

18. "word, his drumsticks are so brittle after a show..."
In response to Reply # 17

this one broke in my hand as i caught it....

http://image10.webshots.com/10/0/96/75/152009675SCezXq_ph.jpg

Jahmar, if you're reading this, i still want the other half, lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Pkjr703
987 posts
Tue Jul-18-06 09:11 AM

20. "well..."
In response to Reply # 18

this broke during his solo with kucks.

great show...

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #42692 Previous topic | Next topic