Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #40786

Subject: "Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email" Previous topic | Next topic
okayplayer
Member since Jun 21st 2002
905 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 12:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
Thu Oct-05-06 12:57 PM by okayplayer

So late last night Dan forwarded me this email he received from Skillz speaking on his new song Hip Hop Died? I thought the email was on point and wanted to share, so I called Skillz and he said sure. Read on...

me and Khari produced it. Dice had the hook for awhile but never
really did anything with it. I had been buggin him about that hook
since we were on the okayplayer tour supporting true notes together.
It just felt right..Khari did that beat in 20 mins. I dont really have
alotta songs where Im really saying something ya know? this one is
different...I love this music..this music has done so much for my
life. most people just heard HIP HOP DIED and think Im on the same ol
shit everyone is on cuz the south is running the game right now...but
im not..upon listening you hear that Im saying I HEARD SOMEONE SAY HIP
HOP DIED? thats why its a question mark at the end of the title. This
music is made by us but its changing thiers lives..Im saying is it
dying? am i too blind to see it if it is. and if it is dying maybe WE
are responsible for it. i feel that hip hop if it isnt careful will
maybe go the same route that jazz music went..after a while the people
wont care...they wont support it or come see it... Same shit...different music

So now I wanna know, what do you think about this?
-gingerlynn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email
Oct 05th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 05th 2006
------TRL------- One Day This Week
Oct 05th 2006
RE: Remember the Hair Band of the 80's?
Oct 06th 2006
      I'm thinking something similar
Oct 06th 2006
      RE: Remember the Hair Band of the 80's? // Never Heard-Til Now
Oct 06th 2006
Oct 06th 2006
Oct 09th 2006
Oct 10th 2006
Oct 10th 2006
Oct 10th 2006
my 2 cents
Oct 09th 2006
2 things:
Oct 09th 2006
hip hop's days are already numbered
Oct 09th 2006
hip hop ain't dead...
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 13th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 11th 2006
Oct 12th 2006
Oct 12th 2006
Oct 12th 2006
Oct 18th 2006

deacon
Charter member
3284 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

That's been my concern for a while now, as African-Americans as a whole (I realize there are some exceptions) discarded rock, blues, and jazz, and I am concerned that we will discard hip-hop. I think a lot of it has to do with corporatization and "cooning for the camera". If hip-hop does achieve that state, I will still cop it and continue to support the artists that are striving to make meaningful musis

Sites that I contribute to:

http://www.livefrommemphis.com

http://www.geeksofdoom.com

Street Disciple
Member since Nov 04th 2005
711 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 11:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't think Hip Hop neccessarily died.

This is all just a product of the evolution of the music business where just like Rock, the industry takes the music, and repackages it into a commerical-friendly geared genre. Hip Hop artists are still as hungry as ever, but its hard when everyone and their mamma raps now to find somebody special.Theres really nothing special about a lot of MCs anymore. There have been probably about 5 artists in the last 3-4 years that have gotten me excited about listening to Hip Hop. Everybody's trying to be like somebody, and it never sounds authentic. It doesn't help that artists are always putting out their friends either, whether they suck or not(Bravehearts anyone?).We need to re-vamp the industry with new and fresh artists with real talent--especially R & B.

And I am always looking for a good MC/rapper.

www.myspace.com/jayehlmusic

NunYuh
Member since Apr 11th 2005
55 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

>i feel that hip hop if it isnt careful
>will
>maybe go the same route that jazz music went...

That is an execellent analogy. If Hip Hop remains in its current condition, it will die. We need to support real Hip Hop!

"to my folks that think they livin' sweet/they gone fuck around & push delete"

MONIQUEE
Member since Feb 13th 2006
301 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 07:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "------TRL------- One Day This Week"
In response to Reply # 0

The host (shocked) said there was only one Hip-Hop song on the countdown.R&B and Rock music dominated the countdown. I was channel surfing, and I do not know the hip-hop song. Might even be one deemed not-hip-hop by the old guard.

Whatever the last award show was on MTV,
a rocker-someone accepting an award (for rock) put a shout out for more Rock Music on MTV.

THE MUSIC ONCE YOU OWN IT NEVER LET IT GO (c) EMINEM .

NELLY: COME ON OVER TO (OUR ) PLACE

D'ANGELO: www.myspace.com/dangeloarcher <<< PUSH IT TO THE LEFT

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:39 AM

4. "RE: Remember the Hair Band of the 80's?"
In response to Reply # 3

will rap become the hair bands?

how many times can one rap about how long and heavy your chain hangs/grillz/bitches?

MapleHutt
Member since Mar 27th 2004
618 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 01:27 AM

5. "I'm thinking something similar"
In response to Reply # 4

With hip-hop, to me it seems a lot like what happened to rock in the 80s, all the one hit wonders... but in the end, the music evolved and continued to grow, with a lot of new supporters along the way. At least, I'm hoping hip-hop ends up that way, but only time will tell.

-----------------------------------------
DJ Tang-a-Lang
www.chry.fm
www.fusionradio.ca

MONIQUEE
Member since Feb 13th 2006
301 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 03:46 AM

6. "RE: Remember the Hair Band of the 80's? // Never Heard-Til Now"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Oct-06-06 04:21 AM by MONIQUEE

>
>will rap become the hair bands?
>
>how many times can one rap about how long and heavy your chain
>hangs/grillz/bitches?
>

UNTIL IT RUN IT'S COURSE.

"Chains/grillz/bitches" ain't really new.Just more raw.IMHO, many of them get in the what 3 albums, knowing the next Hot Wonder can take their place.In their world they are playing THE GAME THEORY of givem what they want that may be hidden in the contract, which equals $$$.
Some of the "rappers"
just might be surprised
by how their music was/is accepted.

Back in the day My youngest son/29 begged for Gold necklaces,
Gold Teeth, But never a "B....",
he just followed the Ladies on the streets..
in low cut tops/dresses,
and yes he even liked the
"...got a big olde butt, da butt, da butt,doinn the butt".

I spent many years telling him He was not going to get a Gold Star in one of his front teeth.Not with my money.Still got his whites.Gold teeth were alll thru his family/father side, and outside our families.Never wanted one.

I have heard who many consider to be "Conscience" hip-Hop artist doing bragging on their songs.I often wondered, so how is that going to help anyone ? Finally I found a song without bragging.I was so disappointed with an album, but not this time around with one song.

At the age of 14 my oldest son/38 was sooo into how "Big it's gonna be" (Rap-HipHop). Not once have I heard him say Hip-Hop.He did not lie about how large it would become.He was soooooooo excited.
He has LL CoolJ, Rakim,Krs-One, MC Lyte-albums anyone named in THE LESSON from that era.Right now I am unable to put my hand on the list I requested/he sent me. .
But.
He boxed them up, and turned to R&B, and Gospel. He will not tell me why he no longer purchase the music.But. He will purchase LL CoolJ.
Is it because he is now a husband/Father of 4 and he "Need Love", LOL.
The wife is into Jazz.They know the State of the World.They keep on pushing, and helping where they can.

BUT. Will R&B expand among the teens-now adults.NE-YO, and more ? Followed by the request for more ROCK MUSIC to be played ?

CLOCK WITH NO HANDS/ THE ROOTS.
No bragging.
IMHO The State of "Devil's Pie" plus...be remindful of trying to talk about differences with whomever, and more reminiscing...of whatevers.It hits me hard every January for over 25 years.HIP-HOP I can use.Hmm. Rappers brag/not MC's right ?

BET UNCUT now CUT on the air,
but under another BET on the Internet
without affiliation to the television channel BET.
Adding sattelite radio.Both ,one can See/Hear what ? Even more raw ? Whatever ages can see/and hear whatever ?
I watched VH1's special on video ladies.Later on I saw a ringtone.I went say what ! The typical "SEX SELLS" look.

NELLY: COME ON OVER TO (OUR ) PLACE

D'ANGELO: www.myspace.com/dangeloarcher <<< PUSH IT TO THE LEFT

Dee Brod
Member since Nov 07th 2005
29 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 09:20 AM

7. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel that the reason that Hip hop is "dying" is because there is not much substance anymore. Hip hop his about expression, it is about being heard, but why would we still listen if all they say is "Chains/grills/bills/hoes..." The best hip hop song I have heard in a while is Mos's Katrina Klap, its been out for a bit but I still listen because it actually says something, if we keep that kind of hip hop around it wont die.

There is definitely still true Hip hop out there alive and well, it is just being confused with the MTV Hip hop that has no purpose other than making $$$ for some rich white guys (who prolly own the lables and MTV as well). We, the music audience might be killing Hip hop by not demanding anything other than MTV Hip hop, but we are also the only way to keep it alive.

scrapplequeen
Charter member
385 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

Great post.
Hip Hop isn't dead- Most true hip hop has gone "underground" again. As did jazz- there are plenty of jazz musicians who are supported by the people who love and understand the music.
Popmaster Fabel has an incredible talk about how hip hop needs to be taken back by the communities that created and sustained it. He talks about how hip hop started as 4 elements that were cohesive, and then were slowly stripped away from each other by corporate powers who saw they could market (exploit) it. He talks about how those who love hip hop need to work together to bring it back to a postitive community creative expression.

KNinePt2
Member since Jul 24th 2005
819 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 08:50 AM

12. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 8

I can't really say I agree OR disagree. What exactly does it mean for the community to "reclaim" hip-hop? There are already tons of people out there making what most would consider "real" hip-hop (although I hate that term) -- so it can't just be more people making music.

Is it boycotting non-"real" artists? Is it boycotting non-"real" stations? Boycotting labels owned by non-urban/black business interests?

Pairing rapping again with dancing, DJing, and graff?

"You know those jams in the park?
They produced the spark
Made me feel words
How I read books in the dark"
- GZA, "Do U"

Reviews, stories, & essays from okayplayer, PopMatters, Stylus, Opticon1826, etc.
http://caninemind.blogspot.com

scrapplequeen
Charter member
385 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 09:36 AM

13. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Oct-10-06 09:51 AM by scrapplequeen

>I can't really say I agree OR disagree. What exactly does it
>mean for the community to "reclaim" hip-hop? There are already
>tons of people out there making what most would consider
>"real" hip-hop (although I hate that term) -- so it can't just
>be more people making music.

No, I don't think the point was to just make more music (although, I think it is important to support the artists who are making quality music). The point that Fabel was making was to make the 4 elements cohesive again, and to bring the culture back to more of a grassroots community level. For example, Rock Steady Crew has their annual Anniversary in NYC. Or the B-Boy BBQ in Philly. Neither of these examples are corporate run- they are put on by people in the community to benefit the community. They include dancers, graff artists, MC's and DJ's. They are run in public parks. I think it's important to support these types of events.

If mainstream Hip Hop will be run on the corporate level, then I think we need a little more balance on the community level. Hip Hop is a viable, truly American expression (like jazz)- those of us in the community should be a bit more responsible for keeping it from just becoming a disposable, pop culture.

I don't think that *all* of the corporate sponored stuff is terrible, but when the money to put together this type of stuff (including the music) is coming out of some big shot's pocket, usually the original creative idea is watered down, or lost all together.

>Is it boycotting non-"real" artists? Is it boycotting
>non-"real" stations? Boycotting labels owned by
>non-urban/black business interests?

I think it just comes down to being responsible with your money. My personal philosophy is to put my hard-earned money toward artists that I think are worth it. Hell, Prince is mainstream, but I sure as hell will shell out the money for his music, because I think it's quality. On the other hand, there is PLENTY of bad music that I won't buy, mainstream or "underground".

>
>Pairing rapping again with dancing, DJing, and graff?

I'd personally love to see more of that! More b-boys and b-girls in videos that aren't replaced by strippers!
Oh yeah, this article is a synopsis of what I'm trying to get at:
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article364028.ece

KNinePt2
Member since Jul 24th 2005
819 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 05:38 PM

14. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 13

Thanks for the link to the article. I feel what you're saying.

"You know those jams in the park?
They produced the spark
Made me feel words
How I read books in the dark"
- GZA, "Do U"

Reviews, stories, & essays from okayplayer, PopMatters, Stylus, Opticon1826, etc.
http://caninemind.blogspot.com

mikebrowntheremix
Member since Sep 26th 2006
2245 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 04:03 PM

9. "my 2 cents"
In response to Reply # 0

we all complain but we don't do anything about it.

i've bought Game Theory and spent a C-note on a ticket for the RCMH show. i do tell a friend about music i think is great. i do get songs from a friend and purchase an album for the CD booklet if it's worthy.

i wasn't always like this. i used to complain and complain. i'd say "we need real hip-hop" but wouldn't look through fat beats for something refreshing to quench my thirst for the REAL.

if we stopped complaining and focused on ways to support and promote the REAL, maybe Hip Hop can get that energy again.

For instance, I know a LOT of people had the food and liqour advance and boasted of Lupe's genius. They are probably the same people who saved there 10 bucks and downloaded the newers songs on file share. They are the same people who argue online about how dope he is, but won't give their 10 bucks to the cause.

Hip-Hop just like Politics: we all have an opinion and no one at the polls.

connectpoliticditto
Member since Aug 29th 2006
2739 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 04:31 PM

10. "2 things:"
In response to Reply # 0

1) skillz needs to release that song STAT, cause it's just gonna look weird coming out after nas album (called hip hop is dead)

2) are we gonna find out whose name was censored?

bigboy
Member since Oct 21st 2004
11930 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 06:31 PM

11. "hip hop's days are already numbered"
In response to Reply # 0

its like fashion, it comes and goes. hip hop is on a rise right now. you know that the higher the rise, the higher the fall. what happened to balance, levelness. shit gets old fast and nobody respects the past hiphop. niggas gotta make 'modern' hip hop in order to get some spins

billa
Charter member
486 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 01:27 PM

15. "hip hop ain't dead..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's just coming full circle....

it had it's time to shine in what some may consider to be it's purest form....

now it's somewhere that we don't want it no more....

this current incarnation will go..hip hop will rise from the ashes and those who are still hip hop ( which we all know is more than music alone...) will have our way....

i'm positive about this current state of music...let's take it back to the days of it being our thing...(our=cultural reference )

1yerself

ps. sorry if i am merely concuring with some other poster...i'am waxing poetic without reading those posts that came before....

pss. support john legend....

theblacklightDC
Member since Aug 12th 2005
26 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 04:16 PM

16. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

The fact that we even suggest the notion that Jazz has died, tells me how f'ed up our perception of music has become. Music can't die. I thought that was common knowledge. It seems as though our collective view of hip-hop has been stripped of its periphery. All we see now is soundscan reports, radio one spins, and BET/MTV/VH1 plays. As if success through these media, and these media alone, decide what is good music, what is hip-hop, and what is not. I think this is our mistake. And it hurts that someone I respect as much as Skillz would even buy into this "Hip-hop is dead" bullshit. Skillz has represented pure hip-hop in its complete non-commercial essence since he came out. I can run up in mad corporate sponsored concerts and ask 'Who is Mad Skillz?' and no one will know of whom I speak. Ask any emcee worth his mic, though? Or any producer that's been in the game? I bet they know him. THAT's hip-hop. And that's all it has to be. Skillz never has to sell another record. His legacy is solidified. But even HE has been brought to question hip-hop, thus questioning himself (and me! f-you for that, too, god! I know you know better. Hopefully, you're just trying to sell a few extra joints my dude!) Point is, the fact that we have rap stars now, has nothing to do with hip-hip or music. Rap stars are products of marketing schemes. Puffy can make Young Joc a "star". That's what he does. But as we all witnessed at the award show, he can never teach Joc to emcee. All Young Joc will ever be is a rap star. Don;t get it twisted! It is mad honorable and impressive to come from nothing and end up a millionaire and be all on TV and shit. Just don't confuse any of that shit with hip-hop. Remember this: Under no circumstances has anyone ever heard the best in pure hip-hop through a CD or video. Pure hip-hop is a live, real-time activity. A recording of this activity is just that, a recording. Recordings are made for those who either enjoy marveling at something they cannot do, or to learn it. Also remember that our people have NEVER supported the music industry, and that the deal many artists signed were absolutely crafted by wicked people who didn't care about the artists, the culture itself, or the people who follow. So if there are only 100 ill rappers and all 100 sign with Suge Knight and Puffy (or Jimmy or Lyor or Clive), the outcome is GOING TO BE FUCKED UP! And this is basically what happened. Only the 100 emcess snowballed into 100000 rappers and ALL of them ni&&as signed! And those who didn't sign would really really like to. Of course, thats more of a socio-economic issue, too, but you feel me.

Hip-hop (or the most recent manifestation of African culture--as I like to call it--as jazz, and rock-n-roll both were before hip-hop) can never actually die. The hype and wonder that surrounds people who live the culture can subdue, though. I look at it as a situation where the novelty is simply wearing off. I liken it to the dude who used to be the first one on my block with the latest Jordan's every time Jordan's came out. He was the shit through like the VII's! But by the time the XII's came out, everyone was rocking new Jordan's the very day they came out. In return, that dude wasn't the shit no more. It doesn't mean Nike and Jordan Brand began to make an inferior shoe. It only means that over time things we become too familiar with may depreciate. Or the perception is that they depreciate. I mean, ATCQ never has to make another record but they still can sellout venues all over the world. Midnight Marauders came out in 1993, god! I'd bet everything I own (which amounts to about $638.00) that no one will be paying to see Dem Franchise Boyz perform ANYTHING in 2018, 13 years after their magnum opus, "oh, i think they like me" (or whatever that bullshit is, technically named).

But nah, hip-hop ain't dead. It ain't dying, either. As a matter of fact, hip-hop ain't even sick. It's just backed up, a little with all the garbage we've been feeding it. Yeah thats it! Hip-hop needs to take a shit!

scrapplequeen
Charter member
385 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 08:20 PM

18. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 16

Well put. I would also like to add on that I think it is crucial for the history of the culture to be made known to the youngsters. I'm waiting for the day that the book "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" becomes utilized in schools. I'm hoping there comes a day that the names Kool Herc and Bambaataa are as popular and well known as 50 Cent. I sure as hell won't be holding my breath that major networks will be providing that history and knowledge of hip hop culture.

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Oct-13-06 03:50 AM

25. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 18

>Well put. I would also like to add on that I think it is
>crucial for the history of the culture to be made known to the
>youngsters. I'm waiting for the day that the book "Can't Stop,
>Won't Stop" becomes utilized in schools. I'm hoping there
>comes a day that the names Kool Herc and Bambaataa are as
>popular and well known as 50 Cent. I sure as hell won't be
>holding my breath that major networks will be providing that
>history and knowledge of hip hop culture.

i hope that day will come when the youngster will become familiarize with kool herc and bambaataa, but half the time some of the younger generation are slow forgetting the essence of music.

JayBilal
Member since Sep 14th 2006
595 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 07:12 PM

17. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

Hip-hop won't die because there are socio-economic issues that support it. The people that listen to what most OKPs would deem questionable rap will still crave a music made by black people the highly glamourize some of life's sins (sex, drugs, crime). Just like there will always be some sort of bump and grind R&B there will always be the pop that coochie, make it twirk, look at my grillz, this is how I rob, I'm a real gangsta music. As Mos Def said don't ask me how is hip-hop doing ask yourself "What am I doing? Where am I going?"

There is a serious need for diversity in the hip-hop that we hear on the radio and see on BET & MTV. But two things are working in the favor of those of us who love music that has a deep message that celebrates true artistry. For one that music is timeless. ATCQ will attract crowds for years, same for Mos Def, Common, and Talib. Their fans are loyal because they are more married to the music than those of go out and cop Trick Daddy and so on.

Also fans and artists will age and at some point you're going to realise that listening to lean with it, roc with it at 35-45 isn't as cool as it was when you were 14-25. If you trully love the sound and what hip-hop is you will be attracted to the music of KRS-One or Jurassic 5 because there messages last over time. That just means that us OKPs and all the postive artists may lose all of the sprints but eventually win the marathon.

No sig necessary

The-Hidden-Element
Member since Oct 05th 2006
1 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 10:42 PM

19. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

comin' from tha south and being a true hip hop lover as well as artist (yeah we down here 2!!) i know that a lot of that "hip hop iz dead " talk only started when the south started gettin a lil' shine, 2 those i say eff u!!! but 2 those that recognize that shit happens in cycles, we are in the 80's all over again! if u notice conciousness seems to come around every other decade, ecspecially when it comes 2 muzik; the 70's everybody wuz conscious, the 80's everybody wuz scared to say or do certain things( like interracial dating) then the 90's came and conciousness came back around but this time hip hop wuz leading the way, but after pac and biggie died we kind of fell into a depression as a movement, and when u are at ur weakest thats when other influences can get the best of u,thats whutz happenin' now in the 2000's everybody got so caught up behind tryin' to be on 106& park or get the most plays on the radio( where hip hop wuz really never accepted in the 1st place!!) they forgot about sayin' somethin' as well as making good muzik! i remember a song called"video killed the radio star" and that title wuz so real 2 me!! so whut im' sayin' iz dont keep puttin that phrase ( hip hop iz dead) out in tha universe cuz one day u might wake up and it'll be TRUE, then whut u gonna do( starve?),100!!! oh, an if u lookin 4 that "ish" hit us up (myspace.com/therealhiddenelement

100!!!

Street Disciple
Member since Nov 04th 2005
711 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 11:34 PM

21. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Oct-11-06 11:36 PM by Street Disciple

whoops reposted accidentaly.

www.myspace.com/jayehlmusic

theblacklightDC
Member since Aug 12th 2005
26 posts
Thu Oct-12-06 10:07 AM

24. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 19

true!

TheloniusClones
Member since Oct 12th 2006
1 posts
Thu Oct-12-06 04:54 AM

22. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah skillz delivers a true message... Hip Hop Will not die... even though it seems that it might. Rightous hip hop lovers think that the game is going to hell in a hand basket because everything is so commercialized. We need to get over ourselves, since the beginning there has always been two sides, Real Soul Music: The Message and Lollipop Bull: Rappers Delight... and since then the game's been fine ... "Nohting's changed, same characters in the book with different names"

Bless

-P-

Jaydee
Member since Apr 06th 2003
161 posts
Thu Oct-12-06 07:14 AM

23. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

Hip Hop is dead! Everyone had a part in it...turn on the tv what do you see chicken noodle soup. wtf? Fat Joe, Dip Set, Lil Wayne, and Jermain Dupri are the main culprits. Who cares what you got.... really we all know you guys are rich. Where's the substance in your music how much of that do you have? After Common's album drops I'm done with hip hop. Jim Jones is the opposite of Hip Hop. I just think now is time where rap and hip hop need to seperated along with dirty south music. It's giving hip hop a bad name. LL, Puffy, Nelly, Camron, Jim Jones, Bow Wow, Missy, Paul Wall, and Jermain Dupri need to be classified as rap artists. Wu vs Tribe in 93 is what killed hip hop.

J.E.Davis

scrapplequeen
Charter member
385 posts
Wed Oct-18-06 11:30 AM

26. "RE: Skillz speaks on Hip Hop Died? in personal email"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting perspective that is related to the post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/13/AR2006101301426.html

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #40786 Previous topic | Next topic