Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #39951

Subject: "New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics" Previous topic | Next topic
dacruz
Member since Apr 09th 2006
122 posts
Tue Dec-05-06 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics"

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=22053298&blogID=201761336&MyToken=2fa83460-4806-4b4c-abf4-048e727c02e7

So I know I know, I said Liberation will be out in November. I like to be a man of my word and believe me, I really tried! There are just politics with putting out a free album that I wasn't ready for. Everyone has to be on the same page, and I got a lot of business on my plate right now. The album is done, and it will be out shortly, trust. The More or Less video will be available on the internet soon as well. I did however, just barely, get the Blacksmith the Movement mixtape out in time for the holidays! We sold it at the shows in Denver and Park City Utah, so thank you to everyone who purchased one, or two. You can go to Okayplayer.com or Spitkicker.com for now to get one, and soon they will be everywhere. It is featuring Hell Raza, Mf Doom, Fonsworth Bentley, John Legend, Planet Asia and of course my Blacksmith soldiers, Jean Grae and Strong Arm Steady. Happy belated B-day to Jean, who I heard had a kick ass party. For a supposed underground rapper, Jean can out party the best of them, trust! I was busy on the road. First I was in Japan, then I was on the west coast. I haven't been in NY in a month, it's a wonder I got any music done at all! I ran into my man Brooklyn Yaz in Japan, who I went to Cheshire with. He told me he was banned from the U.S.A. for arguing with a stewardess a month after 9/11/01. She had him arrested and he was put on the blacklist. I wondered where he was...
The tour was great! I was able to help organize community events in Seattle, Oakland and L.A. around the issue of Katrina evacuees having the right to return home. The people who remain in New Orleans are heroes, because they have to rebuilod that city with spirit. The money allocated to rebuild is being hijacked by the Governor Kathleen Blanco and the Louisiana Recovery Authority. The people from these nieghborhoods should get the money and contracts to rebuild, not interlopers. This is very similiar to what Dick Cheney is doing with Halliburton in Iraq. They work to destroy something, and then pay themselves to clean it up. If you think the situation in the gulf was purely a natural disaster, think again. The hurricane came from God. The neglect that left thousands dead came from man. This behavior from our government reminds me of what Barbara Bush said a week after Katrina while visiting the superdome. She said a lot of those people were underpriviledged anyway, so living in the superdome was working out just fine for them. Anyway, there are people who rented, even owned homes that will never be compensated, and will be forced not to return by the direction of the development. New Orleans is in danger of becoming the Las Vegas of the south, which is great for corporate interest, but horrible for the people who make up the fabric of that city. This situation is like gentifrication on steroids.
Buckshot from Black Moon joined me on the west coast, so on stage it was a real Brooklyn affair. It was great to see him rip thru classics like Shit Iz Real, Crooklyn Dodgers and Buck Em Down, along with Who Got the Props. I'm from Brooklyn and I came of age in the early 90's, so Buck's music is part of my cultural DNA. The industry may be dying, but my audience is always at the shows whether I got a record out or not...I love y'all for that. The Blacksmith movement is growing, and y'all are helping me set it up for 07. Also, I encourage y'all to check out Papoose's 50 shots about the Sean Bell shooting in NY. And big ups to Nicole Paultre, his fiance. Shawty did her thing on Larry King Live! He thought because she was young and black, she would be breaking down crying, talking crazy, but she was collected poised and stuck to the issue..JUSTICE. Black people live with the fear of being killed by cops, it is a sad reality. Maybe for someone else, it seems impossible, unthinkable, but for us it happens as naturally, as well dying naturally. Also if you are spiritually in tune, you accept that the spirit is in a better place. But a spiritually in tune, intelligent young woman is not what Larry King expected, these shows need sensationalism. He was looking for soundbites, she was looking for justice. She represented her family, and all of us very well..She is strong, and we are proud of her. Til next time, Talib Kweli, BKMC, Blacksmith

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics
Dec 05th 2006
well that basically said nothing about liberation
Dec 06th 2006
RE: well that basically said nothing about liberation
Dec 06th 2006
sure it did
Dec 06th 2006
      DAMN STRAIGHT
Dec 07th 2006
      that aint nothin new tho
Dec 07th 2006
           RE: that aint nothin new tho
Dec 07th 2006
           what more do u want
Dec 07th 2006
Dec 17th 2006
Dec 18th 2006

Super_Kweli
Member since Sep 29th 2006
148 posts
Tue Dec-05-06 07:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics"
In response to Reply # 0

Talib and Questlove give some of the best interviews and blogs out there, I gotta cop that Blacksmith Movement ASAP.

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 01:27 PM

2. "well that basically said nothing about liberation"
In response to Reply # 0

we all know hes tryin, but there was nothing in that blog that was informative about liberation

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

walder
Member since Apr 06th 2006
227 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 02:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: well that basically said nothing about liberation"
In response to Reply # 2

it looks to me like he said all he could.

shit got in the way, its done and ready, and should be out soon.

whats the point of putting up a phony release date.

that just spawns another 'why isnt liberation out yet?' post.

that was a great blog and as much as i want to hear liberation, im glad he dedicated the majority of it to letting us know what hes up too and the issues hes dealing with.

chaseman
Member since Oct 19th 2006
1628 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 06:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "sure it did"
In response to Reply # 2

once again he has said it is going to be FREE. Im broke bitch

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 05:48 AM

5. "DAMN STRAIGHT"
In response to Reply # 4

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 06:54 AM

6. "that aint nothin new tho"
In response to Reply # 4

thats all im saying

Im more hyped for this album than eardrum

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

walder
Member since Apr 06th 2006
227 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 09:42 AM

7. "RE: that aint nothin new tho"
In response to Reply # 6

>thats all im saying
>
>Im more hyped for this album than eardrum

i know what u mean man. i think lib and kwa will mesh really nice. but im trying not to get too hype about it just in case.

but funny money is hopefully a sign of the quality.

i love that track.

chaseman
Member since Oct 19th 2006
1628 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 11:40 AM

8. "what more do u want"
In response to Reply # 6

the only thing left is for it to come out and he is telling us why it aint out yet.

Tom
Charter member
652 posts
Sun Dec-17-06 03:31 PM

9. "RE: New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics"
In response to Reply # 0

can't wait for this...

PhilWithers
Member since Jul 09th 2006
3702 posts
Mon Dec-18-06 01:10 AM

10. "RE: New Myspace Blog by Kweli: Liberation Politics"
In response to Reply # 9

hell yeah man, this is like a dream to me.. Madlib and Kweli dammmmmmnnnn son

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #39951 Previous topic | Next topic