Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #39264

Subject: "Mos Def" Previous topic | Next topic
Scottie Pippen Needs Mic
Member since Nov 11th 2006
44 posts
Fri Dec-29-06 01:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mos Def"

Hey

Does everyone think that it's cool that Mos Def made an album to finish off his current record deal? I have seen other posts that seem to think that it's acceptable that Mos put out True Magic just to make due. I am not being critical because if he truly had an awful situation then he simply follows in the tradition of many other artists who have finished albums before moving onto better things. I guess I would just like to feel like he put in his best effort with every release though. What's the deal?

Do Nothing Until You Hear From Me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Mos Def
Dec 29th 2006
Dec 29th 2006
Dec 29th 2006
Dec 29th 2006
Dec 30th 2006
      that shit costs money
Dec 30th 2006
Dec 30th 2006
Dec 30th 2006
"credits at mosdefmusic.com"...actually, NO
Dec 30th 2006
      this album won't sale at all....
Dec 30th 2006

Envy
Member since Dec 29th 2006
2629 posts
Fri Dec-29-06 03:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 0

I got Mos Def's "True Magic" and ill tell u right now that it ain't nothin to jump up and down about. I never heard of this rumor, but it would explain a lot to me.

This album does not compare at all to his work in "Black On Both Sides" and "Black Star." This album, just like "The New Danger," feels like another mixtape. I know that Mos Def can do way better.

mrbozack
Charter member
378 posts
Fri Dec-29-06 04:00 AM

2. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 1

I felt the same way on the first listen, but listens 2 and 3 changed my mind. It's a good thing he's an artist I respect or else I would have canceled it after one go-round.

Envy
Member since Dec 29th 2006
2629 posts
Fri Dec-29-06 04:05 AM

3. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 2

I feel the same way that's why i gave it a few more rounds.

chaseman
Member since Oct 19th 2006
1628 posts
Fri Dec-29-06 08:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 0

its not a great album and he did just want to release it and be done with geffen but i dont think he meant to let down his fans. he put energy into all those songs. and sun moon stars is my shit.

sandmann
Member since Mar 11th 2005
200 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 03:30 AM

5. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 4

It doesn't sound mixed and mastered to me.... shit.. maybe it's just me.....

I'm feelin most of the joints though.... It just doesnt sound like a complete project...

www.djsandman.com

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 04:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "that shit costs money"
In response to Reply # 5

i mean granted music aint where mos's cash is commin from, but he made this shit cost as little as possible

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

chaseman
Member since Oct 19th 2006
1628 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 02:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 5

i would say it sounds as though it is mixed better than the new danger. the quality of the actual cd is way better than the leak that everyone has been talking shit on.
and for everybody we are all going to have different opinions of this cd, but i dont think mos is being lazy or cheating us. there is raw emotion in all those songs. some songs are real simple but also real affirmative ("this song aint got but two lyrics . . . ") but songs like thug is a drug and u r the one are almost brooding and deceptively complex. dont write this guy off yet. please.

dosch
Member since Sep 22nd 2006
36 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 09:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 0

the first half of the album is a bit disappointing, but the 2nd half with "sun, moon & stars," "fake nonanza" and "lifetime" is dope.

but the no-booklet thing is pretty bad. I mean, a good booklet is actually a reason why I still buy albums instead of getting them from the net. The credits are supposed 2 be on that ugly mosdefmusic.com page, but didn't find them. Any link?

estipi
Member since Oct 24th 2005
2009 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 11:47 AM

8. ""credits at mosdefmusic.com"...actually, NO"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, i couldn't find them on that site, but the release date is listed as 1/9 so maybe they'll be up then...who knows

this is a great album, imo...not a track on here that i don't like

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable-MLK

da_illest_one
Member since Apr 09th 2005
1761 posts
Sat Dec-30-06 04:10 PM

10. "this album won't sale at all...."
In response to Reply # 8

and its a shame because hip-hop is dead and there is no one willing to resurrect it....

On The Lookout 4:
some new music. WTF is going on this year?

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #39264 Previous topic | Next topic