Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #37237

Subject: "props to common. public apology for duke comments" Previous topic | Next topic
lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 08:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"props to common. public apology for duke comments"

http://myhot105.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104655&article=2037339

Common Apologizes for Voicing Views on Duke Rape Case

The MC slammed the three lacrosse team members who were accused of raping an exotic dancer.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Click here to watch Common's video "Testify"

Rap star Common has apologized for publicly commenting on a rape case involving the Duke University lacrosse team before knowing the facts of the case.

The hip-hop star voiced his views about the three lacrosse team members accused of raping an exotic dancer during a performance at Emory University in Atlanta last year.

Common slammed the athletes during the gig when he rapped, "You know I never get lost, yo f**k them damn n**gers from Duke lacrosse."

The artist will be appearing at the Duke's last day of classes concert Wednesday night in North Carolina and hopes his apology will prompt the students there to forgive him.

Common says, "I want to say first of all that I apologize for accusing people wrong that didn't do it.

"I just felt like, 'That's my sister', so I felt emotional about it, and I guess I did what a lot of people do to other people, to convict them or consider them guilty before we even know the truth."

"You know, I left a ticket for Bill Buckner for this, but he couldn't bend over to pick it up. How 'bout it?"
-Pete Rose at Wrestlemania 14 in Boston.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thats bullshit
Apr 25th 2007
he didn't "have" to do anything tho. but why shouldn't he?
Apr 25th 2007
      considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance
Apr 25th 2007
           the students bashed him. if the university wanted to cancel
Apr 25th 2007
           with all due respect, you're head/heart is in the wrong place here
Apr 25th 2007
           this part here....
Apr 26th 2007
                oh ok
Apr 26th 2007
                     this part is important. what are u really saying about a person when
Apr 26th 2007
           RE: considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance
Apr 26th 2007
                RE: considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance
Apr 26th 2007
                they really were though.
Apr 26th 2007
                     HV....no offense, this is making no sense
Apr 26th 2007
He rocked
Apr 25th 2007
i told him to
Apr 26th 2007
i just did a search...i think it's gone (c) n'sync
Apr 26th 2007
      didn't hear about this
Apr 26th 2007
problem is he keeps putting his foot in his mouth..
Apr 26th 2007
what are you..his publicist?
Apr 26th 2007
      RE: what are you..his publicist?
Apr 26th 2007
      RE: what are you..his publicist?
Apr 26th 2007
      wha...???
Apr 26th 2007
           oh man
Apr 27th 2007
Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?
Apr 26th 2007
RE: Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?
Apr 26th 2007
RE: Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?
Apr 27th 2007
truss me... i have no sympathy for them dudes.
Apr 26th 2007
Co-sign
Apr 26th 2007
      ^^^ignorance.....i'm sorry this is just stupid
Apr 26th 2007
           let me break it down for you homie
Apr 26th 2007
                ok my bad. i thougth u were talking about if u were
Apr 27th 2007
Man they been talkin about this on a local sports radio show
Apr 26th 2007
whoa a sec here...
Apr 26th 2007
      RE: Stop overanalyzing this...Com is NOT IMus
Apr 26th 2007
      you cant compare this to Imus....
Apr 26th 2007
      jesus christ.... imus???
Apr 27th 2007
           would you rather be called
Apr 27th 2007
                that is an entirely different issue fam.
Apr 27th 2007
                     i didn't bring up Imus, i'm merely responding since it was brought up.
Apr 27th 2007
                          oh okay.
Apr 27th 2007
not guilty does not mean innocent
Apr 27th 2007
innocent until proven guilty. not proven guilty? assume innocence
Apr 27th 2007

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 08:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "thats bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

he should not have to apologize for saying what he said at that time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 08:34 PM

2. "he didn't "have" to do anything tho. but why shouldn't he?"
In response to Reply # 1

the last lines of the story explain what he did wrong. whether they were guilty or not

"You know, I left a ticket for Bill Buckner for this, but he couldn't bend over to pick it up. How 'bout it?"

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 10:23 PM

4. "considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance"
In response to Reply # 2

and were publically bashing him...... then yeah, if he wanted to perform and get paid, they basically forced him to if you read between the lines.

and that clip of the emory show is on youtube. we discussed this before. it was something about 80% of the country was thinking at the time and to look back NOW and judge him is not fair to point blame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 10:53 PM

5. "the students bashed him. if the university wanted to cancel"
In response to Reply # 4

him. he would have been canceled. and quite honestly he DID judge those guys as guilty too soon. (do we agree on that?) whetehr they did it or not. and THAT itself was wrong. i mean imagine if he got accused of rape and everybody said "fuck common he's a rapist".

later on common's charges were droped, i'd think they owe HIM an apology too

>and were publically bashing him...... then yeah, if he
>wanted to perform and get paid, they basically forced him to
>if you read between the lines.

we disagree. i've seen him play smaller crowds....i don'tthink this one show is powerful enough to make him do something he didn't wanna do

>thinking at the time and to look back NOW and judge him is not
>fair to point blame.

who's judgeing him? but it's not about judging common anyway. he's apologizing because HE pre judged them. u're looking like they are dumping on him. he dumped on the guys, right?

i'm glad he apoligized. he made a mistake. do y'all want him to george w (ahhhh) bush it?

salt n pepa refernece

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 10:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "with all due respect, you're head/heart is in the wrong place here"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Apr-25-07 11:00 PM by Jon

a man falsely convicted a bunch of kids, publicly, on stage while getting people to rock out to his "fuck them"

meanwhile tons of other people were also convicting those kids and haven't felt the need to apologize...that's fine (its not, but for the sake of argument its "fine")

but there's nothing and nobody to be mad at/about when that one guy (Common) is actually a big enough person to *gasp* apologize for saying something bad about someone. by the way, calling someone a rapist is far worse than calling someone a nappy headed ho.

i have MAD respect for Com for having the TRUE righteousness in his spirit to come out, publicly point out a wrong of his, and offer sincere apologies ...ALL ON HIS OWN INITIATIVE. he looked inward and said "that's messed up, i need to fix this"

to me that shows true integrity, unlike these psuedo-self-righteous heads who act like paper-prophets who only enjoy the calling-out-others part of the game.

that kind of Common integrity in a human is so rare these days. i wish Nancy Grace would take some lessons from Com. woman is always convicting people in her heart, like so many people i know do as well.

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 05:49 AM

8. "this part here...."
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Apr-26-07 06:17 AM by HighVoltage

>i have MAD respect for Com for having the TRUE righteousness
>in his spirit to come out, publicly point out a wrong of his,
>and offer sincere apologies ...ALL ON HIS OWN INITIATIVE. he
>looked inward and said "that's messed up, i need to fix this"
>
>to me that shows true integrity, unlike these
>psuedo-self-righteous heads who act like paper-prophets who
>only enjoy the calling-out-others part of the game.
>
>that kind of Common integrity in a human is so rare these
>days. i wish Nancy Grace would take some lessons from Com.
>woman is always convicting people in her heart, like so many
>people i know do as well.

i'm saying that i believe it wasn't on his own initiative. people were protesting his concert on the campus. that is why he apologized. if the campus never brought this up to begin with and common apologized, then that would be out of his own judgment, but given everything that lead up to this, i don't see how you can say it was on his own initiative.

edit: i'm not arguing that an apology wasn't in order. he made a comment that was now proven wrong... but given the ignorance of their students (if you remember the old post with the link to their messageboard with the racist/nonsensical comments about him) and the timing of the apology, it just doesn't come across as sincere to me and was simply done as a PR tactic to make his concert go more smoothly. So with that in mind, from my view anyway, i wouldn't be saying 'props to common' or how much i respect him for this... it is what it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "oh ok"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Apr-26-07 07:48 AM by Jon

i got you then. i mean that makes SOME sense (from a skeptics pov), but i'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt (from a human pov).

so i guess it wasn't as much on his own init as i thought, but my whole thing is, when someone apologizes, i try to give them that...and i really think he's sincere. i can't prove it to anyone, but i just think he is.

Com's still the man

PS: i don't think its good for people's apologies to be rendered meaningless if the heat is on them...that would leave a person in that situation (who's actually sorry) unable to express contrition.

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 08:28 AM

11. "this part is important. what are u really saying about a person when"
In response to Reply # 9

u cheapen their apology? comm's a pushover? a liar? or he's above an apology (unless it's gonna help his pockets)
>
>PS: i don't think its good for people's apologies to be
>rendered meaningless if the heat is on them...that would leave
>a person in that situation (who's actually sorry) unable to
>express contrition.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 05:18 PM

17. "RE: considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance"
In response to Reply # 4

there's no way 80% of people were thinking that at the time.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

ClayVTrainum
Member since Jul 16th 2006
43 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 06:13 PM

21. "RE: considering that the university wanted to cancel his performance"
In response to Reply # 17

Umm...The UNIVERSITY was thinking the same thing...They punished dudes before the case.

======================
Don't Be A Clayahater.
======================

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:14 PM

22. "they really were though."
In response to Reply # 17

and thats exactly why the accused students were speaking out publicly against the prosecutor in the case (im blanking on his name). but he made the whole country believe they were guilty before we had all the facts. there was a whole special on tv not too long ago asking the kids if they felt the prosecutor deserved punishment for his treatment of the case. so for that question to even be asked, the prosecutor obviously swayed a VERY large majority of the population into a belief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:52 PM

26. "HV....no offense, this is making no sense"
In response to Reply # 22

>and thats exactly why the accused students were speaking out
>publicly against the prosecutor in the case (im blanking on
>his name). but he made the whole country believe they were
>guilty before we had all the facts.

whiel the defense was releasing "evidence" , the prosecution said nothing

the whole country didn't believe anything. if anything the majority of people believed the lacross players

>so for that question to even be asked, the prosecutor
>obviously swayed a VERY large majority of the population into
>a belief.

no that question doesn't OBVIOUSLY prove anything. were u watching the same tv set and reading the same papers i was? i can count on my hand one the number of things the prosecution said/presented that was believable. did he even SAY anything? i remember him not because....i was telling people "prosecutions try trial int he courtroom, not in the media" the defense was showing how these guys were innocent every 2 weeks. semen that wasn't theirs, atm records and camera records, phone records.

this chick got believe by black folk...cause , like common said, cause she was black.

Troubled Spirits
Member since Nov 05th 2003
1934 posts
Wed Apr-25-07 09:11 PM

3. "He rocked"
In response to Reply # 0

According to my friend, a senior at Duke, he rocked it. Everyone loved it (no booing), and Jason Mraz, the headliner, sucks (he's still on)....

http://adrianruhi.wordpress.com/

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 04:48 AM

7. "i told him to"
In response to Reply # 0

read that last post

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 08:06 AM

10. "i just did a search...i think it's gone (c) n'sync"
In response to Reply # 7

do the right thing
Member since Jul 28th 2003
53 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 01:33 PM

12. "didn't hear about this"
In response to Reply # 10

didn't hear about this & I work in durham

chat room geeks critique my b-boy physique...who the **** made you hip-hop police - Common

mellow
Charter member
1905 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 01:56 PM

13. "problem is he keeps putting his foot in his mouth.."
In response to Reply # 0

People put artists up in these pedestals b/c they created some good lyrics and 'seem' like something they could relate to.

What he said was pretty stupid and makes him look foolish.

How can you rip into other people/situations but then you go ahead and do the same thing??

whatever

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 02:03 PM

14. "what are you..his publicist?"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu Apr-26-07 02:39 PM by Airbreed

>People put artists up in these pedestals b/c they created
>some good lyrics and 'seem' like something they could relate
>to.

so what.

>
>What he said was pretty stupid

maybe so. ...but it was understandable considering the atmosphere at the time.

>and makes him look foolish.

LMAO! .....according to what authority???

>
>How can you rip into other people/situations but then you go
>ahead and do the same thing??

stop being judgemental. he apologized. now let it go.

>
>whatever

exactly.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 03:22 PM

15. "RE: what are you..his publicist?"
In response to Reply # 14

>>What he said was pretty stupid
>
>maybe so. ...but it was understandable considering the
>atmosphere at the time.

no it wasn't. i'm pretty sure Com has enough brain power to think for himself and come to his own conclusions. he would agree. which is why he recognized he was terribly wrong and apologized.

>>How can you rip into other people/situations but then you go
>>ahead and do the same thing??
>
>stop being judgemental. he apologized. now let it go.

i totally agree. i'm tired of this new atmosphere of "if someone fucks up, they best not apologize, cuz it doesn't mean shit, they're a static single-frame entity"

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 05:49 PM

19. "RE: what are you..his publicist?"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Apr-26-07 05:53 PM by Airbreed

>
>>>What he said was pretty stupid
>>
>>maybe so. ...but it was understandable considering the
>>atmosphere at the time.
>
>no it wasn't.

of course it was. whether it was the right or wrong thing to do....it was only human and natural for any person of color to react within an atmosphere that they themselves felt was racially charged against the woman's favor.

i'm pretty sure Com has enough brain power to
>think for himself and come to his own conclusions. he would
>agree. which is why he recognized he was terribly wrong and
>apologized.

well... according to ?, he told common to do so. therefore, was his apology a matter of personal choice? ...or political correctness?

whatever the case, in the end, i think common did what he felt was the right thing to do. like i said earlier, cats need to stop vilifying him and just let it go.

mellow
Charter member
1905 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 09:50 PM

27. "wha...???"
In response to Reply # 14

I'm no rookie poster here. I pick and choose my spots and am cool about alot of stuff.

But in light of all the stupid shit being said by celebrities, radio hosts, athletes, artists.. if your gonna crucify everybody on anything said, then you've got to be fair all around.

I'm a huge fan of com's music, but he's said some of the top of his head things in the past that wasn't so cool.

Remember, he is in a public light, regardless of how that makes him feel, he's gonna get shitted on anything.

You or me saying fuck them dudes for what they did is a matter of opinion for regular folk.

Him on the other hand to say shit at a show with 100's attending and not thinking twice... foolish

Good that he 'apologized', but that's not the issue..

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 10:18 AM

34. "oh man"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Apr-27-07 10:21 AM by Airbreed

>I'm no rookie poster here. I pick and choose my spots and am
>cool about alot of stuff.
>
>But in light of all the stupid shit being said by celebrities,
>radio hosts, athletes, artists.. if your gonna crucify
>everybody on anything said, then you've got to be fair all
>around.

it sounds like you need to stop living your life around what a rapper or singer or any celebrity says. its not that serious.

>
>I'm a huge fan of com's music, but he's said some of the top
>of his head things in the past that wasn't so cool.

what has he said that wasn't "cool"? ...and how does what he says impact your life so negatively for you to get bent out of shape like this?

>
>Remember, he is in a public light, regardless of how that
>makes him feel, he's gonna get shitted on anything.

if the rest of the logical world can count on people like you to continue the shittin'...sure.

>
>You or me saying fuck them dudes for what they did is a matter
>of opinion for regular folk.

regular folk like who? people like yourself? if that's the case, you are of the minority my friend. and it's a poor opinion that should be 're-thought' before expounding as gospel.

>
>Him on the other hand to say shit at a show with 100's
>attending and not thinking twice... foolish

again, according to what authority?

>
>Good that he 'apologized', but that's not the issue..

now you're reaching. let it go.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 04:37 PM

16. "Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?"
In response to Reply # 0

If they didn't rape the girl, I am glad that they are exonerated for that crime but they were still calling the chicks "nigger".

There will never be a level playing field. You need to learn to run uphill.

Every man must know a Teedra http://www.myspace.com/teedramoses

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 05:24 PM

18. "RE: Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?"
In response to Reply # 16

while it was completely wrong of them to call her that word, although i'm not sure that was proven since the girl pretty much made everything up, and personallly, i would not get along with these kids and would think they are a bunch of rich frat boys, they didn't deserve to be judged like that, no one should. it was the right thing to do for him to apologize.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 04:48 PM

38. "RE: Am I the only one who still believes F' them Lacrosse Players?"
In response to Reply # 18

>while it was completely wrong of them to call her that word,
>although i'm not sure that was proven since the girl pretty
>much made everything up

Witnesses other than the girls heard the boys taunting the girls using the N word.

Folks aren't making sense to me. He didn't call the boys "rapists". He says F the Duke Lacrosse Players. Despite what happen, if they were racially taunting the girls, then still "F them Lacrosse Players".

There will never be a level playing field. You need to learn to run uphill.

Every man must know a Teedra http://www.myspace.com/teedramoses

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 06:03 PM

20. "truss me... i have no sympathy for them dudes."

nothing annoy's me more than privileged 18 to 20 something year old white men. but they weren't guilty of any crime, and due process prevailed.

digitaljohnjohn
Member since Jul 15th 2003
704 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:31 PM

24. "Co-sign"
Thu Apr-26-07 07:35 PM by digitaljohnjohn

If I was in Durham that night in that area it would
have been on like mutha*** popcone!! They was on T.V like they some
choirs boys and shit smh ....If they put themselves in a precarious situation to begin with
I show no sympathy

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:44 PM

25. "^^^ignorance.....i'm sorry this is just stupid"
In response to Reply # 24

>If I was in Durham that night in that area it would
>have been on like mutha*** popcone!! They was on T.V like they
>some
>choirs boys and shit smh ....If they put themselves in a
>precarious situation to begin with
>I show no sympathy

digitaljohnjohn
704 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 11:28 PM

31. "let me break it down for you homie"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu Apr-26-07 11:37 PM by digitaljohnjohn

let me be a lil more clear on what I'm trying to say
(I'am talking hypothetically here Mr. Lazy)
If I was up there and they was calling them broads ni99a
and I'm in ear shot of whats going on? Oh well..... guess I would
be getting ignorant than man.How would you carry it? some people turn the
other cheek because that's how they built .....not me though.

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 08:47 AM

32. "ok my bad. i thougth u were talking about if u were"
In response to Reply # 31

there and u heard about some rape accusations. my bad. cause u know some black students from another college assaulted some white duke students at a burger joint cause of these allegations

digitaljohnjohn
704 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 07:26 PM

23. "Man they been talkin about this on a local sports radio show"
In response to Reply # 0

here locally for the last month. Everytime I tuned in they sayin
"how come Duke is letting him perform" "why are they payin him"etc....
Really throwing Common under the bus..but people was calling in
running threw Common's resume trying to put these idiots up on something.
It takes a bigger man to apoligize without letting ego take over big ups to
him for that.

mellow
Charter member
1905 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 09:52 PM

28. "whoa a sec here..."
In response to Reply # 23

Apologizing doesn't make it right...

Imus cat apologized, but it didn't take away what was said.

Apologizing is good i guess, but the key is what is the real intention.

ppg_2311
Member since Jun 26th 2002
1978 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 10:21 PM

29. "RE: Stop overanalyzing this...Com is NOT IMus"
In response to Reply # 28

Com apologized and to think he had ulterior motives is pure speculation.

What is it that you know so much, that makes you doubt the sincerity of the man's apology ?

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Thu Apr-26-07 10:27 PM

30. "you cant compare this to Imus...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 10:08 AM

33. "jesus christ.... imus???"

*smh*

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 02:06 PM

35. "would you rather be called"
In response to Reply # 33

a nappy-headed ho or a rapist?

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 03:14 PM

37. "that is an entirely different issue fam."
In response to Reply # 35
Fri Apr-27-07 03:14 PM by Airbreed

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 04:48 PM

39. "i didn't bring up Imus, i'm merely responding since it was brought up."
In response to Reply # 37

Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 04:52 PM

41. "oh okay."
In response to Reply # 39

FuriousStyles3000
Member since Jan 18th 2007
876 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 02:18 PM

36. "not guilty does not mean innocent"
In response to Reply # 0

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 04:49 PM

40. "innocent until proven guilty. not proven guilty? assume innocence"
In response to Reply # 36

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #37237 Previous topic | Next topic