Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #3699

Subject: ""Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan..."" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""

First things first, this isn't a "hate post"...but ya'll gotta help me understand something here...this "Don't Say Nuthin" single...I'm baffled. Now trust, I know the industry, I've done radio for 8 years, interned @ different labels, etc. so I understand especially NOW that groups have to put out that radio friendly single first...but this "Don't Say Nuthin"...I don't even understand this one here. I can't even bob my head to it. As soon as I started hearing cats say they didn't like it, I gotta kinda scared cause I RARELY see ANYBODY not liking something the Roots put out rounb these okayplayer parts...so I listen...and I'm just @ a lost for words. I understand you've gotta get that radio/club single...but I can't see Flex droppin no bombs on this...I can't see chicks shaking to this...I'd rather listen to "1 Call Away" and I HATE Chingy! I just don't know why the Roots who are my 2nd fav group (nobody's toppin Outkast)pick THIS track to be the single. When "Break U Off" came out I knew MAD people that were like "they just redid you got me cause that was their biggest song" but I understood that...plus no matter how you call it the beat was BANGIN! Heads called it a broke version of "U Got Me" and it just might have been but it was still good. This "Don't Say Nuthin"...come on can we just be honest here...do you REALLY think this single is gonna get the Roots more fans? Do you REALLY see this being played after "Hotel" by Cassidy and before "Yeah" by Usher? If I sent a beat cd to the Roots with this track, there's NO WAY I would've made the album...this beat sounds like a Scott throwaway...like I said somebody just help me understand this one..

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know, but just a couple of comments
Apr 08th 2004
RE: I don't know, but just a couple of comments
Apr 08th 2004
      RE: I don't know, but just a couple of comments
Apr 08th 2004
           THAT...
Apr 13th 2004
you musta been on another site
Apr 08th 2004
RE: you musta been on another site
Apr 08th 2004
no offense man
Apr 08th 2004
RE: no offense man
Apr 08th 2004
um
Apr 08th 2004
NPR hehe (nm)
Apr 09th 2004
RE: um
Apr 09th 2004
this song had been white labeled on the low
Apr 09th 2004
      RE: this song had been white labeled on the low
Apr 09th 2004
what was the intial club reaction to "Frontin'"?
Apr 09th 2004
RE: um
Apr 09th 2004
RE:
furiousxgeorge
Apr 08th 2004
break you off
Apr 09th 2004
      "What You Want"
Apr 09th 2004
      I think cause people love the movie
Apr 09th 2004
      OK
furiousxgeorge
Apr 09th 2004
RE:
Apr 09th 2004
RE:
Apr 09th 2004
      philly
Apr 09th 2004
           RE: philly
Apr 09th 2004
RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan..."
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
this is an interesting comment...
Apr 09th 2004
RE: this is an interesting comment...
Apr 09th 2004
The whole board hates at BEP level. Will I am is laughi
Apr 09th 2004
RE: The whole board hates at BEP level. Will I am is la
Apr 09th 2004
      your name scares me
Apr 09th 2004
RE: i can't feel you
Apr 09th 2004
i cannot believe all this hate.
Apr 09th 2004
RE: i cannot believe all this hate.
Apr 09th 2004
      but what's with the mumbling
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
           Question
Apr 09th 2004
           RE: Question
Apr 09th 2004
                So in your opinion...
Apr 09th 2004
                No Doubt...
Apr 10th 2004
                     See
Apr 10th 2004
                My only comment
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
THERE IS NO "MARKETING PLAN!"
Apr 09th 2004
RE: THERE IS NO "MARKETING PLAN!"
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
Apr 09th 2004
      Good Looking Fam...
Apr 10th 2004
      My Own Quote...But You Can Use It"
Apr 10th 2004
           RE: My Own Quote...But You Can Use It"
Apr 10th 2004
                RE: My Own Quote...But You Can Use It"
Apr 11th 2004
Bait and hook.
Apr 10th 2004
Co-Sign
Apr 10th 2004
read my mind
Apr 11th 2004
RE: Bait and hook.
Apr 12th 2004

_JP
Member since Jan 29th 2003
2433 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I don't know, but just a couple of comments"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-08-04 04:47 PM

>As soon as I started hearing
>cats say they didn't like it, I gotta kinda scared cause I
>RARELY see ANYBODY not liking something the Roots put out
>rounb these okayplayer parts

Then you must be new around here because I always see mad Roots criticism.

>When "Break U Off"
>came out I knew MAD people that were like "they just redid
>you got me cause that was their biggest song" but I
>understood that...plus no matter how you call it the beat
>was BANGIN! Heads called it a broke version of "U Got Me"
>and it just might have been but it was still good.

I'm feeling "Don't Say Nuthin" more than break you off.

>This
>"Don't Say Nuthin"...come on can we just be honest here...do
>you REALLY think this single is gonna get the Roots more
>fans? Do you REALLY see this being played after "Hotel" by
>Cassidy and before "Yeah" by Usher? If I sent a beat cd to
>the Roots with this track, there's NO WAY I would've made
>the album...this beat sounds like a Scott throwaway

I like the beat

>like I
>said somebody just help me understand this one..

From a marketing perspective, I don't know if it was a good decision. I have no idea what the thought was. But I like the song. It's def not the best thing that The Roots have put out, but it's still jammin.

<------- The most important release of 2006, coming on July 23.
UPDATE: It's a boy!!!!!!

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: I don't know, but just a couple of comments"
In response to Reply # 1

Fam, explain to me what you like about this beat...the reason I ask is cause I KNOW WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT if cats came through my crib and I pushed play on the ASR and that beat came out...come on! What else are you feelin right now that's out? Or are you one of those "the roots can do NO wrong...they could have a song with Quest just beating on a trash can and no chorus and it'd still be bangin" cats?

So, if this was the VERY first time you were introduced to the Roots and you're a die hard hip hop head or just a R&B whatever they play on the radio cat...you'd be checkin for 'em?

_JP
Member since Jan 29th 2003
2433 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: I don't know, but just a couple of comments"
In response to Reply # 4

I can't explain to you why I like the beat; I just do. It kinda reminds me off the beat from "The Lesson - Part III (It's Over Now)" (which is one of my fav Roots beats) but with guitar taking the lead instead of Piano.

And no I'm not on some Roots dickriding isht. But I do like most of their stuff.

The radio sucks; I want to take all clear channel station off the air, but at the same time, I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard head. I like what I like. But regardless, if this was the first time that I heard the Roots, I wouldn't be running out to buy the album, but I'd def want to hear more from them.

<------- The most important release of 2006, coming on July 23.
UPDATE: It's a boy!!!!!!

Foneticcus
Charter member
10424 posts
Tue Apr-13-04 12:52 PM

56. "THAT..."
In response to Reply # 5

has got to be a joke. the lesson part 3 was one of the dopest beats of all frickin' time (hyperbole, yes, but dang)...i mean it was sickness. distilled, pure, unadulterated sickness. this beat is eehhhh @ best. a headnodder, yes, but please don't mention it in the same sentence as the lesson part 3. i used to walk around w/ that beat in my head, busting my butt to get home & write a verse. the only thing i remember abt this song is that thought came off madd hard & the chorus. i can't even member how the beat goes & i was playing it two days ago. geez...

===========================

"Pimping ain't art...but grabbing guns is?!"
(c) Menphyel

"I've come to realise that I never loved Hip-Hop as a whole,
just a particular era that happened at the same time as
I was actively checking actively for new music."

architectonic
Member since Feb 06th 2003
9940 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:04 PM

2. "you musta been on another site"
In response to Reply # 0

there is mad criticism on this site....especially okay artist. quest likes to complain about haters (hate, hate, hate-chapelle), but that mofo knows that he does respect the opinion of a few posters on here, or else he wouldnt try to get motherfuckers to do his homework.
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=104986&forum=lesson&omm=0

Sig Vicious
The Honest Ape | www.bigbadmedium.com | www.thehonestape.com |http://twitter.com/thehonestape

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:08 PM

3. "RE: you musta been on another site"
In response to Reply # 2

Naw, I'm not on another site...cats just have two TOTALLY different definitions of hate. To me hate is..."I HATE the roots! They suck! They're the WORST hip hop group ever! Quest was a punk in high school! Mal used to get chased home from King high! Illadleph was a piece of trash! Riq coudn't rap his way out of a battle @ Broad and Olney!"...now that's some hate for ya! But cats just sayin "I'm not feelin such and such"...that's just criticism. So, to me there's a lot of "criticism" round here but I seldomly see "Hate".

Von Pea
Member since Jul 07th 2002
23537 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "no offense man"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK THE MARKETING PLAN!!!!!

why do we care? see niggas wasnt worried about the marketing plan for "long live the kane". nobody wondered what equipment dre used on straight outta compton. all this trivial shit has nothing to do with being a fan.

12,204.intro!
12,205.the warm up!
12,206.paper thin!
12,207.skit 1!
12,208.far away!
12,209.take the l (get it)!
12,210.hahaha!
12,211.skit 2!
12,212.right here!
12,213.#$^@&!
12,214.rough u up!
12,215.skit 3!
12,216.pretty!
12,217.hooks!
12,218.want me!
12,219.ode 2 tanya!
12,220.we're bad!
12,221.outro!

Von on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/1499339.usr

vonpea.com

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 05:48 PM

7. "RE: no offense man"
In response to Reply # 6

Fam, on the strength I TOTALLY agree with you!!!! F-ck the Marketing plan! Because if we could say F-ck the Marketing plan in 2004 and mean it...I trust we wouldn't be listening to "Don't Say Nuthin"...we'd probably be listening to a little something more "Roots-ish" but since we live in a time that EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF MUSIC YOU PUT OUT HAS TO BE THOUGHT OUT AND TALKED ABOUT WITH THE LABEL HEADS, MANAGERS, ETC. I was just interested in how this became the single. It seems like most cats are on the same tip, like "well, it's not what I expected, but I like it anyway!" My debate teacher taught me my freshmen year @ Morgan State, if you take the word "but" out a debate...you have a VERY short debate. So let's take the word but out of this sentence..."well, it's not what I expected, but..." and just change it to "well, it's not what I expected." To me, a lot of cats round here (not everybody) will except ANYTHING the Roots put out. I don't see too many posts on some "I LOVE IT!!!!" Everything is on some wishy washy I don't wanna piss Quest off or get my post deleted type post. So, like I said earlier I agree with you 190%...f-ck the marketing plan, I just wish Quest and the crew could say the same thing...

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Thu Apr-08-04 10:10 PM

8. "um"
In response to Reply # 0

this shit has been club tested and im sorry---you lose on this.

what radio station you work at that you could speak so bold on this?

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 02:34 AM

11. "NPR hehe (nm)"
In response to Reply # 8

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 02:39 AM

12. "RE: um"
In response to Reply # 8

Quest, hey if you say this has been club tested then I guess you're right, I lose. The only thing I would ask is club tested by who? You? Was it on some ole you're spinning in a club and get on the mic like "new Roots"? Or were you out in NYC or Miami and after you heard "It's Hot" by Missy the dj threw this on and like DL Hughley said "kept the party going"?

Hey it's just my opinion. But there's NO WAY like I said earlier that I could hear Flex droppin bombs on this. But I'm sure you'll reply "Flex already has" or in fact you're with Flex this very minute as you type and he's saying he loves it! I mean what did I expect? For you to come on the boards and be like "you're right Kil, I really don't believe in this song"...you gotta big up your stuff! Round these parts you seem to be the coach, and I learned a LONG time ago if the coach looks like he doesn't believe in a play, then his players won't.

The original question was what's the marketing plan? This doesn't seem like something the Root's would drop. And not even on some ole "we can't experiment" stuff, cause to me ya'll come with a different vibe every album, but this just screams "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLAY ME IN THE CLUB! SHAKE YOU'RE A-- TO THIS PLEASE!" And hey, if the marketing plan is to get the Roots a club hit, then cool tell me that...remember the original question is what was the marketing plan.

Back in the ole TFA days when you're talking about Scott having a fire sale of beats it was a no brainer to me why you cats picked "U Got Me"...it's CRAZY!!!! But to honestly say that if I approached you with this "Don't Say Nuthin" beat, as you said in your D'Angelo Voodoo review...would Tip shake his head like he don't believe it? Would JD jump up in the air? Maybe that time of trying to impress your pears is over, I mean recorded Voodoo was almost 5 years ago...I remember you posting a while ago saying that Outkast has the success they do because they know how to make hits...do the Roots know how to make hits? Or maybe you don't want that "Outkast success". And straight up this ain't no hate psot, on the strength I'm trying to understand why one of my fav groups that I respect the ish outta would put this out...I'm trying to build, not dis...so instead of replying with the reg "mofos just be hating" help a cat to understand...and about the radio I hosted WEAA's "Strictly Hip Hop" show for 7 years out in B'more...and I think I know enough commercial radio station dj's to have a GOOD opinion on if they're FEELING this...again if they're FEELING this, not of they're boss MAKES them play it, but if they're FEELIN it...

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:11 AM

25. "this song had been white labeled on the low"
In response to Reply # 12

for about 4 weeks.
anyone who knows me knows the roots are the last group i spin in the club cause im not in denial about our ability to clear the floor. but more important than that. jimmy iovine himself listens to this song 10 times a day and forces all in his office to do all in their power to make this work.

so yes. programmers have all tested and sent their comments in and we do not have ONE low mark in the bunch (950 across us).

so yes by default (and i been explaining that hits are paid for not just added) yes---this will be our first real hit simply because in the meantime....

its jimmy iovine time

but to answer your question---ive seen club reaction and this is our first legitimate dance joint.

sorry.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:13 AM

27. "RE: this song had been white labeled on the low"
In response to Reply # 25

Fam, don't be sorry like I'm praying for ya'll to fail...I want ya'll cats to win...so I'm glad I'm wrong...is the rest of the album this "hit" friendly?

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 04:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "what was the intial club reaction to "Frontin'"?"
In response to Reply # 8

beginning isn't always the end

TravlinMak
Member since Nov 25th 2002
46 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
37. "RE: um"
In response to Reply # 8

"Fucking Robots!!!!" DJ Premier

furiousxgeorge

Thu Apr-08-04 10:18 PM

9. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-08-04 10:19 PM

Uhhh, well, when was the last time the roots made a club song? Never?

Like it or not, they make songs that mainly appeal to college aged white kids. You sell music to college aged white kids with nice songs, great concerts, and especially...awesome videos.

So far, the roots have gotten by with so-so videos and awesome songs.

I think the marketing plan is to have the VIDEO for don't say nuthin blow people away.

Von Pea
Member since Jul 07th 2002
23537 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:03 AM

17. "break you off"
In response to Reply # 9

and believe it or not i was at a college party (im black) and they threw on that best man joint they did with jag i forgot the name and the girls were all singing along....so its more than white college kids listening...

12,204.intro!
12,205.the warm up!
12,206.paper thin!
12,207.skit 1!
12,208.far away!
12,209.take the l (get it)!
12,210.hahaha!
12,211.skit 2!
12,212.right here!
12,213.#$^@&!
12,214.rough u up!
12,215.skit 3!
12,216.pretty!
12,217.hooks!
12,218.want me!
12,219.ode 2 tanya!
12,220.we're bad!
12,221.outro!

Von on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/1499339.usr

vonpea.com

Tariq3
Charter member
5461 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:16 AM

19. ""What You Want""
In response to Reply # 17
Fri Apr-09-04 05:23 AM

People love that song? I HATE that damn song. But hey! Let them niggas live. I HATE The Seed too, but obviously they know what they are doing.

Props on Von Sees btw..

------------------------------------------------------------
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You).
Ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be
worshipped except You). Astaghfiruka

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 11:59 AM

36. "I think cause people love the movie"
In response to Reply # 19

and it was in the opening credits that pretty big and it went along with the movie well. Jag did good with her singing. So them watching the movie kept the song in there heads.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

furiousxgeorge

Fri Apr-09-04 01:56 PM

38. "OK"
In response to Reply # 17

Not just white college kids, black too. Happy?

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 02:10 AM

10. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-09-04 02:11 AM

..but this
>"Don't Say Nuthin"...I don't even understand this one here.
>I can't even bob my head to it. As soon as I started hearing
>cats say they didn't like it, I gotta kinda scared cause I
>RARELY see ANYBODY not liking something the Roots put out
>rounb these okayplayer parts...

you sir have been to the wrong site, cause i see that shit almost everyday here "rounb these okayplayer parts...."

and i dont know about you but that shit knocks to me and i only heard it on cheap computer speakers..i know it bangs (well again to me) in a system

so I listen...and I'm just @
>a lost for words. I understand you've gotta get that
>radio/club single...but I can't see Flex droppin no bombs on
>this...I can't see chicks shaking to this...I'd rather
>listen to "1 Call Away" and I HATE Chingy!

that shit is club worthy i can actually visual hearing this shit in the club

and with that cingy comment, im going to pretend i didn't read that

@silentintellect

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 02:42 AM

13. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 10

Fam, what clubs do you show your face at? Where you rest at? Out in DC? You @ the Gardens or Dream? Out in Philly? Miami? NYC? Just trying to find out your club resume? Cats love saying "I could hear this in a club" and all they do is go to Alpha parties on their campus and think cause people are drunk it's a "club" so what's your resume club hopper?

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 06:20 AM

22. "philly"
In response to Reply # 13

and i dont waste time club hoppin unless its worth it and im willing to bet that this shit will bang in the club

@silentintellect

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:18 AM

28. "RE: philly"
In response to Reply # 22

you're telling me this is a club banger...and you don't even go to the club?!?! But you can visualize it huh? That's what's up...

LiShang52
Member since Sep 10th 2003
3710 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 04:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""
In response to Reply # 0

where did you ever get the idea that the roots are tryin to be mentioned in the same breath as cassidy and usher?? i dont think they were trying to make a club record, i think they were trying to make a hot song, and they succeeded....shit im glad your not a DJ at my radio station

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:11 AM

24. "RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""
In response to Reply # 14

Well, we just have two different definitions of what a "hot" song is. Questo himself said it's been club tested...come on fam...if you understand the industry (and that's a BIG if)you sell records by 1)getting on the radio 2)having your video played ALL DAY everyday 3)Having a club song...and that's just 3 of 'em...trust me...they're trying to blow up...and maybe even go pop...

Tariq3
Charter member
5461 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:02 AM

16. "this is an interesting comment..."
In response to Reply # 0

>If I sent a beat cd to the Roots with this track, there's NO >WAY I would've made the album...this beat sounds like a Scott >throwaway...like I said somebody just help me understand this >one..

I would like to know the Thought process behind choosing this particular song.

------------------------------------------------------------
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You).
Ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be
worshipped except You). Astaghfiruka

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:25 AM

30. "RE: this is an interesting comment..."
In response to Reply # 16

I would LOVE to kow the process, cause I'd bet my entire record collection (24 crates, over 2,000 cd's) I'd get THROWN out of the studio a la Uncle Phil and Jazzy Jeff...it's gotta be because Scott did it and after Scott doing Dre, Christina, Janet, Justin, etc. his name I guess sells records...and my name wouldn't sell huh?

ralph_s invisible man
Member since Jul 30th 2003
714 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:16 AM

18. "The whole board hates at BEP level. Will I am is laughi"
In response to Reply # 0

and so are the roots. Get that money, becuase you will always have that artistic integrity

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:21 AM

29. "RE: The whole board hates at BEP level. Will I am is la"
In response to Reply # 18

Yeah, BEP has that "artistic Integrity"...you're right you never lose that good ole "artistic integrity"...it's with you forever...NO MATTER WHAT YOU PUT OUT!!!! Come on fam, are you for real?

ralph_s invisible man
714 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:56 AM

32. "your name scares me"
In response to Reply # 29

:(

arson optics
Member since Feb 20th 2003
32 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:19 AM

20. "RE: i can't feel you"
In response to Reply # 0

this is a head nod track all day.

as soon as i heard the beat, i knew all you okayplayer,
wannabe purists, sittin behind your comp would hate on
on the beat. y'all dont know the roots better than the roots.

the shit is actually kinda flavor. thought was killin.

-op

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 06:09 AM

21. "i cannot believe all this hate."
In response to Reply # 0

what in the world is so wrong with this song??
i dont get it.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

tscar_musicdotcom
Member since Jan 07th 2003
435 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 06:59 AM

23. "RE: i cannot believe all this hate."
In response to Reply # 21

exactly...the first time i listened to it i wasn't thrilled with it, but after a few listens i'm just like "aahh...this is what music has been missing"...if the beat is club and y'all don't like it, fuck it, it's still a hot song...there is a such thing as making quality music that appeals to the masses and if that's what they're going to go for so be it...it's not strictly a radio/club song though...if it was tariq wouldn't be mumbling the chorus until he said "don't say nothin'" he woulda penned something that 14 year old girls in their mom's minivans could sing along to on kiss fm...although i do think thought (i'm calling him by different names like i know him or something :/) outshines the beat which is rare on a roots track, i still gotta give credit where it's due...can't wait to hear the album so i can take in the full mix instead of listening to streams

www.donotfollow.com
www.sevenspoon.com
www.download.com/tscar
www.download.com/qualoandthemovement

tscar_musicdotcom
Member since Jan 07th 2003
435 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:12 AM

26. "but what's with the mumbling"
In response to Reply # 23

i honestly am curious as to why he mumbles the hook...allz i could think of was that it was some kind of subliminal 50 cent diss but that seems highly unlikely

www.donotfollow.com
www.sevenspoon.com
www.download.com/tscar
www.download.com/qualoandthemovement

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 07:30 AM

31. "RE: i cannot believe all this hate."
In response to Reply # 23

THIS is what music has been missing? WOW! First everybody yells, Little Brother is what music has been missing. The boom bap the just hot beats and dope rhymes a la '93 hip hop...and the ya'll say "Don't Say nuthin" is what music has been missing? PLEASE don't think that if it was '93 ANYBODY would be liking this. Now I know it's not '93 and you gotta keep up with the times but dang! I guess that's why I LOVE Outkast, their music is timeless...you can't say they follow ANY blueprint and everytime out they STILL sell a ton of records...get radio and video play...I don't even think Quest would believe this one? What do you think Quest is "don't Say nuthin" what music has been missing?

novella
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
120 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 08:06 AM

33. "Question"
In response to Reply # 31

Why is Outkast the "gold standard" by which the Roots are incessantly compared? And I'm not trying to be funny, but I am curious. I've noticed that comparison frequently on okp. It reminds of Jan Brady always being compared to Marcia Brady. Marcia's older, she's more popular, she has more boyfriends. But there's nothing wrong with Jan, she has her own flavor.

Why compare with the implication (intended or not) that one (the roots) should be more like the other (outkast) in their approach, that one is missing some artistic/creative/strategic approach/ability that the other has. Why can't Jan just be Jan without people wanting her to be like Marcia and making her feel bad because she isn't.

Just curious what your response would be, based on your other posts. I may be reading into things.

blah

blah

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 04:19 PM

39. "RE: Question"
In response to Reply # 33

Aiight, maybe I'm the ONLY one round these parts to say that to me there's a "friendly" competition between the roots and Outkast...but to me there is. There friendly comp between ALL entertainers, athletes, etc. Heck, there's even friendly competition @ your job...I mean as my pastor would say "can we be REAL in here tonight"? I mean come on...I think even if Quest wants to be real...he'll even admit to it...I can remember seeing posts WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day '98-'99 and they're were always posts about who's better Outkast or the the Roots...they've been on the same tours...even been mumble jumbo about Big Boi dissin the Roots...hoopla over Quest giving the ill critique of their stage show after Rolling Stone (if I'm not mistaken) gave them the best live hip hop show award...Quest has been on here explaining why Kast has their success and the Roots don't...I mean come one...who wouldn't want 'Kast success? These cats follow NO formula @ all. No down south formula, no NY formula, no industry formula and the KILL EVERY SINGLE TIME! Doing them!!!! To me the Roots are following a formula, and in all honesty there's nothing wrong with that. Everybody can't do what Kast does...but when you're following a formula and you're telling me it's gonna be a hit because some powerful white man is going to make it a hit...I don't know...maybe I'm just stuck in '89 when a hit was something that was bangin...not because "the man" is gonna make his label make it a hit....but hey I understand the game...it's why the stars get the calls and the scrubs and rookies don't...and I'm not even "HATING" on the game...I'm just trying to have Questo and anybody in the camp help me explain how the crew that gave me "Distortion", "Silent", "Clones", "No Great Pretender", etc. give me "Don't Say Nuthin"...and if it's cause they're on the Patti LaBelle jawn the Love, Need and Want a hit then just tell me that...and in a nutshell, Quest has already answered my question...so I'm good.

novella
120 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 04:46 PM

41. "So in your opinion..."
In response to Reply # 39

is outkast on "another level" (okp comment) than the roots since they have been able to avoid following a formula and still hit? You really think there's no formula involved with outkast (a method to the madness)? In your opinion (not what quest said), what's the formula that the roots are following?

Thanks for your perspective.

blah

blah

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 06:17 AM

48. "No Doubt..."
In response to Reply # 41

I KNOW Outkast is on another level then the Roots...to me what I mean by following a formula is whatever is hot @ the time. Outkast has NEVER done that. Rosa Parks sounded like NOTHING on the radio. Neither did "Elevators", "BOB", etc. Outkast MAKES the radio play them. While everyone else it out trying to get the Neptunes, Timbo, Scott Storch, etc. to give them that 2004 hit, Kast just stays to themselves and bang out what they want to bang out. So, even though Scott's been down with the Roots from day one, to me it's a no brainer why in 2004 they'd go to him for the first single...in fact it's kinda common sense...all I say is can we get a BANGER from Scott (in ALL actuality I've never really even liked Scott...to me his claim to fame would be U Got Me)...

novella
120 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 09:24 AM

50. "See"
In response to Reply # 48
Sat Apr-10-04 09:54 AM

I agree with a lot of Frank Longo's comments below. The artistic freedom is in part due to their success. And part of this success has to do with having more radio and club friendly singles. (Plus I have my own theory about southern rappers being more accessible to casual listeners).

What struck me in your comments is the idea that the roots have some formula that they are following and that outkast has been able to avoid that trap. The basic gist of your point has been said in different ways on this board. And to me it implies that Outkast is more talented than the Roots(even if that's not what you meant), and I don't think that's true, maybe the reverse is true. I don't know

If you're an artist of any kind, I'm sure you know the difficulties you face when you want to maintain your artistic integrity and not just create for the marketplace, but still develop an audience and be successful at the same time. It's an age old dilemma that every artist has to figure out for themselves.

But I guess the way I see it, since this is a business, and part of succeeding in any business, whether it's the "art" business or any other kind, is strategy and thinking strategically about your choices. I would bet money, that Outkast is not just making music according to what they like and it just so happens that it is well received and garners them lots of fans. They have a strategy, they have carefully crafted images, they want/wanted fans as much as the Roots, and I'm sure they had in mind the kind of success they wanted and have pursued it. Certain principles help you succeed in whatever your doing. Art/the entertainment industry is not different in that respect.

Obviously the Roots also have a strategy, otherwise, I doubt thay they would be as successful as they are. Now you may say that their strategy isn't effective as Outkast's or that you don't necessarily like their strategy and could make a case for those points.

But I don't know about saying they are following a formula but Outkast isn't. I guess it also depends on how you define formula. When I think of formula, i think of lot of what's on the radio, where the artist is interchangeable. It could be cassidy, bow wow, or the man on the moon over a producers track, because the front man isn't the real force behind the music or the creation.

It's easy to draw the conclusion that Outkast is on another level than the Roots since they have been more commercially successful and have a larger fan base than the Roots. But I think that has more to do with marketing, timing, luck, and audience receptiveness. Take that commercial success out of the equation (cause we all know talent does not automatically equal success, and success damn sure don't necessarily equal talent), do you really think artistically Outkast surpasses the Roots (and not on some I just prefer this kind of music better tip).

I'm assuming you think Don't Say Nuthin' is formulaic and is made for the audience. What else of their work is formulaic in your opinion?

blah

blah

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 08:59 PM

43. "My only comment"
In response to Reply # 39

Outkast's lack of conformity I think is a result of their success as much as their success is a result of their lack of conformity. You see, were ATLiens not a hit, they wouldn't have been able to make Aquemini so unique. Were Rosa Parks not a hit, they wouldn't have been able to push further with Stankonia. Then, with the success of B.O.B. and the HUGE crossover success of Ms. Jackson and So Fresh So Clean, they coulda shit in a box and it still woulda won a Grammy (the haters would say they did just that). The Roots didn't start catching any large notice to my knowledge til What They Do (when I first heard of them). Then I remember hearing songs that were hits, no question (You Got Me, The Seed, Break You Off), but weren't HUGE. They haven't had their crossover. Also, Outkast has always been playable in the club. The Roots have not. They must figure if they can get more radio play than before and get in the club that they'll be set to do whatever the hell they want. They need the hits to make the freedom. And Outkast's style has always been more conducive to club and radio play, even while individual and creative.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

QDizl
Member since Aug 06th 2002
236 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 09:43 PM

44. "RE: i cannot believe all this hate."
In response to Reply # 31

yeah i gotta support you here. i can't front: i don't like the song. fuckit sue me if you want, but i don't like the song. and i hate having to trick myself into liking the song just because it's by an artist i like. now i'll probably be crucified. another case of "when keeping it real goes wrong."

Stop hater discrimination!!! Haters are people too!!

rickyd1
Member since Apr 01st 2004
17 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 08:57 AM

34. "THERE IS NO "MARKETING PLAN!""
In response to Reply # 0

Why do artists, and I do mean TRUE ARTISTS, have to have a marketing plan. YOu either dig it or you don't. Let's keep hip-hop about the music and keep the personality side out of it!!
The reason R&B SUCKS today is because it's personality-driven instead of music driven. It must be about the MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 04:26 PM

40. "RE: THERE IS NO "MARKETING PLAN!""
In response to Reply # 34

Fam, it ain't been about the music since I was a virgin and that was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago...but I wish I could go back to those good ole days...when you did the music you wanted and radio would play whatever was crazy and Stretch and Bob was on the air...hey speakin of Stetch and Bob...think they would play "Don't Say Nuthin"? Aiight, aiight enough of my sarcasm...I guess it's just a hard pill to swallow that groups that were made for the Stretch and Bob market now have to make music that if Stretch and Bob were still around they would NEVER play! (see Com's Come Close, Talib's Waitin 4 the DJ and the newest addition of Don't Say Nuthin)...these were the type of cats that made the Stretch and Bob show...now I guess they've gotta make the Kay Slay and Funkmaster Flexx show...and in ALL honesty, I have no hatred towards these groups...I have a hatred to this wack music industry that makes our favorite groups put out this sub par borderline WACK music...

Christopher_L
Member since Jul 09th 2003
530 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 08:59 AM

35. "RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""
In response to Reply # 0

After one listen I think it's kind of a slick song. My guess would be it does top 20 on Urban radio, and maybe top 15 possibly 10 on CHR/Rhythmic. Just from the basic vibe. I'm interested in how many southeastern stations give it an add off the rip though. I actually expected something more commerical than this actually.

It's a good dance song. Not an all out banger though. But a good song and a successful song does not have to bang all that hard in the club more people listen to the radio anyway. It's a good radio cut.

--------------
Peace.

CBL

Konundrum
Member since Feb 07th 2004
94 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 05:42 PM

42. "RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""
In response to Reply # 35

There are so many haters on this site... I personally like the song and the beat. The possibilities are endless as to what type of instrumentation they could add over this beat live. I think this song makes a good single myself. BT ripped it thoroughly.

Haters

Peace

QDizl
Member since Aug 06th 2002
236 posts
Fri Apr-09-04 09:48 PM

45. "RE: "Help Me Understand the Root's Marketing Plan...""
In response to Reply # 42

there's even more dickriders. shit, artists drop bombs AND bombshells. don't be ashamed and don't deny it. basically, if you have to listen to it a couple times to "like it," to me, that's bs.

Stop hater discrimination!!! Haters are people too!!

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 06:08 AM

47. "Good Looking Fam..."
In response to Reply # 45

I never even looked @ it like that but that's the truth like Paul Pierce...there will ALWAYS be more d-ckriders round here then criticism! Like I said I'm just stuck...like my man said if you have to listen to a song 5 times to like it...to me that's not hip hop...I listen to "Hip Hop" by Royce...grabbed me the first listen..."Bloody Murder" by MOP same thing...now cats might want to reply but how many albums will Royce and MOP sell and my answer would be...make up ya'll dang minds!!! One minute it's about "true music" not about how many records are sold....then the very next minute it's about selling records and making a living and feeding your kids...what side of the fence are ya'll on? Are ya'll Mets or Yankee fans?

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 06:04 AM

46. "My Own Quote...But You Can Use It""
In response to Reply # 42

To me hate is..."I HATE the roots! They suck! They're the WORST hip hop group ever! Quest was a punk in high school! Mal used to get chased home from King high! Illadleph was a piece of trash! Riq coudn't rap his way out of a battle @ Broad and Olney!"...now that's some hate for ya! But cats just sayin "I'm not feelin such and such"...that's just criticism. So, to me there's a lot of "criticism" round here but I seldomly see "Hate".

rickyd1
Member since Apr 01st 2004
17 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 10:27 AM

52. "RE: My Own Quote...But You Can Use It""
In response to Reply # 46

WHERE IS THE LOVE - "AIN'T NO LOVE IN THE HEART OF PHILLY"
I WOUL PAY MONEY TO KNOW WHAT YOU DID " BACK IN THE DAY." STOP HATIN' ON THE ROOTS 'CAUSE THEY GETTIN' PAID AND OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT. WHATS THE NAME OF YOUR GROUP? WHATS YOUR WEB ADDRESS? WHERE HAVE YOU PAID YOUR DUES?

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Sun Apr-11-04 02:24 PM

54. "RE: My Own Quote...But You Can Use It""
In response to Reply # 52

Oh yeah, RickyD1...you're right...they're paid and I'm not. So is Chingy, Luda, Nelly, etc. but I see ya'll okayplayers literally HATE on them on ALL the time. Like I said, make up your minds...one minute it's about "pushing the artistic borders", then "it's about having "the true essence of hip hop", then it's about how many records were sold, then it's about how much money you've got...like I said earlier make up your mind...and I didn't know if I went to an art museum I had to have my paint brush and scetch pad with me to critique anything I saw...thanks for that little piece of knowledge...next time I hit up the Art Musuem, I'll be sure to have my picaso kit with me...

NOMAD_77
Member since Aug 12th 2002
468 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 07:03 AM

49. "Bait and hook."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-10-04 07:04 AM

Bait em'. Get a nibble. Reel em' in.

Will this work? I hope so. We'll see in the following months.

I DON'T expect them to compromise thier sound with an album full of commercial friendly joints and "club bangers".

I expect nothing from them except good music.

I expect them to continue to give us kick-ass live shows.

Yeah. It sucks that they have to compromise A LITTLE.

I'd love them to take the Bombs Over Baghdad route: go against the grain and fuck our heads up.

But thats why they are The Roots and not Kast.

They've got to choose thier own direction and win the best way they can.

We may not agree with they're choices, but at the end of the day we'll still be able to enjoy the best band in Hip-Hop fronted by one of the tightest emcees in the game.

Justin_Maldonado_7
Charter member
5042 posts
Sat Apr-10-04 10:14 AM

51. "Co-Sign"
In response to Reply # 49

>But thats why they are The Roots and not Kast.
>
>They've got to choose thier own direction and win the best
>way they can.

as much as i hate to admit it, this single aint pushin artistic borders...

ralph_s invisible man
714 posts
Sun Apr-11-04 11:57 AM

53. "read my mind"

n/m

Kill
Charter member
197 posts
Mon Apr-12-04 12:51 AM

55. "RE: Bait and hook."

I'm just glad that SOMEONE sees we're getting "baited"...whick it some folk's terms is equal to getting tricked...

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #3699 Previous topic | Next topic