Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28920

Subject: "It's The Jawn!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
black thought

Fri Jul-02-99 01:52 PM

"It's The Jawn!"

For all yall players wondering,"Damn, when is Thought gonna post the new Jawn?" Here it is. For all new players, this is the entry I post from time to time. It's kind of like a "hot list" for the classics. Classic what? ... Classic anything. I'm comming to y'all, live, this week from Quimper, France. Right now, I'm listening to Run-DMC "Darryl n' Joe" ... Classic material Yo. This is a display of lyrycal sword-play, but not too complex. This words is spoken in plain , understandable English and all they're saying is, "Yo, We are the illest, ... the freshest, ... the sharpest crew out, and can't nobody fuck with it" Old school classics get me riled up. that's that action shit. Run and them could get on some jiggy shit without being all bitchy about it. Check the rhyme- "Well Im the rapper of the year and this the year of the rap/ And I'm never drinking beer, it's champagne in the tap!/And I'm cold makin money on a regular basis/ Pulling out knots in sucker Mc's faces!"-- Run was the sure shot Bwoy! But don't sleep on DMC - " When I per-form many mics I warm./I'm better known, as the quiet storm/ I don't talk too much but I got beef/When I kill Mcs, I cause grief, Devestating mic control is my main goal/ My name is Darrel, his name is Joe! -- My favorite part is when Run is like,"So D grab the mic, Ha ha , SAY WHAT!" This joint is a classic display of "Support Vocals." Na'mean?, that connection between two MCs that enables you to be so on top of the background vocals and transitions, the crowd begins to wonder who wrote who's rhyme. I sat "crowd" because RUN_DMC recorded their material as if they were performing for a capacity crowd.And with that Dundee-ass beat!... And JMJ's "drunken sytle scratch!" Ya'll know what it is. It's the Jawn. Well, I gotta RUN. I have a helicopter to catch. DM See Ya'

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Always on the go !!!!
Jul 02nd 1999
Bringing it back
Jul 02nd 1999
blackstar is nice at that too...
Sci-fi
Jul 02nd 1999
      no doubt!
Jul 09th 1999
take heed scratch
Jul 02nd 1999
back and forth like see-saws
FreeZ
Jul 14th 1999
speaking of classics...
air
Jul 02nd 1999
Yeah....
Jul 02nd 1999
      Thats What I Missed
Jihad
Jul 02nd 1999
           Wheelz of Steel
KRH-ONE
Jul 03rd 1999
boot camp
Anon
Jul 03rd 1999
i saw run dmc live and...
Jul 03rd 1999
yea
Spread N. Fection
Jul 15th 1999
corny
Jul 03rd 1999
America's Most Blunted
Status Quo
Jul 07th 1999
what about erick & parrish?
Jul 08th 1999
Smif & Wessun
Jihad
Jul 09th 1999
      WERE
Jul 09th 1999
don't forget!
Jul 09th 1999
yeah, you right about that
natural1
Jul 09th 1999
You Know Heads Who Didn't Feel "Ital"????
Jul 10th 1999
Ital
Mal
Jul 13th 1999
      keep it Ital
Jul 14th 1999
           Ital
blue tiger
Jul 14th 1999
I never forgot
Jul 13th 1999

jp
Charter member
3893 posts
Fri Jul-02-99 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Always on the go !!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

DAMN BT !!!! You're always in a rush when you post. Riddle me this...... If you're in such a hurry to catch your helicopter then why did you post again pardoning your sloppy typing ?!??? I'm just fuckin' with you. Glad to see you showin' the okayplayers love once again.

nickelz45
Member since May 16th 2003
1029 posts
Fri Jul-02-99 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Bringing it back"
In response to Reply # 0

to the old school, yeah I like that. Run-Dmc is the jawn. I agree with you when you were talking about support rhymes and not knowing who wrote who's rhymes. I love it when groups or collaborations can get down in a clean fashion like that because it shows that they took their time to figure everything out like "ok you start your rhyme here and I'll jump in here" type of ish. Another group that is one of the best at this style of rhyme was EPMD, man they were on point with tradeing of verses. But the group that has taken the reings on this has to be Jurassic 5, these guys are so nice on the mic and their harmonizing and jumping in at the end of someoneelse's(is that a word?) rhyme is some of the best that I have heard. Peace, Nick<P>"I do not know how to teach philosophy without becoming a disterber of the peace"-Benjamin Spinoza

<----- 100% Hater Proof.

"B-Boy for life fuck a suit and a tie" Thes One

"I'm on my own dick like sleeping on my stomach" AG

"The tantalizing wordplay yeah that's the joint
Sometimes I have to cuss just to prove my damn point" Q-Tip

Sci-fi

Fri Jul-02-99 03:52 PM

4. "blackstar is nice at that too..."
In response to Reply # 2

i haven't heard too much J5, but if you listen to blackstar's "freestyle" off the first soundbombing (one of my fav. blackstar joints), and tracks like "Astronomy" and "B Boys..." they pull that ish off like no other i've ever heard.<P>Sci-fi.<BR>i've always known what you'll find out tomorrow.

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Fri Jul-09-99 06:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "no doubt!"
In response to Reply # 4

yo sci-fi,<P>i'm feeling you on the reference to the black star "freestyle" off the soundbombing 1...i've been bumping that joint on the reg and that track was the first thing that came to my mind when i read tariq's post...that's some good shit right there...peace!!!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Jul-02-99 02:59 PM

3. "take heed scratch"
In response to Reply # 0

My favorite part <BR>>is when Run is like,"So D <BR>>grab the mic, Ha ha , <BR>>SAY WHAT!" This joint is a <BR>>classic display of "Support Vocals." Na'mean?, <BR>>that connection between two MCs that <BR>>enables you to be so on <BR>>top of the background vocals and <BR>>transitions, the crowd begins to wonder <BR>>who wrote who's rhyme. <P>scratch i command you listen to this 100 times. and learn!!!!!<P>"god made me a backround vocalist that DIX ignores"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

FreeZ

Wed Jul-14-99 12:53 PM

24. "back and forth like see-saws"
In response to Reply # 3

I enjoy that classic verbal assist. Bakc in the days when headz would finish of his mic-mates verse. Nuff respect riq. Peace, FreeZ

air

Fri Jul-02-99 04:17 PM

5. "speaking of classics..."
In response to Reply # 0

Just wanted to drop a quick note to Tariq (and Malik, but he probably don't check up on us okayplayers much). Anyway, the 1-9-8-6 remix on Sway & Tech's joint, damn Tariq, your verse is the shit (bwoy )! Anyway, props to you and Malik on yet another hot joint.<P>"Down by law, yo, they must be talkin bout me. It's the B-L-A-C-K-T-H-O-U-G-H-T"<P>Air<BR>

RamXL
Charter member
13957 posts
Fri Jul-02-99 04:28 PM

6. "Yeah...."
In response to Reply # 5

I love when an MC gets hype about a back-and-forth style of rhymin....a la RunDMC, man Black you and Mos Def, really brought us back some of that ill 87 flavor with "Double Trouble", thank-you, we heads needed that...<P>Peace<BR>RamXL

"shit, been the same since '86 and kane"

Jihad

Fri Jul-02-99 09:11 PM

7. "Thats What I Missed"
In response to Reply # 6

On the new Kast jawn. Am I the only one that felt that way. They used to always trade verses, now only on the song Aquimini. Still a great album but I took getting used to.

KRH-ONE

Sat Jul-03-99 07:59 PM

10. "Wheelz of Steel"
In response to Reply # 7

see subject<P>"when you're sick of trying, how can you expect to succeed? i can't recall my first failure and i'll forget this one too, over time." -Anthony Civoletti

Anon

Sat Jul-03-99 06:02 PM

8. "boot camp"
In response to Reply # 0

ok players yal can't forget the duo from the boot camp, tek and steele. when they were smif and wesson(however you spell it. i'm blowed right now)they kicked the back and forth with fluency.<BR> peace<P><P>"me against the world"

HieroHero
Charter member
437 posts
Sat Jul-03-99 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "i saw run dmc live and..."
In response to Reply # 0

i saw em live last year, and man they've really lost it. reverend run is an old balding man,,, dmc was good. but the show overall was terrible. it was very sad 2 see..<P>tim from the a-u-s

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com -> takin it back to the ol skool

http://www.myspace.com/hierohero

Spread N. Fection

Thu Jul-15-99 05:00 AM

25. "yea"
In response to Reply # 9

yo the first album i ever bought(besides thriller of course) was raising hell and RUNDMC became my shit. Listening to them first got me into rhyming when I was supposed to be reading in third grade. But I went to a recent show of theirs in Cleveland and it was a wack site that scarred me. They only did like one set and they would stop in between songs and sign t-shirts and try to sell them to audience members for $50 a peice. They were all like "these will be collectors items. we were some of the first rappers, blah, blah" - man fuck that! they pissed me off. I knew something was up when I saw them on a wack ass Gap commercial, but damn. LL did a commercial for them too. I used to work at a Gap and they're the most money-hungry, bullshit policy-havin, brainwashing, robot, pop-culture peice of shit company around. LL and RUNDMC made me start rapping and their selling out makes me keep rapping so I can hit the world with some dope concsious shit. That show just made me feel like I just saw my pops sell my brother for crack or some shit. Very surprising and disappointing. Peace

LoopFactor
Charter member
4270 posts
Sat Jul-03-99 08:21 PM

11. "corny"
In response to Reply # 0

> Well, I gotta RUN. <BR>>I have a helicopter to catch. <BR>>DM See Ya' <P>Yo...that was a pretty lame attempt at using a pun. You need to put a little more thought(hehe) into your jokes next. lol<P><P>www.bounce.to/focus<;BR>

Lamont

Status Quo

Wed Jul-07-99 06:58 PM

12. "America's Most Blunted"
In response to Reply # 11

My man Reggie Noble and Meth can really trade verses if they're into the track and shit (IE: "Big Dogs") Other times, I think they're too blunted to know what's going on.<P>Status Quo<P>

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Thu Jul-08-99 08:07 PM

13. "what about erick &amp; parrish?"
In response to Reply # 0

what do you think about their "old" chemistry.

...she had a body like a cello with legs
i mean the ass was absurd
long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips
full lips between dimples

Jihad

Fri Jul-09-99 04:11 AM

14. "Smif &amp; Wessun"
In response to Reply # 13

to me there even better than Black Moon. When they trade verse its like butta like butta I say.

Mello
Charter member
2119 posts
Fri Jul-09-99 06:14 AM

15. "WERE"
In response to Reply # 14

Yeah, SmifnWessun were better than Black Moon. Cocoa B'z album kinda lost the steam that Dah shinin started up. Buck single handedly carries War Zone due to the lackluster BeatMinerz production, but I see your point

www.essencepv.com (proofs/HarrisClaude)

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Fri Jul-09-99 06:55 AM

17. "don't forget!"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't know if this is considered "the jawn" or some classic shit, but a lot of okayplayers left out "ital (the universal side)" off the illadelph halflife" joint...i know a couple of heads that weren't feelin' that joint, but to me thought and tip trade verses back and forth like a baton on that shit...you wanna talk about ill transitions?...but, i think vocal tone also plays a factor in making transitions especially hot because it helps switch up the monotony (darryl/joe, mos/talib, tip/phife, big/meth on "the what", etc.)...anyway, tariq keep blessin' us with more "jawns" for discussion. I'm out!!!

natural1

Fri Jul-09-99 07:12 AM

18. "yeah, you right about that"
In response to Reply # 17

This is one of my favorite jawns with the "back n forth" tradin' of verses.<P>natural1<P>"Shoo Bee Doo, Run, Run, Run" <P><a href="http://www.members.tripod.com/daNaturaL1/mypage/home.html">http://www.members.tripod.com/daNaturaL1/mypage/home.html<;/a>

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Jul-10-99 07:32 AM

19. "You Know Heads Who Didn't Feel &quot;Ital&quot;????"

>i don't know if this is considered <BR>>"the jawn" or some classic shit, <BR>>but a lot of okayplayers left <BR>>out "ital (the universal side)" off <BR>>the illadelph halflife" joint...i know a <BR>>couple of heads that weren't feelin' <BR>>that joint, <P>Wha???? They must have been heavily sedated if they didn't feel that joint. Tip came off with his best performance in years! I wanted those cats to form a group! (sorry, Malik, no disrespect).<P>Peace,<P>Spirit<BR><a href="http://amphibians.iuma.com">http://amphibians.iuma.com<;/a><BR><a href="http://infiniteloop.iuma.com">http://infiniteloop.iuma.com<;/a><BR>DC hip-hop is on the rise...

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Mal

Tue Jul-13-99 10:06 AM

21. "Ital"
In response to Reply # 19

I dig the Roots, and try to stay current on everything that happens with them. But I admit, some info slips through the cracks. Can somebody scholl me as to what "ital" really is. i havent heard the song in awhile, but i see Okayheads use the word in sentences like it has other meaning. Tell me the science please. Is it deeper than the actual song?<P>Go Peacefully,<BR>Mal<P>The previous comments belong to Mal and do not express the views of the Roots or the Okayplayer.com staff.<BR>

stylus
Charter member
636 posts
Wed Jul-14-99 04:49 AM

22. "keep it Ital"
In response to Reply # 21

I do believe that "ital" is Jamaican slang that I can loosely translate as "dope" or "fresh". Highly amenable, etc. Could some more knowledgeable island heads do some schooling here? I'm afraid I'm just "Ja-fakin'".<P>-djstylusmakeitrealfunky4u<BR><a href="http://www.boondocks.net">http://www.boondocks.net<;/a><BR><a href="http://www.strictlyhiphop.com">http://www.strictlyhiphop.com<;/a><P>

.:|djstylus|:.
www.vibeconductor.com

blue tiger

Wed Jul-14-99 04:57 AM

23. "Ital"
In response to Reply # 22

In the Rastafarian I and I tradition: "ital" means vital. That is all.

stylus
Charter member
636 posts
Tue Jul-13-99 05:17 AM

20. "I never forgot"

I had always bigged up Ital on previous threads that have unfortunately gotten lost due to message board attrition. <P>But like Spirit said, this was one of Tip's best performances in recent years, if not THE best.<P>-djstylusmakeitrealfunky4u<BR><a href="http://www.boondocks.net">http://www.boondocks.net<;/a><BR><a href="http://www.strictlyhiphop.com">http://www.strictlyhiphop.com<;/a><P>

.:|djstylus|:.
www.vibeconductor.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28920 Previous topic | Next topic