Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28096

Subject: "why did COMMON and Cube have beef" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Motion
Charter member
0 posts
Fri Nov-26-99 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"why did COMMON and Cube have beef"

What exactly sparked that beef?<P>And how come I never heard an ice cube retaliation track?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
common and cube beef
Nov 26th 1999
OH OH...
BTMBQHKDR
Nov 26th 1999
by him not saying offensive...
BTMBQHKDR
Nov 26th 1999
OKay
Nov 27th 1999
Let me hear
Nov 26th 1999
I'm not sure how i can get it to you
BTMBQHKDR
Nov 26th 1999
westside slaughterhouse
abstrak360
Nov 26th 1999
i don't think so
Nov 26th 1999
Com's Greatest Dis
Nov 28th 1999
cube DID come back...sort of....
smartball
Nov 26th 1999
Com/Cube beef...
Nov 26th 1999
nuff respect for the teching illwill. thanx......n/m
sonor
Nov 27th 1999
impressive
FuqdUpJitters
Nov 28th 1999
uhmmmm????
Nov 29th 1999
Gobble Gobble
LyricalJester
Nov 29th 1999
Where Could I Find The Common Dis Track....
Nov 30th 1999
well...
Nov 30th 1999
      I think that...
rosbusa1
Nov 30th 1999
           Relativity Urban Assualt
SqueegeeXM
Nov 30th 1999

blakgirl
Member since Oct 27th 2002
307 posts
Fri Nov-26-99 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "common and cube beef"
In response to Reply # 0

common made the song, "i usedta love her," where the "her" was a personification of rap/hip-hop. he says sumthin' bout her goin' out west and being a whore or sumthin' like that. basically, he was sayin' that the west coast effed up rap/hip-hop or sumthin' like that. cube, the intellect that he is (ahem!), deciphered the metaphor and got his draws all in a bunch. i think cube did say sumthin', but anyhoo, they squashed the beef.<P>blak.<P>to new to be right.

blak.

i'm baaaaaaack.

BTMBQHKDR

Fri Nov-26-99 11:32 AM

2. "OH OH..."
In response to Reply # 0

I know this, I asked this about 2 months ago...What started was in I use to love H.E.R. Common said some things about the west...but none of them offensive...except to Cube...So Cube rounds up his posse...Makes a track, damn...I can't remember what it was called...but him Mac 10, WC, & Cube made a dis song towards Com...ahhhh damn...Com came back with Bitch in Yoo...the greatest dis track ever...I have it on mp3 if you haven't heard it...but straight up, Com ripped Cube like 4 new assholes <P>"Webster's don't know jack" me<BR>"CARROTS" me<BR>"The system is screwed" me

BTMBQHKDR

Fri Nov-26-99 11:34 AM

3. "by him not saying offensive..."
In response to Reply # 2

well...just listen to I Use to Love H.E.R. and you'll get it<P>"Webster's don't know jack" me<BR>"CARROTS" me<BR>"The system is screwed" me

DaiLa
Charter member
544 posts
Sat Nov-27-99 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "OKay"
In response to Reply # 3

He said something of the sort before in "The Roots"<BR>"Love Of My Life".....<P>"aiight whateva I say you know keepin it so so real boo"<P>DaiLa <P>D.C

Motion
Charter member
0 posts
Fri Nov-26-99 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Let me hear"
In response to Reply # 2

Let me hear that mp3 then.

BTMBQHKDR

Fri Nov-26-99 03:00 PM

8. "I'm not sure how i can get it to you"
In response to Reply # 4

You have a yahoo address, I don't think i can send it from aol to yahoo, but i'm not sure...if you have AIM i think i can send it<P><BR>"Webster's don't know jack" me<BR>"CARROTS" me<BR>"The system is screwed" me

abstrak360

Fri Nov-26-99 02:13 PM

5. "westside slaughterhouse"
In response to Reply # 2

was the name of the song that westide connection made in retaliation to i used to love her.

LoopFactor
Charter member
4270 posts
Fri Nov-26-99 02:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i don't think so"
In response to Reply # 2

>but him Mac 10, WC, <BR>>& Cube made a dis song <BR>>towards Com...<P>actually....to my knowledge they didn't dedicate an entire song towards dissing Com. Cube said a few lines in a couple of songs, but that was about it. anyways, it's past tense now<P><BR>"Do I have to???"<P>FOCUS-<a href="http://www.focushiphop.cjb.net">http://www.focushiphop.cjb.net<;/a>

Lamont

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Nov-28-99 07:56 PM

13. "Com's Greatest Dis"
In response to Reply # 2

I too would like to hear this MP3. Email me at sleepykid@hotmail.com. Peace and Thanks!!!

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

smartball

Fri Nov-26-99 02:21 PM

7. "cube DID come back...sort of...."
In response to Reply # 0

after "westside slaughterhouse" on mack 10's first album, in which ice cube says something like "trick ass beeyitch, with no common sense, fool, hip hop started in the west, mack 10 bailin through the east without a vest" common retaliates with bitch in yoo. then later on the westside connection album, cube says on the track "hoo bangin' (WSCG remix)" (sorry my brother used to like this shit) "i'm bombin/on common/sense!/chicago's mine, nigga hit the fence!" lame comeback especially after bitch in yoo, but...it's cube "he ain't made shit dope since america's most"...peace

ILLWILL
Charter member
25041 posts
Fri Nov-26-99 10:46 PM

9. "Com/Cube beef..."
In response to Reply # 0

Aiight, it all started with the Common classic, "I Used To Love H.E.R." where Com says <P>"But then she broke to the West coast, and that was cool/Cause around the same time, I went away to school/And I'm a man of expandin, so why should I stand in her way/She probably get her money in L.A./And she did stud, she got big pub but what was foul/She said that the pro-black, was goin out of style/She said, afrocentricity, was of the past/So she got into R&B hip-house bass and jazz/Now black music is black music and it's all good/I wasn't salty, she was with the boys in the hood"<P>Ice Cube hears the "she was with the boys in the hood" line and takes offense. On Mack 10's first album, on a song called "Westside Slaughterhouse", Cube comes with this dis towards Com<P>"All you suckas want to dis the pacific/But you buster niggas never get specific/Used to love her mad cause we fucked Her/pussy whipped bitch with no common sense/Hip Hop started in the west/Ice Cube bailin' through the east without a vest"<P>So, a local Chicago college radio host Kevin "AMC" Beecham of Northwestern's radio station (WNUR) recieves a free copy of Mack 10's album. He isn't overly enthused about it, but plays it anyway. He hears the dis towards Com and later sees Com at a party and tells him about the dis. They go to Kevin's car and he plays the song for Com to hear. Com apparantly doesn't feel like being a bitch and comes with the illest dis song of all time in "The Bitch in Yoo" and verbally murders Ice Cube.<P>Ice Cube hears the song and comes back on the Westside Connection album on the song "Hoo Bangin" and says <P>"I'm bombin' on Common Sense/Chicago is mine nigga hit the fence" <P>Apparantly Common didn't think that this song was worth retaliating to because the diss was weak as fuck.<P>Then, after the death of the Notorious B.I.G., Nation Of Islam leader Min. Louis Farrakhan holds a peace summit type of deal in Chicago. All the rappers with beef are invited. Common and Cube both attended and once they saw each other, they both went to the front of the summit and embraced in a show of peace. All in all, a good, peaceful, fitting end to a interesting beef.<P>"ILLWILSON got me into that Roots show thingy, and tells me about his sexcapades on the IM chat. Yaaaaay Will."- Dr Squeegie (XM)<P>"never disrespect women cause I love my momma" Talib Kweli<P>DO YASELF A DAMN FAVOR AND BUY THE JAZZYFATNASTEES ALBUM 'THE ONCE AND FUTURE' IN STORES NOW!!!!!!

i'm back...?

sonor

Sat Nov-27-99 11:19 AM

10. "nuff respect for the teching illwill. thanx......n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

*One Love*<P>"It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice"

FuqdUpJitters

Sun Nov-28-99 04:23 PM

12. "impressive"
In response to Reply # 9

now THERE'S a man who knows his hip-hop history.

YaYa
Member since Jun 03rd 2002
13 posts
Mon Nov-29-99 05:50 AM

14. "uhmmmm????"
In response to Reply # 9

I heard that Common was crying at the peace summit, truth or fiction?<P>Ya-Ya's Feed Your Mind Chronicles<BR><a href="http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/stands/7507/mindfeed.html">http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/stands/7507/mindfeed.html<;/a><P>ATTENTION!!!! You can now purchase the AutNoyz CD at mp3.com featuring the top ten hits "Aint No Tellin'", "360 Degrees", "Perfect Murder", and much more. Hey, I'm on 4 tracks ok, go buy it kids!!!!<BR><a href="Http://www.mp3.com/artists/60/autnoyz.html">Http://www.mp3.com/artists/60/autnoyz.html<;/a><BR>

Don't make me hit you wit' my cane young jitterbug. Ree-spec ya elders!

LyricalJester

Mon Nov-29-99 08:43 AM

15. "Gobble Gobble"
In response to Reply # 0

I know that this beef is a dead issue, and it should rest in peace, but I have a question that is derived from this beef...After the summit, and the beef was "squashed", I heard Common had a show, started with the first line "A bitch n#### with an attitude.." and then he stopped the song and said it was deaded..Then two years ago at Manhattan Center for the Rock Steady Ann. he kicked the whole song..anyone know what was up with that? lj..out..out..out

NeonAfroMonkFromBrooklyn
Charter member
342 posts
Tue Nov-30-99 05:51 AM

16. "Where Could I Find The Common Dis Track...."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey, where could i buy the Common dis track? Did he ever put it on an album or single? I would love to hear it...<P> Peace-Max<P>"Not strong/Only aggressive/Not free<BR>We only licensed/ Not compassioniate, only polite/ Now who the nicest?<BR>Not good but well behaved/Chasin after death so we can call ourselves brave?<BR>Still livin like mental slaves/ Hidin like thieves in the night from life<BR>Illusions of oasis makin you look twice<BR>/Hidin like thieves in the night from life/ Illusions of oasis makin you look twice<P> -Mos Def and Talib Kweli "Theives in the Night"<P>

JohnBrown
Charter member
4 posts
Tue Nov-30-99 10:09 AM

17. "well..."
In response to Reply # 16

It was released on an epic street tape I heard, and the only other place I've heard it was on mix tapes. This famous feud also led to lines from the next big hip-hop grudge match between canibus/ll. The peace summit with cube and com is what canibus was talking about when he said, make ya wife get on the horn, call minister farrakhan, so he persuade me to squash it. and "like common and cube, i see the bitch in you.<P>"The true wealth of a nation lies not in it's gold or silver but in it's learning, wisdom, and in the uprightness of its sons." Kahlil Gibran

rosbusa1

Tue Nov-30-99 10:19 AM

18. "I think that..."
In response to Reply # 17

Bitch In Yoo can be found on this Relativity sampler album that came out a few years ago. It was released commercially so you can probably find it in most record stores. I think that "Find That Shit" by The Beatnuts is on there and some other stuff, and "Bitch In Yoo" is like the last track on the album.

SqueegeeXM

Tue Nov-30-99 11:30 AM

19. "Relativity Urban Assualt"
In response to Reply # 18

"The Bitch in Yoo" was indeed included on the 1996 Relativity Records sampler, along with Fat Joe's "Envy" b-side, "Firewater", which featured Raekwon and the first appearance of Big Pun. This sampler was commercially released, but will probably be hard to find without a good search. It was released in smaller quantities than most commercial LP's, and I imagine is permanently out of print. Search every retail outlet in your area, and every used CD spot as well.<P>"Bitch in Yoo" isn't the last track on the CD, and it's listed. I think it's like the 4th or 5th joint on there, but I don't have the CD in front of me right now, so I can't say for sure.<P>________________________________________<BR>Dr. Squeegee ¤ Taking smartassedness into the 21st Century.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28096 Previous topic | Next topic