Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #2645

Subject: "How many units did TTP" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
comment
Charter member
2828 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 05:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How many units did TTP"
Thu Aug-19-04 05:03 AM

sell so far?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'd like to know too
Aug 19th 2004
RE: How many units did TTP
Aug 19th 2004
Aug 19th 2004
i think they are closin in on about
Aug 19th 2004
woah - really?
octogon
Aug 19th 2004
      man, eff jimmy
Aug 19th 2004
           whoa
Aug 19th 2004
           RE: man, eff jimmy
Aug 19th 2004

octogon
Aug 19th 2004
           Wait, wait.
Aug 19th 2004
                actually, it's as clear as daylight
Aug 19th 2004
                Right - I just hope...
octogon
Aug 19th 2004
                im sayin' ... DSN alone
Aug 19th 2004
                     More or less what I thought.
Aug 20th 2004
                     not hearing your own beats...
Aug 20th 2004
                     thats not what i said.
Aug 20th 2004
                     Maybe you can answer this then...
octogon
Aug 20th 2004
                          i cant answer that
Aug 20th 2004
                               scott is considered camp??
Aug 22nd 2004
                     RE: not hearing your own beats...
Aug 20th 2004
                          huh?
Aug 20th 2004
                     RE: im sayin' ... DSN alone
Aug 20th 2004
           GODDAMMIT I TOLD YALL!!!!!!!!
Aug 20th 2004
                RE: GODDAMMIT I TOLD YALL!!!!!!!!
Aug 20th 2004
                     Kanye pays for his own videos
Aug 20th 2004
                          ding ding ding.
Aug 20th 2004
                               All it took was $30 g's
Aug 27th 2004
Did people ever think that...
JillFine
Aug 20th 2004
RE: Did people ever think that...
Aug 20th 2004
JillFine
Aug 20th 2004
Aug 20th 2004
JillFine
Aug 20th 2004
                you and q just talk amongst yourselves
Aug 20th 2004
                RE: you and q just talk amongst yourselves
Aug 20th 2004
                     album sales are what this whole thread is about
Aug 20th 2004
                     RE: you and q just talk amongst yourselves
Aug 27th 2004
Aug 21st 2004
damn
Aug 20th 2004
fuck a kanye and your ignant ass
Aug 20th 2004
well,well,well...WHALEBOY IS BACK !
Aug 20th 2004
*whips penis out*
JillFine
Aug 22nd 2004
      *whips out magnifying glass*
Aug 25th 2004
           lol
Aug 25th 2004
           truth hurts
Aug 25th 2004
           lol nm
Aug 27th 2004
RE: yup TTP takes too long to grow on you
Aug 21st 2004
Single?
Aug 20th 2004
no, thats not what is being said
Aug 20th 2004
300,000 in four weeks is good
Aug 20th 2004
RE: 300,000 in four weeks is good
Aug 21st 2004
Aug 21st 2004
wow, thought
Aug 22nd 2004
up
Aug 25th 2004

betelgeuse
Member since May 13th 2003
4750 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 06:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i'd like to know too"
In response to Reply # 0

-youre darn tootin

-okayplayer since 2000

KJfunkin
Member since Mar 12th 2003
1187 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 07:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: How many units did TTP"
In response to Reply # 0

up^^^^^

"No dissrespect bruh........but don't overthink the music...
That last statement you made was concise, but this is HIP-HOP...

This is what we do:
Spray paint on walls
Scratch records
Chopp samples
Emcee"
-9th Wonder

*Currently holding tryouts for a new sig*

roberto
Charter member
871 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 07:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "499,999..."
In response to Reply # 0

...as of... now. But a copy, make it gold.

LiShang52
Member since Sep 10th 2003
3710 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 08:04 AM

4. "i think they are closin in on about"
In response to Reply # 0

300 K or so

octogon

Thu Aug-19-04 08:27 AM

5. "woah - really?"
In response to Reply # 4

Jimmy can't be happy with this...

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "man, eff jimmy"
In response to Reply # 5

after he did the very thing he told his staff not to do, "blow smoke up the roots manager's ass." if they had played their hand like they promised they were going to, TTP would already be gold and possibly on its way ...

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 09:38 AM

7. "whoa"
In response to Reply # 6

:/

~You only know what you see. You don't understand what it takes to be me~

~Don't let other people's expectations of you determine your choices~

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: man, eff jimmy"
In response to Reply # 6

i don't get u....break it down for me

octogon

Thu Aug-19-04 10:50 AM

9. ""
In response to Reply # 6

...jumped ship like the Titanic after those first week sales. Guess this confirms it.

AquaBoogie
Member since Feb 28th 2003
3478 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
10. "Wait, wait."
In response to Reply # 9

I'm lost. What happened.

Kats are speaking in code.

magicmedicine
Member since Jul 19th 2002
2551 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 11:52 AM

11. "actually, it's as clear as daylight"
In response to Reply # 10

octogon

Thu Aug-19-04 12:02 PM

12. "Right - I just hope..."
In response to Reply # 11

...TTP doesn't turn into another label-issue debacle like 'Electric Circus' was for Rash. As soon as that label support was gone...

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu Aug-19-04 12:41 PM

13. "im sayin' ... DSN alone"
In response to Reply # 10

you think anyone ever thought DSN alone was going to carry TTP to 1 million? DSN was designed as a lead-in single, one that ji hand picked himself... not the roots. DSN did well for what it was designed to do but it peeked and fizzed before the record hit shelves. that wouldn't have been a problem if there was some sort of follow up. i personally think there are songs on the record that could have made an even greater impact on radio and seen more love on MTV than DSN with the right video. it's my understanding that many months ago, this WAS the plan. Albeit, a plan dictated to the artist and management under the guise of rule 4080. This is nothing the roots aren't use to. the difference this time being that it was coming from the horses mouth, the source of 20% of last years record sales. a much different scenerio than what the roots were used to on MCA where they were at least constantly being told the truth, which was "no." Im hearing that the same smoke screen was blown up Kweli's bum too. Obviously, I can't say that I have all the facts or know about everything that has gone on. I definitely don't. I did clear this info with roots mgngmnt many weeks ago but just never got around to posting it amidst the many questions we've seen about who picked the first single and what the second single is gonna be, etc.

while im at it. to answer a question posed by okp habits a while back. no existing beats were played for black thought when he went to visit Scott Storch. the beats were for DSN and Duck Down (and at least one other) were made on the spot in BTs presence. habits had asked how many beats black heard before deciding on the ones that ulimately made the record ... perhaps as opposed to a beat like "lean back" which had fat joe and terror squad at the top of the charts (but hasnt sold them shit for records.) so there ya go.

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

AquaBoogie
Member since Feb 28th 2003
3478 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 03:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
14. "More or less what I thought."
In response to Reply # 13

Just wanted to see if I was pluging in the right assumptions in the right places.

joeLFG
Member since Nov 03rd 2004
454 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 07:22 AM

17. "not hearing your own beats..."

that's wack if BT didn't hear any of the beats. I think that's pretty important to the music making process to have the MC collaborating and giving input on what he's rhyming over.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 10:04 AM

18. "thats not what i said."
In response to Reply # 17

BT was there when ST made the beats. he wrote to them as ST was making them on the spot. the question i was responding too was "how man beats did he hear before decided on DSN and Duck Down" ... answer being, none. he wasnt played beats. they were made fresh.

octogon

Fri Aug-20-04 10:41 AM

20. "Maybe you can answer this then..."
In response to Reply # 18

...I know ST was an original Roots member so I know why the association still exists. But why don't the Roots take Dilla beats, too? He's only got one album track to date and I've always wondered why there aren't more.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:24 PM

31. "i cant answer that"
In response to Reply # 20

but i can say that this last roots record is very camp oriented. roots camp of today, anyway. im pretty sure this was done purposefully. what other hip hop acts are doing everything themselves? im sure there are some good answers for that. it also doesnt hurt that scott is considered camp.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun Aug-22-04 11:08 PM

46. "scott is considered camp??"
In response to Reply # 31

not that there's anything wrong with that (c) jerry seinfeld

shock

q
Charter member
205 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:21 AM

23. "RE: not hearing your own beats..."
In response to Reply # 17

so than is he that low on the Totem pole that he is getting herbed by his ex-keyboard player????? That is so sad. And, if Lean back ain't selling records for TS, I'd hate to see what TTP is selling, considering Lean Back gets 3000000000000 times more love than DSN. As crazy as it seems, I'm not even trying to hate.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:27 PM

33. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 23

??? i have no clue where you get this from, herbed? Scott probably made the lean back beat with Fat Joe in the room too. its not like he keeps a treasure chest of beats and only breaks them out for certain people.

the fact that TTP is selling more than Terror Squad when TS has had the big hit is a huge testament to the staying power of The Roots, who are still extremely relevant and successfull while never having gone platinum

q
Charter member
205 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:17 AM

22. "RE: im sayin' ... DSN alone"

oh nooooooo!!! more EXCUSES for why the Roots don't sell tons of records!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ughhhhhh I can't take it.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 06:06 AM

15. "GODDAMMIT I TOLD YALL!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

There were certain folks on here trying to say that nobody EVER said that Jimmy told The Roots that they had the label's full support, that Jimmy was promisiing a hit...etc etc.....

There you go. With that said...

If the album's already 300,000.....dammit plat can happen. Fuck the label. Go the Kanye route. Duck Down is next. Crack gold then bide your time until Stay Cool for late spring.

comment
Charter member
2828 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 07:07 AM

16. "RE: GODDAMMIT I TOLD YALL!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

What is the Kanye route?

DJ Contact
Member since Oct 21st 2003
27857 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:11 AM

21. "Kanye pays for his own videos"
In response to Reply # 16

The Roc don't co-sign hardly nothin Kanye puts out, he promotes his self.

"You post like you look your barber in the eyes when he lines you up."

http://twitter.com/semiautomatic_C
PSN ID: killacontact_71

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 12:42 PM

29. "ding ding ding."
In response to Reply # 21

Through the Wire? Dame was like "HELL NAW." It became a HIT. Kanye put it out, Kanye paid for the vid.

I know The Roots don't have Kanye money (at least I think I know), but something could be done in the vein of the great Kanye. (semi-sarcastic)

LiquidSwords3000
Member since Feb 26th 2004
11123 posts
Fri Aug-27-04 06:33 PM

51. "All it took was $30 g's"
In response to Reply # 29

...for Kanye to put together the Through The Wire video. So, if each member chipped in like, $8 g's???

Dreams do come true....(on a side note, I met Justin Guarini @ the mall the other day. told him cutting the fro was bad for his marketing. he got offended and said he was "so fuckin glad to cut it" ....had me giggling like Ali G)

~~~Tron~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"As someone who beat the odds, and as a musician who gave up the truth. My music ain't no contrived bullshit. It ain't no sci-fi shit. It's the real fuckin' deal." -Rick James R.I.P.

In *iPod* Rotation:

The Roots - The Tipping Point
Biggie Smalls - Ready To Die
Marvin Gaye - I Want You
Kanye West - College Dropout
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Beastie Boys - To The 5 Boroughs
Wu Tang - Enter The 36 Chambers
Ghostface - Ironman

"Trees for breakfast, dime sexes and Benz stretches." -Nas

"So for you lame cats tryin to get a hit out, try rockin back and forth.....it might be easier to get ya shit out." -Skillz

"Excuse me, flows just grow through me. Like trees to branches, cliffs to avalanches, it's the praying mantis. Deep like the mind of Farrakhan, a motherfuckin rap phenomenon." -Biggie

"You should retire, get that complimentary watch and be out!" -Talib Kweli

"Fat titties turn to teardrops as fat ass turns to flab. Sores that was open wounds eventually turn to scab. Trees bright and green turn yellow brown, Autumn caught 'em. See all them leaves must fall down, growin' old." -Andre 3000

"I hate Kobe Bryant. so, to number 8. You fake cosigning to shaq, never been MVP, finals MVP, ticky tack foul drawing, overrated D having, brandy prom taking, jumpshot shooting, not better than MJ, quasi-best player in the league, MJ wannabe, arrogant, wack rapping, no pre-nup having, white girl sodomizing, stupid post-bust arm tatooing, $4 million dollar "im sorry" not including 5 digit shopping sprees, bout to get acquited, vanessa making you cut yo stupid ass fro, most boo'd and hated hometown all star MVP, ice buying, sprite endorsement losing, Italian speaking, Fake ass Philly nigga, hurache wearing, soon to be LeBron's bitch, game 5 win guarenteeing lying fuck, headed to Memphis ass-nigga! Fuck you!" -OKP Money Man (I threw some gems in there though)

~~~riedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JillFine

Fri Aug-20-04 10:31 AM

19. "Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 0

Its not selling well becuase its not very good. If the Roots want the big numbers they need to pull out a great album with a great singles. Look at Kanyes album.

q
Charter member
205 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:25 AM

24. "RE: Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 19

it reminds me of the Red and Mef album, STALE. They wrote that on their tourbus over the course of a tour. Sounds like TTP was written and recorded on 1 flight back from Japan.

JillFine

Fri Aug-20-04 11:29 AM

25. "RE: Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 24

no doubt.
I dont know what they do in the studio with all this time. I bet they dick around for 7 months, and make the album in a week. Sounds like me in highschool.

q
Charter member
205 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:37 AM

26. "RE: Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 25

they wouldn't want to piss of the white people who don't listen to rap except for The Roots. They eat off of those fools. I can't be mad at paying the bills. So they can't make an album that "urban". I think Illadelph was their weakest seller, and most urban. Nothing against white people, I'm half white myself. I'm just stating a fact.

JillFine

Fri Aug-20-04 11:58 AM

28. "RE: Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 26

I think its the other way around. I think they tryed so hard to sound "urban" on this record that it just came out contrived. They go for an audience who will never like thier records. Thats why I respect the Peas. They know who thier audience is, who thier audience isnt, they make albums acordingly.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:35 PM

35. "you and q just talk amongst yourselves"
In response to Reply # 28
Fri Aug-20-04 01:47 PM

yeah, the peas REALLY "know who their audience is, who their audience isnt, they make albums acordingly." i guess this is why their last record was placed in the pop category for the first time in their carreers and Will can be quoted as saying that he hoped it didnt land them in limbo where old fans disowned them and new fans didn't stick. fortunately for them, it stuck with the new fans, the teeny boppers ... their new demo.

as for q, q is simply mis/non-informed with his remarks as clearly demonstrated in post #23 of this thread. TTP is outselling TS

q
Charter member
205 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 03:17 PM

36. "RE: you and q just talk amongst yourselves"
In response to Reply # 35

How on Earth am I misinformed?? I said that Lean Back gets 30000000000000 times more love Than DSN. That is as true as true can be!! Most people have memorized all 3 verses to Lean Back by now!!! DSN is not even in the same ball park!!!! Album sales might be a different story. I never claimed to know what the exact figures are. I don't have thousands of $$ to have Soundscan access at the crib. No one seems to want to give out those numbers????? I do see your point about SS making beats on the spot. That explains why that beat wouldn't be presented to BT. I think Duck Down, and DSN are the 2 best songs on the album. I wish SS produced the ENTIRE Roots album.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 03:38 PM

37. "album sales are what this whole thread is about"
In response to Reply # 36

the roots' latest album has outsold the terror squad album, even though TS has the bigger radio hit.
____

Please vote this year. Thanks.

Freedom Writer EP still available at Capital City Records (10th and U NW) and Brian McKenzie Infoshop (9th and P NW), for those who live in DC and/or give a fuck (ha).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

pistolpete
Member since Dec 15th 2002
1522 posts
Fri Aug-27-04 08:36 PM

52. "RE: you and q just talk amongst yourselves"
In response to Reply # 36

that's why those two tracks are on the album...to get out to people like you who hear the music, but don't listen...

------------------------------

maybe i'm laughing my way to disaster...

me5000
Member since Dec 13th 2002
707 posts
Sat Aug-21-04 09:56 AM

42. "RE: Did people ever think that..."
In response to Reply # 28

good point/.

man once an artist has white ppls attention as fans its almost like money in the bank. but negroes?? thats completely different, an cat might make one song that gets fam reunion bbq or club play and thats it. black ppl got to like you from the jump. if not or if you can't make any drastic changes, forget it.

(like my man q) i should know I'm 2 halves black.

I think I'm being downsized.
All of the job functions that I was hired for are done overseas. And my managers aren't including me in group e-mails. Also, I haven't received my paycheck in the last month and a half.

??????

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 11:38 AM

27. "damn"

you suck.

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:25 PM

32. "fuck a kanye and your ignant ass"

mainstream does NOT Dictate what a quality album is. Not At All. look at all the wak acts that are multiplatinum in all genres. Would you not say that Illadelph was a quality album? when it sold squat?

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 06:15 PM

39. "well,well,well...WHALEBOY IS BACK !"
Fri Aug-20-04 06:18 PM

i thought ?uest told you to leave....

JillFine

Sun Aug-22-04 10:23 AM

44. "*whips penis out*"
In response to Reply # 39

If you want all you have to do is ask baby.

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Wed Aug-25-04 09:11 AM

48. "*whips out magnifying glass*"
In response to Reply # 44
Wed Aug-25-04 09:24 AM

have you seen a doctor for that ?

yikes.

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Wed Aug-25-04 10:25 AM

49. "lol"
In response to Reply # 48

rough.

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Wed Aug-25-04 06:10 PM

50. "truth hurts"
In response to Reply # 49

mwhahahahahaha

pistolpete
Member since Dec 15th 2002
1522 posts
Fri Aug-27-04 08:39 PM

53. "lol nm"
In response to Reply # 48

------------------------------

maybe i'm laughing my way to disaster...

auhlixer999
Member since Jan 24th 2004
3003 posts
Sat Aug-21-04 04:19 AM

40. "RE: yup TTP takes too long to grow on you"

Waiting 4:
Hezekiah - Hurry Up + Wait
Sa-Ra - TBA
Jill Scott - Beautifully Human
Common - Be
Talib Kweli - Beautiful Struggle
Alchemist - 1st Infantry

In Rotation:
George Levin - In My Car (Spinna Mix)
Fertile Ground - Live In The Light
Phil Asher - Wha Blo Fea. Kaidi Tatham
Freeq Unique - Mind & soul 12"
Dj Mitsu - Rendezvous Feat. Mard De
Clive Lowe

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
R.I.P. James Dilla Yancey
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

WhiteSoulVKF
Member since Jan 28th 2004
517 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:19 PM

30. "Single?"
In response to Reply # 0

So wait....are you saying that there will not be a second single? Is that what folks are saying in here? That an album that started out as solid as this one did selling that Geffen isn't going to release a second single?

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 01:30 PM

34. "no, thats not what is being said"
In response to Reply # 30

n/m

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Aug-20-04 03:42 PM

38. "300,000 in four weeks is good"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-20-04 03:43 PM

there are a bunch of acts out there that can't get to 300,000 in a year. you want to talk about poor promotion? look at devin's album, for god's sake.

people have to learn to put things in perspective. the roots have always been more of a slow-burn type of act. I remember when Phrenology came out, when it started dropping down the charts people acted like it wouldn't even go gold around here, the "The Seed" hit rock radio and they pulled it out (not to the ever elusive platinum, but still respectable).

when they get a second single and a tour is in place, they will get to gold status and a solid third single and some well-placed TV performances might get them over the hump to plat. It can still happen.
____

Please vote this year. Thanks.

Freedom Writer EP still available at Capital City Records (10th and U NW) and Brian McKenzie Infoshop (9th and P NW), for those who live in DC and/or give a fuck (ha).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Bialy
Charter member
351 posts
Sat Aug-21-04 08:37 AM

41. "RE: 300,000 in four weeks is good"
In response to Reply # 38

I think if they could already have 300,000 off of DSN, they can probably get at least those #s off of every other single. I know your first few weeks all the core fans buy the album, etc... But, I think there are stronger singles, more radio friendly songs on the album that will sell some records if they start to actually push them. If they put out 2 more singles and start selling that could push them over the platinum mark, or if they are that close maybe they could release a 4th single.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Sat Aug-21-04 01:27 PM

43. "262,400"
In response to Reply # 0

As of late Friday, anyway.

neehiii
Member since Dec 14th 2002
1109 posts
Sun Aug-22-04 11:42 AM

45. "wow, thought"
In response to Reply # 43

they were up w/more than 260.0

Just sayin

Mentally universal.
Physically eternal.
The beautifull part of this?
WE are.

Happiness is a DECISION one
makes.

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Wed Aug-25-04 09:02 AM

47. "up"
In response to Reply # 43

for people who keep asking

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #2645 Previous topic | Next topic