Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26216

Subject: "Does anyone else think that Common is getting too much attention?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
asd5

Thu Mar-09-00 08:23 PM

"Does anyone else think that Common is getting too much attention?"

I have deep faith that Common will handle his success properly, but I know what happens when Mc's get too much play. Look at the Root's now there the best live hip-hop group around but their music has gotten weaker and weaker the more successful they get, it's sad and way too often true. So I pray to God that Common won't fall prey to this hip-hop disease. It will probably never happen so what do you think?<P>p.s. does it get any better than resurrection?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What attention?
micah
Mar 09th 2000
micah I'll make myself more clear o.k.?
asd5
Mar 09th 2000
damn people!!!
Mar 10th 2000
Is there such a thing as too much attention for DESERVING artists?
AlX
Mar 09th 2000
Common reaching MTV status would be sad.
asd5
Mar 09th 2000
Hold up..I like my MTV..
Mar 10th 2000
What the FUCK?????
Mar 10th 2000
you got me
Mar 10th 2000
I have to clear out this shit one more time.
asd5
Mar 09th 2000
      You may have missed my point
AlX
Mar 09th 2000
love is hate...
Mar 10th 2000
TESTIFY!!!!!!!
Mar 10th 2000
What? where is all this comming from?
asd5
Mar 10th 2000
      why not?
Mar 10th 2000
      The problem with DMX isn't MTV
Mar 10th 2000
           DMX
Mar 10th 2000
                the thing with dmx...
Mar 10th 2000
Leave Common alone!!
Mar 10th 2000
help......me feelin weak (lol)
Mar 10th 2000
React, Respond
homebro
Mar 10th 2000
Common?
Mar 10th 2000
NBH's
Mar 10th 2000
What is an artist to do?
Blash
Mar 10th 2000
asd5
Krutch
Mar 10th 2000
You're just a fuckin retard... no 2 ways about it
illegit
Mar 10th 2000
i CAN'T believe...
Mar 10th 2000
uh
Mar 10th 2000
Stop the MADNESS!!!
Inet_Alias
Mar 10th 2000
Go to school
Mar 10th 2000
one day i was...
Mar 10th 2000

micah

Thu Mar-09-00 09:07 PM

1. "What attention?"
In response to Reply # 0

You make it sound like "Sixth Sense" is blowing up the airwaves. I have yet to hear it once on the radio or see the video. I mean, clearly, for his skill level and personality on the mic, the man should be getting WAY more attention than he is. Whether or not a little airplay will turn Common Sense into Com Escobar remains to be seen.<P>Unfortunately, I don't think there are any radio hits on his new album though. Maybe "Dooinit", but the rest is either too laid back or too conscious for the radio. That's not to say the album isn't good, cause "Illmatic" didn't really have any radio hits either. As much as LWFC sounds like Voodoo, he shoulda just did a "hit" with D'Angelo (a la You Got Me) and been done with it. And how much of a shame is it that he put out the single with Lauryn about a year *before* she did her Grammy thing and blew the EFF up? (I mean, she was big with the Fugees, but after her album dropped EVERYBODY was on Lauryn Hill). If Retrospective For Life was on LWFC and had been released this year, it would have gone gold easy.<P><BR>---------------------------<BR>"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."<BR>- unknown<P>"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."<BR>- nathaniel hawthorne<P>"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..." <BR>- nasir jones

asd5

Thu Mar-09-00 09:25 PM

3. "micah I'll make myself more clear o.k.?"
In response to Reply # 1

Now I do agree with what you said, but I meant that I sense that Common is reaching a comercialized state and that is what i'm worried about. And so I asked fellow fans if they think the same. So you made a good point but you took it furthere than I meant it. peace.<P>p.s. email me and keep it peaceful cuz i'm down with any Common fan ok (Doc_Logic@hotmail.com)

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "damn people!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

yo....can the man express his opinion??? I mean, ya'll like he's a retard and such, what up with that??

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

AlX

Thu Mar-09-00 09:21 PM

2. "Is there such a thing as too much attention for DESERVING artists?"
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly, would you rather have Common get hype or DMX? Obviously, D can't get any more commercial and Common has a LONG way to go before he approaches the status of MTV darling. Is it really such a bad thing that artists like the Roots and Common are finally getting some exposure to more mainstream audiences? <BR>Sure they may have to churn out a few more commercially accessible tracks, but the bulk of their discs keep it real for the OKP faithful. <P>Maybe, just maybe, the mainstream kids will step up to meet the standards of TRUE hip hop than have the artists step down to the deluded hook-happy mainstream. <P>As for the roots steadily declining, I doubt that opinion is as widespread as you think. Even Illadelph Halflife, which went down the more conventional sampling route, was classic material in my opinion. I think the Roots have evolved as a group and they've gotten better and more focused over time. <P>Don't be jealous because The Roots and Common are no longer our hidden treasures. I'd like to think that if you shine as bright as them, eventually their light will pierce through the fog of mainstream culture. <P>peace<BR>-Al X<BR>

asd5

Thu Mar-09-00 09:32 PM

4. "Common reaching MTV status would be sad."
In response to Reply # 2

MTV the sell out network, only the phony. A network based on hard rock video's that woul'dnt even allow hip-hop video's untill RunDmc featured arrowsmith. It's also designed for mandy moore and the nsync type of shit. And it would be wrong for hip-hop fans to be into that type of commercialized bullshit.

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Hold up..I like my MTV.."
In response to Reply # 4

>MTV the sell out network, only the <BR>>phony. A network based on hard <BR>>rock video's that woul'dnt even allow <BR>>hip-hop video's untill RunDmc featured arrowsmith. <BR>>It's also designed for mandy moore <BR>>and the nsync type of shit. <BR>>And it would be wrong for <BR>>hip-hop fans to be into that <BR>>type of commercialized bullshit. <P> I definitely don't agree...there is nothing wrong with commercialization. Artists need to make money just like everyone else. Commercialization=$$$$$. I've watched MTV since day one and it seems to me that they've always been committed to playing all types of music..not just top 40 but hip-hop, techno, salsa, rock, alternative, whatever. You can't play everybody but they have kept and entire generation on top of the ever changing music scene. I'm not nor have I ever worked for MTV, but the simple fact is videos sell records. And if Common's video plays on MTV that means more money and exposure for him. (eventually, hopefully)<P>Damali<P>Yo Whoever grabs the mic after me will get booed! <BR>Get everything in the club thrown at you and you crew! <BR>From Moet bottles to barstools<BR>Fruits and food<BR>You got an album out?<BR>You get hit with your CD too!-Canibus

Apostle
Charter member
4683 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "What the FUCK?????"
In response to Reply # 4

i really don't understand what you're saying about MTV. I know that 90% of the material they play is commercial, but do you think that they play "real artists" in other genres of music. That was real narrow minded to say, about rock music, and also that Hip Hop lover can't like ROCK??? MTV doesn't keep Radiohead(my opinion best band in the world) in constant roatation, nor do they play Pj Harvey, or Portishead. These artists are considered real artists in thier genres of music. MTV serves it's purpose and is in the market to exploit it and make money. I'm not hating MTV. Hip Hop fans can like what ever they weant besides hip hop, just cuz you are a fan of an artist doesn't mean you have be ready to live and die for thier shit yo...people will like what they want, can't they do that?<P>peace, Apostle Jahbryll<P><P>"I'd like to have a say on the income tax/don't want to help build bombs and that's the facts/no money for health care, so what's the catch/the man's got you locked with the key to the latch." Ad Rock of the Beastie Boys<P><P>

http://twitter.com/jahbryllionaire

DROkayplayer™

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 02:31 PM

29. "you got me"
In response to Reply # 4

I talk to brothers and sisters all the time who sit and lament the co-opting (is that a word?) of our music, hip hop...that being said, WHY CANT WE JUST LOVE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE PAID??? that they are making it, that the music the make is going beyond the narrow confines of us, and into the realm of them?? We here in America have to deal with enormous obsticles (i think i spelled both preceding words wrong) the old saying we got to work twice as hard to get half as much...yet we still end up doing it anyway, despite the bullshit!! I remember when Run and nem had Aerosmith on the video, and I remember thinking, wtf...and then the doors started coming down for all of us...now DMX can play his thug stage role all over the place and little white kids in Kansas think its cool....which is another topic (that I'm totally against by the way) my line is love the brothers and sisters for what they are, you aint gotta like it, but you gotta respect it...<P>love is...<P>Bin<P>oh yeah, not meaning to dis anyone, so dont get aggro, aite?

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

asd5

Thu Mar-09-00 09:51 PM

5. "I have to clear out this shit one more time."
In response to Reply # 2

To the last reply, I think Common deserve's any type of success. I believe that all those trendy ass poser's who hear it will be wearing his t-shirts and will say "have you heard this new guy Common?" that kind of shit i've seen too many times, and I hate it. So maybe you need to see this type of scenario yourself to really understand whatI mean. These asshole's don't even hear those amazing lyric's that Common invest his soul into and those lyric's I hear and appreciate and love. I can't stand to see an artist not be appreciated. That's why there's this thing called underground music kiddie's= no sell out's! peace.

AlX

Thu Mar-09-00 10:13 PM

6. "You may have missed my point"
In response to Reply # 5

Without a doubt, there are gonna be kids that buy the album, put it on repeat for 2 weeks and still never really listen to it. But you're neglecting the fact that by reaching new audiences this music has the ability to touch the lives of ppl who never would've been exposed to it otherwise. <P>Stayin underground's nice if you're selling crack on the side, but these ppl got to support themselves and their families. At this level, it's a business. <P>Plus, who said hip hop has to be exclusive rather than inclusive? If we keep making the circle smaller and smaller, nobody will be "qualified" to listen to it except the ppl who make it. Since when do you need to know an artist's life story to be able to enjoy their gift? Maybe this will prompt these trendy kids to scratch underneath the surface and learn more about hip hop. We all had to start somewhere, after all.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 03:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "love is hate..."
In response to Reply # 0

you are the epitome of a garbage fan -- the type of "supporter" who actually hopes that the artist you enjoy does not achieve financial and commercial success. that, my friend, is despicable. i guess since you have the album via MP3, you won't be purchasing the album because that could bring common money and/or attention. <P>do you have such little regard for common that you feel that success would change him? or are you so selfish that you don't want to relinquish common to the masses because that would somehow dillute your personal claims to being a "true" hiphop fan?<P>either way, you're a sucker. with "fans" like you, who needs enemies?<P><BR>you better bring me some muthafuckin' cognac or i'll kill you -- supherb<P>words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking -- john maynard keynes

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:00 AM

9. "TESTIFY!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Garbage fan indeed. You seem to be one of those cats that equates lack of notoriety with being good. Sorry my man. You can shit on MTV all you want (I have fun doing that too) but even Jay-Z at his most commercial rhymes better than a ton of these so called true cats that get no airplay.<P>And the Roots have gotten weaker and weaker? Please! That's your opinion my man. Musically speaking, the Roots have gotten superior with each album. The musicianship on DYWM and Things Fall Apart cannot be compared.<P>And Common's getting too commercialized? What does tha mean? So if, and I doubt it will happen, more than five people outside your crew know who a rapper is they become commercial adn weak? <P>Damn have you even heard LWFC? It's a very different album but a very good album. Why some cats refuse to let people grow is besides me? <P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

asd5

Fri Mar-10-00 05:10 AM

10. "What? where is all this comming from?"
In response to Reply # 7

I posted a question, that is it. Why are people going off on me i am just a dedicated fan, who is being forced to explain himself too many times it's all about peace to me, so relax and listen to what I need to say. first off, you all need to know that I do want Common to be successful why the fuck would'nt I? Seriously, I practically love the guy. I just don't want to see his music fall victim to a DMX type of popularity, it should be obvious why look what happend to his music after he blew up, a bunch ofwhite wannabe G's thumpin his beats around town actin bad. So that's my final point, so go play some quake3 and release some of that aggression.(note that I did'nt attack anyone, I must be growing up?)

bfnh
Charter member
35708 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:47 AM

15. "why not?"
In response to Reply # 10

>I practically love the guy. <BR>><BR>see, that's weird as shit dude. all this love is hate my friend. when you love a girl, you don't want to pass the cootie cat to everybody on the block. this love shit is weird. cause i don't love a single soul i don't KNOW.<P>>I <BR>>just don't want to see his <BR>>music fall victim to a DMX <BR>>type of popularity, it should be <BR>>obvious why look what happend to <BR>>his music after he blew up, <BR>>a bunch ofwhite wannabe G's thumpin <BR>>his beats around town actin bad. <BR>><BR>who the fuck cares who plays his music? <BR>step 1 - remove head from ass<BR>step 2 - realize that good is good within one's own opinion<BR>step 3 - replace head in ass because you didn't pay attention to step 2<P><BR>>So that's my final point, so <BR>>go play some quake3 and release <BR>>some of that aggression.(note that I <BR>>did'nt attack anyone, I must be <BR>>growing up?) <BR>><BR>actually, half-life is a much better game. fyi<P>_______________________________________<BR><a href="http://www.h8r.com/diallo" target="_blank">http://www.h8r.com/diallo<;/a>

--
http://at.yamomzcrib.com </3 http://yourmomisclubbin.com </3 http://hoesinthesameclothes.tumblr.com

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:52 AM

16. "The problem with DMX isn't MTV"
In response to Reply # 10

His problem, IMHO, is that he's pretty dull and everything sounds the damn same to me. If he was putting out music I liked I wouldn't care that he was on MTV. I never liked DMX and thought most of his album sounded liek the same damn song.<P>Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the motherfucker upside the head...

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:56 AM

17. "DMX"
In response to Reply # 16

needs to go ahead and give his life to Christ, cause he got preacher written all over him. The same way Mase did. <P>WOOF! WOOF!<P>BLING! BLING!<P>I AM BLACK MUSIC <P>"You Louisiana but I'm Texas Pete" - Miracle<P>"Don't be lonely, you're not the only one who's heart's been broken too" - Cameo<P>"I imagine my heart with you, see what imagination it can do." - EarthWind&Fire<P>"Thoughts of pretty you & me, erotic city come alive" - Prince<P>"You can't fade me!" - Ice Cube<P>"Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash!" - My Mommy

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

koan
Charter member
2808 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 06:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "the thing with dmx..."
In response to Reply # 17

...is that exposure didn't really change him all that much... he's still spittin' the elementary cartoonish commercial thug shit he was from day one... his music wasn't watered down with it's introduction to white suburban youth... it's always been meant to be that way... that's what he's there for...<BR>...all the thug posturing in the world won't change the fact that most of the kids that sent x's three albums platinum are li'l white kids from idaho or somethin', y'know?<BR>...<BR>...but i don' think fame would change comm all that much, really... i think the man's prob'ly ready and hungry for it... he's paid his dues, having released several beautiful albums in the past... so he's well deserving...<BR>...and the roots??<BR>...yo man, fuck the roots...<P><BR>...hehe... just kidding... i think the roots continue to get better as they go along... and i can't wait for the next album...<BR>-kevin<P><BR>"without awareness, there is no life... only activity"

~~~~~

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 03:34 AM

8. "Leave Common alone!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Its only right for him to get attention cuz' kats is makin one album and gettin rich.....Common has put out nuff quality albums and they recieved only minor attention.<BR>Common ROOTS BlackStar ect are ressurecting hip-hop.......it is there time to shine......so kats need to put on the sun glasses cuz the glare is blinding!!<P><P><P><BR>"what part of the game is that?" my Boop!<P>"dancin wit Blanche and them bitches" Ghostface<P><BR>"think I'll get a bean pie and a 40" Suburban Mom<P>Smutometrist Nebtastic<P><BR>T.O.P.A Head of Security<P><BR>" E El Isum Shil El Eloh El Rahmun, Alazi Izu El Rahummul!"<BR> <BR>

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:14 AM

11. "help......me feelin weak (lol)"
In response to Reply # 0

wow with friends like you........<P><P><P><P><P><BR>THE SOULQUARIANS<BR>chewy (quest).....jan<BR>luke (d)........feb <BR>lando (jaydee)......feb<BR>cp30 (james poyser).....jan<BR>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan<BR>hans (chaos)........jan<BR>anakin (lil mike)......feb<P>honorary members:<BR>kelo- soulacorn.......jan<BR>common- soulcies......march<BR>erykah- soulcies......feb<BR>zack- soulicorn.......feb<P>(AFTER SEEING MY PERFORMANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME, MY IDOL STEVE FERRONE EMAILED ME THIS LETTER.....)<P>Opening fill from "person to person". ....... $100.00<BR>Cute fill betwween hi hat, bass drum and snare ....... $1500.00<BR>Horn line from "Love Your Life" ..... $10,000.35<BR>Breakfast with Ferrone.... Gratis<P>The reason you are being charged for the horn line is that it was probably your idea to use it!<P>You da man! Great show! Really nice pocket! Call or e-mail sometime, and take care out there.<BR>818-***-****<P>God Bless,<P>Stephen Ferrone.<BR>

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

homebro

Fri Mar-10-00 01:07 PM

28. "React, Respond"
In response to Reply # 11

HoMeBrO SaYs With friends like these who needs enemies.<P>The Roots getting worse after each new album? If that's the case then why should they make any new albums, and ruin thier reputation?<P>The roots are sonic now, clean the wax out of your ears, listen to your things fall apart album.<BR>The roots improve each time with each new album.<P>Common,always will be flipping between thug, and priest frame of mind, hahaha, its hard for him to stray away from that path. <P><P><BR>

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:17 AM

12. "Common?"
In response to Reply # 0

Who's that?<P>BLING! BLING!<P>I AM BLACK MUSIC <P>"You Louisiana but I'm Texas Pete" - Miracle<P>"Don't be lonely, you're not the only one who's heart's been broken too" - Cameo<P>"I imagine my heart with you, see what imagination it can do." - EarthWind&Fire<P>"Thoughts of pretty you & me, erotic city come alive" - Prince<P>"You can't fade me!" - Ice Cube<P>"Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash!" - My Mommy

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Zeon
Charter member
167 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 05:23 AM

13. "NBH's"
In response to Reply # 0

I definately agree with Guiness. Futhermore if you feel the Roots are becoming weaker,you're entitled to your your opinion. But are they realy weaker or is your mind becoming more and more jaded the more successful they get. Some people are just NBH's (Natural Born Haters).If you truely feel that way then you should have given some examples otherwise this post is just another ignorant and selfish underground vs. mainstream post. <P>"If the rain doesn't fall, corn does not grow."<BR> ---Yoruba Proverb

Blash

Fri Mar-10-00 06:19 AM

18. "What is an artist to do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Why is it that when an artist puts together an album that is almost perfect throughout, and is appealing to the masses, everyone gets nervous about the artist getting too much play and making subpar music?

Krutch

Fri Mar-10-00 07:32 AM

20. "asd5"
In response to Reply # 0

You are getting called out on this shit BECAUSE you are making the same ridiculous points that many others have made on this board. You want to keep shit underground huh? Is that how it is?? Well I say this... if there's a kid who has never heard the roots, never heard common, never heard mos def, jazzies, or even incubus or third eye blind (yeah steve, i said it)... and i play it... and they like it... then fuck, i've done my job!!! The Roots have provided me with hours and hours of entertainment throughout the years... and my $15 a CD and $20-25 a show is not gonna put all that much money in their pockets. It's not about money??? It's all about the love for music?? It's about both... if an artist is gonna bless us with another album.... they need money to record it... Kelo,Bob Power and Axel Niehaus need to get paid too (engineers)... studios need to be paid for, etc. <BR>That's why i'm on the Street Team... I want other hip hop fans and people who love music (MUCH LOVE TO ALL THE HIPPY CATS THAT DIG THE ROOTS!!!!!! I FUCKIN' SAID IT!!!) to get opened up to this shit. I was lucky enough to get into The Roots when DYWM came out, but does that make me anymore of a fan then the chick who went to a show at her college for something to do... and absolutley lost it... had the best time of her life... went out and bought all the albums... and now posts on this site??? Nah, i'm not. I wanna be down with her... and talk about how ill the show was. that's all... the roots aren't my personal band... and common isn't your personal emcee... and sorry to say... from what com i've heard now... it's NOT a decline from "Can I Borrow a Dollar?" <P>my token long post reply for the week.<P>(((krutch)))(((2000)))<P>

illegit

Fri Mar-10-00 08:34 AM

21. "You're just a fuckin retard... no 2 ways about it"
In response to Reply # 0

You're still stuck on some 'once people get famous, they get wack' shit. That is A) a fallacy, and B) played the fuck out. Kill it. The Roots are just as good as they ever were.<P>And on top of that Comm is getting NO ATTENTION.. what are you talking about? Attention from who? From us?<P>

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 09:25 AM

22. "i CAN'T believe..."
In response to Reply # 0

that the masses still succumb to these types of posts!...there's ATLEAST one once a week!..."is common really that nice?"..."does com deserve this much attention?"..."did the soulquarians do 'lwfc' any justice?"...and everyone keeps feeding in to it...i'm not trying to dis anyone specifically, but let's let sh*t develop before we begin hypothesizing like crazy...there HAS to be other topics...why don't we all wait and LISTEN to the final copy of "lwfc" on the 28th...if it's commercially accepted and he blows up, than that's love...but let's let that nigga "blow up" before we worry about him getting big-headed...he hasn't even gone gold yet?

OTS
Charter member
1970 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 09:27 AM

23. "uh"
In response to Reply # 0

good thing u told me, cause i wouldnt have known that the roots have fallen off (huh?), although things fall apart wasn't as tight as illadelph they still bringin it. and of course com will continue to as well.<P>peace<P>"The turn of the century, the planet's like a penitentiary<BR>exaggerated, niggaz is livin highly medicated<BR>I Used to Love H.E.R. but now she violated" - Black Thought

Inet_Alias

Fri Mar-10-00 10:00 AM

24. "Stop the MADNESS!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you kidding me??? What do you mean "The Roots have gotten weaker and weaker"? You're either (1) listening to a hip-hop group OTHER THAN The Roots, or (2) having a hard time comprehending what REAL hip-hop music is all about. <P>I can't even say that Black Thought's lyrics improved since their first album, because he's ALWAYS been ILL as hell! Not only him, but EVERY emcee who puts it down with them comes ill! You can't be trying to say that their live instrumentals have gotten "weaker" because that's the main ingredient that makes this group as untouchable as they are. So, umm....what were you TRYING to say? <P>I don't mean to diss you, but if you're going to make comments like that, PLEASE back them up with some VALID points. That's all I'm asking.<P>Peace!<P>*Inet*..."Ms. Alias" to you

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 11:29 AM

25. "Go to school"
In response to Reply # 0

Not only is Common not getting too much exposure, but what the fuck you talking about the roots getting weaker. I respect you having an opinion, but I sure don't respect that opinion.<P>You better learn what hip hop is son.

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Fri Mar-10-00 11:38 AM

26. "one day i was..."
In response to Reply # 0

at the blackstar/krs show at ucla and mos def was performing then all of a sudden i see a hairpick in the shadows and i'm thinkin' ...'naw..it can't be'...and it was...He. ?uestlove bearin' a big ass green COMMON flag and common's big flashy smile. <BR>and i was in shock for 5 seconds- i could not scream nor shout outloud- and without knowing it my feet started to run towards the stage and jump up and down and i just knew...that this night...will go down in my book as one of my favorite shows (despite the fact i threw up cuz some idiot elbowed me straight in the stomach). and the funny thing was when they said 'okayplayer' <P>some people were like 'wtf!? is that shit?' so who are you to say that they are getting too much exposure...exposure hasn't even begun yet!<P>peace,<BR>vette.<BR>___________________________<BR>got soy milk?<BR><a href="http://surf.to/parchmentpaper" target="_blank">http://surf.to/parchmentpaper<;/a><BR>"uggh..nananana...turn that sh*t off!"

<--- Still reppin' the Bay
Life. Love. Music:
http://vettievette.wordpress.com
http://sistamatikdjs.wordpress.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #26216 Previous topic | Next topic