Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25753

Subject: "Common's targets" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 06:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Common's targets"

We all know that Com calls out a few names once in a while.In doin it,he really seems to be aiming at some one, my question is who.

"Back to back lp's that sound the same"

Who do ya'll think Com was talking about?
Share yourknowledge with me if you have notice any other line that seemed to be about someone specific.

Shit is so bangin niggas say it's gang related-common

one1

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Common's targets
Supreme
Mar 30th 2000
sabotage
Mar 30th 2000
mizzcheif
Mar 31st 2000
MosCommonWhiteBoy
Mar 30th 2000
      lolololololol.......whew....lololol!!!!!!!
Mar 30th 2000
      i'll admit...
Mar 30th 2000
      RE: i'll admit...
Mar 31st 2000
           Anybody...
Mar 31st 2000
                RE: Anybody...
SqueegeeXM
Mar 31st 2000
      DMX=Hypocrite
Supreme
Mar 31st 2000
Missy
Mar 31st 2000
I can't believe you guys are debating "this" subject.
Mar 31st 2000
back to back lp's...
aphorism
Mar 31st 2000
My thoughts......
Inet_Alias
Mar 31st 2000
RE: My thoughts......
bugginout!
Mar 31st 2000
Mar 31st 2000
Apr 01st 2000
           LOL, Thanks Guys!
Inet_Alias
Apr 01st 2000
SqueegeeXM
Mar 31st 2000
Com already addressed this
Mar 31st 2000

Supreme

Thu Mar-30-00 06:31 PM

1. "RE: Common's targets"
In response to Reply # 0

The back to back thing kinda sounds like DMX. His first two albums sounded the same, I've only heard 2 songs off his latest and they sound like the first two albums. But then again, everything that DMX does sounds the same.

sabotage

Thu Mar-30-00 07:12 PM

2. "RE: Common's targets"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't think he was pointing out anyone specifically with that, but I think it was also a reference to how different LWFC sounds than his other albums, which is what some were expecting.

mizzcheif

Fri Mar-31-00 08:36 AM

13. "RE: Common's targets"
In response to Reply # 2

oh ppplleeeaassseee! defending DMX? That nigga shows up on the soul train awards and repeats the same verse 3 times. Did he write his own lyric's or was in temporary amniesia??????

MosCommonWhiteBoy

Thu Mar-30-00 07:16 PM

3. "RE: Common's targets"
In response to Reply # 1

Don't be hating on DMX, he is REAL. Just cause he is down with the ruff ryders doesn't mean shit, notice he does not appear with him and performs on a stage live by himself and tears shit up like no other rapper can, I just wish he'd get down with THE ROOTS CREW Fo something

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "lolololololol.......whew....lololol!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

You shouldn't be so sarcastic, it's not right....

"I don't care if he's rhyming to a test signal or an effin relaxation tape...it's the LYRICS!"
- dafriquan on Ras Kass

"Scooby snack jurrasic plastic gats booby trapped"
See I flipped the -ic like that, nahwamean? I don't care if ya'll don't understand what I'm saying, I'm da only nigga dat can do dat shit.
- Ghost

http://www.blickees.com
Sports | Entertainment | Gadgets | Video Games | Music

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 09:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i'll admit..."
In response to Reply # 3

i'll admit that i liked DMX for like, i don't know, a few months. but now, i just don't understand how someone can put out three albums worth of material and say absolutely NOTHING! and people love him for this? whaaaaaaa? i guess that alone speaks volumes on our society, doesn't it?

as for him being "REAL". proofread your posts because i think you forgot to type the word CRAP before you hit the "post message" button.

"like water for chocolate? what the hell is that? some new diet or something?"

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 03:13 AM

6. "RE: i'll admit..."
In response to Reply # 5

Im not going to front on ya'll.I got the first album at the crib and I think it's dope.The first one was actually original, nobody can say otherwise.Yet,after all those guest apperances when he got to the second album,I was already sick of him.He really needs to take a break and come up with some new shit now.

Shit is so bangin niggas say it's gang related-Common

One1

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 06:39 AM

7. "Anybody..."
In response to Reply # 6

Ever heard his demo tape?

That shit was made in 1992. And it was funny. heheheh... wow...

"That's DMX?" - jose3030..

http://members.xoom.com/ogando/bwphoto
"And as a special treat this evening, I have asked America's foremost young poet, to read his latest poem for us....."
"I wanna be a HO!" -- Twyla, March 19, 2000.

SqueegeeXM

Fri Mar-31-00 08:49 AM

14. "RE: Anybody..."
In response to Reply # 7

Is there a track on there called "Born Loser" about how he won spelling bees in grade school and shit?

AIM: dR sQuEeG (AOL caps style)
Homepage: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mjwillis
H.E.R.B Digital: The Movie, Soundtrack, Action Figure, Video Game, Toothpaste, Cereal, Footie Pajamas, and Underoos...coming soon.

"When you bring the truth, like, 'That nigga's feet stink,' and the nigga like, 'Oh, you gotta pardon me, but I got my socks on for like two days straight.' They go for that, more than just, 'I got five kilos in here.'" - Ghostface Killah

| Dr. Squeegee ~ still Xtra Medium for some ass |
=====================================

Supreme

Fri Mar-31-00 07:03 AM

8. "DMX=Hypocrite"
In response to Reply # 3

The thing that pisses me off about his albums is how much of a hypocrite he is. The main subject on his albums is how many people he can kill. That is wack, then he goes on to have a prayer. I don't understand how anyone can like him. His lyrics are straight plain and repetitive. And don't even get me started on his beats. To me he has absolutely no talent. I wonder what he's thinkin about when he sits down to write all his wack songs?

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 07:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Missy"
In response to Reply # 0

he says something like
"now you a bitch like Missy,back 2 back LP's that sound the same"

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy." -- a psychotic drunkard

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 07:46 AM

10. "I can't believe you guys are debating "this" subject."
In response to Reply # 0

ya'll are some funny people.

GET CRUNK!

I AM BLACK MUSIC

VOODOO IS PLATINUM PLUS!

Hell, I wouldn't do nada for a dick.. hell, what's the dick done for me? - (c)Kawright/2000

FUCK YOUR EXPECTATIONS! © -Nesta/2000

Ladies and Gentlemen this is Mint Condition V

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mintcondition/images/mintnew1.jpg

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

aphorism

Fri Mar-31-00 08:05 AM

11. "back to back lp's..."
In response to Reply # 0

one guess of who the "back to back lp's" line would have to be dmx for me. 3 albums in two years, each one worse than the last but all with the same thugged out, in your face, where my dogs at uh uh type sound. thats my opinion

to them cats they need to step back and observe where they at, brooklon veitnam, the heat is on, put your joint on cruise, try to rush and scuff your brake shoes just cruise and relax -- mos def

Inet_Alias

Fri Mar-31-00 08:19 AM

12. "My thoughts......"
In response to Reply # 0

Since he didn't get "Kurupt" and "Call out Names", I'll just break down what I got out of the cut (please excuse me if I misquote something):

In the verse you were asking about (n*ggas sounding the same), it was obvious to me that he was referring to DMX and/or Master P when he said:

"I deliver for the hungry and underprivileged/something different from these hollerin', gruntin' niggas..."

Umm, "hollerin, gruntin' niggas" sounds just like DMX (Argh, Argh!) AND Master P (Mr. gruntin' ass "Ughhhhhh" himself) to me. Not to mention that they REPEAT that shit in their "back to back LP's that sound the same". Ya dig?

He could've also been referring to people like Jay-Z when he said:

"that JIGGY shit is over/the war zone/I only wanna be a soldier/I'm holdin' on/to a culture/focused like goin' in parks/when it's sorta dark/for niggaz flooded with ice/my thought's the art/performing/warming hearts/with some shit for the heart/don't fuck with radio/ignoring the charts/I could give a FUCK what you made in a year/nigga, you WACK!/a soft nigga on a hard track/in this new rap/generation/I 'X' cats like a muslim/he fell off cause I pushed him/let his Bentley and his weak crew be his cushion/I catch him on the streets...in front of bodyguards and rush him..... Doin' it it...."

From what I'M hearing, that verse could've been a diss to Mr. Jay ("iced out" "Jiggy" who's pushin' a "Bentley" after he "made so much in a year" with his "back to back LPs that all sound the same", even though some of his "weak" lyrics are on "hard tracks") Z. Then again, that sounds like Puff, too. LOL!

The whole cut is bad, though. When I say bad, I mean good. But I'm sure you knew that, right?

Anyway, That's what I got out of the first part of the cut. If I'm wrong, sue me.

*Inet*..."Ms. Alias" to you

bugginout!

Fri Mar-31-00 04:08 PM

17. "RE: My thoughts......"
In response to Reply # 12

"Gordon Parks," not "goin' in parks." That's his photo on the cover of LWFC.

A note on the album: I hated it at first. I was thoroughly disappointed in Common. Usually, I am somewhat intrigued by very good albums, but not in love at first. This is my feeling towards most classic albums. But I've never had such a strong reaction as I did to Common. Four days later... I can't get enough.

I'm bugginout.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 05:36 PM

18. "RE: My thoughts......"
In response to Reply # 12

>it was obvious to me
>that he was referring to
>DMX and/or Master P when
>he said:
>
>"I deliver for the hungry and
>underprivileged/something different from these hollerin',
>gruntin' niggas..."
>
>Umm, "hollerin, gruntin' niggas" sounds just
>like DMX (Argh, Argh!) AND
>Master P (Mr. gruntin' ass
>"Ughhhhhh" himself) to me.

Possibly. Although Com seems to give props to P on "one Day..." when him and his man are talking about "Bout It, Bout It" during one of the "stolen moments" skits.

>He could've also been referring to
>people like Jay-Z when he
>said:
>
>"that JIGGY shit is over/the war
>zone/

"the war is on"

>I only wanna be a
>soldier/I'm holdin' on/to a culture/focused
>like goin' in parks

Gordon Parks

/when it's
>sorta dark/for niggaz flooded with
>ice/my thought's the art/performing/warming hearts/with
>some shit for the heart/

dag, did he really repeat heart? I can't remember.

don't
>fuck with radio/ignoring the charts/I
>could give a FUCK what
>you made in a year/nigga,
>you WACK!

this sounds more like Puffy, who was on the cover of Fortune or something. There was a big to-do over what Puff and P made in 98 (both made top entertainers list).

/a soft nigga on
>a hard track/

This DEFINITELY doesn't refer to Jay Z.

Also, in another track ("payback", I think), Com says something about "listening to Jigga" and in the background he says "Jiiiiiggggaaaa", which implies he's a fan of Jay Z, to me.

in this new
>rap/generation/I 'X' cats like a
>muslim/he fell off cause I
>pushed him/let his Bentley and
>his weak crew be his
>cushion/I catch him on the
>streets...in front of bodyguards and
>rush him..... Doin' it it...."

Yeah, the Bentley reference makes me think Puffy again. Com has already dissed Puffy before. i think he's clowning Puff again.

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

DC folks, watch dead prez on "Spread Love", Monday April 3rd, 10:30pm, Channel 25 District Cablevision or Channel 10 Starpower (re-airs that Friday at 9:30). It's my video show.

Peep Flo Brown the week of April 9th (on Monday and Friday, same time and channel as above)

Peep Jaguar the week of April 16th (same time as above Monday and Friday).

get the idea? the show airs twice a week, mondays and fridays. peep game.

SUPPORT DEAD PREZ, ALBUM IN STORES NOW!!

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Jason_A
Charter member
3376 posts
Sat Apr-01-00 08:17 AM

19. "RE: My thoughts......"
In response to Reply # 18

>/when it's
>>sorta dark/for niggaz flooded with
>>ice/my thought's the art/performing/warming hearts/with
>>some shit for the heart/
>
>dag, did he really repeat heart?
>I can't remember.

Actually, the line is "for niggaz flooded with ice/my thought's the ark/performing warming arts/with some shit for the heart"

---------------------
AIM: jdawgtheaggie

Atheism - a non-prophet organization

Inet_Alias

Sat Apr-01-00 08:54 AM

20. "LOL, Thanks Guys!"
In response to Reply # 19

I was listening to the CD and typing out what I THOUGHT were the lyrics after I read this question, so I wasn't listening closely when I misquoted him. Please excuse my ignant ass. LOL

Seriously, though. I know I would stay "focused" if I was walkin' thru a park when it's sorta dark. Don't slap me for that. LOL!

As far as the 'disses', maybe Com wasn't referring to Jay-Z since one of you said he's giving him props on another song, but realistically, Jay is more guilty of rappin' about "jiggy", "iced out" ish than anybody. You know? Therefore, since the question was asked as to who Com's targets would've been, I just posted the names of the people who came to mind when I thought about it. Ya dig? It's cool, though. The cut is still bangin'.

Thanks for the corrections and your other comments. (all 3 of you).

Much luv

*Inet*..."Ms. Alias" to you

SqueegeeXM

Fri Mar-31-00 08:55 AM

15. "RE: Common's targets"
In response to Reply # 0

MAN LISTEN:

I doubt the Common is dissing anyone in particular. The point of "Dooint" was to dis any and all MC's who are guilty of the things he points out in the track. The fact is, many cats in the industry today do that "hoe shit." That's the problem. He might have had someone in particular in mind while writing the lyrics, but I don't think the goal was to call someone out in particular. For each thing he lists, you can probably name at least 2 artists doing that shit.

And besides, when was the last time you heard Common mince words? As specific as Common usually gets when calling folk out, why would he switch up now?

AIM: dR sQuEeG (AOL caps style)
Homepage: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mjwillis
H.E.R.B Digital: The Movie, Soundtrack, Action Figure, Video Game, Toothpaste, Cereal, Footie Pajamas, and Underoos...coming soon.

"When you bring the truth, like, 'That nigga's feet stink,' and the nigga like, 'Oh, you gotta pardon me, but I got my socks on for like two days straight.' They go for that, more than just, 'I got five kilos in here.'" - Ghostface Killah

| Dr. Squeegee ~ still Xtra Medium for some ass |
=====================================

NSZ
Charter member
1513 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 03:33 PM

16. "Com already addressed this"
In response to Reply # 0

He said he was just shit poppin..

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25753 Previous topic | Next topic