Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25716

Subject: "LWFC - 4 mics from the Source" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 03:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"

In case you all haven't heard yet, The Source gave Common's LWFC album 4 mics .
Discuss amongst yourselves..........

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source
Mar 30th 2000
Mar 30th 2000
youngun
Mar 30th 2000
      Im sick of this shit
Mar 30th 2000
      RE: Im sick of this shit
pinoynj
Apr 01st 2000
      *cringes at watered down remark*
Mar 30th 2000
      RE: *cringes at watered down remark*
pinoynj
Apr 01st 2000
      nah, listen again
Mar 31st 2000
           Com's lyrics...
Mar 31st 2000
3 1/2 jiggies from Rolling Stone
Mar 30th 2000
RE: 3 1/2 jiggies from Rolling Stone
youngun
Mar 30th 2000
      4 mics.
Mar 30th 2000
I disagree but I'm not outraged...
micah
Mar 30th 2000
RE: I disagree but I'm not outraged...
youngun
Mar 30th 2000
I gues marketing does work...
Mar 31st 2000
WTFxSTFU
Mar 31st 2000
Mar 31st 2000
Mar 30th 2000
5 mics from the Source: for the record
Mar 30th 2000
RE: 5 mics from the Source: for the record
mr Buster
Mar 31st 2000
a
Mar 31st 2000
Mar 31st 2000
who cares
Mar 31st 2000
Mar 31st 2000
sabotage
Mar 31st 2000
That is just fantastic....
Mar 31st 2000
Midnight Marauders got 4 mics n/m
P!
Mar 31st 2000
Ain't Nothing Wrong With 4 Mics
Mar 31st 2000
I'd Go 4.5, But Not 5
Mar 31st 2000
Out of 5...
Apr 01st 2000
RE: LWFC - 4.5 mics from HipHopSite
Nahum
Apr 01st 2000
RE: LWFC - 4.5 mics from HipHopSite
sabotage
Apr 01st 2000
pinoynj
Apr 01st 2000
newton
Apr 01st 2000
a
Apr 02nd 2000
Common and The Source....
Apr 02nd 2000

LordLadypharr
Charter member
3467 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 0

>In case you all haven't heard
>yet, The Source gave Common's
>LWFC album 4 mics >whatever its worth].
>Discuss amongst yourselves..........

WTF????
are the writers for the source on crack???
that's why I don't buy that ish now...
How can you Give COmmon only 4mics but give dumba$$ fools 5mics who are trash...
but yo that's cool cuz COMMON takes out the trash...

"Liberate the mind and you go on home"
OutKast

"Minds are like parachutes: They only work when opened."
Thomas Dewar

01001101-01011001-00100000-01001110-01000001-01001101-01000101-00100000-01001001-01010011-00100000-01001100-01001001-01001100-01001100-01001001-01000001-01001110-00100000-00001101-00001010-01000001-01001110-0100010

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 05:34 PM

3. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 1

>How can you Give COmmon only
>4mics but give dumba$$ fools
>5mics who are trash...
>but yo that's cool cuz COMMON
>takes out the trash...
I agree with every thing you say.Mics in the source don't mean anything today anyway.(Especially since there is a correlation b/w the number of ads you put in the source and the number of mics you get)
But I was just wandering which dumb a$$ fool got 5 mics? The 5 mic designations is one of the only things that at least 75% of the heads have agreed on. Some deserving albums did not get five mics but those that got it mostly deserved it.
So I'm just curious to know who the dumb a$$ fool is?
"These words may not be used against me in a court of law"
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Buy two copies of Common's latest, Like Water For Chocolate. One to Listen to and the other one to auction on e-bay in mint condition twenty years from now for about $1000.00!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

youngun

Thu Mar-30-00 05:35 PM

4. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 1

One could ponder that it's due to a 4 1/2 mic frenzy that they were in the past couple of months (Hot Boys, Beanie, Made Men, Black Rob, Dre, Ghost). Maybe they just don't wanna devalue such a high rating by giving it to everybody (deserving or not), and Com had to suffer for it.

At least he got 4; all his others got 3 1/2.

To be honest, though, I think 4 is straight. I'm on the side of those who feel the Soulquarian sound on here is too repetitive (albeit dope for the most part). And Com's lyrics actually seem watered down to me since "one day..." (my second favorite album ever).

Take it easy.

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 05:55 PM

6. "Im sick of this shit"
In response to Reply # 4

It's actually the first time that Com breaks the 3.5 mics barrier.I think LWFC is better than any of those albums who were awarded 4.5 mics in the past months.I know the rating wont affect the way we feel,but it would have been nice to see Com get 5.

shit is so bangin niggas say it's gang related-Common

One1

pinoynj

Sat Apr-01-00 05:26 PM

32. "RE: Im sick of this shit"
In response to Reply # 6

whatever Richter. If it's a five in your book, then why not try applying for a spot with the Source. They'll hire you in a flash.

NSZ
Charter member
1513 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 06:15 PM

8. "*cringes at watered down remark*"
In response to Reply # 4

No doubt he has a lot less punchlines.. but more watered down? I think you need to listen to it a few more times...

pinoynj

Sat Apr-01-00 05:30 PM

33. "RE: *cringes at watered down remark*"
In response to Reply # 8

Don't bother. I did that for you already. Still does nothing for me. Hey at least the shirt's phat huh?

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 03:53 AM

16. "nah, listen again"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll admit that I'm one of the few who wasn't crazy about the album at first, but I gotta say common came with the lyrics, no matter how you feel about the production. Listen again and you'll see.
--res-one-->
LPP for life (light pockets posse)
peace, okayplayers...

-----------------------

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 05:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Com's lyrics..."
In response to Reply # 16

As long as he's on a major label, I don't think we'll hear Com as lyrically intricate on "ressurrection". there were punchlines on there that I was still catching *months* after I purchased it (one didn't strike me till 97).

basically, Com's focus now seems to be writing solid songs. "a song for assata" was an excellent exercise in songwriting. i admire that as much as triple meaning lines, and it takes as much skill.

IMO, com wasn't as good a songwriter on "resurrection" as he is now ("i used to love h.e.r. excluded)...his topical songs, to me, are better written post-resurrection (see "retrospect for life", 'geto heaven', '...assata', the stolen moments series ).

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

DC folks, watch dead prez on "Spread Love", Monday April 3rd, 10:30pm, Channel 25 District Cablevision or Channel 10 Starpower (re-airs that Friday at 9:30). It's my video show.

Peep Flo Brown the week of April 9th (on Monday and Friday, same time and channel as above)

Peep Jaguar the week of April 16th (same time as above Monday and Friday).

get the idea? the show airs twice a week, mondays and fridays. peep game.

SUPPORT DEAD PREZ, ALBUM IN STORES NOW!!

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "3 1/2 jiggies from Rolling Stone"
In response to Reply # 0

who gives a eff what the mags say.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy." -- a psychotic drunkard

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

youngun

Thu Mar-30-00 05:36 PM

5. "RE: 3 1/2 jiggies from Rolling Stone"
In response to Reply # 2

>who gives a eff what the
>mags say.

I'm sure if he got a perfect score you guys would be hooping and hollering and shitting your collective pants.

Take it easy.

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 06:11 PM

7. "4 mics."
In response to Reply # 5

I'm so glad at least he got some sort of respect in the Source. We all know who the real "Source" is, but at least, it gives him an outlet to the mainstream, and let some of those who have "no culture" (Copyright, Dove., 1999), get some bacteria.

Dope. The way the songs were positioned in the playlist was a work of genius as well. Flowed very well.

http://members.xoom.com/ogando/bwphoto
"And as a special treat this evening, I have asked America's foremost young poet, to read his latest poem for us....."
"I wanna be a HO!" -- Twyla, March 19, 2000.

micah

Thu Mar-30-00 07:43 PM

9. "I disagree but I'm not outraged..."
In response to Reply # 0

I disagree with the 4 mic rating. I believe LWFC is a 4.5 mic album. (It's lyrically a 5, but some repetitive production and a questionable guest appearance by Slum Village pull it down out of the 5 mic stratosphere, IMO). But what is half a mic? I'm not nearly as upset about LWFC getting 4 mics then I was when I saw Ressurection got 3.5 mics. Or One Day. Those ratings pissed me off.

As for 5 mic albums that didn't deserve it, off the top of my head I'm thinking of Life After Death. Definitely NOT a 5 mic album. I can't remember what all the Source's 5 mic albums are. Illmatic, Follow the Leader, what else?

---------------------------
"when science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it."
- unknown

"words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
- nathaniel hawthorne

"whatever happens it was written, meaning God meant it..."
- nasir jones

youngun

Thu Mar-30-00 08:34 PM

10. "RE: I disagree but I'm not outraged..."
In response to Reply # 9

>As for 5 mic albums that
>didn't deserve it, off the
>top of my head I'm
>thinking of Life After Death.
> Definitely NOT a 5
>mic album.

Says who? It's the last (official) great work of one of the greatest rappers of all time. And it's the blueprint of how to blend commercial, grimy, storytelling, and battle raps into an album. THE SOURCE admits that in many events, 4.5 mic albums are better than 5's, but the former don't receive Classic Status because they are not revolutionary enough. LIFE AFTER DEATH changed the way many rappers approached their albums; he's the first to popularize the Bone-type flow among non-Bone-type flow rappers, and he's one of the first to sing on a track. Sure, there's filler material, but it's a milestone nonetheless. At least that's how the Source justifies it.

I can't
>remember what all the Source's
>5 mic albums are.
>Illmatic, Follow the Leader, what
>else?

Life after Death, Amerikka's Most Wanted, One for All, Aquemini, Tribe's first two joints, De La Soul is Dead, and (arguably) Edutainment.

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 10:18 AM

21. "I gues marketing does work..."
In response to Reply # 10

Big is not the greatest of all time, I know it says that on his videos now, but let's get real now. Hell "Life After Death" wasn't even better than "Ready To Die"! But tha's another topic...

Be easy kinfolks...

Like Pam says on 'Martin'- "PEEEEAAAAACCCCE"

--------------------

blah blah blah

WTFxSTFU

Fri Mar-31-00 03:39 AM

14. "RE: I disagree but I'm not outraged..."
In response to Reply # 9

Shouldn't be surprised by COmmon only getting 4 mics, after all it is the Source. I mean the same people who gave aceyalone "book of human language" 2.5 mics cause they said it didn't have enough commercially viable singles. Common probably did get screwed. They've been giving 4.5 mics for like 10 issues straight. And including that whole Made Men fiasco its kind of hard to actually believe the source is unbiased in its rating. Yet, the mics remain a big topic of conversation. U can say u dont care as much as you want, but truthfully the source is the most read hiphop publication out there (i think?) After it influences what people think. So we'll always have a topic of discussion. I talk ish bout the source, xxl, blaze all the time, yet i turn around and buy their mags, cant explain why (i sound like common). I think its just cause i need somethin to read while i'm on the toilet

Jay
Charter member
2409 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 03:42 AM

15. "RE: I disagree but I'm not outraged..."
In response to Reply # 14

>I think
>its just cause i need
>somethin to read while i'm
>on the toilet

YEEEEESSSS!!! Excellent executive library... I mean toilet reading material.

"Eyes on the prize, eyes on the thighs of Mary J. Blige…"-Common (Nag Champa)

"...you roll a 500 that's really a 320, should have let somebody else hook it, numbers look crooked like King Kong shook it."-Jay Dee (Thelonious)

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 08:40 PM

11. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 0

Sheeeeiiittt, i'm just happy that they even have Common in the Source let alone give him 4 mics. seems like all they have nowadays is the cash money crew or the ruff ryders. before that it was puff and no limit or some other shit like that. man, imagine if he had gotten the cover though. i swear i would have died a happy man if that happened!

and for those that say that his lyrics are "watered down" i just have one thing to say: listen to it more. granted i noticed that there are less punchlines too, but that in no way means the lyrics are watered down. common definitely still has the amazing gift of putting words together. and the concepts of the songs and the way he can make you visualize...WHOOO! he is DA MAN! NO DOUBT!

anyway, 4 mics i am happy, no wait, i am content with. i mean at least the four mic rating will get his name out to those people that still believe in and read the Source. N/M

"Why do i need ID just to get ID?"-MOS

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

LiquidDope
Charter member
25123 posts
Thu Mar-30-00 10:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "5 mics from the Source: for the record"
In response to Reply # 0

"Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em"
"Amerikkka's Most Wanted"
"One For All"
"People's Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm"
"De La Soul Is Dead"
"The Low End Theory"
"Illmatic"
"Life After Death"
"Aquemini"

In my opinion, the only clear cut choice for being over-rated was Biggie. Yeah, Biggie had reached his prime on this album. But nothing with Puff on it deserves anything higher than 3 1/2. I also feel that "Aquemini" wasn't Outkast's best album, and they got a 5 on that one to make up for only getting 4.5 on their 1st two albums, more than anything else. But I still felt it was a classic. To those who are mad that Common only got a four on this LP, peep this. If you remember a couple years back, the Source released it's 100th issue. In that issue, they had a list of what they thought the 100 greatest albums ever were. In that list, more than half of the albums listed had originally received 3.5 mics or less from the Source when they first came out (and that list included "Resurrection"). It just goes to show you that the Source wouldn't truly know what classic material was if it came out of their ass. And YES, they do sell mics. How do you think Made Men got a 4.5 AND the Hip Hop Quoteable when they came out? Because Dave Mays, the editor of the Source, is the group's manager. 4 mics means nothing.

Liquid Dope

"all I need is 26 letters and 16 bars" - AG

mr Buster

Fri Mar-31-00 02:55 AM

13. "RE: 5 mics from the Source: for the record"
In response to Reply # 12

THIS my first time but Life After Death is not a classic!ATLIENS GOT 4 MICS FROM THA WACK source!

'I'm the ultimate, the rhyme imperial I'm better but some don't believe though
But I'm a proven hotY'all know the legendary Roots crew' - BlackThought

a

Fri Mar-31-00 04:57 AM

17. "RE: 5 mics from the Source: for the record"
In response to Reply # 13

Seriously, the 5 mic-rating doesn`t mean much to me, though some classics have got it. The point is that they don`t respect truly revolutionary material (ain`t saying LWFC was that) more than any other mag including all the teen shit. They don`t recognise classic shit, `cos they concentrate mainly on money and sex. It`s not the music only, `cos it`s commercial shit, it`s not hard core shit! If it was, Puffy wouldn`t cop all these "toughest in this n that" prizes. Hottest producer? Shit. Not even Primo. They should pay more atention to what`s going on in hip hop all round the world and not just give spect to the b-boy shit. Like Kool Keith put it, there`s hot shit lying around outside NYC, and these bitches don`t even wanna have a fucking clue.

Rambling again, but hey, just don`t let it be your bible. Know what you like.

btw, what did the Roots get for WTFA?

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 06:15 AM

18. "RE: 5 mics from the Source: for the record"
In response to Reply # 17

It might just be me but is it possible that thi sisnt the most un biased placeto discuss lwfc rating

My opinion thoug is that alot of tim ethe source is more poltical then anything and it gives out ratings based on the tide of whats going on in Hip hop at the time and who they "like" so i dont really take there ratoings seriously because OutKast iand Common in my mind have beed deserved recognition for their work but it seems like Source is playing its "progersive Hip Hop Card" now because its time I dont understand how they miss out on calling Black on Both Sides a Classic they are tottaly asleep at the wheel

yosh
Charter member
684 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 06:30 AM

19. "who cares"
In response to Reply # 0

what the source thinks? i mean we all would have felt good for com if he got 5 mics, but does anyone really take their ratings seriously? i mean cmon now, especially after the made men debacle? i mean if the source isnt going to rate "Do You Want More" worth of 5 mics, don't except LWFC to garner any more than 4! and in my opinion, 4 mics is about right for com's new joint. it is a great album, but classic status? cmon now, it aint even anywhere near "Ressurection".

genesis
Charter member
103 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 09:29 AM

20. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 0

>In case you all haven't heard
>yet, The Source gave Common's
>LWFC album 4 mics >whatever its worth].
>Discuss amongst yourselves..........

fuck the source. quit buying that shit!!!!

"...let us sing all songs to God
to whom all praise is due...praise God.
no road is an easy one, but they all go back to God." - john coltrane

"consider me an entity, within the industry, without the history, of spittin' the epitome, of stupidity" - talib kweli

sabotage

Fri Mar-31-00 01:34 PM

22. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 20

Just so you know, a bunch of the classic albums that the Source gave 5 mics to, didn't recieve 5 mics until years later.

Just something to think on...

SkipGotSkills
Charter member
27393 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 02:02 PM

23. "That is just fantastic...."
In response to Reply # 0

You ever took a shit and had to wipe yo ass like more than six to seven times? Yo, I had the ill shitty ass sun -Gregory-

My photography website: http://www.johnflowersphotos.com/
I'm bloggin too now hoe: http://mrflowersphotos.wordpress.com/

P!

Fri Mar-31-00 04:21 PM

24. "Midnight Marauders got 4 mics n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

somebody: Vee, if you dont make it as a producer, do you have a back-up plan?

me: no, cause i dont plan on backing up...

P!'s QUOTES TO LIVE BY FOR APRIL:
"If it aint violence or drugs i have nothing to spit"-Sheek of the Lox (an honest man)

"4 1/2 mics is whoa!"-Black Rob

"f**k this p***y! oooh...this p***y is tight baby! f**k this tight p***y baby!"-Janet Jacme

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 05:43 PM

26. "Ain't Nothing Wrong With 4 Mics"
In response to Reply # 0

That is of course before you juxtapose it with the flurry of 4.5s they've been handing out. The Source seems to choose when to be realistic. This is just one of those moments.
Yes its all politics. They felt guilty of robbing Outkast of 5 mics on ATLIENS so they gave 'em 5 on Aquemini even though it had one or two medium cuts on it. Similarly they feel guilty about Com's past 3.5s so they up this one to a 4. Maybe by next album they'll realise how tight "One Day..." was and give Com's fifth a 5.
RATINGS don't meant that much but I still buy those stupid magazines(especially for the unsigned hype and underground sections). If you took away ratings mags would be better. Have a written review and let the reader rate it.

enoungh rambling. you want mics buy five page ads in the source...
ONE LOVE

"These words may not be used against me in a court of law"
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Buy two copies of Common's latest, Like Water For Chocolate. One to Listen to and the other one to auction on e-bay in mint condition twenty years from now for about $1000.00!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Mar-31-00 08:28 PM

27. "I'd Go 4.5, But Not 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Five implies perfection. To be perfect implies every song fits together into a whole that's greater than the parts. LWFC is so close, but "The Questions" kill it. I don't like the beat, and the concept is like Tribe's "What?" but done really half-assedly. One song can keep you from perfection.

But damn...everything else...I've had it for four days and every day I've put a different track on repeat. Tuesday was "The Light," Wednesday was "Funky for You," Thursday "A Song for Assata," and all day today has been "Thelonious." Keep in mind, this is addition into listening to the album all the way through at least twice. Damn, Ima never trust an internet bootleg again, because the mastering did SO much this album

Bryan
aim=bshelly24

The Shellquarians:an exclusive (next) movement for the coming millenium. Apply within.

Are you a rockandrollkayplayer? Come see my band!! Yell at me for tickets!!

Hite Nine
April 30
Trocadero, Philly

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.ā€¯ (c) The God

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Sat Apr-01-00 09:02 AM

28. "Out of 5..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd probably go 4.5-4.75

I don't think the album was perfect...so that's why I'd stay away from the 5...

IMO...LWFC is Comm's best album...It's the first time that the production nearly overwhelms the lyrics...I was always a fan of the No ID/Dug Inf production (Beatnuts too), but the Soulquarians are just bringin it...There are times when I find myself forgetting that I'm supposed to be paying attention to Comm's voice and I never thought I would ever say that about a Common album

Lyrically, I was impressed w/ the way that Comm made himself more accessible to folks who aren't familiar with him...While I enjoy his ability to create intricate word plays, I understand that it's important to open up to new audiences if he wants to enjoy any of the fruits of his labor...I believe he demonstrated his considerable skills, but put rhymes together that either a kid checking for no limit or an adult who gave up on hip hop after "It Takes a Nation.." would be able to appreciate...

What did I find wrong with it?

Well, I was a bit disappointed in the Pop's Rap...It sounded too prepared and didn't flow as naturally as previous Pop joints did...

I really like Cold Blooded, but after using Black Thought as background on the Stolen Moments from the last album, couldn't we get a joint like "Double Trouble" where Comm and Thought trade rhymes ala Thought and Mos?

I also thought that maybe "Song for Assata" could have used another verse...It is so heartfelt and passionate that it could have taken time to expand the story and add a couple more details...

All in all, Comm and them have produced a classic...Maybe folks don't know it yet, but they will...

Here's some'em serious to bump, like when you're takin' a shit.---Planet Asia

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

Nahum

Sat Apr-01-00 12:14 PM

29. "RE: LWFC - 4.5 mics from HipHopSite"
In response to Reply # 0

I proclaim HipHopSite as the new SOURCE. Their reviews are more understandable than most publications and webmags. Go Check the review at
http://www.hiphopsite.com/reviews/frame.html

WON

sabotage

Sat Apr-01-00 02:35 PM

30. "RE: LWFC - 4.5 mics from HipHopSite"
In response to Reply # 29

HipHopSite usually SUCKS with their reviews. They gave both Mos and Dre 5 mics, and as much as I loved Mos's album, that was NOT a 5 mic album. I can't remember any off top, but they've given 5 mics out to some pretty average albums in the past and recently. Also, they never understand anything. Read the Common review, and they don't understand "A Film Called Pimp" at all. They did the same thing to Mos's review with "New World Water."

So anyway, HipHopSite really sucks, review-wise. So yeah, in a way, they are the new Source.

pinoynj

Sat Apr-01-00 05:23 PM

31. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 0

Yipty fckin doo. They also gave the Hot Boys 4 1/2 mics and Aquemeni 5. So? Them reviews don't mean shit to me nowadays. Even if I review it, I would only giv it a 2. 3 wouldn't cut it because that means worth checking out. That would be inaccurate because don't most of us already have an old Roots album. Oh! (pardon the hater playin)

newton

Sat Apr-01-00 07:21 PM

34. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, I believe Common was cheated, deserved at least a 4.5. I also think that dead prez's album was worth more than a 3.5, what do you think?

Newton.

"She said, 'French kiss me.'. I'm like, 'Bitch I'm African!'."-Micheal Blackson

a

Sun Apr-02-00 04:12 AM

35. "RE: LWFC - 4 mics from the Source"
In response to Reply # 34

You gotta be objective with this shit, Com´s not your father or son, so don`t give im five just for being himself. If you don`t think he`s really doin his best on the newest, say it aloud and proud. I personally find the back-ups on the new one a bit too dominant, so I wouldn`t give it a 5, I`d give it 4 or even less. But, I`d also rate everything else my way, so my opinions shouldn`t move you much. Read reviews as advertises or announcements, not truths.

1Mind
Charter member
342 posts
Sun Apr-02-00 05:54 AM

36. "Common and The Source...."
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I didn't expect anything different, it seems The Source has set 4 mics as the limit to judge an innovative piece of work. I haven't listened to the album enough yet to give it a fair judgment but when Rashid's work is measured next to other questionable releases given near classic status, the rating given by hip-hop's quote-on-quote "official" magazine seems blasphemous. Oh well, leave the reviews to the truly worthy critics, the consumers with open minds and a will to expand.

-1Mind

"Fuck these magazines leading hip-hop off course!!!"
-KRS-One, "Bulworth"

"Music is supposed to inspire"
-Lauryn Hill

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25716 Previous topic | Next topic