Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24591

Subject: "Is McGruder a Japanese culture thief?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Fri Apr-21-00 12:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Is McGruder a Japanese culture thief?"

because apparently he thinks Eminem is a black culture thief. Maybe I missed something. I guess I'm a 'nerd' culture thief for using a computer. oh well. commence flaming now.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy." -- a psychotic drunkard

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
To the rescue
Apr 21st 2000
thanks
Apr 22nd 2000
      clarification
Apr 22nd 2000
hell yeah, he is...
Apr 22nd 2000
RE: hell yeah, he is...
Apr 22nd 2000
RE: hell yeah, he is...
Quinn
Apr 22nd 2000
      ...la la la...
Apr 23rd 2000
           but i have one question...
Apr 23rd 2000
                RE: but i have one question...
Apr 23rd 2000
I don't know nann about A-dub being a "culture thief"
Apr 22nd 2000
What precisely is a culture thief?
Apr 22nd 2000
okay, i see that
Apr 23rd 2000
      RE: okay, i see that
Apr 24th 2000
Hold up. Question.
Apr 22nd 2000
RE: Hold up. Question.
Dramatik
Apr 22nd 2000
      RE: Hold up. Question.
Apr 22nd 2000
Welcome to the OkayArtist board, Aaron lol n/m
Apr 23rd 2000
Eminem sucks because his innate rhythm is always off
Apr 24th 2000
RE: Eminem sucks because his innate rhythm is always off
AfricanHerbsman
Apr 24th 2000
on point, but off topic
Apr 25th 2000
      plus...
Apr 25th 2000
not in the least
HoyaSpice
Apr 28th 2000
it's as if no one read a word i wrote!!!!!!
Apr 29th 2000
      RE: it's as if no one read a word i wrote!!!!!!
Dramatik
Apr 29th 2000

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Apr-21-00 02:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "To the rescue"
In response to Reply # 0

Well Aaron's work is obviously influenced by Japanese animation. He even refers to his style as "afro-anime", but to call him a culture thief is a huge stretch. There is the obvious fact that his strip is about black folks, and black folk's issues. It's not like he's walking around in a Kimono, yelling Bonzai! like Mr. Miyagi.
I can't speak for A-Dub, but my beef with Eminem is that I think he acts like a caricature of a rap star. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of black folks doing that in hip-hop, and I dislike them as much..if not more. But it doesn't offend me to the same level.
To me it seemed like 3rd Bass was doing it from the heart, same for the Beasties (they had their own shit), and The Mountain Brothers, etc, etc. If it's real, it's real, and people will recognize that.
I'm sure he will respond to this himself.
Obvioulsy you have some axe to grind with Aaron, but having met him (Aaron, I'm the guy from NBC in DC, we bumped into each other at the mall out here in Cali) , I can say that he is as much a Japanese culture thief as I am a Jewish culture thief. Happy Passover!

bignick

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 07:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 1

i mean thanks for answering without flaming me. that was refreshing. i thought for sure i'd have to stop, drop and roll for this one.

>Well Aaron's work is obviously influenced
>by Japanese animation. He even
>refers to his style as
>"afro-anime", but to call him
>a culture thief is a
>huge stretch.

that is obviously what i was referring to, but i don't think he's a culture thief. I eat burritos. I'm not a Mexican culture thief. I live in a part of the country that used to be Mexico. There has been a lot of Mexican culture stolen here, but me eating a burrito, McGruder drawing in a japanese style, and eminem rhyming all do not qualify us as culture thieves.

> There is
> the obvious fact that
>his strip is about black
>folks, and black folk's issues.
> It's not like he's
>walking around in a Kimono,
>yelling Bonzai! like Mr. Miyagi.
>
lol. good point.

>I can't speak for A-Dub, but
>my beef with Eminem is
>that I think he acts
>like a caricature of a
>rap star.

i'm not a huge eminem fan or anything, but i think the dude's funny and a lot of his rhymes are dope. he's definitely a caricature, but what makes you think he's a caricature of a (typical) rap star. i think his ish is pretty original, but maybe i just don't know whose style he has.

from what i can tell, he's not "walking around in a komono" either. He's rapping and his music is very much hip hop, but that is the extent to which he "acts black" as far as i can see. he paints himself as a white trash caricature, not as having any black stereotypes. He hates his mother, wants to kill himself, beats up his girlfriends, and takes all kinds of drugs. If he were to be the kind of rap caricature that i (and most of us) hate, he would SELL drugs, PIMP his girlfriends, want to kill OTHER PEOPLE, and would probably never mention his mother.

i can understand where you're coming from though. some whiteboy just pops up on the scene with all these really negative lyrics and makes a assload of money and gets maaaad attention in a very short amount of time, obviously because he's white. i can see how you'd hate him, but i can't see how race is THAT much of a factor.

>Don't get me
>wrong, there are plenty of
>black folks doing that in
>hip-hop, and I dislike them
>as much..if not more. But
>it doesn't offend me to
>the same level.

that's good you point out the difference between "dislike" and "offend". I can understand why eminem would offend you, but i don't understand what racially offends you about him.

>To me it seemed like 3rd
>Bass was doing it from
>the heart, same for the
>Beasties (they had their own
>shit), and The Mountain Brothers,
>etc, etc. If it's real,
>it's real, and people will
>recognize that.

i think you can tell that eminem is for real. you can tell that he loves what he's doing underneath that pseudo-hardness. No one's going to argue that his ish is as good as the Beasties, but i think he's in it for more than the money. Why would he do a Rawkus compilation if he wanted to make money?

>I'm sure he will respond to
>this himself.
>Obvioulsy you have some axe to
>grind with Aaron, but having
>met him (Aaron, I'm the
>guy from NBC in DC,
>we bumped into each other
>at the mall out here
>in Cali) , I can
>say that he is as
>much a Japanese culture thief
>as I am a Jewish
>culture thief. Happy Passover!
>
i wouldn't say "axe to grind" because that suggests that i'm pissed off about something. i'm not. i'm just confused. I totally understand if you don't like eminem, but i start scratchin my head when i hear it's a racial issue.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy." -- a psychotic drunkard

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 02:28 PM

9. "clarification"
In response to Reply # 2

i
>can see how you'd hate
>him, but i can't see
>how race is THAT much
>of a factor.

i can't see how race would be a factor in you hating him. Hate him for who he is, not for what he is.

-George W Bush

koan
Charter member
2808 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 09:05 AM

3. "hell yeah, he is..."
In response to Reply # 0

...aaron's a culture thief the same way as joe madureira and anyone else that draws in that anime "influenced" style... it's true... i'd like to see him explain how he's not...

...as for the eminem thing... i like the muhfucka... it's funny... jay-z can rap about killin' and fuckin' and killin' and drugs and fuckin' and drugs and midgets and llamas and whatever other things are bad and evil in this world... and people still praise him as a lyrical deity (not all of us, otherwise we wouldn't have all those "jay-z sux" posts on the boards)... but eminem comes spittin' the same type of negative isht and everyone's like "oh, he's got no talent"... or, in aaron's words "he's the lyrical equivalent of hot smelly ass"...
mmmkay... you're free to have an opinion... really... if you don't like his voice... i can't argue with you... it's an acquired taste... i fuggin' HATE guru's voice and i can't listen to anything that has him on it for more than the chorus... truthfully. so if you don't like his voice, then that's yer thing...
if you don't like his content, that's another thing... understandable also... another acquired taste... you've gotta have a certain sense of humor...
but really... can you argue that the boy can't rhyme? ...i mean... i really hate the term "hater" or "hating"... but if you don't acknowledge that the kid has at least some talent, then that's what yer doin' to me... as aforementioned, i hate guru's voice and delivery... but i'll admit he can rhyme, y'know... and eminem can definitely kick some rhymes... he can freestyle his pale ass off... and can you really fuck with all that polysyllabic rhyming he kicks?
...come on, folks... past a certain point, peops are just hating on him 'cause he's white... "oh, he's a caricature of what a rap star should be" ...well, um... so??? rap's become overly self-important and stuck up... what's wrong with a bit of humor... (actually, that's why i liked "how to rob an industry nigga" so much... funny shit... emcees should take themselves a bit less seriously)... "oh, he's a culture thief"... HOW????? he's not claiming that he invented hip hop... the man apparently just wants to rap and do something he loves... so why can't we just let him?

if eminem's a culture thief for performing in a style or a medium or an artform that wasn't started by people like him, then aaron's one for drawing in a style that wasn't started by people like him... so give the culture back, mr. freehuey...

...and answer my goddam post on your message board asking how you ink and color your shit!!!!!!

-kevin
"without awareness, there is no life... only activity"

~~~~~

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 10:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: hell yeah, he is..."
In response to Reply # 3

I just noticed your name Koan.

Please tell me that you are Japanese or of direct Japanese decent because otherwise your accusation of Aaron being a culture thief is filled with a hilarious irony...

Peace,

Tank

"You are a heathen slut! A heathen slut I say! But that's OK cuz heathens have all the fun. I know cuz I'm one too..." Miss Maureen's recent ansaphone message for me.

"The revolution has tit's!" Nou-Ra

"As do many strong people, she found herself a victim of the tyranny of the weak." Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

Quinn

Sat Apr-22-00 02:09 PM

8. "RE: hell yeah, he is..."
In response to Reply # 3

>...as for the eminem thing... i
>like the muhfucka... it's funny...
>jay-z can rap about killin'
>and fuckin' and killin' and
>drugs and fuckin' and drugs
>and midgets and llamas and
>whatever other things are bad
>and evil in this world...
>and people still praise him
>as a lyrical deity (not
>all of us, otherwise we
>wouldn't have all those "jay-z
>sux" posts on the boards)...
>but eminem comes spittin' the
>same type of negative isht
>and everyone's like "oh, he's
>got no talent"... or, in
>aaron's words "he's the lyrical
>equivalent of hot smelly ass"...
Since Aaron didn't just say that Eminem sucked, but that 90% of all rappers suck, I think it's more likely than not that he thinks Jay-Z sucks, too. Sidenote: I don't think anyone should complain about someone who raps about "fucking", cause y'know, that's just sex, but you actually can't compare any of the rest of Jay-Z's content with Em's, IMO. There's a vast differnece between "KIM" and "Bonnie and Clyde" vs. "Money Cash Hoes" and "Paper Chase". And he really dosen't talk about killing very often, either. He talks about drugs a lot. And he does songs about his conscience too, which Em never does. I mention all this because unlike you, I think Em gets away with a lot material because he is white. But that's another issue, I guess.

"oh, he's a culture
>thief"... HOW????? he's not claiming
>that he invented hip hop...
>the man apparently just wants
>to rap and do something
>he loves... so why can't
>we just let him?
When there was that first post in Gen. Dis. about the Eminem strip in The Boondocks, Aaron actually explained why he would call Em a "culture theif". I can't remember his reasons, but he did explain it. Maybe that thread is still on the boards.

Backhanded, pimpslapped backwards and left stranded - Kurupt

koan
Charter member
2808 posts
Sun Apr-23-00 07:01 AM

12. "...la la la..."
In response to Reply # 8

:-)
mmmkay... i suppose my post didn't come as tongue-in-cheek as i hoped it would...
...ah, eff it...
i love the boondocks... i do my own student strip here at uva and aaron's an inspiration...
...in other words... i'm just kidding...

-kevin

~~~~~

koan
Charter member
2808 posts
Sun Apr-23-00 07:16 AM

13. "but i have one question..."
In response to Reply # 12

...mmkay... someone said somethin' like eminem's doin' nothin' that hasn't been done before in rap and he's just copying off black artists before him...
...but really... how much innovation is there in the art of emceeing at the present? i'm really wondering what people think is "ground-breaking" or "new-isht" as far as lyricism goes... 'cause i'm really just seeing year after year of shit-talkers just like every other year... black thought, even common to a degree... i mean, even the undergrounds celebrated acts are falling back on the whole "how i'll rip you"-steez, y'know? ... i dunno... so it seems rather silly to be like "eminem's not doin' anythin' original" when very few are doing something original anyways...

(...and yeah... i recognize and appreciate the innovation from "abstract" or "avant-garde" hiphop... sole, anticon, kool keith, sir menelik... whatever... but even then, a lot of it tends toward shit-talkin'...)

...i'm sorry... did i even say anything important in this post... if not... just ignore me... won't be anything new... evryone seems to do so... check my poetry post... i had to reply to the muthafucka twice by my damned self just to keep it on the first page...
http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/3029.html

-kevin

~~~~~

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sun Apr-23-00 11:38 AM

15. "RE: but i have one question..."
In response to Reply # 13

>i dunno... so it seems
>rather silly to be like
>"eminem's not doin' anythin' original"
>when very few are doing
>something original anyways...

i'm not eminem's biggest supporter, but i do think he's doing something sort of original. At least, original for hip hop. His 'caricature' is more like Kurt Cobain than it is like hip hop stereotypes, so maybe he's a culture thief... but a white trash culture thief, not a black culture thief.

-George W Bush

nickelz45
Member since May 16th 2003
1029 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 10:10 AM

4. "I don't know nann about A-dub being a "culture thief""
In response to Reply # 0

but I do know that he's got napolean syndrome. You should see him when he's doing his cartoons. You can't even talk to the guy. HE Draws with an Iron hand. Claiming he's got 7 "strips" due by the end of the day and that he doesn't sleep. I say to Aaron WHATEVER suck it up little guy and stop crying about it. Running around with his Palm V beaming information like he's someone special. Anyone can get there hands on a device like that Aaron. I don't have one but I can get one and then I'll beam you pointless bits of information. Go whip your fine automobile with stylus in west hollywood and pick up on some men. As for this thief business A-Dub is only guilty of stealing the youth of today's hearts and minds. Granted NO ONE reads the newpaper anymore much less the comics. I know I sure don't because Calvin and Hobbes aren't in there anymore. Plus the BOONDOCK's don't come in my paper. SHUT UP ALREADY AARON I AM WORKING ON GETTING IT IN MY PAPER. SEE WHAT I MEAN FOLKS he's a comic strip dictator. PEACE

Swass/Knownots Crew

"Your rhymes won't impress me if you said'em doing backflips" Tash

"It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone
and a day to love someone but it takes a lifetime to forget someone."

R.I.P.
Thomas Timothy Lilac 11/03/22 - 01/30/00

<----- 100% Hater Proof.

"B-Boy for life fuck a suit and a tie" Thes One

"I'm on my own dick like sleeping on my stomach" AG

"The tantalizing wordplay yeah that's the joint
Sometimes I have to cuss just to prove my damn point" Q-Tip

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 10:37 AM

5. "What precisely is a culture thief?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know, I am wondering if perhaps a 'culture thief' is someone who attempts to assimilate themself into someone else's culture and the expense of that culture and the denial of their own.

If this is correct, which from my point of view is, then I don't see how Aaron could be a culture thief.

Amerikkka is a melting pot of cultures - unfortunatly the pot happens to be rancid in most places, but that's another story... However, because of our exposure to different beliefs, ideas and customs we cannot help but to incorporate them into our own beliefs and selves in one way or another.

I think that as people, we look to the world around us that we see, (please remember that the world we see is based soley on what we want to see), and reference ourselves to it. We pick things that we identify with and respect and incorprate it into our signifying practises on a daily basis.

To take me as an example. I am a woman who shaves her hair off - does this mean that I am stealing from Lesbian culture? Everyone assumes incorrectly that I am a dyke, so am I a thief? No. I shave my hair off because of my political beliefs about the beauty myth. I am a white woman who wears baggy clothes, sneakers, listens to some hip-hop, does this mean I steal from Black culture? No. I wear these clothes for comfort and I listen to certain hip-hop artists because I like them. I am not hip-hop, would never claim it as my own but I appreciate it from a perifial viewpoint. As an English person who has been living in Philly for the last year and a half, I now use certain Philly slang. Am I stealing from Amerikkkan culture, from Philly life? No. It's just that in an effort to be easily understood by my peers, I use colloquialisms that are common place.

I think that so long as one does not deny who it is that we are and where we have come from, one could never be accused of culture thieving. And I do not believe that Aaron does either of these things. He talks about issues that affect himself and his peers as a Black man.

Above all we must remember that Aaron is an artist. Through his medium he talks about and expresses issues that he feels are important and I think that this is the most important thing in life. In reading the strip we can see that Aarons reference and positioning in life is that of a Black mans. If his primary concerns and expressions were that of an Asian person, then I think one would have the right to call him a culture thief. But they so very obviously are not.

The other issue here is white people assimilating other peoples culture into their own. Yes I believe Eminem is a danger to Black culture, not necessarily because of who he is as a human, but because of the nature of the white political psyche. White people have had a history of claiming other peoples achievements as their own and destroying the true essence of that which they claim as they do it. But the question remains as to whether or not Eminem is white or is he undercover?

Yes Aaron is very obviously influenced by Japanese animation, but he is an artist and art has no limitations in terms of inspiration. But his message is that of a Black man in Amerikkka today. SO culture theif, no effing way, inspired, yes!

Peace,

Tank

"You are a heathen slut! A heathen slut I say! But that's OK cuz heathens have all the fun. I know cuz I'm one too..." Miss Maureen's recent ansaphone message for me.

"As do many strong people, she found herself a victim of the tyranny of the weak." Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sun Apr-23-00 12:25 PM

16. "okay, i see that"
In response to Reply # 5

Just to reiterate what i already said, i never thought that Aaron was a culture thief. I was just trying to make it seem strange to call em a culture thief without calling us all culture thieves.

>I don't know, I am wondering
>if perhaps a 'culture thief'
>is someone who attempts to
>assimilate themself into someone else's
>culture and the expense of
>that culture and the denial
>of their own.
>
Okay. The word 'thief' is misleading here. Like putting American Indians on reservations is literally stealing their culture. But not by your definition. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it looks like you're trying to adjust the definition to fit Eminem.

But you do have a good point. You could say that Eminem is doing that. Now the discussion is not whether or not he stole something, but (1) Is he trying to assimilate into black culture? (2) If so, is it damaging black culture, and if so how? and (3) Is he denying his own (white) culture?

I think the answers are

1) Well, he sort of already has simply by being a hip hop star, whether it was his intention or not.

2) I don't think he is directly damaging black culture or wants to. Yes, white society is and always has been more receptive to a white man doing a black art form well, than to black artists who've been doing it well for years. This has a history of stealing culture. That's why rock and roll, blues and jazz are all so white today, so i see where you come from with this.

But does this mean that he should stop making the music he loves? Should he try to sell less records? Should he 'rap like a white dude'? i think he already does, but that's Should he give some percentage of his profits to needy black artists?

If you want to point fingers at people who are detrimental to black culture, go after Master P, Juvenile, effin Janet Jackson. Better yet: Go after the record corporations and the political/economic system that keeps blacks poor disempowered police targets.

3) I don't think he denies his own culture. He talks about his own life all the time. How he hates his mother, can't deal with women, wants to kill himself, etc. He exaggerates it, but from what i can tell, he's in full acceptance of what he is: white trash.

>
>Above all we must remember that
>Aaron is an artist. Through
>his medium he talks about
>and expresses issues that he
>feels are important and I
>think that this is the
>most important thing in life.
>In reading the strip we
>can see that Aarons reference
>and positioning in life is
>that of a Black mans.
>If his primary concerns and
>expressions were that of an
>Asian person, then I think
>one would have the right
>to call him a culture
>thief. But they so very
>obviously are not.

that's exactly what i'm saying about Eminem. His viewpoint is that of a disturbed white boy from a trailer park. If his expressions were those of a black person then i think you could call him a wannabe... not a culture thief, just a wannabe... but they are so very obviously not.

>But the question remains
>as to whether or not
>Eminem is white or is
>he undercover?

You mean like some Milli Vanilli ish? I doubt it, but that would be pretty funny. We need a new Milli Vanilli to make fun of.

But I'm going to take your words (below) and substitue 'Eminem' for 'Aaron', 'hip hop' for 'animation', 'white' for 'black', and 'black' for 'japanese'

>Yes Eminem is very obviously influenced
>by black hip hop, but he
>is an artist and art
>has no limitations in terms
>of inspiration. But his message
>is that of a white
>man in Amerikkka today. SO
>culture theif, no effing way,
>inspired, yes!

And it works just fine except that Eminem doesn't really have a message. I could have done it to your entire post and it still would have worked.

-George W Bush

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Mon Apr-24-00 05:02 AM

17. "RE: okay, i see that"
In response to Reply # 16

> I don't want to
>jump to conclusions, but it
>looks like you're trying to
>adjust the definition to fit
>Eminem.

Actually I wasn't even thinking about Eminem, I don't think about Eminem. I added what little I said about him as an after thought. Everything I said, except for the one small paragraph about Eminem, was in defense of Aaron.

When I said was Eminem white or undercover I meant the following. I have been reading some bell hooks where she posits that to be white is to embody a certain psyche which relates not necessarily to any external skin colour. So I came up with undercover to mean someone that looks white, but not necessarily is. Kind of like an undercover cop...

Peace,

Tank

---

incogx
Charter member
517 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Hold up. Question."
In response to Reply # 0

Did McGruder say that Eminim is a culture theif, or did Huey? Because that sounds like something Huey would say, and Huey is a character. Yes, I know that the things characters say can reflect the authors views but it’s hard to say what the author beleives and what is fiction. You know what I mean? I’m not saying that you might not be right, I just want to clarify whether or not the Eminem comment came from his lips or his character’s lips.
Okay, playa?

1ne L,
Marcus Kwame Incognito

“bwoy, if ya dis marcus, ya must bite de dust”
...Capleton

“no trees grow in brooklyn, seeds need to be planted/ i’m askin if yall feel me & the crowd left me stranded”
...Talib Kweli

“asked him why we follow the law of the blest eye/ he looked at me and said, i’m clueless, why?/ the question was rhetorical/ the answer it was horrble”
...Talib Kweli

“i want my people to be free, to be free, to be free”
...the mighty mos

http://www.marcuskwame.com

http://www.myspace.com/inkogmrgone

http://www.myspace.com/marcus_kwame77

Dramatik

Sat Apr-22-00 08:05 PM

10. "RE: Hold up. Question."
In response to Reply # 7

culture theif? hell naw. McGruder is an artist...and like Tank said, I believe..he's justified in expressing his opinions the way that he wants to.

if he's a culture theif....then what about Mr. Image himself...mr no formal art Rob Liefield. heavy influence by anime? not at all...if you're blind.

p.e.a.c.e.
Dramatik

Aaron...keep doing what you're doing for realz.

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sat Apr-22-00 08:08 PM

11. "RE: Hold up. Question."
In response to Reply # 10

that's exactly what i'm sayin

-George W Bush

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Sun Apr-23-00 08:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Welcome to the OkayArtist board, Aaron lol n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

It has been written...
Improv!?

***announcement pt 2.5!***
Improv!? send his love and thanks to: T510, Sugah (yo check out her poems they are dope and erotic! yum!), Re_alief, Melanism, Skipgotskills, Shai4NY, Truth and his friend, Soterion, Didi, and Nightwing for showing up to my show. Peace to Oracle, Disorganized, and Thickness for the email and cards. Yall don't know how much seeing yall meant to me. THANK YOU!!!

Fri April 28th: Nuyorican Poets Cafe...10pm...$5...Spotlight Poet: JILL SCOTT!!!!!!

SOBs is the SHIT!!! Here's why:
--Fri May 18th...Dialated Peoples...9pm...$18
--Sun May 21 and Tuesday May 23 (ooh the album drops then)...Lucy Pearl...8pm...$25

"One day I just wanna walk down the street and have someone say "Hey! You look like a writer!"---Karla aka Twin

CELEBRATING APRIL AS WACK QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM --
"Yo wife is my......baby mama"---Manny Fresh

(for Nesta) "Why do I need ID to get ID?/ If I had ID, I wouldn't need ID..." Mos Def

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Mon Apr-24-00 05:15 AM

18. "Eminem sucks because his innate rhythm is always off"
In response to Reply # 0

Its audible..listen to the chorus of Forgot About Dre.

He rhymes OVER the beat not TO the beat...there is a difference. JayZ rhymes in conjunction with his music. Its not about off beat/on beat...its about soul...listen and you'll here that Em's shit is off. On a track like Dead Wrong (where he actually came close to rhyming like he's connected to the the rhythm of the track) he was still off. Watch how he moves to his music....it tells alot (trememdous difference in comparison to them, you see the same differences that you see when watching a predominantly black crowd clapping their hands to the music than a predominantly white one.

and before y'all start, MC Serch actually has more innate rhythm..& is an example of a white boy who connects with "it".

AfricanHerbsman

Mon Apr-24-00 10:53 PM

19. "RE: Eminem sucks because his innate rhythm is always off"
In response to Reply # 18

yeah y'all ...

Hmmm. I think Eminmem's off-beat cadence is deliberate, same as with Common, say.

You'll prolly say Common does it with more soul but Com isn't working those triple syllablles in his rhyme scheme ... besides, Eminem can ride the beat sufficiently when he tries, as in Dead Wrong remix or, I think, Cum On Everybody off Slim Shady LP.

Herbsman.

"still smoking, still drinking, still maintain clear thinking" - Xzibit

"seize your time" - Marley

"is he really high?" - Ghostface

"People fight me a dem worth better for me ... when dem fight me, me can go slow and meditate of what dem fightin' me for - and make a song of it. Why do you think me write 'I Shot the Sheriff' and all dem tunes?" - Marley

APRIL WACKNESS:

"if sexy were a virus, you'd have a disease" - Dres, Blacksheep

"I come fresh like your breath after you brush" - Fatlip

"whatcha gonna do when you get out of jail? I'm gonna buy me a guuuuuuun!(x10)" - 2pac (RIP)

"peace to you fuckin' alcoholics" - Domino

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Tue Apr-25-00 11:28 AM

20. "on point, but off topic"
In response to Reply # 18

we're not debating whether eminem is good or not.

-George W Bush

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Tue Apr-25-00 11:30 AM

21. "plus..."
In response to Reply # 20

you never know how the production process goes. he might just be rhyming over a metronome and all the choice of beat happens later.

-George W Bush

HoyaSpice

Fri Apr-28-00 05:14 AM

22. "not in the least"
In response to Reply # 0

Japanese illustration styles are found in the work of many artists, regardless of their culture. Read up on manga (japanese comics) in Europe if you're up for something to do. Attention should be placed on influence in the other direction, as manga become increasingly westernized to portray the subjective reality of beauty despite the everyday Asian look.

We're having much more of an influence on them as hip-hop, hairstyles, and other aspects of black america are welcomed by Japan's younger generations. * but believe me, embracing another image isn't always pretty. Take a look at this: http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2000/03/08/kogaru/story.jpg *

Culture theft is such a harsh term. People are awed and inspired by whatever's not typical. And originality sells. People should be flattered and not offended when their styles are admired by others. And others should know better than to think they can become who they're not. Adopt if you will, adapt to what you know.

Just pondering while I procrastinate...

Hoya

Peep the site... http://hoyaspice.tripod.com
(Mention Okayplayer when you sign the guestbook, and you'll get 3 wishes...)

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
155 posts
Sat Apr-29-00 03:50 PM

23. "it's as if no one read a word i wrote!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

would you do me a favor and read what i've said before you argue with opinions i don't hold?

-George W Bush

Dramatik

Sat Apr-29-00 10:59 PM

24. "RE: it's as if no one read a word i wrote!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

Uhm. I don't anyone read what you wrote DJ....except me? lol. Funny how they missed the point, but they all caught Eminem's name being mentioned.

p.e.a.c.e.
Dramatik

- The most basic question is: Why did God create a physical
world? God created the universe to bestow good to His
creation, but this good is merely spiritual. This being true,
what need is there for a physical world? Before we can
answer this question, we must first ask another question.
What is the difference between the material and the
spiritual? - Taken from the Sefer Yetzirah The Book of
Creation

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24591 Previous topic | Next topic