Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24414

Subject: "Rolling StoneD'" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Toe-mas

Wed Apr-26-00 12:56 PM

"Rolling StoneD'"

Hey,
Recent issue of RS has a bangin' article on D'. I smiled through the whole thing. It'll remind you of how jimi didn't want to play with his teeth after awhile.

"I see his tape recorder and I grab it. No you can't have it back silly rabbit."
-PE

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Who is on the cover?
Apr 26th 2000
RE: Buffy the...
Toe-mas
Apr 26th 2000
RE: Buffy the...
buffy
Apr 27th 2000
RE: Have you seen the cover with Prince and vanity it is cool?
Toe-mas
Apr 26th 2000
RE: Rolling StoneD'
MissNy
Apr 26th 2000
RE: Rolling StoneD':Chubby Boy Inside
Apr 27th 2000
RE: Hang on, now...
Toe-mas
Apr 27th 2000
untitled
Apr 27th 2000
quest
Apr 27th 2000
quest
Apr 27th 2000
buffy
Apr 27th 2000
d.moon
Apr 27th 2000
           RE: Buffy Says
quest
Apr 27th 2000
                RE: Rolling StoneD
quest
Apr 27th 2000
      who are you?
nora
Apr 29th 2000
      who are you?
nora
Apr 29th 2000
      who are you?
nora
Apr 29th 2000
      RE: who are you?
quest
Apr 29th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 29th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
here we go again
Apr 30th 2000
      RE: here we go again
Apr 30th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
quest
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
May 06th 2000
Finally Got it....
Apr 30th 2000
Apr 30th 2000
May 06th 2000
my bad...
May 06th 2000

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Wed Apr-26-00 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Who is on the cover?"
In response to Reply # 0

"I ain't got no money, but baby I am rich on personality"_THe Artist

Have you seen the cover with Prince and vanity it is cool?

Toe-mas

Wed Apr-26-00 02:15 PM

2. "RE: Buffy the..."
In response to Reply # 1

Vampire hussy.

"We tune-up because we really care for your ears; that is why we don't play so loud."
-Jimi

buffy

Thu Apr-27-00 09:15 AM

9. "RE: Buffy the..."
In response to Reply # 2

You tripped slap out homey

Toe-mas

Wed Apr-26-00 02:16 PM

3. "RE: Have you seen the cover with Prince and vanity it is cool?"
In response to Reply # 1

>Have you seen the cover with
>Prince and vanity it is
>cool?

No, how old is it? I have millions of them.

MissNy

Wed Apr-26-00 06:25 PM

4. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 0

I have that Rolling Stone. It's funny because I had just come from the D.C. show (4-24) and I was at the bus station going back to N.Y. and there he was on the cover. I had a huge Kool-Aid smile while reading the article. I didn't understand how he could contradict himself in the article tho'. He said he didn't like the "TAKE IT OFF" chants and said,"...I'm not no stripper." OK I understand he is not a stripper but WTF is up with all the humping during OneMogin'? Why does he tease the crowd,takes his shirt off and throws it into the audience? CONTRADICTION!!! How can he do a video like "Untitled" and not expect the crowd to react that way? I understand he wants people to repect his music first and mad heads do but NIGGA PLEASE!!! He brought all this on himself. Anybody else agree with me? I wouldn't have traveled that far for just a strip show. I was there for the body and the body of work.

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Thu Apr-27-00 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Rolling StoneD':Chubby Boy Inside"
In response to Reply # 4

Even though he does look good since he lost the weight(but he always did to me), I think he still feels like that shy, chubby guy behind a piano. I guess its just something he has to get use to. Basically, the music is the most important thing though. The body is just the icing on the cake.

FUNK: its a good thing

"Tryin to chew my tampon with my pants on", Curtains,Rah Digga

Mariah Carey should be stoned with REAL R&B CDs

Mary J is our GHETTO DIVA!!!

OKAPLAYER.COM- A MUSICAL CULT!!! How can I be down.

Buy Rah Digga's CD!!!!!

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

Toe-mas

Thu Apr-27-00 02:39 PM

12. "RE: Hang on, now..."
In response to Reply # 4

I'm a heterosexual male and I'm there for the music too. But I must give props to him if he can make 'em swoon. Kinda' like Morris with the mirror, you know? "Damn right I'm bad... watch this." When he's got the pimp dial at max I be at the back cheerin' him on.

"I heard you were a prankster, ultimate gangster, day-time shooter, night-time shankster..."
-xclan

"...bombed graffiti on the tomb of nefertiti..."
-Ms. Hill

untitled

Thu Apr-27-00 05:52 AM

5. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 0

I read it and am very pleased to see that D'Angelo is a superhuman.... I mean he makes excellent music and has been since he was three is what it said in the article....he loves life and what he is doing you can tell that in his music... and the fact that he has a grip on reality... I mean he has a body that he hasn't always had and he doesn't want it to be the only reason hes selling records.... it makes sence... he made millions off Brown Sugar so we all know its possible....too D'Angelo if you do read this... ummmm I think its more so the effect of having a fantasy come to life then it is we just came to see you take off your shirt... I know me personally at the Houston concert could have done without it cuz the show has pumpin, but it was nice that you did it... ya know... I mean if I really wanna see it that bad I can just log onto the internet and look at your video...LOL... why am I trying to hold an in depth conversation with the man and I don't even know if he'll read this post.... with my name being untitled he'd probably skip right over it....LOL.... anyhow, just thought I'd let you know D'Angelo after reading that article.... back to back with other articles that made me realize that I too can have my dream become a reality....you've inspired me to not only become DEISEL (swoll)... for myself not anyone else... and to get crackin on my music... I have like 3 undone songs that I've just left there cuz it hurts when I try to play them but you and me both know that thats the best time to play... is when your feeling it...anyhow I guess I've incriminated myself enough so I'll get ups and outs....

keep it real and flow from the soul....

I keep hope alive cuz thats all that I can grasp, but when my hope meets me it'll be more than I can handle...

untitled.........

quest

Thu Apr-27-00 07:26 AM

6. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 5

Yup, D's human, he is contradictory sometimes. And he's still young too. I just am in awe of his musical acumen. Sometimes I think he did himself a great disservice by doing that video because now he's got some fans lovin' him for all the wrong reasons.

I appreciate the time and effort he takes with each song. . . you can tell, it's manifested.

Speaking of contradictions, he has a tat with Psalm 23:4 permanently imbedded in his skin (which, in essence, says that you should not be afraid of ANYTHING) but yet he admits to being scared of receiving the same fate as the likes of Marvin Gaye?

D' grew up in a Christian environment and if he really received the word and was truly "fed" he'd know that God did not give him the spirit of fear. He needs to let it go. Do his thing and let God handle the rest. Perhaps he's feeling a little guilty about a few things? Perhaps the Gospel is not the center of his life anymore?

I'm one fan that will always dig him. I know that when everything is said in done, because we all know how fickle the music industry is, here today, gone tomorrow. . .D' will still be in the studio cranking out music (even if not profitable). . .I think he has to, it's in his blood.

quest

Thu Apr-27-00 07:36 AM

7. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 6

"don't look back, handle that, hey, make it a good thing, yeah, yeah, yeah" - D'

buffy

Thu Apr-27-00 09:13 AM

8. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 7

>"don't look back, handle that, hey,
>make it a good thing,
>yeah, yeah, yeah" - D'
>

"Q" I think you are the BOMB BABY! You need to make your way to Mesquite for dinner sometime!

d.moon

Thu Apr-27-00 10:13 AM

11. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 8

o>k>p>l>a>y>e>r>s!!!!
Y'ALL ARE SWIMMING IN MIGHTY SHALLOW WATERS.....
they must really have computers in the classroom now.
Do y'all like MUSIC
or just rappers

quest

Thu Apr-27-00 04:05 PM

13. "RE: Buffy Says"
In response to Reply # 8

>"Q" I think you are the
>BOMB BABY! You need to
>make your way to Mesquite
>for dinner sometime!

which "Q" are you talking about?

quest

Thu Apr-27-00 04:35 PM

14. "RE: Rolling StoneD"
In response to Reply # 13

this is a decent thread. I just finished reading the RS article and it was on point. Only thing now is now I'm REALLY gone!

I mean, I know there was something definitely unique about him but now it's just gotten downright spooky. Formulating and manifesting music since 3? WTF!?

I wonder what it's like to KNOW from the bottom of your soul what you're not only supposed to be but GOING to be in life from a BABY. My son is 3. That's some next level ish, that child is definitely touched. Now I see why he has ephipanies and ish.

It makes me that much more enamored, jaw hangin' to the ground, in awe. A country boy too?

His story also gave me a self-reality check. Time to to stop fuccin' around, life is too short.

Anyway, sorry for the long post ya'll. I ain't trying to blow up the spot or nothin' but Merlin (D) is on stage right now at C.H. doing his thing and his boy ?uest is right there wit' em. Damn Pino too. . .such greatness! That whole crew is off the hizook. The Pennacle! I'm in a somber mood cuz' I'm not there front and center like I was Monday night.

Oh yeah, I wanna mention that it was messed up to see that ?uest wasn't feeling the Monday night crowd at C.H. cuz I was there and I was definitely . . .there with them. . .wherever they took me. But I'll see them next go round', til' then. . .

Peace and Blessings be unto them.

"Pop Life/Everybody wants a thrill/Pop Life/We all got a space to fill/Pop Life/Everybody can't be on top/Life it ain't real funky, unless its got that POP"- Prince,

"Guess that I'll stay at home all alone and play my tambourine."- Prince

nora

Sat Apr-29-00 10:32 AM

15. "who are you?"
In response to Reply # 6

like you said the man is human! why is everyone disecting everything he says? get off a niggas back...damn!

nora

Sat Apr-29-00 10:33 AM

16. "who are you?"
In response to Reply # 6

like you said the man is human! why is everyone disecting everything he says? get off a niggas back...damn!

nora

Sat Apr-29-00 10:34 AM

17. "who are you?"
In response to Reply # 6

quest

Sat Apr-29-00 10:53 AM

18. "RE: who are you?"
In response to Reply # 17

Er um, before I jump to conclusions nora, were you directing your post to me? If so, I only meant ^ as words of encouragement. If D' read it, I'm sure he wouldn't have taken offense.

"All my days before today were happy and secure until your phone call. You were telling me goodbye, and now I'm looking for another love, I'm looking for another pure love, in my life. . . oh." S. Wonder

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 04:45 AM

21. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 6

>Speaking of contradictions, he has a
>tat with Psalm 23:4 permanently
>imbedded in his skin (which,
>in essence, says that you
>should not be afraid of
>ANYTHING) but yet he admits
>to being scared of receiving
>the same fate as the
>likes of Marvin Gaye?

i fear nothing, but what does a fear from childhood have to do with what he deals with as a 25 year old?

>
>D' grew up in a Christian
>environment and if he really
>received the word and was
>truly "fed" he'd know that
>God did not give him
>the spirit of fear.
>He needs to let it
>go. Do his thing
>and let God handle the
>rest. Perhaps he's feeling a
>little guilty about a few
>things? Perhaps the Gospel is
>not the center of his
>life anymore?
>
>I'm one fan that will always
>dig him. I know
>that when everything is said
>in done, because we all
>know how fickle the music
>industry is, here today, gone
>tomorrow. . .D' will still
>be in the studio cranking
>out music (even if not
>profitable). . .I think he
>has to, it's in his
>blood.
>
>

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

april was wack quote of the month. i saved mine for the last day.

(see b.r.other ?uestion's verse on "the session" for the champion of all whack verses)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 08:22 AM

23. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 21

?uest:

Fear is fear. . .and if you're still talking about it (in adulthood) as you two have, it's still in the back of your mind. Even though you may grow older and wiser you are still the same person you were as a child. I meant no disrespect or insult, I have nothing but love for D'. I will be forever in awe of ANYONE who knows what they are supposed to be, in this short time on Earth, from near infancy! I'm admonished to be able to nurture my sons in the same fashion his family has.

I only meant those words as words of encouragement. Obviously his gift is some next level phenomenon. I think "the man" upstairs probably has much more in store for him (and you)than any of us, with our mere mortal psyches, could ever fathom. He just has to be open to receiving it.

I can see how anyone of ya'll's caliber could have that fear. I just so happened to be watching VH1 this morning and they did a special on the likes of Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix not to mention Malcolm and Martin and those who have plain "fallen off" like, sadly, His Royal Badness himself and the likes of EW&F, The Isleys, the list goes on.

What ya'll are going through is larger than life but at the end of the day you're still human. (And thank you, by the way, for remaining humble, cuz' D' ain't even got a Grammy yet, lol!).

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. . .pass that on to D.

One Love,

(the other)quest

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 08:31 AM

24. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 21

Ahmir:

ANOTHER THING:

"april was wack quote of the month. i saved mine for the last day".

WTF!? How and why does what I posted have to be taken negatively? It's all good though. . . I see I got you thinkin'.

One Love,

(the other)quest

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 08:52 AM

26. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 24

uhhh...

he wasn't commenting on anything you had posted...

in case you don't visit any of the other boards here, it was decided that people would put wack quotes in their signatures for the entire month of April... (i recently took my missy elliot quote down...) and ?uest was basically saying that the wackest quote of all time was anything he said during his verse on "The Lesson" (see "Organix", the first Roots album)

thank you, please drive through.

--me--
"PUT THE MOTHERF*CKING MAGAZINE DOWN AND PLAY YOUR PART.... GOD!!!!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag.ram

"Put the magazine down nigga!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag2.ram

http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild/

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sat Apr-29-00 10:34 PM

19. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta check that article out!

Did anybody read the article in Essence 11/99? It was incredible. D' let the women see what goes on in his heart. Most males ain't even tryin' to go there. I appreciate him for sharing his intimate thoughts with us. I was smiling through the whole article. I kept saying, "Damn, why can't I meet a brotha who thinks like this?" I know there's brothas like that out there (2 or 3),but I just don't know where. I really loved when he said that he needs a woman he can talk with. My pet-peev is when men tell women that they talk too much. Those kind of men feel that way because they don't have anything meaningful and intelligent to say. I hate that sh*t. It's like, grow a brain for God's sake!

I also loved when ?uest interviewed D'. Those two are so intelligent. I love knowing what going on inside their heads musically. They really have a passion for our music and they know that it is more than just entertainment. Umph, Umph, Umph... there's nothing sexier than an intelligent brotha!!!

But, basically I love every article I read on D' because he talks about the real stuff and he isn't afraid to say what's on his mind (i.e. "I don't mess with no white girls." --thank you so much for that D').

Well I'm out!

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 03:09 AM

20. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 19

^5 Rozjak! Very well put.

One Love,

(the other)quest

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 05:09 AM

22. "here we go again"
In response to Reply # 19

"I don't mess
>with no white girls." --thank
>you so much for that
>D').

when did he say this? i understand that you can easily say that i practiced the same thing when i put my questradomous post up (and for those who read what they wanted to could assume that i was trying to exclude white people) but for you to put that up here (knowing how much white people come in) and quote someone directly, then celebrate that shit.....

.....is that doing more harm?

it's bad enough that cat's are already taking each others word on some hersay shit. but how would you feel if you saw this:

justin (nsync) thank you so much for the real shit you do, ("i would never fuck with a black jawn" that's why i love you man!

it would be hell up in harlem in this piece.

i understand what racial pride and predjudice is, but read that quote and tell me that shit ain't fucked up.......

g'head read it.

and again, if someone even dares to write "quest you did the same thing"

-i'd never say any blanket statement without a theory
-i use tact in sensitive situations
-i'm not rude.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

april was wack quote of the month. i saved mine for the last day.

(see b.r.other ?uestion's verse on "the session" for the champion of all whack verses)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

MeAnD_7
Charter member
756 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 08:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 22

That quote came from his cover story in "Essence". I don't know who posted it but they are only reporting on what was said in the article. Go back and find it. I don't really see what the big deal is. Why can't he stand up and be proud to say he won't date white women? Is that being rude? Shit, I'm glad he said it. I'm not trying to start anything. Maybe I'm reading too much into your post?

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 08:55 AM

27. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 25

I understand where ?uest is at. I too read that article and don't really remember that quote. I guess it wouldn't be P.C. for D' to have said some ish like that cuz when I read that quote I was saying to myself "Well that's nice for the sistas, but if I was White, how would I feel." At the end of the day I don't think it's wrong to say "I like Chocolate instead of Strawberry". It's not always what you say, it's how you say. Wesley Snipes made a similar statement one time saying that although he found White women to be attractive (to paraphrase) he couldn't see being with one. But I guess that's a bad analogy cuz' he still got an Asian women. . .that's not Black, lol!

I'll say this though, MY *preference* is a Black man first and foremost. I'll take Boriqua, Cuban, Dominican or Brazilian but first and foremost my preference is someone who can relate to me on ALL levels. Perhaps that may come in a different flavor but they are few and far between.

One Love,

(the other)quest

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 09:06 AM

28. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 27

page 188

"We carry a fruit plate and our wine out onto the balcony. Night has fallen, and the moon swims in the East River He playfully feeds me bites of pineapple with his fingers and talks aobut the women in his past, the sistas, the Spanish girl who made him crazy. 'I don't mess with no White girls,' he mumbles--and sounds wistful for that old-time lovin'. "

--me--

"PUT THE MOTHERF*CKING MAGAZINE DOWN AND PLAY YOUR PART.... GOD!!!!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag.ram

"Put the magazine down nigga!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag2.ram

http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild/

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 09:54 AM

30. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 22

?uest,

I was going to explain why I said that, but I would have taken too long (plus I was sleepy, so it didn't feel like it). I knew that I would have to explain myself anyway after someone read what I wrote. So here goes...

Oh and before I get started, that quote is in the article on page 188. Now if the writer of the article made that statement up then I apologise for quoting him for something that he did not say.

Here goes...

I was thanking D' for the statement because I think I know what he was talking about. I don't think he meant it in a mean "I hate white girls" way. I think he made the statement from a cultural and social standpoint. In this society, the media portrays white women as the epitomy of beauty. Just look at the commercials, tv shows, films, magazine covers and advertisements. They totally celebrate the white female aesthetic. When they finally get around to so-called celebrating the black female aesthetic (or any other non-white race) they do it with black women who have Caucasian features (i.e. small nose, lips, light skin, long straight hair).

Black people grow up with these images being branded into our psyche. We try to achieve the the white aesthetic as a result (i.e. skin bleachers, colored contact lenses, chemical hair straightners, nose jobs, etc.). The majority of black men seek these features in black women. I see it all the time, especially with celebrity men. Take a close look at the mates of celebrity men. The majority of them have black women who have Caucasian features. Sometimes you have to stare at the women to try to figure out if they are black. I'm not saying black men shouldn't date these type of black women. I'm saying when they date these type of women exclusively there's a problem. I know I'm not just imagining this. This subject has been studied and documented in several books (but I'm sure you know all of this anyway ?uest).

Let's not even start on videos. Black women with white features are GLORIFIED! Only once in a blue moon do you see dark skinned women. And when you do see them they're in the background somewhere, never the focal point. The only exception I can think of at the moment is Maxwell's "Fortunate" video. I remember D' having a variety of women in his "Brown Sugar" video. Again, thank you D' for that. Thats what I'm talking about. Celebrate all of us not just some of us. There are pretty dark skinned women, ugly dark skinned women, pretty light skinned women, and ugly light skinned women. Some brothas jock light skinned women who aren't even pretty just because they have light skin and long fine hair. And don't tell me its not true. I hear the comments some brothas make. I had one brotha tell me that he liked light skinned women because they were better in bed. I was like WTF! What kind of sense does that make? That was just plain stupid. Think I'm lying about the things that some brothas say? Check out this quote:

"If a Black woman is light skinned with good hair and good features, then she's the shit. Even if she has short hair, but good features, she'll be alright. But a dark skinned girl with short hair can forget it. And if she has a big nose, the she should just be a nun. But if she has long hair and good features, then her skin color can be overlooked. Long hair really helps out those black ugly girls."

-Darryl
The Color Complex: The Politics of Skin Color Among African Americans, by Kathy Russell.

Back to white women...
I see brothas hooking up with white girls for all the wrong reasons (I'm not talking about mixed couples who are truly in love--and that's rare). A lot of brothas do because they want women who aren't going to stand up to them. Hell, they ain't gotta seek out a white girl for that. They can find plenty of black women who are like that. They get with these white girls just to get material things (again you can find black girls how give up the money--trust me I know plenty of them). They get with white girls to get back at "The Man" and a whole bunch of other bullshit reasons.

And no I wouldn't be offended by someone from N'sync saying they don't date black women because I don't care. I don't see anything wrong with D' making the statement because to me it means he sees the beauty of black women. I appreciate him for celebrating us. Remember when Wilt Chamberlain (I know I spelled his name wrong) made that comment about not dating black women because they aren't sophisticated like white women? What about when Dennis Rodman told Oprah he doesn't date black women because they told him he was ugly as a child? That's a fucking cop out. So, I see D's comment as a ode to black women. It's rare when black women are celebrated.

I thank you ?uest for callin' me out because we need to discuss things like this. People are so quick to hide this issue. We NEED to talk about it. And by the way, I sent you an email. You haven't answered me. What up with that (just kidding. I know you're a busy man)? Hit me back when you have time.

Well, I could go on for hours on this topic, but I have to go to work soon, so I'm out. Thanks for the dialogue ?uest.

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 11:44 AM

31. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 30

Ro- even though you dissed me in a previous post, I've got your back on this one. Some people still don't understand that there is a COLOUR COMPLEX issue (Colorstruck) within our race. I debate this regularly on the Blackvoices General page.

Look around, most of OUR men (celebs) got light, bright and damn near white women on their arms. It's a blatant diss when most of their mamas look like the average black women in Amerikkka today.

MeShell breaks that shit down on "Soul On Ice" on the Plantation Lullabies album.

One Love,

(the other)quest

quest

Sun Apr-30-00 11:50 AM

32. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 31

I hate to go here BUT why you thing Angie S. gets dissed so much? What's the first thing that comes to mind when people heard that she was the mother of D's child? You know what!

First thing that came to MY mind was that that brother is for real, on a whole 'nother level!

Why? Cuz' plain and simple. . .Angie don't fit the aesthetic standard of the average chick on a celebs arm, point blank!

One Love,

quest
One Love,

(the other)quest

MeAnD_7
Charter member
756 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 32

Bigg up Rozjack and quest!! You guys are on point. That is why I said I was glad D'Angelo said what he said. I am so fed up with black celebrity males who exclusively date white women. I could give a rat's ass if someone from 'NSYNC said they wouldn't date a black woman. I would say Thanx and keep on steppin'. I appreciate D for celebrating black women in all shades and sizes. I'll admit to being shocked when I first saw Angie Stone and I am not proud of that. I have been misled by what is deemed "beautiful" and "acceptable" in this society. I was expecting her to be young, thin and on the light side. That is what I have come to expect of famous black men. So in a way I was pleasantly surprised to see what she looked like. D went against type. As a young black woman who is on the darker end of the color spectrum I've often wondered if I would ever be in style? White and or Light isn't always right. Thank you for these posts. I'm glad we're discussing this

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 03:46 PM

33. "RE: here we go again"

>Ro- even though you dissed me
>in a previous post, I've
>got your back on this
>one. Some people still
>don't understand that there is
>a COLOUR COMPLEX issue (Colorstruck)
>within our race. I
>debate this regularly on the
>Blackvoices General page.

When did I diss you and what about?

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 10:33 PM

35. "RE: here we go again"

>Ro- even though you dissed me
>in a previous post, I've
>got your back on this
>one.

Oh, no. I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about bdub.

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Sat May-06-00 01:33 PM

38. "RE: here we go again"

Hey gys we are talking these race issues a lot on the board. there is a post on Why do we want to try this again check it out and reply.....

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 09:17 AM

29. "Finally Got it...."
In response to Reply # 0

I got the rolling stone article yesterday. It was pretty good. Then after I read it I put it in my D'angelo stuff bag. THat is so sad I buy every article that I see his name in. I like to research stuff, don't ask.......

But it was really deep. I totally agree with you Quest about what you were saying about the artist. Please help him on his next cut. Yall got to bring him back..............

Alright peace out

C_Jon

"I ain't got no money, but baby I am rich on personality" The Artist

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way" Jessica Rabbit

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sun Apr-30-00 10:36 PM

36. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 0

What's up ?uest? I'm callin' you out now. Just kidding! Just curious about what you thought of my response.

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sat May-06-00 01:22 PM

37. "RE: Rolling StoneD'"
In response to Reply # 0

I had to bring this post back to the front page so Luv lee could read it. I can't believe she said that wack ass shit about Angie Stone.

C_Jon
Charter member
566 posts
Sat May-06-00 01:36 PM

39. "my bad..."
In response to Reply # 37

tell her to also check out the post why are we still caught up in that.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24414 Previous topic | Next topic