Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23191

Subject: "New Okayartists" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
angieee

Thu Jul-06-00 01:03 AM

"New Okayartists"

Hey! Please read Shawn's post:

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/5941.html

Seriously, not dissing a petition at all...it's just that approaching the artist, or writing letters to them does a lot more good than a petition here.

Not everyone WANTS to join okayplayer. It takes TIME to be involved with this website. Also, on the question of money, it takes A LOT OF IT to do an artist site. To get the Common journal going, we had to give up a quarter of our pure site staff (Brian). Who fills that office void? Who looks after the new artist, gets the freshest content, keeps the site updated, designs and changes it...etc...

It's not just up to the okaystaff, by any means.

Please read Shawn's post: http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/5941.html

We've been catching mad board and e-mail heat recently over things we really have no control over.

Have a rich uncle who wants to give us money to keep this going? Hit us up...

angieee ('stress)

First book, The Broke Diaries, coming March 2001, Random House. $9.95.

Read the updates M-F or you'll miss some good shit. http://www.okayplayer.com/updatef.html

See a post that needs to be removed? E-mail help@okayplayer.com

"Okayplayer is addictive like Ebay" - Danja Mowf

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
YOU TELL 'EM, GIRL!!
Jul 06th 2000
A matter of time
Jul 06th 2000
RE: New Okayartists
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
      New Okayartists
angieee
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
serena_love
angieee
Jul 06th 2000
my rich uncle
Jul 06th 2000
My personal feelings are
Jul 06th 2000
I had no clue Ang........
Jul 06th 2000
Thanks for the breakdown...
Jul 08th 2000
I was happy....
Jul 08th 2000
no doubt KD
Jul 09th 2000
Ang, please check your email n/m
Jul 10th 2000
RE: Ang, please check your email n/m
Jul 10th 2000

da8th
Charter member
660 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 03:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "YOU TELL 'EM, GIRL!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Now I know i ain't post in a while, so some of ya'll don't know me, but I had to cease with the okaylurking for a sec to make sure ya'll GET OFF MY GIRL ANG's BACK!!! Sheesh! I mean, she and the rest of the okaystaff put in some looooooooooooooong hours tryin to keep this thing goin for ya'll; the least you could do is appreciate what they do instead of bitchin' about things they can't control! WTF.....you think they aint "Stressed" enuff??

Don't make me find out where you live!!

"This post brought to you by the CEO/President of the official Angieee Nissel fan club, ME!!"

"All ya'll n*ggas lovin' MEEEEEEE!!!" - ODB

eff a long quote....ya'll know who....

da8th has spoken

- dot.|maTic

Check out them Squarebiz kids....

Check out them Squarebiz kids....

"TastyTreats" @ Fluid - 4th &
South between South &
Bainbridge
Saturdays 10-2

**DJ Jazzy Jeff & Pete Rock In
the Sp

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "A matter of time"
In response to Reply # 0

There is no doubt in my mid that Mos and Eryka will soon be okayplayers and I`ll be hapy when it happens.

Non-believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: New Okayartists"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn Angiee, I didn't know it was like that. Peopl have been giving you heat? Well, that's human beings for you.

This month's Featured Artist was a beautiful choice.

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The simple shut doors and screams inside of my head. It wd be difficult. To make such a straightforward document of my life. Because in fact sometimes I yet cannot face understanding that my life has been a roll of minutes. A series of absolutely connected images, being born and passing almost at the same time. I think my life an incredible maze and blotch of shadows, circuses, divas, and floats. Much sadness. Much hapiness. Mostly expectation and desire. And yet it is all here in me to be revealed reunderstood. (Amiri Baraka..."6 Persons", I)

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: New Okayartists"
In response to Reply # 3

dang angieee...is it that bad? i mean, i know i can't front--i was one of the MANY me'shell fans on the site saying she should be affiliated with the site..somehow/someday. I wasn't as vocal as most, but still....

gurl, do i need to bring my broke ass out to philly and regulate on some folks? ain't no need for people to be harassing the okaystaff--as MUCH work as all of you do for little pay, we need to be grateful that this site even EXISTS. so keep up the good work.

P.S. so, you REALLY got a sitcom deal in the works? if so, congrats..do you NEED some writers for your show? other than yourself..i got a wicked sense of dry ass humor..nevamind. i'd probably get your show canceled cause i called some public figure out. what's the premise? who do you want to be in it??

Ryan

Check Out My New Signature, Fam:

"If you don't like me, I'll punch you
dead in the fucking face"
--Vin Diesel (THE FACE--MAY 2000)

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

angieee

Thu Jul-06-00 08:35 AM

5. "New Okayartists"
In response to Reply # 4

>dang angieee...is it that bad?

Damn...I feel like I 'cause I posted that in a rush it might have come off a lil' worse than I meant it to. (look at time...I had literally just hopped off plane and was about to shower to come in to work...)

i
>mean, i know i can't
>front--i was one of the
>MANY me'shell fans on the
>site saying she should be
>affiliated with the site..somehow/someday. I
>wasn't as vocal as most,
>but still....

I'm not saying, don't speak on which artists you want on the site, but posting it here REALLY doesn't help. If an artist doesn't want to be down, they just don't. Some sites PAY artists to join their site...we can't afford that luxury, so we can't COMPETE with them. Point blank. We don't have a huge company backing this site, we don't have investors and we won't splash pimple cream pop up ads on the front page unless ish got so effed up we just had to...we'd clown ourselves for doing it, but let's keep it real. All that *we all have put into this*, we don't want to see it shut down.

>
>gurl, do i need to bring
>my broke ass out to
>philly and regulate on some
>folks?

Naw, but thanks. We deal with the same bullshit any customer service reps do, I guess. Though, I used to work in fast food in high school, though...no one cursed me out there.

See how that person addressed the subject in the post I linked to in my orginal post? There's a way to ask shit. Just ask yoru question, brah. It's like people think we be hating on some folks.
We ain't got no secret okaymanual. We just trying to make dope sites, community and show y'all the artists beyond the videos and the records. It's just not as simple as people think.

As complicated as the MUSIC INDUSTRY is, imagine how crazy it is when your intersect the WEB with THE INDUSTRY. You just injected some new media no one really knows how to deal with on a medium that crazy enough to begin with. And there you have the beginning of an okayplayer artist alliance. I can't believe people think it is just as easy as "Hi, wanna be on okayplayer?" "Cool!" and then we build a site.

so keep up
>the good work.

Thank you...we try...we ain't perfect. We work hard as shit, though.

>P.S. so, you REALLY got a
>sitcom deal in the works?

I've been approached by two tv people about turning my unreleased book into a show...that means NOTHING yet. Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. I'm still buggin I got a book deal without trying. I'll keep you updated...

angieee ('stress)

Read the updates M-F or you'll miss some good shit. http://www.okayplayer.com/updatef.html

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:22 PM

9. "RE: New Okayartists"
In response to Reply # 5

agreed....you and everyone else on the okaystaff work their asses off to run this site effectively. i KNOW it can get on your nerves to have folk bug you day in and day out in regard to WHO was picked to be an okayartist or a featured artist/WHY an artist was picked, etc. you have a LOT more patience than i do (cause, i would have probably gone insane kirking off {one of the many dc phrases i acquire while i was their a few summer ago! } on folk for stressing me.

once again, keep up the good work! i doubt people say that to all of you in philly. people do seem to take this site for granted and DO NOT seem to remember what cyberspace was like WITHOUT okayplayer.com

rich uncles? i do'thave any...but, i can do some digging im sure i have a white canty that owns property in london (where my name originated from). i'm sure a quick trip over there, and i can get the money.... OH WAIT! the non-black relatives don't claim us (snapping fingers) DARN!..i'll keep looking though. if i get rich in the near future (or, end up on a tv show as a cast member..HELL, it could happen! ), i'll definitely send you a HEALTHY deposit.

Ryan

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:27 PM

10. "RE: New Okayartists"
In response to Reply # 9

random sidebar: i just read thursday's news post. i assume you wrote it. if so, you're right: having common and me'shell on is quite a beautiful thing. irregardless of how common feels about homosexuality, BOTH are talented artists who rightfully deserve to SHARE space at this spot on the internet.

I AM FEELING a collabo between the two...someday (couldn't you? me'shell and common rhyming together/Hub and Me'Shell playing bass/the jazzys and jaguar singing background {w/jill scott too}/and ?uestlove playing drums.... i can dream, can't i? )

Ryan

--bell hooks

--Lorraine Hansberry

--Jewel McCabe"

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

angieee

Thu Jul-06-00 08:53 AM

6. "serena_love"
In response to Reply # 0

Got deleted because of the "hey angieee"...don't fret. Rules thing, because it takes up board space to address one person when you could have e-mailed 'em. You post was still on my hard drive, so I'm posting the answers here, just in case anyone else wants to see them...Thanks so much for the concern. I don't want to make it seem all serious though...there are more pressing issues in the world than the future of this site...I just kinda feel weird bringing so much attention to it...Then again, eff that. we work hard as eff. Here's your answers.

1) OKPs who build websites and are good at it could help out with some stuff so that we really are part of the site!

...That would be GREAT and WORD IS BOND we appreciate all the help we get offered...thing is, it's hard enough managing a tiny in-house office web staff with people whose personalities you know. Imagine managing a group of people from all over the world you've never met. Talk about hard to delegate tasks! Also, if someone messed up, what could we do? Not like we're paying y'all! If something was late or an okayartist was unhappy with something...what would be do "Oh...go see the free help...they fucked up!"

As much as we would like to have a huge tech staff, we also want to do it the right way.

2) We could start a "Keep the okayplayer site up" fund.

I could see the chaos now with y'all demanding asses. "I gave my $2...I want a new front page every month!" Actually, even better than this, y'all could just spread the word of the site and how much you enjoy it. I'm not too worried, though. I see all these sites coming up with MILLIONS of dollars and their shit don't even work or their content sucks. Investors bailing out on 'em. I believe when the dust settles, all these sites that don't know the first thing about the Net will fall and the sturdy lil' mom and pop joints will remain.

3) OKP's could throw functions, parties, stuff like that to raise money for okp.

I don't know about the rest of the staff, but I'd feel like shit taking y'all money. Plus, we're trying to compete with the big boys here. We want to have y'all's music up here right by the okayartists, we want to have so much. but so much doesn't come cheap.

4) Me and SqueeGeeXM could move to philly and donate our services! damnit we wanna be up outta chicago, we're fresh talented web page builders and we wanna work for you!

Y'all tooo sweet!
Donate...yeah, how long would that last?!! Salvation Army Web Builders
Uhm, y'all know Cold Fusion? Feel free to strike my last remark and donate on!

Every little thing is gonna be alright... (c) Bob Marley..

Thanks, girl.

angieee ('stress)

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 11:15 AM

7. "my rich uncle"
In response to Reply # 0

aim:lay z boi
picture of me and tay, my daughter: http://hometown.aol.com//layzboi/index.html

his name is mith.
wills mith
give him a call, he's from philly. ok i tried to sneak a petition in.

but really if you really want that book to sell real well. you need to get the shiny suit baby. you know how everybody loved that halter top pic? now just imagine if you had the shiny halter top on, with the shiny pants. whooooooo!!!!!

crystal any one? (you can tell i don't drink that ish, i think i spelled it wrong)

"he's dated tyra banks, and is now married to vanessa williams. obviously the NBA is not the only major league he's played"
-bob costas on rick fox

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 12:35 PM

8. "My personal feelings are"
In response to Reply # 0

If Mos. Erkah Ded Prez or whoever else thinks its important to have a web precense then they will. I think OKP i s unique in that it seems like the artist are actually involved in the community and id rather see it grow organicly and slowly rather then it become huge and faceless

sure i would like to design stuf for okp
sure I have lots of ideas about improving the site
but I respect and trust the staff to do what they been doing to keep it going
my only real concern is as talented a designer as new guy is and as funny a writer as angie is they dont get snacthed up by the man offering them big salerys and leave OKP for other intrest but if they did i would wish them love cause i think any younf talented person should be able to turn a profit in this age and maintain there conviction

OK im done ranting
keep the pushing yall you inspire more people then you know

If there is no struggle there is no progress
Those who profess to favor freedom yet
deprecate agitation are men who want the crops
without plowing up the ground they want the rain without the thunder and lighting power concedes nothing without demand it never has and it never will
- Fredrick Douglas

http://www.euphon.com/dreadmedia

http://www.ventmag.com

viagramakesmeimpotent
Charter member
4420 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I had no clue Ang........"
In response to Reply # 0

That yall had to go through so much to do a web site for folks........ I've declined in my petition For the Bep's. Now i'll just petition for you to be my baby's mama. :-D

Founder of M.W.S
(Insert Comment HERE) We insert all the time

Founder of M.W.S
(Insert comment here) We insert all the time!

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Jul-08-00 02:59 AM

12. "Thanks for the breakdown..."
In response to Reply # 0

It helps to know what goes on behind the OK doors in order to get a n Artist on. Much more than most of us imagined I dare say. I can't say this enough...ALL OF YOU AT OKAYPLAYER DO AN AMAZING JOB!!

And you're choice of Meshell as a featured artist is the best thing yet!! I do have a question Angie, if you can answer it...has Meshell actually been approached to become a regular OK artist? If so is there any chance at all that it MIGHT happen in the future? I know she has two sites already one run by Maverick and another (better) one created by ArtistsOne or something...but OKAYPLATER seems like such a perfect fit for her....

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

KDfromWestP
Charter member
562 posts
Sat Jul-08-00 08:27 AM

13. "I was happy...."
In response to Reply # 0

when this was just The Roots website......everything else I look at as a bonus, nahmean?

keep doing your thing staff, we apreciate it

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Sun Jul-09-00 09:21 PM

14. "no doubt KD"
In response to Reply # 13

It was cool with the Roots... the other artists make it like a new treat everyday in your lunchbox! Okaystaff has put together not only a great site, but a great bunch of talent too!
It seems like new players are joining every day too - I wonder - has their ever been a count done of how many people are actually registered here?
It's all pretty amazing.
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"Cuz you answer the phone 'Peace', does that mean you not a freak?" - Common

****Celebrating Ju-Lie!!****

"I much prefer eating this cookie to smoking that blunt - thank you for offering though" - twistyroad

"I don't mind having the lowest score - I'm very non-competitive" - Goldenwon

"I really love Seattle!" ?uestlove

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 04:00 AM

15. "Ang, please check your email n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

CELEBRATING JULY AS FAKE QUOTE MONTH-The Okaystaff/Artist Edition

"So, uhm Rakaa and Iriscience aren't the same person...wonder which one I've been sleeping with?
Hate when that happens." -Angieee

"My next single will be a Beastie Boys cover"- D'Angelo

"How the fuck did that bitch get those naked photos of us?" -Rakaa and Iriscience (see the Okayartist board for clarity)

"Tomorrow is Register Multiple Names Day on Okayplayer!" - Shawn Gee

"Drumming is so last century..I'm turning in my sticks for a pair of moroccas" - ?uestlove

"Moderating was the best thing that ever happened to me" - Improv

"Help! I just recovered from my hangover and I'm locked in my room in Philly at the Holiday Inn!" - Steve

"We're only in this business for the money." - The JazzyFatNastees

"Got dammit! I got cornbread stuck in my teeth again!" - Common

"Jay-Z writes all my rhymes" - Oracle

cocoaprince
Charter member
237 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 05:51 AM

16. "RE: Ang, please check your email n/m"
In response to Reply # 15

big props to angiee and all the okayplayers, yall ok, players.........!

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23191 Previous topic | Next topic