Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23149

Subject: "Avant aint that bad...." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Thu Jun-22-00 04:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Avant aint that bad...."

I mean, just cause you want your hometown MC's on okayplayer dont mean you gotta just blindly hate other artists.

I was about to dislike this cat too just based on you fools but that song "Seperated" aint bad at all. I aint know that was Avant.

You should listen to a little more of an artists material before you start runnin ya yap!

I still dont know if he's any good but i'ma wait and give an opinion lata!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
http://www.Quez.Bored.org
click there ===> http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Referrals/Quez/

"if you want it I got it come and get it I'm wit it" --- Talib Kweli

"Hiphop you my BITCH and like a Ford I'm Exporin you" - Common

"I make niggas co-sign, on how many different flows I got" --- Planet A.S.I.A.

"The truth is, my crew is, the smoothest spitters of saliva juices like The Roots is, more Organic than acoustics" ---- Talib Kweli

oh well

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*Smirks*
Jun 22nd 2000
word
Jun 22nd 2000
      BWAHAHAHAHAH@ gold tooth....
Jun 23rd 2000
RE: Avant aint that bad....
Jun 22nd 2000
scorpion9
Jun 23rd 2000
His crazy song...
Jun 23rd 2000
My opinion....
Jun 23rd 2000
RE: My opinion....
Jun 23rd 2000
HAHAHAHA!!!!
Jun 23rd 2000
      r. kelly jr?!
Jun 23rd 2000
           Take that is dope
Jun 30th 2000
Jun 23rd 2000
Jun 24th 2000
Jun 28th 2000
The song makes no damn sense
Jun 23rd 2000
sorry...damn enter button
Jun 23rd 2000
judging from the 1st single
Jun 23rd 2000
Jun 23rd 2000
cesty
Jun 23rd 2000
Jun 23rd 2000
epiphany
Jun 23rd 2000
PrimeTime
Jun 25th 2000
vuduchild
Jun 25th 2000
Jun 25th 2000
I get the impression.........
Jun 25th 2000
RE: I get the impression.........
Jun 26th 2000
I WOULDN'T
Jun 27th 2000
      RE: I WOULDN'T
Jun 28th 2000
      ARA Kelly
Jun 28th 2000
      RE: ARA Kelly
Jun 28th 2000
      do you know him????
Jul 09th 2000
I dig that song, too.
Jun 28th 2000
That video scene
Jun 29th 2000
Ya know...Dude DOES have a CD out
Jun 29th 2000
RE: Ya know...Dude DOES have a CD out
Jun 29th 2000
      here's my point...
Jun 29th 2000
Yes, hell he is......
Jun 29th 2000
RE: Yes, hell he is......
Jun 29th 2000
I hate him
Jun 30th 2000
I remember....
septa52
Jul 10th 2000
      no.......
Jul 10th 2000

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Thu Jun-22-00 06:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "*Smirks*"
In response to Reply # 0

he is a hometown artist of mine and he SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET HIM OUTTA HERE BLUH!

-Serena

Serena_Love & Raina the sexiest tag team the okayplayas have ever seen.

LEAH (evolution_23) for president!

"The new nachos bell grande is freaky deaky big! Crazy butt bumpin big!"-Some uncle tom ass negro readin some ish some kkk members wrote for a taco bell commercial, ain't that some shit?(this is a real commercial!)

O.K.P.D.D.A.(OkayPlayette Double-D Association)
sonyasimone-President
LordLadypharr-Vice President
krylonwifey1979-Treasurer
serena_love-Secretary

You like poetry? Go to http://welcome.to/theloveshack to see poetry from the executive bitch pres. NOW!

notnac
Charter member
1607 posts
Thu Jun-22-00 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "word"
In response to Reply # 1

dude's wack. I saw his video and was wonderin' when sparkle was gonna show up and slap him. I was disappointed at seeing this clown in the featured artist page. Sorry, but that's my opinion. But hey at least he's not a front page artist. What a waste of flash that would be. Imagine trying to find the gold tooth to enter the pawn shop or something. I'm forever stuck in Dilated's waiting for the damn train. What is this, Speed?

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 05:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "BWAHAHAHAHAH@ gold tooth...."
In response to Reply # 3

to get into pawn shop! that ish is funny as hell. Oh and I got through the dialated site and found the tape. I'm so proud of me!

-Serena

Serena_Love & Raina the sexiest tag team the okayplayas have ever seen.

LEAH (evolution_23) for president!

"The new nachos bell grande is freaky deaky big! Crazy butt bumpin big!"-Some uncle tom ass negro readin some ish some kkk members wrote for a taco bell commercial, ain't that some shit?(this is a real commercial!)

O.K.P.D.D.A.(OkayPlayette Double-D Association)
sonyasimone-President
LordLadypharr-Vice President
krylonwifey1979-Treasurer
serena_love-Secretary

You like poetry? Go to http://welcome.to/theloveshack to see poetry from the executive bitch pres. NOW!

april_dawn
Charter member
26 posts
Thu Jun-22-00 06:28 PM

2. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 0

You're right. The song isn't terrible. He just sounds a lot like a R.Kelly wannabe.

Peace.

scorpion9

Fri Jun-23-00 05:02 AM

4. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 2

My thoughts exactly. He wants to sound and look like R; not happening man.
But you know R is changing his style back to thug style so this may not be the last wannabe we see.

the2ndsurvivor
Charter member
3106 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 05:25 AM

6. "His crazy song..."
In response to Reply # 0

Avant is an R.Kelly Mini-me.

WORDS OF WISDOM:

"Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, in the clear."---Keith's Philosophies on Life

"It ain't about the muscles if you know how to use the knuckles."---my little sister

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes
4 muscles to extend your arm and
bitch-slap the fool upside the head..."---anonymous

Look over to your left...yeah, up in the corner. As a suggestion, you may want to take two.

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 05:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "My opinion...."
In response to Reply # 0

Ok now that i actually went and heard some of the tracks... and saw the video on this site, i do see the R. Kelly resemblance in the look and sound. However... this cat is an up and comer and you we dont know much about him. They attached Mos Def to Q-Tip, D'angelo to Prince, and Dru Hill to Jodeci.... and look at these acts now.

I did think it was R. Kelly singin that Seperated song, and I did thing it was Jodeci when i heard the first few Dru Hill joints but that doesnt make an artist "suck". Avant's shit sounds a lot better than a lot of the bubble gum R&B out there... probably thanks to the R. Kelly influence.

Deal wit it... the music aint bad IMO
But he may have to innovate just like the above mentioned artists to ever have an identity in this business.

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin

"The truth is, my crew is, the smoothest spitters of saliva juices like The Roots is, more Organic than acoustics" ---- Talib Kweli

oh well

blakgirl
Member since Oct 27th 2002
307 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 05:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: My opinion...."
In response to Reply # 7

i saw him not perform (aka lip sync) at a soul train taping and let's just say he is trying too dayum hard to rk. he is a broke, mini-me r.kelly.

quez, i'ma let this go. i have faith that you will redeem yourself.

blak.

to new to be right.

blak.

i'm baaaaaaack.

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 06:01 AM

9. "HAHAHAHA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Guess i'm wrong.... but the tracks are still tolerable. And thats a lot to say considering I cant even stomach most R&B nowadays.

fuck it, why am i defending someone when i aint even heard they album! Later i need some food!

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin

oh well

cocoaprince
Charter member
237 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 08:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "r. kelly jr?!"
In response to Reply # 9

come on, i aint feeling that or the "twisted" video but he does have a good professionalism tatic at least on "live in l.a.". neither am i feeling that ginuwine-biter corey on "take that". it's gonna take both of them a while to get out of that shadow of their "inspirations".

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Fri Jun-30-00 02:07 AM

38. "Take that is dope"
In response to Reply # 10

The singer doesn't have the greatest voice or anything but the beat mixed with his delivery works.Im really feeling this song.

Non-believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 05:14 PM

18. "RE: My opinion...."
In response to Reply # 7

They attached
>Mos Def to Q-Tip, D'angelo
>to Prince, and Dru Hill
>to Jodeci.... and look at
>these acts now.

Big difference between an artist sounding similar to another, but adding their own flavor and trying to sound(and look)exactly like them.

>
>I did think it was R.
>Kelly singin that Seperated song,

How could you think it was R. Kelly? I immediately thought, "Who is this trying to sound like R. Kelly?" I love me some R. so I know when I hear him. By the way has anybody noticed how much R. has grown as a songwriter (from his debute album to R.)? Check out the lyrics on Bad Man (Shaft sndtrk); how he uses elements of that famous bible verse. Hella tight! Of course he ain't on the lyrical level of D', but he's still a dope ass writer nonetheless.

>and I did thing it
>was Jodeci when i heard
>the first few Dru Hill
>joints but that doesnt make
>an artist "suck".

That's why I hated Dru Hill when they first came out and I still don't like them. I was pissed off because here I was dying for some more Jodeci and these bitin' ass muthafuckas show up claimin' all the fame. Where's my Jodeci anyway goddamn it?

Avant's
>shit sounds a lot better
>than a lot of the
>bubble gum R&B out there...
>probably thanks to the R.
>Kelly influence.

He sounds no different than Next, Ideal, Jagged Edge, etc.

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Sat Jun-24-00 10:04 PM

19. "RE: My opinion...."
In response to Reply # 18

>He sounds no different than Next,
>Ideal, Jagged Edge, etc.

umm... He sounds like R. Kelly, which i must say aint a bad thing. I think you people are just too stuck on the Neo-Soul thing. I mean D'angelo and his A-alikes are my shit but I do like some of Jagged Edges shit and 112's first album was a CLASSIC in my opinion! (many good nights i must say) I'm like both "Seperated" and "Seperate" from Avant. Even tho Destiny's Child has just warn the whole Drum Machine tool OUT!!!, its well done on "Seperate" feating non other than a Destiny Childs member.

I'm sorry but i think some of you people are just "holdin dicks in CD collections" (c) Common

**** DISCLAIMER!!! -----> I'm an asshole. Please take the following personal ****

(no message... sorry folks)

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin

oh well

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Wed Jun-28-00 07:27 AM

27. "RE: My opinion...."
In response to Reply # 19

>I think you people are
>just too stuck on the
>Neo-Soul thing.

It's not about being stuck on the "neo-soul" thing. It's about embracing the kind of music I grew up on. I didn't grow up on overly synthesized music, with wack assed lyrics. I grew up on the likes of Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Minnie Riperton, The Isley Brothers, Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie Wonder, etc.

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 08:08 AM

11. "The song makes no damn sense"
In response to Reply # 0

-Serena

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 08:10 AM

13. "sorry...damn enter button"
In response to Reply # 11

he goes on and on about how trife she is and then acts like when they are apart that they are supposed to be gettin along or something. it's so stupid. then the video looks mad mad cheap like something i could make, and bluh just bluh on avant.

-Serena

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 08:09 AM

12. "judging from the 1st single"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll keep my wallet in my purse and wait for the awra kelly album.

thank you and have a great day.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :7

"as long as we act like devils the devils will be worst devils and they will feed off our ignorance of our god like qualities" - nebt het

"I'm going to honkey hell!" - Shaka Sankofa

"cuz intelligent ass has bullshit detectors for assinine dicks w/hidden agendas...AAHH!!!...don't touch that tit: it detonates" - asighn4jane aka Okp's resident poet laureate

"CAN YOU DIG IT!"- Shaquille Oneal

"I wanna send yo skank ass to go get me a sandwhich and a snapple while I watch the game in peace." - NazDak

yo dun, i know you have a sense of humor, if not, toss this salad and show respect to a creative poster!!!! -okayplayer the truth

Holier-Than-Thou-Bitch-Killer
Raspberry Stolli Vodka-Sloegin-Curacao-2 ozs of Cherry Brandy-A splash of cranberry juice-Crushed ice-all in a pint glass For all these self righteous broads.on dat ice - datgirl sonyasimone

firefire100@hotmail.com

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

krewcial
Charter member
3268 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 08:58 AM

14. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 0

>I mean, just cause you want
>your hometown MC's on okayplayer
>dont mean you gotta just
>blindly hate other artists.

If I don't like it, I don't like it, it doesn't mean that I'm hating

And that has nothing to do with preferring "hometown" MC's. Except for Dilated, I didn't know any of the featured artists, BUT I was surprised and happy to discover unknown talent every time (Flo Brown!).
IMO, Avant doesn't really fit the vibe on okayplayer (and I'll admit it's impossible to describe that vibe, but I think most of us know what I mean).
I'm not saying every featured artist has to sound like or work withThe Roots, all I'm expecting from them is that they're originators in a certain way. I've had that feeling/impression with EVERY feat. artist so far, NOT with Avant. (I'm not the biggest Dilated fan, but at the same time I do think they 'belong' here.)

I know I can't rationalize what I'm saying (since it's all 'feeling' and 'impression'), but from what I've seen on the boards so far most okp'ers seem to feel the same way.

>You should listen to a little
>more of an artists material
>before you start runnin ya
>yap!

ANY artist deciding to release a song/single/12",
KNOWS that people will make a judgement, based on that. Your first impression is vital, for ANY artist. To me it's like this : if all of Avant's stuff sounds like the tracks on okayplayer, I ain't even trying to get to know what he's doing.
I mean : there's plenty of good, honest, original music out there, I don't have spare time to listen to a RK clone. If I don't even dig RK, why would I listen to a CLONE ?

IF you can't take the heat as an artist, better keep making demos in your bedroom …

>I still dont know if he's
>any good but i'ma wait
>and give an opinion lata!

Sorry, maybe I'm not as patient as you. Tastes differ, ain't nothing wrong with that.

krewc

OKAYPLAYERSONG PT. 2 :
Real Audio : http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators/audio/okp2s.rm
MP3 : http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators/audio/okp2s.mp3

OKAYPLAYERSONG PT. 1 (the original baybee !!):
MP3 : http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators/audio/okplayer.mp3

homebase : http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators

I'm part of this too ... :
http://www.thejawn.com/okprod/

and here are the instrumentals for my next album (in MP3-format) :
http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators/audio/instrus.html

'We've got to change our own minds about each other. We have to see each other with new eyes. We have to see each other as brothers and sisters. We have to come together with warmth'

krewcial
www.krewcial.com
www.myspace.com/krewcial
www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23051&forum=lesson

http://www.23hq.com/krewcial/photo/1085564?album_id=1085556

Nashville recording sessions : www.krewcial.com/nashville

cesty

Fri Jun-23-00 11:04 AM

15. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 14

He's alright, I think some folks are too quick to judge. Before we banish him from okayplayerland how about we check what he comes with next. Somebody up in here must like him if he is a featured artist. I bet if BT or Com dropped a verse or ?uest did a remix, ya'll prolly feel him. Notice, I said prolly, gib da maan ah chaance!!

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Fri Jun-23-00 11:08 AM

16. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 15

he can eat a dick sandwich. hate that stupid video.

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

epiphany

Fri Jun-23-00 11:57 AM

17. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 0

SSSSSHHHHHHHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT!

"the Pu-tang Clan!?! I loooovveee you guys!" -Hugh Heffner, when he met the RZA at a backstreet boys party

PrimeTime

Sun Jun-25-00 11:07 AM

20. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 17

After reading this thread ... there is all of this talk about how Avant is a R.Kelly soundalike, but how quick we are to forget that when R.Kelly came out he was catching heat for trying to sound like Aaron Hall (who by the way has one of the better R+B voices going). If this is any indication, seeing how R.Kelly had success while sounding like the great Aaron Hall then it is possible for Avant to parallel this success.
Please email me at stupidstar@aol.com if you think I'm off base or agree with me
Nick

vuduchild

Sun Jun-25-00 01:07 PM

21. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 20

Yeah, he is. The "Separated" song was tolerable, but that doesn't make it anything close to good. It was just formulaic mainstream R&B sheeeiiitt, that made absolutely no attempt at contributing or innovating anything about the art. I was about to say that they should have given Bilal the Featured Artist page, but with the way things are sounding, he's gonna have his own Bilal Page up here at some point (of course I usually only hear what I want to hear, but whatever). Now that cat is innovative!! Phuck mainstream shit! The only mainstream album that I've really felt in years was Carl Thomas's "Emotional." Dayum, that a good album! Innovating, stimulating, and yet still radio friendly. Who knew there was such a thing? Now that cat needs to drop the Bad Boy shit, get some live music to back those vocals, and make the world a better place! But that's entirely a different story, so I'm out. Love and respect.
-B

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sun Jun-25-00 02:33 PM

22. "RE: Avant aint that bad...."
In response to Reply # 20

>when R.Kelly came out he
>was catching heat for trying
>to sound like Aaron Hall
>(who by the way has
>one of the better R+B
>voices going

But Aaron Hall is just a bootleg Charlie Wilson...

--me--
http://www.thejawn.com/
http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild
http://www.thejawn.com/okprod

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Sun Jun-25-00 04:41 PM

23. "I get the impression........."
In response to Reply # 0

that if R. Kelly's name was on these songs... 75% of the peeps on this thread would be in the Lesson talkin about how Kelly's new shit is their JAM!

but you aint hear that from me!

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin

oh well

blakgirl
Member since Oct 27th 2002
307 posts
Mon Jun-26-00 05:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "RE: I get the impression........."
In response to Reply # 23

arra kelly has talent. he writes, produces, etc. and it's back to the old, old school, the stuff my daddy would be bumpin', 'cuz his @$$ is deaf in the middle of the night while me and my sistas is tryna sleep. it's beautiful, most of the time (i dunno 'bout that half on a baby joint).

avant is tryin' too hard.

blak.

to new to be right.

blak.

i'm baaaaaaack.

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Tue Jun-27-00 06:30 PM

25. "I WOULDN'T"
In response to Reply # 23

personally i think r. kelly is a stuck up, stupid, talentless bastad. but like someone said up there that's just me. have you heard his shit ( and i do mean shit ) off the shaft soundtrack? " i was born in these streets, i grew up in these streets blah blah blah in these streets" give me an effing break. it's just a r&b version of "Ha" by juvenile. bluh, bluh forever for r. kelly. he makes one song that's a hit and makes all his other songs sound just like them. (sounds kinda like britney spears don't it!)

-Serena

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Wed Jun-28-00 07:20 AM

26. "RE: I WOULDN'T"
In response to Reply # 25

>personally i think r. kelly is
>a stuck up, stupid, talentless
>bastad. but like someone said
>up there that's just me.

Have you met him?

>have you heard his shit
>( and i do mean
>shit ) off the shaft
>soundtrack? " i was born
>in these streets, i grew
>up in these streets blah
>blah blah in these streets"
>give me an effing break.
>it's just a r&b version
>of "Ha" by juvenile.

Girl, what are you talking about? That's the beauty of the song. Don't you know that repetiton and key words (using "streets" over and over) is a classic element of Black music? And as I mentioned before, his usage of elements of that bible verse is brilliant--mixing the secular with the sacred.

bluh,
>bluh forever for r. kelly.
>he makes one song that's
>a hit and makes all
>his other songs sound just
>like them. (sounds kinda like
>britney spears don't it!)

Now I know your on some kind of narcotic.

Not hostile, just dialoging.

kec
Charter member
24829 posts
Wed Jun-28-00 07:33 AM

29. "ARA Kelly"

he's cool peeps, met him on several occasions even when he was in high school...waaaaaay back in da day and after he became a *supastar..that nigga still be balling at the cage on 63rd and Stony. i don't think he's conceited just confident..he's been doing this shit for years..he did it the old fashion way performing at local talent shows and even on "L" platform so I gotta give dude his props. now as for lyrics let be real Kelly's shit is ghetto fabulous unlike others he comes up with some shit that you wouldn't expect to hear in a r&b song and makes it a ghetto hit ( half on a baby...u remind me of my jeep) but that was cool for him....we don't need a million ara kelly's running around. same thing as dru hill i never dug them cause sisqo tried to hard to emulate kc's sound and there were an abundance of groups that tried to do the same thing. i don't like avant cause he sounds like the rest of these cats nothing new or innovative at all...who buys th eimitation when you can get the real thang
kEc
change is inevitable...

http://illkec.wordpress.com/

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Wed Jun-28-00 11:09 AM

30. "RE: ARA Kelly"
In response to Reply # 29

Good response kec. I mentioned above how much R. Kelly has grown as a writer. A lot of people were offended by the lyrics in You Remind Me. They said that they were sexist toward women. Well, I didn't look at it that way. I didn't see it as comparing women to cars. I saw it as R. using cars as a metophor to describe what he wanted to do with and to a woman. He picked a different way of saying it. That's creative. It's better than just coming right out and saying it.

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Sun Jul-09-00 07:35 PM

39. "do you know him????"

>personally i think r. kelly is
>a stuck up, stupid, talentless
>bastad. but like someone said
>up there that's just me.

Umm, sound like one of two things.... 1) you got played by him or 2) you just another impressionable hater

i know yall dont care, but i'ma say what i gotta say any DAMN way.... (c) Quez

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
homepage: http://www.Quez.Bored.org
AIM: Queztions

oh well

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Wed Jun-28-00 07:29 AM

28. "I dig that song, too."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't really tell why I like it, though. Everytime I hear it, I start bobbing my head like the video.

Mmmm hmmm mmmm-mmmm (or whatever)

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 04:14 AM

31. "That video scene"
In response to Reply # 28

is wick wick wack! simply cuz awra awraready did it back in the day..

the song is bad and i don't care who says it isn't

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Mike
Member since May 07th 2003
0 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 06:34 AM

32. "Ya know...Dude DOES have a CD out"
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously none of y'all have heard it.

But of course it's so wack why woud you even bother.

Remember Left & Right? D'angelo's first single?

Bet y'all didn't know they released Adrenaline and You Dont See Us from TFA to DJ's WAAAY before you got me came out.

Bruh just don't sould like Rob to me.

Classic case of judging the book from the cover.

---

'Don't worry 'bout what the fuck I be doin'- Smokey

'Are you on Okayplayer?'-My publicist Staci

Hate the radio?
Too bad.

Chicago's #1 rated night show
Click Below...

http://www.thebadboyz.com/index2.htm

Mike Love

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 07:59 AM

33. "RE: Ya know...Dude DOES have a CD out"
In response to Reply # 32

>Remember Left & Right? D'angelo's
>first single?

yes? and????

>Bet y'all didn't know they released
>Adrenaline and You Dont See
>Us from TFA to DJ's
>WAAAY before you got me
>came out.

umm, yes "We" do, You Dont See Us better know as "P's and Q's" back then was the first TFA track i heard then Adrenaline popped up later. But what in the hell is your point?

>Bruh just don't sould like Rob
>to me.
>
>Classic case of judging the book
>from the cover.

I think he does sound a bit like him, and he tends to look a little like him too... thats why you got all these hostile peeps on this thread right now!

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin

oh well

Mike
Member since May 07th 2003
0 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 10:35 AM

36. "here's my point..."
In response to Reply # 33

Those songs were used to point out the fact that they were arguably weak for first singles, and that you shouldn't judge a whole project by a first single. The only difference is Seperated has gone #1 and that means a lot of radio and video play and those songs tend to wear on your nerves.

As far as all the other heads up in hear feelin' like he sounds like R Kelly? Thats opinion. There's a lot of that here. Damn, listen to Bad Man. Rob's sound, his attitude his lyrics, 'I was born in these streets, raised in these streets'. Come on y'all, Kelly is LIGHT YEARS from Avant on the talent spectrum.

But that's MY opinion.

---

'Don't worry 'bout what the fuck I be doin'- Smokey

'Are you on Okayplayer?'-My publicist Staci

Hate the radio?
Too bad.

Chicago's #1 rated night show
Click Below...

http://www.thebadboyz.com/index2.htm

Mike Love

LoveJonez
Charter member
28186 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 09:36 AM

34. "Yes, hell he is......"
In response to Reply # 0

Ara Kelly oughta sue his ass for impersonating him. Magic Johnson must have a good legal team...he knew better than releasing that...

The video....can't yawl see the parallels.....
To Be Continued.....

So what's gonna happen next...Mr. Bigs gonna come and save his ass?

C'mon man....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Love 2 Love U! *Smuwah* Okaykisses

Coming...Sept. 15, 2000 "A LoveJonez in St.Louis"
}> The Midwest may never recover }>
~DSTL1 & LoveJonez 2000

"And if you don't believe that they do. They do come true.
For dear, my dreams come true when I look at you."
~Stevie Wonder- "Overjoyed"

"Even if it take forever and a day for me 2 do. I've gotta Send It On 2 u."
~D'Angelo '00

"She had like....Go-Go Gadget Hair!!"
~DSTL1

"We're the Playas, number one."
~D'Angelo '00

SensualiTee@hotmail.com

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 10:13 AM

35. "RE: Yes, hell he is......"
In response to Reply # 34

>So what's gonna happen next...Mr. Bigs
>gonna come and save his
>ass?
>

that's funny

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Fri Jun-30-00 02:03 AM

37. "I hate him"
In response to Reply # 0

I just can't stand that nigga.The song is horrible.It usually takes me about a split second in average for me to switch the channel when I see his crap come on the screen.I was very dissapointed when I saw him as a featured artist.

Non-believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1

septa52

Mon Jul-10-00 06:09 AM

40. "I remember...."
In response to Reply # 37

When R. Kelly first came out a lot of people said he sounded like and bit off of Aaron Hall-(who people say sounded like Charlie Wilson-who people say sounded Stevie Wonder).

But,that Avant guy still sucks!!!!

-septa52
"Damn! Damn! Damn!" - Florida Evans

"All My LIFE I Had To Fight..."-Sophia, The Color Purple

cocoaprince
Charter member
237 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 06:15 AM

41. "no......."
In response to Reply # 40

r.kelly was licking aaron hall's shoes trying to sing like him. that's the thing about imitators, they may succeed at biting for a moment. but r. knew he couldnt do that forever.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23149 Previous topic | Next topic