Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23117

Subject: "meshell - featured artist" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
shockalicious

Wed Jul-05-00 01:18 PM

"meshell - featured artist"

wow.. it's great to see Meshell Ndegeocello on okayplayer. she's a true artist, singer/songwriter, a fantastic musician, apparently amazing 'live' - nicely done site too, but what is she up to now?

bitter is a year old - does she have any new projects coming out?

whats the deal with the Bakir Shakur (hope i got that right) pseudonym?

any chance of her working with okayartists?

i'd love to hear her combine her talents with the soulquarians - particularly with D'Angelo

maybe she could even become a fully fledged okayartist?

s ckasmic

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I too, am excited.
Jul 05th 2000
RE: meshell - featured artist
Jul 05th 2000
don't u luv her?!
Jul 06th 2000
GURL..I LUB HER! :)
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
She needs a best of.
Jul 06th 2000
she needs a pedastal
Jul 06th 2000
Meshell is the greatest...
REN
Jul 06th 2000
Peace Beyond Passion
Jul 06th 2000
btw Fire..
shockalicious
Jul 06th 2000
      u got it
Jul 07th 2000
           thank you, bobby byrd... n/m
shockalicious
Jul 09th 2000
thank you.
abrock
Jul 07th 2000
ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3
mariaaj
Jul 07th 2000
AMEN...damn it's about time!
Jul 08th 2000
i had heard that
shockalicious
Jul 09th 2000
      RE: i had heard that
Jul 09th 2000
           RE: i had heard that
Jul 10th 2000
No one more worthy..
Jul 10th 2000

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Wed Jul-05-00 05:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I too, am excited."
In response to Reply # 0

I casually strolled over to the "Featured Artist" section, and I see the beautiful and talented Me'Shell, a DC native, in the section.
Her music was with me when I didn't think I had the strength to be the woman I needed to be. But moreover, her strength and honesty spills forth through her music.

I applaud whomever's responsible for choosing Me'Shell.

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The simple shut doors and screams inside of my head. It wd be difficult. To make such a straightforward document of my life. Because in fact sometimes I yet cannot face understanding that my life has been a roll of minutes. A series of absolutely connected images, being born and passing almost at the same time. I think my life an incredible maze and blotch of shadows, circuses, divas, and floats. Much sadness. Much hapiness. Mostly expectation and desire. And yet it is all here in me to be revealed reunderstood. (Amiri Baraka..."6 Persons", I)

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

Mudbone
Charter member
461 posts
Wed Jul-05-00 05:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: meshell - featured artist"
In response to Reply # 0

New album="The alternative negro travelogue"-Feb 2001(Tentative title and release date)

As far as her name-Bashir Shakur-check out the discussion board on www.meshell.com.

Peace,

Chris

"Just say no to long ass signatures"

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "don't u luv her?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 05:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"GURL..I LUB HER! :)"

Check Out My New Signature, Fam:

"If you don't like me, I'll punch you
dead in the fucking face"
--Vin Diesel (THE FACE--MAY 2000)

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black communi

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "GURL..I LUB HER! :)"
In response to Reply # 3

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts

5. "GURL..I LUB HER! :)"
In response to Reply # 3

im telling you..she's SCORING My first movie.
ryan

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 05:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "She needs a best of."
In response to Reply # 0

She needs a collection with all her soundtrack cuts and b-sides and whatnot. I have the 3 albums, but I couldn't keep up with the soundtrack appearances beyond Love Jones & Higher Learning.

Maverick, do you hear me?

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 05:58 AM

7. "she needs a pedastal"
In response to Reply # 6

that she can get up on so everyone can see what i see.

REN

Thu Jul-06-00 06:03 AM

8. "Meshell is the greatest..."
In response to Reply # 0

You all don't know how I excited I was to see Meshell at Okayplayer's featured artist. I have loved this woman since "Plantation Lullabies". She is truly talented...with thought-provoking lyrics and she's the best damn female bass guitar player I know.

As for future work, I haven't heard anything. She is still on tour and if you know Meshell's work from the past, it may be a little while before you hear from her again.

But if you are looking for other songs that she has done aside from the songs on her albums: "Plantation Lullabies, Peace Beyond Passion and Bitter", I can recommend a few sound tracks and compilation cds that she has done some fabulous songs for.

REN

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:06 AM

9. "Peace Beyond Passion"
In response to Reply # 0

I swea, nobody knows how hard i rocked this shit! 2 years straight i blazed this album. it was reeedickulus! "tell me i'm the only one! i want to marry you!" then the guitar licks!

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!

shockalicious

Thu Jul-06-00 12:31 PM

10. "btw Fire.."
In response to Reply # 9

love the new signature

got me singing

yeahs cksastarnowwherethehellismyreturnemail

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 03:38 AM

11. "u got it"
In response to Reply # 10

or u should have it.

shockalicious

Sun Jul-09-00 02:30 PM

15. "thank you, bobby byrd... n/m"
In response to Reply # 11

s ck

abrock

Fri Jul-07-00 04:05 AM

12. "thank you."
In response to Reply # 0

this ranks as one of the all-time best things about okayplayer for me.

i adore her.

//arg.

mariaaj

Fri Jul-07-00 03:44 PM

13. "ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3"
In response to Reply # 0

For all you Me'shell fans in San Francisco she will be here August 3, 2000. So show some support for real!!!!

Peace and Blessings from SF
Well Behaved Women Don't Make History- Anita Borg

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Jul-08-00 02:20 AM

14. "AMEN...damn it's about time!"
In response to Reply # 0

Can she become a regular here now? She is more than worthy no doubt. She's worked with everyone from Rhazel to Prince to Herbie Hancock to Chaka Khan to Scritti Polliti to John Mellencamp to the Indigo Girls to Marcus Miller to Rashann Patterson to Salt n Pepa and so on and so on...

As for what she's doing now, she's on on tour in Europe through July.(I just got back fom seeing her in Montreal). When she get's back she's doing some more US dates as well.

I saw her perform about 4 or 5 songs from her new yet to be released album earlier this year(the titles I can remember are "Shame", "Free?" and "Dead Nigga Boulavard")...I'll say this about them...the new songs will BLOW YOUR MIND. Some of the funkiest, rawest, most intimate and thought provoking stuff you will ever hear...did I mention FUNKY? I know I cant wait for them to come out.

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

shockalicious

Sun Jul-09-00 02:37 PM

16. "i had heard that"
In response to Reply # 14

she had worked with prince - but whatever became of that? was anything released?

and the chaka khan stuff - besides 'never miss your water', was there anything else?

and somebody (me'shell?) must know when her new album is coming out..

s ckzilla, baby

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sun Jul-09-00 03:59 PM

17. "RE: i had heard that"
In response to Reply # 16

someone said that in another me'shell thread here:

TITLE: THE ALTERNATIVE NEGRO TRAVELOGUE
Tentative Release Date: February 2001

that's me'shells fourth album and when it SHOULD be out.

ryan

--bell hooks

--Lorraine Hansberry

--Jewel McCabe"

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

cocoaprince
Charter member
237 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 05:49 AM

18. "RE: i had heard that"
In response to Reply # 17

she's a gifted musician considering she made chaka sound hott in never miss the water and one of my favorite duets, wild night! man, i still bump it whenever it comes on vh1!

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 02:06 PM

19. "No one more worthy.."
In response to Reply # 0

She's the best of the best if you ask me! THANK YOU OKAYPLAYER STAFF!!

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23117 Previous topic | Next topic