Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23067

Subject: "favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"

Okay ... I been listening to Voodoo non-stop since it dropped, and like that other big Voodoo post up right now (I forgot to look at who wrote it) I hear something new every time I listen.

Now ... in response to ?uest's journal entry about European's being more MUSICALLY appreciative (and not just waiting for D' to get butt nekkid on stage), I was wondering what y'alls favorite MUSICAL moment was on the album. Now that we've had some time to let all the nuances sink into our souls ... what's the Musical moment that just melts you ... that get's you saying "oh yeah ... here we go!"

For me, although there are countless brilliant moments on this album, my favorite moment comes in greatdayinnamornin, right at the transition to the final segment. Its those dirty drums just setting us up for "make love in the morning ... the morning. pray to god in the morning ... the morning ..." that get me hyped, head bobbin like Sly Stone be shakin it. That transition kills me ...

How 'bout y'all?

love and respect,
El Rey

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

CELEBRATING JULY AS FAKE QUOTE MONTH:
;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

"Let the monkey fry!" - George W. Bush before the murder of Shaka Sankofa ... oh wait, he really DID say that

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite." - Eminem

"Me and Bahamadia's style free like Mumia need to be" - Eminem

"Eminem is prehaps the sole savior of the role of Hip-Hop in the struggle to free U.S. political prisoners and prisoners of war." - Mumia Abu-Jamal

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!
Soulbrotha-No1
Jul 11th 2000
I had to listen to
Jul 11th 2000
True dat...
Jul 11th 2000
tru dat!
Jul 11th 2000
It reminds me of....
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 11th 2000
ditto n/m
Jul 11th 2000
one mo gin
Jul 11th 2000
RE: #8
Jul 14th 2000
awww, man....
Jul 11th 2000
yes! yes! yes!
Jul 11th 2000
Oh LAWD!!!!
Jul 11th 2000
RE: Oh LAWD!!!!
Jul 11th 2000
just a few to start
Jul 11th 2000
YOU AIN'T LYIN!
Jul 11th 2000
adamant
Jul 11th 2000
Feel Like Makin Love
Jul 11th 2000
      RE: Feel Like Makin Love
Jul 11th 2000
In the name of Love and War Took ...
Jul 11th 2000
Voodoo...
Jul 11th 2000
Basslines..
Jul 11th 2000
Talking In Greatday...
Jul 11th 2000
sheeeeeeeiiit...
Jul 11th 2000
Africa
Jul 11th 2000
      RE: Africa
Jul 11th 2000
           Spanish Joint
Jul 12th 2000
ColeyCole99
Jul 11th 2000
The Root followed by Spanish Joint
Jul 11th 2000
What a yummy thread...
coffy
Jul 11th 2000
RE: What a yummy thread...
Jul 12th 2000
Favorite Moment...
Jul 12th 2000
Send It On
Jul 12th 2000
faosat_yoruba
Jul 12th 2000
tippiemari
Jul 12th 2000
do we have a concensus...
Jul 12th 2000
RE: do we have a concensus...
Jul 13th 2000
Sometimes I try to separate...
Jul 12th 2000
i hear you....
adamant
Jul 14th 2000
up!
Jul 13th 2000
before the tree comes the root
j-quest
Jul 13th 2000
      thanks!
Jul 14th 2000
Spanish Joint
Jul 13th 2000
break in the root
j-quest
Jul 13th 2000
I'll have to say...
Jul 13th 2000
yes!
Jul 14th 2000
Spanish Joint....
adamant
Jul 14th 2000
Keep coming back to this thread...
Jul 14th 2000
a rey of sunshine ...
Jul 14th 2000
Spanish Joint....
adamant
Jul 14th 2000

Soulbrotha-No1

Tue Jul-11-00 03:21 AM

1. "RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

It's kind of hard to pick one, because everytime I listen to it, I hear something that I didn't before. But I guess if I had to pick one, it would be on "The Root", the whole repeating breakdown is just on some next ish! I don't smoke weed, but if I did, this is something that I would have to listen to, along with anything by Jimi Hendrix.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 05:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I had to listen to"
In response to Reply # 1

that part this morning before work.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Tam
Charter member
98 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 06:49 AM

12. "True dat..."
In response to Reply # 1

The Root has me mesmerized!! I can listen to that ish on repeat all day!! The repetion is the ish!!

One other is the vamp in the last minute or so of Devil's Pie! When he starts w/ "I ain't goin' out fo...I don't give an eff...". Just tight to death!

Okay one mo' The end of Untitled!

That CD is definitely has some voodoo(c) D'Angelo workin'!!

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 08:19 AM

14. "tru dat!"
In response to Reply # 1

you ain't lyin! That repetition ish at the end has me smiling and saying AMEN more times than in my life up to the time I first listened to it.

I'm having such a shitty day today, I need to listen to that right as I get out of this hellhole.

love and respect,
El Rey

"Let the monkey fry!" - George W. Bush before the murder of Shaka Sankofa ... oh wait, he really DID say that

"Eminem is prehaps the sole savior of the role of Hip-Hop in the struggle to free U.S. political prisoners and prisoners of war." - Mumia Abu-Jamal

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 10:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "It reminds me of...."
In response to Reply # 1

The end of "Proceed" by the Roots. The LP version. I used to listen to the end of that all the time.

i know yall dont care, but i'ma say what i gotta say any DAMN way.... (c) Quez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheldon Mar"Quez" Rankin
homepage: http://www.Quez.Bored.org
AIM: Queztions

"if you want it I got it come and get it I'm wit it" --- Talib Kweli

"Hiphop you my BITCH and like a Ford I'm Exporin you" - Common

"I make niggas co-sign, on how many different flows I got" --- Planet A.S.I.A.

"The truth is, my crew is, the smoothest spitters of saliva juices like The Roots is, more Organic than acoustics" ---- Talib Kweli

oh well

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:30 AM

2. "#8"
In response to Reply # 0

the root, beginning to end, flawless musicianship.

that song deserves a grammy

well so does the whole album

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Nij
Charter member
1413 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:44 AM

3. "ditto n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

peace

nij

mind
matter

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:49 AM

5. "one mo gin"
In response to Reply # 2

honorable mention, fucking bassline almost blew my car speakers

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

Charter member
71 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 08:22 AM

49. "RE: #8"
In response to Reply # 2

i had that shit on repeat for 3 weeks....3 weeks

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:45 AM

4. "awww, man...."
In response to Reply # 0

You know I'm all over this post... can't pick just one. Here are a couple small details I've been digging this week (cuz you know Voodoo is played at least once a day...):
- The keys on the last last last rap on Left & Right... they're like these funky vibe keys, outlining this chord transitions that you don't hear the rest of the song... I hadn't caught those until about a month ago, and now I shit bricks when I hear them

- Send It On... around the five minute twenty second mark, the horns come in. Not very monumental right? Well, we just came out of this gospel vocal 'oohs' in the background, the guitar just pushed this fancy smooth riff.... everything's perfect, and the horns put a crown on this king of a song.

- Greatday... the very last part of this deal is my favorite part of the album... about six minutes fifty five second mark, get the whole 'duh duh duh' funkyasshit melody... you don't understand how happy it makes me...

Today's a voodoo day already, I can feel it...

-thebigfunk

"Genuine beauty is always quite alarming." - 'The Secret History'

"Aloofness is a cardinal sin in an age when a perplexed humanity eagerly turns to its writers and thinkers, and demands of them attention to, if not the cure of, its woes and wounds..." - Nabokov's "The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight"

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 08:21 AM

15. "yes! yes! yes!"
In response to Reply # 4

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 05:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Oh LAWD!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Devil's Pie...his vocals at the very beginning. That shit is so freaky-deaky. They send chills down my spine. I was thrilled when he had his backing vocalists repeat that riff over and over at the show. Then at the 4:55 mark, those horns come in and start playing the fucking BASS riff??? I love it.

Left & Right...at 3:18 he sucks air through his teeth and says "Keep doin it baby" and Redman says "Talk to me, baby", then they go into the bridge & the rap. I lose it every time I hear that. It's hard for me to not get up and dance.

Send It On...at 5:23 when those horns come in and the backing vox hit the "oooh"s..totally majestic. They must have been chanting or meditating or praying or something when they recorded that one. That song was kissed by God.

Chicken Grease...I love the P-Funk style vocals on "To get to the other side of the rooooooooa-oooooh-d", and of course that chicken grease guitar. And the 1st time they break it down and he says "I know you love me cuz I'm funky". You know what I'm saying.

The Root...the whole damn song, like Fire said. But especially the last chorus with all those repetitions. It hit me hard one day on the bus...I started crying and shit. I don't know what my problem was. The root?

Spanish Joint..."Something, something inside of meeeeeeeeeee" after the amazing guitar solo all the way until the end of the song. That whole thing gives me goose bumps. Why, oh why didn't they do this song live??????

Untitled...The bridge is amazing. THIS song deserves a Grammy. Dig the bass at the 6:33 mark!!! When Raphael just starts thumping on it like some Larry Graham shit. And have you noticed how gorgeous the piano is throughout the song?

Damn. I love this record.

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 05:24 AM

8. "RE: Oh LAWD!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

...I started crying and
>shit. I don't know
>what my problem was.
>The root?

i know.....crazy.

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 06:16 AM

9. "just a few to start"
In response to Reply # 0

overall it's mostly vocals that are hitting me here, because d' uses them like strings, and it KILLS me. the vocal intro to the line is the first that comes to mind
in the root: "left a dirty stain in my heart" first time i heard that line i think i literally screamed.
greatdayinnamornin: everybody already said it, but the dirty drums
untitled: in the vibed out bridge part (you know, the part that's NOT in the radio edit), there's one single snare hit that's just DRENCHED in reverb. it feels like an indication of a change to come, and sure enough, the song builds and builds again and then BAM, mid climax, it's over, right in the middle of it all
i'll be back with more though, i'm sure.

http://www.greatergood.com (hit two in one now)

"This is OUR place. You want the walls to be orange get a brush..."
--BooDah

Stevelover and the purple Tubber: confusing freestyle suckas into a three-count pin

"I'm SICK, and i'm TIRED, of your WHINING, COMPLAINING, and BITCHING, and MOANING! BOO-FUCKIN-HOO!"
--Ian Mackaye (Minor Threat)

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 08:25 AM

16. "YOU AIN'T LYIN!"
In response to Reply # 9

>untitled: in the vibed out bridge
>part (you know, the part
>that's NOT in the radio
>edit), there's one single snare
>hit that's just DRENCHED in
>reverb.

There are soo many moments like this where there'll be ONE snare hit that is different from the rest of the song. That ish convinced me of ?uestlove's genious (not like I needed convincing, but after Voodoo, I got even more respect ...).

this record makes me cry cuz of its beauty.

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

adamant

Tue Jul-11-00 06:33 AM

10. "RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The Root: the "backwards" solo, of course! plus the sick layers of vocals that, as has been previously mentioned, just tear up my insides

Feel Like Makin Love: Besides the fact that there's a nice long intro that repeats once before the vocals come in, I *LOVE* the moment when the band comes to a full stop on one of the beats, then keeps flowing flawlessly

The Stevie Wonder Interlude....brilliant

THE PLAYLIST: http://www.myplay.com/mp/playlist/now_playing.jsp?u=896773&plid=219035&start=1

De La Soul "Foolin"
Jill Scott, "A Long Walk"
RE / Makeeba, "Lunchroom Classics"
Minnie Riperton, "Baby This Love I Have"
Donny Hathaway "What's Goin On"
Binary Star "Glen Close"
Lauryn Hill "All My Time"
Bahamadia f/ SV "One-4-teen"
Meters "Just Kissed My Baby"
Sarah Jones "Your Revolution"
Roy Ayers "We Live in Brooklyn Baby"
Kool & the Gang "Sea of Tranquility"

"I'm Adam and I'm adamant about living large." -- Adrock

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 06:39 AM

11. "Feel Like Makin Love"
In response to Reply # 10

I meant to include that moment in my list. I don't know why I'm always effected when I come across something like that. Like in Com's "Time Travelin". That pause is a little long, but it's just as cool.

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 10:49 AM

22. "RE: Feel Like Makin Love"
In response to Reply # 11

>I meant to include that moment
>in my list. I
>don't know why I'm always
>effected when I come across
>something like that. Like
>in Com's "Time Travelin".
>That pause is a little
>long, but it's just as
>cool.

Hell yeah!!! Stop times are the shit. There's a lot of them on LWFC.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...CAN'T WAIT!!!***

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

Arch_Angel
Charter member
79 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 06:49 AM

13. "In the name of Love and War Took ..."
In response to Reply # 0

..my Shield and Sword. Whew!! The Root is priceless.

Chicken Grease - "...Like that old bucket of Crisco that sitting on top of the stove...simmer, simmer".... - just the timing of when D says the words is damn cool. That "staticky", far away pitch/tone of his voice is damn cool.

Playa, Playa - "...We came here to rip sh*t, make ya'll scream and shout". This cut is bad in itself. I think it gives the "overtone" of what to expect from the whole album - it's going to make your scream, make you shout, make you dance, make you cry... "Drummer's drumming right"...big ups to ?uest..."We gon' turn this mother out..." Can't nobody step to D - the man is in a class all by his lonesome.

...And what about "Africa"? The music, the words, the subject - just beautiful. Only three musicians/singers stick out in my mind when it comes to Odes to their children: Stevie Wonder ("Isn't She Lovely"), Babyface ("The Day") and now D with this captivating song to his children. Each time I hear it and I'm with my two-year old son, I just sit and stare at him. Man, he touches so many hearts. I hope he truly knows this.

That's all for now. Gotta put Voodoo in now...

Petersburg Homegirl

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 08:27 AM

17. "Voodoo..."
In response to Reply # 0

has some of the best musicianship I have ever heard (maybe cuz I'm not that old and haven't really explored "The Masters" as much as the rest of you have)...my favorite moments are:

Playa Playa: about 1:07 into the song, there's this little cymbal slide thing that I listen to everytime, then I usually change tracks. The buildup to that one little cymbal note is just perfect. That one hit then starts off the rest of the song, a smooth horn arrangement

The breakdown from "Devil's Pie" into "Left and Right" is just really damn cool. hehe

The entire percussion line of "Chicken Grease" is perfection. Damn, that song is just awesome. the Chicken Grease of "Chicken grease" fits in perfectly. Some ppl complained that it was mixed in too low, but I thought the volume of it was just perfect. Didnt really distract but was noticeable enough to be an important part of the song.

Guitar solo in "Spanish Joint" made me scream the first time I heard it. That song was the only thing that could make me happy for a month. Just listening to it would make me happy. SOmething about the congas and the drums on it were amazing...lifted my spirits.

AIM name: monkeybars j5

"Dogs love me cuz i'm crazy sniffable" -Beastie Boys

"if you were born rich, you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs... And take them down" -Herman Blume (Bill Murray's character in Rushmore)

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Basslines.."
In response to Reply # 0

There are some nice basslines on this album....but one of my favs parts is in greatday...listen to it and at 2:15 when the chorus starts up again....Pino (I think it's Pino playing on this song) does this amazing thing where he makes the bass vibrate. It's got this vibrato ish going on that just drives me crazy...he does it all thru the song, but when he does it at that part where the chorus starts up just gets me geeked.

Peace,
Phil

**Celebrating July as Fake Ass Quote Month**
------------------------------------------------------
Somedays I wake up and I just wish I was a man. - Tank

"Ilezchizpamzan" (c) Donwill

Black Thought Album due this Fall!!!
"My Chocolate is Like Water for Thirsty White Jawns."

"Your crew couldn't even measure to mine, that's why your bitches is busted and mines is fine." - Posdnous

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Talking In Greatday..."
In response to Reply # 18

At the end of Greatday there is alot of talking going on, has anyone found out what the talking is all about? I remember ?uest talking about a convo between friends but I can't remember if it was for another song or what.

Peace,
Phil

**Celebrating July as Fake Ass Quote Month**
Somedays I wake up and I just wish I was a man. - Tank

"Ilezchizpamzan" (c) Donwill

Black Thought Album due this Fall!!!
"My Chocolate is Like Water for Thirsty White Jawns."

"Your crew couldn't even measure to mine, that's why your bitches is busted and mines is fine." - Posdnous

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 09:13 AM

20. "sheeeeeeeiiit..."
In response to Reply # 0

fx on "my blood is cold and i can't feel my legs"

that liquid sound (clap/guitar tweek) right before "control you with my drop"

screaming shit at the end of untitled

"i know that you know/sexxxy lil' things u do"

the sonic peak at "DAY": "even if it takes forever and a DAY for me 2 do"

...and basically the whole damn "root" and "one mo'gin".

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

mellowsmoothe
Member since Feb 21st 2004
12 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 10:11 AM

21. "Africa"
In response to Reply # 20

Knowing that the song is for his son...I believe the bells or chiming sound that flows in the chorus is representing one of those small bedside music boxes that plays when you open it. I listen to this song and imagine d'angelo singing this song softly to himself as he peeps in on his son sleeping...the ending of the song is like the a fade into the mind of his son as the melody continues to soothe him long after father has left the room.....just a thought.CED

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 11:13 AM

23. "RE: Africa"
In response to Reply # 21

Hell yeah! That song is so damn beautiful--the music and the lyrics. It's my favorite on the album and of everything he's ever recorded. The first verse just blows me away.

The Root -of course the layered ending.

One Mo'gin -bass line in the beginning. So fuckin sexy.

Spanish Joint -the horns. Love when he says "don't look back. handle that."

Greatday... -love when he says "gotta tighten up." on that part I always raise both of my fists up to my chest and shake them once. Even if I'm driving. I don't know why.

Chicken Grease -the end when he keeps repeating "I know the shit if funky cause I see the way you move your soul." I didn't know that's what he was saying until I saw the live version on All That. This song reminds me of Teddy Pendergrass' "Get Up, Get Down." They don't sound alike, but they give off the same vibe.

Playa Playa- the music is just so damn funky.

I could go on forever, but I won't. sorry couldn't just name one thing. that's impossible.

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 02:58 AM

30. "Spanish Joint"
In response to Reply # 23

Yeah, the first time I heard those horns, I thought, "that ish is so subtle ... so IN CONTROL ... he'll never be able to pull that off live." Now, seein as though I still ain't seen my man live, I still can see how those horns are locked DOWN after peeping the MTV awards performance.

Also, the first time I "heard" the drums on Left and Right I got all excited (I finally could listen to the song and not be so offended).

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

ColeyCole99

Tue Jul-11-00 11:19 AM

24. "RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

It is hard to just pick one. I have at least three that gets to me.

I don't know why but everytime I listen to Africa I get this feeling that unexplainable(is that a word??).

I can't help but to love Greatdayndamornin' the way it leads to the end of the song. "Pray to God", "Smoke some......" Ooh wee!!!

Now there is The Root. I think the song explains itself.

"Please give us strength, Lord, to fight our battles. And we can walk on the streets of gold." "D'ANGELO"

"SMACK YOUR ASS PULL YOUR HAIR" "D'ANGELO"

"LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE" "COMMON"

"Why Do we Need Id to get ID" "COMMON"

"One Love ColeyCole99"

"OKAYPLAYER RULES"

THIS IS TO FUNNY YALL

TeeCole = Me!!!!!!!!

FrenchST99: yeah so whats cds you got
TeeCole1: I have a lot of cd's I have at least over 200 cd's.
FrenchST99: 200? you are a real collector. what is your favorite
TeeCole1: well my favorite is my Common collection
FrenchST99: who is Common?
TeeCole1: Are you seriuos you don't know who Common is???? does Common Sense ring a bell.
FrenchST99: name some of their songs
TeeCole1: well actually it just one and he sung Breaker 1/9, and off his new album The Light and the 6th sense, he has alot of songs
TeeCole1: Once you hear them you will probally know then
FrenchST99: nope haven't heard it!!!

annastesia
Charter member
51 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 11:32 AM

25. "The Root followed by Spanish Joint"
In response to Reply # 0

Is perfection in an album. The Root is so good it HURTS especially at the end when it is building and building and finally resolves I wanna yell!

Then Spanish Joint....

-TC

"Back and forth, inside, I'm melting like water on wicked witches
A monster truck done came and ran over my picket fences
I had the best of life in my clinches but monkey wrenches was thrown
Like chairs kings sit on, my prayers seem too long" -Outkast

coffy

Tue Jul-11-00 05:53 PM

26. "What a yummy thread..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, I just saw him live a week ago, so it is really hard for me to narrow this down to absolute fave moments that I have been inhaling for the past six months or so, BUT-

-The climax of Untitled just makes me want to smack somebody. In a good way =)

-The end of the Root brings me back to the trance-like moment in church when you don't even realize people are sitting next to you in the pew.

-Spanish Joint- This track is the reason I had to buy another copy, because the disk kept skipping from repeated play. Enough said.

Damn- Imma go put that ish on.

Much Peace,

Coffy

CHICAGO 2001- YA HEARD?

"Check my spot. Dig my swirl. I'm a liberated girl." -Lady Miss Kier

"You ask what is this? Mind your business." -Tricky

"Somthing up in me has gotta be. Sole controller in control of me." -D'Angelo

Durden
Charter member
103 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 01:48 AM

28. "RE: What a yummy thread..."
In response to Reply # 26

It seems that with this album for a week or two I always listen to the smae few songs over and over again, and then I remember how tight the rest of the album is and starting listening to a different few songs over and over....
It kills me that this album hasn't gotten the respect that it deserves from most of America. But then again, most of America is so stupid that it can't recognize the effin' genius of this album.
As far as favorite musical joints go, I gotta go with...
-First part in Playa when the horns come in. Its building up and then all the sudden I wanna be stampin' my feet, bobbing up and done and acting like a crazy fool.
-ALL of The Root, Spanish Joint, and Greatdayindamonin'. Charlie Hunter is just great on these tracks. I just sit there with my mouth hangin' open if I'm not jiving.
Genius pure unadulterated genius.
Out

"And so Castles Made of Sand
Slips into the sea
Eventually" - JH

"Who got the biggest Ass in the House?!"

We're here to celebrate this crazy thing called life ..

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 02:04 AM

29. "Favorite Moment..."
In response to Reply # 0

My favorite moment by far is on The Root, during the last two minutes where the chorus builds and builds with layers of vocals. I heard that shit one time and it put tears in my eyes.

After that, damn, just the rest of the album.

All's I got to say is cats like Eric Benet, Maxwell and Rahsaan Patterson's albums better be the jawn from now on. They got to be on point to keep up with D'angelo

1Love,
BigPerm

quietstorm
Member since Sep 18th 2002
108 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 11:13 AM

31. "Send It On"
In response to Reply # 0

I cried when I initially heard it. I looped it three times before I listened to the rest of the album.

faosat_yoruba

Wed Jul-12-00 11:32 AM

32. "RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The line in "the root" when he says my blood is cold and i cant feel my legs, just does something to me and there's like a little drum thing and then d starts doing some AAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY!!! thing at the beginning of Send it On. I really liked that and on i feel like making love at the end he does some AWWWWWWbabaaaaaay!!! that's my shit. i really love that!!!!

peace and blessings
i might look kind of funny but i ain't no fool (a.benjamin-"synthesizer")
i want my people to be free (mos def-"umi says")
all hail the yorbaprincess

tippiemari

Wed Jul-12-00 02:39 PM

33. "RE: favorite MUSICAL moment on Voodoo!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

There's too many to name just one. I know some have been mentioned, but oh well, I like 'em too.

Playa Playa - that the best song to start off with. And I gotta agree with everyone that mentioned the bass in this one

Devil's Pie - I love the chorus and how he ends it. ("I don't give a f*ck/I ain't goin' out fo")

Left and Right - the lyrics and the guitar.

The Line - his voice. At times he reminds me of Curtis Mayfield.

Send it On - Of course, the horns and when he says "So my life may be the one reason why"

Chicken Grease - I love cause it's funky.

One Mo'gin - The Bass!

The Root - I don't know now. Every time I listen to this song I hear something new in the background that I love.

Spanish Joint - I'm glad this one is after The Root. It lifts my spirits to the point where I'm grinning and laughing.

Feel Like Makin' Love - When he lets his voice get low and says "oohh babyyy"

Greatdayndamornin' - I love the end when the drums and the bass start gettin' heavy.

Untitled - the guitar and "Yeahh Yeahh"

Africa - The bells. Sometimes I'll play this at night song as my lullaby. And it works for me. I can fall right to sleep.

blackpearl
Charter member
296 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 03:35 PM

34. "do we have a concensus..."
In response to Reply # 0

that "the root" is the ish? i was mesmerized by the entire project for the first week or so but, on 02/05, when i finally REALLY heard "the root" i had to take a seat... in front of the speakers...for i don't even know how many repeats... this song gives me chills every time i listen to it...the guitar work if pure Jimi (happy to say i experienced that musical era firsthand), the imagery in the lyrics is incredible and you can FEEL this man's pain... "my soul is empty, my blood is cold and i can't feel my legs...i need someone to hold me and bring me back to life before i'm dead"... DAAAYUM!!!

my personal favorite and daily devotion is still "greatdayndamornin", as evidenced by the fact that i won't leave home without at least one listen... this song gives me strength daily... spiritual food for the soul, hellabangin' music for the ears!

"one mo'gin" has deeply personal meaning to me - i won't bore you all with the story but the song will always have a special place in my heart...

i could go on and on, but above are my standouts...

D'Angelo, thank you for SO blessing us all!

Rozjack, 8/4... soon and very soon... we need a rollcall for all LA OKPs who will be in the house!

i'm out

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 11:50 AM

37. "RE: do we have a concensus..."
In response to Reply # 34

>that "the root" is the ish?

Yep!!!

>Rozjack, 8/4... soon and very soon...
>we need a rollcall for
>all LA OKPs who will
>be in the house!

Hell yeah!!! We gone get our boogie on up in there. "We gone turn this mutha out."

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 04:13 PM

35. "Sometimes I try to separate..."
In response to Reply # 0

and attempt to isolate parts of the album. It doesn't work. When a friend of mine hears it for the first time, I often find myself, after the first four songs (when Send It On starts) saying "and from here on, the album is untouchable, you just can't fuck with this..."

But then I want to change it. Because can anyone really fuck with the nasty horns and grit of Playa...? Or that genuine Primo beat, and the high pitched descending squeal (whateva the eff that is) in Devil's Pie? The keys (mentioned in my first reply) and superfunkycalifragisexy lyrics of Left & Right? Or the meandering, jam-with-the-band-on-a-saturday-night style of "The Line"? Dammit, you can't. You can't fuck with any of this album. It's still the number one release of this year, bar none. It's still my ish. Just thought I'd share.

-thebigfunk

"Aloofness is a cardinal sin in an age when a perplexed humanity eagerly turns to its writers and thinkers, and demands of them attention to, if not the cure of, its woes and wounds..." - Nabokov's "The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight"

-thebigfunk

adamant

Fri Jul-14-00 05:31 AM

45. "i hear you...."
In response to Reply # 35

>after the first
>four songs (when Send It
>On starts) saying "and from
>here on, the album is
>untouchable, you just can't fuck
>with this..."

After my first, say, 20 listens or so, I started playing the album at track 5 - just because L&R can get on my nerves, and the other's aren't *quite* up to the level of SIO thru Africa...

But now that I give Voodoo the intense listen every time in the hopes of catching something new, I've gone back to the first four songs. I still prefer the ones starting with Send It On - like you said, it's untouchable -

but now i'm all about the HOLISTIC Voodoo!

THE PLAYLIST: http://www.myplay.com/mp/playlist/now_playing.jsp?u=896773&plid=219035&start=1

De La Soul "Foolin"
Binary Star "Glen Close"

"But we are sick and tired of hearing your song/Telling how you are gonna change right from wrong/'Cause if you really want to hear our views/You haven't done nothing!"

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 09:37 AM

36. "up!"
In response to Reply # 0

j-quest

Thu Jul-13-00 12:08 PM

39. "before the tree comes the root"
In response to Reply # 36

'The Root' has the foundation for the album contained within it, all the elements are there, as close to perfection as a song can get. sweet poetry. peace. j-quest

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 02:46 AM

42. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 39

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 12:07 PM

38. "Spanish Joint"
In response to Reply # 0

The guitar solo at the last 30-40 sec of the song...
Amazing......The way D was singing along too.......I could listen to those few seconds for an entire day....

One Love
That's all there is One Love

j-quest

Thu Jul-13-00 12:16 PM

40. "break in the root"
In response to Reply # 38

when the drum break comes in at about 4 mins with static in the backround, then the vocals come back in and then track sounds even more amazing..peace .j-quest

mysteriousB
Charter member
66 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 01:28 PM

41. "I'll have to say..."
In response to Reply # 0

The "hold on be strong" part in "send it on"....my god that ish almost makes me cry just thinking about it

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 03:09 AM

43. "yes!"
In response to Reply # 41

I remeber them playing that ish on a loop on OKP before it dropped and I was instantly mesmorized. When I finally heard it on the album it gave me that warm feeling. I love that moment!

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

adamant

Fri Jul-14-00 05:25 AM

44. "Spanish Joint...."
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm going to the porch again...."

De La Soul "Foolin"
Binary Star "Glen Close"

"But we are sick and tired of hearing your song/Telling how you are gonna change right from wrong/'Cause if you really want to hear our views/You haven't done nothing!"

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 05:38 AM

46. "Keep coming back to this thread..."
In response to Reply # 0

Not necessarily for its original topic... more than anything, just cuz this is just some Voodoo Appreciation ish.

Voodoo is one of the best ALBUMS in my collection... by that, I mean it works as a whole piece, as well as a song by song deal. It's best heard from the beginning to the end... Playa Playa as its intro, Africa as its winding down piece.

The transitions are so smooth. The same atmosphere permeates the entire piece, it feels like one giant meandering composition. (Oddly enough, my mind jumps to the musical Ragtime, which feels like one giant really really good song to me )

It never feels choppy. Even going from slower pieces to faster pieces... (The Root to Spanish Joint, Chicken Grease to One Mo Gin).

Dammit, another Voodoo day.

-thebigfunk

-thebigfunk

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 05:48 AM

48. "a rey of sunshine ..."
In response to Reply # 46

seein the state of the boards these days, I'm glad this thread can be an island of sanity and beauty in the midst of the madness.

This thread makes me smile like something lost can be found.

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

adamant

Fri Jul-14-00 05:47 AM

47. "Spanish Joint...."
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm going to the porch again...."

De La Soul "Foolin"
Binary Star "Glen Close"

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #23067 Previous topic | Next topic