Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22829

Subject: "FUCK MCA" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
LastWarrior

Mon Jul-10-00 06:35 AM

"FUCK MCA"

COMMON AND THE ROOTS SHOULD HAVE GON TO RAWKUS - MAYBE NOT THE ROOTS, BUT COMMON'S SHIT WOULD BE PROMONTED MUCH BETTER ON RAWKUS - LOOK HOW THEY;'RE KILLING JAZZYFATNASTEES. MCA SUCKS - OPINONS?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah right......
Jul 10th 2000
can i be down?
Jul 10th 2000
me 2?
Jul 10th 2000
i was about the say the same thing
BTMBQHKDR
Jul 10th 2000
RE: yeah right......
Jul 10th 2000
LastWarrior
Jul 13th 2000
LastWarrior
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 11th 2000
           Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Jul 12th 2000
LastWarrior
Jul 13th 2000
                RE: yeah right......again
Jul 13th 2000
Damn bruh............
Jul 10th 2000
RE: FUCK MCA
malcolm
Jul 10th 2000
LastWarrior
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 12th 2000
           I DISAGREE
LastWarrior
Jul 13th 2000
                RE: I DISAGREE
Jul 13th 2000
Are you on crack?
Jul 10th 2000
Too bad...
Jul 11th 2000
whoa...
SqueegeeXM
Jul 11th 2000
RE: whoa...
LastWarrior
Jul 11th 2000
RE: Too bad...
LastWarrior
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 12th 2000
hot damn!
Jul 11th 2000
Jul 12th 2000
Ice Cream
Jul 14th 2000
Ice Cream
Jul 14th 2000
Jul 13th 2000
R U KIDDING?!
JDET313
Jul 13th 2000
loyalty
j-quest
Jul 13th 2000
      Relativity was better? sheesh!!
Jul 13th 2000
           RE: Relativity was better? sheesh!!
Faction
Jul 13th 2000
                RE: Relativity was better? sheesh!!
Jul 13th 2000

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 0

see you at Common's GOLD party.
LG

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 10:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "can i be down?"
In response to Reply # 1

can a sis get an invite?

Damali (it sucks being "nobody )

CELEBRATING JULY AS FAKE QUOTE MONTH-The Okaystaff/Artist Edition
"I'm so sick of the okayactivist board. They're a bunch of shit talking punks in there" - Boodah

"I'm gonna straighten my hair and dye it blond. That way I can get into one of Sisqo's videos and achieve my dream!" -Angieee

"Gimme that damn laptop, Ahmir!! I'm doing the tour diary from now on!!!"- D'Angelo

"Special Ed writes all my rhymes" -Rakaa

"Special Ed designs all my webpages" - Shawn Gee

"We ain't got no time for that!" - ?uestlove (c) Common *couldn't help myself*

"I'm really black..I'm just in the severe stages of vitaligo" - Steve

"We're both leaving our respective spouses in order to marry Scott Storch." - The JazzyFatNastees

"Free tickets for all fags!!" - Common

"Special Ed does my hair" - Oracle

Re_Alief
Charter member
1314 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 04:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "me 2?"
In response to Reply # 2

Shit, y'all should hook up sum OkayPlayers! HEHE!

BTW - Hotz, how's the radio ting gyal?

Peace2U,
Ré Alief ~~~> A.L.B.C.

"The greatest challenge for a hip-hop artist nowadays should be to make a hip-hop record that is danceable and is a party record. If you can effect someone's mind, body and soul then you have achieved the greatest amount of potential influences to a hip-hop listener." - Bobbito The Barber * http://www.cucumberslice.com *
_____
Sugah aka Suki SULI...that's my Booby! Check out some of her poems

Heaven On Earth
http://www.rhapsodyinblack.com/98Summer/ea.html#HeavenonEarth

We Are
http://www.rhapsodyinblack.com/99Summer/Sum99EA.html#anchor235768

Eleven Thirteen PM
http://www.rhapsodyinblack.com/99Summer/Sum99EA.html#anchor248608

(She has a poem called "A True Inspiration" that's gonna be published by the International Library of Poetry, fall 2000 )

http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Members/MyPage/viewpage.html?MEMBER=SukiSuli

http://scribble.nu/x/?u=sukisuli

http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Members/MyPage/viewpage.html?MEMBER=Re_Alief

Peace2U

BTMBQHKDR

Mon Jul-10-00 10:35 AM

3. "i was about the say the same thing"
In response to Reply # 1

thank you label guy and CONGRATULATIONS COMMON...YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!

THE REVOLUTION BEGINS JULY 18TH:
VOTE FOR COMMON "THE LIGHT" AT

http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/trl99_new

VOTE BEFORE 2:30 PM, SHOW STARTS AT 3PM, ONLY VOTE AT MTV.COM ONCE PER DAY

CALL 1-800-DIAL-MTV TOO...YOU CAN CALL THAT MORE THAN ONCE A DAY

REMEMBER: IF YOU DON'T VOTE JULY 18TH, YOU'RE COMMUNIST AND CANADIAN

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 11:02 AM

4. "RE: yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 1

aight that's cool 4 Com and i'm proud, but what's up w/ my girls the Jazzies. they getting played 4 real.

~jrocc

LastWarrior

Thu Jul-13-00 04:39 AM

24. "RE: yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 4

EXACTLY MY POINT. I used Common as an example - but examine MCA as a whole. What's the deal with Killah Priest, Jazzyfatnastees, etc? Imena Killah Priest album sucked - but no one knows 'cause it wasn't promoted for shit. Jazzy's album is good - not promoted for shit. Thanx, cuz.

LastWarrior

Tue Jul-11-00 11:20 AM

16. "RE: yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 1

whatever. I'd want to see you at his PLATINUM PARTY. The record label is supposed to work for the artist and vice versa. In this case Common - well deservedly - has gotten recognotion but without any real promotion from MCA beside some Source ads and some posters. What about the fucking advertizing blitz they give to other artists. and excuse me - I'd also like to see you at a Jazzyfatnastees "anything" party, ok? Common went gold on the strength of a fan base that has accumulated since "One Day.." had he been a new MCA arist like Jazzyfatnastees or even fuckin' Killah Priest - he'd be in the hole now

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 03:22 PM

17. "RE: yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 16

it seems to me you are really crying out for a free seminar on the record biz......but that would take the fun out of you really studying the game and learning it yourself.
LG

LG

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 03:25 AM

18. "Bwahahahahahahahahaha!"
In response to Reply # 17

:D

have you been taking lessons from me

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

LastWarrior

Thu Jul-13-00 04:35 AM

23. "RE: yeah right......"
In response to Reply # 17

A better student than you know - that's why I have this opinon. I sited common as an example. Explain Jazzyfatnastees. Did you see their letter to their fans? They said "MCA is killing us". Common is established. What does MCA do in the realm of introducing new urban/black music to the public? Forget the Common issue for a second, Mr. iwannaschoolyouonthegame. Take a look at MCA as a whole. And in the Common/Roosts aspect, how does MCA promote their white artists (like Blink182) in comparison? Common wasn't even LISTED as an rtist on MCA's website until recently - when his album started getting recognition - the same with the Roots when Things Fall Apart dropped. I'm not some 15 year old kid who needs to look at the game more closely - I'm looking at it, I'm happy for Common. MCA has done some - but they DEFINETLY could've done more. And I ask you again, "teacher", explain the complete and utter overlook, lack of promotion, lack of sales, etc. of Jazzyfatnastees by MCA. Don't be condescending, we don't know each other and we don't know what each other knows, express your opinon and be done with it.

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 10:45 AM

28. "RE: yeah right......again"
In response to Reply # 23

Last W, you need to address Spirit first because I think they gave rebuttals in their posts to most of your opinions.

First of all I didn't handle the Jazzyfatnastees project first hand (I wasn't on the MCA e-mail hit-list posted on this site) but on the outside looking in, it's simple - for an talented yet unconventional (no pun intended) R&B act like the Jazzies, a label has to make the committment and bet the house (i.e. - lots 'o millions) in the hopes of breaking the act and getting their investment back. Macy Gray is the one artist in recent memory where a label bet the house, was in a major financial hole, then a single hit, now they are reaping the benefits of their big gamble. There are also many instances of major labels making the big bet (remember with stockholders dough) and losing and also not playing the odds at all to "play it safe". Either way the artist suffers in the end and the label is f*cked up. I would elaborate more on my views about the Jazzies project but I don't want to rehash anything that I'm sure you all have discussed before. I was an artist signed to a label ten years back so I've seen the game from both sides.....
LG

LG

SkipGotSkills
Charter member
27393 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 11:28 AM

5. "Damn bruh............"
In response to Reply # 0

Word on the street was the LP did pretty damn good...

Click here for sample of "Bring it to the Square"..

http://www.mchammer.com/movies/pumpitup.mov

Give me my dick back,
SkipGotSkills...

http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Members/MyPage/viewpage.html?MEMBER=SkipGotSkills

My photography website: http://www.johnflowersphotos.com/
I'm bloggin too now hoe: http://mrflowersphotos.wordpress.com/

malcolm

Mon Jul-10-00 11:55 AM

6. "RE: FUCK MCA"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude- Sorry to rain on your parade, but Com's latest outsold his last (One Day...) by like 3x's the amount.

malcolm

LastWarrior

Tue Jul-11-00 11:09 AM

12. "RE: FUCK MCA"
In response to Reply # 6

all of that is based on his fan base. MCA did NO work in helping him out. Thank yourselves for his victory.

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "RE: FUCK MCA"
In response to Reply # 12

>all of that is based on
>his fan base. MCA did
>NO work in helping him
>out. Thank yourselves for
>his victory.

what is this magic fan base that you're talking about? if com's last album sold about 100,000 and this new one sells almost 500,000, don't you realize that the difference is in marketing? What, you think Com picked up 400,000 fans since "One Day..."? Get real...if he couldn't break 100,000 with Lauryn Hill on the record, that's because it was poorly marketed. Now he's with a team that's doing it right. Com's core fan base, that means the people who HUNT for new Com Sense material and iwll buy on his good name alone, may be as small as 50,000. There's another 50,000 that will cop it after they hear a hot song. But really, the fact that Com is about to go gold is due to the big marketing dollars over at MCA. If it was as simple as "Com's fanbase", Resurrection would have been gold by now, because that's his most revered album, ya dig?

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

WTFxSTFU writes...

Rasco really ruined the lp for me, I dont understand how he gets jocked like he does. He's so wack. Some of the lines he throws really make me sick. But Planet Asia is dope. - WTFxSTFU

Rasco responds....

thanks for the $16.00 yours truly the wack rapper.
RASCO

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

LastWarrior

Thu Jul-13-00 04:22 AM

22. "I DISAGREE"
In response to Reply # 20

I disagree. First of all, cousin, One day sold about 200,000 - close to three. You cannot deny that his fan base and sales have climbed incrimentally w/ every album dropped. I mean relativity sucked as a label - everyone knows that. I'm saying that his fanbase has grown considerably - like the Roots. I mean look at Wu-tang for instance - 36 chambers did basically nothing in comparison to Wu-Tang Forever (sales wise) it got a rejuvination in sales after Wu-tang Forver went 4X platinum. Wouldn't you say that fanbases grow for artists as there longevity solidifies? Ok then what I'm sayin in that respect is that Common has made HIMSELF more accesable to the people through shows and word of mouth, etc. You think MCA is responsible for this turnaround in sales? I totaly disagree - thet're not doing anything for their other artists. And in comparison to the WHITE artists on MCA - well do I need to say more?

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 06:32 AM

26. "RE: I DISAGREE"
In response to Reply # 22

>I disagree. First of all,
>cousin, One day sold about
>200,000 - close to three.

Someone's wrong, you or Quest, because Quest said at 192,000 units Com had outsold all of his previous releases. Now, what's the source for your info?

> You cannot deny that
>his fan base and sales
>have climbed incrimentally w/ every
>album dropped.

And you can't deny that there's a big jump from 300,000 (of your figure's right) to 500,000 which is what Com is about to sell. 200,000 people is not an "incremental" increase. It's a HUGE increase, meaning this album will sell nearly double what his last album sold.

> I mean
>relativity sucked as a label
>- everyone knows that.

Everyone except Bone Thugs And Harmony, who went multi plat over there (ruthless/relativity).

>I'm saying that his fanbase
>has grown considerably - like
>the Roots.

You can't equate fanbase with sales. In the Roots case, particularly, it is arguable that many people bought that album due to the success of (and to hear) the single feat. Erykah. Whether or not those people are truly 'fans' depends on how you define the word, i suppose. Also, you can't guarantee that everyone who bought the album liked it (despite the fact that most Roots fans couldn't imagine such a possiblity).

I mean
>look at Wu-tang for instance
>- 36 chambers did basically
>nothing in comparison to Wu-Tang
>Forever (sales wise) it got
>a rejuvination in sales after
>Wu-tang Forver went 4X platinum.

Here's where you show your lack of industry knowledge. Forever was a double album, which means it only sold 2 million units to be certified 4xplatinum (each disc counts as an individual unit). 36 Chambers went over platinum. So, in actually, Forever didn't sell that many more units than 36.

> Wouldn't you say that
>fanbases grow for artists as
>there longevity solidifies?

Not necessarily, because sometimes you lose as many fans as you gain. Some people lose more fans than they gain. ask Hammer.

> Ok
>then what I'm sayin in
>that respect is that
> Common has made HIMSELF
>more accesable to the people
>through shows and word of
>mouth, etc.

If shows and word of mouth sold records, Organized Konfusion would have a gold plaque on their walls.

> You think
>MCA is responsible for this
>turnaround in sales?

Yes. You already said Relativity was a terrible label, where Com had less than gold sales *despite* good shows and word of mouth. He switched over to a label that promoted him better and pushed him on radio and MTV harder -- bam! -- he gets in regular rotation on urban radio and he has a buzzworthy video on MTV. That's the power of the MCA marketing machine.

I
>totaly disagree - thet're not
>doing anything for their other
>artists. And in comparison to
>the WHITE artists on MCA

which artists are you referring to? do you know how many rock acts out there are selling less than 100,000. oh, man.....go pick up a billboard....or try to get your hands on a soundscan report. you think MCA is supporting its white acts more than its black ones? give me some hard evidence of that...I would wager that The Roots were probably one of MCA's top sellers of 99. Note I said "one of". Sure Killah Priest and Sauce Money aren't faring well, but this is a very tough game. list the folks on MCA who came out in 99 by sales and I wager good money that the Roots are in the Top 5. Contrast that with their position at Geffen...for instance, look at "do you want more????" in 94 and compare its sales to the the sales of other acts on Geffen that same year. Enough circumstantial evidence for you? Do the same for Illadelph Halflife in 96, too, if ya feel like it.

Spread love,

Spirit

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

WTFxSTFU writes...

Rasco really ruined the lp for me, I dont understand how he gets jocked like he does. He's so wack. Some of the lines he throws really make me sick. But Planet Asia is dope. - WTFxSTFU

Rasco responds....

RASCO

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Mon Jul-10-00 01:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Are you on crack?"
In response to Reply # 0

Common at Rawkus? Rawkus who? Rawkus what? I think you need to put the crack pipe down and see "The Light"....LOL*note to self:"Your damn funny Stilly"*
As for the Jazzy's...I'm not sure the whole logistics of record promotion, but I can say that with any of the Okayartist, their promotion has come from the fans, plain and simple. Need I remind you that African Americans have kept their culture alive through word of mouth. We learn how great aunt Nellie earned her living back in the day through the stories your family told. Moreover, we learn the struggle and strife of our people through the songs of yesterday, today and tommorow. So, it is up to us to continue to help the record companies such as MCA, who have given a chance to such artists' as The Roots and the Jazzyfatnastees (July 12, The Garage, Wash.DC)
to promote artists who are helping to keep our culture alive, not through death, but through love.
I know I just went off on a tangent, but dangit....so what.

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The simple shut doors and screams inside of my head. It wd be difficult. To make such a straightforward document of my life. Because in fact sometimes I yet cannot face understanding that my life has been a roll of minutes. A series of absolutely connected images, being born and passing almost at the same time. I think my life an incredible maze and blotch of shadows, circuses, divas, and floats. Much sadness. Much hapiness. Mostly expectation and desire. And yet it is all here in me to be revealed reunderstood. (Amiri Baraka..."6 Persons", I)

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

Mdfogarty
Charter member
330 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 06:05 AM

9. "Too bad..."
In response to Reply # 0

When "The Light" gets released on MTV next week Com WILL go platinum....I think you need to brush up on the mathematics of this whole thing...Peace!

SqueegeeXM

Tue Jul-11-00 06:55 AM

10. "whoa..."
In response to Reply # 9

>When "The Light" gets released on
>MTV next week Com WILL
>go platinum

...slow down (c)Brand Nubian, Buckshot Shorty , kemosabe. Let's just celebrate this Gold victory for now, aiight? We'll worry about Com going platinum when they release the video for "The Light" remix w/ Erykah. j/k

e-Mail : drsqueegee@yahoo.com
AIM : dr squeeg
- COMING SOON -
http://www.geocities.com/drsqueegee/index.html
- homepage.phase2.blah -

CELEBRATING JU-LIE IS FAKE QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM:
"I didn't wanna tell you this in public, but I kinda enjoyed that clumsy flying elbow you gave me...and I look foward to receiving another when I come to Chicago." - Angieee

"Man, I wish these hoes would just back the fuck up off me!" - me

"Eff a Krispy Kreme, it's all about french fries drenched in BBQ sauce." - MisterGrump

"Hello?" (answering phone) - LeroyBumpkin
----------------------------------------

LastWarrior

Tue Jul-11-00 11:15 AM

14. "RE: whoa..."
In response to Reply # 10

hell yeah, that remix is ill as shit. I thought only a couple heads heard it. Yeah. I'm feeling you

LastWarrior

Tue Jul-11-00 11:13 AM

13. "RE: Too bad..."
In response to Reply # 9

Naw, bruh. What I'm sying is fuck MCA because regardless of the fact that Com is FINALLY gaining success, MCA did nothing to help him except put up a couple green LWFC posters. Had he gotten the same promotion as OTHER MCA artists... he might be in a better position. Look at the Jazzyfatnastees who have no solid, established fanbase like Common or The Roots. Without Com's fan's and an indesputably dope album - had he been a new jack - would he have gotten the success? No. I don't personally believe that he would have.

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 11:19 AM

15. "RE: Too bad..."
In response to Reply # 13

yeah right.....
you must be a real student of the game.
LG

LG

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 07:06 PM

21. "RE: Too bad..."
In response to Reply # 13

>Naw, bruh. What I'm sying
>is fuck MCA because regardless
>of the fact that Com
>is FINALLY gaining success, MCA
>did nothing to help him
>except put up a couple
>green LWFC posters.

Cousin, you must learn. They did way more than put up some posters. Don't know the stats on how much the "Sixth Sense" video costs, but that's the most damn extras I've *ever* seen in a Com sense video. They put some cheese in that. That's one.

Two, I saw nary a poster up for "Resurrection", so if your local town is plastered, that's MCA spending dough on street promotion.

Three, "The Light" is being heavily pushed to radio. i hear it on radio in between me starting my car and popping a tape in the deck. This means it's getting some rotation, because I for damn sure don't spend much time listening to DC urban radio, home of the world's smallest playlist where the same joints get heard over and over. I'm sure Com is offering radio heads a nice Sisqo break here in DC.

Had
>he gotten the same promotion
>as OTHER MCA artists...

Such as? The Roots? Sauce Money? Who are you talking about here?

he
>might be in a better
>position. Look at the
>Jazzyfatnastees who have no solid,
>established fanbase like Common or
>The Roots.

Who are also in a totally different genre of music.

Without Com's
>fan's and an indesputably dope
>album

indisputably? nothing in music is indisputable. a lot of heads were hating on that joint. believe me.

- had he been
>a new jack - would
>he have gotten the success?
> No. I don't personally
>believe that he would have.

so many variables. there are a million variables. you realize that industry pushed albums flop too, right? and in this game "established" is a nonexistent word, because you're only as good as your last hit in 2000....and if your last hit was 4 years ago, it's an uphill climb. That is unrelated to Com, but just to say that there are very few people with a fanbase large enough to guarantee them gold status when they step to bat. You seem to have mistaken Com for one of those few. You're wrong. Com's album is about to go gold because the folks at MCA were solidly behind him.

The jazzys apparently, for whatever reason, don't appear to have gotten the same amount of push from their label. I'm still trying to figure out why *they* weren't the opening act for D'Angelo at every one of his dates. They need the exposure, they're okayplayers, they're in the same musical genre as D. Instead, (as much as I love em) D went with Mos Def and dead prez, two acts with music completely different from his, which was sure to throw off the older crowd he was attracting for the tour (because the 40 bucks was keeping a lot of younger cats away).

Spread love,

Spirit

WTFxSTFU writes...

Rasco responds....

RASCO

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Tue Jul-11-00 07:36 AM

11. "hot damn!"
In response to Reply # 0

congrats common! wooowho!!!! it's about damn time. "first we want the gold, then we want the platinum."

QUOTE OF THE WEEK/DAY... whatever my mood

Why does it does have to be all candles and inscence, body, mind and spirit shit? - Quinn in defense of D's left & right

celebrating JU-LIE as fake quote month (or are they really real)

"I can't tell you because it might hurt your feelings"-Vet

Man...brother gave good head, just wish i could have gotten it here instead of the reunion - me on the chocolatiest moderator

Resident Poets' Quotables

why are your ears
dependent on the forum?
i mean if i plant seeds
at a poetry reading
my peoples openly receive
but if i say this truth
in everyday speech
it's like i'm speakin greek - incogx

...she had a body like a cello with legs
i mean the ass was absurd
long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips
full lips between dimples

BigDOttawa
Charter member
1833 posts
Wed Jul-12-00 06:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
19. "RE: FUCK MCA"
In response to Reply # 0

and what exactly is rawkus doing for their artists right now??? nada. i haven't heard shit from them in a minute. rawkus artists sell because of their skills, just like mca artists. labels put up the money, and all shit that happens between artists and labels centers around.....................cash!

d

listen to phat friday's....
chrw 94.7 fm in london, on
http://chrw.fm.net on the web
friday's, 9-11 am

"you know you ghetto when you stuck inside a jail
them Jordans on your feet costed more then your bail" - Kardinal

SUPPORT CANADIAN HIP HOP!!!
SUPPORT CANADIAN HIP HOP!!!

d, representin' Ottawa

what i'm listening to
http://www.last.fm/user/bigdottawa/

http://community.webshots.com/user/sdao41
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdottawa/

Timmy
Member since Jul 28th 2003
244 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "Ice Cream"
In response to Reply # 19

The Ice Cream truck, man! The Ice Cream truck! There's a big ol' Rawkus Ice Cream truck parked on Broadway a few blocks north of Wall Street. They hand you a flyer with every purchase.

I think they should name the ice creams after the artists. "Hi, I want me a Shabbam-Shadeeqsicle"

LOL, I kill me. It's really there, though. I don't see no MCA Ice Cream truck!!

=Timmy=

http://www.myspace.com/timaaaaaaay

Timmy
Member since Jul 28th 2003
244 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 09:47 AM

34. "Ice Cream"
In response to Reply # 19

The Ice Cream truck, man! The Ice Cream truck! There's a big ol' Rawkus Ice Cream truck parked on Broadway a few blocks north of Wall Street. They hand you a flyer with every purchase.

I think they should name the ice creams after the artists. "Hi, I want me a Shabbam-Shadeeqsicle"

LOL, I kill me. It's really there, though. I don't see no MCA Ice Cream truck!!

=Timmy=

http://www.myspace.com/timaaaaaaay

Spread
Member since Mar 13th 2003
7647 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 06:17 AM

25. "RE: FUCK MCA"
In response to Reply # 0

i wonder what Questlove, D'angelo and Jay Dee did for his sales. Or how about OKAYPLAYER.COM??!!!
there are too many things that effect sales. Don't put it all on the record company (out here in the midwest nobody knows shit about Rawkus, but they know MCA) The album has gotten a lot of good reviews in bigger publications too. i bet MCA has a little somethin to do with that. But shit, of course they ain;t gonna treat him like their white superstars because they are all about the$$$ like any buisiness(including Rawkus) And it's not like Blink182 didn't already have 5 or 6 albums that barely went wood. They got a break, and Common is on his way. Give them time. MCA sure ain't no savior, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them evil

yep

JDET313

Thu Jul-13-00 07:38 AM

27. "R U KIDDING?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rawkus is hella shady! Look at what happened with Fat Beats... Fat Beats made Rawkus, then when they didnt what to sell out to the Rawkus peeps, Rawkus takes their distribution away from fat beats! Fuck that! Not to mention, Rawkus isnt releasing Big L's album on vinyl! Fuck them! I give MCA mad credit for scooping up everybody that's putting down some new hip hop (Common, Roots, Erykah, Jaydee, Jazzys)... Come on, they should rename it OkayMCA.

j-quest

Thu Jul-13-00 11:37 AM

29. "loyalty"
In response to Reply # 27

Anyone who is into a particular artist will keep a look out for any new material they produce in anticipation of purchasing it, they have heard the artists previous efforts and are willing to get their new shit. These people are the first to buy the new stuff, then there are those are influenced to buy by a combination of word of mouth, airplay, billboards, publicity and other promotional activity. there are many reasons why an artist sells, Common has a dedicated fan base - but these real dedicated fans make up only a fraction of the total sales of his album, the rest bought the album because a friend reccomended it, they saw the video, heard Common on TV....the list goes on...we are in an age of promotion first, evaluation second...there are millions of people who simply buy because they are influenced by advertising, hard to bear but true...peace j-quest

pointfivefag
Charter member
2515 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
30. "Relativity was better? sheesh!!"
In response to Reply # 29

What was the basis for this thread?
How many people bought Common's shit when he was on Relativity? did he ever break 100,000? 150,000?

I wonder.I also know for sure though, at the time that Common signed with Relativity, their rap division was pretty new, and the fact that they were able to develop the national presence the did for him (Chicago was gettin little major label love at the time).

He had "underground" popularity, didnt move a zillion units, and they put out THREE progressively better albums. they allowed him to develop to the point he's reached.Do You know how quick most labels will drop your ass if you dont move units right away?
Remember Roughhouse Survivors? Chi Ali? Relativity acts.didnt blow up, and outta there.

I had a small clothing merchandising deal with a friend through an international distributor and was terribly underpromoted (the same company manufactured and distributed for some cats that had a line named after a popular mini cigar, hint hint)and have seen the difference.

Common has commercials.
billboards. posters.bus stop benches. some nice web pages. skateboards.
posters all over Virgin Megastore in San-Fran.Shit, he's everywhere. people who dont listen to rap know who he is when I say his name.

and he's being "underpromoted?" He's actually SOLD RECORDS for the first time.

I personally wasnt really into the Jazzees project,but it made me want to hear more from them. I like where there going
(how many YEARS ago did I se their names in rap album thank yous? congrats for sticking it out.)
I dont see Black radio getting into them except for some after hours quiet storm shit. Radio is stiff like that.

Expect Jill Scott to move mabye 75,000 or so copies when her shit drops (has it? I unfortunately dont see more than a hardcore loyal following supporting her immediately. Her labels gonna have to WORK that project.Hip Hop sensibility , fully clothed, no curses. a hard sell, if nothing else.

remember how long it took the Roots...

peace

jubakalamka,
pointfivefag/kinseythree

-------
don't let niggas call you faggot
don't let faggots call you nigger
-------
MY SPACE- it's that shit, yo.

http://www.myspace.com/jubakalamka
http://www.myspace.com/deepdickollective

http://www.jubakalamka.com
http://www.deepdickollective.com
http

Faction

Thu Jul-13-00 07:14 PM

31. "RE: Relativity was better? sheesh!!"
In response to Reply # 30

I'm pretty sure com ain't making no money anyways....my boy Jaydee charge like $35,000 a beat.....and he did damn near the whole lp

pointfivefag
Charter member
2515 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 09:01 PM

32. "RE: Relativity was better? sheesh!!"
In response to Reply # 31

>I'm pretty sure com ain't making
>no money anyways....my boy Jaydee
>charge like $35,000 a beat.....and
>he did damn near the
>whole lp

J: WHOA.

I didnt think to earlier, but yes, im sure what u is sayin is tru. promoted , yea, but 500,000 copies for most artist eesentially represents the label making the money back that they put into the project.

he needs some movie parts.

better yet, a salaried A&R position at MCA. aint nothing like a evry otha friday check! fuk royalties!

peace
jubakalamka, pointfivefag

-------
don't let niggas call you faggot
don't let faggots call you nigger
-------
MY SPACE- it's that shit, yo.

http://www.myspace.com/jubakalamka
http://www.myspace.com/deepdickollective

http://www.jubakalamka.com
http://www.deepdickollective.com
http

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22829 Previous topic | Next topic