Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22786

Subject: "Most moving Me'shell song" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 01:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Most moving Me'shell song"

Yeah its a cheesy topic, but SO WHAT! Let's not just list songs either folks. Let's talk about it.
What about the song moves you?
What did u think when u first heard the cut?
Does it still move you? Why?

I'll start!

Well this is hard, but I'd have to choose "The Way" from "PEace Beyon Passion". When sister stated:
Maybe Judas was a better man
and Mary made a virgin just to save face
I am so ashamed on bended kness
Prayin' to my pretty white Jesus"

Firs time I hear that, it sent chills down my spine. I mean everyone loves to bash christianity, but damn those lines were potent and touched on the history of using Christainity to club folks to death. To this day this song is one of my favorites. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind and pick another song at a later date..

Minnie Ripperton - Free SoulFela Kuti -Expensive Shit/He Miss Road
Nina Simone - The Ultimate Collection
Nina Simone - In Concert/I Put A Spell on You
Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
Rahsaan Patterson - Rahsaan Patterson
Roy Hargrove - Moment to Moment

"Let's do it ladies. Nesta doesn't need you, you need Nesta!" - Some genius named SkipGotSkills

***CELEBRATING JU-LIE AS FAKE QUOTE MONTH***ON OKAYPLAYER.COM:

"Nah Ladies, I never looked at your asses!" - SkipGotSkills

"Nesta baby, I'm at the store. What do you want to eat for dinner tonight?" - Nia Long (on the cell phone)!

"Nesta, how can I live without you?" - Lyricalbullet (Hannah, please remember you Brits are no good at wars anyway, almost as bad as the French)

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Fool of Me
Jul 06th 2000
i like your signature
Jul 06th 2000
RE: i like your signature
Jul 06th 2000
Me 2.
Jul 06th 2000
Bittersweet & Satisfy
funkytown
Jul 07th 2000
RE: Fool of Me
Jul 07th 2000
Bitter
Jul 06th 2000
damn
Jul 06th 2000
RE: Most moving Me'shell song
Jul 06th 2000
hmm..
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
Mine....
Jul 06th 2000
      good looking on the old school cuts
Jul 06th 2000
Jul 06th 2000
if you check only one me'shell song
Jul 06th 2000
Go see her
Jul 06th 2000
If the venue
Jul 06th 2000
SHE IS GREAT IN CONCERT
Jul 06th 2000
Man...TRUST ME...
Jul 07th 2000
dred loc--shivvvver--n/m
Jul 06th 2000
agreed AND
Jul 06th 2000
Most Moving
Jul 06th 2000
outside your door
Jul 07th 2000
RE: outside your door
Jul 07th 2000
      He bit it!
Jul 07th 2000
           he bit it from meshell and george duke
Jul 07th 2000
maxey7
Jul 07th 2000
Jul 07th 2000
hell.. they all moving....
Embrya
Jul 07th 2000
"SOUL SEARCHING"
FG
Jul 07th 2000
Me'Shell's Version of "Make Me Wanna Holler"
jsmoovjr
Jul 07th 2000
ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3
mariaaj
Jul 07th 2000
ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3
mariaaj
Jul 07th 2000
Jul 07th 2000
i was so late...
Jul 08th 2000
Jul 08th 2000
Re: most moving
Jul 14th 2000
What's that song on...
Jul 15th 2000
MY BAD
Jul 15th 2000
HEY NESTA
Jul 16th 2000
RE: HEY NESTA
Jul 16th 2000

BabyGirl
Charter member
3831 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Fool of Me"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't listened to much of her music, but this one hit me right between the eyes. Dang, got me tearing up at my cubicle now!

To make it short, was involved with someone, but we had to end the relationship amicably, because his small daughter came to live with him and b/c of school for me (plus he worked during the day and I worked at night and we live an hour apart). He was only the second of two men that I've loved and been in love with. I called him about 5 months ago to talk to him and was totally blown off (said he would call me back...ask me have I heard from him). So when I heard parts of that song...

...you no longer have any interest in anything that I have to say...now that we're face to face, you won't look me in the eye...no friendship, no trust, no love...

... it hit pretty hard, which is part of why I don't like to listen to it now. Listening to it is like opening up my heart and looking inside, long and hard.

July Fake Quotes following!!

This hair thing is getting old...Im'a get a caesar cut - ?uestlove

Floor? Hell naw, I didn't eat no floor! - Common
(see tour journal - July 1)

The title of my latest poem is "Pimps Up, Hoes Down". - asighn4jane

Signature? What's that??? - fire

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:41 AM

6. "i like your signature"
In response to Reply # 1

;-)

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

BabyGirl
Charter member
3831 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 08:21 AM

16. "RE: i like your signature"
In response to Reply # 6

Thank ya, ma'am!

Hey, how was the N.O.?

July Fake Quotes following!!

This hair thing is getting old...Im'a get a caesar cut - ?uestlove

Floor? Hell naw, I didn't eat no floor! - Common
(see tour journal - July 1)

The title of my latest poem is "Pimps Up, Hoes Down". - asighn4jane

Signature? What's that??? - fire

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Me 2."
In response to Reply # 1

The line, "You say don't touch you/I can't touch you no more/Can't touch you" kills me everytime I hear it.

The last relationship I had ended with almost those same words. "Don't touch me". I have tears in my eyes now just remembering him saying that to me.

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

funkytown

Fri Jul-07-00 09:58 AM

27. "Bittersweet & Satisfy"
In response to Reply # 1

I know we were asked not to list but personally Me'shell has to be broken down. On a musical level Bittersweet is one of the most complex joints she's written. The music always puts me in a mellow state of mind and at the same time makes me wanna get up and boogie. On a lyrical level I'd have to go with Satisfy. I think it's the most poetic song she's done.
Too bad she's slept on.

"...but with all music (created) by African people, there's a dangerous pattern. We create it, nurture it, elevate it and abandon it"
?uestlove ...things fall apart liner notes

"...music is supposed to inspire...so how come we ain't gettin no higher"..."Superstar" Lauryn Hill

"...we're moving into this electronica shit. If this is the case, then I've got to make some funky ass computers" D'Angelo 1998 XXL interview

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 11:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "RE: Fool of Me"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah...I gotta admit, the use of that song in "Love and basketball" floored me. Very very very powerful piece of work. In fact, I'd call it the ultimate breakup song...captures the emptiness so well. lyrics are amazing. music just pulls you down. wow. putting the rhythm and the *blues* back into R&B, for real...

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Aviance
Charter member
657 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Bitter"
In response to Reply # 0

This song really touches on some very personal issues for me, therefore I would consider this new song the most moving for me right now. It makes me tingle and shiver when I hear it. I feel tears well in my eyes when I listen to this song.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
How you gonna win when you ain't right within? *LBoogie*
S U B T E R A N E O U S R E C O R D S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://uicradio.pages.uic.edu
"Underground Ambiance" Wed Nights
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outerlimitz

Typical cats

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:34 AM

10. "damn"
In response to Reply # 2

I went threw that exact situation, so that song does make me cry. And, I love "wasted time". Beautiful

sexual healing: its a good thing

I am wholeheartedly, completely, totally....and anymore words that mean that....in love with my man. We sometimes trip on how it all came about and how soon things happened, but the one thing that WE KNOW is that we truly love each other.
Because of the distance....we only have the devotion, unceasing thoughts, prayers, loyalty, and trust...the true unadulterated love of each other to go by. This is the real essence of a relationship. He is my inspiration for the day.... He is my natural high . Oh yes, I long to touch him beyond other things, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

WWW.CRAZY-BITCH.COM- Finally a homepage just for me!!!!!!

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:22 AM

3. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

Way
Wasted Time
Bittersweet
Let Me have You (Stella)

Nesta, since you know i luv da woman, this is a very hard question, but these songs have moved me moreso than any others by her. no more hard questions please.

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "hmm.."
In response to Reply # 0

sincerity
wasted time

Now get on the floor and suck my toes bee-otch!!!

BrownSkinLady
Charter member
279 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 04:39 AM

5. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

Has to be ~wasted time~ I read the lyrics before I played the song and DAMN after playing the song that shit remained on repeat!

click it! http://www.volunteermatch.org

K_A_Wright
Charter member
16168 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 05:04 AM

8. "2"
In response to Reply # 0

Wasted Time and Fool of Me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

Ju-LIE: Fake Quotes Month

I'm gonna have a sleep over at my crib and invite as many okayplayers as I possibly can. I hope they all bring 10 friends! - Questlove

I just want an ugly man I can walk down the street with and hold hands. - Brownskinlady

God - I hate round booties. - Emil

So-fuckin'-what? My skirt is so short you can see my butt cheeks - you know you like it... bitch. - bonamie

I'm such a fuckin' stud - all the hoes want me. - Dee

Stevie Wonder is a blind, talentless bastard. - Nesta

Kristy is a thug, ya'll - no doubt. - SkipGotSkills

k.

so much awesome in one place.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 05:13 AM

9. "Mine...."
In response to Reply # 8

Plantation Lullabies:
Souls On Ice (Cause i SAW exactly what she was talking about when i was oberlin college onthe REGULAR! )

Dred Loc (obvious reasoning. )
Sweet Love
Shootin Up and Getting High
Step Into The Projects

Peace Beyond Passion
Free My Heart (DAYAM...sista was on point about suicide, wasn't she?)
Faggot (she really SPOKE tofolks on this one)
Mary Magdeleine (deep one)
Who Is He And What Is He To You? (cause i WENT through that situation WAY TOO MUCH during college)
Bittersweet Flower

BITTER: ALL OF THE SONGS (playing it right now as i type this)

soundtracks:
Soul Searching (higher learning) THAT was the "making love to" song that year..this is THE ONLY SONG of hers to date (save for faggot and who is he and what is he to you) that gets CRAZY AIRPLAY in ohio...EVEN NOW.

The Teaching (Money Talks soundtrack)

Isolation (hurricane soundtrack)

Let Me Have You (one of the BEST SONGS on the stella soundtrack. that and the caryn wheeler/soul II soul jawns..the rest of the cd SUCKED ASS, IMHO)

im looking FORWARD to the alternative negro travelogue february 2001 (her newest ish..supposed to be out then). it's FUNKED OUT this time around..moreso than the first two.

***all straight from a friend who works for her NYC street team.

Ryan

Check Out My New Signature, Fam:

"If you don't like me, I'll punch you
dead in the fucking face"
--Vin Diesel (THE FACE--MAY 2000)

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

tinyteanie
Charter member
62 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 10:49 PM

20. "good looking on the old school cuts"
In response to Reply # 9

Bittersweet! If I ever see that liveinconcert I may have to kiss your feet Bashir! WHAT UP!!!
"You enchant me so, my bittersweet flower . . ." - Peace beyond Passion song #10
and "faggot"
- . . .daddies sweet little boy just a little too sweet, and every night the man would show the faggot what a real man should be,
but the man and the faggot will never see
was so many can't even perceive a real man
tell me
it's not that the faggot didn't find the woman fine and beautiful
he admired, desired her design
(wasn't enough for strong hands)
the faggot needed a love of a man!
FAGGOTS UNITE, I'm one too.
Peace from Norway!
hey did you check the D'Tour???? Its up again.
Tiny

judicem
Member since Jun 07th 2002
24 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 06:49 AM

11. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

Me'shell did this song on Rahzel's CD Called something. The song has very few lyrics but the meoldy and instruments and her voice course hit me in the heart when she says "Everybody wants to steal my soul." I feel her...Love of San Francisco

BobbyBlue
Charter member
722 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 07:15 AM

12. "if you check only one me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

it has to be her cover of Jimi Hendrix's 'May This Be Love'. This has got to be one of the best cover versions ever done as it is completely different to the original, and the spoken word part is beautiful. It's on the 'bitter' album. She's actually performing in London in a few weeks, but I dont know if I should spend the money to see her. I'd imagine that she would be good live, but does anyone know if she is good in concert?

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 07:31 AM

13. "Go see her"
In response to Reply # 12

Go get in line right now so you'll be in the front row.

Go.
Now!

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 07:33 AM

14. "If the venue"

isn't too big, go see her. Her music translates better in small to medium sized concert halls. She is excellent live, but sometimes the accoustics in the larger places take away from the emotion of her music.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 11:49 AM

18. "SHE IS GREAT IN CONCERT"

Don't play yourself. RUN don't walk to see her show. I've seen her four times and I'm mad that I missed a few times when she came to NYC.

Minnie Ripperton - Free Soul

"Let's do it ladies. Nesta doesn't need you, you need Nesta!" - Some genius named SkipGotSkills

"Nesta baby, I'm at the store. Waht do you want to eat for dinner tonight?" - Nia Long (on the cell phone)!

"Nesta, how can I live wtihout you?" - Lyricalbullet (Hannah, please remember you Brits are no good at wars anyway, almost as bad as the French)

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 07:26 PM

33. "Man...TRUST ME..."

GO see her live. THE best musical performance's I've EVER experienced from ANYONE. ANYONE. Do not miss this chance to see for yourself. You seem to be a fan of Hendrix...well the last time I saw her that's exactly how I felt...like I was experienceing what it must have felt like to see Hendrix in a small club early on in his career before he blew up large. I don't wan't to hype her too much, but she really is that good live. I can confidently say that her studio albums, great as they are, are no where NEAR as impressive as her live performances.

GO...and then let us know what YOU think!

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Shimmy
Charter member
45923 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 07:42 AM

15. "dred loc--shivvvver--n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

praisin the Vibe--Rascalz

“Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.†Anthony Bourdain

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 11:38 AM

17. "agreed AND"
In response to Reply # 15

Outside your door

JU-LIE FAKE QUOTES START HERE:

"I wasn't really feeling that Dude DSTL at the RE, I'm glad he ain't press the issue!"-LoveJones

"I always shy away from confrontation."-nushooz

"People always tell me I'm too immature and that I need to grow up."- strezzed

"I'm just gonna jump in and start postin' my azz off today, I'm replyin' to JustLisa's joints first!"- D'Angelo

"People have always told me that they wish they could be as extroverted as I am."- MeAnD7

"I think I need to put more energy into my performance during the Voodoo shows."- Shelby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Thu Jul-06-00 01:37 PM

19. "Most Moving"
In response to Reply # 0

Free My Heart. That guitar burns me.

Nice to see Me'shell on OKP. Is she to become a regular?

--Butcher

http://thebassgeek.net

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 12:35 AM

21. "outside your door"
In response to Reply # 0

all i know is brian mcnight better had paid for biting.

funny thing is she does "if you ever" (or whatever that songs name is.

"i'm digging you like an old soul record" that was one of two songs that bob power played me of different artist's he was working with on our first day of mixing together. .............the other was a ruff of some idiot client who had to come in on christmas morning after me to finish background on a song called "jones in my bones".

july fake ass quote month.

?uest presents stuff you missed at okaybarbque.

"pac, if you come back to the states just for this friggin bar b que....it's just a website man....too much at stake man......they will arrest you"

"russ, you know what happened the last time i came to your function at the hamptons.........naw man,......hell no! you and jah can not come to my bar b que! that nigga damn near shot up puff's dinner last week!!!!"

"hello?......dre this is my day off.....no i don't care about emergency, tracey said to clean up the kitchen til she got back........--huh, man i don't care if it's the last song on the nwa reunion record....i said no!......."stan"??? that shit sounds corny, who gonna name they shit "stan"??? sounds wack man.....get someone else to do a beat."

"shshhh (i'm not here!!!!!) (tell him somet--no!! no no don't pass me the phon--) hey d! whassup bruh?"

"hey hon maybe they are happy for us..."

all are false statements. one was said. guess which one.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 02:31 AM

22. "RE: outside your door"
In response to Reply # 21

?uest:
hasn't brian mcknight DENIED that they ripped me'shell off for that?? i remember when the song came out and me'shell basically "thanked him" for stealing from her (not in those words, but you get the general point). i do remember brian's team saying that they had that particular song DONE WELL BEOFRE plantation lullabies, i think (i could be wrong). either way, he owes her BIG TIME cause his song did do well when it came out (though, to this day, i don't know WHY....)

hmmm...well, no matter. Me'shell is the shit!

Ryan

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 04:41 AM

23. "He bit it!"
In response to Reply # 22

I've never heard them outright deny that he bit the song. I've always heard stuff like coincidence and they sound similar. Its the same damn song. Cut it out Brian, U tall long muthafucka (c) Eddie Murphy as Barber #1 from "Coming to America" at the Ms. Black Queens Pageant

Minnie Ripperton - Free Soul

"Nesta baby, I'm at the store. Waht do you want to eat for dinner tonight?" - Nia Long (on the cell phone)!

"Nesta, how can I live wtihout you?" - Lyricalbullet (Hannah, please remember you Brits are no good at wars anyway, almost as bad as the French)

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 04:50 AM

24. "he bit it from meshell and george duke"
In response to Reply # 23

there is a song by georg duke (?) that sounds just like it! my brother in law plays it all the time at their crib. i'm a call him later and ask him what the song is called and come back to this post.

maxey7

Fri Jul-07-00 08:59 AM

25. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

"Outside Your Door" - Plantation Lullabies
because persistence ain't no joke, though in some cases it can be considered stalking

"Mary Magdelene (sp)" - Peace Beyond Passion
I can relate with wanting something that is too far beyond your reach

"Fool of Me"/"Wasted Time" - Bitter
Both of these tell the story of the ending of my last relationship

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 09:51 AM

26. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw someone mentioned "The Teaching", but did you know that there's another version of it on the B-Side of the "Stay" single... It's a lot better than the version on the "Money Talks" soundtrack

--me--
http://www.thejawn.com/
http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild
http://www.thejawn.com/okprod

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Embrya

Fri Jul-07-00 01:05 PM

28. "hell.. they all moving...."
In response to Reply # 0

every last one of them entails a deep message..whether it's about a break up-, the revolution, forgiveness-, or some sellout cat. hell they all move me-but i have my favorites especially the way,diggin you (like an old soul record), step into the projects-(where i found love) , soul on ice- (-you let the sistahs walk on by--),outside your door-ohh goose bumps-- , shootin up and get high (i think that it's)-get high get high... bittersweet -that song is hot--', leviticus faggot-beyond deep, fool of me- that should be my blackass singing-You say that you don't care but we made love---ohh goodness, bitter came out at the right time- i went from a bittersweet FLOWER to just f**king bitter.
-anyway meshell is hot !.!

FG

Fri Jul-07-00 01:33 PM

29. ""SOUL SEARCHING""
In response to Reply # 28

Hey...let the chorus say it all...plus the way that the bass just talks to you at the end of the joint...

peace.

jsmoovjr

Fri Jul-07-00 02:25 PM

30. "Me'Shell's Version of "Make Me Wanna Holler""
In response to Reply # 0

With respect to subject matter, I based my poem "Sunhine" written in 1997 on this song largely because the song provided an impetus for pushing past my own issues with my parents. I too was a military brat living in Germany in the late 1970s and bore witness to the same things Me'Shell expresses in this song. It's funny that she is a featured artist on a site funded by the creater of "One Shine" as well--another of several songs that inspired the same poem.

As soon as I find my poem on one of my disks, I'll post it tomorrow morning.

Peace and Love.

James E. Houston, Jr.

"All that glitters ain't gold."

mariaaj

Fri Jul-07-00 03:41 PM

31. "ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace and Blessings from SF
Well Behaved Women Don't Make History- Anita Borg

mariaaj

Fri Jul-07-00 03:42 PM

32. "ME'SHELL IN SF 8/3"
In response to Reply # 0

For all those Me'shell fans in SF she will be here August 3, 2000 at the Fillmore so show some love.

Peace and Blessings from SF
Well Behaved Women Don't Make History- Anita Borg

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Fri Jul-07-00 07:31 PM

34. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

Make Me Wanna Holla (from Peace Beyond Passion)
Free My Heart (Also from Peace Beyond Passion)
Fool Of ME (from Bitter)

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

qtpi6
Charter member
1763 posts
Sat Jul-08-00 05:39 PM

36. "i was so late..."
In response to Reply # 0

on meshell. but im catching on now

FOOL OF ME
i think she read my mind on that one...so real it hurt

BEAUTIFUL

qtpi6

"Tonight I will attempt to look fetching enuff for attention I really don't want but think I am surviving enuff to handle." --asigHn4jane

"For the next year, I want to find the happy medium between protecting myself and letting myself live." --D_Dog

"You can't pretend there is nothing there, I look in your eyes and see you care." --EWF, CAN'T HIDE LOVE

Rozjack
Charter member
237 posts
Sat Jul-08-00 07:51 PM

37. "RE: Most moving Me'shell song"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd have to go with the latest CD. Fool of Me is so full of emotion. I can feel the pain. It's what I like to call "Soul Stiring." When I heard it in the Love & Basketball film I was like, "Damn Bythewood couldn't have picked a better song for that scene." And the Maxwell song for the love scene was the bomb too. Excellent source music.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...CAN'T WAIT!!!***

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

Vampidemic
Charter member
67 posts
Fri Jul-14-00 04:30 PM

38. "Re: most moving"
In response to Reply # 0

I've gotta start by saying everything Me'shell has put out is beautiful, so it's hard to make a decision here...

For 'moving' in an emotional sense I'd have to say "Outside Your Door", just cause that's a song that I can relate to on a personal level more than others.

But now if you want to talk shake-your-booty 'moving': "Shoot'N Up and Gett'n High" is one of my favorites. Especially when her band performs this live.

To the person that asked earlier --- GO TO THE SHOW! I've seen her perform four times since '94 and all of the shows have been incredible. Her band is amazing. Like D'Angelo, Me'shell really needs to put out a live album. It's great because I really love the production on her records, especially her work on the first two albums with David Gamson --- but her songs are incredible live, even better than on cd I'd have to say.

Much love to Okayplayer for selecting Me'shell as featured artist.

25percenter
Charter member
2161 posts
Sat Jul-15-00 05:58 AM

39. "What's that song on..."
In response to Reply # 0

the Higher learning soundtrack? (Don't nobody love me, can't nobody kiss me....the way you do....nobody). And the track on Red, Hot and Cool? If them songs don't make ya moist then...
(lemme stop)
MeShell can croon "outside door" make a "fool of me" anytime. It's a shame she's not more recognized for her brillance.

We do the world of music a favor when we turn her on to someone else.

25percenter

"Your Silence will not Protect You"
-Audre Lorde

"Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act"
-Marlon Riggs

"My verbal sound bites transfigga bitch niggaz to kings...dismantle th bling bling. Not only lyrical but nappiest/
and as for gay boy interventions in this hip hop tradition, I deliver so consider me the happiest "

-25percenter

D/DC (Deep Dickollective) Rules!!!!!
- my lil brotha

www.reddirt.biz
www.myspace.com/timmwest
www.myspace.com/deepdickollective
www.bravesoulcollective.org

*Diamonds are Coals under Pressure*
-Lorraine Hansberry

*Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act!
- Marlon Riggs

25percenter
Charter member
2161 posts
Sat Jul-15-00 08:16 PM

40. "MY BAD"
In response to Reply # 39

error...earlier i wrote

"We do the world of music a favor when we turn her on to someone
else."

Stupid mistake...should read "when we turn someone else on to her" but I think ya get the point.

25percenter

"Your Silence will not Protect You"
-Audre Lorde

"Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act"
-Marlon Riggs

"My verbal sound bites transfigga bitch niggaz to kings...dismantle th bling bling. Not only lyrical but nappiest/
and as for gay boy interventions in this hip hop tradition, I deliver so consider me the happiest "

-25percenter

D/DC (Deep Dickollective) Rules!!!!!
- my lil brotha

www.reddirt.biz
www.myspace.com/timmwest
www.myspace.com/deepdickollective
www.bravesoulcollective.org

*Diamonds are Coals under Pressure*
-Lorraine Hansberry

*Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act!
- Marlon Riggs

tinyteanie
Charter member
62 posts
Sun Jul-16-00 06:14 AM

41. "HEY NESTA"
In response to Reply # 0

Meshell is playing in about an hour at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Den Haag Holland. Oh damn! I'm IN Den Haag! Whoa, well I guess I'll just go and see her and then give you my response . . . .hehehe . . miss you!
Tiny

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sun Jul-16-00 07:48 AM

42. "RE: HEY NESTA"
In response to Reply # 41

hey there...give us a review of the concert (i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous you get to see her ass!)

ooh, hopefully, i'll see you when D'Angelo performs in pittsburgh 8/22.

Ryan

--bell hooks

--Lorraine Hansberry

--Jewel McCabe"

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Get Out the Room

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22786 Previous topic | Next topic