Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22494

Subject: "does D ever read this ish anymore?..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"does D ever read this ish anymore?..."

has he been readin' the boards??? (rhetorical ? i guess.) anyways i got some ?'s dat need answerin'.

1.)is he performing at this year's mtv video awards?

2.) if y'all could witness D perform with one of the masters, who would it be???

Prince?
James B.?
Sly?
Sheila E.?
Lenny?
Al Green?
Fela Kuti?
who???

It'd have to be some funky shit...

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
only ?uest knows. . .lol n/m
Jul 31st 2000
the greats
Jul 31st 2000
Fela is dead n/m
Jul 31st 2000
Prince, actually. n/m
FG
Jul 31st 2000
How could you leave out......
Soulquarium
Jul 31st 2000
seriously doubt it.
Aug 01st 2000
hardly any
Aug 01st 2000
      lol
Aug 01st 2000
      RE: hardly any
Aug 01st 2000
      gotta say this
Aug 01st 2000
      RE: hardly any
Aug 01st 2000
      uh, I agree
Aug 01st 2000
      pseudonyms
angieee
Aug 01st 2000
           RE: pseudonyms
Aug 01st 2000
           " i better stop with this"
angieee
Aug 01st 2000
                i'm telling!
Aug 01st 2000
                greatly appreciative ang n/m
Aug 01st 2000
                RE:
Aug 01st 2000
                     RE:
angieee
Aug 01st 2000
                          the good shit
Aug 01st 2000
           DAMN angieee...
Aug 01st 2000
                huh?
Aug 01st 2000
                lol! that could have two meanings
Aug 01st 2000
RE #2
Aug 01st 2000
Lenny who???
Aug 01st 2000
RE: Lenny who???
Aug 02nd 2000
      RE: Lenny
PaulBrown
Aug 02nd 2000
RE: does D ever read this ish anymore?...
Aug 03rd 2000
When will y'all get it?
Aug 03rd 2000
this thread must DIE!!
Aug 04th 2000
I understand what you're saying
Aug 07th 2000
well stated n/m
Aug 04th 2000

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "only ?uest knows. . .lol n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.I'm about sick of 'dem damn quotes~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

Spread
Member since Mar 13th 2003
7647 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the greats"
In response to Reply # 0

Lenny who?
pickett? white? wilkins? hmmm. the only other lenny I can think of is less of a great one than D'angelo. but I think this is a pointless post. He won't answer it. It just seems kinda like a post to get d to reply. good luck.

yep

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Jul-31-00 03:40 PM

3. "Fela is dead n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
NE LOVE/ LOVE
(THE HICE IS URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.
SELF PROMO SECTION(This space is for sale)
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=5061&forum=lesson&omm=0
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4682&forum=lesson&omm=0

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

FG

Mon Jul-31-00 06:31 PM

4. "Prince, actually. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Soulquarium

Mon Jul-31-00 07:57 PM

5. "How could you leave out......"
In response to Reply # 0

How could you leave out Terence Trent D'Arby, one of the greaest singer/songwriters that's still making music today. I'd love to hear some Branford Marsallis and Wynton marsallis on his next record, they would really help the songs to sound more full. Oh, by the way, I have heard 4 tracks off of TTD new record "The Soarl Return of terence trent D'Arby", and let me tell you, the man is back. Nothing will ever beat his first record, but if you loved "Introducing the Hardline" and "Symphony or Damn" you'll love this one. It's more soul than rock, from the songs I've heard(unlike Vibrator, his last record). Support D, a true artist, but please give props to TTD who has been doing his thing since 1987, and buy his next record when it comes out, SUPPORT REAL ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 04:40 AM

6. "seriously doubt it."
In response to Reply # 0

sometimes i wonder why he's a okayartist, he hardly ever interacts. don't get me wrong, i do love his music. but,....never mind.

cold water on this damn hot summer: its a good thing

I am wholeheartedly, completely, totally....and anymore words that mean that....in love with my man. We sometimes trip on how it all came about and how soon things happened, but the one thing that WE KNOW is that we truly love each other.
Because of the distance....we only have the devotion, unceasing thoughts, prayers, loyalty, and trust...the true unadulterated love of each other to go by. This is the real essence of a relationship. He is my inspiration for the day.... He is my natural high . Oh yes, I long to touch him beyond other things, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

JULY-AUG FAKE ASS QUOTE:

Damn Ahmir, I really like posting in MY diary. Okayplayer are cool peeps-D'Angelo

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 05:08 AM

7. "hardly any"
In response to Reply # 6

of the okayartists interact. if i didn't sit at this desk all day and was making music, my ass wouldn't log on either.

quest seems to do it out of love, but ya'll (them not you) are gonna make it so he never ever responds.

fucking backpackers

23july2000
u can't have my fire/they fear'd ur flame/& so sprayed caustic foam out of dbl sided lips/speakin like pale faces
w/broken peace pipes/U BLK/U UGLY/U
INK SPOT/which in it's translation of nigganglish resounded to/I AM BLK/
I AM UGLY/I DON'T HAVE IT SO I CAN'T WANNA LOVE U/beautiful transcriptionist u are...dark elegy/that heightens midnight stars/which pale in daylight
u spot of convection.../u say fierce real slow & be sayin "fire"/turn ur faces now to ur bricked bahamanian sphinx/look at her in ur wanton NEED
to be DARK as the meetin of mary's thighs/to be as BLK as sun spots
as UGLY as her heretofore eradicated nose/LOOK!!! at that blk girl gone blk
gone blue beyond blue beyond u
lookit fire y'all... leavin them w/burnt faces -k l moore
one...- the bad bitch asighn4jane

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 05:37 AM

8. "lol"
In response to Reply # 7

good thing i don't take these boards seriously, or i would have taken that seriously.lol

have a good day

I am wholeheartedly, completely, totally....and anymore words that mean that....in love with my man. We sometimes trip on how it all came about and how soon things happened, but the one thing that WE KNOW is that we truly love each other.
Because of the distance....we only have the devotion, unceasing thoughts, prayers, loyalty, and trust...the true unadulterated love of each other to go by. This is the real essence of a relationship. He is my inspiration for the day.... He is my natural high . Oh yes, I long to touch him beyond other things, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

JULY-AUG FAKE ASS QUOTE:

Damn Ahmir, I really like posting in MY diary. Okayplayer are cool peeps-D'Angelo

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

Spread
Member since Mar 13th 2003
7647 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 05:49 AM

9. "RE: hardly any"
In response to Reply # 7

I don't know what it has to do with backpacks all the time, but you can't post something directly towards an okayartist. they won't respond. Shit if they did, then everybody would be writing posts to artists and there would be no interaction between okayplayers. This ain't no fan club. Yes we are fans, but we can't expect busy-ass musicians to quit what they're doing and get on a computer and answer every question their fans want to know. I mean, as good of a job okayartists do(esp. ?love) at being normal real approachable people to us and try to be fam, they are famous people. There are a lot of people and things that want their time. Don't ask me why but that's the way it is. And no one ever really bitches about it unless it's d'angelo not responding. Yall are never gonna get wit that cat anyway, so just download your little picture, print that shit out, close your eyes and let your fingers do the walkin. When was the last time I heard people bitchin about black thought not responding? what, he ain't cute enough or something?
if an artist responds, that's cool. if they don't, don't hate this site because where else would you even have a fraction of a chance to talk music wit ?uest or have Common tell you what he thought about the different legs of his tour? that's what i thought. in the words of EPMD "you gots ta chill"

yep

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 05:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "gotta say this"
In response to Reply # 9

"I don't know what it has to do with backpacks all the time, but you can't post something directly towards an okayartist. they won't respond."

I've seen people say that periodically.

ACTUALLY, the first post I ever put up in Artist was directed to some of the Soultronics and Quest directly replied. It's the exception though, and not the rule.

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 06:01 AM

12. "RE: hardly any"
In response to Reply # 9

>And no one ever really
>bitches about it unless it's
>d'angelo not responding. Yall
>are never gonna get wit
>that cat anyway, so just
>download your little picture, print
>that shit out, close your
>eyes and let your fingers
>do the walkin. When
>was the last time I
>heard people bitchin about black
>thought not responding? what,
>he ain't cute enough or
>something?

: : : : :D
: : : : :D
: : : :D

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 05:51 AM

10. "uh, I agree"
In response to Reply # 7

?uest can post "BOO" and get like a View All in 30 seconds. . .many people say that that's not the reason they are here, and it's not the reason I'm here anymore, although initially it was the excitement of feeling like interacting with these heads. I'll be honest, I still dig it when any one of them comes on because they don't have to. I may not know of what I speak but I get the feeling that even if D' wasn't busy, he would post few and very far between, if at all - he doesn't strike me as an Internet type. Too private, and I can't say I blame him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

angieee

Tue Aug-01-00 09:16 AM

14. "pseudonyms"
In response to Reply # 7

for one okayartist. Y'all don't use your real names and neither does he. (like Tavis Smiley)

2. Everyone's personality is different. To answer the question about why D is an okayartist when he hardly interacts, we don't require that you post, just that you give more than you'd give a "normal" site. (Like allowing us to put up his Star Wars convo or him coming on and asking what his next song should be.)

And that's all for now, folks...

angieee ('stress)

First book, The Broke Diaries, coming March 2001, Random House. $9.95.

Read the updates M-F or you'll miss some good shit. http://www.okayplayer.com/updatef.html

See a post that needs to be removed? E-mail help@okayplayer.com

"Okayplayer is addictive like Ebay" - Danja Mowf

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:32 AM

15. "RE: pseudonyms"
In response to Reply # 14

(Like allowing us to put
>up his Star Wars convo
>or him coming on and
>asking what his next song
>should be.)
>

how about a chat night like he did for launch.com and another one he did but i can't remeber the site name. i'm not trying to dis brotherman, but...nevermind.
its all good, i better stop with this.

JULY-AUG FAKE ASS QUOTE:

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

angieee

Tue Aug-01-00 10:42 AM

16. "" i better stop with this""
In response to Reply # 15

...is a way of saying "Damn, someone has upset me this damn much and I really want to say something."

>how about a chat night like
>he did for launch.com and
>another one he did but
>i can't remeber the site
>name.

From what I hear....they sucked.

No one except ?uestlove LIKES carrying a laptop on tour. You have to be a real nerd to want to carry an extra heavy ass bag.

Anyway, I'mma let the man get off tour. When and if we chat, I want it to be the real person and set up guidelines. Not those free for all "I LUV YOU D" chats where sometimes the artist ain't nowhere around.

i'm not trying to
>dis brotherman, but...nevermind.
>its all good, i better stop
>with this.

Okay, it's all good.

Nevermind.

You'd better stop.

I'm just saying....everything ain't what it seems and just like people think "D did a chat with launch.com", I bet he was the last one to know he was even doing it. We hate the bureaucracy of setting ish up with people's staff. If it can't come from the horse's mouth, or with the approval of the horse's mouth, then get that shit outta here.

But, if it would make people feel better, we'll hire someone just to make D posts to create a comfortable illusion for people who don't like the fact that not everyone is comfortable with posting.

Please don't attach a tone to my post. Everything is said with a very smiley face. Just trying to explain some things I think some people might not understand.

angieee ('stress)

Read the updates M-F or you'll miss some good shit. http://www.okayplayer.com/updatef.html

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:48 AM

17. "i'm telling!"
In response to Reply # 16

>
>No one except ?uestlove LIKES carrying
>a laptop on tour. You
>have to be a real
>nerd to want to carry
>an extra heavy ass bag.
>

: : : : :

23july2000
u can't have my fire/they fear'd ur flame/& so sprayed caustic foam out of dbl sided lips/speakin like pale faces
w/broken peace pipes/U BLK/U UGLY/U
INK SPOT/which in it's translation of nigganglish resounded to/I AM BLK/
I AM UGLY/I DON'T HAVE IT SO I CAN'T WANNA LOVE U/beautiful transcriptionist u are...dark elegy/that heightens midnight stars/which pale in daylight
u spot of convection.../u say fierce real slow & be sayin "fire"/turn ur faces now to ur bricked bahamanian sphinx/look at her in ur wanton NEED
to be DARK as the meetin of mary's thighs/to be as BLK as sun spots
as UGLY as her heretofore eradicated nose/LOOK!!! at that blk girl gone blk
gone blue beyond blue beyond u
lookit fire y'all... leavin them w/burnt faces -k l moore
one...- the bad bitch asighn4jane

"respect my month or lick my rump! -fire da BITCH

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:58 AM

21. "greatly appreciative ang n/m"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 11:03 AM

22. "RE:"

that's why i said nevermind, because i didn't want it to come off the wrong way. people are very quick to think something is negatively said on these boards, when i really wasn't trying to be. i was hoping we could get alittle more interaction that all. i was using the chat night on launch.com as a example, not being bitchy.

i guess i'll be getting cursed out threads.lol

JULY-AUG FAKE ASS QUOTE:

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

angieee

Tue Aug-01-00 12:27 PM

23. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 22

>that's why i said nevermind, because
>i didn't want it to
>come off the wrong way.
>people are very quick to
>think something is negatively said
>on these boards, when i
>really wasn't trying to be.

I didn't think you were, which is why I put the note about *not reading tone* into my e-mail, either. I didn't want you to think I was coming at you...just explaining.

>i was hoping we could
>get alittle more interaction that
>all. i was using the
>chat night on launch.com as
>a example, not being bitchy.

Understood. And when I replied I was just saying that that chat shit is "typical" and half the time, it don't even be the damn artist. People's questions don't get thru, the artist doesn't want to do it. I refuse to force someone to participate or to do some wack shit. That's the easiest way to get them not to want to do shit.

This is D's HOME. He can be quiet and watch TV or he can run naked through the living room. It's his choice. He VISITED launch.com and had to be polite.

We could do have someone make fake D posts everyday and we'd have every woman in a training bra hitting up the site and be popular like ebay. But...that's not his personality to post everyday, and as corny as it sounds, I'd rather keep it real.

>i guess i'll be getting cursed
>out threads.lol

Not from me. And if you do from anyone else, e-mail me and I'll delete them.

Ang

angieee ('stress)

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 02:12 PM

24. "the good shit"
In response to Reply # 23

"Not from me. And if you do from anyone else, e-mail me and I'll delete them."

Stress- not to be effed with. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:54 AM

18. "DAMN angieee..."
In response to Reply # 14

you type sex ...

"you're so fuckin' money baby..." vince vaughn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:56 AM

19. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 18

i never ever heard that one....

i'm in a silly mood everything is funny right now

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 10:57 AM

20. "lol! that could have two meanings"
In response to Reply # 18

i.e.: "shyt is TYPE ridiculous" or literally "typing with fingers" sexy, lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackpearl
Charter member
296 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 08:23 AM

13. "RE #2"
In response to Reply # 0

if I must pick from your list, defintely Prince... James brown would have been cool back in the day, but now.... my personal choice would be D' & George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic - that ish would be RIDICULOUS

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 03:25 PM

25. "Lenny who???"
In response to Reply # 0

Lenny ________?????

help me out y'all I know he can't be talking about Kravitz (spelling?)

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 05:38 AM

26. "RE: Lenny who???"
In response to Reply # 25

lenny bruce. of course lenny kravitz. what's wrong with him. i guess not a lot of okaypeeps like him huh??? sorry...

PaulBrown

Wed Aug-02-00 05:53 AM

27. "RE: Lenny"
In response to Reply # 26

lenny kravitz is no master. he's cool but man-
come on- he's very limited. i would love to see
d with prince. prince is THE master- genius.
nobody even touches him

chocolateboywonder
Charter member
211 posts
Thu Aug-03-00 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "RE: does D ever read this ish anymore?..."
In response to Reply # 0

People are gonna mess around and make D write his own version of 'Stan'. You don't need to be all up in his life. He'd post if he felt it.

http://newelement.org/frankie/
http://www.crooklyndodgers.com/ <--- buy this please.

www.rappersiknow.com
www.flickr.com/photos/fwmj
www.myspace.com/fwmj
and sometimes facebook

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Thu Aug-03-00 05:49 PM

29. "When will y'all get it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay, I'ma type this really slow so everyone finally understands. Okayartists do not need to post. I do feel they have an obligation to interact with us, but it does not have to be through the boards. The boards are they most time consuming portion of okayplayer, and I bet D' doesn't have a lot to free time 'waste' on here. He is however touring, getting into the studio, and working on the diary. You want him to post too? I've never heard y'all complain to ?uest to get off the boards and into the studio, so why should it be the other way around away for D'?

Don't get me wrong I really wish he would post too, and maybe he is (c)ang, but y'all can't ruin it and expect him back especially 100%.

This post wasn't targeted at anyone person, so don't get pissed. (((y'all doesn't = you)))I just want people to understand that okayplayer is bigger that the boards. D' is still offering more than the average artist, don't take that for granted.

Its bigger than...
THE...BOARDS...
THE...BOARDS...
THE...BOARDS...
THE
Its bigger that... (c) dead prez "hip-hop"

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Fri Aug-04-00 08:30 AM

30. "this thread must DIE!!"
In response to Reply # 29

cheese & rice!!! i'm killing this post. i retract my post. let's talk about the weather.

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Aug-07-00 07:56 AM

32. "I understand what you're saying"
In response to Reply # 30

You weren't complaining that he doesn't post, you were just saying 'asking a question on here is probably pointless if he doesn't post'. right?

Again, I wasn't responding to you; you just got me thinking.

peace,
TRQLL

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Fri Aug-04-00 03:49 PM

31. "well stated n/m"
In response to Reply # 29

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #22494 Previous topic | Next topic