Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20768

Subject: "How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Shawn_Gee
Charter member
969 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?"

Let me start off by saying that I think Stankonia is aiiight. I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5. I love the fact that Dre and Big Boi aren't scared to push the envelope....but sometimes pusing the envelope doesn't always equate to quality shit (see kool keith). I know y'all are gonna jump on my back because most of y'all think this album is the best shit ever....but we can debate that on one of the thousands of Stankonia review posts on the review board.

My question is now that 'kast will probably debut 1 or 2 and will probably scan (my prediction) somewhere around 300,000 - 400,000......maybe even more in their first week, how will that affect ?uest and Thought when preparing their next album?

Will The Roots "push the envelope" with some next level shit? If they do try and push the envelope and miss....what would happen to their core fanbase?

Will Thought expand beyond the braggadocio hip-hop style that he's mastered to this point? Will he sing a little, will he let the people finally see the how talented he really is?

Will ?uest leverage some of the relationships he's fostered and have a Roots album with D'Angelo, Zach, Lenny, Macy, Jill?

Will the Roots switch up the tempo and give us a BOB type of song? Or will it be the same formula?

Will ?uest deliver some of that extraordinary shit that he gave Common and D'Angelo?

Which Roots will we see on this album? the almost hardcore hip hop Illadelph halflife version (my favorite)? the laid back experimental DYWM version? or the hybrid TFA version?

I, for one hope Outkasts success shows the fellas that its alright to grow and expand and try new shit. I hope Thought and ?uest make use of their immediate family (Jaguar, Jill, Jazzees,James Poyser, Scott Storch), their extended family (Mos, Common, Talib, Dead Prez, D' Ang, Badu...etc) and add some new folks to the mix (Lenny Kravitz, Zach, some Jazz cats, some Rock cats, some folk cats). After heaing the live version of You Got Me and Hip-Hop (Dead prez), on the tour...i think some rock influenced tracks would be hot (not hard rock...just subtle rock influenced tracks). I am eagerly anticipating the next Roots album....are y'all?

"Ernest Lee is Shorty. In the Little Leagues, he can front like he’s something important, but any attempt to move into the big time leaves him exposed, shocked, and utterly outclassed". - (taken from the Blowhard league archives)

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DAMMIT SHAWN!!!!!!!!!!1
Nov 06th 2000
RE: How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?
Amilcar
Nov 06th 2000
Nov 06th 2000
u ask a lot of damn questions...
Nov 06th 2000
small answer--
Nov 06th 2000
i was thinking about the same thing...
Nov 06th 2000
the Roots have matured
Nov 06th 2000
So many questions...
Nov 06th 2000
Do that shit do that shit do it!
Nov 06th 2000
guests and hosts, hostess guess
Nov 06th 2000
      Will ignore comment and say...
Nov 07th 2000
PUSH THE DAMN ENVELOPE, PUSH IT!!!!!
Nov 06th 2000
word y/u/p
Nov 06th 2000
Nov 06th 2000
Both groups..
Nov 06th 2000
Depends on the definition of Pushing the Envelope....
Nov 06th 2000
Stank-on-the-Roots
Nov 06th 2000
Last time I checked, Outkast and The Roots
Nov 07th 2000
All I know...
Nov 07th 2000
Reggie_Reg
Nov 07th 2000
thank you shawn
Nov 07th 2000
answer the question
Nov 08th 2000
      there probably will be 0 effect
Nov 08th 2000
no Lenny & Macy allowed: stay the fuck out!
Nov 07th 2000
Holden007
Nov 07th 2000
wyclef with the roots?
Nov 08th 2000
vuduchild
Nov 07th 2000
Nov 07th 2000
Nov 08th 2000
But is that how genius really works?
Nov 08th 2000
joutofNC
Nov 09th 2000
Nov 09th 2000

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "DAMMIT SHAWN!!!!!!!!!!1"
In response to Reply # 0

i was gonna post the same thing in the lesson this week.

bunk u.

IF U LIKE HEAT, YOU’LL LOVE ME

the funk will not be televised
the funk will not be plagiarized
the funk will not be sampled
the weak will all be trampled
the funk will not be duplicated
the funk will not be conjugated
the funk will only be recorded
the weak will not be rewarded
the power of the funk compels u
stay tuned for the future of the funk………..

BLACK MUSIC 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

songs not of the weak:
soulsista/bilal
toilettisha/kast
asiplayed/tonex
someone2love/mint
thankufalettinmebemyselfagain/sly&nem
iwonderu/prince
rocketlove/stevie
elevation/u2;
in a little while/u2

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Amilcar

Mon Nov-06-00 11:12 AM

2. "RE: How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?"
In response to Reply # 0

The success of Outkast combined with the mythical commentary of the southern swing of the Okayplayer tour will surely grant the Roots the room to explore. (Mofos are still talking about the rock version of you got me)

The masses are growing…I think the music(mainstream) has pushed the limit of misogyny, dullness, non-visionary music to a point that people will begin to turn the ears away from the norm.

How many different ways can we talk about killing each other or how phat your leased BMW is the people will speak.

Blacks folks have never been monolithic…hence 3.billion dollars for BET.

The people are ready…hell my Moma even knows who the Roots are.

They should push on.

Having a record label is similar to enslaved Africans having fruit and veggie stands on plantations.

dayzblack
Charter member
1129 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 12:23 PM

11. "RE: How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?"
In response to Reply # 2

>
>Having a record label is similar
>to enslaved Africans having fruit
>and veggie stands on plantations.
>

Good point,I'm feeling that.

Follow me on Twitter, and talk shit LIVE!
http://twitter.com/dlemoncomedy

KDfromWestP
Charter member
562 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:12 AM

3. "u ask a lot of damn questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

so let me get to answering...

>My question is now that 'kast
>will probably debut 1 or
>2 and will probably scan
>(my prediction) somewhere around 300,000
>- 400,000......maybe even more in
>their first week, how will
>that affect ?uest and Thought
>when preparing their next album?

it shouldn't....the guys know the formula for making quality music....just stick to the plan and don't worry about what the next man is doing...

>Will The Roots "push the envelope"
>with some next level shit?

well ?uest has already gone on record saying that he's trying to push that mofo...

> If they do try
>and push the envelope and
>miss....what would happen to their
>core fanbase?

win some/lose some...hopefully they'll gain more than they'll lose though...then you'll have heads (like some of the one who post to this very site) who will buy it anyways just cuz it's The Roots...the core will remain and if they do miss, then they better have some *bangin'* remixes/b-sides...

>Will Thought expand beyond the braggadocio
>hip-hop style that he's mastered
>to this point? Will
>he sing a little, will
>he let the people finally
>see the how talented he
>really is?

you're talking about Thought's solo right?...my guess?....he'll continue to do what he's known for...I don't see him doing any "Umi Says" type jawns tho'...me personally, I'm just lookin' to hear his flow over some other production (JayDee, Hi-Tek, Primo, RZA(?))...also, it wouldn't hurt to have Jigga on the LP...that's an extra hunnid thou right chea....

>Will ?uest leverage some of the
>relationships he's fostered and have
>a Roots album with D'Angelo,
>Zach, Lenny, Macy, Jill?

is this gonna be a double album?..that's the only way I can see everybody being satisfied...there's SO much The Roots can do, but I don't see it all happening on one album, honestly.

>Will the Roots switch up the
>tempo and give us a
>BOB type of song? Or
>will it be the same
>formula?

well I see each LP as different...so naturally they *should* switch up the tempo...I have no idea what to expect...just like before...but that's a good thing.

>Will ?uest deliver some of that
>extraordinary shit that he gave
>Common and D'Angelo?

yeah...but he better be prepared for the backlash...just like some folks didn't like "Voodoo" and "LWFC", you can't please everyone...

>Which Roots will we see on
>this album? the almost
>hardcore hip hop Illadelph halflife
>version (my favorite)? the
>laid back experimental DYWM version?
>or the hybrid TFA version?

I think it'll be a version we have yet to see...personally I'll be let down if they went back to an older formula...change that shit up, you're forerunners in your craft....anybody can put together a mediocre album...The Roots are better than that.

>I, for one hope Outkasts success
>shows the fellas that its
>alright to grow and expand
>and try new shit. I
>hope Thought and ?uest make
>use of their immediate family
>(Jaguar, Jill, Jazzees,James Poyser, Scott
>Storch), their extended family (Mos,
>Common, Talib, Dead Prez, D'
>Ang, Badu...etc) and add some
>new folks to the mix
>(Lenny Kravitz, Zach, some Jazz
>cats, some Rock cats, some
>folk cats).

Like I said, all that sounds good, I just don't see it ALL happening on ONE album ((double album???))

I can dream can't I?

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:19 AM

5. "small answer--"
In response to Reply # 3

>is this gonna be a double
>album?..that's the only way I
>can see everybody being satisfied...there's
>SO much The Roots can
>do, but I don't see
>it all happening on one
>album, honestly.

from what i've gathered, the goal is an 'illmatic' jawn--10-11 songs, all songs tightaseff...

if it's on some push-the-limitishness, it could be a jagged little pill for some to swallow...we may find out who has the rugged esophogus.

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:14 AM

4. "i was thinking about the same thing..."
In response to Reply # 0

outkast has hit that balance of critcal/artistic acclaim and commercial success/mainstream acceptance. even though Stankonia is out there, people (even those that use music as background noise) are feeling it.

does this mean that the public could be somewhat primed for some mindblowing material?

would the Roots take it there (ask 'if' or 'could' seems like a moot point)?

peace...
mosaic|aim:treisdeuce
cruciverbalist|spilt.ink|wst.phx
roosevelt supermarket--food, liquor, childhoods
"i'm writing this blindly."--dmitry kolesnikov from the ninth compartment of the kursk

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:23 AM

6. "the Roots have matured"
In response to Reply # 0

I think they will take things to the next level, as they have all improved musically - and Black Thought's vocal consistency can only be accentuated by a new twist in the composition of the next album.
?uestlove's production skills are being honed with each new project he takes on, and I'm certain the Soulquarian artists' influence/inspiration will be evident.
I don't think the Roots will ever get as wild as Outkast with the pace of the music but I do think they'll come through with something futuristic while still staying true to their roots.
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color." ~Senator Jay Billington Bulworth --Bulworth

"I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?" ~Navin R. Johnson --The Jerk

Doris: "Aretha...unusual name"
Aretha: "Yeah, I think my parents were expecting somebody black"
Doris: ..........."Are you black?"
Aretha: .........."no"
Shirley MacClaine and Robin Barlett ~Postcards From The Edge

"What color underwear am I wearing?" ~Lois Lane --Superman

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Jamal_Yall
Charter member
32094 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "So many questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

...such a brief response...

I am currently living under the impression that Ahmir won't get sufficient rest UNLESS the next Roots album is on some "next ish"...

REDEFINING.....REDEFINING...REDEFINING...

T'is the underlying theme of concerned "artists" who grow with each release...

My personal Roots appeal leans HEAVILY toward "DYWM" simply because of the general cohesiveness and overall beautiful sound incorporated in that album....

Formulas, however, must change....Hence the "Illadelph" sound and the subsequent "TFA" (my least favorite of all the 5th's releases)

One harbinger of the "next Roots sound" exists as I type...."Burned Hollywood Burned"....I KNOW Ahmir said that he doesn't give the best material to soundtracks, but that's the sh*t that I believe that they will embrace....

Losing fanbase?? That's about as inevitable as sneezing....

That is all....

http://www.jamalyall.com- "Sign my guestbook"- Matt

"First I'll just tap the breaks to let em' know to stop f*ckin' w/ me...Then I'll call the cops and be like 'An accident is about to happen'"- O.C.

"Body oils and incense, shawty.....Big body tees, yerrrrrp..." Shaylin

NON, b*tch!!

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:26 AM

8. "Do that shit do that shit do it!"
In response to Reply # 0

My gripe would only be if the next Roots album becomes a big guestfest. Bah leave that to the folks that can't handle a record on their own.

Hmmm...why do I smell a double album?

Five Stages: 1)denial 2)anger 3)fear 4)remorse 5)acceptance...where are you today?

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 07:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "guests and hosts, hostess guess"
In response to Reply # 8

>My gripe would only be if
>the next Roots album becomes
>a big guestfest.

EVERY Roots album is a guestfest. Or were you not paying attention?

anyway, Ahmir do what the fuck you're gonna do. Sure, I think the Outkast album will be an influence, it's a dope album from a contemporary. But I expect their response will be similar to the PE/Rakim thing back in the day (when "Rebel Without a Pause" was allegedly a response to being inspired by "Eric B is President" if my memory serves...totally diff. sounding songs, just inspiration to raise the bar and all that).

Burned Hollywood Burned was bananas.

I'd like to see the cats toy with the idea of doing a concept album. There hasn't been a concept album from the fam and I think they could do something amazing.

I was listening to Lou Reed's "heroin" a few weeks ago and marvelling at how the music fit the theme, making you feel like you were going through a heroin rush (um, I never used heroin, I'm guessing. ha.)

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com - where some OKP called Radiohead "wrist slitting music", another OKP typed from the first person of a pair of panties to dis some girl, and yet another OKP confessed that she had fondled Amphibian Joe Villa while he was sleeping. Come join the insanity...

"Spread Love" video show: the best in underground live performances and videos, Mondays at 10:30pm, Fridays at 9:30pm, Channel 25 (District Cablevision), Channel 10 (Starpower)

Butterfly Dragons EP coming soon
KHEMystery EP coming soon

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Tue Nov-07-00 11:22 AM

22. "Will ignore comment and say..."
In response to Reply # 16

I'm talking about all but 2 songs with folks on it
EX:
Break down feat Jag
Move the heads feat slum vil
Make it happen feat flo brown, lenny kravitz, jay z
Oh shit they done did it now feat those two cats off of South Street that we meet on tour

That's what I'm talking about, dawg

Five Stages: 1)denial 2)anger 3)fear 4)remorse 5)acceptance...where are you today?

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:28 AM

9. "PUSH THE DAMN ENVELOPE, PUSH IT!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not saying they should mimic outkast, but they should have grown musically since the last album. if they keep using the same formula, then their selling themselves short. the main formula is "LIVE MUSIC" that's what makes the Roots untouchable. The Roots have been all over the world, done separate projects, work with different artist, and the next album should reflect that. they should keep the main ingredent, but make it a whole lot spicier. i think i remeber quest saying that he did some things with common that he always wanted to do with a roots album. do that shit man! don't be close-minded to anything(different producers,guest artist,etc)! i just hope they don't stick to the same formula.

I'm done....

FAVORITE VERSE OF THE MONT
"put on gasoline boots and walk through HELL!"(c)Method Man

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

Jamal_Yall
Charter member
32094 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "word y/u/p"
In response to Reply # 9

That is all....

http://www.jamalyall.com- "Sign my guestbook"- Matt

"First I'll just tap the breaks to let em' know to stop f*ckin' w/ me...Then I'll call the cops and be like 'An accident is about to happen'"- O.C.

"Body oils and incense, shawty.....Big body tees, yerrrrrp..." Shaylin

NON, b*tch!!

bw
Charter member
1668 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 02:57 PM

12. "RE: How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?"
In response to Reply # 0

outkast's success? how about TFA's success? I think that it will influence the new album more than 'kast's recent success - the fact that you can say each album brings a different Roots is testament to that.

And on the topic of collaborators, keep the list large but there are those who would be better left off. Not that they don't deserve to participate, but I think that if Roots/?uest/other producers focused on making a Roots album, perhaps utilizing the okay fam, that would be the best.

I personally am not feeling zach dela or kravitz....but a d'/common/roots track would be so nice, throw in some jazzys...
I think that there are places to go where The 'Notic started.

bw
aim: okayplayer47

ps - I hope y'all don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a zack-hater; i think the 1st rage album is really tight and they worked in a direction few could handle the way they could. But I checked Burned Hollywood Burned, and i just wasn't feeling it. maybe the album will shed some light.

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 05:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Both groups.."
In response to Reply # 0

Feed off each other..
I think they are really each other's only competition..and yes Stankonia will obviously influence what the roots are gonna do next.
Personally, I'd like a "harder" album, a little bit rock influenced with some hard drums..and maybe some more serious lyrics..something kinda to blow people away..like introducing the ROOOOTTSSS motherfucka!
I dunno if I made sense.
I also think Jag and Flo and them would be good on the album.
But I have a feeling that this one is gonna be a banger..definietly excited.

I was thiking about posting something along these lines, but I just saw this..people reading my mind LOL

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

5 Dope songs of the moment:
1.Outkast "Red Velvet"
2.Jay-Z "Soon you'll understand"
3.Dice Raw "If I only had words"
4.Radiohead "Idioteque"
5.Jay-Z "Where have you been?"

NazDak
Charter member
2168 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 06:32 PM

14. "Depends on the definition of Pushing the Envelope...."
In response to Reply # 0

...some artists push the envelope and like to inform their fans...make it something noticable that the fans can enjoy amongst one another. Others artists suffer from an 'Andy Kaufman Complex'....where they do all kind of wonderful things in the studio, using SO many great new innovative recording techniques...but never seem to let the public in on the secret, as long as its entertaining to themselves.
If Illadelph were released today (and marketed correctly, of course), it would be a huge success. Things fall apart would still need Eryka, and DYWM would only remain known to the so called 'true' heads. Take that how you will.
Peace,
Naz

Http://www.bluechip-productions.com
BlueChip Productions, LLC

Muzic Theory shall return!
www.muzictheory.com
www.myspace.com/muzictheory

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 06:42 PM

15. "Stank-on-the-Roots"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the Roots would try to push the envelope regardless of Stankonia really. Yeah, ?uest has been saying he wants the new album to be the ultimate shit, but really, the Roots doing an Outkast type jawn would almost be as silly as Outkast trying to do Essaywhuman?!?

If you look at their production, the Roots have grown musically with every album, and just from hearing all the Soulquarian tracks that've come out in the last year, you know it's going to be good.

1Love,
BigPerm

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails, OH HELL there he go again, talkin' that shit..."

In the Deck

Dice Raw - Reclaiming the Dead
Miles Davis - Milestones
Mystikal - Let's Get Ready
Outkast - Stankonia
Outkast - Stankonia
Outkast - Stankonia

MrBastard
Charter member
252 posts
Tue Nov-07-00 06:55 AM

17. "Last time I checked, Outkast and The Roots"
In response to Reply # 0

...were two entirely different groups that make different types of rap music. This isn't '85, rap is very diverse now, and comparing two groundbreaking groups randomly is a waste of energy. The styles and audiences may overlap a bit, but both groups clearly have different influences.

It's entirely possible that neither member of Outkast own a Coltrane record, while no member of the Roots has a Too Short tape.

In the 70's, did Kool & The Gang change their shit up because of Parliament/Funkadelic? Ok, they did. Bad example. But you see where I'm going here. The Roots should make another Roots record, not dress in peculiar clothes and jack up the bpm just to mimic Kast.

Outkast's new record has Dr. Funkenstein written all over it, (and not just the basslines, Dr. Dre) which is pretty amazing if we forget about Digital Underground. The Roots pioneered live instrumentation in hip hop to some extent, if we forget about the Beastie Boys. Let's be open-minded and let these guys do their thing.