Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20480

Subject: "To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year old ..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
meekone

Thu Dec-07-00 03:27 PM

"To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year old ..."

I just checked out DA JAWN section at the roots website. And i watched a video where Black Thought and ?uestlove are smoking a spliff(hopefully someone will prove me wrong and say it is a cigarette). What the f**k is that man? You guys are supposed to be my role models. I look up to you guys. I would have never thought that you guys smoke the ish. I know Talib does but he doesn't post videos of him blidded out his mind fumbling around the studio.
I just want you all to know. I serious don't want to see any of the okayplayer artists in the news paper with the headlines ". . . CAUGHT WITH ILLEGAL CONTRABAN."
So just i want to remind you guys that i look up to you artist, and i want you guys to think before you put video like that out.

Excuse all my grammatical errors i am to lazy to check this over.

meekone
Ontario, Canada
ps> can you guys just push back the tour date for me in toronto I broke my leg, so i am gonna miss it.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
?uestlove smoking...you sure?
angieee
Dec 07th 2000
They might have smoked...
JoJoJu
Dec 07th 2000
I thought...
Dec 07th 2000
be your own man you spineless jellyfish
Dec 07th 2000
hey, i'll relieve you of those "the last dragon soundtrack" albums
Dec 08th 2000
RE: be your own man you spineless jellyfish
Dec 08th 2000
RE: To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year ...
Dec 07th 2000
Dec 07th 2000
puff puff give!!!
Dec 07th 2000
who are you to judge them?
Dec 07th 2000
?uest doesn't smoke
Dec 08th 2000
who cares if quest smokes weed!!
Khalid
Dec 08th 2000
Moron! That's not ?uest!
Dec 08th 2000
weed is for the children
Dec 08th 2000
Just saw the video.....
Dec 08th 2000
lol
Dec 08th 2000
ed zackerly
Dec 08th 2000
RE: lol
Dec 08th 2000
      what special?? n/m
Dec 10th 2000
Ain't no spot like a weed spot!
Dec 08th 2000
LOL!!!!!
Dec 08th 2000
      i just knew that spirit was gonna beat you to that response burb.
Dec 08th 2000
      :-) n/m
Dec 08th 2000
      Burb...
Dec 11th 2000
           RE: Burb...
Dec 11th 2000
           and oh yeah.......
Dec 11th 2000
How Dre 3000 broke my heart.
Dec 08th 2000
how the dixie chicks broke mine
Dec 08th 2000
questlove told me i didnt need drugs to be nice!
Dec 09th 2000
hopes this teachers your young ass a question...
SheRise
Dec 08th 2000
i know how you feel....
Dec 08th 2000
lol! u crazy n/m
Dec 10th 2000
meek, it's cool, man
Dec 08th 2000
Can not believe you are saying this...
Illosophicles
Dec 09th 2000
Blackberry
Dec 09th 2000
I can understand what you're saying, kinda
Dec 09th 2000
meekone
Dec 09th 2000
Maybe you should have paid more attention...
nappyhead earth
Dec 10th 2000
Maybe you should have paid more attention...
nappyhead earth
Dec 10th 2000
RE: Maybe you should have paid more attention...
Dec 10th 2000

angieee

Thu Dec-07-00 03:45 PM

1. "?uestlove smoking...you sure?"
In response to Reply # 0

Black Thought and ?uestlove
>are smoking a spliff

Damn, ?uestlove has a hidden life. I have never ever ever ever ever seen him smoking herb...or a cigarette. Matter of fact, he doesn't even inhale too hard when incense is around.

Check again...sure that was ?uest? You know how ishy Real Video can look at times.

angieee ('stress)

THE BOOK DOES NOT COME OUT UNTIL APRIL, but you can pre-order it now! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679783571/qid%3D976231399/sr%3D1-1/okayplayer/107-9653818-1653329

Awww...come on! Chris Rock likes it...and you will, too! http://www.okayplayer.com/etc/images/ang/cover.jpg.

(sorry, I'm excited. I worked hard as eff and April seems oh, so far away...)

Need an answer that is not in the FAQ (http://www.okayplayer.com/etc/faq/faq.htm), e-mail help@okayplayer.com

"we survive in exact relation to the dedication of our poets (includes preachers, musicians, and blues singers)" - Maya Angelou, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings.

JoJoJu

Thu Dec-07-00 03:47 PM

2. "They might have smoked..."
In response to Reply # 0

...but did they inhale?

Top 10 Christmas Songs

10. Merry Christmas, Baby - Charlie Brown

9. Do You Hear What I Hear - Gladys Knight and the Pips

8. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Lou Rawls

7. White Christmas - Otis Reading

6. Silent Night - Temptations

5. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Jackson 5

4. O Holy Night - sung by my grandmama

3. Christmas Time Is Here - Vince Guaraldi

2. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole

1. This Christmas - Donny Hathaway

Have a Very Merry and a Happy Nappy!

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I thought..."
In response to Reply # 0

I remember hearing that ?uest didnt even drink. maybe it was just smoking

-zero

AIM name / monkeybars j5
http://www.7moonz.com -- make christmas special for a fellow okp and his mom
http://www.mp3.com/AKILJ5MC -- when you think of santa, you think christmas. now, think akil (of j5) and okp abduljaleel

okayouth: giving you true youth since 2000
- dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - mzhotgirl - DROots - okaybrazilian - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - Essaywhuman - GoldenWon (the resident okayyoungadult) - Preach - Hersheybit (she a grown ass woman) - brown_thought - naame - akweykan - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn - Imfntubby - WhiGoStaR - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD - TotalRequestloveLive - vuduchild -

"I don't care what they say about us anyway" - weezer

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "be your own man you spineless jellyfish"
In response to Reply # 0

dont live off of what they do punk! now about i kick you in the shin? how about i jump off of a crate of "the last dragon soundtrack" albums and twist in mid air and bite you in the nose all before i land on the ground? how about i do 23 backflips while singing the music to "soap" and jump back foward and piss on the bib of your hat? you you like that bitch!?!?!

DECEMBER IS "CHRISTMAS IN HOLLIS" MONTH!!!!
"It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, Mom's cooking chicken and collard greens, Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese, And Santa put gifts under Christmas trees, Decorate the house with lights at night, Snow's on the ground, snow white so bright, In the fireplace is the yule log, Beneath the mistle toe as we drink egg nog, The rhymes you hear are the rhymes of Darryl's, But each and every year we bust Chrsitmas carrols..."-DMC

THE JAWN BEAT OF THE MONTH
http://www.thejawn.com/music/botm1200.ram
Produced by Von P. for the B.C.S.
(the bat sound is a registered trademark of the B.C.S. and is used to mark territory. stealing beats sends you directly to hell.)

The Words - Audible Silence
coming soon to mp3.com

Aja
Charter member
21515 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 04:15 AM

10. "hey, i'll relieve you of those "the last dragon soundtrack" albums"
In response to Reply # 4

just for the pictures of taimak alone

it can't compare to that classic picture of him in his "made in the u.s.a" bikini drawls, but it's close enough

ChanEpic
Charter member
4298 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "RE: be your own man you spineless jellyfish"
In response to Reply # 4

>dont live off of what they
>do punk! now about i
>kick you in the shin?
>how about i jump off
>of a crate of "the
>last dragon soundtrack" albums and
>twist in mid air and
>bite you in the nose
>all before i land on
>the ground? how about i
>do 23 backflips while singing
>the music to "soap" and
>jump back foward and piss
>on the bib of your
>hat? you you like that
>bitch!?!?!

You have got to be kidding me right? I didn't agree with what that cat had to say either but yo... Do you have to get all funky on him/her like that? You see it's this kind of devisivness that has plagued our people for centuries..Just because that person doesn't think like you, doesn't mean he is a punk. As a matter of fact I would like you to figure for yourself who is the bigger punk. The guy who wants some positivity in his life or the guy who has to call others names because he cannot articulate any better than that?
Peace to all of you
Chan Epic

crazydave69
Charter member
396 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 06:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
5. "RE: To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year ..."
In response to Reply # 0

man... what is that??? telling people they should be ashamed of themselves?? besides i don't think they would post it on the site were it herb....

"May the Force Be With You!" OBi-Wan Kenobi

"Solo, im a soloist on a solo list, all live, never on a floppy disk, inca, inca, bottle of ink, paintings of rebellion, drawn up by the thoughts i think." Zack De La Rocha

Crazy
Icq # 20730386

whatthebloodcotwesmokepotandblowspotsyouwannathinktwiceithinknot

bw
Charter member
1668 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 07:39 PM

6. "RE: To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year ..."
In response to Reply # 0

all right, i watched it and i am not sure that it was ?uest. as much as there is argument about role models etc., i would be disappointed if it was. and i am disappointed that it is thought, even though I knew that before.

Damn. Should it matter to me that much? not sure. but nevertheless, ?uest, say it ain't so.

bw
aim: okayplayer47
ben.walker@hiphopcongress.com

--
"You kick my dog, and now it needs operation."

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 07:43 PM

7. "puff puff give!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know about ?uest (not that it matters) but it's no surprise that Thought is a smoker. I'm not a smoker myself...prefer drinking!
---------------------------------------

"I earned what they said I wouldn't
I got it the way they said I couldn't
But now I'm gettin it and thier whole
grill is cookin
Mad cause I'm getting caked out from
my bookings
When ya'll was askin permission I
just stepped up and took it
What!? The kid's better buy my rookie
card now
Cause after this year the price ain't
comin down"
Mos Def (Oh No)

"When I walk into the Lyricist Lounge,
lyricists lounge...
I'm bout to save hip-hop like Ghost
did the Wu...
I remember talkin to Big Poppa; he
said 'Foxxx, you the illest,'"
-Bump Nucks (RNS)

JNOTA
Charter member
1342 posts
Thu Dec-07-00 11:19 PM

8. "who are you to judge them?"
In response to Reply # 0

if you dont like smoking...dont smoke. if you like the music..then listen.
but dont judge another person because they choose to smoke. just because something is illegal doesnt mean that it is "wrong" and just because something is legal doesnt mean that its "right" (remember, slavery was legal)
let them live... be thankful that you even got a peek inside that studio, but dont judge.
peace

----------------------------------------
"we put language in zoos to observe caged thought and toss peanuts and p funk at intellect. and motherfuckers think these are metaphors, i speak what i see, all words and worlds are metaphors of me" -saul williams
----------------------------------------

Venus
Charter member
862 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 02:39 AM

9. "?uest doesn't smoke"
In response to Reply # 0

and that's the truth!

As for Black Thought... no comment.

It's all love like Venus - Malik Yusef

Khalid

Fri Dec-08-00 06:17 AM

11. "who cares if quest smokes weed!!"
In response to Reply # 0

WTF?!?!?!
does he still put out bangin music?
YES
so why are we so concerned with what he does on his OWN PERSONAL time.
if quest does a remix and its hot....yall the first to praise him.
if he's at a jam session smokin a roach yall the first to critique him.
WTF?!?!?!
make ya mind up.
ONE

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 06:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Moron! That's not ?uest!"
In response to Reply # 0

That video is old as fuck...that's Scratch playing the drums. If you want them to be your role models, why don't you hire them for some carreer planning or something. Or borrow their jaws of life so you can get your head out yer ass.

Phil

*******Quote for the day**********
c'mon das like the kernals secret recipe
on every box of kfc -sundasill

!!SOULIGOS!!!

It's all lies, we're fucking Whores.
*Giving you true smut August 23rd to September 22nd*

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 06:19 AM

13. "weed is for the children"
In response to Reply # 0

}>

naw, i'm just playing.

but remember this: artists & athletes are NOT role models

Last night I spent another lonely Christmas Darling, darling, U should've been there Cuz all the ones I dream about U are the one that makes my love shout U see, U are the only one I care 4 Remember the time we swam naked in your father's pool Boy, he was upset that night But boy, was that ever cool Remember that night we played pokeno 4 money And U robbed me blind Remember how U used 2 scream so loud cuz U... U hated that number 9 Hey, I saw your sister skatin’ on the lake this afternoon Good heaven, how she's grown She swoons the boy skaters cuz she's so tall But of all your father's children All your father's children, baby U know U are the finest of them all U are brighter than the northern star and I... Last night I spent another lonely Christmas Darling, darling, U, U should've been there Cuz U see, of all the ones I dream about U are the one that makes my love shout U see, U are the only one I care 4, listen Do U still like banana daiquiris? Boy, we used 2 get so tight Ooh, U used 2 get so horny U made me leave the lights on I’d pay money just 2 see your laughin’ dancin’ silhouette upon the pier Sometimes I think I hear U smiling Sometimes I think U’re here I find myself holdin’ every pillow in the bed U and I used 2 share Last night I spent another lonely Christmas Darling, U should be, U should be there Cuz U see, last night I spent another lonely Christmas Darling, darling, U, U should've been there Cuz U see, of all the ones I dream about U are the one that makes my love shout U see, U are the only one I care 4, yeah My mama used 2 say always trust your lover
But now I guess that only applies 2 her Cuz baby, U promised me Baby, U promised me U'd never leave Then U died on the 25th day of December Oh baby, last night, oh, I spent another lonely, lonely Christmas Darling, baby, U, U should've been there Cuz all the ones I dream about U are the one that makes my love shout U see, U are the only one I care 4, yeah Your father said it was pneumonia Your mother said it was stress But the doctor said U were dead and I... I say it’s senseless Every Christmas night 4 7 years now I drink banana daiquiris till I'm blind As long as I can hear U smiling, baby U won't hear my tears Another lonely Christmas is mine, yeah, mine, yeah Another lonely Christmas is mine Last night, yeah, I spent another lonely, lonely Christmas Darling, darling, U should've been there, yeah Cuz all the ones I dream about U are the one that make my love shout U see, U are the only one I care 4 Another lonely...

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 07:23 AM

14. "Just saw the video....."
In response to Reply # 0

That ain't ?uest.

Looks like Scratch...... but that ain't ?uest.

The dude playing the drums is wearing a hat and is too lightskinned to be ?uest.

Peace!!!!!!

BurbKnight- Founder of T.O.P.A.

Houston OkayPlayer Squad:

BurbKnight, Finesse, k_ysla, Solange, PolarBear, chocolateboywonder a.k.a BrotherBear (on and off), ReignStorm, MeganF (on and off), Ms.B, SoulOne, unohoo, pheen, slimpockets, voodoo1, bc, DELTA1393, foxfoto, SupermanFrom281, copperwings, MrBastard, Madame X, sthngrl

////////////////////////////////////////

"Thank you Houston!!!!!!"- Bahamadia at the Austin OKP tour

///////////////////////////////
AIM: BurbKnight

Okayplayer Directory: http://theblackknight.tripod.com/okayplayer/okayplayer.html

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 08:15 AM

15. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

well. that goes to show you that you can't follow others when it comes to key decisions of your life. you will only wind up dissapointed and let down. trust, i've learned this the hard way. heard records and messages from people only to discover that they aren't what they are cracked up to be. (a fan in kansas almost had to call the ambulance when she discovered that "be healthy" dead prez drinks......--gulp-- beer. i mean she was fit to be tied.

i don't smoke. but that ain't the point. you learn what is right and wrong. 15 or 50. you have a brain......don't put your life in the hands of others.

think. it ain't illegal yet.
-george clinton

december is........

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 08:20 AM

16. "ed zackerly"
In response to Reply # 15

I mean damn...where are mom & dad?

Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

****Animal Planet?************************
Tygereyz67: shockalicious just got AIM
Tygereyz67: shockdiggy
Tygereyz67: IM him
Tygereyz67: harrass his aussie arse
TreisDeuce: he's Australian?
Tygereyz67: yep
TreisDeuce: we have an Australian moderator?
TreisDeuce: oh hell no!
Tygereyz67: yep
TreisDeuce: he could be Paul Hogan...or Yahoo Serious for all we know!
Tygereyz67: or the crocodile hunter
TreisDeuce: krikey!
Tygereyz67: ed zackerly

Native 2
http://www.nativemagazine.com

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 10:02 AM

18. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 15

>heard records and messages from
>people only to discover that
>they aren't what they are
>cracked up to be. >

kamall ibn fareed. my idol. i saw that special on MTV though...

"It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, Mom's cooking chicken and collard greens, Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese, And Santa put gifts under Christmas trees, Decorate the house with lights at night, Snow's on the ground, snow white so bright, In the fireplace is the yule log, Beneath the mistle toe as we drink egg nog, The rhymes you hear are the rhymes of Darryl's, But each and every year we bust Chrsitmas carrols..."-DMC

(the bat sound is a registered trademark of the B.C.S. and is used to mark territory. stealing beats sends you directly to hell.)

coming soon to mp3.com

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Sun Dec-10-00 08:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "what special?? n/m"
In response to Reply # 18

******the sigs to end all sigs******

"You hold my heart like the night does the stars.I love you."

I love you too!!!!

5 Deadly Venom Spitters - No One is Safe
Especially your stupid ass, bee-otch!!!!

Ziad
Charter member
10800 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 09:33 AM

17. "Ain't no spot like a weed spot!"
In response to Reply # 0

Who gives a rats ass what ?uest and Thought do?!? If they smoke herb, so what? I do...it's from the earth, a plant. You pick the buds, dry, and smoke....It's not synthetic like acid, X, or any others...It's not deadly like heroin or caine. So, what's your beef? Your role model has to be a holy man now or somethin? Try looking at the positive that they have done instead of pointing out what seems to be a fault in your eyes. The fact that they smoked an L in a video, if they even did...shouldn't inhibit how you look at them...that's all I'm trying to say here. So...::puff::...try not to...::puff puff::...be so judgemental...::cough cough cough::

Peace,
Ziad

"Become the change you want to see in others" ~Gandhi

"We're all imprisoned, although some of us just have cells with windows" ~Khalil Gibran

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 12:09 PM

21. "LOL!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

>I do...it's from
>the earth, a plant.

So is poison ivy...... sorry, had to be said.

Peace!!!!!!

BurbKnight, Finesse, k_ysla, Solange, PolarBear, chocolateboywonder a.k.a BrotherBear (on and off), ReignStorm, MeganF (on and off), Ms.B, SoulOne, unohoo, pheen, slimpockets, voodoo1, bc, DELTA1393, foxfoto, SupermanFrom281, copperwings, MrBastard, Madame X, sthngrl

Okayplayer Directory: http://theblackknight.tripod.com/okayplayer/okayplayer.html

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 10:38 PM

26. "i just knew that spirit was gonna beat you to that response burb."
In response to Reply # 21

december is........

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 11:18 PM

27. ":-) n/m"
In response to Reply # 26

Peace!!!!!!

copperwings
Member since Nov 21st 2002
41 posts
Mon Dec-11-00 05:11 AM

38. "Burb..."
In response to Reply # 21

You Do Gooder You!!!!! (oh and i'll be checking out max's, it must have changed since the last time i was there...or maybe it's the braids....I know the natural won't work....a straight weave perhaps....????? lol!!!)

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Mon Dec-11-00 05:15 AM

39. "RE: Burb..."
In response to Reply # 38

>maybe it's the braids....I
>know the natural won't work....a
>straight weave perhaps....????? lol!!!)

Now that might be the case....... (NOT EVERYONE) most of the dudes down here ain't feeling naturals on females..... I will give you that. Again, that doesn't apply to everyone.

Peace!!!!!!

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Mon Dec-11-00 05:16 AM

40. "and oh yeah......."
In response to Reply # 38

>You Do Gooder You!!!!!

Love it mayne!!!!!! © DJ DMD

Peace!!!!!!

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 10:44 AM

19. "How Dre 3000 broke my heart."
In response to Reply # 0

Some of ya'll may have read 'bout how Dre has occasionally dipped in the E/mushrooms.

When I first read that, my jaw literally HIT the floor. Now see... Dre is my rhyme hero. I LUV dat dude on the mic.

And coincidentally, he's actually served as inspiration for me abstaining from from some things. Is that sad? Maybe. Is is true? Somewhat.

But should I go get lifted/get drunk/smoke up, just cause Dre does every now and then? Should I stop fighting the good fight? Naw, that'd be wack.

The truth is, I've NEVER really done any of those things. I didn't NOT do them just because of Andre. Did he help make it easier, perhaps giving a little validation to us ascetics? Yup.

But even if he's on some other ish now, I still gotta be me.

I like him cause he can straight FLOW. The fact that he validated some things I've always done (err...not done) just made him even cooler.

"Do You." ---Earl Simmons

Mah top MCs (in no particular order). "We dare you to disagree"

Ras Eminem Common Mos Talib Jay-Z
L Boogie Andre Nas Last Emperor

"Big Boi freestyles, I don't, because I think too much. But I'll write one verse that'll crush your whole album." --Andre Benjamin

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 03:19 PM

23. "how the dixie chicks broke mine"
In response to Reply # 19

at first...all three of them were blonde. and it worked....
but then emily went brunette...and

it just wasn't right

i mean....i looked up to them.... i got in touch w/ the country blonde girl inside of me...

but emily...and her.....BROWN hair....
i
i
i just don't know how i'm going to deal with it.

"psychic white people...if these white folks could have seen all the trouble black folks were going to give them...they would have picked their own cotton" - Paul Mooney

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Sat Dec-09-00 05:45 PM

32. "questlove told me i didnt need drugs to be nice!"
In response to Reply # 19

my boy tip might be one of the x-men but thats just fine! not me! thanks quest! (im being kinda cheezy in a sarcastic way itll be fine)

"i got nigga's that'll kill you and take a cab to jail"-Some cat that was battling shells on Brooklyn public access

coming soon to mp3.com

SheRise

Fri Dec-08-00 12:31 PM

22. "hopes this teachers your young ass a question..."
In response to Reply # 0

dont idolize people you dont know. just because they make good music doesnt mean a damn thing about the person they really are. some of the best musicians are bad people and do bad things (not saying that quest or though are...i dont know if they are or are not and really dont care i just like the music) this not only goes for musicans it goes for sports figures and all other entertainers! how can you look up to someone you dont know. ive never understood that. you look up to someone you know personally...and can honestly know their heart like your parents. a tight battle rhyme and hype kick doesnt make someone a role model!

IM OUT LIKE TROUT.
AIM Carmel3494 say ure okp

krisAnu
Charter member
88 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 05:11 PM

24. "i know how you feel...."
In response to Reply # 0

...i thought my life was over when i first found out that Charles Barkley smoked the ganja...

...i mean he IS my biggest role model and all...

...so now..*puff*..i'm a..*puff**puff*..fuckin weedhead...

p.E.a.C.E,
krisAnu

"sweet love and sunshine, if its all in the air then its all on your mind" - erykah badu

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Sun Dec-10-00 08:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "lol! u crazy n/m"
In response to Reply # 24

******the sigs to end all sigs******

"You hold my heart like the night does the stars.I love you."

I love you too!!!!

5 Deadly Venom Spitters - No One is Safe
Especially your stupid ass, bee-otch!!!!

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Dec-08-00 06:39 PM

25. "meek, it's cool, man"
In response to Reply # 0

You're a young head, you'll discover that much is not what it seems in this world, hip-hop or otherwise.

Take heart. thought smokes, yes indeed, but that shouldn't influence you to do so.

I feel your pain as a young fan. The more you learn about the practicioners of this culture, the more cats you put on a pedestal start looking, well, like ordinary folks (which they are, anyway).

I don't think anyone has seriously repsonded to your concerns (except for maybe Quest). All I'd say to you is, stay on your path.

I'm an emcee and I don't smoke. I gotta admit, I'm always happy to find fellow cats that also don't smoke, but a lot of my Amphibian brethren indulge (or have indulged) in the smoke. You just have to do what you feel is right, regardless of where the majority goes.

My a-alike in Amphibians is a drinker and a smoker and has 4 kids. Lifestyle-wise, we are total opposites, but goddamn if we don't mix like kool-aid, water and sugar in that vocal booth.

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com - if you're
not having sex, you should be there
(it's the next best thing).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Illosophicles

Sat Dec-09-00 08:48 AM

28. "Can not believe you are saying this..."
In response to Reply # 25

What is funny to me is that you pre judge people to such an extent that you don't have respect for what they are about after you find an "error" about them. For one, i believe you needed to think about what you posted before you posted. You could have caused madd controversy. Also, I don't know if you've ever smoked herb, but it is not just what you see on TV. It can (if you have an elevated mind) cause you to see things in this world far beyond your normal sight. I think it is a thing nature produced and why is it wrong to use it. I do understand that it is illegal, but whatever, many thing are illegal but people do it all anyway. That being besides the point, my bad, i was on a tangent. I was never a big smoker before, but over the past year, i have learned to appreciate many things about life. I see the beauty in many more things. Music is my soul food and when I am (for lack of a better word) "lifted" my creativity blossoms into the flower i know it can be. Now my thoughts here are not to just say that it is the reason i am so creative, but it is either a catalyst or a placebo. Anyway, Black Thought is one of my favorite emcees, smoking or not, his talent is almost incomparable, and Brther Question is in my opinion one of the illest producers around...So word to your soul man, be your own man and love yourself enough to make your own decisions about things you do. One love!

p.s., i'm sre i left out a lot of things i wanted to say...actually, i have a philosophy final in 1.5 hours, any more studying will just fall out my right ear..haha...peace out ya'll

Blackberry

Sat Dec-09-00 03:18 PM

29. "RE: To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year ..."
In response to Reply # 0

There is a wonderful line in a Tool song that goes something like this "If you look at music and judge people as to whether or not they have done drugs you might as well throw your music collection out of the window" I mean get real bro.Are you gonna stop listening to Bob Marley because he smoked weed and he was the granddaddy of the splif.DO NOT judge a man unless you have walked in his shoes.Most of the Be-Bop artist from the 30's to the 60's did herion does that make them bad people,NO it just mean's that was the best way they new to deal with their lives at that time.Now get off your #$%&'in soap box and smoke a joint.

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Sat Dec-09-00 04:28 PM

30. "I can understand what you're saying, kinda"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not dissapointed when I heard artists I like do drugs because they are role models, and I could really careless what they do outside of the studio. The thing is, however, I feel that when some given artist needs to get baked in order to do something creative, that they are dissapointing me. Its like I think that they are some truly gifted creative person, and then you find out its all the herb. Think of it this way. Say you took some weird ass modern art painting; it may look strange, and even simple to make, but people respect it because there's some meaning to it. However, what if you learned that the artist simply threw paint at the canvas. That would be dissapointing. Weather you like the painting or not, the process in which it was made, does matter. I guess, if you're gonna go and take your admiration of a given artist to the point of calling them a genius, they should be able to create their art with out being on the drugs. So, I think I know whats meek is talking about, but I desagree with the part about them being role models. You gotta do your own thing. Think of it like this, if you didn't have a job and all you did in your life was make and play music, the that lifestyle is fine, but if you're going to school and trying to grow up, its not.

meekone

Sat Dec-09-00 05:07 PM

31. "RE: To ?uestlove and Black Thought, And how you dissapoint this 15 year ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry about that whole dramtic shit i pulled i was having one of those days, where eveything seems like things go wrong. Thanks to everybody who replied for there input. I just wanted B.Thought to know that his actions, wheter it matters to him or not, will affect the way kids see drugs.
One
-meek

nappyhead earth

Sun Dec-10-00 09:07 AM

35. "Maybe you should have paid more attention..."
In response to Reply # 0

>I would have never
>thought that you guys smoke
>the ish.

peace
I also consider myself a fan of both ? and Thought. I have been a Roots fans since "Distortion to Static." I have basked in the genius of their sound so long that I can tell that Thought rocks the ganj ("I inhale equality/follow me"--how much more could he have said?) In fact, he has subtly told us over the course of the last 3 albums, if you care to really listen to what he is sayin' (I don't have ORGANIX but I bet he says it there somewhere too...). So for this to come as such a huge surprise and dissapointment for you is really your own fault. Now with ?uestlove, that's something else ("...in my Pumas down the avenue/not tokin' on a j/not sippin' on a brew..."--pardon me if I screwed up the words). The point is, the music is the most important element. So what Thought gets high? So what he's so comfortable with that he doesn't mind if the world knows it. He's not sayin' go out and smoke yourself retarted. And even if he did that doesn't mean you have to go and do it. You have something called free will--recognize and exercise that. Mostly everybody on this thread has given you some really good advice. As a young cat you have alot of battles before you; just live your life according to your standards of happiness and don't let what you are fed through tv/magazines/books/technicsoundsystems define that for you.

peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1, deadprez

"...with the painstaking precision
of taggin' with a Magnum on thread
I sowed my own Parable..."--me

nappyhead earth

Sun Dec-10-00 09:07 AM

36. "Maybe you should have paid more attention..."
In response to Reply # 0

>I would have never
>thought that you guys smoke
>the ish.

peace
I also consider myself a fan of both ? and Thought. I have been a Roots fans since "Distortion to Static." I have basked in the genius of their sound so long that I can tell that Thought rocks the ganj ("I inhale equality/follow me"--how much more could he have said?) In fact, he has subtly told us over the course of the last 3 albums, if you care to really listen to what he is sayin' (I don't have ORGANIX but I bet he says it there somewhere too...). So for this to come as such a huge surprise and dissapointment for you is really your own fault. Now with ?uestlove, that's something else ("...in my Pumas down the avenue/not tokin' on a j/not sippin' on a brew..."--pardon me if I screwed up the words). The point is, the music is the most important element. So what Thought gets high? So what he's so comfortable with that he doesn't mind if the world knows it. He's not sayin' go out and smoke yourself retarted. And even if he did that doesn't mean you have to go and do it. You have something called free will--recognize and exercise that. Mostly everybody on this thread has given you some really good advice. As a young cat you have alot of battles before you; just live your life according to your standards of happiness and don't let what you are fed through tv/magazines/books/technicsoundsystems define that for you.

peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1, deadprez

"...with the painstaking precision
of taggin' with a Magnum on thread
I sowed my own Parable..."--me

reality
Charter member
3835 posts
Sun Dec-10-00 02:23 PM

37. "RE: Maybe you should have paid more attention..."
In response to Reply # 36

Exactly my sentiments whatever quest or black thought does is their business and their business only.I mean they are human beings who are we to judge what they do?I think athletes and entertainers should not be held up to different standards then anyone else they are here for entertainment purposes.if you wanna look for role models look at your parents or someone in your immediate circle.Don't get me worng i hear what you are saying but what they do is their business.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20480 Previous topic | Next topic