Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20336

Subject: "d'angelo materialistic?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
the root
Charter member
1380 posts
Sun Jan-14-01 10:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"d'angelo materialistic?"

yo, I love D, soooo much, but I just wanted to bring up a kinda fucoct point. I love Devil's Pie (track 2), it's probably my favorite cut on the album, I like it's message, the beat, whatever. I guess I'm in my inspired college stage during which I want to save the world, and so I like the whole anti-materialism message. But right after that on the next track Red and Meth are sayin "get the money the weed, the hoes, etc...". Just when you get hope that D has the right idea he supports rappers who keep that annoying commercial hip hop mentality flourishing.

"they say you are what you eat, so I strove to eat healthy, my goal in life is not to be rich or wealthy, cuz true wealth comes from good health and wise ways" -Dead Prez

the imperfect is our paradise - wallace stevens

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what can a nigga do?
Jan 15th 2001
u here today too?
Jan 15th 2001
devil's pie
Jan 15th 2001
      it's good stuff..
Jan 15th 2001
That song is a bout a damn stripper
Jan 15th 2001
Not Materialistic At All
Toya
Jan 15th 2001
Is it just me.....
Jan 15th 2001
mean ass, lol
Jan 15th 2001
      I'm not....
Jan 15th 2001
           i'm just kidding Phil
Jan 15th 2001
                Geez....
Jan 15th 2001
                     your guess is as good as mine.
Jan 15th 2001
he said he wasn't perfect
Jan 15th 2001
should have found AZ to hook it up...
Jan 15th 2001
      the root clarifies
Jan 15th 2001
           RE: the root clarifies
Jan 15th 2001
RE: d'angelo materialistic?
Jan 15th 2001
but
Jan 15th 2001
      so
Jan 15th 2001
           no, but it's just a simple question.
Jan 15th 2001
           high expectations but no patience..
ArLa
Jan 15th 2001
                i concur
Jan 15th 2001
           assalism...
Jan 15th 2001
                What r
ArLa
Jan 15th 2001
                     jointalists?
Jan 15th 2001
he doesn't wear clothes.....
Jan 15th 2001
u ain't lyin.
Jan 15th 2001

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 02:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what can a nigga do?"
In response to Reply # 0

we talked about this a while back..someone asked about how D could include meth and redman in L&R when the stuff they were saying was so mysoginistic..all that "fuck 'em, leave 'em get the money ..etc"

i don't fully remember ?uest's response to that but he did mention that he and D felt some uneasiness about what they were saying.. or rather how people would feel about what they were saying. he said they tried it with Q-tip but that Q-tip's rap didn't seem to fit into the song .. anyway, how do we know that's not how D really feels about money and women?

hell, he says himself in devil's pie that he "feels the high of all that i despise" or something like that. so he's not immune from those feelings about getting money and girls and weed and whatever.

i think devil's pie is more anti-overkill than anti-anything else. the song is talking about folks who only value material things; and value it to such a degree that they'll sell their souls for it.
i'll hafta think of something else to go here. jerks.

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 03:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "u here today too?"
In response to Reply # 1

we better be careful or "they'll" be observing MLK's b-day less and less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 03:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "devil's pie"
In response to Reply # 1

what's great about this song is the way that it does not stand on a pulpit o moral authority to denounce the wrongs of society. he readily admits his complicity in the issue: "who am i to justify all the evil in our eye/when i myself feel the high from all that i despise." you get caught up in it... if you were in that position, YOU'D get caught up too, irrespectve of how righteous you might think you are. and that conflict (betwen the flesh & the spirit) is what soul music has always been about. and that's one of the reasons most "coffeehouse soul" is so boring... the artists come off as if they're SO righteous already. there's no conflict... no story.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "it's good stuff.."
In response to Reply # 5

the fact that you can preach something in your music w/out sounding preachy is good shit.
and D doesn't some off like a hypocrite even though he's admitting to being one. he likes drugs, women and wine buuuuut...hmmm .. i forgot what i was gonna say, never mind.

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 03:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That song is a bout a damn stripper"
In response to Reply # 0

which could be considered objectification in an of itself. I believe Meth&Red (NOT D'ANGELO, necessarily) brought an all too real perspective of what many men think about women who choose to shake their ass & tits, get a nukka on hard and take their money. At least that's my take on it.

Ain't saying shyt's right, not condonding it, just offering my point of view. Me personally? I coulda done without the "drop that ass when I'm finished and watch it smoke" references. . .but then again, that's all a lot of those broads expect anyway.

One more thing, I wonder why D' wrote that song about "a beautiful exotic dancer" he was seeing and then let Meth & 'nem come and flip the script like that. Wonder what SHE thought?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toya

Mon Jan-15-01 03:03 AM

4. "Not Materialistic At All"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think D is caught up in that materialistic BS. He never flashes jewelry, cars, and the like-when you see him, he rocks wifebeaters and jeans-nothing fancy. The other point is Meth & Red have their own style-and D invited them to perform on L&R. I don't think the song would have been as good without them, and is one of the best dance cuts from the album! Even though they talkin bout tits and ass-the song has a certain "Erotic" feel to it. I guess I say that because of the video too..........

I don't want him 'cause of what he doin to you-and you dont need em-'cause he 'aint ready!-Ms. Badu

If I needed you to be cooool with my strength, could you do it?-Jill Scott

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 03:52 AM

6. "Is it just me....."
In response to Reply # 0

or am I the only one who doesn't know what the fuck fucoct point means????

Is this person trying to say focal point????

sundasill???

Peace,
Phil

*******Quote for the day**********
"Women are like a rubik's cube, one side is yellow and when you turn it around, it's all different colors and you say....Damn...I thought I had it." - My Boy Nick

!!SOULIGOS!!!

It's all lies, we're fucking Whores.
*Giving you true smut August 23rd to September 22nd*

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:08 AM

7. "mean ass, lol"
In response to Reply # 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 05:25 AM

19. "I'm not...."
In response to Reply # 7

being mean, it's a legitimate question. I'm confused.

What do YOU think it means???

Peace,
Phil

"Women are like a rubik's cube, one side is yellow and when you turn it around, it's all different colors and you say....Damn...I thought I had it." - My Boy Nick

!!SOULIGOS!!!

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:10 AM

21. "i'm just kidding Phil"
In response to Reply # 19

geez. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil
Charter member
6726 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:21 AM

22. "Geez...."
In response to Reply # 21

I wasn't mad! I forgot my sarcasm icon.

I still don't know what it means...did you figure it out yet?

Peace,
Phil

!!SOULIGOS!!!

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:36 AM

23. "your guess is as good as mine."
In response to Reply # 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:18 AM

8. "he said he wasn't perfect"
In response to Reply # 0

WHO AM I
TO TESTIFY OF ALL THE EVIL
IN THIER EYES
WHEN I MYSELF
FEEL THE HIGH
OF ALL THAT I DESPISE.

of course "left and right" was about a night of great sex. and because of scheduling we had to stick with what we had (trust me, their was a whole nother redman rhyme about getting his dick sucked) he changed it about 3 times. after the third time i guess d just felt like meth and red were being meth and red. and for him to censor them was hypocritcal (see above quote). trust we all nagged the shit out of him, including me. simply because the subject matter of d's left and right, wasn't meth and red's.

2001 is scarlet player year. here is my ish list.........

emmc (and all of his surnames)- those dickhead ass "steve" posts.
kaleel- insecure ass motherfucker, scurred of losing his wife to black thought.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:32 AM

9. "should have found AZ to hook it up..."
In response to Reply # 8

that is all:7

FAVORITE VERSE OF THE MONT

nigga, stop being so got damn selfish..put in ya pelvis@ Andre 3000

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

the root
Charter member
1380 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:55 AM

25. "the root clarifies"
In response to Reply # 9

Wass up y'all, thanks for the thoughts. Quest, I feel you as far as not censoring Red and Meth goes, I love their style, their delivery, and even their crazy ass personalities. All I'm sayin is I like some consistency in tone etc...And I do love the fact that D says "who am I to justify, when I myself feel the highs of all that I despise." I feel the same way as D, I think we all do. People are idealistic, but to survive in this world we're gonna have to play the game at least somewhat, and we also will always have shortcomings. Temptation is temptation, I think strip clubs are wrong, but I love em. I don't want to eat meat, but I can't help it sometimes, etc...All I'm sayin is that I don't think they were the best choice for guest appearance. You could have kept that sexy tone, that heated intensity with a rapper who wouldn't have professed the same values as Red and Meth. You coulda had Mos spit some krazy sexy ass verse, or Common, these guys aren't always just about social criticism (i.e. "Oh No). And maybe I'm being too sensitive and uptight, but why do we have to condone statements like "fuck em, leave em...". Is that how we feel? This album has to be a representation of D, even as far as guest appearances go. If I had an album, I would make sure my guest appearances weren't contradictory to my beliefs and wouldn't make women feel exploited. Fucoct, hehe, just means whack, me and my boyz use it, I think it has hebrew origins, my jewish boy explained it to me once.

"they say you are what you eat, so I strove to eat healthy, my goal in life is not to be rich or wealthy, cuz true wealth comes from good health and wise ways" -Dead Prez

the root
Charter member
1380 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 07:04 AM

27. "RE: the root clarifies"
In response to Reply # 25

also, fucoct doesn't work in the context I used it, my bad. D is the best singer around right now. Artists have a responsibility to do more than just get out their emotions. Eminem is the shit, but he can't just escape responsibility be saying, "this is my medium for getting out shit I feel, this is just me, etc..." When you are influential, you must recognize that, whether you like it or not. I don't know why I'm questioning all this shit, I'm as confused about everything as anyone, I still don't like Meth and Red's lyrical content though on that track.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:33 AM

10. "RE: d'angelo materialistic?"
In response to Reply # 0

> Just when you get
>hope that D has the
>right idea he supports rappers
>who keep that annoying commercial
>hip hop mentality flourishing.
>

just when you think the microscopic breakdowns and nuances are over, ....voila!

(coming to an internet negro theatre near you, february 2001)

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:41 AM

11. "but"
In response to Reply # 10

everybody hasn't had a chance to ask these questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:47 AM

13. "so"
In response to Reply # 11

let's just say d'angelo IS materialistic, does that take away from the fact that the author of this post LOVES devil's pie and the album for the most part? and marvin gaye was materialistic, is anybody mad at him?

and is ass and weed a "material" item anyway?

(coming to an internet negro theatre near you, february 2001)

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 04:58 AM

14. "no, but it's just a simple question."
In response to Reply # 13

that's all. I'm sure a question alot of folks were wondering about cuz they are truly intrigued by all things D'Angelo. . .that's undeniable.

BTW, I happen to agree with you. He's not perfect, nor his he the standard by which I live my life - morally, spiritually or ethically. Now musically speaking? That's my shit, no doubt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ArLa

Mon Jan-15-01 05:05 AM

15. "high expectations but no patience.."
In response to Reply # 14

How do you expect a man to act as other than a man, above temptation and be infallible, just 'cause he has 2 dope albums and is an okayplaya?? D' is just a man and they have always been a whole big bundle of contradictions,...........

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 05:14 AM

16. "i concur"
In response to Reply # 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 05:21 AM

17. "assalism..."
In response to Reply # 13

is more of a fleshalistic thing.. but since fleshalistic isn't really a word.. imma use material for now.

i don't think that weedalistic or reeferlistic or ganjalistic is a word either but if you ask me, i think only rastafarians can be ganjalistic.. so D would have to be weedalistic since he's too young to be reeferlistic; that's more for people my parent's age..like if stevie wonder smoked weed, he'd be reeferlistic because he's over 50 you see?

but for white people over 50, they'd be POTalistic cuz they are alwasy calling weed pot, right?..yeah, D is verrry weedalistic since he's from the east coast. now if he were from the west coast like snipp diggity do doggy, he'd be chronicalistic.

ArLa

Mon Jan-15-01 05:23 AM

18. "What r"
In response to Reply # 17

white people under 50? Does it matter whether they b east or west coast?

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 05:29 AM

20. "jointalists?"
In response to Reply # 18

..hippie has-beens are doobielistic. non-rasta west indians are spliffalistic.

soze
Charter member
7147 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:49 AM

24. "he doesn't wear clothes....."
In response to Reply # 0

c'mon! how unmaterialistic is that!?!

soze. - King of all he surveys

**Join the ATL-OKP mailing list**
**Go to http://www.egroups.com/group/OKP-ATL and subscribe**

Shouts to the ATLien(and ATL adopted) OkayPees: T2daP, Zesi, urbgriot, OneLovlie_Ladie, layzboi, WRAY, Chi_Guy, PRWonder, GoldenWon, TheGoldenChild, dirtydee, Negmarron, fatlip, Aja, Science_fiction...... WE READY!

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Mon Jan-15-01 06:56 AM

26. "u ain't lyin."
In response to Reply # 24

in one recent picture i saw he was standing at his keyboard on stage and i swear it looked as if he was totally nude. in fact, the caption read: "is D'Angelo playing his keyboard or massaging his salami." lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20336 Previous topic | Next topic