Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #19432

Subject: "D'angelo played himself" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
SERSEY

Sun Feb-25-01 12:35 PM

"D'angelo played himself"

Am I the only person that thinks D'angelo played himself by attempting to be creative and unique when he decided to call the "how does it feel" jawn, "Untitled (How does it feel)". Honestly, is it really necessary to call the track "Untitled". The idea just comes off as a forced attempt to be different and its pretty transparent. Dont get me wrong, as an artist he reserves the right to title his songs as he sees fit, but in this case it just seems unnecessary and lame. Case in point, SV has their own track called "Untitled" however, in their case the "untitled" label is fitting and appropriate for the following reasons:

1. The guys are not tackling any particular subject matter in their lyrical content.

2. The song has no chorus or hook.

3. It just feels and sounds like one of those songs that was conceived through pure improvisation and spontaneity. (They probably completed the track and said, "hey guys, what do you wanna call this one?"

D'angelo's "Untitled" contains none of the aforementioned elements. Furthermore, the song is a damn Prince remake, which means he had a preconceived, premeditated notion of the song's direction and how it would be executed. So, what posessed him to attach the "Untiled" prefix? Will someone please explain it to me.

In my opinion, the only justifiable excuse for D' making such a HERBTASTIC song title is if Prince's original included the same "Untitled" prefix (In which case, all blame would be removed from D' and placed on Prince)

Thats all,
Gooday

P.S.

Question:
Why does Common insist on making anti-gay remarks and references in his songs when his new style of dress is about as feminine as one can get without being in drag. (See Ghetto Heaven video)
And was I the only one that anticipated a hotter remix than we actually got) Uggrghh, the song and video is just unbearable. Give me your feedback

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: D'angelo played himself
jahlife
Feb 25th 2001
settle down
Feb 25th 2001
SERSEY
Feb 25th 2001
I tell ya...
Feb 26th 2001
'to' vs. 'too'
Feb 25th 2001
Swang
Feb 25th 2001
played?
Feb 25th 2001
      You took the words...
Feb 25th 2001
      EXACTLY N/M
Feb 26th 2001
      THANK YOU!!!
Feb 26th 2001
here's why...
Feb 25th 2001
Feb 25th 2001
Feb 25th 2001
Okay....y'all players be gentle
Feb 25th 2001
RE: Okay....y'all players be gentle
SERSEY
Feb 25th 2001
      RE: LET THE CHUCH SAY
Feb 25th 2001
huh?
Feb 25th 2001
RE: huh? think about this.
Feb 25th 2001
RE: huh?
Feb 26th 2001
How'd ya git to be so funny?
Feb 26th 2001
lmao...
Feb 25th 2001
the reason for the (un)title is
CharlieLinus
Feb 25th 2001
Feb 25th 2001
Bruh to bruh
Feb 25th 2001
Feb 25th 2001
LOL!!!!!!
Feb 25th 2001
CAN THE CHURCH SAY AMEN! N/M
Feb 26th 2001
mem'rieeees LIGHT the corners of my mind...
Feb 25th 2001
Curious???????
Feb 26th 2001
peoke7
Feb 26th 2001
LOL!! n/m
Feb 26th 2001
Feb 26th 2001
Jawn
Feb 26th 2001
about : Erykah.....
Feb 26th 2001
like ALL of my shit is 'untitled'...
Feb 25th 2001
Actually...
Feb 25th 2001
about: herbtastic.
Feb 25th 2001
mosaic for PRES-O-DENT!
Feb 26th 2001
truer words have never been spoken ...
Feb 26th 2001
a pimp slap with eloquence
Michaelangelo
Feb 26th 2001
Straight to no 1 on my okay-quote list!
Feb 26th 2001
my only gripe with this...
Feb 26th 2001
Grocer: do they come any cornier than this?
Feb 26th 2001

jahlife

Sun Feb-25-01 12:44 PM

1. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 0

first off all whya re you dising Common is is a very stylish brotha, ang gays don't mean sh*t to me anyway. Common is my hero, you insulted him,,,you must have nothin but dirt in your heart.....you have no respect for talent,,,,the video, and remix is blazin....so I bun you out seen. D'angelo's song untitled is a very good song...but he played himself out with the raw skin video he did....I I think they over played that video,,,,so now d'angelo has to come up with a new image,,,he exposed to much of him self.....how much is to much....to much is naked,,,he went to far....now people only look at him as a 1 hit wonder,,,,and he needs to experiment with new singing styles and new production styles,,,,cause he's style is gettin a little played out na what me mean..............................

daveyg
Charter member
9336 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "settle down"
In response to Reply # 1

i don't know why, but that's all i gotta say
peace
w/love
dave

here's the "official okayoungins list" if you wanna be on just hit me up(aim davegilbertson/email:the button w/ the lines on it) or contact dj_teddy_bear(dj_teddy_bear@hotmail.com), he's warm and cudly...the OKAYoungins are...

dj_teddy_bear...daveyg...zero...DROots...albinomexican...
illness...okaymattd...HomerILLiad404...okaybrazillian...
mzhotgirl...Essaywhaman...GoldenWon...Preach...HersheyBit...
brown_thought...naame...akweykan...Lyterall...MoJoTaters...
Loryn...Imfntubby...ILLusional...tRoUbLeMnD...smiler...
TotalRequestloveLive...WhiGoStaR...itsmeaight...erjs408...
drFunkenstein...vuduchild...tygris...Afroteck...fLee...Scout...
sugarflyy...Adrenaline...RipRapRoad...SayWhatMan..
Divine Sheba...IlladOLphINS...ICE...

"no matter what claims they make, THEY ALL GET MUSHY!!!!!!!"
teddybear (talking about male genitalia) doesn't he just sound bitter?

in remembrance of simmon

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akw

SERSEY

Sun Feb-25-01 12:59 PM

5. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 1

Are you kidding me? Ive loved common since he was asking to borrow a dollar. However, his current stance is far removed from those days, which is understandable. People grow. BUT!! Dont tell me I have no respect for talent. I dont need to respect talent, I simply acknowledge it. And what I saw in the gheto heaven rmx was a highly anticipated but overrated effort. And yes the man's style of dress is type fly but a massoginist might mistake it for being type gay, which baffles me since Common has proved to us time and again in his rhymes that he dislikes gays.

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
39. "I tell ya..."
In response to Reply # 5

People say some incredibly ignorant things on this message board.

>And yes the man's style
>of dress is type fly
>but a massoginist might mistake
>it for being type gay,
>which baffles me since Common
>has proved to us time
>and again in his rhymes
>that he dislikes gays.

mycrafon
Charter member
216 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "'to' vs. 'too'"
In response to Reply # 1

Jahlife...
I'm not trying to play you but - when describing something in excess or greater than something else, PLEASE USE TOO, not to. I'm going 'to' go crazy having 'to' interpret which one you mean... you use the wrong one way 'too' much. You're not the only one I've seen doing it recently, and I'm not normally the type to get at somebody about misusing English, but sometimes things just go overboard and get pissy instead of the normal annoyance. If it was only once, I wouldn't be saying shit, but you used 'to' 7 times, and 4 of those should have been 'too'. I guess my shitty day is making me call it out... but I've seen 'too' much bullshit for one day.

Not 'to' offend, just 'to' inform.

- Mycrafon -

a FATE is a FEAT waiting to happen, but only if we change our ways of thinking

Swang

Sun Feb-25-01 04:39 PM

16. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree w/ you about the whole skin thing, but "1 hit wonder" and "needs to experiment w/ new production & singing styles"? First of all, this is D's second multi-platinum album so the whole one hit wonder concern doesn't really apply. Also Voodoo has to be one of the most stylistically diverse albums I've heard in years and is a drastic departure from the D we heard in Brown Suger. I don't see why you would think he's stuck on one style/sound. The fact of the matter is that til now, D hasn't put together the kind of albums that have the radio appeal your typical platinum R&B groups do nor has he managed to brand himself as successfully (and I don't know that hes tried), but the music is pretty fucking unbelievable and I think the fact that so many well respected artists jock him the way they do is a testament to that. It's just unfortunate that such a talented individual has managed to stick himself with the label ghetto Prince wannabe with one damn video. Talk to his management about that...

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 05:00 PM

18. "played?"
In response to Reply # 1

how did D'angelo play himself with that video? he had his shirt off! that's it's ....nobody talks that stuff when a female artist exposes far more body parts than D'angelo did in that video. did janet play herself when she did that video where you see her nekkid ass swimming around? no she didn't. people can appreciate that the video was actually pretty good.. and janet was beautiful in it (despite those trifing blue contact lenses she wore)

i bet you liked it.

the ONE TIME a MAN does a video where he APPEARS to be nude causes such a damn furor that i just cannot believe it. NOBODY even raises an eyebrow about the PLETHORA of these ass shaking tittie jiggling videos that are BLATANT and VULGAR in their sexual display.

it's like guys are afraid to admit that the untitled video was actually a good video. it was something new, something that wasn't the typical "watch me pretend to do it to this model in the shower, in the bedroom, in the backyard, in the rain" video. you gotta at least appreciate that.

how'd ya git ta be soo sweet?
i'll ask you quite nicely
why don't ya tell me very kindly..
how'd ya git ta be soo sweeeeeeet?
(mad tv: aired 1/20/01)

"you wear a disguise to look like human guys. but you're not a man, you're a chicken-boo."(animaniacs)

ms_superfreak
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
0 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 05:24 PM

19. "You took the words..."
In response to Reply # 18

right out of my head. When are people gonna stop hatin'.

"nasty, but classy...still."-foxy brown

silver
Charter member
110 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 07:05 AM

29. "EXACTLY N/M"
In response to Reply # 19

couldn't anyone say in itself that D has accomplished what he needed to because after a year later, YALL ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT THAT DAMN VIDEO!!!

As far as remakes go, Artists pay tribute to their idols (or people that have musically influenced them,) ALL THE TIME!

Does that mean they have played themselves also?

What ever his reasons were for naming it "UNTITLED" It still became a hit regardless!

SO, If HE'S GOT THE GOODS,
FUCK IT, FLAUNT IT!!

PEAC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"KNOW THAT I WILL, SHEEEIT THINK I WON'T?" -DANGELO(LEFT & RIGHT)

Check This "http://www.dangelosangels.com"

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more; it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

William Shakes

dreamineyes
Member since Jan 21st 2004
14 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 01:02 PM

35. "THANK YOU!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

and may all the haters take 5 to think about that.

"watch me pretend to do it to this model in the shower, in the bedroom, in the backyard, in the rain" LOL

-------
Why must my arms feel so empty 4 what my heart still holds? -Musiq

U couldn't hang if u was a poster. -Common

-------------------
No I'm not new, my login just expired! that's not right, they're not my friends anymore

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 12:54 PM

3. "here's why..."
In response to Reply # 0

because its ineffably beautiful. Thus, the title "Untitled". Any attempt at labeling would be futile. (Although it ain't as beautiful as the SV variant. That thing makes me wanna cry.)

"Where is the NHK TV Camera? Hello Tokyo!" -- Piston Honda

"Its like a modern day slave trade but only it's mase from de la... and not kunta kinte.. and he's getting paid for it... and it's not picking cotton.. hell.. it's not like a modern day slave trade at all." -- Okayplayer Brainchild in regards to Maseo's EBay DJ lessons.

luvlee2003
Charter member
16524 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 12:57 PM

4. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>D'angelo's "Untitled" contains none of the
>aforementioned elements. Furthermore, the song
>is a damn Prince remake,
>which means he had a
>preconceived, premeditated notion of the
>song's direction and how it
>would be executed. So, what
>posessed him to attach the
>"Untiled" prefix? Will someone please
>explain it to me.
>
>In my opinion, the only justifiable
>excuse for D' making such
>a HERBTASTIC song title is
>if Prince's original included the
>same "Untitled" prefix (In which
>case, all blame would be
>removed from D' and placed
>on Prince)

Untitled wasn't a remake, it was a tribute.

"Don't you know that last night/ turned to daylight/ and a minute, became a day/ last night/ all my troubles/ well they seemed so, so far away/ searching my reflection/ for a glimpse of, another me/ I've got to get away from/ all these high times/ cause these high times/ are killing me" -Jay Kay (Jamiroquai), "High Times"

www.twitter.com/luvlee2003

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 01:10 PM

6. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 0

In the current climate of r/b whatever..D'angelo had to set himself apart from the rest of the pack last year. What pissed me off what they he didn't talk about his music enough, it's his ass that had everyone talking, which was unfortunate.

I listen to a lot of music, and when i heard the record, that shit had me gone. The live shows ( i attended two) only validated Voodoo.

d'genius.

how can a man play himself when he has mastered some 10 to 20+ instruments (i'm guessing)?

i'm beaking out my bootleg right now!

prophetsun
Member since Sep 15th 2002
10 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 01:10 PM

7. "Okay....y'all players be gentle"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm just sitting back...

waiting for the fireworks....

lemme explain.

bammas on this site tend to be....

uh, how should i put this...

uh, they're kinda "sensitive" when it comes to their artists.

and you just spit fire at not 1 but 2 of the favorites.

i just wanna warn you cuz...

these cats are confrontational...

so guard your grill...knuckle up...

-i aint lyin! this sh*t i'm makin up is true!!

SERSEY

Sun Feb-25-01 01:21 PM

8. "RE: Okay....y'all players be gentle"
In response to Reply # 7

Yo i know we go some defensive OkayFans on these boards, but thats why I have to say the those things that cross our minds but are too afraid to say as loyal fans. Dirty job but somebody's gotta post it.

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 01:27 PM

10. "RE: LET THE CHUCH SAY"
In response to Reply # 8

AMEN 'PLAYER.

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 03:22 PM

11. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 0

doesn't re-making something mean that it has to have been made before?

should Suzanne Vega's "tom's diner" have been called "duh duh duh duh duh duh duuuuh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duuuuh duh"?
why?

when you go a museum and you see a painting of a red dot.. and the name of the painting is "untitled" do you ask why the artist didn't name it "red dot"?

any work of art can be called whatever the artist wants it to be called. as long as it makes sense to them, whatever.

as for Com's wardrobe.. I like it.. he looks good and it's funky and refreshing.. and i don't think he's staying up at night worrying about what some other dude thinks of his look. i mean, you all are calling Common's clothes gay? you mean to tell me that these wanna be hoodlum hip hop stars who walk around wearing more fur and jewelry than 20 Jewish grandmothers DON'T look fruity?

i'll ask you quite nicely
why don't ya tell me very kindly..
how'd ya git ta be soo sweeeeeeet?
(mad tv: aired 1/20/01)

"you wear a disguise to look like human guys. but you're not a man, you're a chicken-boo."(animaniacs)

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 03:39 PM

12. "RE: huh? think about this."
In response to Reply # 11

There is a story about Monk taking all the pictures in his house and shewing them on the wall. Turned them upside down, sideways, anyway to annoy his wife to the point that after a couple of weeks, she gave up trying to correct the pictures on the wall.

what's the lesson?

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 12:17 PM

34. "RE: huh?"

>doesn't re-making something mean that it
>has to have been made
>before?

That was exactly what I was thinking? Had me dumbfounded? Then again a lot of things do.

Rotation:
Blackalicious-Nia
Nelly Furtado-Whoa Nelly
U2-The Best Of 1980-1990
Donaly Byrd-Black Byrd
Roy Ayers-Ubiquity
Rasco-Time Waits For No Man

dreamineyes
14 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 01:11 PM

36. "How'd ya git to be so funny?"

:-)
-------

-------------------
No I'm not new, my login just expired! that's not right, they're not my friends anymore

Divine Sheba
Charter member
16971 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 03:47 PM

13. "lmao..."
In response to Reply # 0

...you can't be serious...lol...i thought you were gonna say he dissed your moms or somethin'...lol...get a life...peace

---Real Sheba Quotes---

"Men are said to be good for only 2 things: Sperm and support...well you can go to a bank for sperm and strap on a bra for support so, ha..." - Max "Living Single"

MYRIAM NSALU VITA LUYEYE
Feb. 8, 1959-Jan. 14, 2001
"Everything I do is a monument to you and your memory..."

AIM: AFROdite529

okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.

throwback.

CharlieLinus

Sun Feb-25-01 04:09 PM

14. "the reason for the (un)title is"
In response to Reply # 13

is cos the song was originally a TRIBUTE to Prince - D'angelo said this in quite a few early interviews but people seem to have forgotten it. How does it feel is just a refrain. I mean, Wu-Tang always name songs with titles that dont even get mentioned in the song so does that mean they're herbtastic?

The only way I think D played himself is by not accepting his grammy awards. (If he did then sorry - but I didn't see it on TV) Or doing a performance.

LadyV
Charter member
101 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 04:22 PM

15. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 0

simma down! WTF is your reason for pickin the man apart? What is your reason for coming up in Okayplayer?? Is it for your appreciation for the artists or to dog them out? Who really cares what he names his songs? Or excuse me maybe you should be his consultant and before he writes or "rewrites" a song he should ask you first if the title will be appropriate for your viewing pleasure. Personally i rarely look at the titles of songs esp when i buy an albumn, I just listen to the track and thats that. But i seriously suggest that you should have a little chat with D and maybe he will give you a job on his staff that way we will all be spared from seeing another "Goof" like "untitled" again.
Peace
LadyV

Oh and you are def. out your mind talking bout Commons clothes!!!
Let the man experiment with a diff. style. Not everyone has to be thugged out in their Timbs. standing on the corner in Philly!!

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 04:53 PM

17. "Bruh to bruh"
In response to Reply # 0

I heard bout e'erything now.

That is without a doubt the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

You need to quit smoking that shit.

1Love,
BigPerm

The supa-doopa dj

In the Deck:

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns
Beth Orton - Central Reservation
Dave Hollister - Chicago 85...the Movie
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

It's a dry time for hip hop...

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 06:19 PM

20. "RE: D'angelo played himself"
In response to Reply # 0

Am I the only person that
>thinks D'angelo played himself by
>attempting to be creative and
>unique when he decided to
>call the "how does it
>feel" jawn, "Untitled (How does
>it feel)".

well......yeah? i've not heard anyone cry "artsy fartsy pretentiousness (sic?)" til now. so.......yeah.

Honestly, is it
>really necessary to call the
>track "Untitled". The idea just
>comes off as a forced
>attempt to be different and
>its pretty transparent.

well. we had no title for it for the longest. usualy in the creative process, we have mock names for stuff.

player player- drunk jawn
left and right- tip jawn
the line- womack jawn
send it on- kool and the gang jawn
chicken grease- common jawn
one mo gin- sex jawn
the root- eletric relaxation/charlie hunter jawn
spanish joint- spanish jawn
makin love- lauryn jawn
interlude- pete rock jawn
greatdayinnamornin- george jawn
booty- sesame street
untitled- rae jawn (raepheal)
africa- toybox jawn

Dont get
>me wrong, as an artist
>he reserves the right to
>title his songs as he
>sees fit, but in this
>case it just seems
>unnecessary and lame.

well at the rate where the song was number one on billboard's rnb chart for a number of weeks. and it got named song of the year (rnb) at the grammys. it's a little too late to cry foul.

i mean why did:
-erykah name "buildings after me" ad2000?
-"memories like the corner of my mind" have to be called "the way we were"?
-"why?" was much smarter than "human nature"

why do artists do what they do?

dunno.

Case in
>point, SV has their own
>track called "Untitled" however, in
>their case the "untitled" label
>is fitting and appropriate for
>the following reasons:
>
>1. The guys are not tackling
>any particular subject matter in
> their lyrical
>content.
>
>2. The song has no chorus
>or hook.
>
>3. It just feels and sounds
>like one of those songs
>that was
>conceived through pure improvisation and
>spontaneity. (They probably completed the
>track and said, "hey guys,
>what do you wanna call
>this one?"

point seen.

>D'angelo's "Untitled" contains none of the
>aforementioned elements.

most songs are created through spontanious actions. we fuck around, land on something we dig. and what do you know! a song is born!

Furthermore, the song
>is a damn Prince remake,
>which means he had a
>preconceived, premeditated notion of the
>song's direction and how it
>would be executed.

well, cause it reminds you of prince, should we have called it "princebite"?

on a side note, i wonder how many people would say that of prince's curious "you are my sunshine". a song that sounds like a song that sounds like.....him?

So, what
>posessed him to attach the
>"Untiled" prefix? Will someone please
>explain it to me.

artistic license. there it is. no explanation. i mean the refrain is in the (parenthisis). so i see why there is no argument.

>In my opinion, the only justifiable
>excuse for D' making such
>a HERBTASTIC song title is
>if Prince's original included the
>same "Untitled" prefix (In which
>case, all blame would be
>removed from D' and placed
>on Prince)

now you are losing me.....

>
>Question:
>Why does Common insist on making
>anti-gay remarks and references in
>his songs when his new
>style of dress is about
>as feminine as one can
>get without being in drag.

cause rash ain't rockin clothes that are in a store, they are reason to call him rupaul?

>(See Ghetto Heaven video)
>And was I the only one
>that anticipated a hotter remix
>than we actually got)

nope. i wanted to totally ruin all expectations. gave him some shit that only "faggots" could love.

Uggrghh,
>the song and video is
>just unbearable. Give me your
>feedback

i thinks your opinion sucks. but hey....i got to respect it...

right?

"Jazz is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -wynton marsalis

"Hip Hop is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -?uestlove

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 06:32 PM

21. "LOL!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

>(See Ghetto Heaven video)
>And was I the only one
>that anticipated a hotter remix
>than we actually got)

>nope. i wanted to totally ruin all expectations. gave him some >shit that only "faggots" could love.

That just made my night. Shit had me rollin.

1Love,
BigPerm

The supa-doopa dj

In the Deck:

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns
Beth Orton - Central Reservation
Dave Hollister - Chicago 85...the Movie
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

It's a dry time for hip hop...

silver
Charter member
110 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 07:19 AM

31. "CAN THE CHURCH SAY AMEN! N/M"
In response to Reply # 21

AS ALWAYS FUNNY AS HELL! (LOL)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check This "http://www.dangelosangels.com"

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more; it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

William Shakes

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 07:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "mem'rieeees LIGHT the corners of my mind..."

misty water color'd memmmm'ries
of the way we were

u read what i said & u STILL want more??!!??

Essence_UK
Charter member
926 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 12:55 AM

27. "Curious???????"

>on a side note, i wonder
>how many people would say
>that of prince's curious "you
>are my sunshine". a song
>that sounds like a song
>that sounds like.....him?

- Why it gotta b "curious"?

Admittedly, Prince seems 2 have been paying attention 2 D'Angelo's sound from the evidence of this song. But y'all knew he was listening when he name checked D on "Get Yo Groove On" and both of U on "Undisputed" etc etc.

Can't The Teacher get inspired by his students once in a while?

Mad Love,

E$$ENCE

"Love Prince so much U say Jill Scott I hear Jill Jones"

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/theartistagainknownasprince

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bilal

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/terencetrentdarby

Some Fangroups you may like:

Official site of Bilal:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bilal/

Lynden David hall's only website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lyndendavidhall/

Sly & The Family Stone's group/mailing list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/gr

peoke7

Mon Feb-26-01 09:19 AM

33. "RE: D'angelo played himself"

>regardless, money is right, it should have been called "This is how you imitate Prince, and then cover it up as a dedication or tribute of some sort"...
>Am I the only person that
>
>>thinks D'angelo played himself by
>>attempting to be creative and
>>unique when he decided to
>>call the "how does it
>>feel" jawn, "Untitled (How does
>>it feel)".
>
>
>well......yeah? i've not heard anyone cry
>"artsy fartsy pretentiousness (sic?)" til
>now. so.......yeah.
>
>
>
>
>
> Honestly, is it
>>really necessary to call the
>>track "Untitled". The idea just
>>comes off as a forced
>>attempt to be different and
>>its pretty transparent.
>
>
>well. we had no title for
>it for the longest. usualy
>in the creative process, we
>have mock names for stuff.
>
>
>player player- drunk jawn
>left and right- tip jawn
>the line- womack jawn
>send it on- kool and the
>gang jawn
>chicken grease- common jawn
>one mo gin- sex jawn
>the root- eletric relaxation/charlie hunter jawn
>
>spanish joint- spanish jawn
>makin love- lauryn jawn
>interlude- pete rock jawn
>greatdayinnamornin- george jawn
>booty- sesame street
>untitled- rae jawn (raepheal)
>africa- toybox jawn
>
>
>
>
> Dont get
>>me wrong, as an artist
>>he reserves the right to
>>title his songs as he
>>sees fit, but in this
>>case it just seems
>>unnecessary and lame.
>
>well at the rate where the
>song was number one on
>billboard's rnb chart for a
>number of weeks. and it
>got named song of the
>year (rnb) at the grammys.
>it's a little too late
>to cry foul.
>
>i mean why did:
>-erykah name "buildings after me" ad2000?
>
>-"memories like the corner of my
>mind" have to be called
>"the way we were"?
>-"why?" was much smarter than "human
>nature"
>
>why do artists do what they
>do?
>
>dunno.
>
>
>
>Case in
>>point, SV has their own
>>track called "Untitled" however, in
>>their case the "untitled" label
>>is fitting and appropriate for
>>the following reasons:
>>
>>1. The guys are not tackling
>>any particular subject matter in
>> their lyrical
>>content.
>>
>>2. The song has no chorus
>>or hook.
>>
>>3. It just feels and sounds
>>like one of those songs
>>that was
>>conceived through pure improvisation and
>>spontaneity. (They probably completed the
>>track and said, "hey guys,
>>what do you wanna call
>>this one?"
>
>point seen.
>
>
>
>
>
>>D'angelo's "Untitled" contains none of the
>>aforementioned elements.
>
>most songs are created through spontanious
>actions. we fuck around, land
>on something we dig. and
>what do you know! a
>song is born!
>
>
>Furthermore, the song
>>is a damn Prince remake,
>>which means he had a
>>preconceived, premeditated notion of the
>>song's direction and how it
>>would be executed.
>
>well, cause it reminds you of
>prince, should we have called
>it "princebite"?
>
>on a side note, i wonder
>how many people would say
>that of prince's curious "you
>are my sunshine". a song
>that sounds like a song
>that sounds like.....him?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>So, what
>>posessed him to attach the
>>"Untiled" prefix? Will someone please
>>explain it to me.
>
>artistic license. there it is. no
>explanation. i mean the refrain
>is in the (parenthisis). so
>i see why there is
>no argument.
>
>
>
>
>
>>In my opinion, the only justifiable
>>excuse for D' making such
>>a HERBTASTIC song title is
>>if Prince's original included the
>>same "Untitled" prefix (In which
>>case, all blame would be
>>removed from D' and placed
>>on Prince)
>
>now you are losing me.....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>Question:
>>Why does Common insist on making
>>anti-gay remarks and references in
>>his songs when his new
>>style of dress is about
>>as feminine as one can
>>get without being in drag.
>
>cause rash ain't rockin clothes that
>are in a store, they
>are reason to call him
>rupaul?
>
>
>>(See Ghetto Heaven video)
>>And was I the only one
>>that anticipated a hotter remix
>>than we actually got)
>
>nope. i wanted to totally ruin
>all expectations. gave him some
>shit that only "faggots" could
>love.
>
>
>
>
>
> Uggrghh,
>>the song and video is
>>just unbearable. Give me your
>>feedback
>
>i thinks your opinion sucks. but
>hey....i got to respect it...
>
>
>right?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>"Jazz is heading down because of
>the task of acquiring the
>intellect to further it. The
>refusal to acknowledge the intellect
>required to produce the music
>with each generation gets weaker,
>because you can’t produce people
>with the intellect required to
>defend yourself from the attacks
>of the ignorant." -wynton marsalis
>
>
>"Hip Hop is heading down because
>of the task of acquiring
>the intellect to further it.
>The refusal to acknowledge the
>intellect required to produce the
>music with each generation gets
>weaker, because you can’t produce
>people with the intellect required
>to defend yourself from the
>attacks of the ignorant." -?uestlove
>
>
>

dreamineyes
14 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 01:22 PM

37. "LOL!! n/m"

-------

-------------------

tynie626
Charter member
1860 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "RE: D'angelo played himself"

player player- drunk jawn
left and right- tip jawn
the line- womack jawn
send it on- kool and the gang jawn
chicken grease- common jawn
one mo gin- sex jawn
the root- eletric relaxation/charlie hunter jawn
spanish joint- spanish jawn
makin love- lauryn jawn
interlude- pete rock jawn
greatdayinnamornin- george jawn
booty- sesame street
untitled- rae jawn (raepheal)
africa- toybox jawn

damn.. you know i was thinking that same thng about the "toxbox jawn", "sex jawn", "electric relaxation jawn", and the "drunk jawn".. thanx for letting me know i wasn't the only one who thought of that shyt!

anyhoo... if D wanna call it "untitled" he can because it's his damn song! i don't really care what the song is called. i will listen to it regardless. the only time i need to know the name of a song is when i want to request that jawn, or vote for it on some stupid online poll that really doesn't matter, but i will do it anyway all out of support for D.

anyways, what up silver! my comp is still f** up. im at the internet cafe, so i will have to get at u later.

stay up!
from one D's Angel to another,
peace n chicken grease
oh yeah.. i like Com personal style. i think that shyt is funky!

don't ask questions, just go:
http://www.dsangels.homestead.com/welcome.html

-----Quotes-----

"But I'll wait til i've mastered this, let the others go first so the brothers won't miss"- D'Angelo

"I got a bullet in the chamber, and I'm not afraid of danger/ we've got to go down to the wire/ I'll go through the fire with u..kill and die with u" -D'Angelo

--------
twitter: /tynie626

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 04:30 PM

42. "Jawn"

I guess you would say, "lets do that jawn" and only the philly cats knew which song to play.

fatlip
Charter member
1954 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 05:05 PM

43. "about : Erykah....."

>i mean why did:
>-erykah name "buildings after me" ad2000?

A.D. - Amadou Diallo

i read an article where she said she started thinking what he would say about the state of things if he were still alive and came up with the song......

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 07:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "like ALL of my shit is 'untitled'..."
In response to Reply # 0

i don't really care...cuz ppl call em whatever they want to anyhow..."u know...that piece about ur pussy"..."that one about tupac"..."the one about umm...in it u say..."

so it bein untilted w/the parethesized (how does it feel) is what would've been done to it anyhow even if he decided to name it "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"...u know...that screechin thing he does at the end of the song

u read what i said & u STILL want more??!!??

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 08:03 PM

24. "Actually..."
In response to Reply # 0

Untitled sounds WAY better than How Does It Feel, but eh, what do I know? You are a musical genius...wait? Are you Prince in disguise? If so, my man Jeffleejohnson (not the guitar player) has a message for you in the Lesson forum...

***http://www.NativeMagazine.com : Beware the Ides of March cuz your belief system ain't louder than our sound system...***

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Sun Feb-25-01 08:06 PM

25. "about: herbtastic."
In response to Reply # 0

basically, anyone who utilizes an adjective of criticism that is cornier than the object of criticism is the epitome of that adjective.

|peace.|mosaic|aim:treisdeuce|cruciverbalist|wst.phx|keepitsurreal|
--muddy.angel.syntactics--point.blank.bullettime--sleight.of.hand--

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 12:24 AM

26. "mosaic for PRES-O-DENT!"
In response to Reply # 25

"Jazz is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -wynton marsalis

"Hip Hop is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -?uestlove

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 03:25 AM

28. "truer words have never been spoken ..."

love and respect,
El Rey

NOW GO CHECK OUT MY GROUP'S WEB SITE!: http://www.wemba-music.org

another ill MP3.com debut: http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/1308/1308180.html

http://www.mumia.org FREE MUMIA!
http://www.lpsg-co.org/ FREE LEONARD!

http://www.blackgrrrlrevolution.org
cuz yer either down with the revolution or not ...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Michaelangelo

Mon Feb-26-01 07:18 AM

30. "a pimp slap with eloquence"
In response to Reply # 28

"the Haterade pitcher should be empty by now"

*******and dat's all I got to say bout dat******

dreamineyes
14 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 01:29 PM

38. "Straight to no 1 on my okay-quote list!"

-------

-------------------

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 04:27 PM

41. "my only gripe with this..."

the first part of your statement mitigates the severity of critical potency inherent in said adjective. your statement implies that the original poster embodies a quality that is actually not altogether too bad. a noble effort though, mon ami.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Feb-26-01 07:25 AM

32. "Grocer: do they come any cornier than this?"
In response to Reply # 0

If trouble was money
I swear I'd be a millionaire
If trouble was money
I said I'd buy the whole world
I'd buy the whole world
And have money to spare
Worries worries worries baby
I've got worries on my mind
Worries worries worries baby
I've got worries on my mind

You know times is so hard
I swear I aint gonna tell you no lie
If trouble was money
If trouble was money

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #19432 Previous topic | Next topic