Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #19052

Subject: "commons album new album title" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Fri Mar-02-01 08:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"commons album new album title"

i dont wanna put words in anybodys mouth, but i read somewhere label guy said he was worried about the title...i guess cause its too "nerdy" (aka not plain enough like "resurrection part 2" or "the light: the album")

is the title really gonna be a problems? do any of you think people honestly will be turned off by the titles? sadly i think so....people are way too picky like thats (peep us getting mad over people remaking joints that were s-s-samples in the first places)

overall i hope com gets up there and does really good next time...on some outkast type level of successes.

Vivrant's OKAYOUTKAST LIST
back to life 2001 is hot
i dont have jill scotts album
mamas gun either.
freeway is kinda hot
B.O.B.S. aint no classic!
everybody on welcome to detroit ripped it!
snappin and trappin is one of the best songs on stankonia!
and i dont really like southernplayalistic
i havent heard one song off of organix...and i aint in no rush either!

"too much of anything makes you an addict"-xzibit

The Words - Audible Silence
coming soon to mp3.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: commons album new album title
Quinn
Mar 02nd 2001
okayheckler
Mar 03rd 2001
ONE BIG IF
Mar 02nd 2001
i dig it
Mar 02nd 2001
well we know that ain't true
Mar 03rd 2001
Damn!
Mar 03rd 2001
RE: Damn!
okayheckler
Mar 03rd 2001
      So I ain't the only one.....
Mar 03rd 2001
      RE: Damn!
Mar 03rd 2001
           envelope pushin?
Mar 03rd 2001
                RE: envelope pushin?
Mar 04th 2001
What ever happened to...
Mar 03rd 2001
RE: well we know that ain't true
Krutch
Mar 03rd 2001
hey, speaking of which...
Mar 03rd 2001
RE: well we know that ain't true
Mar 04th 2001
MILES DAVIS of Hip-hop????
Soulful Brotha Max Steele
Mar 03rd 2001
RE: MILES DAVIS of Hip-hop????
Mar 03rd 2001
All i'm saying...
Mar 03rd 2001
that album title...
Mar 03rd 2001
come on...
Mar 06th 2001
it's a horrible album title...
Mar 03rd 2001
I aint wit it...I aint wit it
h_rap_brown
Mar 04th 2001
I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND STUPID BUT WHAT IS THE TITLE ,
dabaddestcat1
Mar 03rd 2001
RE: I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND STUPID BUT WHAT IS THE TITLE ,
avant_garde
Mar 04th 2001
knicksrule
Mar 04th 2001
Forget that...
Mar 04th 2001
RE: Forget that...
Mar 04th 2001
by the way
Mar 04th 2001
RE: by the way
Mar 04th 2001
get a life
Mar 05th 2001
      oh yea
Mar 05th 2001
RE: by the way
Mar 04th 2001
Mar 04th 2001
i cringed @
Mar 04th 2001
iF
Mar 04th 2001
Really though...
Virgil Thadeus
Mar 04th 2001
Contrived much?
Mar 05th 2001
RE: Nervous
Mar 05th 2001
are you serious?
Mar 05th 2001
      RE: naw
Mar 05th 2001
Andre,can-i-borrow-Erykah?
Mar 06th 2001

Quinn

Fri Mar-02-01 09:04 PM

1. "RE: commons album new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

I read that Kweil and Hi-Tek had to change either the "Reflection Eternal" title or name (I'm not sure which one was supposed to be) because it was too "wordy" or "intelligent" and the "people in charge" thought the fans "wouldn't get it". So they must worry about it going over heads.

okayheckler

Sat Mar-03-01 07:56 AM

6. "RE: commons album new album title"
In response to Reply # 1

Rawkus wanted to change it to resemble the black star album title. Thats because Kweli name was known but not Hi-Tek. Rawkus figured that we are all dumb. Like Gangstarr ever had to do "Guru and DJ Premier are Gangstarr." They need to get some people who know something about hip hop working at that label.

::sigh::
what a day
--------------
wanna know what your girlfriend is doing when you're not around?

ooooh let me tell ya!

http://www.trickology.com

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Fri Mar-02-01 09:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "ONE BIG IF"
In response to Reply # 0

With a title like that Common is going to have to bring the Bitches Brew/Next Levet ish.

If the album turns out to be the light pt. II with a very abstract atypical title then i will be dissapointed, but from what ?uest has said about it I'm pretty sure the title will be appropriate to the content, which is just fine by me.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

MicheleQJ
Charter member
5380 posts
Fri Mar-02-01 09:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "i dig it"
In response to Reply # 0

the title--think its fly

im a nerd

http://myspace.com/139003080
http://www.last.fm/user/micheleqj/
http://myspace.com/alluswe
http://myspace.com/fermentedspirits
http://www.last.fm/music/Alluswe

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 02:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "well we know that ain't true"
In response to Reply # 0

ain't like 3 million folks saying put that "Stankonia" shit back...sounds corny.

i admit. i told com that directionwise and the title, he is gonna make this the hardest job i ever had (dude will not stop listening to pink floyd). cause i know imma get the blame if this shit ain't tighter than a 7 year old virgin in a steel straightjacket. and we are going way lower in the experimental realm than "chocolate" did. (for those needing tussin now, be relieved he will do a "hip hop" record next.--whatever that means.)

but it's all good. the four of us have high ass standards. and we will release no dime before it's time.

"Jazz is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -wynton marsalis

"Hip Hop is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -?uestlove

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 07:42 AM

5. "Damn!"
In response to Reply # 4

So Comon is going to put out an extremely experimental?groundbreaking LP and then come right back with what, I'm assuming, will the kind of record everyone expected LWFC to be(ie a more typical hip hop record).

Wow that takes guts. More power to him. I think it is great when an artist just does what they are feeling.

I christen Common the Miles Davis of hip hop.

okayheckler

Sat Mar-03-01 07:59 AM

7. "RE: Damn!"
In response to Reply # 5

what common album was experimental? was there an album i missed?
--------------
wanna know what your girlfriend is doing when you're not around?

ooooh let me tell ya!

http://www.trickology.com

25percenter
Charter member
2161 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 08:25 AM

9. "So I ain't the only one....."
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, I was wonderin that too?!

"Your Silence will not Protect You"
-Audre Lorde

"Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act"
-Marlon Riggs

"My verbal sound bites transfigga bitch niggaz to kings...dismantle th bling bling. Not only lyrical but nappiest/
and as for gay boy interventions in this hip hop tradition, I deliver so consider me the happiest "

-25percenter

D/DC (Deep Dickollective) Rules!!!!!
- my lil brotha

www.reddirt.biz
www.myspace.com/timmwest
www.myspace.com/deepdickollective
www.bravesoulcollective.org

*Diamonds are Coals under Pressure*
-Lorraine Hansberry

*Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act!
- Marlon Riggs

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 08:33 AM

10. "RE: Damn!"
In response to Reply # 7

LWFC pushed the envelope but not as far as it could have,

Return of the Water Babies is going to be (paraphrasing ?uest) on some Air/ Kid A type stuff.

So the new one will be the experimental one

25percenter
Charter member
2161 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 08:46 AM

11. "envelope pushin?"
In response to Reply # 10

I guess I be lookin for more than envelope
big UPS next level rushin out th brown truck
"experimental" to many is "good music" to the next
expedited envelope pushin? sub-contract Fed Ex

LWFC is experimental if you ain't heard Roy Ayers or a DeAngeloian wail behind a underwater bass drum

not for me. A good album... Pushed the envelope, perhaps, in relation to other projects...."ODIAMS"

higher?! take it there. Underwater baby bubble make trouble!!

Out

http://www.deep-dickollective.com

www.reddirt.biz
www.myspace.com/timmwest

-Lorraine Hansberry

- Marlon Riggs

babieboy
Charter member
38 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 01:17 PM

21. "RE: envelope pushin?"
In response to Reply # 11

Repin duece nikel to the fullest.

"Why wait till eventually?"
-BSW

25percenter
Charter member
2161 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 08:22 AM

8. "What ever happened to..."
In response to Reply # 4

feelin good bout your product...even if the masses don't comprendo? Dig the title (yeah I'm a Pink Floyd/Bjork/Mary/Outside/Lewis Taylor/ listenin to abstract ass emcee myself)....though I've had my beef wit Com (not personally...just with some of his hypocritical "rhytiousness"), he's a skilled emcee and I'm proud that he's not being "punked out" (can't believe I just used that phrase) by industry headz who underestimate mass intuition next level ingenuity (somebody gotta take people there in hip hop...everything else continues to get more humdrum....and even mainstream catz and diggin for musikal alterity).

LWFC was "experimental" for some, but not for most of the catz i hang with (who seldom buy any rap that s(w)ells well...with the exception of a "Stankonia" every once and again). Are these peeps seriously worried about Com's dedicated fanz (people who've been listenin since the beginning?) or (new headz? the ones who saw him wit a Erykah's Sesame Street rainbow foot glove and and incense stick and went rendered it alternative "fetish" material?)

"Mama's Gun" (and I don't know how many copies it sold...cuz I normally don't give a fuc about that) is a dope project...lots of young kids i work with didn't feel it like Baduizm, but it's a project to be proud of. I want to feel that my project was dope for the howevermany headz pick it up. Quality over quantity. Why I'll *probably* always be an Indy emcee.

my twenty-five sense,

http://www.deep-dickollective.com

www.reddirt.biz
www.myspace.com/timmwest

-Lorraine Hansberry

- Marlon Riggs

Krutch

Sat Mar-03-01 09:13 AM

12. "RE: well we know that ain't true"
In response to Reply # 4

i just hope that all 7 year olds are virgins...

on a lighter note... common on the pink floyd tip is my idea of a good time!

(((krutch)))(((2001)))

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "hey, speaking of which..."
In response to Reply # 12

**inappropriate joke, read no further if you're easily offended**

what's 7 years old, black and blue, and doesn't like rope?

the virgin tied up in my trunk

(i TOLD you it was inappropriate!!!)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

da8th
Charter member
660 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 12:45 PM

20. "RE: well we know that ain't true"
In response to Reply # 4

>and we are going way
>lower in the experimental realm
>than "chocolate" did.

by this you mean getting darker/deeper or more "outworldly" / other shit type stuff?

"I do the Gritfest dance...." - angieee

Buy this chick's book!! http://www.thebrokediaries.com/indexbk.htm

And peep this while you're at it!! http://www.azrielgroup.com

you wanna holla?

hit me @ AIM: jelani454

j-swigga }>

- dot.|maTic

Check out them Squarebiz kids....

Check out them Squarebiz kids....

"TastyTreats" @ Fluid - 4th &
South between South &
Bainbridge
Saturdays 10-2

**DJ Jazzy Jeff & Pete Rock In
the Sp

Soulful Brotha Max Steele

Sat Mar-03-01 09:56 AM

14. "MILES DAVIS of Hip-hop????"
In response to Reply # 0

Common is a great hip-hop artist with dope lyrics, however, he is NOT the Miles Davis of hip-hop. Do you know what Miles Davis did for jazz? Not only jazz but Music? He created like 4 or 5 different types of music that is artists are living off of. LWFC experimental? Sorry, it was not experimental...maybe experiment to Common b/c he worked with new producers, but "pushing the envelope" in hip-hop...sorry. The Roots, Prince Paul, Dan the Automater, Outkast, even Puffy Daddy, Nas (the Illmatic Nas, not Oochie Wally Nas), Wu-Tang, and more pushed the envelope in hip-hop by doing something different...trying something new...creating a new style...having followers while they lead in their music.

And I cannot think of an artist who we can call the Miles Davis or John Coltrane of hip-hop. Hip-hop may have to wait.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
www.ofthesoul.com--->ARE U SOUL?
Max Steele = Not the Cartoon

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 10:14 AM

15. "RE: MILES DAVIS of Hip-hop????"
In response to Reply # 14

I agree, there is no Miles Davis of hip-hop but I don't think that's what Common is trying to do,(these people are just jumping to conclusions). Probably the artists that is on some ol next shit the most is Andre 3000 (not to forget Big Boi but he's the street side of Outkast). I'm looking foward to Common's new album. I hope he does some new shit. That's what we need, more artists like OutKast and Common who try to elevate hip-hop. Please no more Nelly's or No Limit/Cash Money (I'm really starting to get sick of "underground" hip-hop too!). Any clue on when Common should drop? Oh and that Ochie Wally shit sucks but look out for Stillmatic, I don't think Nas is playing no more!

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 11:40 AM

17. "All i'm saying..."
In response to Reply # 14

is that Common really seems to be challenging himself as an artist, trying things that HE hasnt done before, exploring, that is where i draw the comparison to him and Miles, do i think he has been as influential to hip hop as Miles has jazz/all music of course not.

I just think it is nice to see an artist not settle into one particular style, try to grow, Miles was always growing as an artist and hopefully so will Common and the rest of the okayplayer family.

Do i think there will be an equivalent to Miles in hip hop probably not, I mean how long was Miles career, 50+ years. And now people are already tired of Wu Tang, and how long have they been around?

Common isnt settling into a groove, at leas not yet and i applaud him for that.

RamXL
Charter member
13957 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 11:18 AM

16. "that album title..."
In response to Reply # 0

sounds corny as hell...like it seems he's trying to hard to be *different* I think thats why he's catchin a lot of flack...dress and all.

the reason why stankonia, and kid a are such incredible effin albums, and way outta left field, is cause they seem to not try hard to sound or appear *different*...they just are. I dunno, i hope the album is ill and shit

peace,

r

-i trust myself, i cant fuck myself, when hoes leave and no weed, I still know me, just myself- nas

"shit, been the same since '86 and kane"

standard deviant
Charter member
1206 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:15 AM

41. "come on..."
In response to Reply # 16

you know it is HARD work looking like Andre does...

ILLWILL
Charter member
25041 posts
Sat Mar-03-01 03:01 PM

18. "it's a horrible album title..."
In response to Reply # 0

sorry to say it, but it's true.

and it'll he a hard sell.

the difference between Com and Outkast is that outkast slowly but surely progressed from ATLiens to Stankonia, it wasn't a one album switch (well, southernplaya...to ATLiens was, but ATLiens was a perfect album). From ATLiens to Stankonia, they kept inovating and coming different, so now it's accepted. With Com, his change has been the most drastic just these past two years, so it's still a little odd. Who knows, as long as the album is good, it'll achieve a level of success...but that "water babies go to the petting zoo....remember to pack a lunch" album title is kinda off to me.

..WILL..

Brainfood:
http://geocities.com/junebugs_sister/thoughts.htm

V I V R A N C E (2nd Branch)
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
ILLWILL - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Nickelz45 - Diamond D
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
Phil - The Rza
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"cinnamon roll or apple fritter = BANGIN!!!!"--DJ Teddy Bear grrrrrrrrrr!!!

i'm back...?

h_rap_brown

Sun Mar-04-01 04:55 PM

25. "I aint wit it...I aint wit it"
In response to Reply # 18

Being a Common fan since I first picked up "Take It EZ" on maxi-single cassette, I have to firmly disagree with you. The biggest change that Com has made happened between Resurrection and One Day...mostly spurred by age and pending fatherhood. If you listen to One day and Like Water, the only big difference is the production, the concepts and rhyme schemes are similar. And as far as album titles, the only simple title has had was Resurrection, so that argument about "trying to be different" is moot. I like Kast and I like Comm, but if you look at where they came from, what they looked like when they started, Com has changed less. i don;t think either act has been fraudulent in their pursuit of artistic freedom.

"What makes equality such a difficult business is that we only want it with our superiors."
Henry Becque

"The metaphor is probably the most fertile power possessed by man."
José Ortega y Gasset

One day things will all fall apart...

Furious of RIPSQUAD

dabaddestcat1

Sat Mar-03-01 06:01 PM

19. "I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND STUPID BUT WHAT IS THE TITLE ,"
In response to Reply # 0

I read your post three times and I don't get it all I came up with is that the title is Common's Album but I don't get it

avant_garde

Sun Mar-04-01 04:09 PM

24. "RE: I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND STUPID BUT WHAT IS THE TITLE ,"
In response to Reply # 19

Miles Davis had a cut called "Water Babies"...back in the day.

^ "These simple words can put a pause,
to half of the applause - andre 3000

knicksrule

Sun Mar-04-01 03:51 PM

22. "RE: commons album new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

ok iam officially crazed with excitement over thois album. the thing that did me in was when ?uest said hes gona do a straiight hiphop album after. common is already my favorite i cant wait to hear the shit hes coming up with.
i dont think the title is corny at all. usually when i hear or read something corny i get a queasy feeling in my stomach, not this time.

sig:
birth is the cause of death.

1Mind
Charter member
342 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 04:02 PM

23. "Forget that..."
In response to Reply # 0

...eff an album title, I don't care what he names it, I'll still be in line for it the day it comes out...as long as Com's expansion continues, I will be a supporter...it's true though, some fans get too bent out of shape over the title of an album or an artist's demeanor, pay attention to the music my friends, and what the man has to say, that's what matters...

-1Mind

"...my brain crowded like sunset on a Saturday"
-Talib Kweli, "The Blast"

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 05:10 PM

26. "RE: Forget that..."
In response to Reply # 23

Word! That's the damn truth, eff the album title. The more different the better I think. Common, do whatever the hell you want, flip the album as much as you can. Whenever an artist goes out on a limb, (an artist like you or Kast) they end up making a remarkable work of art and the masterpiece will go down in history for its try to foward music. That's what the hell I'm trying to do with my album (if a mo-fo will give me the chance to make it!) I'm trying to advance music and bring hip-hop to a new height like they great artists do such as Common, Roots and Kast. Peace and Love Com and keep dooinit!

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 06:24 PM

27. "by the way"
In response to Reply # 0

i never said i didnt like the title.

disclaimer: leave off the last s for savings.

NOW THAT IM TOO SWASS FOR OKAYPLAYER....
...i have some confessions to make.

back to life 2001 is hot
mamas gun either.
freeway is kinda nice
"take it to the house" is hot (first verses only)
ray j's joint with the neptunes is hot.
ludacris IS the southern redman.
clue is hip hop
(let me see you get a record deal and still make street tapes)
i havent missed an issue of the source since 1995.
(until now...eff that trick daddy issue)

coming soon to mp3.com

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 08:11 PM

32. "RE: by the way"
In response to Reply # 27

you are obviously on the wrong web page considering the type of muzik you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ray-j??? take it to the house?
B.O..B. (no "S") isn't classic??? what the fuck are you talking about??????????????????????????

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 07:59 AM

35. "get a life"
In response to Reply # 32

bottom line. i been here since the shit sparked off, and i dont know where you live, but where im from theres a such thing as opinion. me liking ray j's song and not wanting to suck mos def's nuts dont have anything to do with me hoping common's album does good despite ignorant people looking at a title and neglecting it.

back to life 2001 is hot
mamas gun either.
freeway is kinda nice
clue is hip hop

coming soon to mp3.com

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 08:06 AM

36. "oh yea"
In response to Reply # 35

B.O.B. (bombs over bagdad) is a classic, but B.O.B.S. (black on both sides) AINT. its a 9.5 but it aint no 10.

back to life 2001 is hot
mamas gun either.
freeway is kinda nice
clue is hip hop

coming soon to mp3.com

Mil
Charter member
33922 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 08:20 PM

33. "RE: by the way"
In response to Reply # 27

>i havent missed an issue of the source since 1995.
>(until now...eff that trick daddy issue)
>

Funny... I've bought one since Tribe broke up... Why the fuck did I try to pick up a new copy of The Source and sprain my wrist? Cause that bitch was too thick... I didnt even open it. I know its all ads.

Pullin yo card and yellin "Gin, muthafucka!!!",

mil.

"Now its... 'I-I-I... I'm sorry', my ASS!"-Mystikal.

Madinat
Member since Aug 12th 2003
0 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 06:27 PM

28. "RE: commons album new album title"
In response to Reply # 0

what exactly is the title of common's new album (unless you're referring to like water for chocolate)

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 06:41 PM

29. "i cringed @"
In response to Reply # 0

"return of the waterbabies...just don't forget to breathe" when i first found out...

i think the bottom line is whether the record lives up to the leap that the title's trying to make and is just one of those definitive-type albums--because really "Songs in the Key of Life" would be borderline corny if: a) it wasn't Stevie Wonder and b) Wonder hadn't made a classic.

i think that an ep of Com over some outside producers' tracks would be a decent idea (i think Label Guy mentioned this as being a possibility...correction?/confirmation?)

|peace.|mosaic|aim:treisdeuce|cruciverbalist|wst.phx|keepitsurreal|
--muddy.angel.syntactics--point.blank.bullettime--sleight.of.hand--

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sun Mar-04-01 07:31 PM

30. "iF"
In response to Reply # 0

"chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavored water" can sell...eff a title...Listeners are too fickle to give a fuck...if the musics classic...=...classic.

but i agree..the title is....ehhh...common

Much love,
Kyle

Celebrating Febuary as black history month..

...like i said u have as
much culture as a bathroom
sponge. ostrich boy, take
u're head out the sand
and step outside the realm
of okayplayer culture and recognize
that there's a whole new
world (c) regina out there.

i apologize for liking other people
that aren't "concious" artists, forgive
me Mr. Jansport 2001....(c)red hot lover

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Virgil Thadeus

Sun Mar-04-01 07:54 PM

31. "Really though..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sometimes I find it to be a little disturbing that people take so seriously the chance of an artists record sales because of the title of the album. If you have been a Common fan for a while or started diggin' him after the "The Light" does it really matter what the title is. Just check for the record when it comes out. Although ?uestlove has dropped some tid bits about the joint, I would most importantly want to hear what Common himself has to say about his new efforts. All I know is I dig the shit Com comes out with. I am waiting until his new shit comes out. I am hyped because he has in my opinion dropeed good shit and has been getting better. Creativity is always questioned until that shit is *certified* genius.

Numerously Yours,

VT formerly Apostle

5 D.V.S.
Spittin' at everybody!
You think I give a fuck?

Numerouscats.com -coming soon!!!

The "N" stands for Nnowledge!!!

"All of my heroes did dope" -Dre 3000 of Outkast

"Nobody beats the ris" -Mason Verger from Hannibal

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 03:53 AM

34. "Contrived much?"
In response to Reply # 0

that shit is just as contrived as aijuswannaesing...i'm not even joking.

please, for the love of all things fly and rock star.....DON'T DO IT!

coffee smell & lilacs in your flame in me
I’m only here for this moment
I know everybody here wants you
I know everybody there thinks she needs you
I’ll be waiting right here just to show you
how our love will blow it all away, yeah - lewis taylor via jeff buckley

Do Not Fuck with Izzus! - some_of_my_best_friends_are_black

HALLELUJAH! FIRE'S POSTS'LL DO YA!!!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 12:49 PM

37. "RE: Nervous"
In response to Reply # 0

"Nervous" was the word I used to describe my feeling when I heard the title. It's not the title that made me nervous, thinking about the musical focus of the album to conceptually match the title is what made me nervous.
To clarify: they can experiment all they want but they've got to have 2 to 3 joints on the album which can be used as "BAIT" to follow up with success gained with "The Light" at radio & video and the exposure with a larger audience. These songs have to have some fundamental aspects necessary to be a hit (i.e. - strong catchy hook, lyrics that audience can identify with, ass-moving track). The worshipped Outkast always does this with "Ms. Jackson" being the most recent example. Hit single = BAIT for the masses which lead to plaques (I know y'all are tired of me posting my Plaqueathoreum Theory). I know Com & MCA liked getting that gold plaque and like the fiends we are, I'm sure we ALL want AT LEAST GOLD.
Next time I'm quoted, get it right.

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 02:13 PM

38. "are you serious?"
In response to Reply # 37

>Next time I'm quoted, get it
>right.

worried instead of nervous....damn my mistake! ive been outta text for this whole post. anyway thats all i wanted to know...i like the title and i been a common fan WAY before mca and okayplayer.com. people make it seem like im dissing common in this post when im not. it was a simple question that got about 30 too much replies.

disclaimer: leave off the last s for savings.

back to life 2001 is hot
mamas gun either.
freeway is kinda nice
clue is hip hop

coming soon to mp3.com

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 04:03 PM

39. "RE: naw"
In response to Reply # 38

Naw bruh, I was trying to make it plain. Nervous is less stressful than worried. Worried is if they don't have 2 or 3 joints for "bait" (which I'd be very suprised if they don't)......cuz folks are still gonna want the plaque.
LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 07:59 AM

40. "Andre,can-i-borrow-Erykah?"
In response to Reply # 0

How come i love the blackwoman
b4 the blackwoman loves herself

Cyber_Soul Renaissance webpage below
http://hometown.aol.com/sundasill2/sundasill.html

She's a Okayplayer
http://www.aishatyler.com

She's a Popstar reject
http://www.shaundaj.com

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

From this point, I vow to

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #19052 Previous topic | Next topic