Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17434

Subject: "?uestlove Produces New Musiq Track!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"?uestlove Produces New Musiq Track!!!"

Oh wait, he already did. It was called the Next Movement.

April Fools.

1Love,
BigPerm

"You funny do, cuz really you think you can do me when you roll a 500 that's really a 320."

In the Deck:

Jay Dee - Welcome 2 Detroit
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Rufus Wainwright - (self titled)
Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain
Nick Drake - Bryter Later
Craig David - (a WACK album, never mind the title)
Stetasonic - In Full Gear
Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps
Ghostface Killah - IRONMAN

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good one nm
Apr 01st 2001
RE: ?uestlove Produces New Musiq Track!!!
dabaddestcat1
Apr 01st 2001
Musiq - is that YOU?!
octogon
Apr 01st 2001
cool down
Apr 01st 2001
wrong..biting is biting
Apr 02nd 2001
      RE: wrong..biting is biting
dabaddestcat1
Apr 07th 2001
Apr 07th 2001
      Two Snaps.
Apr 09th 2001
Apr 09th 2001
           Similar but different...
Apr 09th 2001
LOL...
Apr 01st 2001
I saw that!
Apr 03rd 2001
we spoke yesterday
Apr 02nd 2001
A friend of mine...
Apr 02nd 2001
      well he ain't a soul-ar
Apr 02nd 2001
           Good luck with that.
octogon
Apr 02nd 2001
           well.......judging by his soundscan reports
Apr 07th 2001
                A little confused...
Apr 07th 2001
                lemme guess...
Apr 07th 2001
           how much pull do you got?
Apr 02nd 2001
                RE: how much pull do you got?
vuduchild
Apr 02nd 2001
                uh...
Apr 02nd 2001
                RE: uh...
vuduchild
Apr 02nd 2001
                     ummmm
Apr 02nd 2001
                     His next album?
octogon
Apr 02nd 2001
                          stop!
Apr 03rd 2001
                               It was a joke, money - just relax.
octogon
Apr 03rd 2001
                                    aiight man.
Apr 03rd 2001
                                    oops
Apr 03rd 2001
                                         No beef.
octogon
Apr 03rd 2001
Apr 03rd 2001
dabaddestcat1
Apr 03rd 2001
                scratch that..
Apr 03rd 2001
                Two Snaps again...
Apr 09th 2001
RE: I can't believe i fell for this...
Apr 03rd 2001
Check Musiq live
Apr 03rd 2001
MUSIQ'S PRODUCERS......
Apr 03rd 2001
as far as I know
Apr 03rd 2001
      EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
Apr 03rd 2001
      but really
Apr 04th 2001
      i didnt say that
Apr 05th 2001
EVERYTIME I GET OUT, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 05th 2001
      Well would you look at that...
octogon
Apr 05th 2001
      Lemme clarify
Apr 05th 2001
      slow down.....
Apr 06th 2001
      For a Third time....
Apr 09th 2001
Puhleez
Apr 09th 2001
"And the hating...
DirtyArt
Apr 13th 2001

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good one nm"
In response to Reply # 0

dabaddestcat1

Sun Apr-01-01 04:41 PM

2. "RE: ?uestlove Produces New Musiq Track!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I really can't understand why yall be hatin on Musiq so much . whether or not yall think he is ridin the roots or D dosen't make a diference, I think his shit is good . For a first album he did pretty well and musically he is going in the right direction. And for the record he is selling just as well as or better than most of the Okayplayer artist on here. Me being a part of the artsitic comunity I see this as a classic example of how the artistic community often turns it's nose up to anything and anyone who isn't catering to their every whim. If a musician is making music for musicians and artistic people then he better be ready to starve because they will be the first to turn there back on him or her . And if you are cattering to this group than are you really an artist person, because a true artist does what they want. So what Musiq sampled the roots who the hell are you to play judge and jury. I think what he did was well done and in that one song he was giving props to the people who influenced him . and last but not least the shit sounds good and that's all that matters.

octogon

Sun Apr-01-01 05:08 PM

3. "Musiq - is that YOU?!"
In response to Reply # 2

Don't front - April Fool's, right?

HA HA HA!!! Good one.

Classic.

octogon

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 05:40 PM

4. "cool down"
In response to Reply # 2

It was a joke.

I got nothing against Musiq.

Bruh juswantstaseing.

I can dig it.

1Love,
BigPerm

"You funny do, cuz really you think you can do me when you roll a 500 that's really a 320."

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

mellow
Charter member
1905 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 04:47 PM

15. "wrong..biting is biting"
In response to Reply # 2

sorry, i disagree with you.
I'm not critiquing how good the songs "sound" or his lyrical content, but what irks me is his blatant use of other people's musical composition's. There's a difference between being "inspired" by other artist's works and straight jacking the work and layering some vocals over it.
To be inspired is to appreciate what someone has done, and in turn it can influence you in your music. Taking arrangement ideas, rhythms, lyrical delivery, etc..that's cool. But come on man, straight jacking the exact rhythm, beats, and sounds and looping it is not really cool in my books.
Your not any different than some dj who throws an accapella he likes over instrumental beats he enjoys. That technique is what makes mixtapes so popular and also keeps the clubs hopping.
But to do that shit on the scale of a major release to make money and gain appeal?? that ain't cool.
There was another track musiq also did that really irked me. Before people start pitching a fire to burn me, i don't know if this sample came from somewhere else, but there's a sample musiq used that i know was a track Beck had. I heard that Beck track at least 3 years ago. I can't remember the name of the musiq song or the one that Beck did. Either way, that was another Straight jacking of someone else's work.
Musiq might as well call himself "DJ Musiq" and throw shout-outs throughout all the tracks ala DJ Clue style. 'Cause there's no difference between what musiq does in his tracks than DJ Clue. The only difference is that at least DJ Clue isn't perpetrating like he's an "artist".
I'm not out to dissect Musiq per say. I'm saying this in regards to this reoccurring trend amongst hip-hop & r'n'b artist's regurgitating other people's popular material.
Shit, I totally wasn't cool with Erykah using the Beats from a Dr.Dre track. Thing about that was that dre's track was still fresh in people's minds when she dropped it.
So in regards to musiq, once and for all, call a damn spade a spade. Enough with the "angles" of what/who he is respecting.
I'm not hating on all his tracks, just the ones that are obvious
peace

dabaddestcat1

Sat Apr-07-01 09:16 AM

37. "RE: wrong..biting is biting"
In response to Reply # 15

Hey I agree with you on one point , Musiq is not half as artistic as he likes to put him self off as . The LOve video is a little too much for me . I mean why can't he just sing a song and get it over with . Also I think he is trying to hard to be down with the Artistic folks anyway little does he know that being himself is how he can be down. But still the album is good and he did his best and dosen't deserve half the criticism you folks give him. But then again I guess you leave yourself open for criticism when you decide to call yourself Musiq.

mintybinaca
Charter member
45 posts
Sat Apr-07-01 04:05 PM

41. "RE: wrong..biting is biting"
In response to Reply # 37

I thought I was the only one that thought like that!!lol

Petey Wheatstraw
Charter member
345 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 04:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
42. "Two Snaps."
In response to Reply # 37

******THE 2% NATION LIVES ON!!!*********
Homogenizing the world since 2000
*allow the M.I.L.K. to lead you
When all has been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. --Daryl Dawkins

I ain't runnin, cause I ain't no damn track star! --Richard Pryor

Every negro is a potential black man. --Stokley Carmicheal

When I see green...I be thinkin... --Ghostface Killah

Do you think that's air you're breathing? --Morpheous

It wasn't me. --Shaggy

When I see green...I be thinkin... -Ghostface Killah

Dude...she was all over my crotch -This white dude on Taildaters

Julissa on Oh Drama: So when was the first time you had sex?
Ghostface: I was like...12...

Kaorazen Obsidian Mojo
Charter member
3780 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 04:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
43. "RE: wrong..biting is biting"
In response to Reply # 15

So, you're dissing him for doing something that everybody else has been doing for years? Did you think the Roots were bogus for using the same beat that Schooly D used i5 years ago? Or do you justify them just cuz they are the Roots?

kaorazen@aol.com
AIM, Yahoo IM, & MSN IM:Kaorazen
----------------------------------------
HEY!!! Go and download some Krucible Kulture songs at http://www.rapstation.com/artists/artist.php3?artist_id=9397
HEY!!! Go to http://www.galapagos4.com and buy the Pugslee Adams "Thanx 4 Not Rhyming" and Centric I.E. "In Other Werds" projects, both featuring Kaorazen Obsidian Mojo
Coming Soon!!! Kaorazen is slated to appear on a compilation project featuring various underground artists, including members of the Nacrobats, Galapagos4 fam, and the Living Legends.
http://www.skynary.com/kaorazen
"Yeah, these fools push weight, but I never see 'em pushin' baby carriages
We all got street smarts, but we don't know shit 'bout our heritage
We devote more time to our hustles than we do to our marriages
Too much time gettin' high and drinkin' alcoholic beverages, we chug venom
And girls say they wanna brother wit' a little bit of thug in 'em
Who might end up wit' slugs in 'em, and traces of drugs in 'em"-Kaorazen Obsidian Mojo
http://www.kruciblekulture.com (Coming soon)

------------------------------
Golden Ratio?

EVERWAR.
...in time the universe will bleed...

http://www.facebook.com/kaorazen

mellow
Charter member
1905 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 03:13 PM

47. "Similar but different..."
In response to Reply # 43

I'm not exactly sure which track the roots used schooly d's beat from, but i agree with u in one way, and disagree with you in another.
I agree that alot of artists take from other artist's and rehash shit up, sometimes they make things different or unrecognizable.
Everyone is taking something from someone, no one is free of influences. Everything is borrowed or has "interpolations" of (damn i hate that word..) something. Not much is really unique and fresh.
But what i disagree with u on is on the timing of the "biting".
From your message, you said that the roots sampled a schooly d track from 15 years ago. Sampling is sampling, your right. But musiq is biting tracks that were hot like 2 years ago. that's still fresh..
Schooly D's stuff was dated for that time period. So the Roots rehashing it was more of bringing something from the past they liked and working it in to their steelo. The roots & schooly d have no real link when it comes to production sound or technique.
But for musiq, it's different in my opinion.
why? because when your fucking with somebody's sound and not doing just one track, but basing your whole production style exactly like someone else's, then your no better than the dj scenario i pointed out-- Your just riding your vocals over someone else's instrumentals. And mind you, on musiq's cd, it isn't just one track that has "elements" of someone else's tracks. We're talking about almost the whole cd.
But what comes through over and over again is the sound throughout the whole lp--- same sound & style as the soulquarian's shit.
What would you think when you would hear people biting dj premier's sound. A few years back when primo was at the top of his game, a year or so later, you would see so many styles that emulated his sound and production techniques. Is that cool?? no, not really, because someone like me could spot it a mile away and would lose respect for those guy's who did that shit.
So what? those guys should take pride in cracking primo's formula's and saying "hey, look..i know what primo does and can do the same thing.." ---- big deal.
One thing's for sure, there is no shortage of biters in this world. Not just musically, but in every facet. just those type of individuals who don't get the whole notion of what it is to create and shine your own unique voice --to make your own imprint on who you are so others know what your about.
That to me is the esssence.
Musiq may be the coolest guy around, he definitely can sing, the tracks sound really good. there not cheesy. but all this gets defaulted because he didn't bring it on by creating his own unique sound.
i respect your opinion & see your point, but i still disagree.
peace.

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 06:56 PM

5. "LOL..."
In response to Reply # 0

Did you guys see that commercial from Truth with "the Tobaco Chairman"...He was recalling all the cigarettes until they developed a safe tobaco product...then they was like "April Fools"

---------------------------------------
"Looking Good!"
Chico

Kevin Torres
R.I.P.

Divine Sheba
Charter member
16971 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 09:35 AM

21. "I saw that!"
In response to Reply # 5

I was like "WTF?!? Cancer free cancer sticks???"...then they were like "April Fools"...they got me good on that one...peace...

---Real Sheba Quotes---

"fuck y'all, i'm soulful" (c) Binlahab

"If truth shall be my companion through the FAH-LAAAMES!!!...then so be it..." (c) Jade (Vanessa Williams "Cosby Show")

"Arrest him!! for impersonating a man!" (c) Jade

"...u just can't be any ol kinda way doin any ol kinda thing & be like "RESPECT ME NIGGA...I'M A QUEEN!!!" (c) Morpheme

MYRIAM NSALU VITA LUYEYE
Feb. 8, 1959-Jan. 14, 2001
"Everything I do is a monument to you and your memory..."

AIM: AFROdite529

okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.

throwback.

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 12:45 AM

6. "we spoke yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

we will work.

no punchline.

for real.

april fools!

sike!

we will work.

april fool's again....

ok seriously

we spoke.

i'm stoooopid.

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-life after death
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

khimes
Charter member
3819 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 01:55 AM

7. "A friend of mine..."
In response to Reply # 6

told me on Friday that you guys (the Sooulquarians) were supposed to be producing Musiq's next album, as in he's now a part of the Soulquarian extended family. Is that true, or are you just on good terms with Musiq now?

"It's tough to go to war when you've got pistols and they've got grenades and bombs." - Stephon Marbury after posting 32 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists in a New Jersey loss to Minnesota

TWITTER.com/LuckyRivera
NAKED CONFUSION: Coming Soon

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 09:13 AM

8. "well he ain't a soul-ar"
In response to Reply # 7

but i wouldn't object to a thing like that.

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-life after death
-the infamous
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

octogon

Mon Apr-02-01 09:59 AM

9. "Good luck with that."
In response to Reply # 8

I still haven't forgiven him for..

uh..

oh nevermind. You'd be doing him a HUGE favor.

easy,
octogon

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sat Apr-07-01 09:57 AM

38. "well.......judging by his soundscan reports"
In response to Reply # 9

in about 3 weeks....

he'll be outselling us all...(jill too)

so he'd be doing me a favor.

just kidding.

yesterday i paired my "so called" beef to one person.

it aint music.

and it's none of the "vets" of touch of jazz.

however there is one upstart in that camp, who's sound is too fuckin close for comfort.

i wouldn't be half as upset if he wern't explaining his "sound" to some poor soul

"...thanks man, that's my shit....cause all these other cats are programming their drums all strick. so imma stick out and do offbeat shit....that's my thang!"

i burst into room.

silence.

thought so.

@@@@@
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-life after death
-the infamous
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

khimes
Charter member
3819 posts
Sat Apr-07-01 11:13 AM

39. "A little confused..."
In response to Reply # 38

Are you saying your so-called "beef" is with Musiq the artist, or a certain producer at ATOJ whose sound, compaired to that of the Soulquarians, is a little too close for comfort? Because the reason I don't listen to Musiq is a combination of both arguments. "L Is Gone" sounds like a baaaaaaad version of Brown Sugar (lyrically), and his song "You Be Alright" sounds like it was based on "Send It On" (sonically).

K. HIMES

"It's tough to go to war when you've got pistols and they've got grenades and bombs." - Stephon Marbury after posting 32 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists in a New Jersey loss to Minnesota

TWITTER.com/LuckyRivera
NAKED CONFUSION: Coming Soon

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sat Apr-07-01 12:21 PM

40. "lemme guess..."
In response to Reply # 38

Vidal Davis?

(not expecting you to answer).

I know it was either him or Andre Harris that did the drums on Jill's "It's Love". But whichever it is...

I bet most cats could listen to Aijuswanaseing and figure that shit out.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 10:02 AM

10. "how much pull do you got?"
In response to Reply # 8

i'm talkin' like change his name pull *insertbigassgrinhere*

maybe even just drop the 'soulchild'...eyedon'treeleeknow

Much love,
Kyle

We all know angie's about to be a rock star by way of book, right?
Just helping her on her way.

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me urbancowgirlll@yahoo.com

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

vuduchild

Mon Apr-02-01 10:17 AM

11. "RE: how much pull do you got?"
In response to Reply # 10

>
>maybe even just drop the 'soulchild'...eyedon'treeleeknow

i co-sign. that name is bullshit. i'll admit i own his cd and everything, but i definitely understand ?uest is being the bigger man on this one. rather than slam his ass, try to help the man out. give him some tips. he's got potential, he just needs to kill the ego, realize he's not the soul messiah, and make some decent music. peace, love, and soul!!!
-b

sigs:
COMING ???: BILAL, 1st BORN SECOND!!!!!!!!!

"I am fascinated by the history of our music. Jazz is a whorehouse. The original booty shake." -Bilal

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 12:49 PM

12. "uh..."
In response to Reply # 11

I've seen a couple interviews of him, and he doesn't seem to be on any 'soul messiah' type thing. in fact, he seems very humble. the only possible ego thing is in the name, and apparently his cats from back home gave him the name and it just kind of stuck.

My criticism is just that the album wasn't too great, not bad, not a stellar debut, but mediocre (that and the beat jacking, which probably wasn't his fault). and that's good considering all the crap that gets released now. His next album will probably be pretty damn good IMO.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

vuduchild

Mon Apr-02-01 12:57 PM

13. "RE: uh..."
In response to Reply # 12

he always just seems kinda smug. maybe i'm blowing it out of proportion. ah well. yep, his next album better be reeeeaall damn good! peace, love, and soul!!!
-b

sigs:
COMING ???: BILAL, 1st BORN SECOND!!!!!!!!!

"I am fascinated by the history of our music. Jazz is a whorehouse. The original booty shake." -Bilal

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 02:09 PM

14. "ummmm"
In response to Reply # 13

did either of you see him on BET tonite?

Much love,
Kyle

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me urbancowgirlll@yahoo.com

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

octogon

Mon Apr-02-01 05:26 PM

16. "His next album?"
In response to Reply # 13

Bollocks to his next album!? Musiq's people knew the right people, who knew ?uest's people, and now even ?uest has taken a likening to him. He's nothing other than a Crishawn - with people.

Wait a minute - scratch that. Too much sugar. "Damned the cursed colonel and his chicken that makes me crave it fort-nightly!"

easy,
octogon

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 02:05 AM

17. "stop!"
In response to Reply # 16

Have you met Musiq?

Did he talk about your mama?

Did he steal ya lunch money when you were little?

Where's the hate coming from?

Let's not make assumptions about cats we don't even know.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

octogon

Tue Apr-03-01 05:27 AM

18. "It was a joke, money - just relax."
In response to Reply # 17

Thought the harshness of my statements demonstrated precisely that. Not to mention the disclaimer in the second paragraph.

Aw, fukit. Bite me BigWorm. Just because ?uest has warmed up to Musiq doesn't mean I have to. Don't know nothing about the man, but I HATE his product. YEAH, I SAID IT! HATED IT!? That 'L' song is WACK!? This is the nature of my hatred.

Ya feel me now?

easy,
octogon

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 10:12 AM

23. "aiight man."
In response to Reply # 18

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 10:14 AM

24. "oops"
In response to Reply # 18

hit send too quick.

I meant aiight man: don't wet yourself over it. The last thing we need beef over is Musiq Soulchild. If you don't like him, or the album, or whatever, that's up to you.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

octogon

Tue Apr-03-01 10:25 AM

25. "No beef."
In response to Reply # 24

Just defending myself is all. I wouldn't come back if I didn't care. It's love like that. Coupled with the fact that I indeed drive a 328 (Bob Marley &the Wailers), reading your sig quote just sent the bells a ringin'. Namean?

respect. seen?

easy,
octogon

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
22. "RE: how much pull do you got?"

>
>>
>>maybe even just drop the 'soulchild'...eyedon'treeleeknow
>
>i co-sign. that name is bullshit.
>i'll admit i own his
>cd and everything, but i
>definitely understand ?uest is being
>the bigger man on this
>one. rather than slam his
>ass, try to help the
>man out. give him some
>tips. he's got potential, he
>just needs to kill the
>ego, realize he's not the
>soul messiah, and make some
>decent music. peace, love, and
>soul!!!
>-b

Slam him for what ? Wanting to just.....sing?! And what ego ? Damn, everytime I've seen him he was on the humble. And he never ever said he was a soul messiah. Damn,pass the hateraid.

Silk.
Peace

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

dabaddestcat1

Tue Apr-03-01 02:59 PM

26. "RE: how much pull do you got?"

>
>>
?uest is being
>the bigger man on this
>one. rather than slam his
>ass, try to help the
>man out. give him some
>tips
Yo I'm sure it's not that deep, in that one song he was paying mad respect to the people who influenced him (D. And the Roots). iT's not like he jacked that track like rappers did james brown back in the day, I am sure the roots are getting there far share of that song.

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 06:19 AM

20. "scratch that.."

just change it to MusiQ SoulQuarian when the change happens...cool?

Much love,
Kyle

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

Petey Wheatstraw
Charter member
345 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 04:11 AM

44. "Two Snaps again..."

>i'm talkin' like change his name
>pull *insertbigassgrinhere*
>
>maybe even just drop the 'soulchild'...eyedon'treeleeknow

Puahahahahahahaha...

...okay that's enough now

When all has been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. --Daryl Dawkins

It wasn't me. --Shaggy

MUSE
Charter member
3096 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 05:33 AM

19. "RE: I can't believe i fell for this..."
In response to Reply # 0

2 DAYS AFTER!!!

one love.muse

"Are You Down With DPP?"
===================================
--The Domepome Poets

"Damn-near Poetic Perfection"- Seven

"Everything has a Mover...What moves u?"

"Seek, and you shall find..." - JESUS

~Time should be experienced in Breaths...~ me...

Selah.

=================================
THE BIRTH OF SPOKEN WORD: HIP HOP
=================================

Why hip hop got so damned pregnant she gave birth to spoken word
And that word became hip
And that hip hopped till hip hop transformed and became reborn
Claiming converts from canaan to Babylon

If hip hop was a woman
She would’ve been known as the shorty who snatched KRS-1

==================
SELF_AWARENESS
==================

"There was no mold.... God just freestyled me..." ~Sinsualmind

"Who am I?"

I am the soul that exists beyond time and space
I am the beauty that has no face
I am the divinity that has no gender no nation no race
I am the words that hate can't replace
I

am

MUSE

Speak and it shall manifest
Breathe and it shall live
Love and it shall triumph
Give and it shall never be
lost... ever... - MarcArthur
St. Juste

"not one voice unheard" -
VOICES NYC (Brooklyn, NY)

HALLELU YAHWEH! AMEN

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 03:09 PM

27. "Check Musiq live"
In response to Reply # 0

I was at the Greensboro Badu concert and Musiq live is way better than Musiq's cd. I like most of the cuts on the cd but it seemed a li'more r&b-ish than soulful if that makes any sense. Musiq live is packed wit soul. I never got to see Stevie or Marvin perform, but Musiq says he is following in their footsteps and I think he is doing a good job of it in his performance. He can only get betta workin wit Quest, but dont sleep Jazzy Jeff's camp did a good job on the cd.

applesz
Charter member
270 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 03:23 PM

28. "MUSIQ'S PRODUCERS......"
In response to Reply # 27

But Jazz is not the only producer on the album -

POYSER did 2 tracks & SCRATCH did the intro + "speechless"

From CP:

Musiq actually shines brightest on songs produced by others. James Poyser delivers his faithfully funky organ on the album’s last track "You’re Alright." It immediately conjures up a D’Angelo vibe from Musiq’s vocal stylings to Poyser’s gospel tinged keys. Poyser also coaxes a certain funkiness from the artist on the uptempo track "My Girl."
Human beat-box Scratch, emerging from the legendary Roots crew, tackled production on the album’s intro and the tenth track, "Speechless." Teamed with Roots pal Hub, Scratch melds his vocal scratching and percussion with Musiq’s smooth lyrics. With a definite hip-hop appeal, "Speechless" is one of the album’s only pure head-nodders.

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/113000/mus.musiq.shtml

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 05:13 PM

29. "as far as I know"
In response to Reply # 28

Jazzy Jeff didn't produce any of the tracks on Musiq's album.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

applesz
Charter member
270 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 06:30 PM

30. "EXECUTIVE PRODUCER"
In response to Reply # 29

......touch of jazz studios then, if u want to pick @ lil shit

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 05:31 AM

31. "but really"
In response to Reply # 30

Executive Producer and Producer is about as different a writer and a publisher.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Eleni Mandell - Wishbone
Dub War - Pain

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Apr-05-01 05:08 AM

32. "i didnt say that"
In response to Reply # 29

I said jazzy jeff's camp, which meant the group of people under jazzy jeff.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Apr-05-01 05:17 AM

33. "EVERYTIME I GET OUT, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

Musiq live is
>packed wit soul. I never
>got to see Stevie or
>Marvin perform, but Musiq says
>he is following in their
>footsteps and I think he
>is doing a good job
>of it in his performance.
>

IF U MY SON, HAVE NEVER SEEN MARVIN OR STEVIE LIVE, THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW HE'S DOING A GOOD JOB? i'm not even joking, but you're blaspheming!

FUCK NEO-SOUL! (C) ME

keepers of the funk:
http://www.geocities.com/firefire100

"i'm joining morris' band" - appollonia kotero

albums of the week:
jon b- pleasures u like
shuggie otis - inspiration information
sleepy's theme - the vinyl roomj (revisited)
stevie - songs in the key of life (revisited)
kast -stankonia

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

octogon

Thu Apr-05-01 08:17 AM

34. "Well would you look at that..."
In response to Reply # 33

Fire - I don't think we've EVER been so on the same page before. But to take a step further, ANY comparison of Musiq to Marvin and Stevie is blasphemy.

yes, yes

easy,
octogon

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Apr-05-01 09:56 AM

35. "Lemme clarify"

hmmm...I'm saying that from what I know about Stevie and Marvin through their cds and performance on tape, i was gettin alotta good energy. I think that energy woulda been close to the same if I would've had the opportunity to Stevie and Marvin live. I really think that the heavy criticism that Musiq receives is unjust, b/c he is alot better than most. He may not be on a Stevie or D'Angelo level but I can only play Vodoo so many times. I know it is to each his own and to my own I'm feelin Musiq. I think a blasphemy statement would have to involve Tank or Tyrese, but not Musiq.

Peace

aliSUPREME
Charter member
19 posts
Fri Apr-06-01 03:57 AM

36. "slow down....."
In response to Reply # 35

I cannot even believe this is a subject, but anyway... I see it like this. Musiq is doing good music. And I am comparing it to what I have to listen to on the radio nowadays, @ least 25 songs being played---CONSTANTLY. Its monotonous. So, I cant hate that Brother for the type of music He is promoting. So, when He comes on the radio, be happy. It could be Destiny's Child.Peace

ALi

Petey Wheatstraw
Charter member
345 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 04:18 AM

45. "For a Third time...."

Two Snaps.

> Musiq live is
>>packed wit soul. I never
>>got to see Stevie or
>>Marvin perform, but Musiq says
>>he is following in their
>>footsteps and I think he
>>is doing a good job
>>of it in his performance.
>>
>
>IF U MY SON, HAVE NEVER
>SEEN MARVIN OR STEVIE LIVE,
>THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW
>HE'S DOING A GOOD JOB?
> i'm not even
>joking, but you're blaspheming!
>
I was just thinkin' the same thing. Oh well, who said it had to make sense?

It wasn't me. --Shaggy

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 07:25 AM

46. "Puhleez"
In response to Reply # 0

>Oh wait, he already did. It
>was called the Next Movement.
>

In that case....

Schooly D produces for the Roots! (Without A Doubt/Saturday Night)

BDP produces for Blackstar! (Respiration/P is Free)

The Hitmen produce for Mos Def! (Brooklyn/Who Shot Ya)

If you guys are gonna get mad about jackin' at least be objective.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

DirtyArt

Fri Apr-13-01 06:24 AM

48. ""And the hating..."
In response to Reply # 0

continues"

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17434 Previous topic | Next topic