Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17310

Subject: "Britney Spears & Spooks" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
TurnstyleHopper
Charter member
306 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Britney Spears & Spooks"

Hahahahahaha!!! I'm sorry y'all, but I just flipped to Mtv and they were playing a re-run of today's TRL. This girl was asking B.Spears some questions...

Girl: "What five albums do you think everyone should own?"

Spears (acting as if she is critically tuned-in): "Well, Lenny Kravitz...um hehe, Sade...hehe, OutKast, and...oh...I just got this new CD the Skoops."

No, I didn't mispell Spooks; yes, she fucked it up. (Who else could she be referring to?) Anyway, thought my okayplayers would get a kick out of evereyone's favorite pop-star making a booboo about okayartists.

Peace

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
skoops? lol
Apr 11th 2001
the scoops?
Apr 11th 2001
RE: Britney Spears & Spooks
Apr 13th 2001
Apr 14th 2001
tru
kyleeeezzzeee
Apr 21st 2001
haters?
Apr 14th 2001
RE: haters?
Apr 14th 2001
      okayartist???
Apr 14th 2001
      RE: okayartist???
Apr 14th 2001
Apr 14th 2001
Apr 22nd 2001
livefrom215
Apr 22nd 2001
Apr 22nd 2001
Apr 22nd 2001
Apr 22nd 2001
      not everyone can do it!
Apr 15th 2001
      RE: not everyone can do it!
Apr 22nd 2001
      RE: haters?
livefrom215
Apr 22nd 2001
Apr 14th 2001
hey, down here!
Apr 21st 2001
huh?
Apr 22nd 2001
DJ Decepticon
Apr 22nd 2001
Britney Spears is a whore
jahlife
Apr 22nd 2001
RE: Britney Spears is a whore
amujnod
Apr 22nd 2001
amujnod
Apr 22nd 2001

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "skoops? lol"
In response to Reply # 0

she prolly don't even own that shit.. must have heard somebody talking about it and thought it would make her look cool to say she has it.
i was boooorrrrn to love u
i was boooorrrrn to lick your face
i was boooorrrrn to rub u
but u were born to rub me 1st
(c) Chevy Chase in Caddyshack

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 03:40 PM

2. "the scoops?"
In response to Reply # 1

nigga, the scoops are the 32 flavors of baskin robbins.

Arnold:
http://members.nbci.com/ogando/jail.ra
"This Means You and Copa Cabanga remix"
http://members.nbci.com/ogando/remix.ra

jose3030@acuradriver.com

emeyesi
Charter member
10914 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 07:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Britney Spears & Spooks"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah I caught that shit and was rolling! It's all good though, maybe she'll have em open up for her!

NEW ENGLAND PLAYERS UNITE!!!

http://groups.aol.com/neokayplayers

EMAIL ME @ emeyesi@aol.com

.imageyenation.dot.com.

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 08:38 AM

4. "RE: Britney Spears & Spooks"
In response to Reply # 0

Did she actually only mention four albums, despite being asked to recommend five? If she did, I think it would be really funny that she can neither read nor count.

pretend to be cats don't seem to know they limitations
exact replication and false representation

kyleeeezzzeee

Sat Apr-21-01 06:09 PM

12. "tru"
In response to Reply # 4

Yes that's a positive. Only four out of five were listed.

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "haters?"
In response to Reply # 0

how do you know she doesn't really like all that shit? people who make wack music can like good shit.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality*

* new name. debut single dropping in summer even if it kills me

COMICS ARTIST NEEDED!!!!!!!! INBOX ME!!!!!

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux -
Just listen, you will believe...

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)

"Smack it up, Flip It, Rub It Down.. OH NOOOO!! - This always intrigued me. What horrible catastrophe was caused by rubbing it down? If he just stopped after flipping it could this tragedy have been avoided?" - jsmooth995, LOL of the month

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 10:45 AM

6. "RE: haters?"
In response to Reply # 5

What you said is definitely true, but it kind of makes things sadder in my opinion. It's one thing if she digs bubble-gum pop the way we dig hip-hop. I mean, if that's what she loves, and she makes music that sounds like that as a result, that's cool. If she listens to really good shit, whatever genre it may be, then gets up on stage and performs shit because it's profitable, I don't know, that just sounds lamer to me.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 11:01 AM

7. "okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 6

this may seem like a dumb ass question but......are the spooks okayartists? Last time i checked it was the roots, d, com, jill, jazzies, dilated, and reflection. Are the spooks part of that list? I would hope not cause i dont think that there on the same level as the previously mentioned artists.

one.

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 11:19 AM

8. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 7

you defintiely make a point. They were only a featured artist, though, so they would fall into the same category as jill scott, flo brown, toshi kubota, etc. I guess they're part of the camp but not official members, whatever that means.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 12:34 PM

10. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah, it just kind of bothered me to see that post because i know that the spooks arent really down with the roots or other okayartists, yet a lot of spooks fans on this site seem to throw them in that same category of rap, and same category of excellence. To be honest with you, i hate the spooks (their mc's are wack as hell) and it bothers me to see them viewed as "okayartists".

peace.

Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 08:49 AM

16. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 10

I apologize for this...but.....You say that the Spook's mc's are wack? C'mon man...they wouldn't let em be an okayartist feature if they wasn't dope. They are on point without a doubt. I'm not sayin your opinion is bad...I jus wanted to stick my two cents in on that one! Much love though.........But...the Spooks is phat man! Aight.........

Peace

------------------------------

'I walk the fine line between bein ill and bein sick...an you walk a fine line between bein bein a pussy an bein a bitch'

livefrom215

Sun Apr-22-01 09:26 AM

18. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 16

Actually, I think the Spook s are pwretty good myself, but maybe not on the same level as say the Roots. But each of the Ok Artists seem to bring something different. Also, to say The Spooks arent in the same category of rap as Roots, well what about D' or Jazzie. Theyre not rap at all. Talib n Hitek and Dialated are other rappers. Anyway the point is Spooks I dont think are exactly on the same level lyrically, as their mcs out of 4 thy're are only two who sound the same and sometimes it works but other times not. Musically they are most of the time on pont. The lady, of course, is a standout. Overall I think they're a 3 out of 5 star group.

Oh and Jill Scott aint on the list. Its been like that for awile now, where have u been??

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 11:48 AM

22. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 18

yeah, i effed up with jill, my bad.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 11:47 AM

21. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 16

ya, i stand by my feeling on the spooks, but if u like em, thats your opinion, whatever floats your boat. im not sure just because theyre featured artists necessarily means that they are "dope". I think that theres a lot of monetary issues behind becoming a "featured artist". Obviously, its really good exposure and publicity. But also, taking a look at some of the other featured artists, namely Avant, and the artists from the Romeo Must Die Sdtk. (aaliyah, dmx, etc.), i dont think they necessarily bring the same type of element that the real okay artists do, so i dont think that being a featured artists automatically qualifies you as anything. Feel me?

one.

Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 12:26 PM

25. "RE: okayartist???"
In response to Reply # 21

yea my man...I feel you indefinitely...but that's what separates the Spooks....sure they ain't Roots...but..they've got their own sound and style...that's what makes em unique you know. It ain't the same ol master P cash money bullshit...or whatever you wanna call the commercial nonsense. And I feel what you sayin about jus cause they are the featured artist doesn't necessarily mean anything, but, the way I see it is that if they wasn't dope, why would okayplayer want them as their featured artist? I certainly wouldn't want somebody wack that I'm supportin on my website in the same area as the Roots and Kweli and all of em! You know what I'm sayin...they got skills....like we both said...that's my opinion...jus tryin to show somebody my side on the story so everybody understands......it's all love!!!

Peace

"..yo....you softer than pink cashmere....jus catchin up wit rhymes that i fuckin dropped last year......" -Talib Kweli

------------------------------

'I walk the fine line between bein ill and bein sick...an you walk a fine line between bein bein a pussy an bein a bitch'

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sun Apr-15-01 12:45 AM

11. "not everyone can do it!"
In response to Reply # 6

she may want to make better music but lacks the talent!

in fact, in her mind, she may think she is as tight as the people she listens to, not knowing her shit is weak!

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality*

* new name. debut single dropping in summer even if it kills me

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)

"Smack it up, Flip It, Rub It Down.. OH NOOOO!! - This always intrigued me. What horrible catastrophe was caused by rubbing it down? If he just stopped after flipping it could this tragedy have been avoided?" - jsmooth995, LOL of the month

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 11:08 AM

20. "RE: not everyone can do it!"
In response to Reply # 11

maybe she realizes that acting like a worthless slut can give her a life most people can only imagine, and enough money to last several lifetimes, and she figures she's not hurting anyone, so go for it. I mean, for all the people on these boards (and I'm not trying to pick on anyone, I'm one too) who sit around posting about how we like good music, I wonder how many would take that cheddar and make bubble gum pop if we had the opportunity? Just a thought.

livefrom215

Sun Apr-22-01 09:13 AM

17. "RE: haters?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yo, Actually has anyone ever even considerd the fact dat she actually is being controlled by the recording company and label for which she works for. I mean come on she starts when shes like 16 or 17 with "One more Time" or whatever the hell her first album was, and since its HUGE success, she has pretty much did the same thing over with the "Oops" album.

Seriously though, whether she was tellin' da truth or not she is actually in the positon of either performing for the people and the label or out of job, unless ofcourse she becomes a movie star, but I won't go into that!

"my uncle and I both had problems, he never confronted his
" -Common- LWFC

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 11:20 AM

9. "RE: Britney Spears & Spooks"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it possible there is an actual group called the scoops? or do you know for sure somehow she was talking about the spooks.

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sat Apr-21-01 06:59 PM

13. "hey, down here!"
In response to Reply # 0

what do you expect from a pop queen from new orleans?

she has enough silicon to make her own mardi gras float.

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 12:22 AM

14. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 13

Is she really from New Orleans? I thought she was from some small town in Louisiana, not the Big Easy.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

"In the first forty years of the twentieth century, about half of all
blacks who were killed, were killed by law enforcement." - Tim Wise, shocking statistic of the moment

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

DJ Decepticon

Sun Apr-22-01 08:36 AM

15. "RE: Britney Spears & Spooks"
In response to Reply # 0

Hahah I laughed my ass off when I read this post, unfourtunatly I'm Canadian and don't get MTV, so I missed out .
My opinion on Britney Spears in that she's a body and voice whored out by her record company. No mind or soul!! Probably one of Britney's trendy representatives told her to menion the Spooks if she got asked who her favorite musicians were. Britney could'nt answer this on her own because she doesn't know what music is!!!

P.S. Briney not begin able to count or speak LOL!!!!

jahlife

Sun Apr-22-01 09:49 AM

19. "Britney Spears is a whore"
In response to Reply # 0

wow wow i think this whole thing make me think about music, and where music is going, and as far as i can see not to far. :'(
I mean it's pretty funny. What does all this mean anyway. Does this mean that pop artist do have a soul. Or are they just lost in a turbine of bull shit. Well shit I don't know, but all I know is the Spooks, Sade, Outkast are dope. Fa shizzy baby.

BUT I HAVE A BIGGER QUESTION FOR YOU HOW WOULD YOU REACT IF BRITNEY SPEARS AND ERYKAH BADU DID A SONG. TRY NOT TO LAUGH OR CRY LOL......NOW THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO SEE. LATAER.

JAH BLESS.

amujnod

Sun Apr-22-01 11:53 AM

23. "RE: Britney Spears is a whore"
In response to Reply # 19

>BUT I HAVE A BIGGER QUESTION FOR YOU HOW WOULD YOU REACT IF
>BRITNEY SPEARS AND ERYKAH BADU DID A SONG. TRY NOT TO LAUGH OR
> CRY LOL......NOW THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO SEE. LATAER.

Is the question, how would we react to Erykah or Britney?

amujnod

Sun Apr-22-01 12:09 PM

24. "RE: Britney Spears & Spooks"
In response to Reply # 0

A PBS program called "Frontline" has an episode called "The Merchants of Cool" which talks about how artists like Briteny Spears get created, and why. The show is going to be rebroadcast on May 1, 2001. I saw the original broadcast, it was a very good show. They have a website concerning the episode and transcripts if anyone is interested.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17310 Previous topic | Next topic