Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17272

Subject: "Common's religion is........" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Common's religion is........"

...ugh, ?uestlove, may I have a DRUM-ROLL Please!?...

http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/comreligion.rm&proto=rtsp

I was gonna try and summerize what the man said, but it's best that you hear it in his own words. We were in the back of a tour bus when he answered the question, so if his voice isn't quite clear enough (or you've been under a rock and don't have Real Player), this is how the convo went.

B.Kyle : Are you Muslim?

Common : Naw... I studied it. I’m not Muslim, I just believe in God, I believe in the Supreme being. I call God ‘Allah’ which I choose to do. I definitely read the Quran, I’m trying to understand it and learn it. But I also read the Bible, I read books on Budism. You know… I just believe in the Supreme being… a higher force. Pay homage to the higher force. But, if you go by the Muslim definition “one who submits to God” than I am one. I try to submit to God.

--So there ya have it!

hmmm... seems like even after this 'explanation', we're STILL wondering just what religion he is???
I feel that some okayplayers are gonna go from curiosity to confusion. We'll see.

Brian 'B.Kyle' A.

"Reality is friskin' me, this industry will make you lose intensity!" ~ Common

"Way more necessary skills for the application... My facts more than make up for what you have in imagination" ~ Talib Kweli

"My roots extend the bedrock. I stay grounded. Perfect balance, I've found it" ~ Talib Kweli

"I'm straight gutter... up-in-that ass foot-putter..." ~ Black Thought (http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/footputra.ra&proto=rtsp)

4 months before the album came out... I was told one song may not make it. Now 10 months later...
http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/africadream.rm

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I just think that means
Apr 11th 2001
Sounds Like He's. . .
Apr 11th 2001
no, common i believe...
Apr 11th 2001
Reading is fundamental
Apr 11th 2001
      chops herself.....
Apr 11th 2001
RE: who cares n/m
Apr 11th 2001
amazing behind the scene coverage!!!
Apr 11th 2001
unitarian
Apr 11th 2001
RE: Common's religion is........
naimadoner
Apr 11th 2001
Apr 11th 2001
naimadoner
Apr 11th 2001
put that HU edulacation to work boy!!!...
Apr 11th 2001
jm760
Apr 11th 2001
jm760
Apr 11th 2001
Heat (#2)
Apr 13th 2001
it is the kufi y'all
Apr 11th 2001
Common is the devil!
Apr 12th 2001
Religion
Apr 12th 2001
RE: Religion
Apr 13th 2001
RE: Religion
Apr 17th 2001
knicksrule
Apr 12th 2001
Man...Com.....(sigh)
Iesa
Apr 13th 2001
RE: Man...Com.....(sigh)
Apr 14th 2001
oh yeah.
Iesa
Apr 13th 2001
Dang bro!
Apr 13th 2001
RE: Dang bro!
Apr 17th 2001
judgemental much??
Apr 14th 2001
      RE: judgemental much??
Iesa
Apr 14th 2001
           OH really...
Apr 17th 2001
                RE: OH really...
Iesa
Apr 18th 2001
Apr 13th 2001
i also study that religion...
Apr 14th 2001
Apr 16th 2001
just playing devil's advocate here...
Apr 16th 2001
      wagwan
Iesa
Apr 17th 2001
I thought he was clear on G.O.D...
Apr 17th 2001
musiq
soulprincess
Apr 23rd 2001

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I just think that means"
In response to Reply # 0

picks and chooses from religions. Spiritualtiy. That's my take.

I think, I can't actually say those were coherant sentances, I mean dude was trying to sleep.

Evolutionism has brought me peace - L_O_Quent

FUCK THE POLICE - N.W.A

I want to cook you a soup that warms your soul - Sade

Buy Angieee's book because her cats need the money they have been surviving off of church donated "slightly" damaged dog food. So buy the book. http://www.thebrokediaries.com/ - L_O_Quent

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

Halo
Charter member
248 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Sounds Like He's. . ."
In response to Reply # 1

. . .he's spiritual, which is alot more than alot of people can say for themselves. It's good to see free realm of thought, because when he finally focuses in on his path to the "Supreme Being" he will be true to his convictions since he's studied what his convictions AREN'T as well.

Peace.

~Halo

http://www.conceptlive.com (Coming Soon)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convention, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. . ." -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

". . .Picked up a fallen angel on the path that I MC,
familiar voice, come to find out the angel was me. . ." -Common

-----
imagine. conceive. embrace.
www.coldfingersolutions.com

. . .get touched

mika_muyo
Charter member
21389 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 09:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "no, common i believe..."
In response to Reply # 0

is studying the five percent nation or he's studying in mecca...i heard he was at show n prove but im not sure...erykah badu is down the nation of Gods and Earths and im seeing it rub off on him. They have the highest population of Gods there...i dont know, the person im learning mathematics from *long story* says that a lot of cats are starting to study there...wu tang etc etc what not has been throwing mathematics into their steez for a while...but i have no actual facts because i havent built wit him like that. othawise i dont know....
dont quote me or any ish like that...
peace lol
Mik

****http://members.blackplanet.com/mika_mik/****
my page is always being built...

'it is never wrong to ask a question, it is always wrong to be ignorant'-The Great fortune Cooky

'i dont get many compliments/but i am confident' Talib Kweli

'i dont think im down for that...'-Mika Peaces

'i rather die with my dignity before i bow to my enemy'-Fred Hampton Jr.

'some people try to front like 'i aint feelin it really'/but thatz silly cuz how the fuck you cant feel me...' BT

Okayplayer:yes...we AREEEEE a cult lol

It was like, I aint know whether to clap or be offended, so i clapped with a frown...- Geah

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 11:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Reading is fundamental"
In response to Reply # 3

Ummmm, the guy who posted this thread (BKyle) got this info from Common himself, listen to the real audio link.

"I used to get high on life, but I developed a tolerance."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

mika_muyo
Charter member
21389 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "chops herself....."
In response to Reply # 4

i thought it was a link for something else *continually chops herself*
peace

****http://members.blackplanet.com/mika_mik/****
my page is always being built...

'it is never wrong to ask a question, it is always wrong to be ignorant'-The Great fortune Cooky

'i dont get many compliments/but i am confident' Talib Kweli

'i dont think im down for that...'-Mika Peaces

'i rather die with my dignity before i bow to my enemy'-Fred Hampton Jr.

'some people try to front like 'i aint feelin it really'/but thatz silly cuz how the fuck you cant feel me...' BT

Okayplayer:yes...we AREEEEE a cult lol

It was like, I aint know whether to clap or be offended, so i clapped with a frown...- Geah

coopcoop
Charter member
376 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: who cares n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

yesterday I woke up sucking a lemmon

"There are no jokes. Truth is the funniest joke of all." - Muhammad Ali

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 05:47 PM

7. "amazing behind the scene coverage!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

With things being slow around okayplayer land...this is definately something we need. more goodies, more goodies!!!
---------------------------------------
"Looking Good!"
Chico

Kevin Torres
R.I.P.

daveyg
Charter member
9336 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 06:16 PM

8. "unitarian"
In response to Reply # 0

not sure what all it entails, but i've heard unitarians say similar stuff to what comm said, just believe in a God
one God, Allah, whatever you call it, but not a man, an undescribeable force. so yeah, that's what i say, although some just don't like the fundamentals of organized religion.
peace
w/love
dave

here's the "official okayoungins list" if you wanna be on just hit me up(aim davegilbertson/email:the button w/ the lines on it) or contact dj_teddy_bear(dj_teddy_bear@hotmail.com), he's warm and cudly...the OKAYoungins are...

dj_teddy_bear...daveyg...zero...DROots...albinomexican...illness...okaymattd...
HomerILLiad404...okaybrazillian...Essaywhaman...GoldenWon...Preach...
HersheyBit...brown_thought...naame...akweykan...Lyterall...MoJoTaters...
Loryn...Imfntubby...ILLusional...tRoUbLeMnD...smiler...TotalRequestloveLive...
WhiGoStaR...itsmeaight...erjs408...drFunkenstein...vuduchild...tygris...
Afroteck...fLee...Scout...sugarflyy...Adrenaline...RipRapRoad...SayWhatMan...Divine Sheba...
IlladOLphINS...ICE...Mr_Sarcastic_tha_Antagonist...6thSenses...Okayplayer619...Yunique...okaykelc...
Zeno...

when i'm not shoppin at thrift stores, i'm supporting underground clothing, not only is it highquality, a lot nicer, but it's supported by some cool people, cut chemist, lmno, mos def, http://www.digitalgravel.com i've been shoppin there for over a year now, you won't be disappointed.

in remembrance of simmon

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akw

naimadoner

Wed Apr-11-01 06:51 PM

9. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

TWO WORDS....CON-FUSED

Maverick
Charter member
2 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 07:06 PM

10. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

Why are y'all debating what you think his religion is...in his own words he "got God but don't got religion"...That's my philosophy too...Every religion has jewels in their teachings so why limit myself to one...

Hit me up at Madlib2361@aol.com

The Best MC's of All-Time (not necessarily in order):
Common Talib Mos Def Andre 3000 KRS-One Rakim Eminem Lauryn Hill Busta Big L Black Thought Cee-Lo Chuck D. Nasty Nas Jay-Z Slick Rick Guru Pharoahe Monch Prodigy Jeru the Damaja

The Best Verse:
My mind walks and bends/ Floats thru wind/ Count to ten/ Meet the twin/ Andre Ben/ Welcome to the lion's den/ Original skin/ Many men/ Comprehend/ I extend myself, so you go out and tell a friend/ Sin/ all depends/ on what you believin in/ Faith is what you make it, that's the hardest shit since MC Ren/ Alien can blend/ Right on in/ With ya kin/ Look again/ Cause I swear I spot one every now and then/ It's happenin again/ Wish I could tell you when/ Andre this is Andre, y'all is just gonna have to make amends
Andre Benjamin- "Aquemini"

"I love my music, I love my momma, I love myself. I love you and you love me."-Common

"I give a damn if any man recall my legacy. I'm tryin to live life in the sight of God's memory"-Mos Def

"Might be over your head, but it's straight from the heart."-Talib Kweli

"Nigga quit bein so God damn selfish/ Put it in ya pelvis."-Andre 3000

naimadoner

Wed Apr-11-01 07:23 PM

12. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 10

yo MADLIB FROM LOOTPACK?

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 07:10 PM

11. "put that HU edulacation to work boy!!!..."
In response to Reply # 0

u still got my legs??

~kiera

there is so much in life for u to feel
unfound in white red or yellow pills
a mind's excursion can be such a thrill
u please satisfy
take a chance & ride
the bird of beauty of the sky
~wonder

everybody must get stoned~dylan

jm760

Wed Apr-11-01 07:28 PM

13. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

i forget what song it is from but here you go: "i lecture how i got God but don't got religion" -common

jm760

Wed Apr-11-01 07:29 PM

14. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 13

sorry, someone already wrote that, i guess i should have read them all before i posted.

misteranonymity
Charter member
1111 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 05:58 AM

19. "Heat (#2)"
In response to Reply # 13

ma
meudontno@hotmail.com

"Just because we're well-spoken and intelligent doesn't mean we're not human."
--?uestlove, justifying why the Roots have a stripper pole in their studio

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Wed Apr-11-01 07:31 PM

15. "it is the kufi y'all"
In response to Reply # 0

i bet if he sported a beretta or a yahmakha, ya'ld stop askin' that question. given, homie is from chi and the n.o.i. and the el rookin had they lil psudo-islam poppin. only ALLAH makes muslims, and may that Qur'an that common is trying to decipher speak to his heart and call him to the iqwaan muslimeen.

i got a dollar next time i see you too!

SERIOUS BUSINESS
http://www.imamjamil.com/

CHECK OUR NEW JAWN
http://www.thejawn.com/krasdale
and leave the Krasdale Kru a message:

in Atlanta at (404) 978-1262 x1184
in Los Angeles at (213) 401-2100 x6844
in San Fran at (415) 430-2161 x2258
in Wash. DC at (202) 756-4100x 9180
in Houston at (713) 590-2341 x5629
in New York at (917) 421-3901 x1725
in Chicago at (312) 777-4001 x5423

confusion is nothing new - Cindy Lauper

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Thu Apr-12-01 03:14 AM

16. "Common is the devil!"
In response to Reply # 0

sike!
it was clear to me a long time ago that he was just a spiritual being and not tied into any particular religious practice.

However Bkyle i wanted to know how the hell you been?
**cyber Hug** you do give the best hugs

if you dont like my post!?
http://riponsomeone.efront.com/images/slap.gif

"Ill cold cut that ass if you dont gimme my sammich!!!" RemyMartin

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

Zeon
Charter member
167 posts
Thu Apr-12-01 05:52 AM

17. "Religion"
In response to Reply # 0

"Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell, spirituality is for those who've been there and back"

Peace.

GB9
Charter member
955 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 07:11 AM

20. "RE: Religion"
In response to Reply # 17

look into the bahai faith, not every religion beieves in a hell and not every religion claims to be the only truth

-------------------------
love what you do
and do what you love

Solitayre
Charter member
8114 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 01:23 PM

34. "RE: Religion"
In response to Reply # 17

>"Religion is for people who are
>afraid to go to hell,
>spirituality is for those who've
>been there and back"
>
>Peace.

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR QUOTE WILL NOW BE MY SIGNATURE

knicksrule

Thu Apr-12-01 09:09 AM

18. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

"talkin bout how i got God but dont got religion"- common

sig:
birth is the cause of death.

Iesa

Fri Apr-13-01 11:10 AM

21. "Man...Com.....(sigh)"
In response to Reply # 0

Sabhanallah.

wow, i guess it was my own ignorance, but yo Com you disappoint me. you lead a brother into thinkin you Muslim, or at least somewhat half Muslim (Nation, Five %'er, Arm Leg Leg, ish) with lines like, "through me Mohammed with forever speak, greatin brothers with handshakes on ghetto landscapes"...."ran through the mosque like Randy, touchin down with close friends and familky"....and the list goes on.

man i used to like your ish and your style, now you just some ghetto fab, artist thats like all the rest....aint got no TRUE ambition in life....always frontin...sayin somethin.

you wack man.

still respect you though as a human.

man, just hope Mos Def ain't like that too.

whatever yo.

milky

peace be upon you.

ScratchHTT
Member since Sep 02nd 2002
34 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 04:39 AM

25. "RE: Man...Com.....(sigh)"
In response to Reply # 21

Correction:

Its actually "Ran through the Moss like Randy" i.e. Randy Moss
I heard he was pretty good at football
sucks at air hockey though.

La Illaha Ilallah Mohomad ur' Rasool Allah

"See me in the town you might think I'm a star/Every three months in a different car/like the other day in a '81 Datsun/wit' my alternator rollin' shotgun."- Boots Riley

"I am the chosen, earth, sun, moon, and stars, Call for me to find the top contendor jus' to spar"- Mecca Star

"the wise man speaks because he has something to say, while the foolish man speaks, because he has to say something"-i don't know

"Ufck what ya heard I'm from Pakistan"- Me

"Fast, plays HARD D, rebounds, block shots, dunks at will, got a 3-ball, medium range J, got handles and 7 feet tall.....he is a player u used to make up on Live '96 but he is the real thing!!" - bnicedh on Kevin Garnett

"carmelo looks like a WNBA play

Iesa

Fri Apr-13-01 11:15 AM

22. "oh yeah."
In response to Reply # 0

thought you had some sense man, o forget, you lost that a couple years ago, now you just common. commonly and collectively confused.

just as confused as the 2nd and 3rd man bro.

Iesa

aka milky

peace be upon you

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 11:42 AM

23. "Dang bro!"
In response to Reply # 22

As salaamu aliakum akhi,

maybe he just don't want people all up in his face tellin' him all the wrong stuff he is doin',ya know, like other artists we know. common is cool and may one day be at jummah salat right next to you,insha Allah. if he isn't muslim tho, the kufi has got to go. it hurts when they perp.

Regulators!!! Mount UP!

he he he

Mos is scheduled to do a fundraiser May12 in LA with Q-tip and student/scholar of Islam Muhammad Shareef,for Imam Jamil Al-Amin.I heard that a massive amount of people are trying to be there.Insha Allah,my husband will be there too.

Sudani

naijagirl
Member since Aug 19th 2002
10 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 05:30 AM

31. "RE: Dang bro!"
In response to Reply # 23

why does the kufi have to go if he isnt muslim? in Nigeria, folks wear those hats who aren't muslim. am i missing something?

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 08:52 AM

26. "judgemental much??"
In response to Reply # 22

people can't believe and do what they choose???

when the fuck did common ever say "i am muslim, therefore all my similes and metaphors shall 100% honest muslim references"

y'all kill me...

are you gonna go burn all your common cd's and tell your friends not to buy them either?

he's a entertainer..get over it.

Much love,
Kyle

We all know angie's about to be a rock star by way of book, right?
Just helping her on her way.

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Iesa

Sat Apr-14-01 04:08 PM

27. "RE: judgemental much??"
In response to Reply # 26

wha.

hold up, i know you a woman so i take that into consideration when talkin bout com sense.

listen...i said it was probably my own ignorance that lead me to believe that he was muslim.
whatever...he represents like he is Muslim, and that ain't right.
dood, you tellin me you didn't think/or ever thought that he was Muslim??? please.

its misrep. how'd you like it if i told you i was the pres. of Congo...for 10 yrs...when i really never was???

what im sayin is that, by him makin me think he was Muslim, i thought i shared a COMMON bond with him - now i found that i dont.

being a brother in Islam is somethin i don take lightly, i love my brothers. its losin family - thats what i felt.

anyway.

take it ease

Iese

peace be upon you

pray for us all.

ps. i burned the CD's a while ago - when i found out that music ain't no good. oh ya, and i will be tellin friend cause a good bro of mine looks like com

Solitayre
Charter member
8114 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 01:36 PM

35. "OH really..."
In response to Reply # 27

I'm sayin what bond could you possibly have with a brother you seem to not know personally. If I study the Qu'ran and make constant references to Muhammed in my rhymes, does that mean I am a DEVOUT muslim?

A better question would be, are you such a devout muslim to question brother com's faith in Allah?

For all you know the brother could be smoking weed, drinkin alcohol, eatin pork and throwing orgies backstage and here you go saying that it felt like we had a common bond, like you a used up woman.

Entertainers are just that in the public eye. The problem is people SWEAR they can find a PERSONAL bonding/friendship/leadership in them.

You're showing me very little difference in your philosophy and those of the Tupac Zealots with that statement.

Iesa

Wed Apr-18-01 10:07 AM

36. "RE: OH really..."
In response to Reply # 35

boyee.

get off your tough boyee ish!!
tryin to impress me or something.
???

listen, the man made it seem like he was muslim, never did i say that he was. when you make yourself out to look like something, don you think people will think you are that something???

you think im stupid, ignorant or something?? course the man could be throwin orgies ans shiazzz backstage, don think i know that?

point is, there COULD have been the CHANCE that we shared a bond.

guy, i ain't judgin no one. its wrong to. THE BROTHER SAID HE AINT MUSLIM. thats why i said we probably don share the bond.

whatever yo.

brother, i'll keep it at that.
sorry yo, got bit upset, but you know you aint the smartest of em all. i aint either. actually, may be you are.

take it ease

peace

Iesa

peace be upon you

KOONTZILLA
Charter member
652 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 11:49 AM

24. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

HE'S IN THE SAME RELIGION I AM...... A CHILD OF GOD, A BELIEVER OF GOD..... WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD BE...... HE AIN'T CLAIMIN NO SETS ( THATS WHAT I CALL IT.... )

"Niggas mad cause Ibrags about the cash I got, but I'm used to not havin alot, I'm from the gutter and ohh..."-Jay-Z

"Expensive shoes worn, Loui Viton see-through gone, CoChes, my face is like a coupon..."Jay-Z

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 07:23 PM

28. "i also study that religion..."
In response to Reply # 0

naw fo real i am the same way. I love god...try and do my best by him in my own way cause i know there has to be somethin bigger than me...someone who put me here for a reason....now all that religion stuff....that is a different story...i am more involved with the spiritual then the religious so i see his point. i feel him.

do yo thang com...thanks b!

Peace,
Serena

Declaring the other half of April as Okayplayer Slogan 1/2 month!!

Okayplayer boards: ruining lives everyday.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Mon Apr-16-01 01:44 PM

29. "RE: Common's religion is........"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is caught up with what this man's belief structure is...
A big part of faith is that no Woman/Man can judge you; so what does it matter to any of us what his religion is?
And to the brother who feels that he can no longer support Common because he found out he was not muslim; Why do you feel that you can only relate to those and invest in those who only practice what you practice? We as a collective group of ethnic people should really try to start breaking away from this chain of division(competing religions) that we so easily chose to define who we are. Also it seems that we as a people{Black people} are always so caught up with image! Including this religious or spiritual image. But how many of us really truely know what it is to have Religion? Religion isn't just "Following" it has more to do with structure and discipline. In order to reach a higher level you have to have dedication and structure. You have to be dedicated to your beliefs and convictions and structured enough to practice what you beleive. The path to righteousness is narrow not broad. Anyway that all I got to say about that.
"I beleive in God. I chose to use that name when I address the Almighty. Allah dosen't mind I'm sure....."

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

h20molecule
Charter member
827 posts
Mon Apr-16-01 03:38 PM

30. "just playing devil's advocate here..."
In response to Reply # 29

but why have you chosen to question the Muslim okp about why he feels he can no longer support Common and his music? It seems that if this mans faith and belief which is personal to him tells him to do so, then he should do so. But you have made it seem as if his choice is abhorrent with simple human logic.Sounds like a judgement against his his beliefs or at least against'the chain of division' which you eloquently criticized.

Early in the e-mail you question why people have an interest in the man's belief structure but then you turn around and define exactly and discetely what religion is after after implying that others don't truly know what it is or think it just constitutes following. Aren't you dividing yourself from those who have that perspective of religion.

Then you say the path of rigtheousnees is narrow not broad and also tell us the name by which you call God. It seems to me that your desire to pontificate on your beliefs might have answered the very question you posed. Your desire to express and communicate your understanding is no different then someone who wants to label Common in order to gain a frame of reference from which to understand that brother Cornbread.

h20

-----------------------------------------------------
"Observe the ugly mess which most men make of their sex lives-and observe the mess of contradictions which they hold as their moral philosophy. One proceeds from the other. Love is our response to our highest values-and can be nothing else. Let a man corrupt his values and his view of existence, let him profess that love is not self-enjoyment, but self denial, that virtue consists, not of pride, but of pity or pain or weakness or sacrifice, that the noblest love is born, not of admiration, but of charity, not in response to values, but in response to flaws-and he will have cut himself in two. His body will not obey him, it will not respond, it will make him impotent toward the woman he professes to love and draw him to the lowest type of whore he can find. His body will always follow the ultimate logic of his deepest convictions; if he believes that flaws are values, he has damned existence as evil and only the evil will attact him. He has damned himself and he will feel that depravity is all he is worth enjoying. He has equated virtue with pain and he will feel that his body has vicious desires of its own which his mind cannot conquer, that sex is sin, that true love is a pure emotion of spirit. And then he will wonder why lover brings him nothing but boredom, and sex-nothing but shame." -taken from 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand

h20
-------------------------------------------------
if hip hop ever dies...it will be the day that all of us who fell in love with a new sound that was like nothing we ever heard before stop wanting to be challenged. the day those of us who nurtured

Iesa

Tue Apr-17-01 11:12 AM

32. "wagwan"
In response to Reply # 30

listen, to the brah that was question'n/lecturin me on the division that we create b/c of religion, you pretty much no doubt right. let me get it straight though, not like i hate on non muslims, i got non muslim boys, just that religion to me is something at a higher level and to be able to connect at that level means soo much more to a friendship.
not sayin i hate Rashid. you know. just hearin that he isn't muslim, after i thought he may have been, hurt.
man, i pray for muslims and non muslims alike. but i do have to be aware of the devil, you know, people can be the devil.

h20 you thinkin in some other way/level, like you said, the devil's advocate, thats why i should be aware of what you're sayin....
haha
cool

anyway yo.

peace to all

Iesa

peace be upon you

Divine Sheba
Charter member
16971 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 11:40 AM

33. "I thought he was clear on G.O.D..."
In response to Reply # 0

"as long as you know there's a being that's supreme to you, you let that show towards others and the things you" (c) Common

peace...

---Real Sheba Quotes---

"fuck y'all, i'm soulful" (c) Binlahab

"If truth shall be my companion through the FAH-LAAAMES!!!...then so be it..." (c) Jade (Vanessa Williams "Cosby Show")

"Arrest him!! for impersonating a man!" (c) Jade

"...u just can't be any ol kinda way doin any ol kinda thing & be like "RESPECT ME NIGGA...I'M A QUEEN!!!" (c) Morpheme

MYRIAM NSALU VITA LUYEYE
Feb. 8, 1959-Jan. 14, 2001
"Everything I do is a monument to you and your memory..."

AIM: AFROdite529

okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.

throwback.

soulprincess

Mon Apr-23-01 12:06 PM

37. "musiq"
In response to Reply # 0

i like comm . he's tha man and i can appreiate his answer. i want all tha common fans to vote for the new viedo "love" http://www.bet.com/106andpark/

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17272 Previous topic | Next topic