Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16683

Subject: "who are the grandwizzards?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Thu May-03-01 04:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"who are the grandwizzards?"

(i know its in tfa booklet)

and who has done which beats? i seen dice and thoughts name...did they do any beats or do they just yay and nay?

the words present "Audible Silence"
featuring the smash singles "Scissors", "Shutta Penlissen", and the first single, "my rhymes better"
online May 15th
single online May 4th @
http://www.mp3.com/wordy

The Words - Audible Silence
coming soon to mp3.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: who are the grandwizzards?
Dyskotek
May 03rd 2001
May 03rd 2001
May 03rd 2001
up
May 03rd 2001
I think they are...
May 04th 2001
That "kat" is named....
May 04th 2001
esther roll-play
May 04th 2001
nice overview
May 04th 2001
now thats a reply
May 04th 2001
thank you
May 06th 2001

Dyskotek

Thu May-03-01 05:52 AM

1. "RE: who are the grandwizzards?"
In response to Reply # 0

they used to be called the Grand Negaz back on Organix....i think.

Best i understand it, they are probably um .....ya know....i have no idea. Thats a very good question....a good question for
?uestlove.

GB9
Charter member
955 posts
Thu May-03-01 05:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: who are the grandwizzards?"
In response to Reply # 0

i think grandwizzards referrs to like all of the people involved on production like the whole collective including ?uestlove and like all the other guys involved in making roots records......then again i just THINK this, so yea ?uest cumon down and clear this up cuz i prolly have no idea what im talking about

-------------------------
love what you do
and do what you love

JtothaI
Charter member
17132 posts
Thu May-03-01 06:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: who are the grandwizzards?"
In response to Reply # 2

I was just wondering that yesterday when listening to the Live disc. They are listed as producers on every track.

PEACE

"OOOHHH That should be rated R!!!!" - Hasim Rahman (after sending Lennox Lewis to his back in 0.1 seconds)

THE VERBAL HOLOGRAM
http://www.thaformula.com

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Thu May-03-01 03:42 PM

4. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

Silence Becomes Audible May 15th.

coming soon to mp3.com

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Fri May-04-01 07:13 AM

5. "I think they are..."
In response to Reply # 0

?uest
Storch
Nichols
and another kat

But what do I know?

BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Fri May-04-01 08:24 AM

6. "That "kat" is named...."
In response to Reply # 5

>?uest
>Storch
>Nichols
>and another kat...

.... the other 'kat' is Kelo Saunders.

Kelo is a producer that has helped score some classics for The Roots as well as an engineer that is on the main boards at the back of shows for D'angelo tour, the Roots shows...

He's TRULY talented, a Wizard, and the guy shaking his head in the video clip "Black (dot) Thought" in the Roots video section.

Peace..

Brian Kyle A.

"Reality is friskin' me, this industry will make you lose intensity!" ~ Common

"Way more necessary skills for the application... My facts more than make up for what you have in imagination" ~ Talib Kweli

"My roots extend the bedrock. I stay grounded. Perfect balance, I've found it" ~ Talib Kweli

"I'm straight gutter... up-in-that ass foot-putter..." ~ Black Thought (http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/footputra.ra&proto=rtsp)

4 months before the album came out... I was told one song may not make it. Now 10 months later...
http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/africadream.rm

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri May-04-01 06:09 PM

7. "esther roll-play"
In response to Reply # 0

kamal- brings his ideas full fledge. plays keys, guitar bass and programs the drums. if riq feels it, it goes to second base. either me or kelo replace the drums. ("next movement" me, "section" kelo sampling me to make my sound fatter)

rich nichols- concept guy. can be honest and you not get mad for his honesty. has incredible stamina and patience for vocal takes. very naggy for mixing sessions "drum suck dick!" has great ability to stroke ego of lesser masters of first take (tariq). "cool that was nice, try and approximate the vibe more, use breath control, just try it another way and we can a/b it again" basically nice guy talk for "you suck!".

kelo- scientist. keeps files of every snare i ever hit since i got a deal. gadget guy. perfected our live sound. how to make our shit bigger. dice's overseeer. steal's my records since he figures that i won't need em anytime soon. human protools machine.

scott- writes mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad songs.

me- brings song sketches to the table. (see kamal) difference is i utilize scott's songwriting ability (melody. pop sense see eve song, xhibit, and dre's last 2 years as "producer") james' (sqrs) and kamal's as well as my own. mixdowns are my strengths (i think) and i think more of the to the left stuff usually come from me.

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-ready to die
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Fri May-04-01 06:14 PM

8. "nice overview"
In response to Reply # 7

why don't you stick around for awhile? peace, love, and soul!!!
-b

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"i'm open minded like a pothead." -common

"when you're creating your own shit, man, even the sky ain't the limit." -miles davis

"dumb, insensitive critics have destroyed a lot of great music and musicians who just weren't as strong as i was in having the ability to say, 'fuck ya'll.'" -miles davis

RamXL
Charter member
13957 posts
Fri May-04-01 07:00 PM

9. "now thats a reply"
In response to Reply # 7

felt that duke

peace,

r

"never boned a honey that i didnt like, never saw a mile that i couldnt hike, never had a splif to make me choke, never had a pocket that was broke" dres-'theman'

"shit, been the same since '86 and kane"

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Sun May-06-01 07:58 AM

10. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 7

(damali said i should stop being arrogant about getting you to reply)

Silence Becomes Audible May 15th.

coming soon to mp3.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16683 Previous topic | Next topic