Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16639

Subject: "$35 for the same old show?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 01:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"$35 for the same old show?"

okp Framamind had a good point.

If I go see the roots on Sunday and pay $35 am I gonna get the same show Ive seen 3 times since TPA?

Should I call all the cues in the front row right before they happen? I mean I'm a big fan but DAMN! Thats a lot of skrilla!

JUSTICE
DPS ATTY GEN
S.P.A.S!!!!!
eLOD !!!!!!!
"Dont stand there lookin stupid, stupid!" Talib Kweli
http://www.recordkingdom.com
http://www.neckexersize.com
=============================

Rest In Peace Dad!

BUS PASS PIMPIN!!!!!!!!
San Diego Player Shouts! MikeCzech UNITE tashiko michealo Framamind zephyrah 33andathird Nickelz45 JZen guevarapower sdhiphop mcScoobySnack shortyWarfare Instant Axis

I can smell it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
At least....
Apr 26th 2001
damn im in illinois....
Apr 26th 2001
RE: damn im in illinois....
Apr 27th 2001
      ha
Apr 28th 2001
Roots in Indiana twice in '99...
Apr 28th 2001
RE: Roots in Indiana twice in '99...
May 02nd 2001
RE: At least....
May 02nd 2001
me too
May 07th 2001
They Change it up
Apr 26th 2001
Wait I take that back...........
Apr 26th 2001
im still going
Apr 26th 2001
justice, shut the fuck up
Apr 26th 2001
i'd gladly pay
Apr 26th 2001
RE: i'd gladly pay
Apr 26th 2001
RE: $35 for the same old show?
Apr 26th 2001
what I was equating this to...
Apr 26th 2001
      RE: what I was equating this to...
Apr 26th 2001
Apr 27th 2001
           Im saying!!!!!!!
Apr 27th 2001
           oh and Shawn....
Apr 27th 2001
Apr 27th 2001
Apr 29th 2001
           a guitarist???
May 07th 2001
Apr 27th 2001
ill be there!
Apr 27th 2001
reasons
Apr 27th 2001
nobody is ever low enough
Apr 27th 2001
AMEN. . .
Apr 28th 2001
stop
Apr 28th 2001
Apr 30th 2001
Naw this is him
Marinera
Apr 30th 2001
Lyricize
Apr 30th 2001
revenge!
Apr 30th 2001
HIp Hop 101?
Apr 30th 2001
tom??
May 01st 2001
roots vs okayplayer
May 02nd 2001
      RE: roots vs okayplayer
May 02nd 2001
      good point...
May 03rd 2001
mr writerfellow...
May 01st 2001
Here's Tom
May 01st 2001
RE: Here's Tom
May 01st 2001
      i want that damn hat
May 01st 2001
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 02nd 2001

AB
Charter member
446 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "At least...."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't want to hear this complaint. I live in Indiana. Hip Hop around here is nonexistent. Don't be complainin' that you've seen the Roots too many times. Check the tour list and see if you can find the next time The Roots are coming 'round these parts (never). I'll go cry myself to sleep now...

mcbadfeet
Charter member
1066 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "damn im in illinois...."
In response to Reply # 1

and i've seen em twice since tfa............ahhhh chitown.

ULTIMATE HIP HOP SUPERSTORE: http://www.sandboxautomatic.com/
underground everything -tekzilla 12"'s

*get Lewis Taylor cd's here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006TEI/o/qid=983465806/sr=8-2/026-0085729-5341211

AB
Charter member
446 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 11:46 AM

15. "RE: damn im in illinois...."
In response to Reply # 2

Illionois is much stroger on the hip hop scene than my Indiana (Most frequently uttered phrase: "6AM, time to pick some corn")

bw
Charter member
1668 posts
Sat Apr-28-01 01:56 PM

21. "ha"
In response to Reply # 15

Personally I like to listen to The Roots in my combine (got a tape deck in the John Deere!)

bw
aim: okayplayer47

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Sat Apr-28-01 04:22 PM

24. "Roots in Indiana twice in '99..."
In response to Reply # 1

once when Lauryn stopped through at Deer Creek, and once again a couple months later for at the Indiana State Fairgrounds on a bill shared with Eminem, Busta Rhymes, Snoop Dogg, Too $hort, Krayzie Bone... and i think thats it..

--me--
May U Live 2 C TheJawn...
http://www.thejawn.com/

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

bw
Charter member
1668 posts
Wed May-02-01 03:56 PM

38. "RE: Roots in Indiana twice in '99..."
In response to Reply # 24

Yeah, caught them at Deer Creek.. which never schedules anything like that. There's always one hip-hop/r&b/slightly urban show at the very end of the summer that doesn't get promoted as part of the regular lineup.

The big concert ("Hoosier Rap Daddy") was a fiasco... it was supposed to be in Bloomington and test the waters for a new Deer Creek (cough, Verizon Wireless Music Center) that would have been in Bloomington.

HOWEVER, some residents of a certain area of town filed a late-term lawsuit concerned with "disturbance", coincidentally late enough so that it couldn't be resolved in time for the show. (please note: disturbance my ass! I'm pretty sure this lawsuit said something about the 'wrong kind of people')

It had to be moved to the Indiana State Fairgrounds, a horrible venue, and it killed ticket sales (which were already lower due to a $55 price). The promoters got taken to the cleaners. Not a whole lot hiphop wise has happened in Indiana since then...

bw
aim: okayplayer47
ben.walker@hiphopcongress.com

--
still trying to figure them out:
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/1.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/2.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/3.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/4.ram

http://www.hiphopcongress.com creepin up on ya....

KOONTZILLA
Charter member
652 posts
Wed May-02-01 04:05 PM

39. "RE: At least...."
In response to Reply # 1

>I don't want to hear this
>complaint. I live in
>Indiana. Hip Hop around
>here is nonexistent. Don't
>be complainin' that you've seen
>the Roots too many times.
> Check the tour list
>and see if you can
>find the next time The
>Roots are coming 'round these
>parts (never). I'll go
>cry myself to sleep now...

you thinkyou got it bad, i'm in nashville... and the only okp that came here was talib.... and they didn't even annouce them bein in the tour.... so i didn't see that..... i'm tired of cryin OKAYPLAYERS SEND YALL STANKIN ASSS TOUR DOWN THIS WAYS PLEASE, I'M FIENDIN.... AND IF YOU WORRIED THAT YALL WON'T SELL ANY TIX, YOU WILL IT'S A PRETTY BIG HIP-HOP FAN BASE DOWN HERE....

"Niggas mad cause Ibrags about the cash I got, but I'm used to not havin alot, I'm from the gutter and ohh..."-Jay-Z

"Expensive shoes worn, Loui Viton see-through gone, CoChes, my face is like a coupon..."Jay-Z

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Mon May-07-01 12:42 PM

42. "me too"
In response to Reply # 1

I've only seen the Roots once...Man I would love to see them every few months.

NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "They Change it up"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2787&forum=concert&archive=yes

I mean what do you want NEW songs between albums?

but i think they try to change it up as best they can given the restrictions:

-You Got Me require(although there are several versions of it)

-No Organix

-No Essaywhuman

-No Guests for the most part, although the Conn. show got Jag and i'm crossing my fingers that she will be @ MIT tommorow.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 02:01 PM

4. "Wait I take that back..........."
In response to Reply # 3

>I mean what do you want
>NEW songs between albums?

They have been doing a lot of Thought's stuff from the solo album lately, at least judging by the setlists ?uest has posted.

And i think Dice has a new song.

So yes they have been giving us plenty of new songs. I was wrong

mcScoobySnack
Charter member
2759 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 02:46 PM

5. "im still going"
In response to Reply # 0

i had to auction my gall bladder on ebay to buy the ticket though

"practicing abstinence is easy...all you gotta do is be yourself"-my man jerry

the buspass pimp sextet is:
jaysawhn
justice
shortyWarfare
timmy hendrix
a cat named todd
and
my brother jahmal

o

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 02:52 PM

6. "justice, shut the fuck up"
In response to Reply # 0

you sound like a lil' whiny bastard

be fortunate you see them

they don't have much say over ticket prices, ask the promoter (they're playing at Bowling Green w/ RUN DMC for 15 bones, so i can't think it's them just saying 'hey diego, pay more you rich bastids)

realize they do change shit up and it's not their fault you've seen them so much since TFA or TRCA

maybe you need to sit a show out...

Much love,
Kyle

We all know angie's about to be a rock star by way of book, right?
Just helping her on her way.

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

kobe085
Charter member
2377 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 03:11 PM

7. "i'd gladly pay"
In response to Reply # 0

wisconsin doesn't see the roots often enough (i've never seen them live). i would just keep your complaints to yourself, or move out to the midwest so their concerts can still be unique experiences for you. peace.

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 05:00 PM

8. "RE: i'd gladly pay"
In response to Reply # 7

hey if ur headin to a show, u'll prolly catch some 'ish off Thought's new joint Masterpiece Theater. That shit it tight, i heard it at a show

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 06:00 PM

9. "RE: $35 for the same old show?"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't go. I mean they haven't dropped a new album or a LOT of singles/appearneces since last Novemeber, so it'll be at least 50% of the same show.

Me? I'm going. And i'm oging to coachella the day before.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Framamind
Charter member
1617 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 06:15 PM

10. "what I was equating this to..."
In response to Reply # 9

I paid 35 for the OKP tour show (and I'm still coming down from that...), and that was some mad talent to have on stage. The promoters are gettin greedy I guess, asking for 35 for a single act in a small venue like belly up. Granted, I love the shows there, the atmosphere is great. But, been there done that (about 7 times since TFA dropped, not a whole lot I haven't seen or heard, and it's all been great). I'll catch them next time around. It is a good thing that they always get shows booked down here.

Besides, I'm saving money for the RE

One World, Many Minds.

Framamind

If you can't think for yourself, what can you think?

Supporting San Diego hip-hop! http://www.mp3.com/roundtablemcs

"cut a rug? you can call me the carpet doctor!!!"- Quidom

"Sometimes you just gotta say....BITCH I ASKED FOR A SHISKABOB!!!" -Vivrant

"No offense to a player but yo I don't play/and if you take offense, fuck it, got to be that way" -Pos

J Dilla
Mpozi
GURU

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 06:44 PM

11. "RE: what I was equating this to..."
In response to Reply # 10

The small venue is the reason I am WILLING to pay 35 for it. The bellyup holds between 500 and 600 people according to there box office. So at 600 people the box take equals $21,000.

Now, The Roots probably have 7 or more people at any time (Quest, Hub, Thought, Kamal, Scratch, Black Thought, Dice Raw, Big Spon.) Add the cost of instruments, the bus, the support personnel (sound man and manager, assistants, merchadise seller, video technicans, internet helpers, bus driver, gasoline, food, records to buy.)

So maybe each member is getting (if they get the WHOLE door, which is doubtful) they are making 1g a piece.

Add that into the fact that EVERY show I've seen them perfom past 1996 has been sold out and you'll see there is quite a demand.

As for your point that the Okayplayer.com Tour was a value, I AGREE. It's kind of like getting an INCREDIBLE deal on an item one time and then paying regualr price the next. But I remeber cats (not you) who were like "$35 just to see the Roots, Jazzies, Talib, Dice, Guru, Slum and Dead Prez is a ripoff."

I mean I remeber when the door for a Roots show was $10. Saw them back in 1995 at The Green Circle Bar for that price. And even thought I am hoping to get in to the show gratis (COME ON TINA ) I have purchased 4 tickets for the show to take my friends.

I got MAD respect for you Fram, and I see your point, but if you only see The Roots once a year, I say this may be the show. Unless you can wait until say December. I know me and you and a host of others see them at least 4 times a year

But I'll take this $35 show or a $18 dollar Funkdoobiest and $17 dollar Del show later in the year.

And I've been unemployed for 9 months

-Tom

------------

Shawn_Gee
Charter member
969 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 12:07 PM

16. "RE: what I was equating this to..."
In response to Reply # 10

That was one of the problems we had when putting together the OKP tour. We were thinking, Damn we are giving the fans soooooo much talent on one bill for an affordable price. (The shit was MORE than a discount for the talent that was on that stage, the price should've been $50 - $75) We were wondering if folks would get spoiled because they spent $35 to see 7 acts, would they say "shiiiit, why should I pay $XXX for JUST the Roots". I guess that's what happens when you try to give your fans something extra....they come to expect it everytime.

Oh and the comment about the show changing..... I agree that from March of 1999 to August of 2000 the show was mostly the same except for a few minor changes (Internally, I was the person who was the most vocal re: this issue...ask ?uest). But last fall you got the OKP tour which WASN'T the same show. And this year they've incorporated new songs (from Black Thought), old songs (from old albums), new guests (Jag), new skits and new musicians (Ben on the guitar) so I'd hardly say the show was the same. Also you must remember that ?uest was on hiatus for 8 months of 2000 (Jan-Aug) when he was with D'Angelo, and there is no way the Roots can change their show without ?uest.

So, basically my point is....never mind I think you get my point.

"Ernest Lee is Shorty. In the Little Leagues, he can front like he’s something important, but any attempt to move into the big time leaves him exposed, shocked, and utterly outclassed". - (taken from the Blowhard league archives)

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 12:17 PM

17. "Im saying!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

I cant afford it so I'm being a little bitch... okay? damn I wanna go worse than anyone in the county (save under21ers) maaaan. I dont want to resort to selling my ass!

JUSTICE
DPS ATTY GEN
S.P.A.S!!!!!
eLOD !!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Dad!

BUS PASS PIMPIN!!!!!!!!
San Diego Player Shouts! MikeCzech UNITE tashiko michealo Framamind zephyrah 33andathird Nickelz45 JZen guevarapower sdhiphop mcScoobySnack shortyWarfare Instant Axis

I can smell it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 12:23 PM

18. "oh and Shawn...."
In response to Reply # 17

remember when I was volunteerin to be a roadie? or tryin to get an ativist table out there? see I'm down for mine!

JUSTICE
DPS ATTY GEN
S.P.A.S!!!!!
eLOD !!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Dad!

BUS PASS PIMPIN!!!!!!!!

I can smell it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

Framamind
Charter member
1617 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 04:19 PM

20. "RE: what I was equating this to..."

>That was one of the problems
>we had when putting together
>the OKP tour. We
>were thinking, Damn we are
>giving the fans soooooo much
>talent on one bill for
>an affordable price. (The
>shit was MORE than a
>discount for the talent that
>was on that stage, the
>price should've been $50 -
>$75) We were wondering if
>folks would get spoiled because
>they spent $35 to see
>7 acts, would they say
>"shiiiit, why should I pay
>$XXX for JUST the Roots".
>I guess that's what happens
>when you try to give
>your fans something extra....they come
>to expect it everytime.

True. Perhaps that's a lingering effect of having such a GREAT show come through town. But in retrospect, I believe the last Roots show I attended at that particular venue prior to the OKP tour only cost me about $20. But like I said (and you've told us countless times), that's a promoter issue. And yes, 7 acts for 35 bucks was a fuckin steal....
>
>Oh and the comment about the
>show changing..... I agree that
>from March of 1999 to
> August of 2000 the
>show was mostly the same
>except for a few minor
>changes (Internally, I was the
>person who was the most
>vocal re: this issue...ask ?uest).
> But last fall you
>got the OKP tour which
>WASN'T the same show.
>And this year they've incorporated
>new songs (from Black Thought),
>old songs (from old albums),
>new guests (Jag), new skits
>and new musicians (Ben on
>the guitar) so I'd hardly
>say the show was the
>same. Also you must remember
>that ?uest was on hiatus
>for 8 months of 2000
>(Jan-Aug) when he was with
>D'Angelo, and there is no
>way the Roots can change
>their show without ?uest.

I wonder if we've kinda created an oxymoron in saying 'its the same show'. Live shows are never the same when you really look at it. There's always those 'nuances' that come through from show to show. I also know that this certainly won't be the last time the Roots roll through my city, either. They continue to sell out shows here, and I know they will be back again.

But like I said, I'm just saving money for the reunion right now. I have no prob dropping 35 to see them, just not at this juncture.

One World, Many Minds.

Framamind

"No offense to a player but yo I don't play/and if you take offense, fuck it, got to be that way" -Pos

J Dilla
Mpozi
GURU

Mpozi
Charter member
1629 posts
Sun Apr-29-01 03:50 PM

25. "RE: what I was equating this to..."

BIZ MAn REPRESENTIN!!!!!

good point... and a very nice peek at the inside of a tour Mr G...

it's easy to get upset over a ticket price, but it's a live band your paying for so it makes perfect sense...

think: remember in the 70's and early 80's you had full size bands at almost every show? bass, maybe 2 guitars, drummer percussionist, singers, some dude who just kinda stood there and played the tambourine (with no mike at that!)? well, all them cats gotta get paid, eat, drink, travel, be costumed or dressed etc...

costs money...

look at the demise of such acts in the history of music? when was the last time you saw a reggae band with a horn section on stage? or in some cases a guitarist? Mr. Moog and his mad granchildren (aka the synthesizer) killed all that noise... now it's a couple of testosterone laden casio keyboards tryin to be Tommy McCook!

all those cool raod stories bout cats gettin discovered cause one member of the big band was missing/sleep/too high/drunk to play?

alot goes into a "production" as opposed to a couple rappers, a dj (whose tables may or may not even be plugged in) and a DAT...

i feel ya'll on the price vibe though...35 is 35... but the spontaniety, and the bragging rights of being one of the few that made it in the door will last longer than the sting to the wallet...

but then again, i'm biased...

PoZi (;=

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Mon May-07-01 12:49 PM

43. "a guitarist???"

KOOL, I wanna see/hear...They need to be gettin their asses back to NC!

luvrave
Charter member
158 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 11:06 AM

12. "RE: $35 for the same old show?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yo
If you go to the show, I'll buy you a drink! You know you gonna be mad if you miss it!!!!

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 11:06 AM

13. "ill be there!"
In response to Reply # 0

:7

"you without me is like cornflakes without the milk!"(c)oran "juice" jones

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 11:22 AM

14. "reasons"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm brok and I wanna go.... Kyl nailed it I'd pay it if I had it :'(

JUSTICE
DPS ATTY GEN
S.P.A.S!!!!!
eLOD !!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Dad!

BUS PASS PIMPIN!!!!!!!!

I can smell it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Apr-27-01 03:25 PM

19. "nobody is ever low enough"
In response to Reply # 14

to not sell they body

Much love,
Kyle

We all know angie's about to be a rock star by way of book, right?
Just helping her on her way.

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Halo
Charter member
248 posts
Sat Apr-28-01 03:30 PM

22. "AMEN. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

. . .to Okayplayers AB & Kobe085. I'll gladly pay $35 for a Roots show. I've only seen them. . .never. Move down here (Tallahassee) and feel my pain. The closest I got to feeling like I was at one of their concerts was when I played songs from their 'live' album at a house party. For now, I'll have to settle for road-tripping to get my fix. And for even one show, imagine my expenses. Gas, Food, Lodging (if my truck can't hold all five of us overnight). . .all on top of that ticket price.

But actually, I understand what the other players are saying, though. I just wanted to b*tch about being away from the center of action, hoping some power-that-be could read this and feel sorry for us players away from the action. . .ALL THE TIME.

Florida. . .*hmph*

Peace.

~Halo

http://www.conceptlive.com (Coming Soon)

". . .Picked up a fallen angel on the path that I MC,
familiar voice, come to find out the angel was me. . ." -Common

-----
imagine. conceive. embrace.
www.coldfingersolutions.com

. . .get touched

shwin
Charter member
3481 posts
Sat Apr-28-01 04:14 PM

23. "stop"
In response to Reply # 22

this has gone too far. why this much debate about seein the roots for a measley day of work at minimum wage. i might be biased bc i have a job that pays many times the minumum, so cash is no problem. still, the crew are the best act in hip-hop, no denying that. one day, when the grammy's have more than one rap award, after eminem has OD'd on valiums, snoop stops smokin to sell records,white comdeians don't make crude comments about hip-hop and puffy turns heterosexual, himanity in its enireity will see the genius of the legendary root crew. shit, hendrix, zepplin and the beatles plyed the same shit their last couple shows, and damn near neone would be willing to pay $100+ to see them. how do uy know how long the roots are gonna be around (hopefully forever) what, u wouldn't have paid $35 to go see 2pac?!? fuck this shit, life is too short to be not enjoying truely fulfilling spectacles. going to a roots show is one of them. so give up ur $35. hey philly is a rough twon, ain't no body know how safe the roots are there....peace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NYU

MikeCzech
Charter member
1402 posts
Mon Apr-30-01 05:55 PM

26. "RE: $35 for the same old show?"
In response to Reply # 0

UP!....

your ass!!! Busta ass didn't pay a gat damn dime to get up in the mix.. And it was the same old unforgettable show packed with the same unfuckwitable musicianship that got The Roots where they are today.

and you're welcome!

Enjoy the fine sounds of Roundtable MCs: http://www.mp3.com/roundtablemcs

The Flavor Show - Friday nights 2-4am
90.3FM Z90 San Diego (z90.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
SKRATCH N SNIFF
Remixxxing Your Radio
http://www.snsmix.com

Marinera

Mon Apr-30-01 06:07 PM

27. "Naw this is him"
In response to Reply # 0

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/maplelaffs/apr9moebear.jpg

Just thought I'd throw that in there . . .

"Pimpin ain't easy, Pimpin ain't dead, the hoes are just scared" - Charles Oakley

Giving you true calcio since 1986

AIM: Marinera81
MAIL: jonah_b27@hotmail.com

Check out http://www.greatergood.com Help end world hunger, save the rainforest, help stop AIDS in Africa, help children survive in 3rd world countries, stop breast cancer, and give treatment to landmine victims in less than a minute a day! FOR FREE! NO FORMS TO FILL OUT AND NO STRINGS! REALLY!!!

Lyricize

Mon Apr-30-01 06:30 PM

28. "RE: $35 for the same old show?"
In response to Reply # 0

At least you kats get to see the Roots...
None of the Okay Crew ever come to my city, (Calgary AB). They only be doin' shows in Montreal, T dot, and VC. There are mad headz in this city and we would pay more than $35 for a show, and the shit would sell out... believe that!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Apr-30-01 06:47 PM

29. "revenge!"
In response to Reply # 0

i never brag on the show.

but i gotta.
brag brag brag brag brag brag brag brag!!!!!!

our fattest show in the longest. longest.

new songs
new arrangements
old songs
songs off the top.

all i could say during soundcheck was:

if i don't make a man who makes $34 a year pay $35 to see us and not feed his family, we are failing.

it was that mentality that made us do our most spontanious in ages. switching shit here. switching shit there.

you missed it.

ps. tom i am so friggin proud of you man. great job!

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-ready to die
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Apr-30-01 06:52 PM

30. "HIp Hop 101?"
In response to Reply # 29

so is it back in the set?

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Tue May-01-01 05:33 AM

31. "tom??"

was that the guy with the "b-side players" jacket on? white dude with the shades?

yes quest that shit was dope! better than the okay tour, and i thought that was hella tight.

tell tiny michaelo said hi. i met her right before the show. i was picking her brain. check my review.

"The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can`t go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches."(c)??

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed May-02-01 02:53 AM

36. "roots vs okayplayer"
In response to Reply # 31

2 whole new animals.

u really think that 7 acts for the price of one (plus u got gugu?!?!?!?!) wasn't dope?

maybe u thought it was dope, but i'd never compare the two. okay show's are special and unique. and i doubt anyone could handle that shit like we did.

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-ready to die
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Framamind
Charter member
1617 posts
Wed May-02-01 04:07 PM

40. "RE: roots vs okayplayer"
In response to Reply # 36

>2 whole new animals.
>
>u really think that 7 acts
>for the price of one
>(plus u got gugu?!?!?!?!) wasn't
>dope?
>
>maybe u thought it was dope,
>but i'd never compare the
>two. okay show's are special
>and unique. and i doubt
>anyone could handle that shit
>like we did.

Thanks for the clarification. And hell YEAH, 7 acts for 35 was indeed dope, dopest show I've EVER been to (still gives me chills).

You'll be back again, and I'll be there...

One World, Many Minds.

Framamind

J Dilla
Mpozi
GURU

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Thu May-03-01 05:40 AM

41. "good point..."
In response to Reply # 36

well this time i saw it from a different angle. at the okay show i was smack dab in the front. don't get me wrong quest, they were both tight. but this was the first time i got to see the roots perform alone.
i don't care about the $35 bucs and how many acts there are. i mean i paid $80 to see D and the soultronics and they had dead prez, dilated, j5 respectively at each show.

i loved all the shows. i guess i just felt different energy at each. so maybe you can't compare. but my point is the shit was dope, okay???

"The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can`t go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches."(c)??

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Tue May-01-01 06:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "mr writerfellow..."

spontanious???

for shame *brushes right index finger over left*

dream would NOT approve

sister sisters
i know u're watching me
there are alot of {games} reachin for u constantly
when u think u're grown
u enter the unknown
baby
check...yo'self
brace...yo'self
protect...yo'self
face...yo'self

~mayfield

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Tue May-01-01 01:10 PM

33. "Here's Tom"

Here's the pride (As in Lion's Pride)

http://members.home.com/handle1/wls/questdicetom.jpg

And Scratch, sorry but the photos of us didn't come out
But I did get a called from Hurricane from the Afros stating "Better Luck Next time!"

------------

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue May-01-01 01:14 PM

34. "RE: Here's Tom"
In response to Reply # 33

so is dice going to rock sports parephanalia of what ever city he is in now?? lol!

and got to love ?uest's face.

nice pic.

mcScoobySnack
Charter member
2759 posts
Tue May-01-01 03:49 PM

35. "i want that damn hat"
In response to Reply # 34

"practicing abstinence is easy...all you gotta do is be yourself"-my man jerry

the buspass pimp sextet is:
jaysawhn
justice
shortyWarfare
timmy hendrix
a cat named todd
and
my brother jahmal

where am i dissing you? that quote is only in my sig because it's a funny ass reply. Nowhere in that quote was there any diss towards you, and nowhere in my sig is there any diss towards you. And if you'd get your stupid ass out of okayartist sometime, you'd see that i've had that in my sig for a while. But i guess this is a diss to your subpar intelligence since you're an fucking moron. Good day. -IllWILL in response to Kyleeezeee's shenanigans

o

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed May-02-01 07:48 AM

37. "I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hustled my way in!
I woulda payed 35 just for the solo section!

JUSTICE
DPS ATTY GEN
S.P.A.S!!!!!
eLOD !!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Dad!

BUS PASS PIMPIN!!!!!!!!

I can smell it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16639 Previous topic | Next topic