Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16121

Subject: "Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"

The video coulda been like a Soulquarian impromptu jam session. The shots coulda been setup in the studio and maybe a li'smokefilled club. It woulda been off the hook!

Quest, Poyser and Jay Dee as the band, wit Jill Scott and Bilal setup as the background singers. Guest shots with Q-Tip, Mos Def, Kweli, Hi-Tek, Lucy Pearl, Erykah Badu, Pops, The (rest of) Roots, Vinia Mojica, Macy Gray etc.

The end of the song, when Bilal does his thing, would switch to a 70's type of feel...like a Marvin Gaye concert.

Now tell me this wouldnt have been a blazer!!!

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it sure would
May 15th 2001
RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video
May 15th 2001
May 15th 2001
May 15th 2001
UNIversal Beans
May 15th 2001
i feel y'all on the urban tip
souflow
May 16th 2001
too hot 4 tv......just ask label guy
May 15th 2001
woulda been a great single
May 15th 2001
co-sign n/m
May 15th 2001
yea, nothing is original anymore...
May 15th 2001
"Funky For You". . .
May 15th 2001
i feel you
May 15th 2001
      Damn, I dig u...
May 15th 2001
RE: here we go again
May 15th 2001
but...
May 15th 2001
RE: rebut...
May 15th 2001
?
May 15th 2001
      RE: answers
May 16th 2001
      Oh....
May 17th 2001
      RE: Sounds familiar
May 17th 2001
      RE: answers
May 21st 2001
      RE: ?
May 16th 2001
           RE: thanx dawg
May 16th 2001
           internet only
May 16th 2001
                RE: internet only
May 16th 2001
                     i preferred...
May 17th 2001
                          RE: that was way more than $5000
May 17th 2001
                               was it!?
May 17th 2001
                                    note to self
May 17th 2001
                                    pick one up for me
May 17th 2001
                                    RE: it was 6 figures.
May 17th 2001
                                         SIX FUCKING FIGURES!!!??!?!??!????!!!
May 17th 2001
                                         unfucking-belivable
May 22nd 2001
RE: tinky got my back!!!
May 17th 2001
?!?!?!!!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!...
May 21st 2001
      RE: ?!?!?!!!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!...
May 21st 2001
RE: "Common Sense" prevails
May 17th 2001
we had fun
May 15th 2001
I KINDA LIKE IT.....
mrvuks
May 15th 2001
is it too late?
May 15th 2001
May 17th 2001
alotta response
May 17th 2001
bottom line with the Ghetto Heaven Remix for me:
May 17th 2001
Well, duuuuhhh!
May 18th 2001
huh?
May 18th 2001
I REMIXED FUNKY 4 U
May 18th 2001
fuck lucy pearl and macy gray
May 18th 2001
Lucy Pearl???
May 21st 2001
The ?uestions
May 21st 2001
are you joking?
May 22nd 2001
May 23rd 2001

loryn
Charter member
14996 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "it sure would"
In response to Reply # 0

it would have made a bangin single too--i know several people that would have eaten it up.

5.12.01--mos def concert. arguably the best day of my life.

okayoungins-we put some stank on it.

"If I don't like it, I don't like that don't mean that I'm hatin"--Common

ask away http://www.formspring.me/elledub

http://www.loryncwilson.com

tweet me up: @elledub_1920

Roi Boi
Charter member
5382 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah it would have been better than "the light" remix video.

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Tue May-15-01 09:18 AM

14. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 2

>Yeah it would have been better
>than "the light" remix video.
>
There wuz a "The Light" remix video?? or are you talkin about "Ghetto Heaven"?

Feel my "Notic" shit
http://members.blackplanet.com/babyfacedbandit

"Touch Dis, El-e-phant, Dyn-a-mite!!!"

"I know I'm twisted, but fuck it...I like it like dat" - Scrapluv

"One day, I WILL be featured, but for now...I'll just lay the chorus" - Scrapluv

crystalised
Charter member
313 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 0

In an ideal world!!!Sounds too good to be true.

"if you want to feel me baby, better be divine" - Erykah Badu

------------------------------

"dont make me bite your face, coz its not like I like the taste" - Vast Aire

UNIversal Beans

Tue May-15-01 06:39 AM

4. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 0

No doubt man....fresh idea.....most people felt that song was kinda weak.....but it just was what it was.....funky for u .....cause, as long as it's funnnkyy allrightttt okayy.........

souflow

Wed May-16-01 07:46 PM

24. "i feel y'all on the urban tip"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm sayin the whole campaign made ya wonder i guess, i'm sayin if he went plat regardless, do you decide whether he went mainstream off of who his appeal was to or simply by the fact that platinum sales don't necessarily denote an 'underground' tip anymore?? regardless, anyone who wasn't feelin funky 4 u .. needs to do like parliament funkadelic said and get they ear up to the speaker. . .

-- i've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened -- m. twain

-- now i let my heart be the guide as the pen takes the lead in secreting these feelings i bleed over lines on papyrus sheets. . they preach savin the trees, but WHAT about the REAL emcees?? -- souflow

-- you fake like a smile, like a hug, i'm tight -- common "hungry"

-- actually, we don't participate, but if you do, then ima see you atcha wake -- T3, slum village "players"

-- separate the real from the lie, lemme learn ya-- mos def "thieves in the night"

-- YOU don't even wanna know what I think...now sigh and say 'doh' -- homer's brain on the simpsons

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "too hot 4 tv......just ask label guy"
In response to Reply # 0

All of this and more is 4 U/With love, sincerity and deepest care/My life with U, with U, I share – for you
I play the fool when we're 2gether/But I cry when we're apart, yeah/I couldn't do U no better/Don't break what's left of my broken heart, baby –why you wanna treat me so bad
In my daddy's car/It's U I really wanna drive – dirty mind
Here we are looking 4 a reason/4 U 2 lay me down/4 a love like ours is never out of season/So baby, please stop teasing me/Ooh, what U do, I can never love no other/U're the best I ever had, ooh/Whenever we're not close 2 one another/I just want U so bad – do me baby
Some people tell me I got great legs/Can't figure out why U make me beg/Does not compute/Don't not compute – something in the water does not compute
Dr. Everything'll Be Alright will make everything go wrong/Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill/Hang tough children- let’s go crazy
Everybody's lookin' 4 the ladder/Everybody wants salvation of the soul/The steps U take are no easy road/But the reward is great 4 those who wanna go - the ladder
U said the devil told U that another mountain would appear/Every time somebody broke your heart/He said the sea would one day overflow with all your tears/And love will always leave U lonely – mountains
I came and took your love, I took your body/I took the self-respect U ever had/I took U 4 a ride and baby, I'm sorry/The more U love me, sugar, the more it makes me mad – strange relationship
Come bathe with me – let's drown each other in each other's emotions/Bathe with me – let's cover each other with perfume and lotion/Bathe with me – ooh, let me touch your body till your river's an ocean/Bathe with me – let's kiss with one synonymous notion – when 2 r in love
Love - if U're there come save me/From all this cold despair/I can hang when U're around/But I'll surely die if U're not there – thieves in the temple
Sexy motherfucker shakin' that ass, shakin' that ass, shakin' that ass- sexy motherfucker
And by the stroke of midnight she wanted some more (more)/Showin' dirty movies like some kind of whore – dinner w/delores
Loving U in silence, knowing that it's right – soul sanctuary
2night, hey, I'm a movie star /I see myself on a silver screen, huh /2night, it don't matter who U are /I'm the only star on the scene / U know what I mean? - movie star
Now the moon and the sun belong 2 me/All my wildest hopes, my crazy dreams /But they seem more like reality- she spoke 2 me

My level is now what U must learn 2 rise above/Talk 2 D'Angelo or better yet ?uestlove/It might take (y'all) U some time, but U will learn 2 see/The undisputed truth and get free – Undisputed

keepers of the funk:
http://www.geocities.com/firefire100

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue May-15-01 07:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "woulda been a great single"
In response to Reply # 0

but sorry yo, that's a kinda cliche video. that's like "let's take digable planets and make it brighter, in full color." i'm all about creativity in videos, and yo, the tiny smoke-filled club? what is this, 92?

keep in mind, i'm not saying i fully endorsed the "ghetto heaven" video, because it really didn't go anywhere.

but "funky for you" is a HELL of a song, and it coulda made a ver visually interesting video. i still think the "ghetto heaven remix" was a HUGE mistake on the part of MCA records. sorry label guy, but it's true, "funky for you" woulda been another plaque. i also think it might have had more universal appeal than ghetto heaven, and while the remix had a HELL of a beat, i think funky for you woulda had more longevity, espec. on the radio and in the clubs.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
ILLWILL - Chi Ali! hahaha!!!
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

deacon
Charter member
3284 posts
Tue May-15-01 07:16 AM

7. "co-sign n/m"
In response to Reply # 6

"Your hair weave's lookin' kinda purty" R. Kelly

Sites that I contribute to:

http://www.livefrommemphis.com

http://www.geeksofdoom.com

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Tue May-15-01 07:20 AM

8. "yea, nothing is original anymore..."
In response to Reply # 6

just recycled wit a twist...The picture in my head woulda been kinda Digable-ish I guess but yea alot more colorful. Which woulda made post '92. Dont forget I mentioned the clips in the studio too, which woulda made it kinda original. I dont have any recollection of any videos like that.

Plus the theme of the video woulda been musicians in a jam session kinda vibe. Like..."hey we all in the studio, lets jam!" It just would have added to the vibe that they, the soulquarians, put out. It woulda been for the people that dont really go to the poetry spots, so they could get a feel of how it is.

I think most of this has been inspired by me going to poetry/jazz spots over the past year and being in the studio while my boys were recording their album. It has become one of my favorite things to do, so i'd like to see that on the idiot box.

Halo
Charter member
248 posts
Tue May-15-01 08:02 AM

9. ""Funky For You". . ."
In response to Reply # 8

. . .gets mad air time on my radio show. More and more cats call and ask about it the more I play it. (See, here in Tallahassee, there are so many lost people. They never hear this kind of music cause they don't know it exists. . .till we force it down their throats)

Peace.

~Halo

http://www.conceptlive.com (Coming Soon. . .gimme till the 20th)

". . .Picked up a fallen angel on the path that I MC,
familiar voice, come to find out the angel was me. . ." -Common

-----
imagine. conceive. embrace.
www.coldfingersolutions.com

. . .get touched

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue May-15-01 08:23 AM

10. "i feel you"
In response to Reply # 8

but i'm sayin, i think it's pigeon-holing to put out a common video that's supposed to be a "poetry spot." because that song is HIPHOP, not "poetry spot." i got no personal problem with any poetry cats, but i ain't really into that shit, and i sure as hell don't think it makes for a hot video. i like the studio shit though, because you never see that in a video really, and that could be much more interesting.

but i mean, that whole "organic jam poetry spot" thing just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, shit's so painfully cliche, the roots have spent the past 6 or 7 years trying to shake that image, i don't see why they should go out and reinforce it. it just feeds into all the jackasses who think that sampling isn't "real hiphop" and that BEP or arrested development is more hiphop than biggie.

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Tue May-15-01 11:10 AM

15. "Damn, I dig u..."
In response to Reply # 10

Now we cant argue, lol...Who thinks Arrested Development is more hiphop than Biggie? I need to go slap'em wit the butt of my gun!

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Tue May-15-01 12:59 PM

16. "RE: here we go again"
In response to Reply # 6

Man, I don't visit the site in a while, come back and I'm taking shots. Once and for all, I felt "Funky For You". MCA didn't remix "Geto Heaven", the artist did and we supported him on his decision. Macy came off the bench to do her thing when the first choice artist wasn't feelin it. Haven't we talked about this before?

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue May-15-01 01:35 PM

17. "but..."
In response to Reply # 16

what about funky for you as a third single? an album hits almost 700,000, the label can't put a third single out to push it platinum? i understand the remix was the artist's decision, i respect that, but isn't it essentially the job of a label to promote the highest possible sales? i'm not saying you personally or anyone at the label consciously decided to push the remix over funky for you, but i AM questioning why no one at the label made the push for platinum with a guaranteed banger.

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Tue May-15-01 04:02 PM

18. "RE: rebut..."
In response to Reply # 17

FACT: "Funky For You" would have been the 5th single & 4th video from the LWFC project. Name some most recent hip-hop artists that have had 4 videos from 1 album.

One thing you are not taking into account is the financial side of things aka "the bottom line" (money going out versus rate of sale, etc.) Unfortunately, out of respect for any artist I deal with, I never talk about their budgets, especially on the internet.

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue May-15-01 06:01 PM

19. "?"
In response to Reply # 18

>FACT: "Funky For You" would have
>been the 5th single &
>4th video from the LWFC
>project. Name some most recent
>hip-hop artists that have had
>4 videos from 1 album.

5th single?

sixth sense
light
ghetto heaven rmx

what am i missing? was "dooinit" actually a single? i thought that was a promo b-side for sixth sense, but maybe i'm wrong.

and frankly, i can hardly count the sixth sense, since i think i saw that video all of ONCE on BET, and it was probably the least successful primo single in a decade. because of when it came out, i think it acted like more of a promo single than anything else, i guess that wasn't the intention, but it sure didn't burn up urban radio.

>One thing you are not taking
>into account is the financial
>side of things aka "the
>bottom line" (money going out
>versus rate of sale, etc.)
>Unfortunately, out of respect for
>any artist I deal with,
>I never talk about their
>budgets, especially on the internet.

not unfortunate at all, i'm glad you don't discuss that stuff.

i'm not trying to come off like some snotty fucker who thinks he knows how it all works. i guess i'm making a 20/20-hindsight observation, that being that "funky for you" was the strongest radio track on that album after "the light," and that said track never saw the light of day. i guess i'd really have to take it up with the artists though, and since they've really got no reason to defend their decisions to me, it's a moot point.

can't none of yall deny though, that shit's catchy as hell.

"as laong as it's fonkay, awlraight, aokay"

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Wed May-16-01 11:23 AM

20. "RE: answers"
In response to Reply # 19

>5th single
Sorry I got technical on you. I counted "Dooinit" (promo) and made the mistake of including "Funky For You" (promo) because we sent out "Funky For You" 12"s and CDpros 2 weeks before we made the switch to "The Light".

>and frankly, i can hardly count
>the sixth sense, since i
>think i saw that video
>all of ONCE on BET,
>and it was probably the
>least successful primo single in
>a decade.
BET didn't bang it cuz the head of programming changed the game for all acts to where the amount of video spins is determined by radio spins. "6th Sense" was obviously a song for the headz and not the radio. If he would've come radio first the headz would've squawked. By the way the "6th Sense" 12" single has sold MORE than "The Light" 12".

because of
>when it came out, i
>think it acted like more
>of a promo single than
>anything else, i guess that
>wasn't the intention, but it
>sure didn't burn up urban
>radio.
A record that sounds like "6th Sense" that would never blow up urban radio unless the whole game changed.

>i'm not trying to come off
>like some snotty fucker who
>thinks he knows how it
>all works. i guess
>i'm making a 20/20-hindsight observation,
>that being that "funky for
>you" was the strongest radio
>track on that album after
>"the light," and that said
>track never saw the light
>of day.
Once & for all, I wanted "Funky For You". The artist, A&R, & President believed "Geto Heaven Pt. 2" would take him to platinum by expanding his audience more mainstream and that "Funky For You" would limit him at urban radio. Hindsight is that the attempt to go mainstream was premature....should've stayed urban and built more of a solid base there. Video with Jill....

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

conesbitt1
Charter member
1080 posts
Thu May-17-01 07:41 AM

26. "Oh...."
In response to Reply # 20

jill was the 1st choice! She probably thought if she did the vocals, they would change their minds and get Ms Badu!!

IF ITS TIGHT, THEY WILL COME.....
IF ITS TIGHT, MAINSTREAM WILL COME.....

FAVORITE VERSE OF THE MONT

nigga, stop being so got damn selfish..put in ya pelvis@ Andre 3000

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now

www.myspace.com/darkaqua_30

SirLau
Charter member
5517 posts
Thu May-17-01 10:01 AM

32. "RE: Sounds familiar"

LG, your response sounds very familiar to something I said in one of our earlier exchanges. But sincerely bro, I appreciate you being up on here giving the labe point of view.

Sir Lau

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon May-21-01 08:03 AM

45. "RE: answers"

>Once & for all, I wanted
>"Funky For You". The
>artist, A&R, & President believed
>"Geto Heaven Pt. 2" would
>take him to platinum by
>expanding his audience more mainstream
>and that "Funky For You"
>would limit him at urban
>radio. Hindsight is that the
>attempt to go mainstream was
>premature....should've stayed urban and built
>more of a solid base
>there. Video with Jill....

Shouldn't this be the ultimate goal all of the time...

peace..

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Wed May-16-01 02:54 PM

21. "RE: ?"
In response to Reply # 19

>
>5th single?
>
>sixth sense
>light
>ghetto heaven rmx
>
>what am i missing? was
>"dooinit" actually a single?
>i thought that was a
>promo b-side for sixth sense,
>but maybe i'm wrong.
>
>

Remember they did a video 4 "Heat" also, I think that is the one people overlook

Feel my "Notic" shit
http://members.blackplanet.com/babyfacedbandit

"Touch Dis, El-e-phant, Dyn-a-mite!!!"

"I know I'm twisted, but fuck it...I like it like dat" - Scrapluv

"One day, I WILL be featured, but for now...I'll just lay the chorus" - Scrapluv

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Wed May-16-01 03:14 PM

22. "RE: thanx dawg"
In response to Reply # 21

yeah, that one too.

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Wed May-16-01 06:15 PM

23. "internet only"
In response to Reply # 21

that shit don't count.

seriously.

internet only shit doesn't count.

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Wed May-16-01 08:06 PM

25. "RE: internet only"
In response to Reply # 23

But it was the hottest $5000 video ever though!

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Thu May-17-01 09:42 AM

27. "i preferred..."
In response to Reply # 25

the dice raw flash video.

didn't prefer the song or the album.

but the video was HOT.

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Thu May-17-01 09:49 AM

29. "RE: that was way more than $5000"
In response to Reply # 27

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Thu May-17-01 10:11 AM

34. "was it!?"
In response to Reply # 29

how much does something like that cost!? because i'd think when you're not paying any actors, no camera crew, no rented spaces, in fact nothing but flash designers, it would cost somewhat less than a video with all of the above. am i wrong? does a 4 minute flash design cost THAT much!?

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu May-17-01 10:36 AM

35. "note to self"
In response to Reply # 34

go to bookstore, get Flash tutorial book...

RED
I'm like that guy who used a pointed stick instead of a rock.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu May-17-01 05:56 PM

39. "pick one up for me"
In response to Reply # 35

6 figures???? did the animators have to commute to Paris every day to work?

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Thu May-17-01 04:09 PM

37. "RE: it was 6 figures."
In response to Reply # 34

barely though. a lot of dough to not be seen.
LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Thu May-17-01 05:32 PM

38. "SIX FUCKING FIGURES!!!??!?!??!????!!!"
In response to Reply # 37

six figures for four minutes of flash animation!??!?!??!?!!!!??!??!? that's fucking ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. i mean, it was a GREAT video, if it had gotten some actual TV play it woulda been a huge hit, but damn, 6 figures!? how many animators did that thing, 50!??!?!

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Tue May-22-01 09:15 AM

50. "unfucking-belivable"
In response to Reply # 37

Much love,
Kyle

go vote for me, cause i'm extreme and deserve to be on TV..oh yeah, and i'll buy tara something too

http://bluetorch.tv/host/voteforme.asp?id=41472

let ang be a rock star! no more moderating for her!

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

SirLau
Charter member
5517 posts
Thu May-17-01 09:56 AM

31. "RE: tinky got my back!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

Preach on!!!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon May-21-01 04:02 AM

44. "?!?!?!!!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!..."
In response to Reply # 16

MCA didn't
>remix "Geto Heaven", the artist
>did and we supported him
>on his decision.

wendy goldstein anyone?

the source mic ratings 1990-2001

@@@@@
-edutainment (funny in the annivrsery issue they left this out...but i have the ice cube issue when they first started rating albums)
-people's instintive travels and the paths of rhythm
-amerikkka's most wanted
-let the rhythm hit em
-all for one
-de la soul is dead
-the low end theory
-illmatic
-life after death
-aquemini
-niggaz4life* (not reveiwed but in summer issue 92 they mentioned it as a 5mic classic)

@@@@1/2
-sex and violence
-buisiness as usual
-business never personal
-whut thee album
-breaking atoms
-death certifacate
-buhloone mindstate
-the chronic
-enter the 36 chambers
-southernplayerlisticadillacmusic
-ready to die
-the infamous
-only built 4 cuban links
-illadelph halflife
-hell on earth
-bow down
-i am
-murder muzick
-life story
-classic limited edition vol 1
-guerilla warfare
-in my lifetime vol.3
-la rock familia
-ecleftic:two sides to a story
-moment of truth
-supreame clientel
-last of a dying breed
-the truth

the gag mics-
fear of a black planet-@@@1/2
da shinin-@@@
stankonia-@@@@
lootpack-@@1/2
ressurection-@@@1/2
the beatnuts-@@@1/2**
mos def and talib kweli are black star-@@@1/2
the love movement-@@@1/2
fantastic vol 2-@@@1/2

*-source never reviewed, but mentioned in summer issue that it was a 5 mic classic.

**-the only record to change a rating after printing. in the next issue they printed (in fine print that it was a @@@@ mic album)

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:13 AM

46. "RE: ?!?!?!!!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!..."
In response to Reply # 44

oh yeah her......she was trying to make anything happen at that point to get the hounds off.

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG

SirLau
Charter member
5517 posts
Thu May-17-01 09:55 AM

30. "RE: "Common Sense" prevails"
In response to Reply # 6

Finally somebody willing to admit that the GH remix was a train wreck!!!

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Tue May-15-01 08:36 AM

11. "we had fun"
In response to Reply # 0

with the Geto Heaven/Funky For You debate.

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=7339&forum=general1&archive=yes#55

Bottom line: MCA didn't make 'em do Geto Heaven.

RED
I'm like that guy who used a pointed stick instead of a rock.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

mrvuks

Tue May-15-01 09:00 AM

12. "I KINDA LIKE IT....."
In response to Reply # 11

THE IDEA OF FUNKY4U W/ THE LINE UP... WOULD SPOTLIGHT THE SOULQ.,
RE-BRUSH THE SOUL ERA COMIN OUT OF HIP-HOP, EVERYBODY WOULD BENEFIT... WELL.... OFCOURSE THE ONLY ONES THAT WOULD BE COMMENTING NEGATIVE WOULD BE THE ONES (NOTFEELINIT2BEGINWITH) THAT HAVE BEEN TALKIN S#*T FROM THE START OF SOULQS.

I'M HEADNODDIN THIS ONE...

http://www.localhiphop.com/jaydee/index1.html
I'MA SEE IF YA'LL READY..... RIGHT NOW!

I DON'T GIVE A GOOD F**K WHAT YOU KNOW, OR WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW
I'M GOING TO TORTURE YOU ANYWAY! -(THE CLASSIC.) RES. DOGS

loryn
Charter member
14996 posts
Tue May-15-01 09:07 AM

13. "is it too late?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it too late to make it a single? I'm sayin though...

-Loryn

5.12.01--mos def concert. arguably the best day of my life.

okayoungins-we put some stank on it.

"If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hatin"--Common

ask away http://www.formspring.me/elledub

http://www.loryncwilson.com

tweet me up: @elledub_1920

KOONTZILLA
Charter member
652 posts
Thu May-17-01 09:45 AM

28. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 0

MAN, I AGREE TOTALLY..... THAT BILAL SONG IS THE JOINT; IT TOOK ME TWO MONTHS TO LISTEN TO THE REST OF THE ALBUM CAUSE I WAS STUCK ON THAT SHORT SONG.....

"Niggas mad cause Ibrags about the cash I got, but I'm used to not havin alot, I'm from the gutter and ohh..."-Jay-Z

"Expensive shoes worn, Loui Viton see-through gone, CoChes, my face is like a coupon..."Jay-Z

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu May-17-01 10:06 AM

33. "alotta response"
In response to Reply # 0

These are the most responses Ive gotten on a post. Now if i can just find the secret, i can be loved and reverred by all okayplayers!!! HA

yea, I'm corny at times...but whateva

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Thu May-17-01 12:39 PM

36. "bottom line with the Ghetto Heaven Remix for me:"
In response to Reply # 0

1) Macy Gray is just annoying to me. The voice, the clothes, the attitude, everything. So, yes I wasn't probably going to feel it from the beginning, but nonetheless she annoys the crap outta me.

2) The remix is hands down worse the the original. I never understand this. I mean, the song could have been really really good, and STILL not lived up to the original. I love the LP version. Commons verses are still great, but there weren't any improvments

3) The video was pretty cool, with the whole swirly shit, but it smacked with crossover effort. I'm not going to judge this action or anything, I mean he has to do what he has to do, and I respect this, I'm just saying, when its obvious, I don't like it. What happened to the "ghetto" heaven. I don't think it there was anything bad about it, but it was exactly what it was supposed to be: one last try at a plaque, and thats cool, but I'd like to not be able to tell this. I don't know, I 'm probably just over analizing it.

4)Common's clothes. I usually like how he dresses, really. But with the combination of everything else, it was too much. I don't think he should change who he is, but in combination with macy, the soft look of the video, the particular beat, it will end up hurting hurt him with close-minded folks.

5) It came out after the light. I know Com isn't some thug, but too pull back to back lovey songs, again will turn some people away. I wouldn't have felt this way about the original though.

All in all, I don't disrespect common for any one thing he did IN the song or video, just the fact that he did a remix. If Macy was on the original that would have been one thing, but to switch it, I just didn't feel that

Peace,
Total...

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Fri May-18-01 11:23 AM

40. "Well, duuuuhhh!"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know what they were smokin' when they picked The Light and Geto Heaven instead of Funky 4 U and Time Travelin.

---------------------------------------
AIM - sirknowze

http://www.theonion.com - America's Finest News Source (really)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Fri May-18-01 02:37 PM

42. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 40

you think they should have done funky and time travelin over the light and ghetto heaven? i say light and funky, but you're calling for time traveling over the light here. are you NUTS!?!??!?! i mean, it's a great track, one of my favorites, but it is NOT a hit single. the light KILLED the radio. you must be kidding....

V I V R A N C E 2001:
TinkyWinky - Posdnuos
Vivrant - q-tip
bfnh - dres
guinness - ju-ju
Mosaic - common
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Ali Shaheed
Nickelz45 - psyco les
Raina - monie love
Phil - Jarobi
Donwill - trugoy

--

DJGENESIS
Charter member
236 posts
Fri May-18-01 01:45 PM

41. "I REMIXED FUNKY 4 U"
In response to Reply # 0

...STILL WAITING ON MCA TO LISTEN 2 IT

------------------------
http://www.djgenesis.com
my website
http://www.submerge.com
deep electronic music

mika_muyo
Charter member
21389 posts
Fri May-18-01 08:28 PM

43. "fuck lucy pearl and macy gray"
In response to Reply # 0

they are not soulquarians and macy gray has officially always sucked.

****http://members.blackplanet.com/mika_mik/****

->Nore:"I'll sneeze in your food/To show you I'm rude."
that's shit is so absurd it's classic
Courtesy of DonKnutts

No clit clutching please.(c) L_O_Quent

'i dont get many compliments/but i am confident' Talib Kweli

'i rather die with my dignity before i bow to my enemy'-Fred Hampton Jr.

'some people try to front like 'i aint feelin it really'/but thatz silly cuz how the fuck you cant feel me...' BT

'WHAT GOES WITH PIE?! MILK MILK!!! WHAT GOES WITH BEANS?! MILK MILK!!!' milk commerical

'now thats the real'me

It was like, I aint know whether to clap or be offended, so i clapped with a frown...- Geah

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Mon May-21-01 10:15 AM

48. "Lucy Pearl???"
In response to Reply # 43

Whats ya beef wit them? I understand people's beef wit Macy, it took me awhile b4 I use to her voice(her back up singers deserved a bonus check). But whats wrong wit Lucy Pearl? That cd was really good.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:23 AM

47. "The ?uestions"
In response to Reply # 0

should've been released as a single (radio only)

and Song for Assata should've been the next video

time traveling should've got love too

my thoughts though

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Tue May-22-01 09:14 AM

49. "are you joking?"
In response to Reply # 47

the ?uestions was one of the weakest tracks on the album

funky for you was bananas...

Much love,
Kyle

go vote for me, cause i'm extreme and deserve to be on TV..oh yeah, and i'll buy tara something too

http://bluetorch.tv/host/voteforme.asp?id=41472

let ang be a rock star! no more moderating for her!

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, email me through the boards...Or use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

sugarflyy
Charter member
4403 posts
Wed May-23-01 09:43 AM

51. "RE: Common's "Funky For U" woulda been a ill video"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, it would have been ill, just let me be the girl passing out kool-aid during breaks. Hee hee hee

America is a dead ho. -Dick Gregory

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16121 Previous topic | Next topic