Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16027

Subject: "?uest's interesting comments in Rolling stone concerning new direction/ ..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Tue May-29-01 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"?uest's interesting comments in Rolling stone concerning new direction/ ..."

in the new issue of rolling stone, there is a snipit about the area:one festival and Mr. Love had to say this:

"Since The Roots are readying a new album for release next year and lead lyricist black thought will put out a solo record this fall, the group has a backlog of new material in its set. 'I've been doing a lot of experimentation with electronica and drum-and-bass,' says drummer ?uestlove. 'And I want to get the jam band in us out there. We're going to really take advantage of our 45 mins, and, hopefully, we'll get out of this 'best group you've never heard of' category.'"

cool! the drum-and-bass direction sounds like a really interesting one. Finally, there will be some more uptempo roots songs. I love the high energy, explosive ending of "you got me" feat. Jilly on "come alive." And, hopefully, he will be correct and they will get out of the "best band youv'e ever heard of category!" good luck this summer ?uest! o btw, does anyone know who they are taking with them to sing "you got me?" are they gonna use nelly furtado?" that would be interesting... in a cool way...
peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
aim: okayplayerDROots
OKAYOUNGINS UNITE!!!- zero
okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.
OFFICIAL OKAYOUNGINS LIST: dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots-albinomexican - llness - okaymattd - daila - Homerilliad404 - Essaywhuman-Goldenwon - preach - Hersheybit-brown_thought - naame - akweykan -Carmia - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn-Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD-TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - RipRapRoad - Adrenaline - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS - ICE - 6thSenses - Okayplayer619 - Yunique - okaykelc - wolfie

"i can't express myself like this and that, because this doesn't come out like that."- Jimi Hendrix

"I'm morpheous in this hip hop matrix, exposin' fake shit."- Common Sense

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: ?uest's interesting comments in Rolling stone concerning new directi...
May 29th 2001
hahaha. well, he kept all of his options open n/m
May 29th 2001
quote clarification
May 29th 2001
ignorance
May 29th 2001
well maybe if it is heard...
May 29th 2001
      RE: well maybe if it is heard...
May 30th 2001
           AAAAARRRGHH!!! ELECTRONICA!!!
May 30th 2001
                Area One Detroit
May 30th 2001
                RE: Area One Detroit
May 30th 2001
                RE: AAAAARRRGHH!!! ELECTRONICA!!!
dobiewonk
May 30th 2001
                dude, get mtv amp vol.2
May 30th 2001
shameless-self-posrt-promotion aka "up!"
Jun 01st 2001
"the jamband in us"?
Jun 01st 2001

worldwise
Charter member
1122 posts
Tue May-29-01 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: ?uest's interesting comments in Rolling stone concerning new directi..."
In response to Reply # 0

interseting...i don't remember where i read this but shortly after 'you got me' came out i remember ?uest saying something like 'don't expect me to stay with this drum and bass shit' or something like that...

www.myspace.com/djworldwise

DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Tue May-29-01 12:34 PM

2. "hahaha. well, he kept all of his options open n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OFFICIAL OKAYOUNGINS LIST: dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots-albinomexican - llness - okaymattd - daila - Homerilliad404 - Essaywhuman-Goldenwon - preach - Hersheybit-brown_thought - naame - akweykan -Carmia - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn-Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD-TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - RipRapRoad - Adrenaline - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS - ICE - 6thSenses - Okayplayer619 - Yunique - okaykelc - wolfie

"i can't express myself like this and that, because this doesn't come out like that."- Jimi Hendrix

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Tue May-29-01 03:26 PM

4. "quote clarification"
In response to Reply # 1

i kinda remember -- he said something like "don't expect me to be drumming like this (d n b) @ 50"...

anyway, Area One's gonna be dope if i can get to it (California, here i come -- Bugs style) ... and it would be cool as hell to see an actual band play d n b type stuff over 45 minutes.

O <---- c~

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Tue May-29-01 03:21 PM

3. "ignorance"
In response to Reply # 0

a lot of our okayplayers aren't willing to open up to drum & bass and electronica.

3030 show:
http://24.18.168.183:554/ramgen/encoder/okayplayer.ram

DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Tue May-29-01 04:01 PM

5. "well maybe if it is heard..."
In response to Reply # 3

"disguised" in the form of the roots, and no one knows it is drumandbase persay, then maybe people will open up a lil bit. i, personally don't dig all electronica, but some of its pretty tight. Mtv amp vol. 2 is a good sample of it.
peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

djlada
Charter member
3688 posts
Wed May-30-01 03:04 AM

6. "RE: well maybe if it is heard..."
In response to Reply # 5

Okayplayers who's interested in checking out some electronica should try a new compilation called Braindance, on Rephlex Records. The label is co-owned by Aphex Twin, and they've been putting out a lot of interesting stuff the past ten years or so. Also, most releases on Warp are pretty darn good. Especially a new artist they're putting out called Prefuse 73, sounds sort of like a hip hop Aphex Twin. As for drum'n'bass, Ming & FS outta New York has some ILL d'n'b/hip hop crossover material, the kinda stuff that even the most narrow minded hip hop fan should be able to feel.

new shit! (link re-upped and running ...)

http://rapidshare.de/files/5982112/01_Spor_1.wma.html

"Wild & Free (Todd Terje Night Version)"
-Snuten feat. Fox N Wolf
twelve inch out (very) soonish

jeraldao
Charter member
370 posts
Wed May-30-01 05:03 AM

7. "AAAAARRRGHH!!! ELECTRONICA!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

i feel the drum n bass, but...i' ma say it again AAAAARRRGHH!!! ELECTRONICA!!! well do it, not 2 much

"Smooth is cool, but its never as cool as anything that is raw" okayplayer unohoo

WeesA
Charter member
40 posts
Wed May-30-01 08:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Area One Detroit"
In response to Reply # 7

Roots and Outkast will mix up the fest a bit. Plus... if ?uest is down to play some more like how he said he wouldnt... so effing what. NO matter what it will be dope, so let the man play, plus all of it is along with the same motif of Area One... so hey.
peace
l

-Weezy

"Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart of life, and is prophetic of eternal good."
- Francesco Petrarch

worldwise
Charter member
1122 posts
Wed May-30-01 11:55 AM

11. "RE: Area One Detroit"
In response to Reply # 8

>Roots and Outkast will mix up
>the fest a bit. Plus...
>if ?uest is down to
>play some more like how
>he said he wouldnt... so
>effing what. NO matter what
>it will be dope, so
>let the man play, plus
>all of it is along
>with the same motif of
>Area One... so hey.
>peace
>l

i'm not going to be as close-minded to say that it's good or bad for him to play the ish so don't get your panties in a bunch...i was just sayin what i heard....

i think i trust ?uest enough to realize that he would never compromise hip-hop for the sake of what's in or what has the potential to reach another group of people(i hate the word crossover)

www.myspace.com/djworldwise

dobiewonk

Wed May-30-01 09:08 AM

9. "RE: AAAAARRRGHH!!! ELECTRONICA!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

electronica by itself SUCKS...drum and bass, I dig that shit...

combine drum and bass wit old school classic soul, ya got a winner.....hopefully thats how the ish will go down...

but FUCK ELECTRONICA....actually, thats a closed minded statement, but based on what I have heard I support it full heartedly.

DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Wed May-30-01 11:48 AM

10. "dude, get mtv amp vol.2"
In response to Reply # 7

it's like a beginners introduction to what electronica/dnb is like. it has remixed songs on there by the jungle bros. chuck d, method man, and tracks by fatboy slim(that famous rockefeller skank, which got old fast), lo-fidelity all stars, and the classic dnb track "brown paper bag" by roni size. The first half of the album is pretty normal-listener friendly, but the second half is where more real electronica bands have tracks. i.e. air, propellerheads, etc.
peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DROots
Charter member
1311 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 06:25 PM

12. "shameless-self-posrt-promotion aka "up!""
In response to Reply # 0

peace
mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE REDSOX WILL NOT FALL INTO A SLUMP THIS YEAR!! WHY? the timing of NOMAR

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jun-01-01 07:05 PM

13. ""the jamband in us"?"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks like that thing they did with Phish guitarist for the movie is rubbing off.

... could be interesting. I always wanted to see them do more instrumental jams/jazz-type of thing.

love and respect,
El Rey

dedicated to preserving and sharing the music, dance and stories of the African diasporic experience: http://www.wemba-music.org

SUPPORT GOOD MUSIC: http://www.mp3.com/Esthetics

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #16027 Previous topic | Next topic