Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15581

Subject: "Black Star Album????" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BiG_K_WoRDS

Sat Jul-14-01 07:00 AM

"Black Star Album????"

I'm sure everyone knows about this... but does anyone know an approximation of when it's coming out, who's producing, and who may be guest starring on it? Hit Me Back.

- K Words

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Black Star Album????
Jul 14th 2001
Stop waiting
Jul 14th 2001
Patience
Sonador
Jul 14th 2001
RE: Patience
Leo
Jul 14th 2001
      Just to clarify things
Jul 14th 2001
           live and let live
Jul 15th 2001
           RE: Just to clarify things
Jul 15th 2001
RE: Stop waiting
Jul 15th 2001
Jul 15th 2001
Concept123
Jul 15th 2001
Jul 16th 2001
dis/beliefs
Jul 15th 2001
believe it
Jul 16th 2001
      Four Years!?!?!
Jul 16th 2001
           No No No
Jul 16th 2001

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Sat Jul-14-01 07:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Black Star Album????"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know when it will be coming out but I do know it will be on MCA rather than Rawkus.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Sat Jul-14-01 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Stop waiting"
In response to Reply # 0

That's my advice. Go get yourself some nice psychotherapy, so that you can banish the memory of Black Star from your mind.

It's going to be a loooong wait. By all indications Mos is releasing two albums BEFORE the Black Star album. Kweli is working on HIS solo now too. I'm pretending that the group never existed, so that I can preserve my sanity.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say mid to late 2K2. To put it in perspective: Common, The Roots and Black Thought will ALL have released albums by the time we start to hear rumblings about a new Black Star project.

And to be real with you, I'm kind of torn on this. Should they give the people what they want and throw the Black Star project into their already hectic schedules? Or should they wait until they've got this other stuff out of the way so that they can sit down and make a cohesive classic.

I tend to hope for the latter, even though the long wait is torture. I figure the only thing worse than NO Black Star album is a BAD Black Star album, and that's exactly what we might get if they don't give the effort the proper effort.

In the meantime, listen to Mos and Kweli's various b-sides and collabos. I'm certain one of the Mos projects will make it out by fall/winter (a lot closer than it sounds). Mos is supposedly gonna be on the new Macy. Common and Thought are well on their way to being finished (?uest said Thought is 95% done with the recording). 5 new Kast cuts in December.

In other words: give up, new stuff is coming, but it looks like Black Star albums are on the 4 year plan.

PS

I think I wrote that for myself as much as for you.

"You were a stillborn baby/ mother didn't want you/ but you were still born/ Boy meets world/ of course his pops is gone/ What you figure?/ That chalky outline on the ground is your father figure?" -- Vast Aire

Sonador

Sat Jul-14-01 02:42 PM

3. "Patience"
In response to Reply # 2

The pain is real, but I have to agree . . . a long wait will hopefully be well worth it once the two have time to dedicate time to another Black Star LP.

In the meantime, I think that the future remains bright . . . many are already starting to hate on Mos, but I have a feeling that those same pessimists will be bumpin' his new music when it drops.

Kweli is on a good tip too. It will be interesting to see what he creates on his own. He's got the talent.

Leo

Sat Jul-14-01 02:58 PM

4. "RE: Patience"
In response to Reply # 3

How in the world can ANYONE hate on mos? perhaps the most musically gifted emcee that exists, he's one of the few cats that can sing with soul and rhyme with ferocity. and his message and music speak for themselves. just cause the man is taking some time to perfect what he gives to the public should be no reason to hate'im. to those that are hating....i'm not tryin to start beef....just saying that patience is a virtue...and with patience ultimately comes the most satisfying of rewards.

.o0Leo0o.

"i ain't no perfect man, i try to do the best that i can with what it is i have." -mos def

"At exactly which point do you start to realize, that life without knowledge is, death in disguise? that's why knowledge of self is like life after death, apply it to your life, let destiny manifest." - talib kweli

"...we might find something that we weren't looking for, which might be just what we were looking for, really."
- winnie the pooh

Jekyll_Hyde
Charter member
1670 posts
Sat Jul-14-01 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Just to clarify things"
In response to Reply # 4

I think people are hating on Mos because he's done commercials for big corporations and has appeared iced out at public events, not because he's taking his time to put out his albums.

I think it's stupid for people to hate on him for making a little dough. It has nothing to do with his music. People should get over it. The fact remains that he will put out a dope album, and all the haters will be riding his dick when it happens.

-------------------------------
Peace to all the OK Community!!
-------------------------------

Viva les Simpsons! (I'll try and change these every week)

Bart: I am through with working. Working is for chumps.
Homer: Son, I'm proud of you! I was twice your age when I figured that out.

Homer: Oh, twenty dollars. I wanted a peanut.
Homer's brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Homer Jay Simpson: Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Sun Jul-15-01 07:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "live and let live"
In response to Reply # 5

SERIOUS BUSINESS
http://www.imamjamil.com/

CHECK OUR NEW JAWNS
http://www.thejawn.com/krasdale
http://www.ventmag.com/krasdale/

and leave the Krasdale Kru a message:
in Atlanta at (404) 978-1262 x1184
in Los Angeles at (213) 401-2100 x6844
in San Fran at (415) 430-2161 x2258
in Wash. DC at (202) 756-4100 x9180
in Houston at (713) 590-2341 x5629
in New York at (917) 421-3901 x1725
in Chicago at (312) 777-4001 x5423

Thought twice, shoulda thought once
got played for the dunce- Malik B

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

reality
Charter member
3835 posts
Sun Jul-15-01 04:02 PM

10. "RE: Just to clarify things"
In response to Reply # 5

I agree with you 100% let mos live damn so what if he is making more cheddar and is making himself more known mainstream what is wrong with that.He's got to eat i think alot of people place to much emphasis on entertainers then when they don't do something they don't like they get dissapointed.I don't care what Mos does to me he is one of the deepest cat's in the game and he is not GOD he is human damn let him live.

BrothaJ
Charter member
1774 posts
Sun Jul-15-01 03:18 PM

7. "RE: Stop waiting"
In response to Reply # 2

>And to be real with you,
>I'm kind of torn on
>this. Should they give the
>people what they want and
>throw the Black Star project
>into their already hectic schedules?
>Or should they wait until
>they've got this other stuff
>out of the way so
>that they can sit down
>and make a cohesive classic.
>I tend to hope for the
>latter, even though the long
>wait is torture. I figure
>the only thing worse than
>NO Black Star album is
>a BAD Black Star album,
>and that's exactly what we
>might get if they don't
>give the effort the proper
>effort.

WORD UP!
We waited for D, right? Five years, and that brotha got love from the grammys. Not to say that Blackstar will at anytime win a grammy, but then again, why the hell not? The Roots got one.

Maybe we should start a grammy watch on all OK artists, just to start some shit. Start beefin when they get overlooked, like we "give a fuck about a goddamn grammy" (love to P.E.)

I'm still bumpin the Blackstar joint. Kweli got the banging track with Jonelle, "Round And Round" that reminds me of Kelis everytime I hear it (Damn you look good in that Busta vid).

"The truth is that you ugooly
not on the outside but in the inside
on the outside you frontin you luvooly"
-Pharoahe Monch

http://BrothaJ.com/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Put'em next to me...You say 'go'...I'll race'em...and I'll beat'em (c) Myzel Robinson, age 15

BrothaJ
Charter member
1774 posts
Sun Jul-15-01 03:22 PM

8. "RE: Stop waiting"
In response to Reply # 7

>Kweli got the banging
>track with Jonelle, "Round And
>Round" that reminds me of
>Kelis everytime I hear it
>(Damn you look good in
>that Busta vid).

I was drinking when I wrote that. I know it's Hi Tek

"The truth is that you ugooly
not on the outside but in the inside
on the outside you frontin you luvooly"
-Pharoahe Monch

http://BrothaJ.com/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Put'em next to me...You say 'go'...I'll race'em...and I'll beat'em (c) Myzel Robinson, age 15

Concept123

Sun Jul-15-01 03:25 PM

9. "RE: Stop waiting"
In response to Reply # 2

I heard a rumor that Mos is gonna have Trick Daddy on his album, I am still praying this isn't true.

Roi Boi
Charter member
5382 posts
Mon Jul-16-01 04:36 AM

14. "RE: Stop waiting"
In response to Reply # 9

>I heard a rumor that Mos
>is gonna have Trick Daddy
>on his album, I am
>still praying this isn't true.
>

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Jul-15-01 11:45 PM

11. "dis/beliefs"
In response to Reply # 0

I believe its done or damn near complete

I dont believe that mos would drop jack johnson and another solo before a new black star project

I dont believe that kweli would drop a solo (2002) before new black star

look for it later this year

or you can believe the offices of mca/rawkus will get phone calls cursing them out (then watch me try to get a job with either label in a year and a half - 2 years)

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Mon Jul-16-01 03:11 AM

12. "believe it"
In response to Reply # 11

I've seen Rawkus print ADS for Jack Johnson already. "Coming soon." I can almost promise you that project will be out before the Black Star.

Dude, it's almost August, we haven't heard a peep about it. It's not coming out this year. Label Guy was on here recently and I asked him about it, he says he (i.e. MCA) has no idea, and that the only people who know are Mos and Kweli. That means no one in their promotions, advertising or art direction departments know either. That means no album this year.

Banish them from your memory. Truthfully? I'm kinda more excited to hear Black Jack Johnson anyway.

"You were a stillborn baby/ mother didn't want you/ but you were still born/ Boy meets world/ of course his pops is gone/ What you figure?/ That chalky outline on the ground is your father figure?" -- Vast Aire

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Mon Jul-16-01 04:25 AM

13. "Four Years!?!?!"
In response to Reply # 12

Yo,

Know rapper has ever been able to predict what they'll be doing or where they will be four years from now. you might as well shelve that Next Blackstar right next to the next fugee album.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Mon Jul-16-01 04:41 AM

15. "No No No"
In response to Reply # 13

Man...that joint is supposed to drop in a week....I was talkin to Mos and Kweli jus the other day, the album is done and comin out next week on July 26th. They wanted to surprise everyone. Those fellas are funny ain't they??????

hehe...

ONE

------------------------------

'I walk the fine line between bein ill and bein sick...an you walk a fine line between bein bein a pussy an bein a bitch'

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15581 Previous topic | Next topic