Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #1442

Subject: "uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar time.." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar time.."
Wed Oct-27-04 02:08 PM

"din-net din da dint...din dant dint....(buum bumm) niinoerniinUNT

CONTROVERSY!" (prince)

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=04/10/14/4448566

if this is all it took....

sheeit...i might just make the most inflamatory shit ever!

but steve...when did your school get so damn right winged?---you aint spreadin your crunk message fast enough?

i guess they was like..."no john mayer?!? well show em!!!!!!"

lol....can i get an interview in the school paper so that i can start some shit?

hahahahahaha.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ronnie, talk to russia
Oct 27th 2004
gotta stop messing about
Oct 27th 2004
      this all seems irrelevant....
Oct 27th 2004
      RE: this all seems irrelevant....
Oct 27th 2004
      i thought 'the roots' were those hippie jazz guys
Oct 27th 2004
      so when is the song coming out???
Oct 27th 2004
      it came out in 1999
Oct 28th 2004
      lol he wrote "Grammy NOMINATED"
Oct 28th 2004
      maybe moby wrote this article.
Oct 28th 2004
      I thought this was going to be because
Oct 30th 2004
RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti
Oct 27th 2004
n/m
Oct 27th 2004
RE: n/m
Oct 29th 2004
Here's your culprit, ?uesto...
Oct 27th 2004
she got fronts, yo.
Oct 28th 2004
sexy.
Oct 28th 2004
what a beast...
Oct 28th 2004
Play my Brithney Spheres SheeDee...
Oct 28th 2004
LMAO@this chick....
Oct 29th 2004
MEGAN? wot'd shee saey?
Oct 29th 2004
RE: Here's your culprit, ?uesto...
Oct 29th 2004
!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 30th 2004
they do this every time
Oct 28th 2004
Oct 28th 2004
Oct 28th 2004
LOL
Oct 28th 2004
When are people going to realize......
Oct 28th 2004
I'm tryin to find this bitches E mail address
Oct 28th 2004
flood her ass with uplifting
Oct 28th 2004
RE: I found her info in the school directory...
Oct 28th 2004
      favorite band is tool! LMAO
Oct 28th 2004
It ain't really a controversy
Oct 28th 2004
you serious?
Oct 28th 2004
RE: This is just SGA politics
Oct 28th 2004
hate speech?
Oct 28th 2004
is steve still a mod?
Oct 30th 2004
we were told to inbox Dove
Oct 30th 2004
      I've been seen this...
Oct 30th 2004
           steve is so ghetto
Oct 31st 2004
                he got a red sox swagger
Oct 31st 2004
                     I WISH I WAS IN BOSTON....
Oct 31st 2004
I think I just saw this chick...
Oct 30th 2004
Oct 30th 2004
the controversy
Oct 31st 2004
the roots?
Oct 31st 2004
Nov 02nd 2004
Hi Karlena!
Nov 02nd 2004
thangs done changed
Nov 02nd 2004
did a google search and...
Nov 02nd 2004

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ronnie, talk to russia"
In response to Reply # 0

fix the link?

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 02:10 PM

2. "gotta stop messing about"
In response to Reply # 1

the whole shebang!

RIGHT WINGERS TARGET THE ROOTS IN MARYLAND

posted by One People's Project on Thursday October 14 2004 @ 06:40PM PDT

COLLEGE PARK, MD—On Nov. 14, Philadelphia hip-hop act the Roots will perform at Cole Field House at the University of Maryland, but not before they have to deal with some controversy sparked by some members of the Student Government Association (SGA). Those members are upset that the band is performing there because of what they consider their “inflammatory” message. The controversy had more fuel added to it when it found its way to a right-wing news service that noted that the band is supporters of Mumia Abu-Jamal.

According to the Diamondback, the student newspaper, SGA President Aaron Kraus campaigned last spring promising to sign an “A-List” band to play on campus during his first semester as president or resign. Bringing the Roots to the campus fulfills that promise. The Grammy-nominated Roots are one of the most popular hip hop crews today, and have been credited with building the “neo-soul” scene found in Philadelphia today. They are especially praised for shunning the misogynistic and materialistic language found in today’s hip hop, and have been involved politically particularly in community concerns. Often however, when those community concerns involve a greater populace hearing the concerns of African Americans, conservatives begin to find a voice against whoever is expressing them, and mount a campaign to silence them. That’s what happened this time. The group is being charged with inciting hatred and division with its lyrics by at least one member of the SGA. Meg Hatfield said she and other unnamed members of the SGA were upset by the decision to bring "offensive" and "inflammatory" messages to campus and contend that The Roots does not meet Kraus' "A-list" qualification. "I see it as a cause to try to express themselves as a culture, but by doing it in the manner they do, it causes reverse discrimination." Hatfield said. "Why is it okay to talk about the 'coming of the African American age?' If I talked about the 'Caucasian age', I'd be seen as racist and supremacist."

There was no love lost for the music either. "Of course it's inflammatory, but that's all rap is these days, I feel.” Hatfield said. “They are just another rap group in it for the cause.”

This is a story that found its way to the Cybercast News Service, a Brent Bozell-fronted organization that is a division of the Media Research Center, an organization that paints itself as one that goes after liberal bias in the media. CNS meanwhile is touted by the MRC as “is an indispensable on-line source for conservatives in the media”.

The CNS article added to the controversy the fact that the group supports Mumia Abu-Jamal, a former Black Panther and reporter who is currently on Pennsylvania’s Death Row for the December 9, 1980 shooting death of Philadelphia Police Officer Danny Faulkner. Evidence has been presented that suggests Mumia did not receive a fair trial, and may be completely innocent of the crime. For almost 24 years, there has been a worldwide campaign to get him off Death Row and for a new trial. It was only in the past five years that a counter-campaign comprised almost exclusively of white conservatives has found some strength and because of this, some liberals, including filmmaker Michael Moore have stood down so much that they have been able to go so far as remove town councilmen who have supported Mumia in the past.

The Roots have received this kind of attention from CNS because of a song they have yet to release titled Mumia 911. The song, which features cameos by Dead Prez and Public Enemy's Chuck D, has been termed by CNS as “hate speech”, who then notes that the University administration is not going to intervene and halt the show despite this. The CNS article is also framed around the fact that this event is funded by students. “Student Entertainment Events (the organization that promotes campus events) is funded by students' mandatory activities fees. Money is rationed out by the Student Government Association and goes to fund numerous student groups,” the article read. “Representatives from Student Entertainment Events did not return calls requesting comment, but the SEE website calls The Roots "one of hip-hops most popular, versatile, and critically acclaimed acts."

A search of the CNS Web Site did not reveal any articles questioning student fees being paid to inflammatory conservative speakers that appear on college campuses regularly. There were however a number of articles defending their freedom of speech. As of now, the Roots are still performing on Nov. 14, despite the controversy. Kraus said that them performing is an issue of free speech and that and "no matter who you bring, people are going to be upset."

The concert is open to the general public. Tickets to the concert are $28.00 and $14.00 for affiliates of the University of Maryland with a university-issued ID.

Lyrics to Mumia 911 by The Roots

Chorus: 2X (first time a capella) Somebody scream bloody murder, inside of my head The executioner’s plot controlled by the feds Take illegal action, they want Mumia dead This nation of savages been trying to kill us for years

Yo, federal indictment, militant mind enlightment Son, we outburst, in the court room, full of excitement Face the jury, thugged out, with blind fury They want us all under the jail, end of the story Brave and heartless, we can have a million marches But when you black you under attack, son regardless Live by the gun, dunn, and die by the gun And revolutionize minds until freedom come

Check it out, they wants och locked down boxed up in the ground It's war time now from how the sufferin sound We deep in the realm, the planet petrified overwhelmed We all stars livin life out on surveillance film New World law enforced, mind rape, cerebral holocaust No escape, fire for burn the execution date shatter, We on the front lines prepare I want Mumia out the cage the time for action is here

Yo, the attempted assassination of Mumia Jabal, they set'im up I come to find out, Tupac they wet'im up Pharaohe, standin behind my fucking curtains with a double-barrel rehearsin Ready for war now for certain Uh, biological warfare suits Black gas masks, black boots, half-assed niggas become troops My dunns are doper warriors than ?? now Plenty thug niggas are fruity now

Chorus: 2X

??? the illusion, cause I see my peoples losin The overall battle to keep Republic rats from chosin After all, I feel the bruisin of the constitution When my back's against the wall, manifestin in their destiny Shit they just testin me, Mumia's spirit blessin me No alibi, I know Allah is not their ally I believe I can fly, but their type of freedom is a lie So fuck the government, C.I.A. and F.B.I.

Shatan will destroy anything for the right price In a physical world one man cannot die twice To the spiritual world your soul cannot fly twice Yet could this be the second time they crucified Christ? Ask Ed Asner, the actor, after the execute'im There will be a peasant uprising like the French Revolution In conclusion, if you detect evil Free the voice of the voiceless, defender of oppressed people

I say, "fuck the police," cause they been killin us for years This ain't no free country, niggas get murdered for their ideas Free Mumia means all Africans let go Cause just livin in the ghetto puts you on death row You don't know? You seen how the tried to do Assata Till some real niggas organized theyselves and went and got'er Lotta crackers verbalize if Mumia dies, fire in the skies But only time'll tell the truth from the lies

Chorus: 3X

Last Updated ( Thursday, 14 October 2004 )

< SNAP!#8 out NOW! | National Coal Co. Takes Katuah EF! to Court >

flightrisk writes on Saturday October 16 2004 @ 04:20PM PDT:
"The Roots have received this kind of attention from CNS because of a song they have yet to release titled Mumia 911."

um, this song was released in 2000 on a compilation called "The Unbound Project, Volume 1."

One People's Project writes on Saturday October 16 2004 @ 04:53PM PDT:
Yes, someone sent us an email about that, so we made a correction on the website. We also were told of another compliation that came out later that also has the song. See, this is what we get for basing that bit of info on the damned CNS article! We apologize for that.

Jeremy writes on Wednesday October 20 2004 @ 09:57PM PDT:
THIS KIND OF FUSS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO MUMIA. WE NEED PEOPLE TO CALL AND EMAIL THE UMD GOVT, sgapresident@sga.umd.edu 301.314.8329, AND DEMAND JUSTICE. WE CANT LET THE RIGHT WING YOUNG FOLK SPREAD LIES ABOUT MUMIA. LET THE YOUTH KNOW THE TRUTH! CHECK OUT http://www.freemumia.com/youth_files/youth.html

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

LK1
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
1113 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 02:41 PM

3. "this all seems irrelevant...."
In response to Reply # 2

I mean... because of Mumia? What the hell? A track that hasn't been released? odd...

***I'm a Child of Production***

bassndaplace
Charter member
11692 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 11:50 PM

9. "RE: this all seems irrelevant...."
In response to Reply # 3

>I mean... because of Mumia? What the hell? A track that
>hasn't been released? odd...

exactly!

www.scottstewartphotos.com

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 07:44 PM

7. "i thought 'the roots' were those hippie jazz guys"
In response to Reply # 2

who'da thought?

actually i'm kind of surprised they didn't call you out for having rapper named 'black thought' on some "if i was a rapper called 'white thought', i'd be considered racist.." type bull

y'all gotta do a special hip hop 101, now..

thembi
Member since Feb 05th 2003
9009 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 07:45 PM

8. "so when is the song coming out???"
In response to Reply # 2

freedom of speech right dumb ass crackas

the world is a toll-free toilet-george clinton

FrancisC
Charter member
875 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 03:20 PM

28. "it came out in 1999"
In response to Reply # 8

Mumia 911 was a benefit EP that came out five years ago. It wasn't even a Roots song, Black Thought just contributed a verse (along with Chuck D, Pharoahe Monch, Jean Grae, dead prez, and a whole heap more). The reporting here is hysterically bad - my guess is that they just downloaded a mislabeled mp3 and failed to do any checkup on it. The funniest thing is that they didn't even include Thought's verse in their transcript of the song!

And I agree with Shockzilla, The Roots should definitely pull out a special Hip Hop 101 when they do this show...

Francis.

"Why do they say I changed for a girl
Why you worry about my clothes if my flow gon change the world
Why you wait 'til you're 30 to try to be hard
Why I gotta have religion if I believe in God
Why is Bush acting like hes trying to get Osama
Why don’t we impeach him and elect Obama
Why ain't Rick James remembered for classic hits
Why do we remember Rick for smackin' a *****
Why did Ricky Williams retire, they mad in Miami
Why did Justin sell Janet out and go to the Grammys
Why you kill on every song while you frown at the screen
There's so many thrones, why we argue who is the king
Why it's over for the gangsta, why it's over for bling
Why they hype Britney up, they know she can't sing
Why a whip and a chain the black American Dream
Why I know it in my heart, it remains unseen"
-common.muthafuckin.sense.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 01:26 AM

10. "lol he wrote "Grammy NOMINATED""
In response to Reply # 2

Didn't y'all take home that mug???

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:34 AM

14. "maybe moby wrote this article."
In response to Reply # 10

SoleMan
Charter member
1079 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 12:37 PM

35. "I thought this was going to be because"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Oct-30-04 12:37 PM

of the break off bush commercials with the Roots track.

"My GPA at Georgia Tech? I don't know. My SAT scores bad." -Steph

ouesh
Member since Mar 07th 2004
633 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti"
In response to Reply # 0

i hope you get that interview with the school paper.
wow people really do have thorns in their arses?!?

www.theparkmusic.com

Clark Kent
Member since Feb 06th 2003
4379 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 05:09 PM

5. "n/m"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-27-04 05:12 PM

Thats retarded. Death to the right wing, fuck it, death to all wings.

NICE TRY KOWALSKI

In Rotation-
quality music all the time.

onanothalevel918
Member since Dec 22nd 2003
710 posts
Fri Oct-29-04 01:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "RE: n/m"
In response to Reply # 5

hear, hear...

about photography I know nothing...

~ Henri Cartier Bresson

Photographer

Kno of CunninLynguists
Member since Oct 25th 2002
1632 posts
Wed Oct-27-04 06:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Here's your culprit, ?uesto..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you imagine her saying all that with the voice of Stan from South Park's older sister, it's even funnier.

http://128.8.198.200/sgaelections/images/candidates/Meghan%20Hatfield.JPG

DIRTY ACRES
featuring Devin The Dude, Phonte Coleman and Witchdoctor and Big Rube of Dungeon Family.

11-27-2007

http://myspace.com/cunninlynguists

Jehan
Charter member
10000 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "she got fronts, yo."
In response to Reply # 6

|Fliteweight|

Science_Fiction
Charter member
42096 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:35 AM

15. "sexy."
In response to Reply # 6

[]

With all due respect...
ask around.

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 05:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "what a beast..."
In response to Reply # 6

peace

los79
Charter member
4311 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:37 PM

27. "Play my Brithney Spheres SheeDee..."
In response to Reply # 6

Ayatollah Watts
Member since Jul 29th 2002
2920 posts
Fri Oct-29-04 11:43 AM

30. "LMAO@this chick...."
In response to Reply # 6

she should come to the show and educate herself...

@TheBlackZappa

Rubbert Kolly
Member since Oct 28th 2004
612 posts
Fri Oct-29-04 12:40 PM

31. "MEGAN? wot'd shee saey?"
In response to Reply # 6

i meen...hehehe...nawt gilltee.

http://twitter.com/rubbertkolly
http://amzn.com/1401928358

gitt oll ur rubbert murchindice att http://www.cafepress.com/RubbertsStoar !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapped_In_The_Closet

stip on thhu nome uv luff!

donnt beliief j.z. thay hadd gunnz yo

onanothalevel918
Member since Dec 22nd 2003
710 posts
Fri Oct-29-04 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "RE: Here's your culprit, ?uesto..."
In response to Reply # 6

wow...

okay, okay...

haha...lmao....whatever, whatever...

where's the real pic?

about photography I know nothing...

~ Henri Cartier Bresson

Photographer

fwmj
Charter member
33136 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 06:33 PM

37. "!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

| www.fwmj.com | www.fwmj.com/word | www.fwmj.com/x | www.ohsonappy.com

"i think you know my homey, too... i.d.? he says you're a cool motherfucker - contrary to whatever else i hear." - Quidom

----------------------------------------
www.fwmj.co
@fwmj

gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:04 AM

12. "they do this every time"
In response to Reply # 0

something hip-hop comes...imagine what kanye endured...
now im not going to joine on homegirls fronts, or the crazed look in her eyes....but, ah fuck it....

stop spreading your bad "roots"

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
<--- Mos DEF we are FRESH!

:::..Please check out the website below, and if you get a chance..YOU would REALLY WANT to see this lovely lady perform LIVE!!!!!!!...Thank you..:::
http://rebelradiomusic.com/rebelmain.html

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/6200937- my spot is warm & toasty

www.mn8online.com

"I Like Lazy Bitch Days" -Jean Grae

****Simmon****

www.solitaire007.com ....swash
has some hot graphics on there check it!

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 02:23 AM

13. "RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti"
In response to Reply # 0

You should know them cats at Univeristy of Maryland are crazy, they're in Maryland!
They got beef over that song from the "Unbound" compilation, damn homie! Is this gonna change what you perform at the show?

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

temps2020
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8780 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 03:06 AM

16. "RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck these right wing mutherfuckers. Play the fuck outta Maryland.

How ridiculous do these students sound. So much hate in their words. Go have some phone sex with Bill O'Reily.

"Why is Bush actin' like he tryin' to get Osama? Why we ain't impeach him and elect Obama? -- Common, Why Remix

Badgers Football in '04!

"Relaxed like Dru Down's hair" --Common

"Who the f**k said that? That is some one of those ridiculous things...shit is thicker than blood…you can take all those stupid things and stick them up your ass! Life is about the love of God." --Rick James (R.I.P.)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

In the IPOD:
1. The Foreign Exchange - Connected
2. Little Brother - Chitlin' Circuit Mixtape
3. Nicolay - City Lights Vol. 1
4. Iomos Marad - Deep Rooted
5. Immortal Technique Vol. 2
6. Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer
7. Talib Kweli - The Beautiful Struggle
8. Jean Grae - This Week
9. Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
10. Little Brother - The Listening
11. One Man Army - Project Fetus
12. UGK - Ridin' Dirty
13. 9th Wonder - God's Stepson
14. The Roots - The Tipping Point
15. Longshot - Sacrifice
16. De La Soul - The Grind Date

Rome_Dome
Member since Jun 09th 2003
391 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 07:07 AM

23. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 16

@ "Go have some phone sex with Bill O'Reilly"

I'm usin that response from now on to any conservatives that piss me off past the point of rationalizing.

"Con-science and metaphors will slow up the dough."

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 03:08 AM

17. "When are people going to realize......"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-28-04 03:19 AM

..... that rap music isn't just one thing?

Her statement that "that's all that rap is" is just flat out ignorant.

Forget her. She's just mad they didn't book the Indigo Girls.

Band website: http://www.regeneratedheadpiece.com
Band MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/regeneratedheadpiece
Personal MySpace Page: http://profiles.myspace.com/users/743193

Blog: http://bluenatic.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bluenatic
Tumblr: http://bluenaticfringe.tumblr.com/
MSG column archive: http://bit.ly/bgV4T6
Facebook: http://www.face

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 05:08 AM

19. "I'm tryin to find this bitches E mail address"
In response to Reply # 0

gimme some time...
peace

daveyg
Charter member
9336 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 06:25 AM

21. "flood her ass with uplifting"
In response to Reply # 19

organic jazz spiced emails....it's the only way to beat'er

in remembrance of simmon

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akw

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 09:25 AM

24. "RE: I found her info in the school directory..."
In response to Reply # 19
Thu Oct-28-04 09:29 AM

But I'm not gonna broadcast her info out her like that.

PS: But I don't feel bad posting her website: http://www.wam.umd.edu/~meghat/scholars.html
===========================================
-Me

---
Love,
Nopayne

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 11:32 AM

26. "favorite band is tool! LMAO"
In response to Reply # 24

like all of tool's lyrics are squeaky clean! busted face hypocrite.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 05:31 AM

20. "It ain't really a controversy"
In response to Reply # 0

They have one person of questionable intelligence cquoted as un happy and now there is suppose to be a controversy? Keep playing.

We use to discuss why there ain't a white history month in middle school.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black
physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers and 5,000 black dentists.
Guess how many black athletes are playing professional basketball, football
and baseball combined. About 1,400. In fact, there are more board-certified
black cardiologists than there are black professional basketball players.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

daveyg
Charter member
9336 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 06:27 AM

22. "you serious?"
In response to Reply # 20

>We use to discuss why there ain't a white history month in
>middle school.

i'm astonished at my friends who don't understand why bet and black history month isn't racist. "why dont' we have a white entertainment network?" i just laugh, i try to explain that cbs was originally named that, but they never believe me.

in remembrance of simmon

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akw

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 09:26 AM

25. "RE: This is just SGA politics"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't let that ruin the show for us common folk
===========================================
-Me

---
Love,
Nopayne

thislovejawns
Member since Oct 21st 2004
381 posts
Thu Oct-28-04 05:08 PM

29. "hate speech?"
In response to Reply # 0

people nowadays are calling everything with any association to race a hate crime or hate speech

public enemy had problack material but was never labeled with hate speech. neither was tupac (was he? there was always a buzz about the violence in his lyrics, but i can't seem to recall it ever being called hate speech.. either way, certainly not anymore)

also, the article was very one sided and only concentrated on the point of views of a few individuals

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 06:45 AM

34. "is steve still a mod?"
In response to Reply # 0

not like him to let a post to him pass him by without a smart alek comment.

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 08:22 PM

38. "we were told to inbox Dove"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat Oct-30-04 08:23 PM

i got love for the lil homie but he lunchin'

artist needs another moderator from the ranks homie

this will always be the flagship of the boards

steve need a hypeman, he cant run all his lyrics in one breath

help him help us help the boards

wow they actually erased my post about this from last week?

*reminds self im fasting, Im Fasting, IM FASTING!!!*

hoist

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 10:35 PM

40. "I've been seen this..."
In response to Reply # 38

I just didnt want to respond.

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Sun Oct-31-04 02:38 AM

41. "steve is so ghetto"
In response to Reply # 40

but still from baaaastin talkin bout
"i BEEN seen this..."

lol
hahahahahahahahaha!

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Sun Oct-31-04 04:19 AM

42. "he got a red sox swagger"
In response to Reply # 41

his ass was prolly faded from celebration all this time

steve got a legit reason to be a derelict now

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sun Oct-31-04 07:05 AM

43. "I WISH I WAS IN BOSTON...."
In response to Reply # 42

I think PG county MD has fucked up my entire swagger and created a new hybrid swagger

Ayatollah Watts
Member since Jul 29th 2002
2920 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 01:16 PM

36. "I think I just saw this chick..."
In response to Reply # 0

in Greenbelt..

@TheBlackZappa

naturalqt
Member since Feb 12th 2004
254 posts
Sat Oct-30-04 09:52 PM

39. "RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Oct-30-04 09:53 PM

shhyyyt, the Roots are more than welcome to come do a show just 30 minutes away from UMD at Bowie State University...its a small HBCU that no ones heard of, but won't be any CONTROVERSY

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Sun Oct-31-04 11:49 AM

44. "the controversy"
In response to Reply # 39

beong able to pay them to perform

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Sun Oct-31-04 05:21 PM

45. "the roots?"
In response to Reply # 0

the fucking roots?

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

iwantmycheez
Member since Nov 02nd 2004
785 posts
Tue Nov-02-04 07:17 AM

46. "RE: uh steve? WTF you got me into mayne? (air guitar ti"
In response to Reply # 0

Hate to bring this back up again...but I was reading one of the campus papers (Terrapin Times...conservative, I believe) and they printed the lyrics to Mumia 911 and it pissed me off. So, I wrote a letter to the editor. (As the editor of one campus paper to another, I probably shouldn't have...but they needed to hear something). I told them they're being irresponsible by holding the group accountable for the expressions of others...they told me I was wrong. But they'll print my letter in their next issue. A small victory, I suppose. Sigh...I now begin my quest to make the Black Explosion better than the Diamondback, Terrapin Times and another other paper on UMCP's campus...

--------------------------
Pay attention -- it's free

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Tue Nov-02-04 09:12 PM

49. "Hi Karlena!"
In response to Reply # 46

I have no words... none

stylus
Charter member
636 posts
Tue Nov-02-04 09:10 AM

47. "thangs done changed"
In response to Reply # 0

When I was a Terp on the yard, there was beef about Khalil Muhammad coming to campus, or us protesting the loss of the Banneker scholarship.

When my older homies were on the yard, they were sleeping out on McKeldin Mall trying to get the school to divest from South Africa.

Now folks are beefing about The Roots.

Wow.

.:|djstylus|:.
www.vibeconductor.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Nov-02-04 01:31 PM

48. "did a google search and..."
In response to Reply # 0

...i couldn't come up with any roots lyrics talking about the "'coming of the African American age" like the right wingers alleged. where did they get that from?

____

Please vote this year. Thanks.

Freedom Writer EP still available at Capital City Records (10th and U NW) and Brian McKenzie Infoshop (9th and P NW), for those who live in DC and/or give a fuck (ha).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #1442 Previous topic | Next topic