Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #12973

Subject: "Roots at Eurweb.com" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 05:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Roots at Eurweb.com"

I can still never figure out why it takes 2 people to write their articles...

*shrug*

http://www.eurweb.com//articles/headlines/02042002/headlines558302042002.cfm

QUEST SHOWS US SOME LOVE
Roots drummer tells us what's up.
by Ricardo Hazell (additional reporting by Chianti Phillips)

The Roots
(Feb. 4, 2002) *The current neo-soul growth is bringing many closet Hip-Hop lovers out into the dawn's early light. There are artists out there whose musical genius cannot be held back by the confines of "what's hot."
Some would argue that the Roots are responsible for bringing the underground sound once reserved for coffee shop chicks and breakdancing kids to the masses. We had the absolute pleasure of running into Roots drummer Questlove at a recent event and he agreed to talk for a spell.

"Hello, I'm Questlove, chairman and founder of the Roots," said Quest as he introduced himself.

The primary subject that was on his mind was record label exploitation of artists.

"The record industry is not designed to benefit the artist. It's designed to benefit the label, but the Roots will not be stopped. Even through clenched teeth we will continue to promote, to the best of our ability, our sixth opus entitled "Phrenology." That will be June 29, 2002." (For those that are not knowing, phrenology is the study of the skull, based on the belief that it is indicative of mental faculties and character.)

Whenever the Roots come out with a work, people listen. They've been given the honor of going home with a Grammy and the whole nine, but Questlove says things are still hard most of the time.

"Anything I put my name is going to be done to the best of my ability. Sometimes it feels like you're doing this thing in vain, and you're not getting the proper respect ... but it's just part of the bump and grind associated with the record label. At the end of the day the legacy I leave behind is important to me. I won't let my personal gripes come between my product and my label."

Even though Questlove is a musical purist, a brother gotta eat sometime. When we ran into him it was on the set of a Coca-Cola commercial he is involved in. The new Coca-Cola commercial series is geared toward the neo-soul movement.

" shooting three commercials for Coca-Cola. "They're doing a neoclassic series featuring music geared toward the neo-soul movement, of which we are a part of. You know, I'm honored to be here, I feel as though the Roots are the foundation of the neo-soul tree and I think it's a great opportunity to expose our artist, Jaguar, who's on our label. It has also given us a chance to work with the great choreographer, Fatima."

Hold up (wait-a-minute)! Jaguar Wright has been getting a lot of buzz ever since she began appearing with the Roots on several road occasions. Once upon a time they said "Who Is Jill Scott?" but this time Questlove is trying to make sure folks know about Jaguar.

"Jaguar Wright is an artist we developed in our Black Lily series, which is a showcase we have in Philly. She jumped on stage one night and took control ... it was as simple as that. We do this every weekend in Philly at a place called the Five Spot. We built Black Lily as a place to try to nurture home talent and develop them. It's through the Black Lily workshop that we are able to help people grow. A lot of artists don't even come out with demos. They do background parts on other people's album and the next thing you know pushing them out on stage to go on tour. There's really no development, no preparation. , we just provided her with a background where she could practice her skills."

And practice she did. Jaguar Wright's new CD was recently released on MCA Records. Meanwhile, look out for the Roots' Coca-Cola commercial as well.

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Roots at Eurweb.com
Feb 04th 2002
Actually...
Feb 04th 2002
RE: Roots at Eurweb.com
Feb 04th 2002
uh oh spaghettio's!
Vinegar
Feb 04th 2002
*cough, cough, cough*
Feb 04th 2002
      u need some tussin
Vinegar
Feb 04th 2002
           RE: u need some tussin
Feb 04th 2002
                tell the bartender to fix me one too
Vinegar
Feb 04th 2002
                     RE: tell the bartender to fix me one too
Feb 04th 2002
wow
Feb 04th 2002
RE: wow
Feb 04th 2002
umm click on artists
Feb 04th 2002
      RE: umm click on artists
Feb 04th 2002
           RE: umm click on artists
Feb 04th 2002
                Importantly? Hmmm? That's right
Feb 04th 2002
the jazzy journals
Vinegar
Feb 04th 2002
      basically
Feb 04th 2002
      RE: the jazzy journals
Feb 04th 2002

marsmunny
Charter member
1127 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 06:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Roots at Eurweb.com"
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't this what Mercedes was talking about? This article makes ?uest sound like an egomaniac. (booming voice from heaven) "I am ?uestlove. Chairman and founder of the Roots. This is my son. The Black Lilly. Marvel at what I have created."
Mercedes just went on a rant about stuff like this.

and just why did it take two people to write this article?
---------------------------------------------------

And don't forget:
to know me is to love me
to love me is to hate me
to hate me is to not know me at all

It wasn't supposed to make sense.
Wisdom is as wisdom does.

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 06:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Actually..."
In response to Reply # 1

>And don't forget:
>to know me is to love
>me
>to love me is to hate
>me
>to hate me is to not
>know me at all
>
>It wasn't supposed to make sense.

It makes perfect sense.

Have a Cunty Fresh day!

http://www.tankgreen.com

http://www.supergrub.com

http://www.recordkingdom.com

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

Mercedes
Charter member
88 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 06:55 AM

3. "RE: Roots at Eurweb.com"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you. This is exactly what I was talking about. Enough said.

Mercedes

Vinegar

Mon Feb-04-02 10:07 AM

4. "uh oh spaghettio's!"
In response to Reply # 0

distilledblack
www.smartalecmusic.com
glitterglistenglossgloss

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 10:45 AM

5. "*cough, cough, cough*"
In response to Reply # 4

can't (cough) stop (cough) coughing and (cough) doesn't know (cough) why????

"I'm like Aquaman and Brownhornet, Imhotep but don't flaunt it" - the mighty Black Thought

"We.. (puff, puff) gotta make some changes ya dig? (puff, puff) I mean... dayum... brothers gotta work it out (puff, puff)... What's this a Dutch? Damn you aint

Vinegar

Mon Feb-04-02 10:53 AM

6. "u need some tussin"
In response to Reply # 5

i need a kleenex

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 10:56 AM

7. "RE: u need some tussin"
In response to Reply # 6

hahahahhahahaha...

"I thank I'm gon need a drank"
Morris Day 1984

"I'm like Aquaman and Brownhornet, Imhotep but don't flaunt it" - the mighty Black Thought

"We.. (puff, puff) gotta make some changes ya dig? (puff, puff) I mean... dayum... brothers gotta work it out (puff, puff)... What's this a Dutch? Damn you aint

Vinegar

Mon Feb-04-02 10:58 AM

8. "tell the bartender to fix me one too"
In response to Reply # 7

we might be sitting here a while...

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:12 AM

9. "RE: tell the bartender to fix me one too"
In response to Reply # 8

"Huh, two please?... and one for the lady?"

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

i thought dove was doing some mosaic-level sarcasm, but i clicked the link and it's an actual article. wowzers. "chairman and founder of the roots"? LOL. um, doesn't he mean co-founder (with thought)? ah, well. it's all to the good, i guess.

as for the black lily thing...i don't know the history of it, so i can't speak on it. i thought it *was* quest's idea, but i could be perfectly wrong (not like that's a one-time occurence...heh).

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

Blackalicious is gonna kill 2002....exhibit A is the link below http://www.mcarecords.com/web_assets/blackalicious/audio/00_paragraphprez_auf.ram

exhibit b of blackalicious illness is below...
http://www.mcarecords.com/web_assets/blackalicious/audio/00_makeyoufeel_auf.ram

I love em, I'm street teaming without being asked. LOL!!!

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back

Abolitionist Movement representing...

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:27 AM

11. "RE: wow"
In response to Reply # 10

so who's Mercedes and how does she fit into all of this?

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "umm click on artists"
In response to Reply # 11

clicn on jazzyfatnastees

click on bio's

and most importnatly READ

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:37 AM

13. "RE: umm click on artists"
In response to Reply # 12

"most importantly read"...
hmm... no comment...

so she's got beef too huh? Very interesting.

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:38 AM

14. "RE: umm click on artists"
In response to Reply # 13

of course the irony is he spells 'importantly' incorrectly yet he wants me to read.

PlucK
Charter member
488 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 05:33 PM

18. "Importantly? Hmmm? That's right"
In response to Reply # 14

How'd you spell it?

Vinegar

Mon Feb-04-02 11:50 AM

15. "the jazzy journals"
In response to Reply # 10

i hadn't read them in a while, but er um, wow

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:51 AM

16. "basically"
In response to Reply # 15

[]

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Feb-04-02 11:56 AM

17. "RE: the jazzy journals"
In response to Reply # 15

damn... that bad... (sorry B... was just kidding dun...)
well damn.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #12973 Previous topic | Next topic