Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #12382

Subject: "Kweli with Dr. Dre!?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 04:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"

now i'm a fan of both artists, but does anyone else think this would be a hit-or-miss scenario at best? i just can't see any kind of dre production, whether it's primarily scott, or mel-man, or dre himself, working with kweli's delivery. maybe i'm unfairly slotting scott, but his keyboard sounds tend to favor emcees with either deep or distinctive voices, and i think many would agree that voice might be kweli's biggest shortcoming. maybe i'm wrong, i dunno. and i'm STILL waitin on scott for the call on our proposed "Too Tuff Jew (minus one)" project. shit man, i told you i'd convert if it was a problem!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?
EloquentWax
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 29th 2001
EloquentWax
Mar 30th 2001
interesting!
AfricanHerbsman
Mar 28th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 28th 2001
hate much
Mar 28th 2001
RE: hate much
Mar 28th 2001
ya'll Trippin
Mar 28th 2001
      RE: ya'll Trippin
canudigit
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 28th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 29th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
                ain't you at the roots website?
Mar 31st 2001
      wait, wait...
Mar 28th 2001
           well said n/m
Mar 29th 2001
           RE: wait, wait...
Mar 30th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 28th 2001
      new school rules?
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 28th 2001
Mar 30th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 29th 2001
           who made that rule
Mar 29th 2001
                RE: who made that rule
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
                RE: who made that rule
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
                     Wasn't always
Mar 30th 2001
Apr 01st 2001
Mar 29th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
Mar 30th 2001
walnut_jackson
Mar 30th 2001
RE: ?UEST WITH "BONE"?
Mar 28th 2001
boner from growing pains nm
Mar 28th 2001
      RE: boner from growing pains nm
Mar 28th 2001
Question:
Mar 29th 2001
Did I Miss Something?
Mar 29th 2001
from the update wednesday:
Mar 29th 2001
RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!? (aight, chill)
dj_crafty
Mar 30th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
Faith in the artist
dj_crafty
Mar 30th 2001
RE: Faith in the artist
dobiewonk
Mar 30th 2001
okay, out with it....
Mar 30th 2001
RE: okay, out with it....
Mar 30th 2001
Dr_Gonzo
Mar 30th 2001
Pharoahe Monch
Mar 30th 2001
Dr. Dre is so WACK!
Mar 31st 2001
      Yeah, well...
Apr 01st 2001
BRINGthaRAWKUS
Feb 11th 2002

EloquentWax

Wed Mar-28-01 04:46 AM

1. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 0

i happen to like kweli's voice.
i think that the convergence of his rhymes and the dre staff (yeah, staff, let's not fool ourselves) would be good.

has anyone heard anything else about rakim supposedly recording his new album on dre's imprint?

jideff215
Member since Aug 05th 2002
6850 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 06:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 1

kweli's lyrics are tight, and dre usually has banging beats, i'm looking forward to it.

rakim and dre are working together now. i heard their collab is gonna tear shit up. they both said it will be the best album to drop in a while

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

ficus
Charter member
5134 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 18

Yeah, the new Rakim record is going to be called
"Oh My God!" Premier is going to be working on it
too. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

F

--
"I'm up early 'cause ain't enough light in the daytime"

Pimp C

EloquentWax

Fri Mar-30-01 03:37 AM

28. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 18

>they both said it will
>be the best album to
>drop in a while

well, of course they did.

AfricanHerbsman

Wed Mar-28-01 04:48 AM

2. "interesting!"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the translation.

I'm hesitant too.

hopefully the doctor's perfectionism can come through.

salvage something, cause he picks his acts well.

seize your time! - marley/wailers

spitting out words & thoughts that are amorphous - lateef/latyrx

dobiewonk

Wed Mar-28-01 04:56 AM

3. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Why Would Kweli even downgrade his shit like that??? Dr. Dre is a fraud, he dont do shit no more......he might make a beat or two but thats bout it....Check da credits for the chronic 2. Jay-Z and eminem wrote all those rhymes for him.....and I bet Mel Man did most of the production, or dre wouldnt even have acknowledged him....and Mel Man still aint gettin the shine.

besides, Id take a hi-tek beat over Dre tired ass shit anyday....no question....

Fuck Dre.....Go write a rhyme nigga!!!! how you gonna have jay-z write a song for you and dedicate it to ya dead brother????? thats bogus as fuck.....besides, everybody know Suge made dre wear pantys underneath them Dickies!!!!!!!

Kweli and Dre.....WTF???? Naw dawg, that aint kosher one bit.

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 05:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "hate much"
In response to Reply # 3

peace...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

MaineRapKingB
Charter member
2184 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 05:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: hate much"
In response to Reply # 4

Really

I know Dre doesnt write much but if the album liner notes say he made the beat HE made the beat.

Have you heard the new Eve "Let Me Blow YOur Mind" and Snoops "Lay Low". Dre stays tight with the times.

Support your favorite rappers, check the blog for the latest from QB's Nature

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 05:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 5

Anytime two artists with contrasting styles and abilities can come together and show a lil solidarity ya'll can't give them props. All you okayniggas talkin about unification and spirituality and all that come togeva shit. But these two bruvas want to do some art togeva and everyone trippin. WTF!!
OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE AND WAKE UP!! STOP PUTTIN SHIT IN CATEGORIES. LET ART BE ART!! NERDS!!!
paces
PS3

THIS IS DEDICATED TO DA HIP HOP NERDS AND THOSE HOOCHIE BADU's

"She said she thought that rap was only gunz and alcohol/I said oh HELll naw/but yeah it's that too/you can't discrimihate cause you done read a book or two."--Possum Alleywicius

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

canudigit

Wed Mar-28-01 06:49 AM

7. "RE: ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 6

atleast somebody is seeing the big picture...

keep it moovn!

Ricochet
Charter member
20023 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 07:04 AM

8. "RE: ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 6

>
>OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE AND WAKE
>UP!! STOP PUTTIN SHIT
>IN CATEGORIES. LET ART
>BE ART!! NERDS!!!
>paces
>PS3
>
>THIS IS DEDICATED TO DA HIP
>HOP NERDS AND THOSE HOOCHIE
>BADU's

Couldnt be said better...thats the truth right there people. Kweli and Dre will be some hot shit. "NIGGA HOLD THAT!!!"

OKAY Uncle Ricochet- Giving You True Wisdom Since 2001

Shouts 2 Da One Shot Fam

"If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that i'm hatin'"- Common

Can I get a freakin record deal!!!

"I stay on ya mind like great sex, you ain't on my mind i'm thinkin bout pay checks"- Jay Dee

F--- a quote.

http://members.blackplanet.com/RickRude

http://www.rap2000.com/mcbios/r/ricochet.shtml

Hit me up @ AIM: RicochetDaEmcee1

http://chegrand.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-havent-given-up-this-place-just-yet.html

dobiewonk

Wed Mar-28-01 08:02 AM

10. "RE: ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 6

you got a point...im trippin....But at the same time, unlike the rest of the fuccin world on Dre's scrotum, I cant let that type of shit ride!!!!!!

Would yall still fucc wit Premo if yall found out somebody else was behind those ill ass Beats?????

Would yall still respect ya boi BLACK THOUGHT(for all yall hardcore OKP's)if yall found out jay-Z wrote his lyrics?????
hmmmmmmmmm.......

Maybe yall just dont give a fucc about being real wit da skill no more....maybe I should just start ghostwriting and making tracks for wack ass niggas to blow up wit.....

Since nobody respects true artistry no more...where has the integrity of hip hop gone?????? in the pockets of the execs...thats where....

Tonytrouble27
Charter member
325 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 12:32 PM

22. "RE: ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 10

Dre's steez has changed so much over the years that I believe he would have no problem finding a beat to match Kwali's vocals. One of the great things about Hi-Tek is that none of his beats sound the same, or formulaic.Kwali is always able to fit the beat that Hi-Tek lays down. Kwa has even said that he didn't take "Name of the Game" seriously until he started to play around with it, which shows his versitility. Dre definitely has a certain sound, but he does switch it up to fit the emcees that he is working with. Can you imagine any other emcee that Dre produces for rocking over "X" ther than Xzibit. Or how about "Hennisey and Buddha?" I don't think a producer of Dre's caliber would have a problem working with a great emcee such as Kwali.

You live at home with your moms.

-Kool Keith

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 03:53 AM

30. "RE: ya'll Trippin"
In response to Reply # 22

ha ha, aint nothing wrong wit chillin wit ma dukes!!!!! and as far as dre's style changin up,....his shit used to bang wayyyyyyy harder back in the day.......Chronic 2 cant even piss on the same tree as the original chronic....two entirely different dogs......And as for dre's production, I knew mel man helped him, but now im hearin that some cat named scott did still Dre, and some otha shit fo him. So I ask you, WHUT THE FUCK IS DRE DOING?????? Using his name to blow the shit up, thats all....DRE IS NOTHING MORE THAN AN ICON,A NAME AT BEST....

yeah, he used to do some hot shit, still does hot shit on occasion, but,yall gonna kill me on this one, I say ICE CUBE is a way better producer than DRE.......HELL, BATTLECAT would fuck dre shit up anyday.... but DRE is the shit?????

NAW DAWG, SOGGY COOKIES DONT CRUMBLE like dat....

-ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS Ya DADDY........

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 10:18 AM

48. "ain't you at the roots website?"
In response to Reply # 30

but now im
>hearin that some cat named
>scott did still Dre,

I hope you know what you're talking about here...if not...funny ass reply....

(psst. scott storch was the roots keyboardist before kamal !..he's the funky ass jewish boy..)

Kyle

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 09:14 AM

11. "wait, wait..."
In response to Reply # 6

i know you may not have been talkin to me, but that's definitely NOT what i was sayin. i got love for kweli of course, but this was more me questioning his ability to rhyme over dre's beats. i KNOW the dre camp makes hot shit, i'm not an idiot. i think kweli is a frighteningly good lyricist, i just wonder if he has or will ever have the tight delivery he'd need to rock over the aftermath camp's production.

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

leaf
Charter member
1351 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 10:16 PM

26. "well said n/m"
In response to Reply # 11

Can I dig it?...
YES YOU CAN!!
Can I DIG it?...
YES YOU CAN!
Well I'm gone...

www.OHHLA.com

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 11:19 AM

38. "RE: wait, wait..."
In response to Reply # 11

me
>questioning his ability to rhyme
>over dre's beats. i
>KNOW the dre camp makes
>hot shit, i'm not an
>idiot. >
>. . . . . .
>. . . . .
Why doubt Kweli's skill. You doubtin yourself then. Your first mistake was to doubt the artistry. Of course he can rhyme ova that. If you an MC you should be able to rap ova pretty much anything. Shit didn't Nate Dogg do a song with Mos and Pharoe. Now I would of neva saw that comin in 90 When Pharoh and Nate probably neva even heard of eachother. Besides...
Man ya'll don't realize Dre been makin beats since the early 80's
What does he really have to prove to anyone, Nothing. If you watched the Grammy's they were on his Dick (Who Gives a Fuck about a Goddamn Grammy!). That doesnt' mean he's the greatest producer of all Time, but the man has deffenitely transcended the music in some for or the other. I mean look at the classics he DID produce. Doggystyle/Chronic/Niggaz4Life/StraightOuttaCompton. Besides putting Feminem (Eminem) on the plateau he's at now. WHo cares if he ain't makin a lot of beats now. Ask yourself, does it really matter.
>. . . . .
>. . .
>"So I step in the jam and SLAM!!/I'm not Supaman/Because anybody can or should be able/to Rock off Turn Tables/Grab the Mic/Plug it in and begin/But here's where the problem Starts no Heart!/Because of that a lotta crews fell apart/see rap is just an art/and no one's from the old school/cause rap is still a BRAND NEW TOOL/I said no one's from the ole School cause rap on a whole...isn't even 30 years old!"--KRS-1

"Why must men doubt. Tell them not to doubt. Even now NOT TO DOUBT!"--Judis.
>

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

dobiewonk

Wed Mar-28-01 07:56 AM

9. "RE: hate much"
In response to Reply # 4

DAMN REAL IM HATIN!!!!!! even big tymers write they own shit...might not be the tightest lyrics, but they write they shit...and as for Dre makin the beat, whateva dawg......I dont believe he put in work like he used to.....

Im an artist that works hard to bring da pain, and To see somebody fake da funk just pisses me off.....Dre has skillz, but his skills is more as a "director" if you will. as an artist,pbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...Ill fart on that nigga....beats, lyrics...whateva pbbbbbbbbb....

and if U consider YO sef a Tru hip Hop head, then you would understand my pain. Watchin these flodgin ass niggas play hollywood roles for da camera....

as a business man,I cant hate on no black man gettin money, but as an artist, Dr. Faye hass to goooooooooooooooo!!!!!! or just stick to doin what he does best...Directing cats on da mic...

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 02:12 PM

13. "new school rules?"
In response to Reply # 9

"MC Lyte she can win a rhyme fight"

How come Chuck didn't hold it against Lyte that she didn't write her rhymes all the time?

What about Biz?

ficus
Charter member
5134 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 02:17 PM

14. "RE: hate much"
In response to Reply # 9

Dre has never written the majority of his lyrics.
Ice Cube wrote them in NWA, Snoop wrote them on
The Chronic. So if he's a fake, he's always been
a fake. Ain't nothin' changed but the time!

peace
F

--

Pimp C

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 02:49 PM

15. "RE: hate much"
In response to Reply # 14

Dre and them got billz to pay.

and people to pay.

and the extended family that comes from fame.

besides, he might really appreciate Kweli's talent.

death is when the human loses the ability to change his ways.

Zeno
Charter member
25623 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 06:04 PM

43. "RE: hate much"
In response to Reply # 15

>Dre and them got billz to
>pay.

No he doesn't. He's got a mansion and 6 cars that he's paid for.

>and the extended family that comes
>from fame.

Cry me a river. If you don't want the biproducts of fame, fair or unfair, you don't belong in the biz.

>besides, he might really appreciate Kweli's
>talent.

He might. Maybe he's got a perfect beat to use that he hasn't recycled from 1993 yet.

Z

"That was for you, and T-Dot too"

"Blindfolds can't cover three eyes,
We're wise to the fact so we attack with what we know
Heaven is the only good life" --Andre Benjamin

Over 10 Years of Measured Responses

dobiewonk

Thu Mar-29-01 04:56 AM

19. "RE: hate much"

tru indeed....thus my point.....fake ass busta ass nugga!!!! and as for lyte, and others, I dont care who you are, hip hop is a form of music that should truly reflect the artists personality and beliefs....there is nothing wrong wit someone writing a hook for ya, or you getting somebody to sing ya hook for the effect of their voice, but verses should be the artists creation.

unlike R&B where songs are songs and the lyrics(for the most part) are quite general, Hip hop lyrics are way more personal....I can just picture jay z writing Dre's rhyme, talkin bout "from the streets of Compton"!!!! whut da fucc he know bout compton????

and really jermaine dupri and all his acts are guilty of the same shit....I would make them an exeption to the rule cuz they lil kids, but hell, I heard some lil kids that can rap they ass off and write they own shit, so its no excuse....

Id rather for an artist to sound corny as hell wit they own lyrics than to fake da funk.

but thats just me.....im just real like dat I guess...ya kna???

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 12:10 PM

21. "who made that rule"
In response to Reply # 19

"hip hop is a form of music that should truly reflect the artists personality and beliefs.."

and if somebody can express in word what you feel better than yourself then what? Don't mean you can't deliver it better than they could.

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 03:44 AM

29. "RE: who made that rule"
In response to Reply # 21

then they should get on the mic and spit it.......or have the artist give credit where credit is due...dont front like ya wrote the shit, and be spittin the lyrics in the back of a limo on Mtv like you the shit wit da pen and pad.....

Sorry, I just cant respect that.....nope.......not at all....

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 04:41 AM

33. "RE: who made that rule"
In response to Reply # 21

whut'chu mean who made that rule???? thats why Mc's get called out they name every fuckin day for misrepresentin.....thats just the laws of hip hop....funny how yall respect some shit and blow off other shit......for all yall TRick Daddy hatas out there....if you a dre fan, I dont wanna hear shit from ya complainin how any mc that write they own shit is weak.....

not even complaints bout south park mexican!!!!!! ha ha ha!!

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 12:53 PM

40. "Wasn't always"
In response to Reply # 33

check your history, youngin

illnes
Charter member
6363 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 02:36 PM

50. "RE: hate much"

>Dre has never written the majority
>of his lyrics.
>Ice Cube wrote them in NWA,
>Snoop wrote them on
>The Chronic. So if he's
>a fake, he's always been
>
>a fake. Ain't nothin' changed
>but the time!

Ur point still is relevant, but Snoop didn't write them for the Chronic. From what I understand, the D.O.C. did.

Peace,
Illnes

"Aw, don't say that, Tito..."
- Miles Davis

"Vertical sideways, earthquakes'll shake them highways"
- Kool Keith

Apostle
Charter member
4683 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 11:35 PM

27. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Why Would Kweli even downgrade his
>shit like that???

I wouldn't call Dre a down grade, he's arguably the best producer hip hop has ever seen. He is on top right now. No refuting either one of those facts.

>Dr. Dre
>is a fraud, he dont
>do shit no more......he might
>make a beat or two
>but thats bout it....Check da
>credits for the chronic 2.
>Jay-Z and eminem wrote all
>those rhymes for him

Have you ever heard Dre say he was lyrically superior to anyone else in his rhymes. What kind of fraud is he? Look at the credit on the original 'Chronic'. Snoop, RBX, and others wrote his rhymes. When he was in NWA his raps were written for him a lot. Does this make his work less classic? Hell no. He never claimed to be a rhymer.

>.....and I
>bet Mel Man did most
>of the production, or dre
>wouldnt even have acknowledged him....and
>Mel Man still aint gettin
>the shine.

Mel man did most of the programming on 'Dre 2001', big difference. Dre is a producer in the classical sense of the term. You think Quincey Jones played a damn note on Thriller? Let Mel Man complain about his shine. If he was unhappy he didn't look it when I saw him at Fat Beats rollin' in an Escalade on dubs.

>besides, Id take a hi-tek beat
>over Dre tired ass shit
>anyday....no question....

Personal opinion. hi-tek is dope, but Dre is still doing good work in my opinion.

>Fuck Dre.....Go write a rhyme nigga!!!!
>how you gonna have jay-z
>write a song for you
>and dedicate it to ya
>dead brother????? thats bogus as
>fuck.....

Write a rhyme for who? You? Why? He's doing good working with the system he's got now. Those are pretty harsh words for a legend. Sauce Money wrote "I'll be Missing You" and Puffy rapped it. If he doesn't write rhymes and he wantd to make a song to his dead brother what else should he have done? Just let it be.

>besides, everybody know Suge made
>dre wear pantys underneath them
>Dickies!!!!!!!

Whatever... Dre is making money while Suge is umm, in jail. Suge may the one wearing panties now?

>Kweli and Dre.....WTF???? Naw dawg, that
>aint kosher one bit.

Everyone's entittled to thier own opinion.

peace, Apostle Jahbryll

5 Deadly Venom Spitters - No One is Safe
Just shut the fuck up and take it!

--------------------Quotes--------------------

Back to the original:

"I promise that I will not answer the phone when it rings love, while we do our thing love" Q-Tip

http://twitter.com/jahbryllionaire

DROkayplayer™

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 04:13 AM

31. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 27

>
>I wouldn't call Dre a down
>grade, he's arguably the best
>producer hip hop has ever
>seen.

For Kweli going from hi-tek to dre, that is a DOWNGRADE.....Tek is one of those producers that had to grow on me cuz his style is so innovative, I didnt know WTF to think...But i luv his shit now....Dre,...pbbbbbbbbbb

>
>Have you ever heard Dre say
>he was lyrically superior to
>anyone else in his rhymes.
He never
>claimed to be a rhymer.

you right, he never claimed that shit....but its still somethin strange bout a poodle wit a pit bull bark......
>
>Mel man did most of the
>programming on 'Dre 2001', big
>difference. Dre is a producer
>in the classical sense of
>the term.

yeah, I acknowleged that part bout him...he is a fantastic director, but in the hip hop sense, Producer is a misleading term. you just say Mel Man did most the programming, thus provin my point....Dre aint producing shit....and people dont admire him for his skill at working with an artist half as much as they do for his beats, beats which HE AINT MAKING!!!!!!!
>
>
>>Fuck Dre.....Go write a rhyme nigga!!!!
>>how you gonna have jay-z
>>write a song for you
>>and dedicate it to ya
>>dead brother????? thats bogus as
>>fuck.....
>
Those are pretty harsh
>words for a legend.

IF Rakim started fakin, I dont give a fuck, ill call his ass out too....REAL IS REAL FAKE IS FAKE........

Sauce
>Money wrote "I'll be Missing
>You" and Puffy rapped it.

Puffy was bullshit from day 1....I expect bullshit from bullshit, so I pay him no mind....

>If he doesn't write rhymes
>and he wantd to make
>a song to his dead
>brother what else should he
>have done? Just let it
>be.

Naw man, thats fam...you cant have somebody write somethin like that. I know he aint that damn sorry wit a pen that he cant scribble somethin out.......nigga lazy....you tellin me after all these years in the game he aint developed no skills?????
cats clowned master P's lyrics when he first came, but his verses on Ghetto D is on point....UGGGGGHHHHH!!! no excuse.

>Whatever... Dre is making money while
>Suge is umm, in jail.
>Suge may the one wearing
>panties now?

thats funny dawg, I cant lie....ha ha ha, but I just laugh at dre everytime he put on a screw face for the camera.....knowin he used to get smacked for speakin outa turn!!!! ha ha ha ha

pick up the pen and write some shit nigga!!!! aint that fuccin hard!!

-D W K

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 11:26 AM

39. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 27

>>Why Would Kweli even downgrade his
>>shit like that???
>
>I wouldn't call Dre a down
>grade, he's arguably the best
>producer hip hop has ever
>seen. He is on top
>right now. No refuting either
>one of those facts.
>
>>Dr. Dre
>>is a fraud, he dont
>>do shit no more......he might
>>make a beat or two
>>but thats bout it....Check da
>>credits for the chronic 2.
>>Jay-Z and eminem wrote all
>>those rhymes for him
>
>
>Have you ever heard Dre say
>he was lyrically superior to
>anyone else in his rhymes.
>What kind of fraud is
>he? Look at the credit
>on the original 'Chronic'. Snoop,
>RBX, and others wrote his
>rhymes. When he was in
>NWA his raps were written
>for him a lot. Does
>this make his work less
>classic? Hell no. He never
>claimed to be a rhymer.
>
>
>
>>.....and I
>>bet Mel Man did most
>>of the production, or dre
>>wouldnt even have acknowledged him....and
>>Mel Man still aint gettin
>>the shine.
>
>Mel man did most of the
>programming on 'Dre 2001', big
>difference. Dre is a producer
>in the classical sense of
>the term. You think Quincey
>Jones played a damn note
>on Thriller? Let Mel Man
>complain about his shine. If
>he was unhappy he didn't
>look it when I saw
>him at Fat Beats rollin'
>in an Escalade on dubs.
>
>
>
>
>>besides, Id take a hi-tek beat
>>over Dre tired ass shit
>>anyday....no question....
>
>Personal opinion. hi-tek is dope, but
>Dre is still doing good
>work in my opinion.
>
>
>>Fuck Dre.....Go write a rhyme nigga!!!!
>>how you gonna have jay-z
>>write a song for you
>>and dedicate it to ya
>>dead brother????? thats bogus as
>>fuck.....
>
>Write a rhyme for who? You?
>Why? He's doing good working
>with the system he's got
>now. Those are pretty harsh
>words for a legend. Sauce
>Money wrote "I'll be Missing
>You" and Puffy rapped it.
>If he doesn't write rhymes
>and he wantd to make
>a song to his dead
>brother what else should he
>have done? Just let it
>be.
>
>>besides, everybody know Suge made
>>dre wear pantys underneath them
>>Dickies!!!!!!!
>
>Whatever... Dre is making money while
>Suge is umm, in jail.
>Suge may the one wearing
>panties now?
>
>
>>Kweli and Dre.....WTF???? Naw dawg, that
>>aint kosher one bit.
>
>Everyone's entittled to thier own opinion.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>peace, Apostle Jahbryll
>
>
> Yo I think you came with the most level headed commentary yet. These folks iz trippin.
PS3

"Steady worried bout me and mine/GET YA OWN SHIT"-Method Man

I'm Certified

walnut_jackson

Fri Mar-30-01 04:28 PM

41. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 3

i remember kurupt , of the dogg pound , saying
that daz produced a slew of songs 4 death row
artists and dre would get credit 4 them ...
4 example , snoop's doggystyle album

i read an above the law article in the source
magazine and cold187um explained that they
produced several songs 4 the chronic album
and never received any credit 2 this day

dj quik even speaks about it on " U ain't fresh "
on the balance and options album ...

U make up UR own mind

but kweli and dre | mel - man | whomever else ,
will definitely B fonke..eee

bw
Charter member
1668 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 11:38 AM

12. "RE: ?UEST WITH "BONE"?"
In response to Reply # 0

would this be the thugs-n-harmony perhaps? or part of..flesh is locked up i think for a long time coming.

It would be interesting.

bw
aim: okayplayer47
ben.walker@hiphopcongress.com

--
"Tunak tunak tun!" - daler mehndi?

HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT THESE SONGS ARE:
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/1.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/2.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/3.ram
http://www.brandeis.edu/~benw/4.ram

http://www.hiphopcongress.com creepin up on ya....

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 03:08 PM

16. "boner from growing pains nm"
In response to Reply # 12

taygravy
Charter member
6656 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 03:20 PM

17. "RE: boner from growing pains nm"
In response to Reply # 16

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

....and in case you forgot, ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's bag ladies.
With beats by Eccentric and guest appearances by The Honorable T. Gravious.
Seekers of truth music....YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!
Coming March 2001 on KEO Music Recordings

2.Phonte-"Goddamn Paper In My Pocket"
Coming August 2001 on KEO Music Recordings....you BITCHES!!!
Featuring appearances by TJ Swan, Suga Free, Pimpin Ken, Bishop Don Magic Juan, and a remake of "The Real Slim Shady" featuring Whitefolks.

3.U.S.-"The Story of U.S."
The critically acclaimed and nationally renowned comedy CD
Rated @@@@1/2 by Viv Shocklee of the Jawn Squad and laughed at by Talib Kweli on Feb. 28 at around 12:52AM after his show in Carrboro (shameless plug...no, HOPELESS is more like it)
Available on Napster or for the low, low price of $10
Send mail order info to taygravy@hotmail.com

www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 05:15 AM

20. "Question:"
In response to Reply # 0

What MC has been nice over the beats of others but then failed to rock over Dre beats?

What I'm saying is Kweli is nice, so if this collab does happen, I expect him to sound nice with one of the game's best producers. peace.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Mil
Charter member
33922 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 01:27 PM

23. "Did I Miss Something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dre and Kweli? Im lost, someone let me know the deal.

Pullin yo card and yellin "Gin, muthafucka!!!",

mil.

"Now its... 'I-I-I... I'm sorry', my ASS!"-Mystikal.

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 06:08 PM

24. "from the update wednesday:"
In response to Reply # 23

talib- workin with a tuff jew and his physcian

the "tuff jew" is scott storch, his physician, or Doctor, is clearly dr. dre.

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

--

dj_crafty

Fri Mar-30-01 04:36 AM

32. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!? (aight, chill)"
In response to Reply # 0

Before everyone goes ballistic about the whole Kweli and Dre thing, think about this

Some Kind of Wonderful = The Watcher?

The beats are so similiar. Kweli even did an interpolation of the Watcher over the Some Kind of Wonderful beat at the Spitkicker tour in Chicago.

"Every where that I go, I got people I know..."

Bottom line. Shit could work. We'll just have to wait and see.

Peace

"It's simple craftmatics!"

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 04:54 AM

34. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!? (aight, chill)"
In response to Reply # 32

Ok....lets rearange the topic to show what it really should be...

what would talib kweli sound like over a beat produced by ONE OF DRE'S AFTERMATH PRODUCERS>.....not one of dre's beats...cuz he aint doin shit.... and my answer to that is, he probably would rip the shit, no doubt...still not as good as a hi-tek joint, but he would do his thang.

seriously, yall got me feelin like a supreme hater....as I said before, as a BUSINESSMAN, I cant HATE on NO BLACK MAN GETTIN MONEY,not even Nelly corny ass, however, AS AN ARTIST, fuck DRE.....point blank..

Im really disapointed at ya okp's for lettin shit like that ride. Im seem to be the only one who finds somethin wrong wit somebody who dont produce nor write shit, and is still heralded as "arguably the best in the game"....WTF???????

what a nigga gotta do to get that title???? obviously not much..

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 05:15 AM

35. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!? (aight, chill)"
In response to Reply # 34

I KNOW YA OUT THERE ?UEST, U usually got somethin to say bout everythang, so whut's ya oppinion on this one....and how widespread is this "ghostwriting" epidemic????????

cuz thats what it is...a fuccin epidemic..diseased hip hop....

dj_crafty

Fri Mar-30-01 05:31 AM

36. "Faith in the artist"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure Kweli is far from stupid. If he's going to rock a Dre beat, don't you think he'll make sure shit's correct??? I have confidence in the brother. He has demonstrated time and time that he has lyrical skill. He just wouldn't drop a verse on any bullshit just to say "I did a song with Dre!?"

Have some kind of faith in the artist. Kweli has come correct in the past. He can do it again.

Peace

"It's simple craftmatics!"

dobiewonk

Fri Mar-30-01 07:11 AM

37. "RE: Faith in the artist"
In response to Reply # 36

I got faith in Kweli, and in the producers Dre uses, I just dont have faith in DRE........

nope...not at all...........

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 05:19 PM

42. "okay, out with it...."
In response to Reply # 0

here it is, folks: i was quite disappointed with R:E. I thoroughly doubt kweli's ability to kill over dre beats. i think he showed he can hardly do it over hi-tek beats. he's not a great solo emcee. BRILLIANT lyricist, maybe the best in hiphop today. but he can't hold more than a track or two himself, he just doesn't have the voice or delivery. there, i said it. my god that's fucking cathartic.

ps kwe, if you read this, don't get pissy or nothin, i may be the only one who thinks this, and even if i'm not, shit, i still bought the record and so did a lot of other people. work on the shit for next time or somethin, i dunno, but it's the biggest fault i see.

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

--

ficus
Charter member
5134 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 06:09 PM

44. "RE: okay, out with it...."
In response to Reply # 42

I bought this record on the strength of the OKP
connection and was disappointed for the second time
(wasn't feeling Dilated either). I liked Black
Star, I loved and still love Black On Both Sides,
but...

Now, I'm not really into Eve (she was OK on You
Got Me), but I am loving both of the tracks she did
with Dre. So you never know...

F

--

Pimp C

Dr_Gonzo

Fri Mar-30-01 06:48 PM

45. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Man I think this is going to be good. It'll probably be a hit too. I think Xzibit should be on the track.

ask Beavis I get nuttin Butt-head-
Big L

For real cause these memories is photographic/Pornographic, pushing me close to madness/Head heavy like I'm trippin on acid tablets/Yesterday as I recall was all fabulous I thought so/But now it feel like shots hittin my torso- black thought

JoB
Charter member
12 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 11:51 PM

46. "Pharoahe Monch"
In response to Reply # 0

Pharoahe Monch told me last year he was looking to work with Dr. Dre as well. Then again, who doesn't? Mystikal is very keen as well (to name just one other MC).

SevenOneEighter
Member since Jan 04th 2004
13 posts
Sat Mar-31-01 07:25 AM

47. "Dr. Dre is so WACK!"
In response to Reply # 46

Okay, before some of you start bitching Dre this and Dre that. DRE SUCKS! And let me tell you why. I dont care how dope his beats are, I dont care how long he's been around, He has ADMITTED that he is in hip-hop for one reason and one reason only MONEY! He explained that he tried to do the positive thing and get away from the gangsta style, but it didn't sell. HE said that if I start putting half naked girls in the videos and callin them bitches and yappin bout the gangsta life, i'll sell records, and thats what I'll do EVEN THOUGH I DONT LIVE THAT LIFESTYLE. The most important aspect of hip-hop is how true or real it is, and DRE is neither of those things. So I dont care how great of a producer he is and I hope Kweli stays away from that clown, especially since Hi Teks beats are much better.

deacon
Charter member
3284 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 08:58 AM

49. "Yeah, well..."
In response to Reply # 47

I like Talib, and I'm still feelin' "Team Dre", so I'm all for it.

"You're here, I'm pleased" Jilly from Philly

Sites that I contribute to:

http://www.livefrommemphis.com

http://www.geeksofdoom.com

BRINGthaRAWKUS

Mon Feb-11-02 01:32 PM

51. "RE: Kweli with Dr. Dre!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok...here's how it is. I got nothin against dre, but i just couldnt see talib and him working together. Talib's voice and rhyming style are too raw for dre's beats. Talib needs to stick with what he's been doin. thats all i gotta say.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #12382 Previous topic | Next topic