Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #11508

Subject: "Seeing Jag Live" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
StacyAdams
Charter member
66516 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 01:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Seeing Jag Live"

This is ALWAYS a niggas' response for those of us who didn't like the album. "OoOOh U need to see her live to get a full appreciation of her". Bullshit, i ain't neva seent Anita Baker live and i got FULL appreciation. Just accept she made a lackluster album and get ova it. Hopefully she'll do betta next time round. I honestly hope she does. Frill.
=================================================================

"Got Damn man what the fuck U doin in there huh? That ain't what U posta saing, Now u know betta than that, u know u gotsta saing this muhfucka the way I told U to right? Got damn man how many muhfuckin times i got ta tell u, u gon' saing this song, u gotta SAING this muhfucka u dig what i'm sayin? I wanna FEEL this muhfuckin song thru my skin, u gotta git up, i want u to get up from way in here. U betta put some stink in this muhfucka, u betta saing this muhfucka like yo life depend on it you undastand me?" -the honorable Ike Turner

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I know right
Apr 11th 2002
no comment(smile)
Apr 11th 2002
Actually ............
Apr 11th 2002
RE: Actually ............
Apr 11th 2002
      I would not go as far as to say all that....
Apr 11th 2002
      yeah...what he said!
Apr 11th 2002
      now niggas cain't talk?
Apr 11th 2002
      RE: now niggas cain't talk?
Apr 11th 2002
      RE: Actually ............
Apr 11th 2002
           RE: Actually ....Ya'll be killin me
Apr 15th 2002
i can't agree
Apr 11th 2002
I hate to say it...
Apr 11th 2002
RE: I hate to say it...
Apr 11th 2002
Apr 12th 2002
Apr 15th 2002
AMEN
Apr 11th 2002
RE: Seeing Jag Live
Apr 11th 2002
i respect that
Apr 11th 2002
^
Apr 11th 2002
Stacy, suga baby....
Apr 12th 2002
lookey here bitchmade ass nigga
Apr 12th 2002
      Again...
Apr 15th 2002
No doubt.
Apr 12th 2002
sho'ya right.
Apr 12th 2002
the album sounds fine
Apr 12th 2002
glad someone said it
Apr 15th 2002
      RE: glad someone said it
Apr 15th 2002
Same Shit, Different Day
Apr 13th 2002
Apr 13th 2002
Apr 15th 2002

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16833 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 04:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I know right"
In response to Reply # 0

that's a pretty common excuse around here but bottom line is the CD is less than stellar. I also would like for Jag to blow through the roof but I'm not feeling D,D, & D either. sorry

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Nathaniel
Charter member
9962 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 04:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no comment(smile)"
In response to Reply # 0

I am enamored of the 'voices' of:
'donny hathaway', ayanna george, 'tweet', 'intro', 'missy and timbo', 'james hall & worship & praise', shawn mclemore, 'eric matthews', 'eric dawkins', 'brandy', charles perry, mark prentice, kim burrell-wiley, kelly price-rolle, 'bilal', anaysha figeuroa, 'frank sinatra'(vintage), james 'jimmy' moss,'ted & sheri' and daryl coley(vintage).

King James Bible states in (1st Corinthians 14:8-9)-"..Again, If the trumpet does NOT sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?..So it is with you."

For an audible glimpse of my sound, click here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9549455779abe02a/

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 04:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Actually ............"
In response to Reply # 0

I would be the 1st to tell you that the album sucks. I did not like it at all. (liked only one song) However she performed here in Philly at unity day & I was more than impressed. I can honestly say she is the best live performer I have ever seen/heard. And I have heard many. The only person that comes close is Bilal. (But thats mainly because of his stage antics. Not that he sounds as good/better) On the real if Jag had put out a live CD.... she would be at Jill status by now. IMHO......

"Beware that you do not lose the substance by grasping at the shadow."-unknown

"I'm nothing like me"-KnowOne

"You lack the faith to move mountains; yet take pride in your ability to roll trees?"-KnowOne

"Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing."-AeonFlux

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 05:28 AM

4. "RE: Actually ............"
In response to Reply # 3

The bitch is tight.
Stop being so damn critical.
Damn ya'll niggaz worse than white folks.
Really ya'll be comin wit some bullshit ass critiques for whatever bullshit reasons.

Just listen to music and enjoy. If you ain't feelin it...then like Jigga say Pay it no mind.

peaces

"I'm the cherry on the top of yo icecream/I'm the mystic thought inside ya dream" Kamal The Abstract or "Q-Tip from a TCQ on the jungle bruvaz album...OH YES!!!"

"You worse than the whiteman" Some lady who's on my pops case load to my pop. We had a big laugh over that one, Dat Nigga'z funny, I love that nigga.

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 05:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I would not go as far as to say all that...."
In response to Reply # 4

But like I said I was not really feelin' her album.... but I would kill for a live CD.....

"Beware that you do not lose the substance by grasping at the shadow."-unknown

"I'm nothing like me"-KnowOne

"You lack the faith to move mountains; yet take pride in your ability to roll trees?"-KnowOne

"Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing."-AeonFlux

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

delrica
Charter member
6889 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "yeah...what he said!"
In response to Reply # 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

National Poetry Month (NPM) Lessons

Intro: http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/17980.html

One (Haiku): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/17893.html

Two (Iambic Pentameter): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/17940.html

Three (Tanka): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/17960.html

Four (Villanelle): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/18000.html

Five (Limerick): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/18031.html

Six (Ode): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/18064.html

Seven (Sestina): http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/18091.html

AIM: damnacmeissue & delricaa | Blackplanet: changingseasons

http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
http://www.saulwilliams.com

----------------------
Cop my stuff, mayne!

My first chapbook: "This Chapbook Was Made With Pilfered Office Products" available now - $6.00

My 2nd chapbook, coming in 2007: "Orgasms and Ice Cream"

fmi: http://www.myspace.com/delrica

StacyAdams
Charter member
66516 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 05:47 AM

6. "now niggas cain't talk?"
In response to Reply # 4

worse than white people? How dumb is you? Nigga if someshit is wack to you i'm SURE u ain't got no prollem holdin yo tongue bout it. But since Dean Big Brotha Almightyquest is in yo head 24/Semn, u ain't gon fess up to tha real. Fuck dat

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:33 AM

10. "RE: now niggas cain't talk?"
In response to Reply # 6

>worse than white people? How dumb
>is you? Nigga if someshit
>is wack to you i'm
>SURE u ain't got no
>prollem holdin yo tongue bout
>it. But since Dean Big
>Brotha Almightyquest is in yo
>head 24/Semn, u ain't gon
>fess up to tha real.
>Fuck dat

Ninja Pleeze!!

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

prezzdogg
Charter member
82 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 09:51 AM

15. "RE: Actually ............"
In response to Reply # 4

>Damn ya'll niggaz worse than white
>folks.
>Really ya'll be comin wit some
>bullshit ass critiques for whatever
>bullshit reasons.
>

You obviously have a lot of anger. I'm not sure what you mean by your racist comment though.

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 08:31 AM

27. "RE: Actually ....Ya'll be killin me"
In response to Reply # 15

> >Damn ya'll niggaz worse than white
>>folks.
>>Really ya'll be comin wit some
>>bullshit ass critiques for whatever
>>bullshit reasons.
>>
>
>You obviously have a lot of
>anger. I'm not sure
>what you mean by your
>racist comment though.

RACIST!?!?

Ninja Pleeze!!

Angry??

HMMMM COULD BEEEEE!!!

lol!!
lol!!

"Ya'll Niggaz be crrraackin me up"-Jay Dee

I'm Certified

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:06 AM

7. "i can't agree"
In response to Reply # 0

She's a whole different person on stage and that's who i was introduced to first.I seriously think they had to contain her becuase Jag will run with it.If quest and scott handed her the mic uncut for like three songs str8-unplugged style i wonder what would happen, becuase those three have magic.
You just swole.
we witness this/her from the beginning.
She just has time to grow which is all good.
If she/they scored the first album it would be something else wrong by you bitter eilitist.

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

From this point, I vow to

Venus
Charter member
862 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:07 AM

8. "I hate to say it..."
In response to Reply # 0

But I think I agree with Stacy. I LOVE Jag to death - she's my favorite female artist, but I really don't love the CD. I just don't think it really captured her true "essence." That might sound corny, but peep this - I bought India Arie and Jag's cd's at the same time. I skipped through several of Jag's songs because they weren't holding my interest. I listened to India Arie and didn't skip any. I'm definitely not saying that India is better, because I don't think that's the case, but I like her CD much better and it gets much more play.

I don't know what it is. Maybe I just had higher expectations from Jag's cd because I've seen her live several times and I know what she's really capable of - which is much more than what is shown on her cd.

It's all love like Venus - Malik Yusef

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:37 AM

11. "RE: I hate to say it..."
In response to Reply # 8

>I don't know what it is.
> Maybe I just had
>higher expectations from Jag's cd
>because I've seen her live
>several times and I know
>what she's really capable of
>- which is much more
>than what is shown on
>her cd.

You in Love with a moment. Moments come and go. The sista is talented Straight up and down. It don't matter if you live or on an 8 Track. In these digital sound days people too caught up in quality of shit, Or that didn't sound like that one time I saw her or heard her. I thought her version of Arethas joint was tight. Granted I don't listen to all of the songs either. Maybe 5 or six, but that it's still a good Album to me. But hey dat's me. and you are you. I respect that. Even yo stankin ass Stacy.

peaces

I'm Certified

Venus
Charter member
862 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 05:59 AM

17. "RE: I hate to say it..."
In response to Reply # 11

>You in Love with a moment.
> Moments come and go.
> The sista is talented
>Straight up and down.
>It don't matter if you
>live or on an 8
>Track.

I would never dispute the fact that she's talented. I think she's better than 95% of the women out right now.

In these digital
>sound days people too caught
>up in quality of shit,
>Or that didn't sound like
>that one time I saw
>her or heard her.

I think we're supposed to get caught up in the "quality of shit." Cause if it's not quality, what is it? Honestly, the cd just sounds flat to me. It doesn't grab me and make me want to listen to it. As much as I love Jag (and I've seen her 4 times) I'm not going to fake and say I love her cd, when I don't.

>I thought her version of
>Arethas joint was tight.
>Granted I don't listen to
>all of the songs either.
> Maybe 5 or six,
>but that it's still a
>good Album to me.

That's interesting. If 5 out of 12 songs on a cd are okay, that means 7 of 12 are not so okay. You would consider that to be a "good" album. What would you consider to be mediocre?

>But hey dat's me. and
>you are you. I
>respect that.

I respect what you're saying too, but it sounds like you're excusing a mediocre album because of your love of the artist. I used to be like that too, but I got over it.

Just for the record, I would say the same thing about Alicia Keys. I think the girl is TREMENDOUSLY talented, but her cd was mediocre at best. She has a few radio hits, but the rest just seems to be filler. It seems like most people got to caught up in the hype surrounding her to admit that the cd wasn't that good.

It's all love like Venus - Malik Yusef

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 08:33 AM

28. "RE: I hate to say it..."
In response to Reply # 17

OKAY

I'm Certified

StacyAdams
Charter member
66516 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 08:53 AM

13. "AMEN"
In response to Reply # 8

tis alright to agree wit me lil mama. I would concur that India made a tighter cd. Now I ain't seen neitha live so I can't comment on who's tighter but all i know is, Arie's cd was betta than Jag's. That's just my opinion. Hopefully, she'll come widdit next time cuz i don't think she can suffer 2 bullshit albums in a row. Maybe she DOES need a live jawn next. *Shrugs*. I'm tonin down the harshness but frill.

feeldeepa
Charter member
985 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 06:54 AM

12. "RE: Seeing Jag Live"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey here's one cat (and my brother makes two) who got his first taste of her on the OKP Tour in '00 or whenever that was. And her live performance is what has me UNinterested in her album (not to mention the cuts I've heard from her and just my gut feelin). You don't haveta like everybody involved in "da next movement". Ya know?

StacyAdams
Charter member
66516 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 08:55 AM

14. "i respect that"
In response to Reply # 12

and U even MO fo sayin it. I ain't gon lie. I NEVER heard of Jag off this site. Erything i heard about her was on here and how dope she is live, so i was like "Sheeeit, 7 bucks? I'm GETTIN that shit". Curses...foiled again.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Apr-11-02 02:00 PM

16. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

'Miss, I don't stand next to hoes/'less we runnin' a train and I'm next to Ghost....' - Superb (Spend Money)

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

psykosoul
Charter member
3059 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 06:08 AM

18. "Stacy, suga baby...."
In response to Reply # 0

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. But if this shit is still on your mind damn near 3 months after the album dropped then it must have had some sort of impact on you. You made it perfectly clear that you weren't feeling it during the first week of its release. Now shut the fuck up.

http://www.imeem.com/psykosoul

StacyAdams
Charter member
66516 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 06:55 AM

19. "lookey here bitchmade ass nigga"
In response to Reply # 18

shit was broughted to my attention AGAIN. I addressed it....AGAIN. and U goatmoufin....AGAIN.

psykosoul
Charter member
3059 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 04:42 AM

26. "Again..."
In response to Reply # 19

I say shut the fuck up. Looks like you are missing valuable time in English class. But instead you skip school to come post this bullshit again.

>shit was broughted to my attention
>AGAIN. I addressed it....AGAIN. and
>U goatmoufin....AGAIN.

http://www.imeem.com/psykosoul

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 07:00 AM

20. "No doubt."
In response to Reply # 0

But that live show is HOT. I'd pay to see that two nights in a row.

--
Jesse Thorn / Host
The Sound of Young America
Thursdays 5-6 PM KZSC 88.1 Santa Cruz

Metro Santa Cruz "Best Radio Personality" 2002

"California is drowning, and I live down by the river." -- Swamp Dogg

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Divine Sheba
Charter member
16971 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 07:07 AM

21. "sho'ya right."
In response to Reply # 0

RIP Myriam Nsalu Vita Luyeye 1959 - 2001
"And when I'm missing you so much that I can't take it,
I just close my eyes...I just close my eyes and Dream..."

Let The Church Say "Word Life"

Ayo, my mind seein' through ya design like blind fury.

throwback.

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Fri Apr-12-02 07:03 PM

22. "the album sounds fine"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what they think is so bad about it. I dig it.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

For some political rap with biblical imagery and Middle Eastern-influenced production, check out my man Born Infinite at http://www.199records.com/artists.htm (he's a nice guy on top of all that...AND THE MISCELLANEOUS FLUX ALBUM IS ON SALE NOW AT http://www.cdbaby.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out Miscellaneous Flux at http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 12:54 AM

25. "glad someone said it"
In response to Reply # 22

i saw her live. twice. both times she really blew me away and made me think she has tremendous stage potential

i got the album. i love it

sure she didn't run amuk with her skills. she introduced herself. set the stage. and from here she can only grow.

why compare her to jill? or alicia? or whoever? that's bullshit. she's completely different from them.

india arie is not a vocalist. she's more of a folksinger. jag's a vocalist. and a damned good one at that.

==**peace**==

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"This 'One Love' chant has been more misused than Jamie Foxx airtime." DanjaRuss

DomePoem Poets; redefining the third dimension of spoken word

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 08:39 AM

30. "RE: glad someone said it"
In response to Reply # 25

Thank you

I'm glad someone came in here and did some Guerilla Pimp Smackin up in dis mufugg

lol

The album is ill

LIke you said this is her introduction.

"Damn Pimp/Da Cadillac's SPacious!"-BT

I'm Certified

Shelly
Charter member
15886 posts
Sat Apr-13-02 01:19 AM

23. "Same Shit, Different Day"
In response to Reply # 0

and you don't like Jag, so what! Stacy you make me think you are one of those folks with nothing else better to do with your time.

If you don't like it , too bad !

Shit happens

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Sat Apr-13-02 09:06 AM

24. "RE: Seeing Jag Live"
In response to Reply # 0

Chrishawn is that you?

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Apr-15-02 08:36 AM

29. "RE: Seeing Jag Live"
In response to Reply # 24

hey I didn't like the Roots live CD... but I still like the Roots... so I completely understand. If anyone heard their live disc they definitely wouldn't have a full understanding of their stage show... same with Jag. However, hopefully she will blow the @#$@##$@@#ing spot next time namean?

"I'm like Aquaman and Brownhornet, Imhotep but don't flaunt it" - the mighty Black Thought

"We.. (puff, puff) gotta make some changes ya dig? (puff, puff) I mean... dayum... brothers gotta work it out (puff, puff)... What's this a Dutch? Damn you aint

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #11508 Previous topic | Next topic