Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion General Discussion Archives topic #13349

Subject: "want 2 do an interview 4 okayplayer, rep the community" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu May-13-04 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"want 2 do an interview 4 okayplayer, rep the community"
Tue May-18-04 02:08 AM by okayplayer

some of y'all would do a better job answering these questions than me. Go ahead, give 'em a look, post up. You'll get credit for whatever is used.

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/36484.html

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
background on what its for...
May 13th 2004
i run this place ... but i don't know the half
May 13th 2004
oh no you wouldn't
May 13th 2004
      I'm too lazy too but
May 13th 2004
           ms. janey can u write my response?
May 13th 2004
                Buzzed? You?
May 14th 2004
tell em to wait for the okaymentary to come out
May 13th 2004
really it should
May 13th 2004
or maybe
May 14th 2004
if you wanna link up sometime
May 13th 2004
lakers lose/flyers win
May 13th 2004
okay
May 13th 2004
done.
May 13th 2004
i'm poetx, i can sound all intelligent.
rickyBUTLER
May 13th 2004
      ja know? asshole. damn u poetx...n/m
May 13th 2004
      my bad: i'll edit & replace all polysyllabs with "titti
May 14th 2004
           no. Editing is the LEAST you could do. I can't
May 14th 2004
                true. what is gd without titties. i erred grievously.
May 16th 2004
im gonna leave this anchored here into next week
May 13th 2004
i mind!
May 17th 2004

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "background on what its for..."
In response to Reply # 0

my name is andré pinard. i am working with sean jacobs, based in New York City - contributing a chapter to a new booklength study on the politics of cybercommunities to be published in the United States. For our contribution, we are looking into discussing/comparing thepolitics / mechanics of a number of hip hop websites that actively set out to create active online communities; esp. sites that operate outside mainstream, commercial hip hop usually associated with wanton materialism.

At this point, we are looking at exploring a number of issues around the following websites: Okayplayer.com here in the United States and Africanhiphop.com, from the Netherlands/Africa.

I can explain more about the project and the kind of issues we are exploring once I get a reply from you. We are writing this email to serve as an introduction and to request an online interview (sending you questions) and perhaps, afterwards, a telephone interview.

About us: Andre Vladimir Pinard is a PhD student in the Sociology Department of the New School for Social Research and Sean Jacobs is a postdoctoral fellow of the International Center for Advanced Studies at New York University.

we would really appreciate your time, energy, insights, and consideration. we are inspired by the (cyber) space that you provide and are hoping to bring the dynamics of this space an uninformed, yet thirsty, (academic) audience.

peace,

andré aka dré p.

"in the luv shack with a nug sack and my rug rats who keep naps under they skull caps. pass around a bottle of sambuca and a hookah, there's even times when i look into the future. blazin' DMT with GFE. now don't be surprised when you seein' me wi

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:06 AM

2. "i run this place ... but i don't know the half"
In response to Reply # 0

of what goes on in the community. if i could hang out in here all day, then i would. but a rarely even visit.

Raina
Charter member
66771 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "oh no you wouldn't"
In response to Reply # 2

if you saw some of the things going on...

*shakes head*

I'm too lazy to answer all the questions, but I will say this. While I'm at work, this place is C R A C K to me.

~!~
Phoenix
Bird
Morph

...and we live off the G-Force...

scream phoenix

at the end of the day, though...

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I'm too lazy too but"
In response to Reply # 3

here's my spiel in case you want to work it in some place.

The public political discourse has devolved until it has become two people shouting sound bytes at one another. The internet adds to this chaos, feeding on headlines and flash imagery -- except on message boards. Message boards last longer than instant messaging or chat rooms and allow commentary by more than just the intended recipient, which (it seems to me) causes or can cause writers to think through their arguments before spewing something of no value into the mix. Irrelevant points and points with no value other than "hating" are called out -- the writer himself may not be convinced, but there's an opportunity for more serious political debate on sites such as these than in most other areas of our lives, *because* it's interactive and *because* it's a group effort rather than one on one. Here, voices of all ages and races are heard and are generally heard without much of the cultural baggage that face to face meetings entail.

Sometimes when I become discouraged with the current state of the country, the thing that raises my hopes is the intelligence and concern for issues displayed here. That does not mean that all posters are smart or show their intelligence, or that all posts are political in nature. But it gives me hope nonetheless.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Thu May-13-04 03:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "ms. janey can u write my response?"
In response to Reply # 5

i'm too buzzed to put intelligible words together.

<--- Still reppin' the Bay
Life. Love. Music:
http://vettievette.wordpress.com
http://sistamatikdjs.wordpress.com

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri May-14-04 03:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Buzzed? You?"
In response to Reply # 12

That's not what I call setting a good example for the children.

You bad, bad girl.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

chrisnotic
Charter member
4137 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:10 AM

4. "tell em to wait for the okaymentary to come out"
In response to Reply # 0

it should answer all their questions
hehe

--------------

r.i.p.
hdw 04.04.61 - 07.30.99
dtw 05.12.58 - 08.14.02

http://www.okaymentary.com

KayDee
Charter member
25731 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:29 AM

7. "really it should"
In response to Reply # 4

if y'all do it right. (ha)

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Fri May-14-04 07:25 AM

16. "or maybe"
In response to Reply # 4

we can both answer each other's questions.

(strokes goatee)

hmmmmmmmm.

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

KayDee
Charter member
25731 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:28 AM

6. "if you wanna link up sometime"
In response to Reply # 0

i can answer all this in person....not up to typin all this right now.

bout to get drunk and watch the lakers lose/flyers win tonite tho....but f'real hit me up and i'll stop thru and do (yet another) interview about this place, haha.

jideff215
Member since Aug 05th 2002
6850 posts
Thu May-13-04 04:57 PM

14. "lakers lose/flyers win"
In response to Reply # 6

damn

thas a jinx dog

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu May-13-04 11:53 AM

8. "okay"
In response to Reply # 0

>1. How would you describe oklayplayer.com? Where would you place it in the music universe? Would you say it fits the label "alternative hip hop" site? What is its relationship to mainstream rap? Does it attempt to break into the mainstream or is it attempting to establish a different music universe? <

I came to the site originally as the place to find like-minded Roots fans. It is their site. I don't view The Roots as being "alternative hip-hop" although I notice their names popping up in the same quarters. Is the site "alternative?" I think there is an equal passion for both the underground and the mainstream, with an equal distate for both. It commands a lot of heavy traffic simply because of the people who make up the community in the forums. There are a number of forums on the boards, and each forum has its own so-called community standards.

I think it will always look at rap music as the core, but at times it also looks into other avenues of hip-hop, and therefore other forms of music. I've always believed that you can't live by one form of music alone, and I would say that is the standard that is held on OkayPlayer.com. The fact that people are allowed to speak their minds on whatever music possible is great, because the powers that be could say "please, only talk about us" or "please, only bands that are labelmates".

If anything, it shows that Roots fans are some of the most well "spoken", most opinionated, and well-informed people out there. It's a great gathering place, which is what makes a lot of members want to meet each other in person. There are many fake personas, but the boards give a chance for people to interact in anyway possible.

>2. How important are the issues of race & ethnicity to the construction of your virtual community?<
It is very important. One can't help but discuss the diversity and quirks of the people involved, towards coming to some kind of understanding. All of us (well, most of us) are human, but we all come from very different backgrounds. The fact that we can communicate in some fashion, whether it's music, technology, politics, sex, barbeques, or simply complaining, is something that can't be done elsewhere without compromise.

>3. What is the attitude of the site's producers to mainstream produced hip hop and the politics of hip hop ? *Does the politics of the US, especially as regard to race impact on okayplayer.com and, if so, how?<

>4. Who-what other sites-would you consider your rivals?<
I don't look at another site as a rival, but I do frequent and post on other boards. They have their own communities and set of written and unwritten rules. Then again, Okay Player has a number of different boards in the forum, while other sites may have one or two. What I also like about OkayPlayer is that you have a wide age-span. You have young fans who are either in high school or just starting college, then you have people in their mid/late-20's, 30's, even a few in their 40's. Okay Player stands out on its own, and I think the only time one needs to mention a rival is when someone brings it up. That's very much a high school mentality of "your board is better than mine". I've been on the internet for almost 10 years and that mentality was popular when the Usenet was one of the few ways of talking to each. The internet has grown, it is definitely worldwide, and for the most part the discussions show this as well. Okay Player welcomes any and all.

>5. What would you say are the most common topics on okayplayer.com boards and why?<
It depends on what board. When The Roots come out with a new project, the Artist section will be anything and everything Roots. Tours, TV and radio appearances, and now a new DVD. There are other groups who are consisted part of the OkayPlayer family, and they are equally talked about. In General Discussion, it can be anything from partying and having fun, current trends, the popularity of a television show, or a place to gather and meet everyone. In The Lesson, which is about music, anything goes. Sometimes it can be about how great Outkast are, othertimes it may be anxiety over Radiohead tour dates. Maybe someone listened to A Tribe Called Quest and wants to open up to the world of jazz. Someone might have turned on the radio and heard some old Anthrax songs, and they'll want some recommendations. The primary focus is always hip-hop, because it is a hip-hop site, but the other discussions show how diverse the musical tastes of its members are. In Reviews, it can be anything from a concert review, favorite cartoons to DVD box sets, foreign films, or a comic book series. It's very different all around, so there's something for everyone. If not, create a topic and see where it goes.

>6. Is cyberactivism a mechanism that marginalized communities can seriously consider employing in their sociopolitical struggles?<
Definitely. If an issue touches someone, they can state their opinion and make an immediate impact. I did so a few times away from OkayPlayer, and they worked. Being an "activist" of any kind carries a stigma, and it has one on OkayPlayer as well. In other words, if someone says something that may be considered a statement, they are often told to go to the Activist section. Yet the Activist section is one of the most opinionated and lively sections on the board. A lot of people came to OKP because of the Activist section. If you want to say something, you can be heard.

>7. What impact do musically based cyber communities have on individuals and society as a whole? (impacts: both real and ideal)<
On individuals, it makes a big impact because instead of waiting for someone in your city to have the same interests, you can meet someone 200, 500, 1000, 3000, 10000 miles away and literally "shoot the shit". I am part of a music community, a group of people I have "known" for about seven years. We are like family, and that's eerie because we know each other's business. We are most likely going to grow old together. In my real life, I have always seeked a sense of community because where I'm from, community is everything. Being anonymous on the internet is something that is attractive to many, but being part of a family in digital form is unique because it's the discovery of music, ideas, philosophies, concerns, politics, and fears through words. We as humans still have a sense of trust, and we have to build our trust on people through what we read. One of the members of the community I'm with is making a name for himself in music, and I hear he often gives us shoutouts at each performance. It is very much like that here on OKP as well. I look forward to meeting some OKP's too.

>8. Does limited / skewed access to the internet make it a medium that only reaches /speaks to a certain social strata? Is that problematic or an issue for okayplayer.com, and how do you rationalise/respond to it?<
Well yes, it does have its limitations. While OkayPlayer is a public site, not everyone has access to the site, or know how to access the site. Anyone can walk into a library and use the computer to jump onto the internet.

But we are in the computer age, and I hope if more schools are open to bringing in more technology, that technology will be avaliable to all. Away form OkayPlayer, that is mandatory. You can't function without a computer, the whole millennium/illuminati scare was proof.

However, I also think that OkayPlayer can extend its reach by working in and within the real communities of each city, state, and country. To have OkayPlayer not be just an online entity, but one that could possibly make some change if it seeked it.

Is it a problem? Not if something can be done, and OkayPlayer has proved time and time again that it can be done.

We're all here in a sense to salute one of our favorite bands, and in many ways we come together for the love of music. But music isn't our only interest, and I think the site proves that even with many variations and differences, good people can find each other.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
=========
Read my new weekly hip-hop column @

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu May-13-04 12:00 PM

9. "done."
In response to Reply # 0

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

rickyBUTLER

Thu May-13-04 12:02 PM

10. "i'm poetx, i can sound all intelligent."
In response to Reply # 9

watch me answer these questions in the best way possible.

bah

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Thu May-13-04 04:01 PM

13. "ja know? asshole. damn u poetx...n/m"
In response to Reply # 10

Avatar? Remembering Dr. John Henrik Clarke

www.gammaphieta.org

"You can have an individual be a superstar if he wants to, but if they don't believe in your chemistry, it will never work. That's one of the main reasons why I think Terrell Owens saw he wouldn't fit it. We're a family." -Ray Lewis... Philsopher,Dancer, BoneCrusher, OG, 9000 lb Rhino.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Fri May-14-04 08:45 AM

17. "my bad: i'll edit & replace all polysyllabs with "titti"
In response to Reply # 10

(damn, a brother can't get his armchair sociologist on?)

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Fri May-14-04 01:02 PM

18. "no. Editing is the LEAST you could do. I can't"
In response to Reply # 17

believe you forgot the titties. What are you thinking man?

Avatar? Remembering Dr. John Henrik Clarke

www.gammaphieta.org

"You can have an individual be a superstar if he wants to, but if they don't believe in your chemistry, it will never work. That's one of the main reasons why I think Terrell Owens saw he wouldn't fit it. We're a family." -Ray Lewis... Philsopher,Dancer, BoneCrusher, OG, 9000 lb Rhino.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sun May-16-04 06:57 AM

19. "true. what is gd without titties. i erred grievously."
In response to Reply # 18

they missed the hairy p*ssy post, too.

that was a proud week in okphistory.

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

aoxomoxoa
Charter member
2708 posts
Thu May-13-04 03:20 PM

11. "im gonna leave this anchored here into next week"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-14-04 04:51 AM

hope no one minds.

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Mon May-17-04 07:36 AM

20. "i mind!"
In response to Reply # 11

i'm so angry i could eat a kitten!

Lobby General Discussion General Discussion Archives topic #13349 Previous topic | Next topic