Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #81114

Subject: ""The Debut"" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 04:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""The Debut""

This movie about a Filipino American family hit theaters in Seattle this weekend. It should be showing up in Houston this Friday. It has already been successful in other cities and received a thumbs up from Roger Ebert. Heres a link for info: www.debutfilm.com.

Oh yeah, Rufio from Hook is in it!

wow i sound like a damn street teamer. anyway, proceeds from seattle and houston will bring the movie up to New York. holler.

"I got into hip hop when I first ordered Wu-Tang Forever
from my Dad's Columbia House music catalog" (c) JRennolds

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE:
Aug 19th 2002
word.
Aug 19th 2002
      RE: word.
Aug 19th 2002
           RE: word.
Aug 19th 2002
RE: "The Debut"
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
      RE: "american adobo"
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 19th 2002
Aug 20th 2002
huh?
Aug 20th 2002
      RE: huh?
Aug 20th 2002
      Rizal
Aug 20th 2002
           I have that movie.
Aug 20th 2002
                RE: I have that movie.
Aug 25th 2002
Aug 20th 2002
Aug 20th 2002
                i agree...
Aug 20th 2002
                     RE: i agree...
Aug 20th 2002
                     What's PCN?
Aug 20th 2002
                          RE: What's PCN?
Aug 20th 2002
                               RE: What's PCN?
Aug 21st 2002
Good replies, y'all
Aug 20th 2002
I just saw it!
Aug 20th 2002
the debut
Aug 22nd 2002
RE: the debut
Aug 22nd 2002
American Adobo
Aug 22nd 2002
See it twice.
Aug 23rd 2002
co-sign.
Aug 23rd 2002
RE: See it twice.
Aug 23rd 2002
RE: See it twice.
Aug 24th 2002
Wow.
Aug 25th 2002
Shockzilla?
Aug 26th 2002

pure tisay
Member since Jul 13th 2002
27 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 06:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0

yes. good movie. i saw it at the nfaya conference in atlanta last year. feels good to see fil-ams on the big screen

check it out!

peace love n blessings

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 08:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "word."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for replying - I know there's several Filipino OKPs out there. Whos that in your avatar?

"I got into hip hop when I
first ordered Wu-Tang Forever
from my Dad's Columbia House
music catalog" (c) JRennolds

pure tisay
27 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: word."
In response to Reply # 2

yah.. i'm a lil new around here )
my friend told me i needed an avatar...so here she is -- it's Yuri Kochiyama.

so you from seattle?
how's the weather?

peace.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 01:59 PM

7. "RE: word."
In response to Reply # 4

The weather's on and off today, but it got warm later in the afternoon. I wouldn't know, I was in the office all day

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 0

i live in nyc and i drove down to Va beach to see it. was good start for fil am films, hope they keep on coming. didn't get to see american adobo tho, heard it wasn't all that.

someone did scream out "GO, rufio!" in the movie and everyone busted out laughing.

peep it if you can.

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

pure tisay
27 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 12:32 PM

6. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 3

It was really wierd coz American Adobo was showing all over Florida - Tampa, Jacksonville - even Gainesville.. there was no advertising for it really though. I just happened to see the marquee at the theaters...I didn't get to see it though - I heard it wasn't that good...

Is that a Filipino American film? or is it a Filipino movie? Someone said it's a spoof of American Pie... or maybe they were joking... anyone seen it?

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: "american adobo""
In response to Reply # 6

not an american pie spoof at all. it was basically a filipino movie shot on location here in nyc. i heard at one point the sub-titling just stops for the rest of the movie. sucks if you don't understand tagalog.

http://www.americanadobo.com/

..|.,

JZen
Charter member
186 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 12:23 PM

5. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen it three times. I brought my folks to see it the second time. They loved it. It really made them reflect on the issues they had raising my siblings and me. I think it hits Seattle and Houston next... so I hope the OKP's out there try to catch it.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 02:01 PM

8. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 5

It's here in Seattle already, and starts in Houston this Friday.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 05:52 PM

10. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 0

sux yo... when it was in my neighborhood in LA, either a) all my homies saw it, b) all my homies werent interested (cuz they werent pinoy/pinay)... i heard it was phat tho... good to see it still makin its rounds...

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 05:59 PM

11. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 0

I saw it twice...when it premiered in LA and during it's long run at San Fran. I think that movie is okay and I champion the effort, but I heard that Lolo's Child, the Flipside, and American Adobo (which I've seen) are a little better. I think that the Debut tries to tackle too much in one movie, but that's just my opinion don't let it prevent you from seeing it.

<--- Still reppin' the Bay
Life. Love. Music:
http://vettievette.wordpress.com
http://sistamatikdjs.wordpress.com

Boromir
Charter member
202 posts
Mon Aug-19-02 09:27 PM

12. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 0

an awful movie from the awful writing to the awful direction... but I absolutely loved it, paid to see it twice..But damn, some of the worst writing ever written in the history of things that have been written. I still loved the movie though. I can't explain it. And it's not a so bad it's good movie. It's simply bad. Really bad. But I love the movie dearly. I'll probably get the DVD and watch it a lot.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 06:20 AM

13. "RE: "The Debut""
In response to Reply # 12

So you hated it but you loved it? There were some parts that were eh but the movie does have its moments. It's just good to see my people on the big screen. Hopefully it'll get on DVD. Or Betamax.

Mez
Charter member
278 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 06:23 AM

14. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 12

what are you trying to say?

i haven't seen this movie yet. i'm in the nyc area. i think it's great that Filipino Americans are making their own movies about their culture. but movies like this won't really be seen by people outside of the Filipino community. i understand that it is a step forward. but i'm waiting for the day when a Filipino director or actor will touch on a more broad, universal experience. and i'm not implying that one should sell out. i'm just saying that they shouldn't box themselves and limit their artistic expressions. movies like American Adobo almost sound laughable.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 06:59 AM

15. "RE: huh?"
In response to Reply # 14

A movie about Filipino revolutionaries in the early 20th century would be dope! Or maybe a director on some M Night shit.

Mez
Charter member
278 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 07:18 AM

16. "Rizal"
In response to Reply # 15

There was a movie about Jose Rizal that came out in the Philippines a few years ago. I never saw it but I heard it won a bunch of cinematic awards in the Philippines and Asia. And I'm NOT talking about your typical melodramatic Pinoy movie starring scantily clad bold actresses with big tits and actors with cheesy mustaches wielding guns. This is supposedly really well done.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 02:30 PM

21. "I have that movie."
In response to Reply # 16

My friend copped the video for me when he was in the PI. It's 2 tapes long (and it isn't a bootleg - lol).

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Sun Aug-25-02 04:02 PM

35. "RE: I have that movie."
In response to Reply # 21

what did you think of rizal? i been trying to see this for awhile. i aked my mom to get it on DVD when she was there, but she didn't find it.

..|.,

chillee
Charter member
163 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 07:29 AM

17. "RE: huh?"
In response to Reply # 14

I sort of understand what he's saying, but not to that extent.

The movie does not exactly have an original script. The director himself told me that after rewrite after rewrite, the movie took on the plot of the average teenage movie. But the fact that this is a teenage movie amongst filipino american makes this movie original and made me enjoy the film so much.

The acting isn't exactly the best either, in fact some of the characters are so laughable, but they do have a place in the movie. The characters range from the extreme activist to the FOB to the thug filipino.

The movie is extremely hilarious, though, if you are knowledgable about filipino culture. I'm sure you've heard or seen most of these jokes before, but to see them on the big screen is a totally different thing. Nothing original, but at the same time different (it's hard to get that point across until you see the movie.)

Even if you don't feel the movie, it is still a worthy cause. The director, Gene Cajayon, had gone through lots of bullshit and red tape from Hollywood to keep this film from being shown. That's why it's only being shown at one or two cities at a time. He's "four-walling" the movie (renting out a theatre at his own expense to show the movie in a certain city). After his run in that city ends, he takes the earnings to rent out a theatre in another city. And by word of mouth, this movie is slowing getting it's popularity. The Flipside & American Adobo are following in the success of the Debut's four-walling and are attempting it themselves.

Now I've seen American Adobo and the Flipside also and all three movies are totally different and a comparison is really unfair to all three movies. Adobo is really just a filipino (tagalog) movie in New York with a style like "the Big Chill" and an older target audience, maybe those in their 30's. It's also a very serious movie at times (and that's when it dragged on). The Flipside is a very "independent" film. It's got an art-house movie style. The direction reminded me of Clerks & the black n white film just says "Clerks" all over it. It is also very over the top and very funny, but at other times it overdramatized stereotypes and almost every character in the Flipside seemed like some kind of stereotype . "The Debut" is your typical Hollywood movie aimed at a teenage/college aged crowd. It's got a dance routine, cheesy love story, a moral at the end, etc. It's very formulaic but just being the first filipino-american film of it's kind makes it original in it's own sense.

http://twitter.com/chillee31

Boromir
Charter member
202 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 12:20 PM

18. "RE: huh?"
In response to Reply # 17

I absolutely feel the movie but only because I'm Filipino and I believe it was an honest and earnest effort put forth by everyone involved in the film. But basically it was a big budget PCN (Pilipino Cultural Night). And I've heard the writer try to say it wasn't, but face facts, it was. That's not a bad thing because I have a fondness for the PCN but PCN's are very sitcomish in nature

It wasn't a good movie as far as cinema goes. It was very on the surface and doesn't really do much digging into what it really means to be a Filipino American but it's a good start.

I love it for what it attempts to do. I love it since I get to see people like me on the big screen. I love it because it was a genuine labor of love put forth by the filmmakers.

But the dialogue was just awful and the cinematography, pedestrian. You can't deny that. Every character was a Filipino cliche and stereotype. I'm sorry the monologue about the cars and the white man keeping folks down with the fixing of cars was awful. The FOB character was just bad. The actors I thought did a great job with what little they had to work with. Motivation was not thought out as well for the characters. The main character's transformation from being turned off by his culture to being completely enamored by it was just not satisfying to me. It felt too easy. It had the quality of an episode of Moesha. With the same shortcuts and lack of depth.

Do I support this film? Hell yeah. I told a bunch of people to watch it. Like I said I paid to see it twice and dragged folks with me. Is it beyond criticism just because it's a movie about Fil-Am's and I'm one too. Hell no. One day we'll get it right. And I'm glad to see this on the big screen. And I encourage people to watch it. But I'm not gonna fool myself and proclaim this to be a great film.

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 01:52 PM

19. "i agree..."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Aug-20-02 01:54 PM

just because this movie represents filipino americans on film, does not mean we can't criticize it. it did feel like a big budget PCN, moreover it felt like your big budget typical PCN structure - whitewashed teen who discovers his culture. although a lot of PCN's take like 4 hours to tell this story with all the dances in between. i think the more abstract PCNs that Berkeley and UCLA have tried to accomplish within recent years are even better than the Debut (UCLA alum here). but the one thing that the Debut does accomplish is the fact that it is one of the first and only films that attempts to out reach to audiences beyond the Pilipino community. Furthermore, it is a labor of love and I love my people , my community for puttin' this film out there.

Life. Love. Music:

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 04:06 PM

22. "RE: i agree..."
In response to Reply # 19

YA!! UCLA baby....

sonofabitch school is hard tho...

Mez
Charter member
278 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 04:59 PM

23. "What's PCN?"
In response to Reply # 19

I'm not familiar with that term Pilipino Cultural Night? Is that a California thing?

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 05:26 PM

24. "RE: What's PCN?"
In response to Reply # 23

I think that's what they call it down there. It's basically a end of the year showcase. It could simply be a talent show, a musical production, play, etc. Up here we call it Filipino Night, and there's another one called Barrio Fiesta.

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Wed Aug-21-02 05:07 AM

26. "RE: What's PCN?"
In response to Reply # 24

most of the ones in Cali (where it started, reprazent!) are plays/musicals. some productions, like UCLA's, can get really elaborate costing upwards of $20,000 (this includes theatre rental, costumes, etc.) and fortunately with the support of the student-run group funding and support from the community it can be pulled off. more recently, groups have tried to get really experimental with the way that PCNs are presented, choosing to stray from the typical script/dance format and doing stuff like vignettes, multi-media productions, etc. now that i'm an alum, i can enjoy it...because being involved is really stressful! we're talking mental breakdowns and crying, etc.

Life. Love. Music:

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 02:24 PM

20. "Good replies, y'all"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks and I love y'all for the opinions.

The situation is getting heated up here in Seattle, and drama is starting already. Not many people are packing the theaters after 3 hard weeks of promotion (and a MTV commerical, too). Fingers are being pointed on the website's board. It's a mess but I'm trying to turn this shit into something more positive.

I'm going to see it tonight and see what the hell is going on at the theaters.

peace

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Tue Aug-20-02 05:29 PM

25. "I just saw it!"
In response to Reply # 20

Well I just came back from the theater (it was my third time seeing it). I took mom dukes with me and she loved it. Not a very good turnout but people enjoyed themselves.

I spoke to John (the co-writer) and his expectations seem pretty low now. They aren't giving up, though. We'll see.

peace

RufiOoOoO
Member since Jul 11th 2002
22 posts
Thu Aug-22-02 08:21 AM

27. "the debut"
In response to Reply # 0

didnt know there were some flip okplayers up in here. thats dope. man, when i went to cali last year i never even heard about the debut. my cousins took me to see it. i thought it was the greatest thing to see a filipino movie at a movie theater. the movie was great. seein rufio(dante basco) again on the big screen was cool, brought flashback to grammar school tho(when hook came out everyone started callin me rufio). also joy bisco is dope as hell!!!!. damn when is this movie comin to jersey. been waiting for a year and a half. i saw american adobo when it was here in jerzee. i dunno i wasnt really feelin it. i guess i was spoiled by the debut or sumtin like that. peace y'all!

"you belong in special ed if you think you've got it made"-J-Live "braggin writes"

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Thu Aug-22-02 09:29 AM

28. "RE: the debut"
In response to Reply # 27

Not a whole lot of people are feeling "American Adobo". I haven't seen it yet, though. After the Seattle and Houston runs, they plan on going to NY, so you should make your way up there when they go.

Check out www.debutfilm.com

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Thu Aug-22-02 01:08 PM

29. "American Adobo"
In response to Reply # 0

is a different type of movie...it's not aimed towards teenagers...but more for 20-30 year olds. it's looking at relationships - family, love, lovers, etc. i thought it was little too long for my liking...but i still think that the movie does a good job at getting its message across. and besides, Paolo Montalban is FOINE!@ hahahah.

Life. Love. Music:

FreeThought
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
600 posts
Fri Aug-23-02 07:34 AM

30. "See it twice."
In response to Reply # 0

Good movie. Some formulaic story elements and some of the acting (mostly his two caucasian friends) is not great, but overall worth seeing. The best part about the film is that I think it stays true to the filipino-american experience and doesn't succumb to the white Hollywood formula. in a typical white hollywood film, everyone would be best friends at the end and it would probably end with big hugs and crying. This movie keeps it real. I love that about it. Besides, it is a trip just to see a real full legth feature that is almost totally brown faces.

I posted about the film here when it came to LA and it got a lot of good responses. Big ups to daps1 for keeping it going like that.

Saw it twice myself. Being in LA and an aspiring pinoy film maker myself, I think this film will open some doors for me and others like me. We need to see more brown folks on the big screen, no doubt. Also it was nice to see Q-bert representing on the Soundtrack as well as LA area DJ's Icey-Ice and E-man (they are the DJ's at the Debut party). Oh and let's not forget those fine women from Premeire.

Anyway, good looking out. I urge you all to see this film. Bring friends. See it twice. Pay full price. And spread the word when it comes to your town.

Keep this post alive.

1love.

http://twitter.com/bigdumbme

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Aug-23-02 10:24 AM

31. "co-sign."
In response to Reply # 30

I actually saw it with Free Thought. Funny. Good movie. Spread the word.

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Fri Aug-23-02 12:03 PM

32. "RE: See it twice."

in my opinion, think to say that it is true to the filipino american experience would be going too far. i think that the film, while it had the intent of highlighting the fil-am experience, ended up presenting an exaggeration of the experience. because compared to other films focused on the experiences of other ethnic groups like, Mi Familia or Soul Food, the Debut doesn't even come close in terms of capturing the essence of Pilipino American life. Though I thought there were representations I can identify with, I think that the characters in the Debut were mere caricatures and didn't really present what it's like to be a Pinoy/Pinay in America. It would be different if the movie was meant to be a satire like the Flipside, but it wasn't.

Life. Love. Music:

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Sat Aug-24-02 06:58 AM

33. "RE: See it twice."

Thanks bro.

(you can also find me on the Debut message boards, too. *shhh*)

Battousai
Charter member
4386 posts
Sun Aug-25-02 07:20 AM

34. "Wow."
In response to Reply # 0

I kinda figured this post would bring all the OkayPinoys out of the woodwork. Moderator: Please archive so if we ever decide to have a reunion we'll know who to contact. I'll throw in another name for this: roamr1, just because he rarely posts anymore.

Opinion on the movie? Pretty good first attempt, though I thought the story was rather derivative of many PCN skits I've seen over the years. Nice to see Eddie Garcia and Tirso Cruz III in this production though--I thought it was cool to get actors from the home country to play the older generation, as they can actually empathize with the bewilderment that I'm sure many Filipino parents feel about their Americanized kids.

--

Your San Francisco Giants: 4.26.2005 - 8.15.2005.

daps1
Charter member
4520 posts
Mon Aug-26-02 06:15 AM

36. "Shockzilla?"
In response to Reply # 34

Yes. I agree with archiving this post. It'll be good reference in the future (sorry i had to up it, though, looks like people got thier kicks in).

Since I'm upping it, let me mention that I saw it again last night. Good shit, and my sister liked it, too.

peace

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #81114 Previous topic | Next topic