Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #81074

Subject: "Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Timeless Music
Member since Sep 01st 2002
1 posts
Sun Sep-01-02 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th"

This is my first time posting, which is ironic because I go to a lot of shows, but bare with me, and this may turnout to be a lesson for all artists.

I received an email from a group named Kava promoting this show at the Elbow Room in NYC, and when I saw the name Bilal as the headliner, I had to go, because "2nd 1st Born" is one of my favorite pieces of music.

I got there right before Kava's set, and I must say they were really good, his songs had messages that I was definately feeling, I especially like this one song called "Family Tree" and after that song he threw out shirts for the women, a touch of class I must say. If you have a chance to see this band you should check them out, I have a feeling they are going to make some noise in the industry real soon.

Now onto Bilal, eventhough there was a group that came on before him, but I did not get to check them out, sorry. So the room is packed, because the man everyone came to see is about to come on and bless the stage. So why, and please if any of Bilal's people read this, why on earth would he come on stage and say to the crowd "..this is not my band, i'm the bass player in this band, we are the Wolf Nipple Chips..."???? and then go on to say "..I was walking to my car to get my bass, and I saw a flyer with me kissing this light skin jones from the video...come see Bilal sing his last album...well guys i'm fucking sorry...but your all kin to me..."???? and what made it so bad was somebody from the audience yelled out "..I have your CD.." or something like that and Bilal responds "..thank you, now if everyone would tell a fucking friend, I would go platinum.."

That statement was humorous, it made the crowd laugh, but they had no idea that the joke was on them. My point is if you have a room full of supporters, whether your gold, platinum, or bronze, you should perform for them to the best of your ability. This is my first time ever seeing Bilal perform and he gets on stage and does an ok rendition of Bob Marley's "Catch a Fire", then goes on to freestyling lyrics saying and I quote "I only been playing bass for 3 months and don't give a fuck..." Is this what you tell a crowd who just spent $10 dollars to watch you perform. Honestly the only highlights of his performance, were the jam session, he actually asked if there any bass players in the place, and when a bassist came on stage and reached for his bass he says "..oh no you can't have my bass..you grab that GUITAR over there.."??? He also had some mc's come up and rhyme, that was cool. But the biggest news of the night was his announcement that his next album will be on Aftermath records, maybe a new label is what he needs, because that night was a horrible display of appreciation to the ones who were there to enjoy the music that brought them there in the first place.

Overall the night was not waisted, because I got to see a real good band, Kava and also a cameo appearance by Erykah Badu and Common.

Thanks,
Swift1

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That's really sad...
Sep 01st 2002
RE: Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th
Sep 02nd 2002
The Devil Has Won ......
Sep 02nd 2002
Sep 02nd 2002
Sep 03rd 2002
thanks for the more in-depth review
Sep 04th 2002
RE: thanks for the more in-depth review
Sep 08th 2002
      RE: thanks for the more in-depth review
Sep 09th 2002
Bilal is funny
Sep 05th 2002
Bilal is funny as hell!!
Sep 22nd 2002
hahahahah
Sep 26th 2002

SpookyElectric
Charter member
11305 posts
Sun Sep-01-02 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That's really sad..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think there should be some kind of intervention to get Bilal off of whatever he's using.

"Everyone knows Republicans love this country, they just hate half the people in it"!!! (c) Jon Stewart

"I will NOT be getting my anchovy on"!!! (c)Black Thought

X-Box Live: SixSeven83

PSN: SixSeven83

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Jay6Seven83

billa
Charter member
486 posts
Mon Sep-02-02 04:08 AM

2. "RE: Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry to keep on jumping in on these posts....

Bilal has been doing an experimental jazz type show all summer over NYC and Bklyn....sorry if you all are not feeling it,...maybe there was some misrepresentation on the flyer,...I don't know....but I personally have enjoyed the improv nature of his show's lately....I personally am not looking forward to a Bilal album on aftermath....I see nothing good out of that type of paring....how many real "artists" are on aftermath....next time you hear about one of these shows featuring Wolfe Nippel Chips inbox me....I would love to go again....long live the artist!!!

1yerself

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Mon Sep-02-02 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
3. "The Devil Has Won ......"
In response to Reply # 2

>sorry to keep on jumping in on these posts....
>
I personally am not
>looking forward to a Bilal album on aftermath....I see
>nothing good out of that type of paring....how many real
>"artists" are on aftermath....

Let me co-sign on that one. The devil said that he didn't want "quality" poluting the airwaves, and he has officially got his wish. I'm praying that Bilal will deliver more,"When Will You Call" tracks, as well as "Second Child" like tracks. Bottom line: Hoping that he won't lose his edge.

Silk.
Later

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

J Sil
Member since Sep 02nd 2002
1 posts
Mon Sep-02-02 10:26 AM

4. "RE: Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th"
In response to Reply # 2

Yo I was at that show, and your right experimental jazz is cool sometimes, even improv stuff, but I was towards the rear of the crowd, and when you see people starting to walk out saying "what the hell is this" then I think it's time for the expirement to be over...lol.

That Kava cat was tight as hell, i'ma check for him...there was also a group called EOW after Bilal, and their band was tight as hell to. I'm just saying the only band I ever saw do a improv/open mic/open instrument show was the roots at the wetlands a few years ago, and that went off real smooth. Yeah the cat didn't have his band, but at least he could of freaked "Sometimes" or a few other joints off his CD with different music, I just don't see a cat going platinum if he doesn't satisfy the people, I literally saw at least 7 people walk out and that's not good business, because if they tell a friend what made them walk out, then what? Peace

Mr_Kava
Charter member
804 posts
Tue Sep-03-02 04:46 PM

5. "RE: Bilal/Elbow Room/NYC/Aug.28th"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the feedback, my band has been at this for a minute, and it looks like things are starting break open for us. I really consider that night a blessing, from the way it all came together(which is a wild story, i'll share that with ya'll on a later note), to ending up opening for Bilal, and actually being on stage with him, doing my craft in front of Com Sense and Erykah, i'm still in shock.

Well we don't have any set dates yet, we have some offers, and we also have a spot inJersey that seats 1300 and were looking for a headliner..if anybody has any suggestions or connections, get back to me. (mr_kava@hotmail.com)

Look out for our website, it's in the process of being designed, and if you get a chance to come check us, please do so. Once again thanks. Later.

Kava

Music is the key to my soul

aftershock
Member since Jun 14th 2002
261 posts
Wed Sep-04-02 02:32 PM

6. "thanks for the more in-depth review"
In response to Reply # 0

than the one somebody posted on okayartist board. do you know what kind of bass he was playing? could he play bass well?

Mr_Kava
Charter member
804 posts
Sun Sep-08-02 03:43 PM

8. "RE: thanks for the more in-depth review"
In response to Reply # 6

He wasn't that bad on the bass, you can tell he has an ear for music, but from what i'm reading I guess other people didn't think so. Bilal keep doing your thing man. Hey does anybody know how I can get in contact with Talib Kweli's booking people??? (I guessI should put that on the Okay Artists board)

Music is the key to my soul

Aquaman
Charter member
8116 posts
Mon Sep-09-02 05:59 AM

9. "RE: thanks for the more in-depth review"
In response to Reply # 8

"he wasn't that bad on bass"

People... have our expectations of performers and musicians alike gone downhill this poorly. Bilal is a bum these days...
experimental music is one thing... someone posing with a bass and has only known how to play for three months??? bums get no love...

"I'm like Aquaman and Brownhornet, Imhotep but don't flaunt it" - the mighty Black Thought

"We.. (puff, puff) gotta make some changes ya dig? (puff, puff) I mean... dayum... brothers gotta work it out (puff, puff)... What's this a Dutch? Damn you aint

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Thu Sep-05-02 08:05 AM

7. "Bilal is funny"
In response to Reply # 0

esp. live. You're def rolling dice when you go to see him. That Aftermath rumor is bad news. The two Dre tracks were easily my least favorite on the record and got skipped damn near everytime.
BTW

sugarflyy
Charter member
4403 posts
Sun Sep-22-02 01:47 PM

10. "Bilal is funny as hell!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The Omen is that shyt, damn that lil boy bad.

America is a dead ho. -Dick Gregory

TrickyKid
Charter member
2932 posts
Thu Sep-26-02 07:42 AM

11. "hahahahah"
In response to Reply # 10

funny review. so hes on the bass these days? interesting..

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #81074 Previous topic | Next topic