Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78627

Subject: "Levi's in DC" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 08:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Levi's in DC"

I'm on first...

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - home of
Miscellaneous Flux, the only band on
earth I would take a bullet for. support
them now or face an eternal damnation of
Lil Romeos.

Miscellaneous Flux and Moya @ State of
the Union, Friday October 12, doors at
8:30pm...$10 and worth every penny
(party all night afterwards....hip-hop
in the front and I think reggae in the back)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Levi's in DC
Oct 11th 2001
now the review....
Oct 11th 2001
NoOmarComment?
Oct 12th 2001
Oct 11th 2001
Oct 12th 2001
      Mr. Brother_Brown
Oct 12th 2001
I love Talib
Oct 12th 2001
RE: I love Talib
Oct 12th 2001
I'm saying
Oct 12th 2001
Oh boy...
Oct 12th 2001
uh huh
Oct 12th 2001
My ears are still ringing
Oct 12th 2001
hate begins here
Oct 12th 2001
RE: Levis in DC last night
Oct 12th 2001
      was I there???
Oct 12th 2001
kill the soundboy
Oct 12th 2001
the beard guy...
Oct 15th 2001
Oct 12th 2001
my journey to see the roots + guests
Oct 12th 2001
RE: my journey to see the roots + guests
Oct 12th 2001
No Res?
Oct 12th 2001
Oct 12th 2001
and by the way
Oct 12th 2001
THAT
Oct 13th 2001
Oct 12th 2001
ckirk
Oct 12th 2001
THANKS B KYLE!!
Oct 12th 2001
Iss offishallll!!!!!!
Oct 12th 2001
'N I like iiit } N/M
Oct 12th 2001
GOOD N/M
Oct 12th 2001
It was a good night!
Oct 12th 2001
let me guess
Oct 12th 2001
hey yall
Oct 12th 2001
Applause
Oct 13th 2001
      preditor
Oct 13th 2001
      right
Oct 13th 2001
      About AJ... !
Oct 15th 2001
           RE: About AJ... !
Oct 15th 2001
                Just let me know 1 thing:
Oct 15th 2001
                RE: About AJ... !
Oct 16th 2001
(icepack on my nose....)
Oct 13th 2001
what all did jazzy jeff play?
Oct 13th 2001
shit like...
Oct 13th 2001
mr. bobdobalina.
Oct 15th 2001

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 0

It was the SHIT!!!!
Like really.
Whoa.
Everyone was tight.
AJ from 106 and park even showed up and I swear to god he knew the lyrics to silent treatment, he was all trying to dance too..LOL.
Even Musiq did his thing..and I am not a big fan.
The jazzies looked ..whoa..and I love that new song they play the second one I heard it before but I had to give it love.
Hearing "water" is always dope, talib was dope, ndea was dope, Omar ripped..shit I gotta think of more things to say besides that it was absolutely the shit.

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

Watch my slowly growing webpage - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~slogerfo/

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 08:39 PM

2. "now the review...."
In response to Reply # 0

first off, the most instructive thing for me about this tour -- as a performing artist myself -- is watching Questlove the bandleader...talking to stage hands as he banged with one stick, mouthing cues to Hub, even raising three fingers to signal to an almost-leaving Jaguar that she had to stay on stage for "The Lesson Pt. III" (LOL!!!!!!).

my personal favorite moment was Yahrazah (sp?). She rocked the hell out of the one song she got to perform (Blackstar) and flipped the ill jazz vocal runs at the end...

Talib got a lot of love from the folks in the front with me....I did my part to keep em hype...Talib, you owe me a dollar. LOL. Fools acting like they didn't know Quest was playing the drums to "Re-Definition" or something, standing there like sheep while I was getting hype from the first licks.

Hurray to the Bone Thugs lookalikes who rushed the front when Talib came on, then rushed away when he finished. These same guys tried to fight some poor white guy with his date AS SOON AS the show ended. Like they figured their thug passes would get rovoked if they left for home without a black eye. Nothing happened as near as I could see...

N'Dea Davenport...I didn't hear the intro and joked to the guy next to me "Look it's Diana Ross" before she started singing. Ha. She killed it though.

(quick note to The Roots fam: please replace "Water" with "Rock You". If you're gonna do new material, I think it should be of the crowd banger variety, not the "hey, ya gotta listen close to catch the point of this jawn" variety)

Let's see....big up to my man Fong Sai Yu (a.k.a. Divine) keeping it live with Scratch on the two-man dance routine...I couldn't hear his rhymes on the Lesson Pt III verse though...(Mad) Skillz killed it...

Jaguar rocked again. Although her "let's do something fun" bit seemed to have elicited a less than enthusiastic facial expression from the Quester...LOL.

where the hell did Hub and Scratch go for half the show? Ha.

And my last question: why, why, WHY was Jazzy Jeff there and he didn't get an oppurtunity to scratch the hook for "Next Movement". Arrrrggggghhhhhh.

ps: Jazzyfatnastees....your stage presence is looking looser and more fun...good, keep it coming...and, ahem, y'all looked damn good in those outfits. big up, levis. ha.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - home of
Miscellaneous Flux, the only band on
earth I would take a bullet for. support
them now or face an eternal damnation of
Lil Romeos.

Miscellaneous Flux and Moya @ State of
the Union, Friday October 12, doors at
8:30pm...$10 and worth every penny
(party all night afterwards....hip-hop
in the front and I think reggae in the back)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "NoOmarComment?"
In response to Reply # 2

El'Bee: (120/1??) www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/
| rush | JPEG | little | hip hop kid | basically | underground |

https://digife.com

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 11:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 0

First and foremost, I would like to apologize to ?uestlove and the entire Roots and Okayplayer community about comments I made recently about "not wasting $25" on a Roots show. (Reality was, I forgot about both shows and didn't SPEND 25 dollars, not WASTE, terrible choice of words...), but I've been known to screw up before, it won't be the last time (grins)..

I believe that every Roots show I have EVER gone to, has been, in retrospect, always WAY MORE than what you paid for at the front gate... doesn't matter what crowd or who is in the audience.

Performers:
Jazzys- you ladies, man, I just wish you the best. The reality is, sometimes, a smile is all a person needs. And Mercedes is wonderful at that. I remember when I first met the Jazzies in Boston the day before their release date, how gracious (I even got to see "Dr Dre" Scott Storch.. lol. Ladies, in the fullest extent of the word. I cannot wait for your new material on CD.

Talib Kweli- 1,2,3,4, tell DC they don't want no more! This cat was Johnny Blaz'n it. I mean, it was hype. I believe that the album tracks are PERFECT songs to play in front of a group of people (I would REALLY love to see HiTek and Talib feat. Les Nubians.... that would be a sight to see), but right now, the safe songs are the ones that everyone loves... Name of the Game, Move Something, K.O.S., etc. Love em everytime they get played. Kweli, if u reading this, I met you at Boston College when you went to discuss oppression a few years back. That was enlightening... thanks.

Musiq Soulchild- I like the CD, the performances were OK. I really loved how "Just Friends" was done, that was beautiful. I am not sure, but I believe Musiq suffered from the extremely "bassy" sound in the club "Nation"... not to say it was bad, but his kind of music deserves less "reverb", not sure if anyone else noticed this.

Omar- Again, this cat did some good material. I felt it and it was great, (if I can interpolate Musiq's performance on stage as to how his CD sounds, I would DEFINITELY get Omar's CD -- another case of the "reverb" virus...) But the joint was on point and I can't wait to hear him on Common's new album.

Yazamarah (spelling is probably way off)-
WOW. All I'm going to say is, THANK GOD I'M IN DC. I will definitely be checking her out a little closer. She definitely seems to have potential and the range on the vocals had me jumping out of my shoes while I was still in em. Nice job.

Jaguar-
you know, maybe you should have a designated "wack mofo" to pick on each show. lol.. I love the whole routine. The persona, the attitude, the bravado, the voice. When's the album coming out again!? Nov 12!? MCA, get on your fucking horse man. This shit is gonna be good.

Hip hop overall sound = good
Male r&b = too much reverb
female r&b = i think the reverb actually helped them.

James Poyser on the keys was a real nice touch. I'm still wondering if he worked on Kenny Lattimore's album, if anyone has the answer to that question, hook me up.

Either way, thanks y'all.
And again, I apologize.

-Jose

e-me: jose3030@hotmail.com
IM: jose3030
3030 show: http://24.18.168.183:554/ramgen/encoder/okayplayer.ram

brother_brown
Charter member
32 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 02:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 3

First, I want to thank BKyle for hooking up the tix. (Let's hope I have a job today since I snuck out that joint yesterday.) To John, Joe, Kendra, Vikki and all the people who had me trippin' out yesterday, thank you. Y'all made my day. It was worth the time sitting on that hard ass flagpole stand.

I really don't have a review per se, I would just pretty much echo what jose and spirit said. The moment for me was Omar. He was one of the artists I was looking forward to seeing. Straight ripped "Little Boy" and "Nothing Like This." I wish he had done at least two more songs and something from the new album "Best By Far." Omar PLEASE come back to the DC area or NYC for that matter. I will be up in that camp FO' SHO'!

Everybody did their thing and I may have to head out to the Levi's store and pick up (another) pair of Engineerd jeans. Those black joints are tight!

Glad to meet some of the local okayplayas. Let's do it again soon. (Stop being a lurker Kendra. You'se a trip girl!)

bruh brown

And just like the sea has spent eternity at the mercy of the moon/So have I for you. - Nikka Costa

www.autopond.net - Let's play!

Hey,hey hey mullafucka! - 40 Year old Virgin

www.myspace.com/peewee202

nattyhead
Charter member
2084 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 07:16 AM

17. "Mr. Brother_Brown"
In response to Reply # 5

I hope that this reaches you in a good spirit and A JOB. See what lurking can do...if I wasnt lurking then I would have ever seen your post. We need to hang out. I hope you enjoyed the show b/c i didnt see you at all. Inbox me

1/2 of the C & P Demons Inc.

"Hello, Im the guy God made you for." -Cee Lo

He's the perfect man for my soul!

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 02:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I love Talib"
In response to Reply # 0

Firstly, Jazzy Jeff is the man. This is the second time I've seen him and I seriously wonder how deep this man's crate are...unbelievable. He pulled out all the old skool hits and had to crowd going beserk.

I really liked that format that the Roots laid down. I'm still tired so I'll post later...but it was tired.

----------------------
i would not reject
my strength
though its source
is not choice
but responsibility

i would not reject my light
though my wrinkles r also illuminated

"Boxes" (c) Nikki Giovanni ((exerpt))

-----------------------------------
we aint the two and i aint the one- lyte

Triptych
Charter member
30126 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 03:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
6. "RE: I love Talib"
In response to Reply # 4

Interesting points:

::Jazzy Jeff and the Neverending Crate
in the beginning I was like, "Dope, I have all these records" Then he started to dig a little and I was like, "Well, I don't have these records." Later, "I also don't have these skills" Jazzy Jeff spun one of the best hip-hop/soul/funk sets I've ever seen live.

::Jaguar
Making dudes uncomfortable

::Questlove
Running shit from the throne in the back. I saw you riding the high hat and the kick after dropping your stick - Haha. I don't know how he can play drums and drink water and yell at people all at once, but he can.

::B.Kyle
Thanks for the ticket, bro. Too bad security cats had to shut down your front row photo ops.

::Hub
Facing the crowd, laughing and smiling

Mos def a good show. It's tough to beat a free show with these artists. I brought my Abercrombied out white friend - he had a good time too.

============
Professor Frink, Professor Frink
He makes you laugh, he makes you think
He likes to run and then the thing
with the.... Ahem! person...
Oh boy... that monkey is going to pay.

*Long standing member of Dudez a Plenti

Oh, touché Rupert! Hoisted by my own petard! ....I am so alone. -Stewie, Family Guy

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 06:20 AM

14. "I'm saying"
In response to Reply # 6

>::Jazzy Jeff and the Neverending Crate
>
>in the beginning I was like,
>"Dope, I have all these
>records" Then he started to
>dig a little and I
>was like, "Well, I don't
>have these records." Later,
>"I also don't have these
>skills" Jazzy Jeff spun
>one of the best hip-hop/soul/funk
>sets I've ever seen live.

dude was bringing it all back. 2nd time seeing him and I can't wait til the next!!! '93 til Infinity'???? Stop playing.

>::Jaguar
>Making dudes uncomfortable
>

she was hilarious as usual...however I don't think the dudes were feeling her rant this time...that get the eff out mighta alienated 'em all. REcord sales, girl...be nicer for now...lol

Ain't nothin wrong with Abercrombie, but chinese food makes me sick...lol

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 09:27 PM

31. "Oh boy..."
In response to Reply # 6

>::Jaguar
>Making dudes uncomfortable

Again?
I'm begining to wonder about some of yall DC babies...uhh...dudes...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 06:17 AM

13. "uh huh"
In response to Reply # 4

artists' mike coulda been louder but the music/sound was pumping. All I needed to hear were the intros to Kweli songs and I was already amped.
As for ur review,

I'm not a big Roots fan either but I do dig the way they can turn tracks/drum machines without losing the quality like alot of hip hop 'bands' do...they r the epitomy of their niche...I do give them that.

I guess being familair with the artists and the format led me to enjoy the show more cuz I thought it was great...Jag's Ain't Nobody Playing and The Lesson Pt 3 are always enuf to rock it for me!!! But in surveying the crowd from the top (boooo y'all for jetting on us) it seemed as if everyone was enjoying the show sound or not. No one however had the crowd as hyped as Jazzy Jeff (OHMIGAWD) or Kweli (heads were getting elbowed and thrown...lol) or even Biz (2 half songs???? come on now).

I wasn't feeling Omar too too much...I wasn't getting any energy from the cat and Yazarah is dope however her singing and that mikes did not mix...N'Dea is a goddess and did Heavy material like I hoped she would. I would've like more familair Jazzie songs but they gotta promote their new ish...I was digging the new dance routines tho!!! Go la-dies!!! Anyways, aside from these things the show was still up there...uh and pple it was for a good cause and free so kill the noise. BKyle is the best and I love GLOW MEDIA!!!!!

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 03:32 AM

7. "My ears are still ringing"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay... from the beginning:

Outside- real cool. Met up w/ some Okay Fam and chatted sipping libation through deer park water bottle. Mmmm those tasty beverages.

Inside- Jazzy Jeff spinning hot jawns and Binlahab and me doin' it up. Free polaroids! Always a plus.

Then we got to the back area. Jazzy Jeff and the neverending crates...Lawd! I just couldn't stop dancing! Thanks to the cats and Bonamie for vibin' with old school Faheeeeeeeeem! I couldn't take it!!!! Too much fire. And the hand skills....Yeeesh! Jazzy Jeff, you'se a bad mutha-shut yo mouf!

The Roots- What can I say...started out with some old school rendition, then brought out Biz Markie!!!!! What da pluck! Jeffs crates got ppl in 'em! The way they performed/hosted was too tight.

Jazzies- Too everything. Too tight, too beautiful, too elegant with they soulful selves. They had me from the first note.

Yazarah- Knocked 'em dead yo! DC repped in full. When's ya jawn droppin ma?

N'dea Dav- Wow. She had me zoning like whoa. Great set.

Omar- His cd is hot!!!! (Peace to Giovanni for the hook up)
He did a great job vibing his set. There was a shortie in the front who wasn't vibing cat. I was like "you don't like Omar????"
she was like "I'm not feeling him" I was like "well come here and dance with me, by the time he's through, you'll dig him." She came...she did.

Talib- lyrical prowess, breath control was tight (ya'll know he be spittin') stage presence sick! His set was bangin too.

The other guy- DC cat. I wasn't really feelin dude.

Musiq- I liked cat's performance. I dug his set and when he came on right in the Roots set...tight!!! Cat can get down!

Jaguar- Maaaaaaaan! Shortie put it down. Bravado, presence, oh...and her water bottle was a little yellow to be just water. Hum well! Do ya thang miss! The set was extra bangin'!

My favorite part of the whole thing was the jam session at the end! Mad Skills (glad to see ya back Dunn!), Dice Raw, Divine, Aries, Jag, Roots, James P, well shit....everybody!!! The shit was peace!

Great show!!!
Mad love, Holla!!!!

**********Mad Love to The Sigs**********

DomePomePoets- We live the word and love the word...as it should be.

God wanted to change the world, so she made me a poet- Anon.
s-poken word
a-ddicts
g-riots
e-volutionary
s-torytellers - (c) Brother Muse, DPP finest

vergemag.com

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 04:41 AM

8. "hate begins here"
In response to Reply # 0

post rider: i have an issue w/ any corporation sponsering any type of "art" (i mean the jump from that to bling mentality cant be too far right?) but ppl got mouths to feed, bills to pay, i cant be mad, so I'll just go to okayactivist and whine about how everything is for sale later.

as for the show:

fuck everything you heard, Jazzy Jeff made that bitch. Dude is tight, obviously, and I had to thank him personally for creating 'Summertime' and making my adolescence that much more bearable. and he said 'Thanks.' good shit.

Roots came out, and they were....aite. (i'm not much of a Roots fan, so my opinion is biased.) We're they hot? I dont know, but they damn sure LOOKED hot with all the heavy ass jean suits on and shit. The music was cool, someone put Hub on like level 20 as far as bass goes

'i can feel it in my chest' ~ Lucy Likka

and its my dumb ass fault to try to bring the love section mentality everywhere I go, I was just too damn close to the speakers, because I couldn't hear shit. literally. I mean I was bombarded with sound, no doubt, but couldn't HEAR it, unless I plugged my ears and then I could hear a little of it. I dunno about ya'll, but I feel like I can lounge @ my fucking crib, soon as I saw the couch on stage I was like 'this is gonna be anti-crunk. Boo.' Silent Treatment was dope, but thats only because I know it.

Yahzarah...highlight of the show (IMHO) was the Unannouced appearance of Her Left Nipple about midsong. nice brown areolae. Yum. The music itself, was cool...once again, i made out 0 lyrics, and barely heard the jazz scat shit @ the end. based on nipple appearance tho, I wanna see her again.

Jazzies..I personally was waiting on them, hoping for something from tracks 1 - 6 from the once and future. not gonna happen. as it was, the choregraphed dancing was...cute. The songs themselves, cute. I read the other reviews, apparently 'Water' is a big Jazzie tune, judging by the crowd reaction, apparently they ripped, the only thing that got ripped last night imho was my eardrums.

oh yeah, Biz Mark was on Bling+10 with the diamond encrusted mix tape pendant. spend some of that dough on slim fast, playboy, that much weight round the midsection is antiplayer, and just aint healthy.

Ndea Davenport. pleasant surprise, i think my main gripe w/ the whole show is not the artists its my unfamiliarity w/ their music...I knew the songs I knew, and thought that those songs were tight but everything else, was merely ok (and in the DC cats case....forgettable...)

speaking of the dc cat...Vinnie ___________ whatever his name was? More crowd interaction player, you should have been the hypest nigga onstage...which leads me to

Kweli...hype show. THATS GOOD SHIT, ARTISTS...save that old I'm playing it cool, lounging w/ the celebrities shit for in the studio, when your live, motherfuckers, BE LIVE. talk to the crowd, interact, say whats up to folks, try to draw ppl in, dont just sit around and sing your song, scat a few minutes, and chunk em the deuce! Kweli got ppl hype, almost got some ppl elbowed in the face up in the front (I was waiting on Del to give me the go ahead, personally) but thats cool, drop those pretensions, let your hair down, do more then throw ya hands in the air and wave like you just dont care (now who was REALLY doing that last night, besides Twist and myself?) crowd participation is essential to live performance otherwise, nigga, throw on a dat or something, smoke another J w/ AJ and White TShirt Man behind the drum riser...aka WHAT THE HELL DID YOU COME ONSTAGE FOR?

Omar....not familiar enough w/ his material however, he was the only cat I heard actively urged to exit the stage, from where I was, thats not a good sign. Altho Sha's homegirl thinks he's tight. (slow head shake.)

del, sha, twist, grav, nattyhead, bonamie, tha ant, the musiq lookalike, the cat who left his job to come to a Roots show (?), the 2 regular looking ppl, the alternative whiteboys, Sum 41, Baby O and her Big sister, Sherise, the ever elusive Ms Jennifer, and the rest of your misfits...whats up...nice seeing ya'll again....only folks missing were the original Brownie ppl, shepoet, rem doggie dogg, and Wise Is MIA. (speaking of rem and grav, is the belly warmer gossip true?)

"Holla." ~ AJ the Wookie Boy, aka Mr. Cornlocs

Bin "Yep" Lahab

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Baby
Charter member
300 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 04:49 AM

9. "RE: Levis in DC last night"
In response to Reply # 8

From string I posted earlier:

Off the hook!!!! Just a brief recap for those that were unable to make it. Performance consisted of Jazzy Jeff, Biz Markie, The Roots, N'Dea Davenport, Musiq, Jazzyfattnastees, Yazarah, Jaguar, Brother from DC, Black Thought, Omar, Talib.

I need to find out the name of the person DJ'ing when we first got there before the performance started. I live in DC but had never been to Nation. It was a perfect venue for this type of event. They opened the doors to the stage area. There were 2 huge screens on either side. The VIP room was on the upper level. The disco ball in the middle w/ lights everywhere. They had LEVI hangings and stuff all over. Dude took the stage. My baby and I were like that's Jazzy Jeff dj'ing. He ripped it!!! All the old shit. Biz Markie came out and ripped as well and the acts followed w/ no break; just ran one after the other. It was awesome!!! A music lover's dream. Meanwhile, LEVI representatives passing out all kinds of freebies. Taking free pictures too. Got some cute ones. I cannot say enough good things about this show. The highlights for me were N'Dea and Omar; wished they had let him sing more since he came all that way. Were you there?

"I've been dating since I was 15. I'm exhausted...Where is he?!" (c) Charlotte - "Sex And The City"

nappyhead_earth
Charter member
71 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 05:47 AM

12. "was I there???"
In response to Reply # 9

Nope. I live in Illi, yo. However I am livin' the experience through the various okp's who are gracious enough (and not too hung-over) to post on this magicallydelish site. Glad yall had fun.

peace

"...what else are we living for?
if not to create fiction and rhyme
my purpose is
to make my soul
rhyme
with
my
mind
over matter
minds create matter
minds create fiction as a matter of fact
as if matter is fact
so spirit must be fiction
sc

fatlip
Charter member
1954 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 05:27 AM

10. "kill the soundboy"
In response to Reply # 0

damn that bass was loud. but i don't think it was hub, i think they had the kick all the way up. regardless, i have a cold and that shit shook my nasal cavity to death. i guess it was deliberate (i can't imagine the roots/quest not giving attention to their sound levels), but i saw alot of folks with their fingers in they're ears.

highlights: OMAR!!! wonderful. and dj jazzy jeff.

funniest moments: -when "vinnie nondescript-r&b man" (i can't remember his real name) from dc was doing his jawn, and did the pause-for-four-beats, band come back in on four trick. he was like a hand-me-down james brown....talking to the band like "come on", like he invented that new trick of stopping and coming back.

-kamal and thought on the couch during "just friends"...

who was the third keyboardist (not kamal or james, but dude with abraham-lincoln looking beard)????

oh, and n'dea DID look like diana.....

always glad to see the jazzies get their due.

i think i saw some of ya'll players. i only knew zioness, i'm up here with friends and came out by myself to this show. i met some dude dale, don't know if he posts up here.....

good show...@@@@1/2

BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 12:51 PM

40. "the beard guy..."
In response to Reply # 10

>>>>who was the third keyboardist (not kamal or james, but dude with abraham-lincoln looking beard)????

LOL... that's Omar (not the singer of course) Omar played keys on the okayplayer tour with Kamal, and is the steady keyboardist for Jaguar Wright. Now THAT is a cool - cool cat. O is talented (Jag calls him 'Ooooooh' instead of 'O'... she's a big sister kind-of flirt)

Aight... HOLLA!

B.Kyle!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 05:32 AM

11. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 0

I got to see Laylah Hathaway and Joe Sample this summer at Artscape in B'More free of charge and now this.

I'm fortunate to have experienced both events. The Roots are the ish. Straight up musicians.

Hightlights
The Biz. Even though I see dude all the time you can't help but smile. Dude is a pioneer, part of that golden era that we grew up too.

Omar was the ish. I was definitely feeling that. He switched up the tempo and gave us the mellow joints.

I was impressed by Yahzarah. She has a great range in her vocals. I'm going to cop her joint today.

N'Dea was probably the highlight for me. The Brother Sister joint with the Jazzies was ridiculous. And then she killed Forever. I just burnt that joint on a CD this week. Definitely a treat.

Talib has mad energy and stage presence. With his flow I think it's important to be up close to really hear what he was saying. I was up top and if you weren't already familiar with his material you couldn't really decipher the lyrics. But he gave us the Knowledge of Self and I was pumping my fist so hard I broke my watch. Peace to the sister below me who picked it up and gave it back.

It was cool how the Roots were already playing the Next Movement and Musiq just came out and did his thang. They didn't have to change a thing. And they took it there at the end with the Just Friends joint. Straight to the church, the inspiration hymn before before the sermon. I met Aries in New Orleans. They are the ish. Can't wait to hear them on their own project.

It was a treat to see James Poyser on the keys. The whole night was a treat. Hearing Jazzy Jeff spin, I was upset when he cut Electric Relaxation short though. But he gave us all the classics. And he killed it when he gave us the Nuyorican Soul Joint "I Am the Black Gold of the Sun"

Special shot out to GlowmediaEvents for putting me on the guest list.

And a Big Shot Out to the Roots for just being themselves.

Peace

Nobody can be you but you - Steve Arrington

lagism
Charter member
2145 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 06:36 AM

15. "my journey to see the roots + guests"
In response to Reply # 0

i wrote this review for another website, so i'm just cutting and pasting onto here.

alright here it goes. this is gonna be mad long.
anyway, the roots plus many guests (i'll get to them later) were playing this free concert in dc for levi's engineered jeans which was sponsoring an hiv/aids awareness thing. so, i heard about this through the okayplayer website and one of the guys who works for the website (bkyle) said that if we email our names to him, we'll be on the guestlist and then we're in. anyway, i emailed him and the next day he says that he only got a handful of passes and that he'll be handing them out for free at howard university near the main campus flagpole. so, me and 4 friends take our car down from philly and drive all the way to howard university to get these passes and then go to the concert. dedicated roots fans we are, huh? so, all of us aint too familiar with the dc area, so we got a little lost. anyway, we end up getting to howard university at about 630pm. the dude from okayplayer said to be there at 615pm. so i'm running up the hill to get these passes and i see a swarm of people. probably at least 50 or so people. and i'm like damn. we had to sign this list and then they would call our names out and get tickets. about 5 mins after i get there, the dude ran out of passes. moreover, the thing i was pissed about was that he was giving out these okayplayer postcards which i have like a million of at home. i thought there were gonna give out "real" passes. so, obviously, we're pretty pissed cuz we drive all the way out from philly for nothing. but i suggested we go to the place and shmooze over the people there to let us in. oh, to add insult to injury, when we were walking to the car, these two black chicks passed us in a car and put their heads out the windows and was like: "where all y'all from?" she said it in this all condescending manner like where the eff are y'all white kids doing in this black area. wasnt really a big deal but it was surprising cuz i was already pissed from not getting passes.

so, we drive over to the place and i see a little line forming. by this time its 7 and doors dont open till about 8. so me and one of my friends get outta the car to shmooze over bouncers while my other friends parked the car. so while we're walking to the place, theres these 2 guys asking if we're going to the concert. and i'm like: "yeah, i wanna go but i aint got passes." and the dude is like: "here are some passes. we work for levi's." and i'm freaking out cuz the dude from okayplayer (bkyle) made it seem that this concert was on some exclusive shit and these mofo's were handing passes out right in front of the place. so we snatched up passes for my friends and i and we stood in line and we got in shortly thereafter.

so, we get in and there's a dj playing some shit (krs, gang starr, etc.) it was cool. at about 9 something, they let us in and me and my friends got front row.

dj jazzy jeff was spinning and he had mad crates of shit up on stage. as we came in, he was playing this fast mix of 'slowly, surely' by jill scott and i found that pretty funny considering that he had a huge hand with jill's success, so he was like promoting it when people were getting into the main room. jazzy jeff was basically playing a lot of hip hop from 89-95. black sheep, souls of mischief, pete and cl, etc. it was cool. while he was spinning, i see biz markie coming over to give him some daps. he was wearing this security shirt and i was crapping my pants. so at about a little after 10, the legendary roots crew comes out. they had the whole band there (minus rahzel and malik b) and they had this guitarist too. anyway, the roots kicked into the hip hop 101 shit. just amazing. if u've seen it, u know what i mean. if u havent seen it, shame on u. then they went into "next movement". it was hype as eff and the whole crowd was going bananas. then at the end of the song, musiq soulchild came out and sang his song which samples the next movement. what surprised me is that ?uestlove dont like musiq and musiq apparently never cleared the sample for the next movement with the roots and here he was sharing the same stage. he was aight, i'm not a fan of his and this kinda of lost the energy of the night.

alright everything after this is a blur concerning the order of things because diff people were coming up doing a song or 2 then somebody else would come on and son on. so i'm just gonna go artist by artist now.

roots: ended up doing next movement, water, lesson part 3, proceed, silent treatment, you got me (w/ the reggae and rock thing), what you want and dynamite. the roots are amazing. simply amazing. there seemed to be a lot of good feeling up on stage cuz ?uest was laughing a lot and acting like a real professional as he would instruct hub and kamal when playing. thought is the man. he was drinkin all night and i bet he was feeling good and scratch was doing his normal routine with 'the show' and 'paul revere'. and the roots were mad awesome and they backed up the other artists with their music. just amazing.

talib kweli: i didnt really know he was gonna be there because it didnt say that on the flyer. he came out towards the middle of the show and other points of the show. he did move somethin, his verse from definition, k.o.s (determination), the blast, and down for the count. he had on these mad nice sneakers. they were snakeskin adidas sneakers. where the eff u get those cuz i wasnt a pair. i also saw kweli in the crowd after the show (he was taking out trash with some other dude, or at least it looked like trash) and my friend saw him at mcdonalds after the show. he was mad live.

n'dea davenport: i'm not too familar with her except that i know she was part of the brand new heavies and released a nice solo album. i didnt know any of her 3 songs but they were nice. she looked exactly like diana ross but smaller.

yahzarah: sang one song which i didnt know of because i've been searching like crazy for the album but cant find it. guess i'll have to order it online. at the end of her song, she did a nice jazz scat thing. very nice.

dice raw: no offense, dice, but you seem misplaced there. i've seen him 3 times and the first time i saw him, he was mad hype but at this show (and the okayplayer tour 2 summers ago), he was bland. he showed up wearing this phillies jacket and he did his verse on lesson part 3 when the roots were doing it. he messed up his beginning lines cuz it starts off going: "dice's flow/hit idiots like crossbows" and i know he didnt say that cuz he was mumbling some incoherent shit. he said his verse than got off the stage.

jazzyfatnastees: i like them a lot. a lot of people werent feeling them there cuz the jazzy's would come on after some mad hype song by the roots or kweli. i didnt recognize either of the 2 songs even though i have the album. however, the second song they did was mad nice. had this rock feel and then this nice rocking part. they also sang backup for kweli when he did k.o.s.

omar: this cat gets a lot of respect but i have never heard any of his ish. he did 2 slow songs which in my opinion brought the energy level down because it came after some hype songs. these 2 chicks next to me were going crazy. but omar seemed cool.

vinnie bernard: local cat from dc. no offense, he looked like a crack addict and he looked very unnatural and awkward. did one song which was not good. this was during the midst of the night when it was like the jnf's, yahzarah, and him and i thought the crowd was getting bored because the roots had done like 3 songs which got people all energized.

biz markie: started off the show with the roots and he did 'just a friend' and everybody and their dog knows this song. great way to start off the night. thats all he did

mad skillz: spit a verse on the lesson part 3. he had this great line where he's got girl's mouths AND legs open. i wish i could remember it cuz it was mad tight. i didnt know he was down with the roots cuz he was laughing it up with black thought and talib kweli backstage.

divine: spit a verse of lesson part 3 also and was doing some nice dances with scratch at the end of the show.

musiq: came out again after his beginning performance. he did just friends to close out the show and it had this churchy/gospel feel to it at the end. highlight for me was seeing kamal and black thought sitting on the couch onstage and singing the chorus when musiq was performing.

jaguar: great stage performance but she needs to come up with some new "ad libs" when she's doing her shit in between songs and verses. she says the same damn shit and stands the same way. i saw her with bilal and she did the exact same shit there. what was funny was after she did her first song, they were gonna go into some song but jaguar was begging ?uestlove, hub, and james poyser to do what she wanted. they kicked into 'aint nobody playin' (minus black thought's verse). it was nice. she also sand the hook for lesson part 3 and what you want. also, did her leaving on a jet plane thing with the 2 lady background singers for musiq. it wasnt jaguar's regular background singers so they kinda messed up on it, but it was good.

james poyser: didnt sing, but did play keyboards for everybody except the roots. i saw him staring at ?uest's drumming a lot and i could imagine the connection going on there when playing together.

there was also a guitar player for vinnie bernard and another guitar player who played on everybody's shit except the roots. both were nice. also, there was a keyboard player who i saw play with jaguar before. he was on some songs. nice playing.

so it was a tight show and was free. cant beat that. my ears are still ringing and i mean that seriously. i woke up this morning unable to hear anything outta my left ear. its aight though.

by the way, steve, was that u wearing the dilated people hoodie in the front row? if so, that was me standing next to you on you're right. just in case you cared. lol.
--------------------------------------------------------
peace.lagism.OUT

"I may have my faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." -Jimmy Hoffa

"Be not too hasty to trust, or to admire, the teachers of morality: they discourse like angels, but they live like men." -Samuel Johnson

emeyesi
Charter member
10914 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 07:41 PM

29. "RE: my journey to see the roots + guests"
In response to Reply # 15

Gawd damn...you get the the official "New England Okayplayer" award for trekking out to shows!!! I thought about going...then changed my mind, I need to find someone to drive my ass around!!

Funniest quotes of 2001:

"Hip Hop is a Black American/Latino thing, and if you can't blaze in the states with the origonators of the culture, those who know the culture best, those to whom it's not an import or "exotic", then you can get a dick." -QtheBuggid1

"America is hip hop, bottom line. This is where it started, and this is where it stay...but as a whole, the american hip hop audience is much more knowledgeable than the audience in germany, france, or any other country. Thats just the way it is."
- 3XKrazy

NEW ENGLAND PLAYERS UNITE!!!

EMAIL ME at emeyesi@aol.com TO GET ON THE MAILING LIST.

.imageyenation.dot.com.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 06:45 AM

16. "No Res?"
In response to Reply # 0

that's a shame.

but the real question is, did ?uest make the mistake of the OKP tour twice and not tape the show?

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

Naiea
Charter member
429 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 07:21 AM

18. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 0

Levi's Show was beautiful...yo, I couldn't believe The ROots put it down like that. This has to be like my 4th time seeing them since the summer alone and each time I always get something new. I must admit, I was taken aback at the selection. The diverse pool of talent and the way they all meshed together. It was a beautiful blend. Much love to Levi's and the FADER (yay!, FADER)..lol
Anyways...yeah...

Omar completely shut it down and it was crazy how he was just walking around in the audience before the show...I saw Kamal walk right through a crowd of heads and no one said anything..I was like wha...but ehhh, yeah, Omar was bananas...

Yaharzah blazed....I've acknowledged her skills for a while now since Mama's Gun tour, but now it is off-i-cial..lol
That was hot...

N'dea Davenport...I was hoping she'd do the Primo/N'dea Classic "Bring it on remix"...But ehhh, I was still feeling Brother Sister...all those years of listening to BNH and I never saw them live but I feel blessed to have seen N'dea twice in a lifetime as I move on to my favorite of the night...

Talib...damn, T to the A.L.I.B the deep rooter...much love to Kweli for basically shutting me down last night. Yo, I had to come in late to work on the basis of being work the hell out.
Yo, Kweli killed Too Late...and during Move Something, I think I sprained a toe. Down for the Count just took me there and KOS brought me back home again...Yo, I'm still elated, I'll be tuning back in once again tomorrow at HU Homecoming 2001...get ready everyone

Musiq...I wasn't really feeling the justice on the usage of Next Movement for the L is gone joint on the lp...but I was feeling the vibe created last night...I agree with the reverb issue...it was a little bass heavy when he sang and it kinda drowned out Love, but overall the mood was lovely...it kinda slowed stuff up a minute with Love...I liked that

Jaguar...the illest...yo, what can you say about Jag, but damn...sis tears it up every time and I'll be tuning in again on the 15th as I do everytime she blesses DC with her magnetic presence...I love Jag's stage presence..its explosive

Jazzies were live...I love the renovated routine..its cute...dressed lovely, and harmonies were luscious....definitely on point throughout the show...

Fong Sai and Skillz really blazed something with the area handprint on it...and Vinny Bernard did his thing...representing the area as well...

"In art good intentions are not of the smallest value. All bad art is the result of good intentions."
http://naiea.omegatropolis.net

Soular Plexus Grassroots Foundation, PRESENTS: Freedom Fighters Benefit Festival...featuring artists from across the map united in a cause to keep the flame of freedom burning strong in the dreams and hopes of tomorrow's society

www.geocities.com/hijodelsol7
www.omegatropolis.net

Think about it!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 07:25 AM

19. "and by the way"
In response to Reply # 0

jazzy jeff was rocking the pioneer cd for at least 40% of that set. cutting and scratching. i know most slum/jay dee/pete rock stuff was on disc.

wished he woulda highlighted it more.

ill shit quotes said to questlove.

"of course that motherfucker ain't going to war.....he can't fit the fucking helmet over his head"
-mos def on why i told ed gordon why i won't fight for my country.

Q: you two ever say more than hi?
T: oh, i asked him what time he needed the band back & I also asked him if we were going to dinner with the band after the wasted 9 hour rehearsal day
Q: those 3 questions? damn...d must be the consumate artist than. at least he socializes with us small folk.
T: he's a separatist. NO ONE likes him
T: it's crazy
Q: so when he walks into the room does it get silenced?
T: yup
T: think Chris Rock Bigger & Blacker. This is what happens on the radio when he comes in
T: ""He's 10 min away..
he's at the traffic light
hes backing in.....
make sure (cenosred) isn't in the walk way....
He's in the drive way
T: "He's coming thru....
I got shot by an officer ..
I'm hopping in...
I'm here...
I love uuuuuuuuu
Q: for real?
Q: make sure he dosn't see (censored)?
T: for real
T: oh yeah..."because he'd be hot" He didn't even speak. he has no meet & greets
Q: oh lawd...i heard he made (censored and censored)do the same shit....funny when y'all go to richmond make sure you know who is watchng him
Q: hahahahahahahahahahahahahah
T: he may cry
Q: lol!!!!!!!!! i got a new sig....
T: no (censored and censored) stood on the side of the stage intimidating him...he's precious you know
Q: hey....you heard denzel
Q: a wolf or a sheep?
T: oh, please sheep

my convo with T about life on the road with the big M.

MORE TO COME!

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

fatlip
Charter member
1954 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 08:26 AM

34. "THAT"
In response to Reply # 19

.....is ridiculous.

Naiea
Charter member
429 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 07:27 AM

20. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 0

Biz Markie set it off though...that was ill...lol

What happened to Amel...man...that was going to be the highlight of my night....(sniff sniff)...
And Me'shell N'degocello....that would've just elevated the show 5 billion decibels...

"In art good intentions are not of the smallest value. All bad art is the result of good intentions."
http://naiea.omegatropolis.net

Soular Plexus Grassroots Foundation, PRESENTS: Freedom Fighters Benefit Festival...featuring artists from across the map united in a cause to keep the flame of freedom burning strong in the dreams and hopes of tomorrow's society

www.geocities.com/hijodelsol7
www.omegatropolis.net

Think about it!

ckirk

Fri Oct-12-01 08:51 AM

21. "RE: Levi's in DC"
In response to Reply # 20

Somebody turn the mikes up! I couldn't hear a damn thing. I was so glad that I knew the lyrics to most of the songs, otherwise, I wouldn't have enjoyed the show. It was a great show with a lot's of energy.

Peace

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 09:14 AM

22. "THANKS B KYLE!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i wish djteddycocoa coulda been there.

that show was hot-ta!

and free too!

spirit made me have a good time yo. dude was giving me all the info on shit, and he jumped! i loved the jumping. but when them 5 drunk dudes bumrushed the front for the sake of kweli's performance, i was grateful. just because then i could actually get hype like i wanted too. i seen some angry faces up front though.

oh, the flag pole was packed!
locks to fade ratio was about 1:3, so it was pretty eclectic,
but the dusty tims to birkenstock ratio was about 1:4.

and grav, you would be the one to begin the list. it was a good idea i must admit, but i wanted some good ole black folk unorganization up there.

twisty good seeing you in that tight ass jacket, joe...white boy from wake currently at american, holla at me, grav...good job keeping the crowd in check with the list, honeybun...good seeing you again and i felt your pain when i seen them heels, jose...i ain't no you was feeling that song so much...i apologize for interrupting your moment.

and that dude steve who held the held the list at the flag pole, was tripping me out, corny at times, funny at others, he was hit or miss in the performance category. more positive cause he kept the crowd laughing.
-jazzy's, jaguar, aries-musiq's background singers, all we needed was claudette from city high and i'd have been in phatty heaven
-thought was a good host and background for kweli, and water is some hot shit yo. i was definitely feeling that shit. i wish ya'll could have done pussy galore though.
-n'dea's second song was on point.
-omar's second song was on point
-damn i just want to see kweli in concert for like 30 minutes by himself. then mos at the same venue(only cause i ain't never seen him) then both of em together.
-musiq, it wasn't your crowd yo, niggas be hating just cause they thought you were a d'angelo clone, but i love the album(bootleg) and i couldn't unnastand shit you was saying, i just have heard "mary" so much that i knew what you was talking about

and my ears are still ringing

holla

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

PlucK
Charter member
488 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 11:19 AM

23. "Iss offishallll!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I' M A H A T E R!

Ya'll suck!

You should be ashamed a yurselves....Gettin in for free. Hmmm!

I think Mary just poured some Hateration on meeeeeee!)

PlucK.

"They shot Cornbread!!! They shot Cornbread!!! 'N he ain't do nhuuuuuthin!!! They shot Cornbread!!!"-Cornbread Earl & Me

"You don't wanna hear the truth. So Imma lie to yuh. Make it sound fly to yuh."-Goodie at its Best

"Mid-terms is a mugh.phuckah."

PlucK
Charter member
488 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 11:22 AM

24. "'N I like iiit } N/M"
In response to Reply # 23

"They shot Cornbread!!! They shot Cornbread!!! 'N he ain't do nhuuuuuthin!!! They shot Cornbread!!!"-Cornbread Earl & Me

"You don't wanna hear the truth. So Imma lie to yuh. Make it sound fly to yuh."-Goodie at its Best

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 11:38 AM

25. "GOOD N/M"
In response to Reply # 0

SheRise
AIM carmel3494 say your okp

DJTB YOMM

lucifer
Charter member
633 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:22 PM

27. "It was a good night!"
In response to Reply # 0

I was on chill mode. Came straight from work, arrived just before show started. I expected the place to be packed but I'm not complaining (had elbow room for a change). Good show even though vocals weren't clear sometimes. The downer: Whoever that big drunk mofo was that came and stood practically inches away from in front of me. F#*! You, I asked you to give me some room because I don't ride guys asses. I wish I had a lighter!

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ....Unknown

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail...

Get the fortune, forget the fame.

okayplayer formerly known as: wiz}>

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ...Unknown

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:26 PM

28. "let me guess"
In response to Reply # 27

did you tell him to go to hell?

gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 09:14 PM

30. "hey yall"
In response to Reply # 0

yo...i had fun(period)

the flag pole ish was fun...it was like a regular ol sit-in
kendra, donna, twisty, binlahab, miss bun, mr. sexy, joe(law student),
cute white dude with locs...haha, and errybody else, it was fun..
(aren't cha glad we started a list)

the show was hot!!!!!!!!! one of the best free shows man..
N'dea, N'dea..Hot damn, Miss Davenport!!!!!! she sang "Forever"
Donna and I looked like 2 old heads for real!!!!!!

What the fuck the Roots Took over, Musiq was cool. some of the sound was wack for some of the show. ill be back with more
cause im a day late and im going out..peace

"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience"-Maxwell

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

Sha
Member since Mar 25th 2004
68452 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 05:01 AM

32. "Applause"
In response to Reply # 30

I know I'm bout as late as a College Refund Check but I had a ball.

Jazzy Jeff was cool. I enjoyed the music. But for some reason I couldn't look at him because all I saw, was when he was getting tossed out the house by Uncle Phil.

Anyhoo......

Before the show...I came to DC, natty said she would try and get me a pass. So were in DC driving around when Natty calls Bin and says look if you don't get here by 8 Sha and D are short. I was like damn " No Love." Mind you me and D were playing walking advertisement/models for the evening. One of our friends made the clothing we were "a rocking."

Upon coming up the venue we walk to the front of the line... and squeeze in...heheheh I thought I was gonna get beat the hell up.

Well we stand in line till about 830. We get in and it's another line to get in the venue. But between waiting for the show to start, I hit the dance floor. Was it me or was the camera men being a bit intrusive...."Damn it my skirt is not Levi's Engineered Denim."

The velvet rope is lifted and we rush the front...True OKP style. Shoutouts to the front line crew...Natty, Grav, Del, Donna...Twisty was there but he was removed a row. Bin was trying to get it crunk as usually but he's section was wack.

In all everyone did well but that Vinnie Bernard looked so uncomfortable. He had no rhythm. And was trying to give brother ?uest directions. I think I was the only who caught this but ?uest gave him the,"Nigga please..do you damn song look."

Ndea'- I love her. I felt old as hell singing "Stand Up" & "Forever" But my front ladies made Ndea feel good cause I think we were the only ones singing.

Omar-I was amazed that this brother has been around for a minute. and his dreads are the same length and symetry from his 93 cd. heheheheheh Big D was feeling it.

Jag- No words..The white guys beside me look confused.

Nazrah(sp)?- Tittie filet...I think I was Bin drooling a minute. Bomb song but by then my ears were gone. I had my fingers stuck in them so I can here the lyrics...

WAS I THE ONLY ONE WHO FELT THE BASS IN THEIR THROAT AND CHEST...DDDDAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNNN.

Kweli- Live Live Live...Some chick behind me was like damn look at his dick print. DAMN CAN THAT MAN LIVE. But Del was looking like she had enough with the instant crowd that appeared. Damn it if they didnt disappear when Kweli left.

Musiq-He lost weight and cut his hair. He looked great. Songs was live. Back up was live...damn leg warmers.

AJ-with his cornlocks smoking a blunt on stage. WTF(you're still not credible.)

"People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves (c) Oscar Wilde "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

"fuck em."
judging in silence. assholes. inbox allstars and shit. "~bfnh

1/2 of the C& P Demons Inc.

"Just another wasted one, like a falling star in Babylon." (c) Res

"No notice, no letter, you just packed your shit, and left." (c) Bilal

http://members.blackplanet.com/Blaqqice
Check me out & sign a sister guestbook

You want it one way, when it's the other (c) Marlo Stansfield

gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 06:50 AM

33. "preditor"
In response to Reply # 32

aka, locrows oops i mean A.J. of the coonery channel..was being "down".

"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience"-Maxwell

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

Sha
Member since Mar 25th 2004
68452 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 01:17 PM

35. "right"
In response to Reply # 33

"People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves (c) Oscar Wilde "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

"fuck em."
judging in silence. assholes. inbox allstars and shit. "~bfnh

1/2 of the C& P Demons Inc.

"Just another wasted one, like a falling star in Babylon." (c) Res

"No notice, no letter, you just packed your shit, and left." (c) Bilal

http://members.blackplanet.com/Blaqqice
Check me out & sign a sister guestbook

You want it one way, when it's the other (c) Marlo Stansfield

BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 01:07 PM

41. "About AJ... !"
In response to Reply # 32

>>>AJ-with his cornlocks smoking a blunt on stage. WTF(you're still not credible.)

I was 4 feet away from him and wanted to clock-the-shit outta him. (Musiq and I exchanged a look and just chuckled to ourselves like, WTF is he doin!??) So AJ would have been peeling himself off the floor, regaining conciousness, I would demand that he tell where FREE is. She keeps playing with me on the 2way, dammit. (Shouts out to Boston!)

(WTF... bradied sides, locked on top..!!!!?!!!! Where's Misha the stylist when ya need her)

B.Kyle

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 01:53 PM

42. "RE: About AJ... !"
In response to Reply # 41

LOL..when I say the corny ass dude I was like waht the fuck is he doing then he goes up to quest while he is drumming and says whatup I could see quest look at kamal and they both laughed. LOL.

Gotta love Free though, repping from Boston..no doubt.

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

Watch my slowly growing webpage - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~slogerfo/

PlucK
Charter member
488 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 04:59 PM

43. "Just let me know 1 thing:"
In response to Reply # 42

Why he let Free clown him on T.V. like...evryday.

PlucK.

ethioqueen2
Charter member
152 posts
Tue Oct-16-01 01:43 PM

44. "RE: About AJ... !"
In response to Reply # 42

thats not cool

d0pEst~Ethi0piAn
"Ethiopians, we run Ust Bitch"

"Dont quote me....ur beneath" -P0rkface

"This coming from mS.....the Ro0ts are going to be pErforming on an icEberg in Antarctica"- mR twiSty

"Hey, we can just read and eat some tofu on my tourbus.

SampolinMoAko
Charter member
5728 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 04:14 PM

36. "(icepack on my nose....)"
In response to Reply # 0

just posted my thoughts on the gd board...if you really wanna see em then go over there...
but to sum it all up...
i love you all! that's really it.

who ate my sig?

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 04:27 PM

37. "what all did jazzy jeff play?"
In response to Reply # 0

tribe?
pete and cl?
any new shit?

i just wanna know what songs made everybody so hype. wish i could've heard it myself!

Backdrop my microphone so i can chop down clones - Evidence

My third eye is like pink eye, seeming contagious - Common Sense

I'll cut your ass in half and leave you with a semicolon - Mr. Man

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 04:38 PM

38. "shit like..."
In response to Reply # 37

Incredible Bongo Band...
and old classics.

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 11:31 AM

39. "mr. bobdobalina."
In response to Reply # 37

boy he put on that old de la and negroes was tripping!

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78627 Previous topic | Next topic