Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78547

Subject: "RES/Fertile Ground @ The Black Cat" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
KD
Charter member
480 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RES/Fertile Ground @ The Black Cat"

Fertile Ground opened up the show...

This was my second time catching them live and they brought the heat once again. The entire band is air tight and the lead vocalist (Navasha) flows other their ryhthms lovely. For those that are hip to their cd "Spirtual War", they kicked the standards:

- "Broken Branches"
- "Misguided Warriors"
- "Yesterday"
- "Let The Wind Blow" and
- "Be Natural"

They also put some new joints to the test that were off the chain! For those who have slept thus far...WAKE UP and catch them when they're in your area!

Due to problems mic problems, Res didn't come on until about an hour later. Her band is also on point and they warmed up to Cameo's "Candy"! Straight FIRE! She started off with this reggae version of "Ice King" and then kicked:

- "Sitting Back"
- "If There Ain't Nothing"
- "How I Do"
- "Tsunami"
- "They Say Vision" and
- "Golden Boys"

Basically almost everything on the disc EXCEPT "700 Mile Situation" which is my shit! That and the mic problems are the only things I can really be salty about. She also kicked the harmonies to "So Fresh, So Clean" and "Flavor In Ya Ear" as fillers. Overall, she brings mad energy to the stage! I told my partner it was wild seeing fellas pump their fists in unity to her sh*t, but that's love. I've always liked her style and "How I Do" is probably some of the freshest material I've heard this year. But it was when I caught her on HBO's "Reverb" that really made me want to check her out live. The crowd energy and atmosphere seems to bring out the best in her voice. It also doesn't hurt that she is a straight DIME!!! Good show though! PEACE!

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
glad u enjoyed
Oct 26th 2001
DAMN!
Oct 26th 2001
      naw
Oct 26th 2001
wait a sec
Oct 26th 2001
RE: DAMN!
Oct 29th 2001
'Scuse my sleepin but
Oct 28th 2001
RE: 'Scuse my sleepin but
Oct 29th 2001
      RE: 'Scuse my sleepin but
Oct 30th 2001

gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "glad u enjoyed"
In response to Reply # 0

Due to the fact that I went to see Maxwell first I missed Fertile Ground, but thats cool..I've seen them numerous of times. Res also opened for Maxwell that night, and the crowd was not into her, just myself and a couple of others. So I know she was amped that the crowd were "her fans". ...more to come ...

"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience"-Maxwell

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

lucifer
Charter member
633 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "DAMN!"
In response to Reply # 1

I wish I had gone, in doing so would have probably lifted my spirits. I guess I have to live with the Res performance opening for Maxwell, and listening to the Fertile Ground cd's.

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ....Unknown

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail...

Get the fortune, forget the fame.

okayplayer formerly known as: wiz}>

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ...Unknown

gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 10:51 AM

3. "naw"
In response to Reply # 2

you'll see em ..soon

"We are all spiritual beings having a human experience"-Maxwell

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 09:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "wait a sec"
In response to Reply # 0

first off, i wasn't gonna go to this show, but i got convinced at the last minute.

if my memory serves, res did a song before the reggae version of "ice king". first thing she did was the jimi hendrix interpolation.

also, she came out during the encore and did the punk rock hidden track from the album, after like 80% of the audience left. Well, the 150 or so people who stuck around got to rock out for that shit. I'm glad my homegirl convinced me to stay...

res really rocked it. what i was most impressed with was how she was able to keep her vocals so flawless while she was jumping around so much. excellent breath control. "white chocolate" on guitar was most definitely keeping it funky and his "Res isn't here yet" comedy routine/singing mic check was hilarious.

she also worked in a run dmc interpretation which was fresh, but i chuckled because the line she covered made no sense in reference to her ("sucka emcees should call me sire"...LOL...Res, I hope they actually call you "madam"...haha).

The Bob Marley call and response was getting people amped, including the use of the refrain from "War".

Basically, she rocked it.

I also liked Fertile Ground this time a LOT more than I did when I saw them the first time. Horn section was killing it and the lead vocalist was going OFF with the jazz runs. Stupendous. The choreogrpahed dance steps with the horn section was a cool addition to the set...made it look livelier.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - home of
Miscellaneous Flux, the only band on
earth I would take a bullet for.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Mon Oct-29-01 11:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: DAMN!"
In response to Reply # 4

>also, she came out during the
>encore and did the punk
>rock hidden track from the
>album, after like 80% of
>the audience left. Well, the
>150 or so people who
>stuck around got to rock
>out for that shit. I'm
>glad my homegirl convinced me
>to stay...
>

i waited at the exit for about 5 minutes because i had a feeling she was gonna do an encore...i must have JUST missed it...damn!

PlucK
Charter member
488 posts
Sun Oct-28-01 09:50 PM

5. "'Scuse my sleepin but"
In response to Reply # 0

does Fertile Grnd have some music out or are they on the Kindred tip(no CD out jus yet but tourin some). I keep on hearin the name but cant attach faces or music to em.

Lemme guess? fertileground.com? Or should I jus ignore my fear of inhalin some anthrax and move my ass to the east c in order to get some guuud soul in.

I know we got a dope music scene here in Shecago. Somewhere. I jus gotta find it first(away from home all the time). Syleena ain't start singin when she met R kelly.

Anyway. this has turnded into a rant about my music deprivation. But any info on Fertile Grnd's music or even where I can get my live music fix satisfied(on wkends inthe Chi) would be greatly muhpreciaited.

PlucK.

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Mon Oct-29-01 11:53 AM

7. "RE: 'Scuse my sleepin but"
In response to Reply # 5

>does Fertile Grnd have some music
>out or are they on
>the Kindred tip(no CD out
>jus yet but tourin some).
>I keep on hearin the
>name but cant attach faces
>or music to em.
>
>Lemme guess? fertileground.com? Or should I
>jus ignore my fear of
> inhalin some anthrax and
>move my ass to the
>east c in order to
>get some guuud soul in.
>
>
>I know we got a dope
>music scene here in Shecago.
>Somewhere. I jus gotta find
>it first(away from home all
>the time). Syleena ain't start
>singin when she met R
>kelly.
>
>Anyway. this has turnded into a
>rant about my music deprivation.
>But any info on Fertile
>Grnd's music or even where
>I can get my live
>music fix satisfied(on wkends inthe
>Chi) would be greatly muhpreciaited.
>
>
>PlucK.

Fertile Ground put out a cd called "Spiritual War" in 2000. It's available on www.cdnow.com

Peace.

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Tue Oct-30-01 07:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: 'Scuse my sleepin but"
In response to Reply # 7

You can also pick up thier first album "Field Songs" and a compilation cd "Perception" on this site

http://www.dustygroove.com/

Touch This
http://members.blackplanet.com/babyfacedbandit

"Infinitely go against the grain...." - Black Thought
"Music is supposed to inspire......" - Lauryn

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78547 Previous topic | Next topic