Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32952

Subject: "what's so great about Hendrix?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
KDfromWestP
Charter member
562 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what's so great about Hendrix?"

Okay, so I'm up here right now watchin this Jimi Hendrix story on Showtime because I heard dude was nice with his. Personally I haven't heard *too* much of his stuff, but I figured he had to be important to music if they're doing a movie on him. Well, this movie isn't impressin me too much. So can some of you musical gurus please enlighten a brutha on why all the hoopla over Jimi.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DAMN!!!!!
Sep 17th 2000
Don't let quest see this
bananaman
Sep 17th 2000
RE: what's so great about Hendrix?
vuduchild
Sep 17th 2000
From what I've heard about the movie...
Sep 17th 2000
is this The Lesson?
Sep 17th 2000
sorry man...
Sep 17th 2000
Its the way you asked the question.
Sep 17th 2000
RE: is this The Lesson?
netbomber
Sep 17th 2000
Sep 17th 2000
Yo KD
Sep 20th 2000
burn151
Oct 05th 2001
the money...
Sep 17th 2000
I'll Answer
Sep 17th 2000
When you uncover the hendrix myth
Sep 17th 2000
Jimi
Sep 17th 2000
"born under a bad sign"
Sep 17th 2000
um....
Sep 17th 2000
if u don't get it
Sep 18th 2000
music
Sep 18th 2000
this sounds like my Radiohead post.
black_engineer
Sep 18th 2000
LEARN IT!!!!!!!!
Sep 18th 2000
I own it...
black_engineer
Sep 18th 2000
      jimi's last interview
Sep 18th 2000
must i hip you to erythang, trash?
Sep 18th 2000
eff everybody else's response...
Sep 18th 2000
He is rock&roll..
DELTA1393
Sep 18th 2000
Jimi-diggin cats
Aaron
Sep 18th 2000
Hendrix is FUNK
Edub32
Sep 18th 2000
That's Going a Bit Far
Ratso
Sep 19th 2000
      RE: That's Going a Bit Far
Edub32
Sep 20th 2000
      Allow me to retort
Ratso
Sep 21st 2000
      RE: That's Going a Bit Far
Sep 20th 2000
           Word
Edub32
Sep 20th 2000
to me
Sep 18th 2000
RE: what's so great about Hendrix?
wabpizhiw
Sep 20th 2000

KDfromWestP
Charter member
562 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "DAMN!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I did a search and nothing came up.

didn't even see that there was another Hendrix post on here.

please reply there...I'll read the responses.

bananaman

Sun Sep-17-00 03:22 PM

2. "Don't let quest see this"
In response to Reply # 0

He'll hunt you down and make your house look like a post office after they fire a disgruntled employee.

Hendrix is the man.
I'll leave it to the more musically inclined to educate you properly on the topic

Coming September 2000, "FRUITY!"- another Bingo Jones production featuring Bananaman, Stevelove, Pimp Daddy Duck Quack, Mr. Simmons on the cut, King Tut on the commentary, Shyne and introducing Vanvader as Barrington Levy

http://www.savehiphop.com - what you didn't know???
http://www.vanvader.com - You have no idea. HE'S COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

vuduchild

Sun Sep-17-00 03:33 PM

3. "RE: what's so great about Hendrix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Woo, KD! You crazy! This is a joke right...? Oh, shit. Your serious. I'm just gonna leave before the fire starts. Don't wanna get caught in the crossfire! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:
------------------------------
"It's deep soul, deep church, spiritual roots and deep jazz... I just go as far as I can inside and I bring it out. The thing the church showed me was conviction. DMX rhymes with conviction. Soul is honesty." Bilal, on his music.

"Bilal WILL be an Okayartist!!" -me

"to aim
is to take oneself too seriously
by focusing without instead of within

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

the right letters are there
it's the wrong composition"
-Saul Williams

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 03:37 PM

4. "From what I've heard about the movie..."
In response to Reply # 0

That movie doesnt do Jimi ANY justice. None of his music is used, so that they could have complete artistic freedom without the Hendrix fam breathing down their necks. Go out and get yourself one of Jimi's albums and you'll understand what the big deal with Jimi was.

I thought you were kidding at first...actually kinda disappointed in ya, Kenny. hehe

R.I.P. Jimi Hendrix (in honor of the 30th Anniversary of his death on 18 September 2000)

AIM name: monkeybars j5 / tiiimmmayyyyy

"TIMMMMMMMAAYYYYYY!!!" -Timmy

"Piranhas are a tricky species" -Max Fischer

"okay, pussycat" -my brother (age: 5)

http://www.realized.net/Essay.html -- http://www.7moonz.com

KDfromWestP
Charter member
562 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 03:56 PM

5. "is this The Lesson?"
In response to Reply # 0

I asked for someone to enlighten me.

I don't have anything against Jimi, just wasn't raised on him like I was the Motown cats and Parliament.

I would *LOVE* to go out and get his music but where do I start?

Yes, I'm dead serious and I would like to be taught here....that's what this board is about right?

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 04:06 PM

6. "sorry man..."
In response to Reply # 5

Didnt mean to make you mad. Personally, I dont own any studio recordings of Jimi's. I've heard a few songs, and the only Jimi album I have is the BBC Sessions (found it in NYC for a good price...didnt get Portishead that day cuz of it...damnit), but from what I hear, Jimi is one that should be started from his first album (Are You Experienced) and go chronologically. Live recordings give you a chance to see Jimi play a little looser, especially the later recordings (Woodstock, Band of Gypsys, etc)

btw, I respect you for posing this question, despite the fact that you probably knew that exactly what DID happen would happen to you

R.I.P. Jimi Hendrix (In honor of the 30th Anniversary of his death on 18 September 2000)

AIM name: monkeybars j5 / tiiimmmayyyyy

"TIMMMMMMMAAYYYYYY!!!" -Timmy

"Piranhas are a tricky species" -Max Fischer

"okay, pussycat" -my brother (age: 5)

http://www.realized.net/Essay.html -- http://www.7moonz.com

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 04:30 PM

8. "Its the way you asked the question."
In response to Reply # 5

Voodoo Child is a track that sticks out in my mind. And another one with the title Mermaid in it. I'm not great listener of Hendrix myself. There's a box set that was recently released that's around 80 bucks that I know of.

"So down with myself, bitch I can chill as a bum, ho hum" - Slim Kid Tre/On The D.L.

Track of the moment - '94 via Satelite

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

netbomber

Sun Sep-17-00 05:27 PM

11. "RE: is this The Lesson?"
In response to Reply # 5

The main reason why Jimmy is so important is because he performed songs with the electric guitar that no body else thought would be possible. He created the sound that you here everyday from new rock groups and plenty of old groups as well. He did everything from playing the guitar with his teeth to performing the "Star Spangled Banner" on his guitar at Woodstock.

KD:
You should definitly pick up a Hendrix album and start out with his greatest hits album or or his 1st.

pz,
netbomber

"I battle all/Like I don't have it all"-Del

AIM-DJjUsT2000

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: is this The Lesson?"
In response to Reply # 5

You were raised on Motown, you say?

well, if that's the case, I recommend you start with Band of Gypsies, a group Jimi started near the end of his life. I had the album, but someone stole it from me, so I can't remember the title (I think it was self-titled "band of Gypsies" actually). the songs on the album I had included "Machine gun" (with jimi presenting a strong anti-war/anti-gun stance and the stacatto drums sounding just like gunshots, a classic!) and "them Changes". The album is sort of an early funk/rock fusion and I think it's a great introduction point to Jimi's work. After that, go cop "Electric Ladyland" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

http://www.experiencehendrix.com has some real audio files of unreleased Jimi material you can listen to.

Jimi's contribution to music is his maestro-level mastery of the electric guitar. He could make that guitar sing...literally...his deconstruction of the National Anthem during a guitar solo was one of the highlights of Woodstock.

Please post back when you've had some time to listen to the records I recommended above.

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com
Site re-design and brand new audio added as of 9/16/2000

"When I'm not recording tracks for Lil Zane and C-Murder to lip sync to, I'm at http://www.theamphibians.com" - Tupac Shakur, in hiding in Cuba

Nine out of 10 dentists, and Lil Wayne, recommend http://www.theamphibians.com after flossing.

blackplanet name: alanpage
AIM: alanpage7
e-mail: alanpage@blackplanet.com

Ogami Itto's Prescribed Methods for ending Racism in Law Enforcement

1. Assemble all officers in squad room, fully uniformed, weapons ready.

2. Instruct each officer to present arms.

3. Chamber one round.

4. Safety off.

5. Place barrel in mouth, aim for brain.

6. Fire

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Wed Sep-20-00 08:22 AM

31. "Yo KD"
In response to Reply # 5

Buy Jimi Hendrix-"The Ultimate Experience", 1 cd with all the best stuff, you can't go wrong with that. trust me, you'll be feelin it.

res->one

LPP for life (light pockets posse)
on some ol' broke shit.

peace, okayplayers...
----------------------------------------
"Look into my eyes, tell me what you see, can you feel my pain, am I your enemy?"- Bounty Killa

Want to make money? http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/neilmaclean
Want to buy records?
http://www.recordkingdom.com

-----------------------

burn151

Fri Oct-05-01 06:34 AM

35. "RE: is this The Lesson?"
In response to Reply # 5

>I would *LOVE* to go out
>and get his music but
>where do I start?

If you want to get hooked... get AXIS: Bold as Love, and lay back and learn.

````````````````````
AIM - burn151
Yahoo - burn151
seandburke@hotmail.com

"Hip-hop's my life, no time for socializin', I'm out here tryin ta keep the culture risin'..." -encore

Carmia
Charter member
10088 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 04:09 PM

7. "the money..."
In response to Reply # 0

from the candy those kids were selling was going directly towards the "Buy Kenny a Hendrix album" fund. Now you'll never get it. I'll play you some Hendrix on the guitar one day, not with my teeth though. only he can do it like that...

~Mia:)
(The Once And Future Queen)
or according to my dear friend Illmeta...
iLLmeTA: *all hail the ONce and future PIMP*

Sergeant At Arms: Manwhore Society
Specializing in Backhanding Bitches Since 8-24-00

What are we celebrating in September???

(((If for some odd reason you'd like to talk to me further...IM me:BabyMia419)))

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 04:48 PM

9. "I'll Answer"
In response to Reply # 0

Jimi Hendrix was a guitar genius.

Aside from that, his music was pretty legendary, he came at the time when rock and R&B was split up, and basically fused the two back together.

It's hard to understand all he did know since practically every rock act stand on the ground he made.

He put the soul back in Rock and Roll.

1Love,
BigPerm
In the Deck:

Everything by Terence Trent D'arby

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 05:19 PM

10. "When you uncover the hendrix myth"
In response to Reply # 9

Which he was god and all that bs he was a brilliant lyricist and amazing guitarist. Amazing arranger as well. But Jimi didnt want you to keep saying that about him. Shit He wanted people to know the guitarists that influenced him And if you look at guitar giants Jimi Mentioned albert king and Wes montgomery and Buddy Guy alot with Albert Collins. So im not gonna say he is the greatest guitarist ever because honestly there cant BE the greatest guitarist. There just isnt way too many innovative minds on the guitar who arent listened to and appreciated the magnitude Jimi was/is. I am gonna say he innovated the way we think about guitar and the sounds that can come out of it. If you listen you will hear those influences intertwined in that guitar. I think whats important to realize about Hendrix is he blasted thru like a cyclone and left his mark fast and furious. Still the ghost lingers on after 30 years in the music.

Au80: the Gold Standard in Hip Hop and R&B.
10-12 PM CST

http://kanm.tamu.edu

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it dro

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 05:39 PM

12. "Jimi"
In response to Reply # 0

He was much better than he gave himself credit for, but people have a habit of overrating musicians into ghostlike myths.

It's a damn shame that he couldn't control himself outside of his art. And it's also a damn shame that people deserted him when he was alive and praised him when he died...gotta love disloyal fans

He's the Miles Davis of Rock. He can play anything, write anything, and make it sound cool in his own ecletic style. The national anthem that he played proves that somewhat.

I know that's kind of vague, but that's the best I can explain it to him. I'm not much of a rock fan, but I know a decent amount about music and instruments. Don't trust the movie, there's a better documentary on him on the History channel that will sum up his life better.

Peace
Rex

Abdul Jabbar, Muggsy Malone you
I don't know what that means but you know what I meant when I told you (c) Sean Price

j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 07:19 PM

14. ""born under a bad sign""
In response to Reply # 0

that's what...

http://sonofbyford.com

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Sun Sep-17-00 07:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "um...."
In response to Reply # 0

His first album (Are You Experienced? in 1967) was recorded on a four track and mixed down on a four track. Essentially this LP was recorded on 6 tracks with the remaining two used solely for stereo mixing. It is sonically comparable to most 48 track produced records out today. At the time it was considered the standard to be met for all future stereo recordings. He was a dynamic producer/arranger in his wide use of all types of instrumentation, 3 dimensional stereo sound, and composition. He was a phenomenal player, in terms of creativity, skill, technical prowess, and the ability to convey raw emotion. His innovations with the electric guitar are amazing. He built on the stylings of blues guitarists and also added a variety of unheard (and unused) effects, such as a fuzz box, heavy distortion and a wah-wah, to generate his famous signature guitar sound. Modern guitar began with Hendrix. Almost every guitar player alive (with any knowledge of their instrument) will tell you this. His music covered themes ranging from emoting the blues of the people (I Don't Live Today) to numerology (If 6 Was 9) to fantasy and magick (Voodoo Child- slight return) to protest (Machine Gun). He could float from soul to rock to blues to experimental/avant garde. I hope this helps. Sorry so long winded.

Thanks for reading. I love you.

In Rotation:
Miles Davis - Dark Magus
Q Tip - Amplified
Radiohead - The Bends
Sade - Stronger Than Pride
EPMD - Business As Usual
Led Zeppelin - III

don't be fkn evil.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 03:30 AM

16. "if u don't get it"
In response to Reply # 0

i can't give it to you.

timmy x 10

Here's the fire take a chew-stevie wonder

LOVE 40!
For a lingustic ballistic lobotomyMind-fuckin you, a psycho-sodomy
of the medula oblongataAccept your mind down your spine and out your behind
Fuck you
somebody let me hold a #2 pencil cuz dey testin!-andre benjamin
STANKONIA'S COMING!!!!!!!! :o:o
blackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblack!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 03:30 AM

17. "music"
In response to Reply # 0

wouldn't be the same w/o him

yes, i'll go that far...

any known guitarist from his time to this, has been influenced by his playing...EVERY guitarist...regardless of hearing him or not (thats saying something) is under his influence in 1 way or the next...its already understood that he is the greatest guitarist of all time...technical speaking, he's brilliant...fret work is flawless...his creativity incredible...etc etc, i could go on and on....

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

black_engineer

Mon Sep-18-00 03:54 AM

18. "this sounds like my Radiohead post."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't get the Hendrix thing either. He's cool, but......Guess they didn't play enough Hendrix on Power 99 (or Q102, remember when it was a hip-hop station!) when I was growing up.

Ahh, whatever.

Then again, I never get the Bob Marley craze either so what do I know?

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

Is a nigga your complexion, or is it all in your mind? (C) Common

I hate being cheap, but I hate being broke more. - Fire

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 03:57 AM

19. "LEARN IT!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

first of all YOU CAN'T compare radiohead to jimi (god of guitar), you can't. second, jimi is the absolutely dopest motherfucking rock star ever! his talent was effortless & god given. get yo ass up and go get some jimi.

while you're at the recka stow, please for the love of god, pick up some marley.

you're missing the good shit. fuck the radio!

Here's the fire take a chew-stevie wonder

LOVE 40!
For a lingustic ballistic lobotomyMind-fuckin you, a psycho-sodomy
of the medula oblongataAccept your mind down your spine and out your behind
Fuck you
somebody let me hold a #2 pencil cuz dey testin!-andre benjamin
STANKONIA'S COMING!!!!!!!! :o:o
blackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblack!

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

black_engineer

Mon Sep-18-00 04:03 AM

20. "I own it..."
In response to Reply # 19

I have 3 marley CD's (I won ithem in a contest, but it don't matter how I got it!) I have a hendrix joint...

Marley...I really don't care for reggae and they didn't change my mind.

Hendrix...he's cool, but all the hype? Whatever...

And Radiohead...all I was sayin is that he was askin for trouble by askin that question....
Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

Is a nigga your complexion, or is it all in your mind? (C) Common

I hate being cheap, but I hate being broke more. - Fire

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 05:58 AM

21. "jimi's last interview"
In response to Reply # 20

is in the latest edition of MOJO magazine. the piece is by the guy who originally suggested to him to burn his guitar at the monterey pop festival. he also says that off the record, jimi said he wanted to leave his then manager mike jeffrey and go back to chas chandler, but jeffrey somehow 'lost' jimis new contract with chandler. It then says that jeffrey apparently got jimi kidnapped and then rescued him, the coincidence of which jimi didn't see, and then nothing changed. He says this in one quote:

DO YOU FEEL THE JIMI HENDRIX OF THE 60S WAS JUST A FIGMENT OF YOUR PUBLICITY MACHINE AS KING GUITAR?
JH: (laughs) Hell no, I was just playing louder than anyone else, thats all. They say those kind of things about all kinds of people. King Guitar? Thats a bit heavy. They just let me do what I Wanted to do. Cometimes someone like you would make a suggestion like 'burn your guitar', and I would say 'you really think I should?' and you say 'yeah, it would be cool'. So I work up enough anger and do it and smash the burning thing. I dug wearing all those strange clothes. It was fun. Now I don't see many other people doing it so it makes me feel dumb and holds me back from musical experiment. I believe everyone should have a 'destruction room' where they can work out their anger-my room was the stage. What I am writing now is what I feel, and I keep it naked on stage because if uyou keep flipping about and flashing around on stage then people wind up just listening with their eyes and forget about their ears. But I am still enjoying myself. I hat to be put in a corner as a songwriter, or a guitarist or some such thing. Maybe I'll become a tap dancer. I just like to be around.

This must be a dilemma that a lot of artists go through, I think. ie prince, sly, etc

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 06:13 AM

22. "must i hip you to erythang, trash?"
In response to Reply # 18

God -
Please help Your servant, Trashman, understand the genius of the following, as soon as possible:

Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley

Lord, this brother is in desperate need of relaxtion and spiritual nourishment and has been missing on this his whole life. thank You in advance, and pity the children...

in all sincere-ness...get up on these brothers...seriously...to me, their talent & legacy is further proof of the existance of God...and I aint playing...if you and me ever meet, I'm making you listen to Marleys' Greatest Hits and I defy you to not be moved....

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

bfnh
Charter member
35708 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 06:22 AM

23. "eff everybody else's response..."
In response to Reply # 0

dude, you just gotta listen, and if it don't hit you, then it don't but me...

i'll go with voodoo child, all along the watchtower, foxy lady, purple haze...i mean, the man was great, and don't even mention his playing of the national anthem.

it's also perfect music to have spinnin' as you work, or as you play video games.

historically, i don't know much, but i've always seen him as breaking ground and just plaing being better than alotta other cats...plus, he's got the martyr factor.

}--suck or swallow?--{
playlist - is there a heaven 4 a gangsta/ beautiful people/ rush over/ personal jesus/ cakes
}--h8r dot com slash ade (soon)--{

--
http://at.yamomzcrib.com </3 http://yourmomisclubbin.com </3 http://hoesinthesameclothes.tumblr.com

DELTA1393

Mon Sep-18-00 08:35 AM

24. "He is rock&roll.."
In response to Reply # 0

According to many artists, music historians, and critics alike, Jimi Hendrix began the modern rock revolution. He introduced us to the electric guitar. Hendrix is more than a rock star..he was able to combine several difference genres of music (blues, folk, rock&roll) into a style all his own.

He was influenced by Muddy Waters and played with Lil' Richard. Prince and Andy Summers are influenced by him. Bob Dylan and Sly herald him to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest musicians, not just guitarists, of all time.

Alot of people don't care for his techniques because of the distortion..this is what makes his music so epic. In most of the biographies I've seen, the focus was more on his drug and alcohol problem than his genius. Was his chemical dependencey and different than Keith Richards'?

Don't base your opinion on him from these so-called biographies. Go and get "Electric Ladyland"..it should give you another perspective. "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" and "All Along the Watchtower" are two of the most haunting and brilliant pieces of music I have ever heard.

To me, Hendrix still hasn't gotten his just due..long live Jimi James..

Aaron

Mon Sep-18-00 09:19 AM

25. "Jimi-diggin cats"
In response to Reply # 0

I posted this in JUSTICE's thread but nobody's posting to it so I'll post it over here:

This is in part a response to KD's post about Hendrix and just some general feelings and thoughts I have about the man and his music.

He transcended.

He was a man, with a man's faults, but he transcended most of the drama that most folks are goin' through.

He destroyed himself.

Yes, he destroyed himself in most people's eyes, but would he have thought he did something different? In some of the accounts I've read, it seems as if he was tryin' to reach another plane of existence much like Coltrane. I think he considered his physical death (by any means, "natural" or not) a doorway to the next level of consciousness. I think he believed his spirit would go on forever, so in essence, the most important part of who he was did not die.

His music (to him and others) opened that doorway just a hair to that next plane of existence, whether you take drugs or not when you listen to his aural explorations. In my opinion, great music *IS* a drug. I don't know of a performance that didn't get "felt" by the majority of people who heard it. You know how many artists have albums that just aren't up to snuff, or a few songs that don't quite "take you there?" In my experience, that's not the case with Hendrix. I'm sure everyone has their faves, but can you honestly say that anything that Hendrix created sucked? If you can, let me know, 'cause I haven't heard it.

His was a raw intensity that bared his soul (and then some). His technical facility, while not as efficient or brilliant as some, spoke volumes where others were just learning how to talk. I'm not just speaking of comparing him to fellow guitar players. I'm talking about musicians, period! He bends one note and you *feel* it. His dynamic howls and feedback distortions wash over you in layers of sound that can calm and energize you all at once. He was soul, blues, funk, gospel, jazz & rock rolled into one. In my mind, a genius is not only one who masters his chosen field, but one who affects all that is around him. His spirit literally changed the world through music.

My favorite album of his is ELECTRIC LADYLAND. I haven't listened to this in so long, I feel ashamed of myself. I won't go into detail of why I like each song, but needless to say, the album had an incredible effect on me. Some critics say that his music meandered too much on some of this material. I feel that his extended explorations on this album were key to seeing who he really was and what directions he was trying to go in. They didn't *just* roll on aimlessly, they brought meaning to his concepts...a wholeness if you will. About the time I encountered this album and REALLY listened to it in its entirety, I was a sophomore in art school. It helped create an aura of freedom and inventiveness in me that few pieces of music can do. It allowed me to transcend. It inspired me. I painted with mad abandon to songs like "Voodoo Chile" and "All Along The Watchtower." This was also around the same time that I developed a voracious appetite for music. I was listening to music that I checked out from the library at a rapid pace. I had yet to get into jazz, but its my belief that Hendrix helped me to understand it and put a hunger for the music deep down in me with *his* brand of jazz.

All he wanted was to play (and create). Playing bolstered him. Playing, to him, WAS feeling. Playing was reaching out. Playing was learning. Playing was spiritual.

Mr. Hendrix....let me stand next to *your* FIRE!

Edub32

Mon Sep-18-00 12:14 PM

26. "Hendrix is FUNK"
In response to Reply # 0

Briefly,
Jimi Hendrix is the funkiest musician ever.
He's probably the greatest American born musician of all time. (classical jazz anything)
He wasn't really a rock and roll musician, his music was electrified modern blues which would be morphed into Funk after his death.
Europeans will try to claim him as a great rock guitarist but that is a falacy.
Suggested purchases would be The Band Of Gypsies
Jimi Hendrix Blues, Woodstock, or any live in concert CD's you can find, preferably with Billy Cox playing bass.
Videos would be: the making of Band of Gypsies, Jimi Hendrix the Motion Picture(not the BS on showtime), Jimi plays berkley, Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wright, Woodstock.

Jimi is the Man.

Ratso

Tue Sep-19-00 08:58 PM

28. "That's Going a Bit Far"
In response to Reply # 26

>Briefly,
>Jimi Hendrix is the funkiest musician
>ever.

Oh come on. This just isn't true. How much of his recorded output would really be classified as "funk" anyway? People take far too many liberties when discussing legends.

>He's probably the greatest American born
>musician of all time. (classical
>jazz anything)

This seems to me to be striking exaggeration. He was a brilliant writer and an incredible creative force on the guitar, and yes, we owe much of the modern development of that instrument to him, but there are many areas Jimi came up short in.

*Firstly, his singing falls somewhere between passable and unlistenable. He simply wasn't a singer, and he readily acknowledged that.

*In live settings he was often hideously sloppy. His limited singing ability becomes even more apparent, and it wasn't unusual for him to forget the lyrics to a song altogether and stumble into something else. Live, his guitar playing ranges from ethereal to just straight up slop. The drugs probably had a great deal to do with that.

*Considering all the recorded output released during his lifetime falls within a 3 year window, it seems incredibly short sighted to call him "the greatest American born musician of all time". Just as the most ready example, Prince already, in my mind, has him beat by a long shot in terms of being a complete musician.

>Jimi is the Man.

Yes, he was. I just think people tend to go overboard with his legacy.

Edub32

Wed Sep-20-00 07:26 AM

29. "RE: That's Going a Bit Far"
In response to Reply # 28

How much of his
>recorded output would really be
>classified as "funk" anyway?

At the time none of it would be considered funk. When Jimi was out, funk was pretty much James Brown style. My point is that Jimi Hendrix was the birth of the Funk movement. He is the missing link between James Brown Style and Funkadelic. Hendrix made groups like Funkadelic expand upon the music and make funk a larger more cutting edge sound. And Machine Gun is probably the funkiest song ever. It is an epic. Hendrix was responsible for influencing Miles to expand into funk. The Isley brothers also moved towards guitar driven funk themselves.

>
>This seems to me to be
>striking exaggeration. He was a
>brilliant writer and an incredible
>creative force on the guitar,
>and yes, we owe much
>of the modern development of
>that instrument to him, but
>there are many areas Jimi
>came up short in.

His singing has nothing to do with his musicianship. If you were to put some fabricated standard to judge an artist there would be some areas where Jimi wouldn't get the highest marks. My criteria is if you took the greatest of a particular instrument and judged how much more creative and relevant that person would be than the other greats of that particular instrument. Jimi is so much more creative than any other guitarist, he is definitely at the top of the list.
Jimi's funk:
Band of gypsies
Foxy Lady
Born under a bad sign
Hear my train coming

> *Firstly, his singing
>falls somewhere between passable and
>unlistenable. He simply wasn't a
>singer, and he readily acknowledged
>that.

Bob Dylan?? Jimi was a blues man. You don't judge blues men on their ability to sing. You judge them on how they communicate their message. How the sound and resonance(sic) of their voice demaonstrates the content of what their singing.
>
> *In live settings
>he was often hideously sloppy.

Not sloppy, real. Jimi live is real living music. That's what makes it great. You hear it differently every time. You marvel at the fact that such an incredibly large sound is coming from 3 people.

>His limited singing ability becomes
>even more apparent, and it
>wasn't unusual for him to
>forget the lyrics to a
>song altogether and stumble into
>something else.

Improvisational.

Live, his guitar
>playing ranges from ethereal to
>just straight up slop.

The Isles of Wright concert was a few days before Jimi's death. He was obviously depressed, broken, and drained. His playing on that concert with his cracking voice is so real and earthy. On the edge of suicide Jimi was still doing things no one else has ever done. Name one guitar player who could play both guitar parts at the same time without missing a step.

>"the greatest American born musician
>of all time". Just as
>the most ready example, Prince
>already, in my mind, has
>him beat by a long
>shot in terms of being
>a complete musician.
>
things of a shorter length often have a greater impact. Prince is a pop star. Some consider him a joke now. Jimi has been dead for 30 years and no one would consider his music out of step. Prince is great. I love P. But he will never have the legacy of Jimi Hendrix. Never.

Ratso

Thu Sep-21-00 02:53 AM

34. "Allow me to retort"
In response to Reply # 29

> How much of his
>>recorded output would really be
>>classified as "funk" anyway?
>
>At the time none of it
>would be considered funk.
>When Jimi was out, funk
>was pretty much James Brown
>style. My point is
>that Jimi Hendrix was the
>birth of the Funk movement.
> He is the missing
>link between James Brown Style
>and Funkadelic. Hendrix made
>groups like Funkadelic expand upon
>the music and make funk
>a larger more cutting edge
>sound. And Machine Gun
>is probably the funkiest song
>ever. It is an
>epic. Hendrix was responsible
>for influencing Miles to expand
>into funk. The Isley
>brothers also moved towards guitar
>driven funk themselves.

I agree with much of the above paragraph, but while Jimi carried the funk ethic and elements of his music later turned up in conventional funk, his music wasn't inherently funky in the way James' or Sly's was. Yes, it's just a word, but given the standard definition, I simply don't think that Jimi accurately fits the title of "funkiest musician ever".

>>
>>This seems to me to be
>>striking exaggeration. He was a
>>brilliant writer and an incredible
>>creative force on the guitar,
>>and yes, we owe much
>>of the modern development of
>>that instrument to him, but
>>there are many areas Jimi
>>came up short in.
>
>His singing has nothing to do
>with his musicianship.

If we're discussing solely his contributions as a guitar player or composer, then I would agree with you. But to me, the title "greatest American musician of all time" implies a certain well rounded profiency in all of one's chosen forms of musical expression. Jimi was a (sometimes painfully) poor singer.

If
>you were to put some
>fabricated standard to judge an
>artist there would be some
>areas where Jimi wouldn't get
>the highest marks. My
>criteria is if you took
>the greatest of a particular
>instrument and judged how much
>more creative and relevant that
>person would be than the
>other greats of that particular
>instrument. Jimi is so
>much more creative than any
>other guitarist, he is definitely
>at the top of the
>list.

Judging him against the standard pantheon of "guitar greats" (i.e. Clapton, Beck, Page, EVH) he is by far the most progressive and creative, yes. Broadening scope somewhat, however, I am comfortable saying that a Zappa or a Keneally often takes bigger risks with (sometimes) better aural results. It isn't that I fail to appreciate Jimi's genius, I just don't think he can fairly be given the GOAT label.

>
>> *Firstly, his singing
>>falls somewhere between passable and
>>unlistenable. He simply wasn't a
>>singer, and he readily acknowledged
>>that.
>
>
>Bob Dylan?? Jimi was a
>blues man. You don't
>judge blues men on their
>ability to sing.

But we aren't judging Jimi in the context of blues men. We're discussing "the greatest American musician in any genre or era ever". It seems to me that "greatest acid bluesman" ever would be a more apt title within the context you're providing, and I would take no issue with that claim.

You
>judge them on how they
>communicate their message. How
>the sound and resonance(sic) of
>their voice demaonstrates the content
>of what their singing.

I understand your point. But I don't think Jimi Hendrix illustrates it as well as say, Son House.
There's a difference between inspired but technically flawed singing and offkey nasal droning. Jimi often fell more towards the latter.

>> *In live settings
>>he was often hideously sloppy.
>
>Not sloppy, real. Jimi live
>is real living music. That's
>what makes it great.
>You hear it differently every
>time. You marvel at
>the fact that such an
>incredibly large sound is coming
>from 3 people.

Sometimes, yes. Other times I marvel at the fact that the audience didn't storm the box office demanding their money back. He was sometimes so out of it that they'd get through whole songs before realizing that he and Noel were playing in different keys altogether. He'd repeat verses and forget lyrics. His experiments with feedback often went from interesting to tedious to unbearable. When he was on, he was transcendental (i.e. Band of Gypsies), and when he wasn't, he sometimes sounded like shit. I don't think that's being unfair.

>
>>His limited singing ability becomes
>>even more apparent, and it
>>wasn't unusual for him to
>>forget the lyrics to a
>>song altogether and stumble into
>>something else.
>
>Improvisational.

One would hardly classify the mixup "you know you're a cute little heartbreaker....and you know you're a sweet little...uh..heartbreaker" as improvisation. It's slop, and it's an obvious trend through much of his live performances. And it's understandable given the abuse he subjected his body to, but honor his memory and have the integrity to recognize his drug-addled mistakes as such.

> Live, his guitar
>>playing ranges from ethereal to
>>just straight up slop.
>
>The Isles of Wright concert was
>a few days before Jimi's
>death. He was obviously
>depressed, broken, and drained.

I'm not sure which show you're referring to here. He played the Isle of Wight on August 30, a good three weeks in advance of his death. He then played the Isle of Fehmarn festival on September 6, his last official concert.

>His playing on that concert
>with his cracking voice is
>so real and earthy.
>On the edge of suicide
>Jimi was still doing things
>no one else has ever
>done.

Neither performance (particularly the Isle of Wight, where his playing was mostly rushed and forced) came even close to what Jimi was capable of and had demonstrated in the past. It would be nice to know that he went out on the highest note possible but our knowledge of those shows doesn't really bear that out.

Name one guitar
>player who could play both
>guitar parts at the same
>time without missing a step.

What specifically are you referring to here? Multitudes of guitarists integrate rhythm and lead parts seamlessly. Prince happens to fit this description as well.

>
>>"the greatest American born musician
>>of all time". Just as
>>the most ready example, Prince
>>already, in my mind, has
>>him beat by a long
>>shot in terms of being
>>a complete musician.
>>
>things of a shorter length often
>have a greater impact.
>Prince is a pop star.

This is irrelevant.

> Some consider him a
>joke now.

Also irrelevant.

Jimi has
>been dead for 30 years
>and no one would consider
>his music out of step.
> Prince is great.
>I love P. But
>he will never have the
>legacy of Jimi Hendrix.
>Never.

I'm not questioning his legacy. I am in complete agreement that Jimi Hendrix's likeness will be reproduced in blacklight poster form far more than Prince Rogers Nelson in the years to come. But we're discussing musical ability.

In any event, my main contention here is with the need to assign labels such as "the greatest" or "funkiest" in general. Jimi was an incredible person and musician, and contrary to the impression I've doubtlessly given above, I am a big fan of his music. I am, however, wary of kneejerk proclamations of ultimate greatness. Let's keep things in perspective.

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Wed Sep-20-00 08:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "RE: That's Going a Bit Far"
In response to Reply # 28

>>Briefly,
>>Jimi Hendrix is the funkiest musician
>>ever.
>Oh come on. This just isn't
>true. How much of his
>recorded output would really be
>classified as "funk" anyway?

Calling Jimi the funkiest is not so outlandish. He might not be my #1, but he's definitely on the list.

I mean goddam: Little Miss Lover, Spanish Castle Magic, Freedom...those ain't funky? Funkadelic based some of their funkiest joints on Jimi's riffs (compare Alice in My Fantasies with Izabella).

Just cuz they don't put you in the "funk" section of the Wrecka Stow, does that mean you ain't funky?

Jay Smooth
WBAI 99.5 FM in NY
http://www.hiphopmusic.com

"I don't NEED to be subliminable!" - George W. Bush

http://www.illdoctrine.com - where hip-hop vlogs?

Edub32

Wed Sep-20-00 08:48 AM

33. "Word"
In response to Reply # 32

My sensament exactularily.

Nij
Charter member
1413 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 02:34 PM

27. "to me"
In response to Reply # 0

Jimi's music says:

Just do what you want ... just do what you dare to dream ... just do what you dare to be ...

Jimi Hendrix is a legend because he made dreams reality.

Peace

nij

mind
matter

wabpizhiw

Wed Sep-20-00 07:53 AM

30. "RE: what's so great about Hendrix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Start with Robert Johnson...
listen to some cheap $5 compilation of his shit.
Then listen to Hendrix. Listen to Are You experienced or that Saturn Delta album that came out a few years ago. You kinda have to figure out for yourself what makes Hendrix so damn important.

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32952 Previous topic | Next topic